PDA

View Full Version : [Grantland] James Harden's Artistry of Passing is at an All-Time Level for a SG

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 06:08 PM
FULL ARTICLE (http://grantland.com/the-triangle/james-hardens-holy-mountain-how-the-rocket-man-creates-3-pointers/)

[QUOTE]Let

IncarceratedBob
03-14-2015, 06:09 PM
It's like watching peak Kobe with a beard

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 06:09 PM
http://i.gyazo.com/49a0021126b73a6ad2a89a73f4d4bacb.png

What James Harden is doing is historic. For a player how his size to be able to pass, score, shoot, rebound, and get to the line is simply at an all-time level. He can't be stopped, you can guard him as tight as you want, James Harden will find a way to positively affect Houston on offense if it's getting an assist or drawing a foul.

His first year in Houston would have ranked #27 on that list of averaging 25 PPG, being in the leaderboard of APG, while having the size of a SG. Exactly who did Oklahoma City trade for this man?

This man is gonna be a regular for this list. He's doing all of this while his team is winning in a tough Western Conference. James Harden's passing this season is up there with the best I've seen from a SG, and he's ONLY 25.

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 06:11 PM
Full list: http://bkref.com/tiny/Zr68I

Cocaine80s
03-14-2015, 06:15 PM
It's like watching peak Kobe with a beard
Kobe is a terrible passer

Foster5k
03-14-2015, 06:16 PM
:oldlol:

Grantland's love fest for Harden continues. Let's just hope Harden doesn't fade into oblivion come playoff time.

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 06:19 PM

He's #21, #22, and #28 on the list. Ahead plenty of Jordan years.

TiagoSimoes
03-14-2015, 06:20 PM

no is he isnt u idiot.

kobe is actually a great passer, even though he doesnt look for it as much as he should. stick to youtube comments

24-Inch_Chrome
03-14-2015, 06:20 PM
http://i.gyazo.com/49a0021126b73a6ad2a89a73f4d4bacb.png

What James Harden is doing is historic. For a player how his size to be able to pass, score, shoot, rebound, and get to the line is simply at an all-time level. He can't be stopped, you can guard him as tight as you want, James Harden will find a way to positively affect Houston on offense if it's getting an assist or drawing a foul.

His first year in Houston would have ranked #27 on that list of averaging 25 PPG, being in the leaderboard of APG, while having the size of a SG. Exactly who did Oklahoma City trade for this man?

This man is gonna be a regular for this list. He's doing all of this while his team is winning in a tough Western Conference. James Harden's passing this season is up there with the best I've seen from a SG, and he's ONLY 25.

Shit, Westbrook misses out on 9th by half an inch. :oldlol:

I'm not really a fan of Harden but he's having a great year, no doubt about it. Stuff like this just goes to show that he's doing a lot more than scoring, truly elite company to be in.

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 06:21 PM

Grantland's love fest for Harden continues. Let's just hope Harden doesn't fade into oblivion come playoff time.
Because averaging 26/5/5/2 as the main guy is fading...

Smoke117
03-14-2015, 06:21 PM
Oh god...tell me this not going to become a thread with kobe stans and haters arguing back and forth. THIS IS NOT A KOBE THREAD. Jesus ****ing christ this forum...

But yeah, Harden is one of the best passing sg's to come along though. He has to run the team like Dwade did pre big three and he does it just as well.

Foster5k
03-14-2015, 06:31 PM
Because averaging 26/5/5/2 as the main guy is fading...
Lol. Dude was chucking that series. His field goal % was horrible.

Cocaine80s
03-14-2015, 06:37 PM
no is he isnt u idiot.

kobe is actually a great passer, even though he doesnt look for it as much as he should. stick to youtube comments
didnt read

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Lol. Dude was chucking that series. His field goal % was horrible.
Took an Oklahoma City team w/ Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka to 6 games with Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, Cisco Garcia, Pat Beverley, and Omer Asik as his supporting cast. :yaohappy:

Took a Portland team w/ the league's best starting lineup to 6 games where the Blazers barely won that series on a buzzer beater because of Chandler Parsons' dumb retarded ass.

TiagoSimoes
03-14-2015, 06:40 PM
didnt read

the fact that u put in the work to quote me, shows that u did *******

stay dumb

Cocaine80s
03-14-2015, 06:42 PM
the fact that u put in the work to quote me, shows that u did *******

stay dumb
still did not read

Milbuck
03-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Took an Oklahoma City team w/ Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka to 6 games with Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons, Cisco Garcia, Pat Beverley, and Omer Asik as his supporting cast. :yaohappy:

Took a Portland team w/ the league's best starting lineup to 6 games where the Blazers barely won that series on a buzzer beater because of Chandler Parsons' dumb retarded ass.
Westbrook only played in the first 2 games, and OKC won both of those games. Literally the only reason Houston wasn't swept was because Beverley injured Westbrook, dude was the real MVP for Houston that series. Houston won game 4 with Harden scoring 15 points on 33% shooting with 10 turnovers, while his scrub teammate Parsons had 27/10/8 on 52% shooting :oldlol:

And as for Portland...yes...Houston took them to 6 not because of Dwight's 26/14/3 on 55% FG, but Harden's scorching 38% shooting :roll:

$LakerGold
03-14-2015, 06:52 PM
Lol. Anyone can summarize-up a play & make it sound sensational. It's not like those passes were like a dance on chess. Elite players are also capable of doing that, it just happens that James tend to do it more--which is why his APG is up there (duh).

He's a great passer, but this is just a terrible example. Next example, please.

TiagoSimoes
03-14-2015, 06:52 PM
Westbrook only played in the first 2 games, and OKC won both of those games. Literally the only reason Houston wasn't swept was because Beverley injured Westbrook, dude was the real MVP for Houston that series. Houston won game 4 with Harden scoring 15 points on 33% shooting with 10 turnovers, while his scrub teammate Parsons had 27/10/8 on 52% shooting :oldlol:

And as for Portland...yes...Houston took them to 6 not because of Dwight's 26/14/3 on 55% FG, but Harden's scorching 38% shooting :roll:

:cheers: R2C staying delusional as always. Houston = 1st rnd exit

Milbuck
03-14-2015, 06:54 PM

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Trash

Houston was 2-2 with Oklahoma City after Westbrook went down. For a team as stacked as the Thunder that year that was an all-time great playoff battle from James Harden.

Harden was the best player on either team vs. Portland and it wasn't close. Keep hating **** boy.

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Lol. Anyone can summarize-up a play & make it sound sensational. It's not like those passes were like a dance on chess. Elite players are also capable of doing that, it just happens that James tend to do it more--which is why his APG is up there (duh).

He's a great passer, but this is just a terrible example. Next example, please.
Isn't that the point? Any elite player is capable of passing off the pick and roll, it just happens that John Stockton tends to do it more.

Foster5k
03-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Keep hating **** boy.

Change your avatar. You're making your role model look bad.

Milbuck
03-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Houston was 2-2 with Oklahoma City after Westbrook went down. For a team as stacked as the Thunder that year that was an all-time great playoff battle from James Harden.
In those 4 games after Westbrook went down:

Harden: 26/6/5 on 42% FG
Parsons: 21/7/6 on 53% FG

Meanwhile, Durant: 36/9/6 on 51% FG

Yeah Harden sure was carrying a bunch of scrubs, and boy was that an ATG battle vs Durant :yaohappy:

Harden was the best player on either team vs. Portland and it wasn't close. Keep hating **** boy.
Dwight: 26/14/3 on 55% FG
Aldridge: 30/11/3 on 48% FG with back-to-back 46 and 43 point games on the road

Harden: 27/5/6 on 38% FG, missed game winner and terrible defense

:yaohappy:

Milbuck
03-14-2015, 07:01 PM
In those 4 games after Westbrook went down:

Harden: 26/6/5 on 42% FG
Parsons: 21/7/6 on 53% FG

Meanwhile, Durant: 36/9/6 on 51% FG

Yeah Harden sure was carrying a bunch of scrubs, and boy was that an ATG battle vs Durant :yaohappy:

Dwight: 26/14/3 on 55% FG
Aldridge: 30/11/3 on 48% FG with back-to-back 46 and 43 point games on the road

Harden: 27/5/6 on 38% FG, missed game winner and terrible defense

TiagoSimoes
03-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Houston was 2-2 with Oklahoma City after Westbrook went down.

no, it was 2-0. nice try

and aldrige/howard/lillard outplayed harden, get real

YouGotServed
03-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Clutchcity stay winning.
King James 4 MVP. No doubt

Foster5k
03-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Lol. These Harden stans are becoming more delusional than Bran stans.

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 07:04 PM
More Trash
I like how you didn't mention how Parsons DIDN'T lock down Durant the way Harden did Thabo. DPOY.

I also like how you didn't mention how Asik DIDN'T lock down Aldridge the way Harden did Matthews. DPOY. The fact that it took a game winner from some scrub to beat the Houston Hardens eliminates everything LMA did.

Foster5k
03-14-2015, 07:07 PM
The fact that it took a game winner from some scrub to beat the Houston Hardens eliminates everything LMA did.
Seek help man. These types of delusions aren't healthy.

Smoke117
03-14-2015, 07:10 PM
You just can't help yourself can you Milbuck? You just have to come in this thread and continue to troll like the bitch you are. We get it, you don't like James Harden. Shut your ****ing pie hole about it already.

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 07:12 PM
You just can't help yourself can you Milbuck? You just have to come in this thread and continue to troll like the bitch you are. We get it, you don't like James Harden. Shut your ****ing pie hole about it already.
Repped.

Foster5k
03-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Repped.
:facepalm

Cocaine80s
03-14-2015, 07:20 PM

Cocaine80s
03-14-2015, 07:21 PM
Repped.
hi

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 07:21 PM
You look like the guy that would like a nice red bar.

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Or green, which one?

Cocaine80s
03-14-2015, 07:23 PM
Or green, which one?
green please

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 07:28 PM
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Cocaine80s
03-14-2015, 07:30 PM
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Milbuck
03-14-2015, 07:35 PM
I will continue to say whatever the **** I want and there's literally nothing you can do about it :yaohappy:

Milbuck
03-14-2015, 07:42 PM
I like how you didn't mention how Parsons DIDN'T lock down Durant the way Harden did Thabo. DPOY.

I also like how you didn't mention how Asik DIDN'T lock down Aldridge the way Harden did Matthews. DPOY. The fact that it took a game winner from some scrub to beat the Houston Hardens eliminates everything LMA did.
Holy shit. Harden locked down Thabo Sefolosha? THE Thabo Sefolosha?

**** it, give him this year's DPOY.

But seriously, since you want to bring up defense so much, let's talk about the defense that led to Lillard shitting on Houston in game 6:

But why was Parsons on Lillard in the first place? Why wasn't Patrick Beverley — who, even fighting through a fever and a month removed from a torn meniscus, is still the Rockets' best perimeter defender — locked on Lillard? Well, Beverley was on Lillard at the start of the possession, with Parsons on Williams ... but the two switched assignments just before the whistle blew, apparently at the behest of James Harden, for reasons that remain unclear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNgf_-Yqu9c

It appears McHale is telling his players to just stay with their guys on the final possession, and not to switch their assignments or switch on screens. :yaohappy:

Milbuck
03-14-2015, 07:43 PM
Holy shit. Harden locked down Thabo Sefolosha? THE Thabo Sefolosha?

**** it, give him this year's DPOY.

But seriously, since you want to bring up defense so much, let's talk about the defense that led to Lillard shitting on Houston in game 6:

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Even More Trash

tl'dr

btw theres a fight going on on BTE

Milbuck
03-14-2015, 07:45 PM
For real though, Harden is a sick passer. One of the best all-around offensive players I've ever seen. I'm just ****ing sick of him relying so much on drawing FTs. If he ever cuts that bullshit and just plays to his real skills, he could dominate in the playoffs as much as anyone in the league.

DatAsh
03-14-2015, 07:55 PM
Oh god...tell me this not going to become a thread with kobe stans and haters arguing back and forth. THIS IS NOT A KOBE THREAD. Jesus ****ing christ this forum...

But yeah, Harden is one of the best passing sg's to come along though. He has to run the team like Dwade did pre big three and he does it just as well.

His game somewhat resembles Wade's.

KG215
03-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Shit, Westbrook misses out on 9th by half an inch. :oldlol:

I'm not really a fan of Harden but he's having a great year, no doubt about it. Stuff like this just goes to show that he's doing a lot more than scoring, truly elite company to be in.
If you're having to put more than three criteria into your "season finder" search on BBR, you're trying too hard.

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Not sure if that's directed to me using three criterias. I used the height just because that's the average height for a SG.

SamuraiSWISH
03-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Harden is a better passer, vision wise, and skill wise than Westbrook. More willing mentality to do it as well. Thought he was better passer, creator, and facilitator for that 2012 Thunder team too. One of the unfortunate reasons he left. He could've played PG, and Westbrook his natural position at SG.

Wade's Rings
03-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Harden is a better passer, vision wise, and skill wise than Westbrook. More willing mentality to do it as well. Thought he was better passer, creator, and facilitator for that 2012 Thunder team too. One of the unfortunate reasons he left. He could've played PG, and Westbrook his natural position at SG.

Hey Swish do you think Jordan is the GOAT Passing SG or Wade? Or someone else?

navy
03-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Yep. People out here pretending it didnt work. OKC just cheap as fvck.

navy
03-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Jerry West probably.

SamuraiSWISH
03-14-2015, 10:10 PM
It's kind of an oxymoron given the actual nature for the position, but I mean Wade had multiple seasons where he averaged 7 close to 8 apg.

He was a great creator, vision, and passer off the bounce or slash.

MJ had an 8 apg season when he saw a lot of time as Chicago's main ball handler just to end the '89 season. I'd put Wade as GOAT passing SG along with Jerry West. MJ close behind.

But Wade, and Jerry West when they were putting up their best APG numbers were basically combo guards and not true SGs.

SHAQisGOAT
03-14-2015, 10:49 PM
It's kind of an oxymoron given the actual nature for the position, but I mean Wade had multiple seasons where he averaged 7 close to 8 apg.

He was a great creator, vision, and passer off the bounce or slash.

MJ had an 8 apg season when he saw a lot of time as Chicago's main ball handler just to end the '89 season. I'd put Wade as GOAT passing SG along with Jerry West. MJ close behind.

But Wade, and Jerry West when they were putting up their best APG numbers were basically combo guards and not true SGs.

For SG's, as far as pure passing skills, I'd probably have West at #1, with Pistol Pete being 2nd and Reggie Theus 3rd.

Then followed by players like Manu, Wade, Jordan, Drexler, Alvin Robertson, Kobe, Dumars, AI, Hornacek, Westphal, Monroe.....

RightToCensor
03-15-2015, 12:17 AM
For SG's, as far as pure passing skills, I'd probably have West at #1, with Pistol Pete being 2nd and Reggie Theus 3rd.

Then followed by players like Manu, Wade, Jordan, Drexler, Alvin Robertson, Kobe, Dumars, AI, Hornacek, Westphal, Monroe.....
I'd comfortably put Harden up there with that 4th tier.

hahaitme
03-15-2015, 02:26 AM

This would have been a deadly combo.

$LakerGold
03-15-2015, 02:33 AM
Isn't that the point? Any elite player is capable of passing off the pick and roll, it just happens that John Stockton tends to do it more.
Should we start stating the obvious now. -_-

They found their success on PNR's & they stuck to it. It was the Jazz's way of getting high % shots, whereas Harden's basically taking advantage of blindside flare screens--two difference cases. & anyone can do that, it's basketball 101, if you see a double team coming, it's best to pass it to the open man. lol. While it does take a skilled player to persistently pull PNR's off like Stockton.

http://i.gyazo.com/9e67f56c42e160fba169183e4544b411.png
What kind of example is this? They iced him & he obviously sees the double team coming from the weak side forcing the defense to rotate, so what does he do? Passes it across the court to Beverly. Yeah, Lebron nor Kobe have never done this before.

I'm telling you, this is just a shit example, RTC. Find another one.

Edit: They iced him, so it forced the player from the weak side to rotate leading to an open 3 in Beverly.