PDA

View Full Version : If Gobert was in the 2015 draft

Ca$H
03-15-2015, 10:29 AM
What pick would you take him knowing what you know about him now?

The Top Prospects: Towns, Okafor, Mudiay, Russell, WCS.

handbanana
03-15-2015, 10:37 AM
61st

LoneyROY7
03-15-2015, 10:54 AM
What pick would you take him knowing what you know about him know?

Ahead of WCS, behind the rest.

kurple
03-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Ahead of WCS, behind the rest.
this

CakeorDeath
03-15-2015, 12:14 PM
What pick would you take him knowing what you know about him know?

There's no way he doesn't go #1. If you had said that he'd enter the draft with the same scouting report as teams had when he was drafted two years ago it would be different, but you're basically asking if I would draft any 2015 college player over a guy who has established himself as a dominant force in the league, a DPOY candidate and the anchor of the league's best defense at only 22 years of age.

KAT and Okafor aren't dominating college the way Gobert is dominating the NBA and Mudiay is this draft's Exum; intriguing international but who really knows how his game will translate.

Maybe the best way to answer this question is to try to imagine what Rudy would be doing if he were playing in college right now. His stats and dominance would be off the charts (they are in the NBA anyway) and no one would be talking about anyone going #1 but him.

Or, to put it another way, if you are asking would I take any 2015 college player over a 22 year old second year NBA player currently averaging 11 points, 13 boards, 3.5 blocks, 2 assists, and a steal over 36 minutes, the answer is no, I wouldn't

Suguru101
03-15-2015, 12:25 PM
If Gobert had played in college at the level he is playing now in the NBA.... He'd have been considered the unanimous number 1. He'd have gotten hype as the next Russell and everything.

The guy is doing special things here on the NBA against playoff teams, imagine what he'd do to NCAA teams? :biggums:

IncarceratedBob
03-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Okafor is basically Gobert with elite offense

SwishSquared
03-15-2015, 12:31 PM
There's no way he doesn't go #1. If you had said that he'd enter the draft with the same scouting report as teams had when he was drafted two years ago it would be different, but you're basically asking if I would draft any 2015 college player over a guy who has established himself as a dominant force in the league, a DPOY candidate and the anchor of the league's best defense at only 22 years of age.

KAT and Okafor aren't dominating college the way Gobert is dominating the NBA and Mudiay is this draft's Exum; intriguing international but who really knows how his game will translate.

Maybe the best way to answer this question is to try to imagine what Rudy would be doing if he were playing in college right now. His stats and dominance would be off the charts (they are in the NBA anyway) and no one would be talking about anyone going #1 but him.

Or, to put it another way, if you are asking would I take any 2015 college player over a 22 year old second year NBA player currently averaging 11 points, 13 boards, 3.5 blocks, 2 assists, and a steal over 36 minutes, the answer is no, I wouldn'tI mostly agree. The only guy I'd possibly take over him would be Towns, and that's projecting that his offensive potential would at least compensate for whatever drop in defense would occur.

A rookie scale DPOY candidate that moves well and who drastically changes a franchise's outlook is likely to get drafted over two PGs with differing holes in their games and a C who's a fairly worse defender and FT shooter. Towns may be benefiting more from a stacked squad than we realize b/c he doesn't have to be 'the man' as often as guys on other teams (or even get the chance to do so), although I think he's gonna be great.

Suguru101
03-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Okafor is basically Gobert with elite offense

Okafor sucks defensively. It's a major concern about him.

Okafor's offense isn't as impactful as Gobert's defense (the Jazz are 12-2 since he is starting), and Gobert is better offensively than Okafor is defensively.

Gobert is doing it in the NBA, that guy is playing College players.

kurple
03-15-2015, 12:59 PM
gobert is getting a bit overrated on ISH

its like he gets all the credit for Utah's great run.

He's a future 10 time DPOY candidate. But so is WCS imo

I would not take Gobert over any of the top4, knowing his limits offensively

Fudge
03-15-2015, 01:14 PM

Let's be real, you're just mad Denver fucced up.

kurple
03-15-2015, 01:22 PM
nurkic > gobert in 3 years

but i do wish we would have gotten more from gobert, but the deal was probably agreed way before he was drafted

i'm just exited about the new wave of great bigmen. unlike you "basketball fans"

Giaodollo
03-15-2015, 01:28 PM

WCS is definitely not a perennial DPOY candidate, that is absurd. Gobert is the runaway DPOY since the all star break. Had he started all season long there wouldn't even be a debate about who the DPOY would have been.

Has a 86 DRTG past 12 games.

Fudge
03-15-2015, 01:29 PM
Lmfao Nurkic. Yeah, no.

Giaodollo
03-15-2015, 01:35 PM
nurkic > gobert in 3 years

but i do wish we would have gotten more from gobert, but the deal was probably agreed way before he was drafted

i'm just exited about the new wave of great bigmen. unlike you "basketball fans"

I think Nurkic will be a great rebounder, good scorer, but not a very good defensive player.

He is not very mobile and even though he'll be able to hold his ground against strong centers he can't cover as much ground as Gobert. Gobert is like a 7'1 Anthony Davis, one second he is challenging a center and if the center kicks it out he is running to block the shooter on the wing. His defensive impact at 22 is just on a next level.

Xiao Yao You
03-15-2015, 01:35 PM

He deserves all the credit he gets. Jazz sucked before he made them relevant. They went from one of the worst defenses to the best. He'll be fine offensively.

kurple
03-15-2015, 01:36 PM
Has a 86 DRTG past 12 games.
the number that stands out the most is 12. its just 12 games

lol fudge, i was watching gobert before you knew you were gay

nurkic is a different player, but he's a future all defensive candidate while being a real threat on offense at the same time.

I really, really like rudy. But Nurk is my man

Fudge
03-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Nah, Gobert > Nurkic

This year. Next year. In 3 years. In 10 years. It ain't changing.

kurple
03-15-2015, 01:40 PM
He deserves all the credit he gets. Jazz sucked before he made them relevant. They went from one of the worst defenses to the best. He'll be fine offensively.you cant be serious? how bout gameplan, coaching changes or the other 4 guys + bench playing better defense?

kurple
03-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Nah, Gobert > Nurkic

This year
agreed

Giaodollo
03-15-2015, 01:41 PM
the number that stands out the most is 12. its just 12 games

lol fudge, i was watching gobert before you knew you were gay

nurkic is a different player, but he's a future all defensive candidate while being a real threat on offense at the same time.

I really, really like rudy. But Nurk is my man

I get that Nurkic is on your team and you'll have a bias just like me with Gobert. But he has a 93 DRTG if you look 25 games back but most of those games he was coming off the bench.

Giaodollo
03-15-2015, 01:43 PM
you cant be serious? how bout gameplan, coaching changes or the other 4 guys + bench playing better defense?

I think the biggest reason is trading Kanter and giving more time too Gobert. I always underrated the impact a defense only player had on a team but it is like day and night seeing the Jazz now.

Pushxx
03-15-2015, 01:47 PM
I've seen some of his games. He's legit. If he has the passion to be good and stays healthy, he is a big piece.

SwishSquared
03-15-2015, 02:01 PM
He deserves all the credit he gets. Jazz sucked before he made them relevant. They went from one of the worst defenses to the best. He'll be fine offensively.He deserves a bunch of credit for this defensive turnaround, but I honestly think not playing Kanter anymore helps the cause. Negative net rating playing with both Favors and Gobert, who are #6 and #1 in rim protection, respectively, over full season. Favors is starting to have big games more often it seems. Exum's perimeter D also helps, but his impact drops off < 15 feet from hoop.

I love Nurkic and think you guys really fleeced the Bulls in that trade, so it makes up for losing out on Gobert some. But I would be semi surprised if Nurkic is close to Gobert's level defensively. I think no question he'll be better on offense, though. Nurkic needs to work on endurance if he wants to play big mins and should do a better job of managing his fouls (6.5/36 mins this year).

Interesting debate if Nurkic's offense grows big time. He still is 2 years away from that discussion though.

Xiao Yao You
03-15-2015, 02:10 PM
you cant be serious? how bout gameplan, coaching changes or the other 4 guys + bench playing better defense?

Yeah Rudy has made everybody step up. He's made everybody's job's easier. He's carried them. They were a joke without his presence the first month plus of the season. Now they're built around him. Give whoever you want credit but they were tanking and now they can't without benching Rudy.