PDA

View Full Version : John Oliver goes in on March Madness

LosBulls
03-16-2015, 06:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8BXH3SJn0

Its some bullshit how colleges make so much damn money off March Madness yet players don't even get paid..

I mean players don't need to be paid millions like in the NBA, and maybe not all players should be paid, but damnit pay them something.

Even allowing players to be sponsored and paying them minimum wage for practice/games would be better than being paid NOTHING.

It's completely unfair.

AnaheimLakers24
03-16-2015, 06:22 AM
They shouldf orce the hottest, bustiest, thickest, big booty girls in the school to bang em.

RoseCity07
03-16-2015, 06:25 AM
College basketball is so boring. The NCAA title game is the only thing is even remotely exciting. That's only if a few top prospects are playing.

ralph_i_el
03-16-2015, 06:30 AM
College players should be able to get minimum wage and get a bonus for every tournament game.

buddha
03-16-2015, 06:40 AM
They shouldf orce the hottest, bustiest, thickest, big booty girls in the school to bang em.

theres no need to force

buddha
03-16-2015, 07:02 AM
College players should be able to get minimum wage and get a bonus for every tournament game.

they should get salaries depending on the school, bigger more profitable schools like UK should be paying kids atleast 60k while the smaller schools will probably be around 15k.

fiddy
03-16-2015, 07:50 AM
They are getting scholarship, arent they? :confusedshrug:

bagelred
03-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Been saying this forever. This whole NCAA is system is a sham. It's like slave labor. Coaches make millions, universities make millions, networks make millions....the kid who actually plays the game, if you buy him a sandwich, it's illegal. :lol

ISH, "But but but but...they're amateurs! :oldlol: " It's amazing how people can be convinced of anything...the whole system is ridiculous.

buddha
03-16-2015, 08:17 AM

STFU and watch the video you punk

24-Inch_Chrome
03-16-2015, 08:24 AM
The NCAA is the third worst major sports governing body/organization in the world imo, behind only the IOC and FIFA. That's not great company to be in.

It's not even the lack of a salary that bugs me, it's all the silly restrictions on them. They give everything they have to the school in exchange for a) a small chance of going pro b) a shitty degree/lack of a legitimate education (Swahili, really?) or c) a suspension/injury that kills their shot at either. It's insane that March Madness pulls in a billion dollars, it's even more insane that none of that money makes it to the athletes.

talkingconch
03-16-2015, 08:31 AM
did you even watch the video?

you are dumb holy shit

fiddy
03-16-2015, 08:35 AM
did you even watch the video?

you are dumb holy shit
Suck a d you ignorant clown, i dont have 20 minutes in the middle of my working day.

LosBulls
03-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Suck a d you ignorant clown, i dont have 20 minutes in the middle of my working day.
Then don't fu cking comment on something if you don't know what you're talking about.

fiddy
03-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Then don't fu cking comment on something if you don't know what you're talking about.
Dont even try to tell me what to do. I didnt even comment, just made a assumption/guess.

FreezingTsmoove
03-16-2015, 09:29 AM
**** getting payed these nikkas get to be on freaking tv which equala young hot tang being given to them from their female peers at college. My nikkas they getting payed in *****

BigTicket
03-16-2015, 09:30 AM
"student athlete" is some serious bullshit.

At an absolute minimum the students should be insured for injuries, and be guarenteed an actual education rather than these nonsense paper classes.

thefatmiral
03-16-2015, 11:32 AM
they grown they can make their own decisions. the rule of 1 yr of college is corrupt.

sammichoffate
03-16-2015, 12:34 PM
NCAA March Sadness 2015 :(

imnew09
03-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Most yall never played a sport before. Not surprised most of yall are fat a$$es that dont even go outside. Its truly a team basketball and great feeling/accomplishment to make it that far. Besides , they are enjoying the sport that they love the most and want to have a great college experience. These college kids party hard man and if they are athlete, they get to fk so many girls.

sammichoffate
03-16-2015, 01:01 PM
Most yall never played a sport before. Not surprised most of yall are fat a$$es that dont even go outside. Its truly a team basketball and great feeling/accomplishment to make it that far. Besides , they are enjoying the sport that they love the most and want to have a great college experience. These college kids party hard man and if they are athlete, they get to fk so many girls.1. I played basketball in High School and continue to play it today.
2. Is it really an accomplishment when you're not being properly compensated for all your hard work?
3. Like Richard Sherman said, your entire schedule throughout the day is class, practice, meetings, games, and then attempting to study with literally zero time on a class that is useless(Swahili). They rarely party like you think, and probably don't fk as many girls as you think.
4. You clearly didn't watch the ****ing video, so shut the **** up about something you clearly have no idea about. NCAA is corrupt as shit and needs to be ****ing dismantled.

Rake2204
03-16-2015, 01:04 PM
Most yall never played a sport before. Not surprised most of yall are fat a$$es that dont even go outside. Its truly a team basketball and great feeling/accomplishment to make it that far. Besides , they are enjoying the sport that they love the most and want to have a great college experience. These college kids party hard man and if they are athlete, they get to fk so many girls.I don't think not getting paid means these players are having an awful time. But I must admit I imagine I'd have a little bit of an issue if I played for a big-time D-I school, was a big part of putting butts in the seats every night, yet my coach is raking in $4 million a year (and more when accounting for commercials, camps, etc.).

Getting a free education is a very nice touch but sometimes I feel that free education is used as a Get Out of Jail Free card for any criticism of college sports. Getting that free education is a worthy deal, up to a point. But when college athletics are even cashing in on the "official ladder" of cutting down nets, I'm unsure if the calls of a free education are always equal and rightful.

It's a weird balance. No doubt, if I were Chris Webber and I was getting a University of Michigan education for free - that'd be pretty freaking awesome up front. But then again, if I ended up seeing my #4 jersey selling like hotcakes... because of me... yet it's everyone except for me who'll take the money from those sales - that'd probably irk me a bit, even if I was having a glorious time.

KyrieTheFuture
03-16-2015, 01:08 PM
It makes no sense to me that kids can't accept money outside of the school. A student on an academic scholarship can accept all kinds of shit but not one on an athletic one?

sammichoffate
03-16-2015, 01:09 PM
I don't think not getting paid means these players are having an awful time. But I must admit I imagine I'd have a little bit of an issue if I played for a big-time D-I school, was a big part of putting butts in the seats every night, yet my coach is raking in $4 million a year (and more when accounting for commercials, camps, etc.).

Getting a free education is a very nice touch but sometimes I feel that free education is used as a Get Out of Jail Free card for any criticism of college sports. Getting that free education is a worthy deal, up to a point. But when college athletics are even cashing in on the "official ladder" of cutting down nets, I'm unsure if the calls of a free education are always equal and rightful.

It's a weird balance. No doubt, if I were Chris Webber and I was getting a University of Michigan education for free - that'd be pretty freaking awesome up front. But then again, if I ended up seeing my #4 jersey selling like hotcakes... because of me... yet it's everyone except for me who'll take the money from those sales - that'd probably irk me a bit, even if I was having a glorious time.The education they get is awful so it's not even worth it, plus it's racist as shit. Why on earth would you pair Swahili with African American Studies? One guy in the video even said he didn't ****ing learn anything after he finished the class :facepalm If I were Webber, i'd be pissed as shit. My coach makes ****ing 4 million while I can't even accept a slice of pizza from someone without being fined?

sammichoffate
03-16-2015, 01:11 PM
It makes no sense to me that kids can't accept money outside of the school. A student on an academic scholarship can accept all kinds of shit but not one on an athletic one?It's literally modern day indentured servitude dude, it's ****ing sick.

imnew09
03-16-2015, 01:14 PM
1. I played basketball in High School and continue to play it today.
2. Is it really an accomplishment when you're not being properly compensated for all your hard work?
3. Like Richard Sherman said, your entire schedule throughout the day is class, practice, meetings, games, and then attempting to study with literally zero time on a class that is useless(Swahili). They rarely party like you think, and probably don't fk as many girls as you think.
4. You clearly didn't watch the ****ing video, so shut the **** up about something you clearly have no idea about. NCAA is corrupt as shit and needs to be ****ing dismantled.

Of course I didn't watch the video because it's one-sided. Not properly compensated? They're getting free education. These are just college students, how arrogant and cocky would it make them feel if they are racking up millions playing COLLEGE basketball :facepalm. No one is pointing gun at these kids to choose the basketball life right? They know whats ahead of them and chose the basketball path in college.

"They rarely party" LOL they throw down the biggest party in college man :facepalm you're one sad virgin

Lebron23
03-16-2015, 01:15 PM
They need to allow these good hs players to join the NBA Draft straight out of high school.

KyrieTheFuture
03-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Of course I didn't watch the video because it's one-sided. Not properly compensated? They're getting free education. These are just college students, how arrogant and cocky would it make them feel if they are racking up millions playing COLLEGE basketball :facepalm. No one is pointing gun at these kids to choose the basketball life right? They know whats ahead of them and chose the basketball path in college.

"They rarely party" LOL they throw down the biggest party in college man :facepalm you're one sad virgin
You didn't go to college so what the **** would you know?

sammichoffate
03-16-2015, 01:22 PM

"They rarely party" LOL they throw down the biggest party in college man :facepalm you're one sad virgin1. You clearly didn't read what I wrote about their education being full of shit.
2. You have no right to comment on this issue if you can't even listen to different arguments and consider their validity.
3. You're not making any arguments based on facts, but assumptions.
4. No one's asking them to get paid a million, or even a couple hundred thousand a year.
5. It's their right to choose, but they should have a goddamn slice of the ****ing pie. Their schools rake in a ****ton of money a year and they get none of it.
6. They only party at the end of the season. If they party during the season, they're going to get ****ed up before a game and most likely get their scholarship taken away.
7. Hold this L for me.

sammichoffate
03-16-2015, 01:23 PM
They need to allow these good hs players to join the NBA Draft straight out of high school.There's some issues with this, but I agree. Least high school players aren't pimped out by their high schools, the exploitation isn't nearly as bad as the NCAA.

HomieWeMajor
03-16-2015, 01:30 PM
These players are tapdancing on stage for those colleges.
http://www.miscupload.com/upload7/853386515288658131169264.gif
"Want me to show you sum moe tricks massa ? "

KyrieTheFuture
03-16-2015, 01:34 PM
How would this work in any other profession? Take a bank, you think you could get away with not paying salaries because "you're teaching them valuable information"

warriorfan
03-16-2015, 01:39 PM

:roll:

sammichoffate
03-16-2015, 01:40 PM
How would this work in any other profession? Take a bank, you think you could get away with not paying salaries because "you're teaching them valuable information"Welcome to college education in the US 101. Value of the information gained isn't always equivalent to the cost.

imnew09
03-16-2015, 01:42 PM
1. You clearly didn't read what I wrote about their education being full of shit.
2. You have no right to comment on this issue if you can't even listen to different arguments and consider their validity.
3. You're not making any arguments based on facts, but assumptions.
4. No one's asking them to get paid a million, or even a couple hundred thousand a year.
5. It's their right to choose, but they should have a goddamn slice of the ****ing pie. Their schools rake in a ****ton of money a year and they get none of it.
6. They only party at the end of the season. If they party during the season, they're going to get ****ed up before a game and most likely get their scholarship taken away.
7. Hold this L for me.

You can't even make an argument writing sentences but bullet points :facepalm Not surprised you never went to college, and never got to experience the college life. Yes their school do make money, but how about the expenses of these players? You paying for them or what. You're done and I've already made my points with facts, and I don't want to repeat myself.

Hold this D for me

KyrieTheFuture
03-16-2015, 01:54 PM
You can't even make an argument writing sentences but bullet points :facepalm Not surprised you never went to college, and never got to experience the college life. Yes their school do make money, but how about the expenses of these players? You paying for them or what. You're done and I've already made my points with facts, and I don't want to repeat myself.

Hold this D for me
:roll: :roll: :roll: oh yea those two things are definitely on par with each other

Heavincent
03-16-2015, 02:03 PM
The "student-athlete" term is the biggest sham there is. Utterly ridiculous.

oarabbus
03-16-2015, 02:08 PM

:roll:

sammichoffate
03-16-2015, 02:55 PM

Hold this D for me1. Bullet points are used to explain parts of my argument you uneducated ****.
2. I attend FAU, nice try though.
3. Lol, no comment
4. You've done nothing but prove your own ignorance by not going to college
5. Rent free :lol

sammichoffate
03-16-2015, 02:55 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: oh yea those two things are definitely on par with each otherTrying so hard :roll:

UK2K
03-16-2015, 02:56 PM
STFU and watch the video you punk

Yeah but he also didn't hit on the idea that you could ride the bench on a football scholarship and graduate with any degree you want free of charge. You can bitch and complain about how hard Richard Sherman thinks his schedule was, but I don't think thats shit compared to paying your own way through school, going to school full time, and working 40 hours per week on top of it like I do.

So he can kiss my ass, cause I'd trade places with a football star who has tutors and online submissions and gets treated like a king and probably gets his dick sucked 10 times a day.

Not saying every student athlete gets that, but, many do.

But you're telling me you can go to school at Wake Forest or Duke or Notre Dame and get a chemical engineering degree absolutely free, and get to be able to play basketball/football at the same time? Oh, cry me a river.

So, no, I don't feel sorry for him or any other athlete.

Edit: Not to mention if you put forth the effort to graduate with a good degree, you'll probably make more than your friends who go three years in the NBA and flame out.

sammichoffate
03-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Yeah but he also didn't hit on the idea that you could ride the bench on a football scholarship and graduate with any degree you want free of charge. You can bitch and complain about how hard Richard Sherman thinks his schedule was, but I don't think thats shit compared to paying your own way through school, going to school full time, and working 40 hours per week on top of it like I do.

So he can kiss my ass, cause I'd trade places with a football star who has tutors and online submissions and gets treated like a king and probably gets his dick sucked 10 times a day.

Not saying every student athlete gets that, but, many do.

But you're telling me you can go to school at Wake Forest or Duke or Notre Dame and get a chemical engineering degree absolutely free, and get to be able to play basketball/football at the same time? Oh, cry me a river.

So, no, I don't feel sorry for him or any other athlete.You make a good point about the free rider issue, Oliver didn't really address that point. That issue isn't as bad as the athletes not getting paid though, I do feel for the ones that bust their ****ing asses for nothing but Swahili and African-American Studies. How the **** would that help them find a career after school? It's amazing tbh

imnew09
03-16-2015, 03:00 PM
1. Bullet points are used to explain parts of my argument you uneducated ****.
2. I attend FAU, nice try though.
3. Lol, no comment
4. You've done nothing but prove your own ignorance by not going to college
5. Rent free :lol

Da fu is FAU? F@ggots An@lize University or what?!

SugarHill
03-16-2015, 03:01 PM
John Oliver is GOAT

sammichoffate
Da fu is FAU? F@ggots An@lize University or what?!Not surprised you wouldn't know, considering you can google search it and get back to me you ignorant chimpanzee :lol

imnew09
You make a good point about the free rider issue, Oliver didn't really address that point. That issue isn't as bad as the athletes not getting paid though, I do feel for the ones that bust their ****ing asses for nothing but Swahili and African-American Studies. How the **** would that help them find a career after school? It's amazing tbh

You are contradicting yourself man. That F@ggot school must be doing you wonders

Chadwin
03-16-2015, 03:02 PM
The NBA needs to change the rule back. I don't like this one and done crap.

ISHGoat
03-16-2015, 03:06 PM
:lol :lol :lol

Imnew09 taking the L train hard in this thread

Guys go easy on him, he isnt very educated, try to use simple words to not confused him.

R.I.P.
03-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Yeah but he also didn't hit on the idea that you could ride the bench on a football scholarship and graduate with any degree you want free of charge.

Well you can study more or less for free in a lot of Western European countries. Since the education is the most important aspect, I assume Alabama also have a five star pool in the library, so once a student

Timmy D for MVP
03-16-2015, 03:35 PM
Oliver makes a fantastic point. If you are so concerned about the amateur status then ignore the sponsorship opportunities.

But as long as the institution makes the amount of money it makes it will always be a complete sham that none of the people who make that money for the schools see any of it.

Joyner82reload
03-16-2015, 04:09 PM
It's comical how people marginalize an education. Not to mention the fact that college athletes are GOD on campuses. I guarantee you the majority of elite athletes prefer college life to NBA life.

OnFire
03-16-2015, 04:16 PM
If the players think they are getting a bad deal they should go play in europe for 1 year instead so they don't have to put up with the Sham. The truth is those players need the colleges more than the colleges need them. If March Madness is still making money then it is off the names of the colleges and the tournament excitement and not really the players because 90% of the Marque players are gone after one year. Most people don't even know who they are when they tune in. There are maybe 5 exceptions per year out of all the players. If that.

R.I.P.
03-16-2015, 04:19 PM
It's comical how people marginalize an education.

You know how other Western countries view education. It should be free and open to every person, no matter their social background. They

OnFire
03-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Actually if they pay anyone it should be former ncaa players. Current NCAA players are detracting from the dollars if anything.

Joyner82reload
03-16-2015, 04:20 PM
If the players think they are getting a bad deal they should go play in europe for 1 year instead. The truth is those players need the colleges more than the colleges need them. If March Madness is still making money then it is off the names of the colleges and the tournament excitement and not really the players because 90% of the Marque players are gone after one year. Most people don't even know who they are when they tune in. There are maybe 5 exceptions per year out of all the players. If that.

Not even that. The only players that have been serious draws in CBB over the past few years generally weren't NBA quality players at the time. Look at Curry for instance, he wasn't NBA ready when he was bringing in big ratings, he developed during his last season. Durant is one of the very few examples of a player that was NBA ready that brought in ratings and that's because he was all time level of dominant at the college level as a freshman. Look at Andrew Wiggins, do you think people were really watching Kansas solely to watch him put up 15 ppg on average efficiency?

NCAAB is COMPLETELY different from the NBA, nobody watches college for a player. They watch them for the teams, which is why March Madness is such a big draw.

Joyner82reload
03-16-2015, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]You know how other Western countries view education. It should be free and open to every person, no matter their social background. They

R.I.P.
03-16-2015, 04:22 PM
Not even that. The only players that have been serious draws in CBB over the past few years generally weren't NBA quality players at the time. Look at Curry for instance, he wasn't NBA ready when he was bringing in big ratings, he developed during his last season. Durant is one of the very few examples of a player that was NBA ready that brought in ratings and that's because he was all time level of dominant at the college level as a freshman. Look at Andrew Wiggins, do you think people were really watching Kansas solely to watch him put up 15 ppg on average efficiency?

NCAAB is COMPLETELY different from the NBA, nobody watches college for a player. They watch them for the teams, which is why March Madness is such a big draw.

That

OnFire
03-16-2015, 04:27 PM
There is NO substitute to college life, none. If you've gone to a university and experienced the atmosphere as a social individual, you would realize it is truly a once in a lifetime experience that you will find nowhere else in life. Period. You act like players can't take out insurances policies to protect their future potential earnings in case of an injury.

And pay for it how though? If players are complaining about buying meals or getting rides to places how are they supposed to take out an insurance policy?

Insurance should come with the scholarship IMO. But he can't get me to agree that the players are the draw in college basketball. I believe even in college football if you took out the best 1000 players and inserted the next 1000 players that didn't get a scholarship at the bottom and pushed everyone up 1000 slots, ratings wouldn't change 1 single bit. Jerseys are the draw in college football too as little as people want to admit. When Bama sucked they sold out, Michigan has sucked and putting 120k in seats. How is that the players drawing the dollars? As long as they have SOME players, anyway.

R.I.P.
03-16-2015, 04:27 PM
There is NO substitute to college life, none. If you've gone to a university and experienced the atmosphere as a social individual, you would realize it is truly a once in a lifetime experience that you will find nowhere else in life. Period.

How does that address the point of it being free in other Western countries. Is it only special, if you pay 100.000 dollars for it?

You act like players can't take out insurances policies to protect their future potential earnings in case of an injury.

How do they pay those insurance policies? With love and air. :hammerhead:

Joyner82reload
03-16-2015, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]That

Joyner82reload
03-16-2015, 04:31 PM
How does that address the point of it being free in other Western countries. Is it only special, if you pay 100.000 dollars for it?

How do they pay those insurance policies? With love and air. :hammerhead:

The universities pay for their insurance policies a lot of times, idiot. And given players future earning potential, if they're a future top 10 pick coming out of high school, then they should EASILY be capable of finding a bank that will give them a loan at a high interest rate allowing them to secure a loan against injuries.

imnew09
03-16-2015, 04:31 PM

Why do you keep addressing about Western countries? This is the U.S man,you don't think it's costly for a US citizen to study abrod? By the way, a lot of international students come to the U.S for that U.S degree. GTFO

OnFire
03-16-2015, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]That

OnFire
03-16-2015, 04:40 PM
Screw free college. Let the people who care about the school they go to pay the stupid cost of the expensive degrees and i'll fly through my online class at random online school and go collect my checks.

If kids want to go to college then suck it up and get the schcolarship payment. If they dont the go play in the minor leagues of basketball like most top baseball players do.

Joyner82reload
03-16-2015, 04:42 PM
If the NBAPA keeps on, they're eventually going to land themselves in a situation where the minimum age if increased to 3 years in college or that rookie contracts will be scaled down to oblivion like baseball.

Teanett
03-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Why do you keep addressing about Western countries? This is the U.S man,you don't think it's costly for a US citizen to study abrod? By the way, a lot of international students come to the U.S for that U.S degree. GTFO

:rolleyes:

cost of tuition for the summer semester 2015 in berlin: 295,57

Timmy D for MVP
03-16-2015, 04:44 PM
If the players think they are getting a bad deal they should go play in europe for 1 year instead so they don't have to put up with the Sham. The truth is those players need the colleges more than the colleges need them. If March Madness is still making money then it is off the names of the colleges and the tournament excitement and not really the players because 90% of the Marque players are gone after one year. Most people don't even know who they are when they tune in. There are maybe 5 exceptions per year out of all the players. If that.

This is ridiculous. Who plays for these teams? The players. They're making money because the players are playing games. It doesn't matter if you know them or not.

Like.... what are some of you even talking about?

OnFire
03-16-2015, 04:50 PM
This is ridiculous. Who plays for these teams? The players. They're making money because the players are playing games. It doesn't matter if you know them or not.

Like.... what are some of you even talking about?

But it's players who obviously feels an NCAA scholarship and whatever money they get under the table is worth it vs playing minor league basketball. If it wasn't worth it then they wouldn't go.

If they go its worth it automatically... what i'm talking about something is worth what someone will accept for it. As long as someone, still thinks playing college basketball is worth the current system then I think they will keep making the same dollars.

Yes obviously they need SOMEONE to play, what i'm saying is, the quality doesn't really matter. And since still the rosters are full, with nearly ZERO nba quality players per team, obviously its worth it, OR THEY WOULD NOT DO IT.

imnew09
03-16-2015, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=Teanett]:rolleyes:

cost of tuition for the summer semester 2015 in berlin: 295,57

OnFire
03-16-2015, 05:02 PM
I mean if they think the euro system is better they can go there, like you said anyone of us can do to go to school, and then play basketball in the euro leagues, making like 50 grand, and hope they get to the NBA one day.

When enough players do that to tip the scale, the ncaa would change the rule. d

If I was the NCAA i would push the NBA to remove the age restriction, then the players can have no reason to complain. I would push the NFL to remove it too if i was them.

They are about to lose out on an opportunity to get out of the pay for play controversy. That's just my opinion though.

Teanett
03-16-2015, 05:02 PM
yea. Please tell me more about how prestigious that sh** is?

what do you mean?
you get a phd in europe or america, where is the difference?
you dont think it's impressive to study engineering, physics, medicine or philosophy in a place like germany?

last time i checked there's many doctors working in U.S. hospitals who went to medical school and got their doctorate degree in europe or asia.

OnFire
03-16-2015, 05:11 PM
what do you mean?
you get a phd in europe or america, where is the difference?
you dont think it's impressive to study engineering, physics, medicine or philosophy in a place like germany?

last time i checked there's many doctors working in U.S. hospitals who went to medical school and got their doctorate degree in europe or asia.

Yea, many doctors working as something else other than a doctor lol

I would bet the very vast majority of doctors are US graduates. Unless they went to like Cambridge or something, which cost more than harvard. They may be FROM europe and asia but...not their degrees.

Timmy D for MVP
03-16-2015, 05:17 PM
But it's players who obviously feels an NCAA scholarship and whatever money they get under the table is worth it vs playing minor league basketball. If it wasn't worth it then they wouldn't go.

If they go its worth it automatically... what i'm talking about something is worth what someone will accept for it. As long as someone, still thinks playing college basketball is worth the current system then I think they will keep making the same dollars.

Yes obviously they need SOMEONE to play, what i'm saying is, the quality doesn't really matter. And since still the rosters are full, with nearly ZERO nba quality players per team, obviously its worth it, OR THEY WOULD NOT DO IT.

That's where I believe you're wrong. If the quality was terrible we wouldn't watch. We watch specifically because it's high level basketball. I go to a small school, NCAA Div. II. I've played with some of the guys on the basketball team at gyms. I've never, in my years, been to one of our basketball games. I get in free. If it was high level I'd have been to many by now.

I feel like my personal story relates to others. If the level of play isn't high we aren't watching, especially if there's going to be a financial investment.

A lof of these guys love to play ball. But the former players who are in video games have a very legit gripe. Guys who have no time to work and want to get something to eat but can't have a gripe. The NCAA profits directly off of them, and yet they do not see a dime.

Your argument is that if they are willing to do it then the system works. But you know that's not a good argument. The system is broken.

OnFire
03-16-2015, 05:24 PM
That's where I believe you're wrong. If the quality was terrible we wouldn't watch. We watch specifically because it's high level basketball. I go to a small school, NCAA Div. II. I've played with some of the guys on the basketball team at gyms. I've never, in my years, been to one of our basketball games. I get in free. If it was high level I'd have been to many by now.

I feel like my personal story relates to others. If the level of play isn't high we aren't watching, especially if there's going to be a financial investment.

A lof of these guys love to play ball. But the former players who are in video games have a very legit gripe. Guys who have no time to work and want to get something to eat but can't have a gripe. The NCAA profits directly off of them, and yet they do not see a dime.

Your argument is that if they are willing to do it then the system works. But you know that's not a good argument. The system is broken.

Well I watched in the 90's when the quality was vastly better and i still watch now. not any more or less.

If you went to Duke and Kentucky, and the player calibur was the player calibur of VCU but so was everyone else, and you couldn't get a ticket you'd be there watching.

You go to a university who's basketball players are barely above high school level and will never ever play in the NBA or euroleague. Or they have bad grades, one or the other.

I mean i'll concede if the best 10 college players at every school in the ncaa were gone and ncaa division 1 was filled with high school quality players i would probably watch less. I mean i rarely watch HS basketball. But thats drastic and before that happened the NCAA would pay more.

Teanett
03-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Yea, many doctors working as something else other than a doctor lol

I would bet the very vast majority of doctors are US graduates. Unless they went to like Cambridge or something, which cost more than harvard. They may be FROM europe and asia but...not their degrees.

bullshit.
i know many filipino doctors working in the U.S.
they got their degree at University of the Philippines/Manila.
my godmother is a millionaire shrink in beverly hills.

IGOTGAME
03-16-2015, 08:15 PM
There is NO substitute to college life, none. If you've gone to a university and experienced the atmosphere as a social individual, you would realize it is truly a once in a lifetime experience that you will find nowhere else in life. Period. You act like players can't take out insurances policies to protect their future potential earnings in case of an injury. Hell Durant ALMOST came back for his sophomore year of college and has spoken publicly how he misses college to the point of where he returned to his campus and stayed in Austin for Summers AFTER he entered the NBA.

you are truly an immature dude. you love college so damn much lol. As a bball player at a small college and a dude with many friends that played big time ball, its great but lets not get outta hand.

AnaheimLakers24
03-16-2015, 08:16 PM
The NCAA is the third worst major sports governing body/organization in the world imo, behind only the IOC and FIFA. That's not great company to be in.

It's not even the lack of a salary that bugs me, it's all the silly restrictions on them. They give everything they have to the school in exchange for a) a small chance of going pro b) a shitty degree/lack of a legitimate education (Swahili, really?) or c) a suspension/injury that kills their shot at either. It's insane that March Madness pulls in a billion dollars, it's even more insane that none of that money makes it to the athletes.
Blame the stupid kids. They can easily go overseas like jennings if they good enough.

OnFire
03-16-2015, 08:22 PM
bullshit.

I don't care who your godmother is it has nothing to do with anything. Unless she's posting on here.

I've worked in Hospitals for 15 years in Florida I am well aware that there are doctors from out of the country, but it can be a pain in the ass process so many end up working as something else. Thats where my sarcastic comment comes from. Graduates from certain schools have more success than others, same as the USA. And yet still the very vast majority are from US schools. Not that this has anything to do with basketball.

lol godmother

OnFire
03-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Blame the stupid kids. They can easily go overseas like jennings if they good enough.

Thats what I was saying, they should just go overseas, make $100k, get some training, and get drafted. Its not like the NBA doesn't scout world basketball anymore. And you get a bunch of press (at least for now) for skipping college and going.

Lebron23
03-16-2015, 08:51 PM
bullshit.

Plenty of good looking chicks in the tourism department.

UK2K
03-16-2015, 11:22 PM
Thats what I was saying, they should just go overseas, make $100k, get some training, and get drafted. Its not like the NBA doesn't scout world basketball anymore. And you get a bunch of press (at least for now) for skipping college and going.
Jennings did it.

If college was so horrible, they are free to go play in Europe a year... Or hell, sit the year out and train. Nobody is stopping you.

They get treated like Gods, don't pay for shit (I knew Wall and Cousins and Jones and Patterson at UK well enough to know they didn't pay for anything), get your *** sucked 5 times a day, get a FREE $30,000 per year education, which tutors and aids will do a lot of the work for you.

Like I said, I would love to see a college athlete switch places and do MY schedule for a semester. Playing basketball is tough and all, but dragging my ass to work to pay for my $300 textbooks sucks worse I bet.

Eric Cartman
03-16-2015, 11:52 PM
Been saying this forever. This whole NCAA is system is a sham. It's like slave labor. Coaches make millions, universities make millions, networks make millions....the kid who actually plays the game, if you buy him a sandwich, it's illegal. :lol

ISH, "But but but but...they're amateurs! :oldlol: " It's amazing how people can be convinced of anything...the whole system is ridiculous.

http://mit.zenfs.com/190/2011/05/Fullscreen-capture-5262011-74037-AM.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XEq6XYtMVU&ab_channel=fatil00&hd=1

RightToCensor
03-17-2015, 12:06 AM
If athletes out of high school want to get compensated for playing ball there are other leagues that will do so.

NCAA brings the most exposure for athletes, nuff said.

End thread.

R.I.P.
03-17-2015, 12:43 AM
Jennings did it.

If college was so horrible, they are free to go play in Europe a year... Or hell, sit the year out and train. Nobody is stopping you.

They get treated like Gods, don't pay for shit (I knew Wall and Cousins and Jones and Patterson at UK well enough to know they didn't pay for anything), get your *** sucked 5 times a day, get a FREE $30,000 per year education, which tutors and aids will do a lot of the work for you.

Like I said, I would love to see a college athlete switch places and do MY schedule for a semester. Playing basketball is tough and all, but dragging my ass to work to pay for my $300 textbooks sucks worse I bet.

You mean they have no library, where you can borrow a book? For 30,000 per year I

RightToCensor
03-17-2015, 12:48 AM
Jennings did it.

Great read.

IGOTGAME
03-17-2015, 12:56 AM
Jennings did it.

OMG 300 dollar textbooks!!! You gotta work some silly no effort job. Sorry you excelled at nothing so you have to pay for a shitty college. Your schedule is easy, if that is all you are paying for.

Timmy D for MVP
03-17-2015, 03:10 AM
Jennings did it.

:oldlol: What?

Give me your average day? What's the average day like for UK2k?

UK2K
03-17-2015, 03:21 AM
OMG 300 dollar textbooks!!! You gotta work some silly no effort job. Sorry you excelled at nothing so you have to pay for a shitty college. Your schedule is easy, if that is all you are paying for.

All I am paying for? $300 textbooks, times 5 classes, plus rent, insurance, car payment, cable, life in general etc... I make good money, especially for my age, and make more than either of my parents. I wasn't afforded the luxury of mommy and daddy paying for my school.

U Indy isnt cheap, but to graduate from a top 25 school in the Midwest comes at a price.

So yeah, football practice sounds awful, but taking 5 classes and working full time (as in, 40-45 hours per week) is a bit more challenging. Forgive me if I dont shed a tear for our top college athletes.

UK2K
03-17-2015, 03:29 AM
:oldlol: What?

Give me your average day? What's the average day like for UK2k?

Monday is my easy day. Work 10-6am.
Tuesday I get off work at 6, home by 6:30, sleep by 7, up by 11, class at noon, out at 2, home by 2:20, asleep by 2:45, wake up at 5, class at 6, get out at 8, home by 8:20, hang out for 40 minutes, go to work at 9 to be there by 10.
Wednesday is easier. I get off at 6, home by 6:30, and only have three classes that day, but no work. Hooray.
Thursday, repeat Tuesday.
Friday, repeat Wednesday, except no work.
Work 11-7 afternoon Saturday.
Work 11-7 afternoon Sunday.

So basically, twice a week I dont sleep for 48 hours. You should see how many alarms I have set each week. I kid you not, its probably close to 100. Some days, I forget to eat because I dont have time.

In between all that I have to do hours of homework (I dont have a specially assigned 'tutor' to assist me with my work), have a social life, keep the girlfriend happy... And I have to devote time to ISH of course.

But, when I graduate, I will have 5 years of Marine Corps service, a year of loss prevention work, and two years of work as a supply chain coordinator, which comes in handy since my degree is in Operations and Supply Chain Management.

So again, forgive me if I dont shed a tear for our elite collegiate athletes. Their life must be so tough. Im sure Richard Sherman wasnt getting VIP invites and blowies at every turn in college. Must have been rough.

EDIT: I will say that on my Tuesdays and Thursdays, some days I just dont sleep at all. I find its easier to come home, smoke a bowl and pop a caffeine pill than it is to try and go to sleep on command and then wake up 3 hours later.

Sarcastic
03-17-2015, 03:37 AM
If athletes out of high school want to get compensated for playing ball there are other leagues that will do so.

NCAA brings the most exposure for athletes, nuff said.

End thread.

What leagues?

UK2K
03-17-2015, 03:41 AM
What leagues?
Literally, any and every other league in the world besides the NBA.

If you're good enough, you can go play in Europe at like 16.

Of course, you wont get the hype or prestige you would get playing for a UK/Duke/UNC/whoever, but, you can get paid.

Sarcastic
03-17-2015, 03:47 AM
Imagine if we said the same thing to other lines of business in this country?

"Don't like that Microsoft or Google has monopolistic power in the software industry, then just go to Europe to sell your product!!!"

Telling people they have to go to Europe to make money playing basketball is not an excuse for preserving a system of indentured servitude.

Sarcastic
03-17-2015, 03:49 AM
Literally, any and every other league in the world besides the NBA.

If you're good enough, you can go play in Europe at like 16.

Of course, you wont get the hype or prestige you would get playing for a UK/Duke/UNC/whoever, but, you can get paid.

Why should a US citizen have to leave the country to play basketball? Do we tell doctors or lawyers to go to Europe to practice their trade?

Timmy D for MVP
03-17-2015, 03:49 AM
Monday is my easy day. Work 10-6am.
Tuesday I get off work at 6, home by 6:30, sleep by 7, up by 11, class at noon, out at 2, home by 2:20, asleep by 2:45, wake up at 5, class at 6, get out at 8, home by 8:20, hang out for 40 minutes, go to work at 9 to be there by 10.
Wednesday is easier. I get off at 6, home by 6:30, and only have three classes that day, but no work. Hooray.
Thursday, repeat Tuesday.
Friday, repeat Wednesday, except no work.
Work 11-7 afternoon Saturday.
Work 11-7 afternoon Sunday.

So basically, twice a week I dont sleep for 48 hours.

In between all that I have to do homework, have a social life, keep the girlfriend happy... And I have to devote time to ISH of course.

But, when I graduate, I will have 5 years of Marine Corps service, a year of loss prevention work, and two years of work as a supply chain coordinator, which comes in handy since my degree is in Operations and Supply Chain Management.

So again, forgive me if I dont shed a tear for our elite collegiate athletes. Their life must be so tough. Im sure Richard Sherman wasnt getting VIP invites and blowies at every turn in college. Must have been rough.

Mkay pretty heavy schedule:

Friend of mine played soccer. Here's how everyday went for him:

Up at 4: Weights
Class all morning.
Late morning Meeting
Afternoon classes
Evening practice
Night meeting
Maybe some time for hw before bed at midnight.

So that's 4am-12am everyday with no possibility of a professional career. He did it because he loved soccer. Yes you have a tough schedule but you are getting paid for your time AND accruing career specific skills.

This is the problem with this issue. You brought up Richard Sherman. Everyone else is talking about why don't they go overseas for a year? Because less that 1% of all college athletes are training for a professional career in that sport! The vast majority of collegiate athletes are like my friend who wanted to play at the highest level they can because they love the game. I promise you he gets no VIP treatment. No one even knows who he is. Yet the University uses him to bring in revenue. Asking for compensation for that is completely reasonable.

You cannot sit there and type at me that the NCAA getting money from a video game that uses the likeness of alumni who never saw a single penny is a good model.

Timmy D for MVP
03-17-2015, 03:50 AM
Imagine if we said the same thing to other lines of business in this country?

"Don't like that Microsoft or Google has monopolistic power in the software industry, then just go to Europe to sell your product!!!"

Telling people they have to go to Europe to make money playing basketball is not an excuse for preserving a system of indentured servitude.

And it ignores the fact that literally a handful out of thousands are training to play professionally anyway.

Sarcastic
03-17-2015, 03:53 AM
You guys don't see a problem with a supposed capitalist country telling its citizens to go abroad to make money doing something that there is a known and viable market for, and which money could be made here, if not for a system that breaks labor laws in the name of "amateurism"?

UK2K
03-17-2015, 03:56 AM
Mkay pretty heavy schedule:

Friend of mine played soccer. Here's how everyday went for him:

Up at 4: Weights
Class all morning.
Late morning Meeting
Afternoon classes
Evening practice
Night meeting
Maybe some time for hw before bed at midnight.

So that's 4am-12am everyday with no possibility of a professional career. He did it because he loved soccer. Yes you have a tough schedule but you are getting paid for your time AND accruing career specific skills.

This is the problem with this issue. You brought up Richard Sherman. Everyone else is talking about why don't they go overseas for a year? Because less that 1% of all college athletes are training for a professional career in that sport! The vast majority of collegiate athletes are like my friend who wanted to play at the highest level they can because they love the game. I promise you he gets no VIP treatment. No one even knows who he is. Yet the University uses him to bring in revenue. Asking for compensation for that is completely reasonable.

You cannot sit there and type at me that the NCAA getting money from a video game that uses the likeness of alumni who never saw a single penny is a good model.
And he could walk out of his university with a degree in biochemical engineering with $0 in student loan debt if he so chooses and make more money than 99% of the other D1 athletes will make in their professional career.

If he doesn't take advantage if it, that's on him.

But the biggest problem I have with your argument is, nobody is forcing him to play soccer. If I don't work, I don't eat. If I don't go to school, I'm sunk. I have no other option than to be miserable for four years.

Would I trade places with him (if it were basketball)? Absolutely. Would he trade places with me? I doubt it.

EDIT: And before you try and call me an asshole, I do think college athletes should receive a stipend since they cannot work. $1200 a month would be fine. That's your average college kid's pay at 25 hours a week for $12/hr. I think thats completely fair.

Timmy D for MVP
03-17-2015, 04:00 AM
And he could walk out of his university with a degree in biochemical engineering with $0 in student loan debt if he so chooses and make more money than 99% of the other D1 athletes will make in their professional career.

But the biggest problem I have with your argument is, nobody is forcing him to play soccer. If I don't work, I don't eat. If I don't go to school, I'm sunk. I have no other option than to be miserable for four years.

Would I trade places with him (if it were basketball)? Absolutely. Would he trade places with me? I doubt it.

No his scholarship wasn't full. In fact I'm pretty sure I payed less this semester than he ever did. That is beside the point.

But you are not sunk. You could easily live life not going to school. There is no reason to break your neck with your schedule you could just get some job and live life. What drives you to do what you do?

Sarcastic
03-17-2015, 04:02 AM

Don't get me wrong, a college degree is a valuable asset, but it is not commiserate with the amount of money generated by the athletes. If you paid the athletes in cash, they could buy degrees and have extra money to spend.

Timmy D for MVP
03-17-2015, 04:02 AM
You guys don't see a problem with a supposed capitalist country telling its citizens to go abroad to make money doing something that there is a known and viable market for, and which money could be made here, if not for a system that breaks labor laws in the name of "amateurism"?

Well I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that actually the NCAA is really maximizing it's potential by doing what it does, and not paying for the labor that drives it's revenues is super efficient. That makes nothing but sense in a competitive market. :oldlol:

UK2K
03-17-2015, 04:05 AM
Why should a US citizen have to leave the country to play basketball? Do we tell doctors or lawyers to go to Europe to practice their trade?

They don't. They can play on the block or not at all if they wish.

The NBA stipulates you have to be one year removed from high school or 19 years old. So if you don't like the college rules, send some NBA teams your mix tape, and spend the year training before you have scouting reviews later on.

Of course, nobody would know who the fcuk you are since you werent on ESPN every night, but, thats your choice.

Or, go play ball overseas.

UK2K
03-17-2015, 04:06 AM
No his scholarship wasn't full. In fact I'm pretty sure I payed less this semester than he ever did. That is beside the point.

But you are not sunk. You could easily live life not going to school. There is no reason to break your neck with your schedule you could just get some job and live life. What drives you to do what you do?

Money. What else? Once I have my Masters, the average salary for my degree jumps to $97,000. If I could make $100k a year playing video games, I'd rather do that, but, ya know...

I grew up poor as poor can be. I dont want to return to that lifestyle any time soon.

If he didn't have a full ride, then I am not talking about him, because at many smaller schools, they dont give athletic scholarships at all, and that sucks.

But for those who do get a full ride, they have a once in a lifetime opportunity to set themselves up for success for the rest of their lives, if they so choose.

kurple
03-17-2015, 04:09 AM
no, but they also dont get paid until they are done at college

UK2K
03-17-2015, 04:10 AM
Don't get me wrong, a college degree is a valuable asset, but it is not commiserate with the amount of money generated by the athletes. If you paid the athletes in cash, they could buy degrees and have extra money to spend.

And I think a stipend equivalent to $12/hr x 25 hrs a week is more than fair. I realize an athlete's schedule doesn't permit them to work a part time job like other college kids, so I dont see any reason why they cant be given a stipend.

Sarcastic
03-17-2015, 04:10 AM
Well I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that actually the NCAA is really maximizing it's potential by doing what it does, and not paying for the labor that drives it's revenues is super efficient. That makes nothing but sense in a competitive market. :oldlol:

It would be "super efficient" for every business to use slaves as their labor force. Unfortunately for business, there are actually laws in this country.

Sarcastic
03-17-2015, 04:11 AM
no, but they also dont get paid until they are done at college

Not true. They're allowed to make as money as they can during college. Student athletes are not.

T_L_P
03-17-2015, 04:12 AM
Money. What else? Once I have my Masters, the average salary for my degree jumps to $97,000. If I could make $100k a year playing video games, I'd rather do that, but, ya know...

I grew up poor as poor can be. I dont want to return to that lifestyle any time soon.

If he didn't have a full ride, then I am not talking about him, because at many smaller schools, they dont give athletic scholarships at all, and that sucks.

But for those who do get a full ride, they have a once in a lifetime opportunity to set themselves up for success for the rest of their lives, if they so choose.

How many more years of studying do you have?

UK2K
03-17-2015, 04:16 AM
How many more years of studying do you have?

Less than a year.

So, as I told my girlfriend, I can suffer for six years or I can suffer for 60.

Timmy D for MVP
03-17-2015, 04:23 AM

Do you driving force is to be wealthy. Can't knock your hustle. His was to play the sport he loved at the highest level. You ask why not just stop? I asked him that a lot. I absolutely love basketball and am not half bad at it. But I would never sacrifice like that to play it. But as weird as it is for some of these people it's like a significant other. They are driven to play like you are driven to improve you status.

If you talk about the NCAA as a whole a great deal of them are likely closer to his experience, than Jalen Rose's.

We both agree that no matter what you do it's all about sacrifices. A few are training for a job in professional leagues. But many are sacrificing just to play the game they love at the highest level they can. They have a choice like all of us so if you want to say they can opt out fine. And tbh I have a hard time with some of the more woe is me guys who are trying for pity because they weren't compensated.

But the fact is the NCAA makes unreal amounts of money directly off these people, do everything they can to line their pockets, and then turn around and talk about protecting the amateurism of the sports. Regardless of your personal view it is not unreasonable to ask for a small stipend for players. At the very least the situation of alumni who were featured in video games is something to be looked at.

T_L_P
03-17-2015, 04:36 AM
Less than a year.

So, as I told my girlfriend, I can suffer for six years or I can suffer for 60.

I'm not one to tell someone else what to do you. If you want to toy with extreme mental fatigue, that's fine (you've been doing for a number of years and from what I've read you're doing well).

But you wouldn't be suffering for 60 years (unless you are already someone who is unhappy). If you're a happy person you'll be happy in most situations. If you're not money won't change much at all.

UK2K
03-17-2015, 04:44 AM
I'm not one to tell someone else what to do you. If you want to toy with extreme mental fatigue, that's fine (you've been doing for a number of years and from what I've read you're doing well).

But you wouldn't be suffering for 60 years (unless you are already someone who is unhappy). If you're a happy person you'll be happy in most situations. If you're not money won't change much at all.

I shit in a box and slept in sand for two years, I can handle a bit of school work for a few more.

I know money isn't the answer for everything and it sure doesn't solve all problems, but I've lived in poverty more years of my life than I've lived above it, and I can tell you I'd much rather have problems and be comfortable financially than to have problems and have bills piled on top of it.

To be fair though, I actually enjoy my degree. I was going to major in economics first, but the job prospects are a bit slim unless I want to work for the government, which I don't.

To each his own. I don't knock those who choose their passion. I do knock those who are lazy. If you WANT to be a janitor, then by all means be a janitor. But if you're a janitor and complain about it and do nothing, then that's on you.

UK2K
03-17-2015, 04:49 AM
Do you driving force is to be wealthy. Can't knock your hustle. His was to play the sport he loved at the highest level. You ask why not just stop? I asked him that a lot. I absolutely love basketball and am not half bad at it. But I would never sacrifice like that to play it. But as weird as it is for some of these people it's like a significant other. They are driven to play like you are driven to improve you status.

If you talk about the NCAA as a whole a great deal of them are likely closer to his experience, than Jalen Rose's.

We both agree that no matter what you do it's all about sacrifices. A few are training for a job in professional leagues. But many are sacrificing just to play the game they love at the highest level they can. They have a choice like all of us so if you want to say they can opt out fine. And tbh I have a hard time with some of the more woe is me guys who are trying for pity because they weren't compensated.

But the fact is the NCAA makes unreal amounts of money directly off these people, do everything they can to line their pockets, and then turn around and talk about protecting the amateurism of the sports. Regardless of your personal view it is not unreasonable to ask for a small stipend for players. At the very least the situation of alumni who were featured in video games is something to be looked at.
Like I said, a stipend is completely understandable. They can't work, so pay them an average working wage.

I would rather see college tuition for all students decreased then to see a bunch of D1 athletes make $5000 per month.

My biggest beef with the whole argument is that colleges are making bank off 'free' labor. Its not free at all, and they all have opportunities that they can take advantage of that will open many doors for them.

My brother graduated from the University of Louisville with 80k in student loan debt. He will be paying that off for decades.

So going to school for free is a pretty big ****ing incentive to playing college ball.

BRabbiT
03-17-2015, 05:04 AM
....going to school for free is a pretty big ****ing incentive to playing college ball.

true.

that doesn't mean it's fair, though.

to me, there are similarities to a record label owning a musician's publishing. sure, artists are compensated.

but they get fukced financially in the long run.

LosBulls
03-17-2015, 05:05 AM
Like I said, a stipend is completely understandable. They can't work, so pay them an average working wage.

I would rather see college tuition for all students decreased then to see a bunch of D1 athletes make $5000 per month.

My biggest beef with the whole argument is that colleges are making bank off 'free' labor. Its not free at all, and they all have opportunities that they can take advantage of that will open many doors for them.

My brother graduated from the University of Louisville with 80k in student loan debt. He will be paying that off for decades.

So going to school for free is a pretty big ****ing incentive to playing college ball.
That is actually a REALLY good idea. People who go to those colleges would root even harder for their sports teams knowing that the money generated by those athletes is the reason their tuition is so cheap.

UK2K
03-17-2015, 06:05 AM
true.

that doesn't mean it's fair, though.

to me, there are similarities to a record label owning a musician's publishing. sure, artists are compensated.

but they get fukced financially in the long run.
They don't have to be though.

Like I said, if a college athlete wants to make the most of his or her time in college, they should use the FREE education they get to get a degree in a marketable field.

No, African American studies doesn't count.

But, for example, the 84th man on Wake Forest's football roster. Is he getting ****ed? If he gets a degree in biomechanical engineering, is he ****ed? Especially when it doesn't cost him a dime. And in the long run, he'd probably make more than any of his teammates that did in fact get drafted into the NFL.

The only part of the whole equation I don't like, is the schools (the few that actually make money on sports) not investing the revenues back into the general fund to help decrease the cost of tuition.

But you can't sit there with a straight face and tell me that kids have an opportunity to get any degree they want from Notre Dame, Duke, Wake, Stanford, Purdue, etc. free of charge and you think its not enough.

BRabbiT
03-17-2015, 06:29 AM

....But you can't sit there with a straight face and tell me that kids have an opportunity to get any degree they want from Notre Dame, Duke, Wake, Stanford, Purdue, etc. free of charge and you think its not enough.

fake classes? no time to study?

there are example in that clip of the view that their education is not what people think.

a football player also has to consider future medical issues (e.g., concussions, arthritis, bad back).

the school isn't providing health coverage. nor will a future employee due to preexisting conditions.

i agree, though, in theory the education they're receiving is valuable.

Rake2204
03-17-2015, 12:55 PM
But you can't sit there with a straight face and tell me that kids have an opportunity to get any degree they want from Notre Dame, Duke, Wake, Stanford, Purdue, etc. free of charge and you think its not enough.Solid back and forth between you, Timmy, and others. I think many of you have made good points, which is why this topic tends to be so readily up for debate.

I think a free education is quite valuable indeed, particularly for those who would not have had the opportunity to attend school in the first place (or without taking on serious amounts of debt). But I suppose the question would be: does the exchange for a free education have its limits? That is, can a college always fall back on the fact they provided a scholarship to an athlete as a means to justify the manner with which they pimp out and profit off them elsewhere?

Should a college be able to sell my #4 jersey, making thousands, and selling out games because my dunks are so awesome, making millions - far surpassing my tuition costs - and then take all the money I've helped them earn thanks to my likeness and keep it all for themselves, making it illegal for me to profit off myself in the process?

The scholarship is a wonderful gift. And if the NCAA wasn't willfully pursuing and making millions upon millions upon millions as a money-making venture, the scholarship itself would seem like a bonus above all else. Instead, it sometimes seems like a situation of "we'll trade you a scholarship for the right to take away your rights. Just be happy you're getting an education while we use you."

PejaNowitzki
03-17-2015, 01:20 PM
I think that these guys should have the opportunity to work jobs and earn money to support themselves, even through signing autographs and sports memorabilia. I don't think that they should earn actual salaries for playing college sports. For most colleges, the athletics department is a money loser, its essentially a welfare case being subsidized by the other students, many of whom are taking out ridiculously large student loans just to be there in the first place.

Some schools like to get cute with how they arrange their accounting to make the numbers look even worse but generally you've got a lot of schools that end up losing money in athletics so they pass the cost on to everyone else because it keeps the alumni happy and creates a sense of community pride.

Then you've got schools like UT which rake in cash left and right and certainly are an example of a school that could probably afford to pay its athletes to some extent but they are definitely an exception and not the rule.

Of the 227 public schools that compete at the Division I level, only 22 have athletic programs that bring in more money than they spend.

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/watchdog/?p=2249

Among the biggest money losers is the University of Connecticut, whose sports teams combined to lose $15 million last year.

More than half of athletic departments at public schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision were subsidized by at least 26% last year, up from 20% in 2005. That’s a jump of $198 million when adjusting for inflation and includes money from student fees, university support and state subsidies.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/college_sports_a_money_loser/

Counting only revenue generated by the athletic departments — including money from ticket sales, donations, radio/TV and marketing rights payments — the number of schools able to cover their athletic expenditures fell to 14 in 2009, down from 25 the previous year.

LSU, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Purdue and Texas were the only schools to report no subsidy money in 2012. Michigan reported receiving less than $260,000: $16,000 in federal work study funding and the remainder from the university to cover the salary of academic services director Phil Hughes, according to athletics spokesman Dave Ablauf.

However, other programs in these conferences remained far from self sufficient in 2012. Rutgers, for instance, spent $28 million more than it generated — a deficit it covered with about $18.5 million from the school and $9.5 million in student fees. This constituted a slight improvement over 2011, when Rutgers spent $28.5 million more than it generated.

Cincinnati, another Big East program, received $16.5 million in subsidies in 2012 — up from $14.7 million in 2011. That made 2012, not adjusting for inflation, the seventh consecutive year of subsidy increase. However, Cincinnati still added nearly $1 million to a cumulative athletics operating deficit that it said was $34.9 million as of the end of its 2012 fiscal year.

"Polls are showing Americans think institutions need to reduce their tuition and fees," Neal says. "And obviously to keep these athletics programs afloat, what they're doing is demanding more institutional funds and more student fees."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/

The Knight Commission says Division I schools with football spent $91,936 per athlete in 2010, seven times the spending per student of $13,628. Division I universities without football spent $39,201 per athlete, more than triple the average student spending.

Nearly every university loses money on sports. Even after private donations and ticket sales, they fill the gap by tapping students paying tuition or state taxpayers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/15/athletics-cost-colleges-students-millions/2814455/

Database of college athletics revenues, 2006-2011 at D-1 schools.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

I think this would be especially true for public schools where I really don't think its fair to put an added burden on students and taxpayers alike just to further pour money into athletics. Let athletes do what they need to in order to survive, let them make money off their names and fame, let them hold down jobs but leave it at that.

R.I.P.
03-17-2015, 01:27 PM

Like I said, if a college athlete wants to make the most of his or her time in college, they should use the FREE education they get to get a degree in a marketable field.

No, African American studies doesn't count.

But, for example, the 84th man on Wake Forest's football roster. Is he getting ****ed? If he gets a degree in biomechanical engineering, is he ****ed? Especially when it doesn't cost him a dime. And in the long run, he'd probably make more than any of his teammates that did in fact get drafted into the NFL.

Why do you think they put them in fake classes? They don

R.I.P.
03-17-2015, 01:31 PM
For most colleges, the athletics department is a money loser, its essentially a welfare case being subsidized by the other students, many of whom are taking out ridiculously large student loans just to be there in the first place.

Of course it

PejaNowitzki
03-17-2015, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Of course it

Fudge
03-17-2015, 01:40 PM
America :oldlol:

Canada >

Derka
03-17-2015, 02:02 PM

When I was at PC, they had to seclude the men's basketball team in St. Joseph's Hall, one of the all-male dorms; even the seniors and juniors on the team were required to live there and live under curfew (I actually had a friend make the team as a walk-on our sophomore year and he didn't have to live in St. Joe's, so the rule I'm guessing only applies to scholarship players). Not sure if this is still the case.

Despite all that, those boys (ghetto-ass sons of bitches that they were) acquired a diet of steady white-girl p*ssy the likes of which half of the dudes on campus would have fought each other to the death for a chance to score. Ass is no problem whatsoever for a D1 college basketball player.

UK2K
03-17-2015, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Why do you think they put them in fake classes? They don

UK2K
03-17-2015, 04:49 PM
When I was at PC, they had to seclude the men's basketball team in St. Joseph's Hall, one of the all-male dorms; even the seniors and juniors on the team were required to live there and live under curfew (I actually had a friend make the team as a walk-on our sophomore year and he didn't have to live in St. Joe's, so the rule I'm guessing only applies to scholarship players). Not sure if this is still the case.

Despite all that, those boys (ghetto-ass sons of bitches that they were) acquired a diet of steady white-girl p*ssy the likes of which half of the dudes on campus would have fought each other to the death for a chance to score. Ass is no problem whatsoever for a D1 college basketball player.

My brother was at a party on Louisville's campus when he was enrolled and he said he saw John Wall walk in and ask out loud 'who's sucking my dick tonight'. He said every girl in there volunteered.

I would say getting ass is not a problem for them.

Budadiiii
03-17-2015, 05:52 PM
They don't deserve the money. The system is fine.

Eric Cartman
03-17-2015, 05:57 PM
South Park does a great job satirizing this phenomenon in an episode called "Crack Baby Athletic Association", I'd encourage all of you to watch it:

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/south-park-season-15-episode-5

24-Inch_Chrome
03-17-2015, 06:06 PM
America :oldlol:

Canada >

:cheers:

Eric Cartman
03-17-2015, 06:16 PM
South Park does a great job satirizing this phenomenon in an episode called "Crack Baby Athletic Association", I'd encourage all of you to watch it:

Start at the 8 minute mark.

TheMan
03-17-2015, 10:59 PM
It's comical how people marginalize an education. Not to mention the fact that college athletes are GOD on campuses. I guarantee you the majority of elite athletes prefer college life to NBA life.
Clearly you never were an elite athlete so you're talking out of your ass but let's analyze your post...

As an elite college athlete, you're an ultimate Alpha on campus and a star in the region your college is at and MAYBE marginally famous elsewhere (I doubt chicks in say San Diego can name you who is Kansas' star basketball player), you're the focus of every party and have your pickings of hundreds of college girls versus...

As an elite athlete and a top NBA player, you get paid millions in salary and in endorsements, you're famous worldwide, you can show up in a Ferrari at the hottest club in Ibiza, you'll get recognized by at the very least a few NBA fans who'll tell the girls they're with and within a matter of moments, the word spreads around and you'll have every hot single chick in the house wanting to go back with you to the villa you rented and she's hoping that if she plays her cards right, you'll take her to the US to spend some time in your mansion....

hmmmmm, tough choice :lol

MiseryCityTexas
03-18-2015, 12:42 AM

They already do that. You ain't watch "He got Game?"

SpanishACB
03-18-2015, 07:21 AM
i watched a good documentary on this few months ago

makes me furious and im not even american

luckily it's about to change

Derka
03-18-2015, 08:29 AM

The real brilliance of the episode is the way Kyle continues end over end to try and justify it what they're doing when he talks to Stan. :oldlol:

Derka
03-18-2015, 08:30 AM
My brother was at a party on Louisville's campus when he was enrolled and he said he saw John Wall walk in and ask out loud 'who's sucking my dick tonight'. He said every girl in there volunteered.

I would say getting ass is not a problem for them.

Its a smorgasbord in every sense of the word.