PDA

View Full Version : KU tracked, Chamberlain had 2 triple doubles at Kansas, averaged 6.1bpg

CavaliersFTW
03-17-2015, 08:26 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iUS09Ttt9qs/VQjBdcvGt3I/AAAAAAAAFxs/RbsGRXGCzKM/s800/Wilt%2520Chamberlains%2520NCAA%2520blocked%2520sho ts%2520recorded.jpg (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iUS09Ttt9qs/VQjBdcvGt3I/AAAAAAAAFxs/RbsGRXGCzKM/s0/Wilt%2520Chamberlains%2520NCAA%2520blocked%2520sho ts%2520recorded.jpg)

December 8th 1956 (Wilt's 2nd NCAA Game)
39 points, 22 rebounds, 14 blocked shots

March 9th, 1957 (This game exists on film)
40 points, 13 rebounds, 12 blocked shots

The fact that the March 9th Colorado game exists on film and exactly 12 blocked shots can be counted serves to validate these unofficial blocked shots numbers could all be legitimate.

Indicates Wilt blocked 187 shots his sophomore campaign, and 120 his junior season. 302 for his 2 season NCAA career.

With blocked shots included his seasons/career averages look like this:

1957:
29.6ppg, 18.9rpg, 6.9bpg (27 games)

1958:
30.1ppg, 17.5rpg, 5.7bpg (21 games)

Career:
29.9ppg, 18.3rpg, 6.1bpg

I had come across some of this blocked shot data before, but never had the details as to who the source was, nor that exactly two of Wilt's NCAA games were triple doubles.

dubeta
03-17-2015, 08:26 PM
Good point but he wouldn't make the NBA today

SaltyMeatballs
03-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Show me the players he was playing against so I can laugh.

Im Still Ballin
03-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Some legendary performances no doubt

ralph_i_el
03-17-2015, 08:36 PM
yet he didn't win a single NBA championship at KU....pathetic:facepalm

Achilleas
03-17-2015, 08:37 PM
stop you become the 3ball of wilt :biggums:
90% of people didn't see wilt playing and because of not internet and videos we can measure him with today players,his stats are the best :applause: but you can't change an opionion of someone who didn't watch him :confusedshrug:

CavaliersFTW
03-17-2015, 08:40 PM
stop you become the 3ball of wilt :biggums:
90% of people didn't see wilt playing and because of not internet and videos we can measure him with today players,his stats are the best :applause: but you can't change an opionion of someone who didn't watch him :confusedshrug:
I provide data, as I find it. I'm not out to change peoples minds, just sharing my passion as I know at least a few other posters on here enjoy seeing it. Don't want to see the data? Don't click on my threads. I make highlights, I often make documentaries, provide clips, pictures, newspaper articles about either Wilt, or anyone who played basketball around that period of time. I'm not the "3ball" of anything, I'm just a passionate fan of the game particularly drawn in to that time in the games history and I'm not afraid to share it. Who are you again, what do you bring to ISH?

warriorfan
03-17-2015, 08:42 PM
wilt keeping stans shook 24/7

what's new

RoundMoundOfReb
03-17-2015, 08:44 PM
No one doubts that wilt dominated meaningless games in the 60s. It just means little when talking about him as an ATG. Weak era.

kennethgriffin
03-17-2015, 08:44 PM
only 6 blocks? i thought the guy was blocking 10 shots a game minimum

more lies exposed

RoundMoundOfReb
03-17-2015, 08:49 PM

more lies exposed
Lmao and in the NBA no less. I actually had a wilt Stan tell me he'd average 8ish blocks today....in the 3 point era :oldlol:

CavaliersFTW
03-17-2015, 08:49 PM

more lies exposed
The only lie you exposed is the straw man lie you just created by yourself.

warriorfan
03-17-2015, 08:50 PM
The only lie you exposed is the straw man lie you just created by yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ePQKD9iBfU

CavaliersFTW
03-17-2015, 08:52 PM
Lmao and in the NBA no less. I actually had a wilt Stan tell me he'd average 8ish blocks today....in the 3 point era :oldlol:
I can't comment on your Wilt stan story, but it is very very likely he did average more blocks in the NBA than he did in the NCAA. He played 8 more minutes a game in the NBA and a shot clock went from completely non-existent in his NCAA career where team strategies often involved freezing the ball, to 24 seconds in the NBA - all his other stats went up once he reached the NBA, so why do you think his blocks wouldn't?

Also let's rewind here... are you guys actually laughing at a 6.1bpg NCAA career? :facepalm

dubeta
03-17-2015, 08:53 PM
I would destroy Wilt if I was facing him in a game, would turn him into a 2/7 instead of a 2/6

warriorfan
03-17-2015, 08:55 PM
I would destroy Wilt if I was facing him in a game, would turn him into a 2/7 instead of a 2/6

you would turn him into 11 1/2 and then he would jizz on your face

RoundMoundOfReb
03-17-2015, 08:57 PM
I can't comment on your Wilt stan story, but it is very very likely he did average more blocks in the NBA than he did in the NCAA. He played 8 more minutes a game in the NBA and a shot clock went from completely non-existent in his NCAA career where team strategies often involved freezing the ball, to 24 seconds in the NBA - all his other stats went up once he reached the NBA, so why do you think his blocks wouldn't?

Also let's rewind here... are you guys actually laughing at a 6.1bpg NCAA career? :facepalm
When you're playing absolutely garbage 60s college competition and you're stans say that you averaged close to 10 blocks in the NBA per game it is disappointing - yes.

To put that into perspective Shaq averaged over 5 bpg against far stiffer college competition....with the 3 point line....in college.

CavaliersFTW
03-17-2015, 08:58 PM
When you're playing absolutely garbage 60s college competition and you're stans say that you averaged close to 10 blocks in the NBA per game it is disappointing - yes.

To put that into perspective Shaq averaged over 5 bpg against fan stiffer college competition....with the 3 point line....in college.
They had a shot clock when Shaq played.

sd3035
03-17-2015, 09:00 PM
Wilt was a choker and a loser, he would be even worse in today's game

Jameerthefear
03-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Not impressed. Only thing weaker and more watered down then the NBA in the 60's is college ball in the 60's

warriorfan
03-17-2015, 09:01 PM
fucc CavsFTW doing his orkin man impression spraying all these hoes with immense amounts of rat poison

Marchesk
03-17-2015, 09:04 PM
I really enjoy what CavaliersFTW brings to ISH. It's not the same lebron/kobe trolling bullshit living rent free with empty stats on stacked teams alpha/beta nonsense that gets generated on here 24/7.

Don't get me wrong, some of that stuff is funny the first couple hundred times, but a little variation is a breath of fresh air. I'm going homicidal the next time someone is living rent free, btw.

CavaliersFTW
03-17-2015, 09:05 PM
I've got no clue how many shots Wilt blocked in the NBA at his peak, as a rookie, through his prime, etc honestly.

I do know in 1973 I think? Isn't it something like 50+ games of his blocked shots are available and he was averaging something like 5.4 bpg in those 50+ available data games? (Someone please link this data if you've got it) That's Wilt at 36 years old.

Wilt as a sophomore in the NCAA, 6.9bpg, as a Junior, 5.7bpg (6.1 career). That's in less than 40 minutes a game of play (8 less than the NBA) and that's with no shot clock.

Wilt's NBA rookie season, from his NCAA stats, his points jumped by about 7 points a game, his rebounding jumped by almost 9 rebounds a game, and at his peak the difference is 20 points a game greater in the NBA than his NCAA peak, and 9 rebounds greater than his NCAA peak.

The competition was indeed better, but the fact that a shot clock didn't exist made a huge difference. Why do you think his highest scoring game was only 52 points in the NCAA but 100 points in the NBA? It is far from unreasonable to believe Wilt did block more shots per game for a significant stretch of his NBA career, than he peaked at in the NCAA. Because every single one of his other stats from the NBA blow his NCAA numbers out the water. I honestly don't know what you're on about roundmoundofreb, why is it so unimpressive to you to see that he blocked 6.1 shots a game his NCAA career, and further why is it so difficult to imagine he might have blocked more shots in the NBA? I don't follow your logic/criticism here.

Marchesk
03-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Not impressed. Only thing weaker and more watered down then the NBA in the 60's is college ball in the 60's

Wilt didn't play college ball in the 60's. Does the younger generation know how to read?

Jameerthefear
03-17-2015, 09:09 PM
Wilt didn't play college ball in the 60's. Does the younger generation know how to read?
I don't read posts that are over a couple sentences from you guys. Just comment as I please.

warriorfan
03-17-2015, 09:11 PM
I can't read posts that are over a couple sentences from you guys. Just comment as an autistic child.

Nice

coin24
03-17-2015, 09:51 PM
Apart from OP and lonely senile Laz does anyone give a shit about wilt??

TripleA
03-17-2015, 11:04 PM
I think Wilt would be about a Anthony Davis level player in today's game except a better rebounder, same shot-blocking and worse shooting but better inside scoring.

Asukal
03-17-2015, 11:12 PM
Surprised Loseruzz still didn't show up here with those cherry picked and copy pasted stats of his. :facepalm

Jameerthefear
03-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Surprised Loseruzz still didn't show up here with those cherry picked and copy pasted stats of his. :facepalm
Don't worry. He'll be here.

coin24
03-17-2015, 11:58 PM

Won't be long until he pastes all those boring long essays that nobody reads:lol

Dr.J4ever
03-18-2015, 12:14 AM
I find this information very interesting. Good find by the OP.

It reveals a baseline figure for one of the most dominant individuals in league history on a stat that was previously a complete mystery. We can now run simulations in our heads on what his actual bpg was.

Yes, more minutes were played in the NBA and there were more possessions, but players were better than college ball, so those facts would have to be weighed. I would think 5-6 bpg at the time in the NBA is reasonable.

Today, with the 3 point line and the generally accepted view of higher overall athleticism from most players, Wilt would still average 4-5 bpg, I think.

CavaliersFTW
03-18-2015, 12:24 AM
I find this information very interesting. Good find by the OP.

It reveals a baseline figure for one of the most dominant individuals in league history on a stat that was previously a complete mystery. We can now run simulations in our heads on what his actual bpg was.

Yes, more minutes were played in the NBA and there were more possessions, but players were better than college ball, so those facts would have to be weighed. I would think 5-6 bpg at the time in the NBA is reasonable.

Today, with the 3 point line and the generally accepted view of higher overall athleticism from most players, Wilt would still average 4-5 bpg, I think.
Can you come up with a convincing argument why his blocked shots would be the one stat that wouldn't follow the pattern of the rest of his NCAA stats when he joined the NBA? I honestly think he had significantly more shots to block in the NBA per game, and thus blocked more shots than his NCAA average - at the very least during his prime/young years when there were a lot of possessions.

The most points he ever scored in an NCAA vs NBA game, 52 vs 100

His scoring peak to peak 30ppg vs 50ppg

His rebounding peak to peak 19rpg vs 27rpg

His rebounding max 31 vs 55 in the NBA

His blocked shot max 14 vs 26 in the NBA

In the NCAA his most dominant games were his first two games he ever played, (52 points 31 rebounds G1, 39 points, 22 rebounds, 14 blocks the second). After this teams learned to zone him on defense, and freeze the ball on offense and with no shot clock this would go on for minutes at a time pretty much every game. Killing his potential to have what were his eventual NBA stats the rest of his NCAA career. Wilt's stats in the NCAA across the board are far less prolific than what he did in the NBA, his accuracy from the field, his assists, his points, his rebounds - so why not his blocks?

Harvey Pollack suggested higher numbers than 5 or 6. He was Wilt's, and the league's statistician back then.

What numbers he achieved I don't know, but I suspect based on the curve of the rest of his stats his blocked shots went up during his NBA prime, maybe they leveled off or went down after that and for his career averages but at his peak I think he'd have had more shots to block in the NBA.

DaRkJaWs
03-18-2015, 12:30 AM
I'll answer for him: no I can't come up with an answer why, and I think you have sufficiently not only proven me wrong but shown my attempts to be "objective" as fraudulent as they come. I'm very sorry for being a complete douchebag who is probably wrong about everything I want to believe.

warriorfan
03-18-2015, 12:31 AM
I'll answer for him: no I can't come up with an answer why, and I think you have sufficiently not only proven me wrong but shown my attempts to be "objective" as fraudulent as they come. I'm very sorry for being a complete douchebag who is probably wrong about everything I want to believe.

:oldlol:

Dr.J4ever
03-18-2015, 12:48 AM
Can you come up with a convincing argument why his blocked shots would be the one stat that wouldn't follow the pattern of the rest of his NCAA stats when he joined the NBA? I honestly think he had significantly more shots to block in the NBA per game, and thus blocked more shots than his NCAA average - at the very least during his prime/young years when there were a lot of possessions.

The most points he ever scored in an NCAA vs NBA game, 52 vs 100

His scoring peak to peak 30ppg vs 50ppg

His rebounding peak to peak 19rpg vs 27rpg

His rebounding max 31 vs 55 in the NBA

His blocked shot max 14 vs 26 in the NBA

In the NCAA his most dominant games were his first two games he ever played, (52 points 31 rebounds G1, 39 points, 22 rebounds, 14 blocks the second). After this teams learned to zone him on defense, and freeze the ball on offense and with no shot clock this would go on for minutes at a time pretty much every game. Killing his potential to have what were his eventual NBA stats the rest of his NCAA career. Wilt's stats in the NCAA across the board are far less prolific than what he did in the NBA, his accuracy from the field, his assists, his points, his rebounds - so why not his blocks?

Harvey Pollack suggested higher numbers than 5 or 6. He was Wilt's, and the league's statistician back then.

What numbers he achieved I don't know, but I suspect based on the curve of the rest of his stats his blocked shots went up during his NBA prime, maybe they leveled off or went down after that and for his career averages but at his peak I think he'd have had more shots to block in the NBA.

I don't know. You could be right.

I'm just trying to credit the players back then a little more. It's hard to imagine averaging 8-9 blocks a game as the numbers you put up suggest. Also, reports from witnesses and tales they tell can be highly unreliable. You know, these things keep getting higher and higher over time as one story gets better and better when told over many bottles of beer.

But, the math cannot be disputed. If you project the numbers, he probably averaged more bpg. I would just think good players would eventually learn to not challenge him, and his bpg average would eventually drop, just like it works today with elite rim protectors.

Cocaine80s
03-18-2015, 01:01 AM
Only 2 triples doubles vs 5'9 college centers?

http://i.imgur.com/pDgU3aO.gif

CavaliersFTW
03-18-2015, 01:04 AM
I don't know. You could be right.

I'm just trying to credit the players back then a little more. It's hard to imagine averaging 8-9 blocks a game as the numbers you put up suggest. Also, reports from witnesses and tales they tell can be highly unreliable. You know, these things keep getting higher and higher over time as one story gets better and better when told over many bottles of beer.

But, the math cannot be disputed. If you project the numbers, he probably averaged more bpg. I would just think good players would eventually learn to not challenge him, and his bpg average would eventually drop, just like it works today with elite rim protectors.
Well, isn't there some research done on his final season where a good portion of the '73 season's shot blocks are known and the average is 5.4bpg? That's 36 year old Wilt, in a league with a slower pace than in his younger years. Players were still driving on him then, he was still getting over 5 blocks at least for the several dozen or so games that the block numbers are known from that season. Honestly I've got no clue what his block numbers are I'm not comfortable putting any kind of figure on it, I'm sort of more inclined to believe at least for a stretch of time they were higher than those NCAA numbers though.

The talent is obviously superior, but the game was played with a shot clock and Wilt had his way with every other statistical category to a greater degree than he ever could in college pretty much because of this and also because he himself got better as a player after college. I have a newspaper article from his rookie season saying how Wilt is projected to break every record in points, rebounding, and blocked shots per game for the season. It makes me wonder if SOMEBODY was keeping track of everyone's blocks back then even if it wasn't officially sanctioned by the NBA. As usual, I'll post anything I find.

sd3035
03-18-2015, 01:07 AM
Two whole triple doubles? :eek: :eek:

stop the presses

CavaliersFTW
03-18-2015, 01:13 AM
Two whole triple doubles? :eek: :eek:

stop the presses
Do you know how common it is to get a triple double playing NCAA basketball?

Now how common is it to get a triple double with blocked shots?

Now how common do you think it would be pre-shot clock era when freezing the ball was a tactic?

I like how you guys are unimpressed with 6.1 blocks a game, and 2 triple doubles. Wow so easy. You guys must be great players that skipped college and went straight to the NBA with such high standards. Which one of you guys is Kobe, and which ones are KG and Lebron :lol

sd3035
03-18-2015, 01:14 AM
Do you know how common it is to get a triple double playing NCAA basketball?

Now how common is it to get a triple double with blocked shots?

Now how common do you think it would be pre-shot clock era when freezing the ball was a tactic?

When you are playing against 5 foot tall players who don't even know the rules...probably pretty easy

CavaliersFTW
03-18-2015, 01:21 AM
When you are playing against 5 foot tall players who don't even know the rules...probably pretty easy
So, the Big-8 back then just fielded a bunch of random students who didn't even know the rules?

"Gee professor, real excited to try out this sport called basketball, will I need my bat and glove?"

http://image1.masterfile.com/getImage/846-02797256em-1940s-1950s-SMILING-PORTRAIT-BOY-STUDENT-CARRYING-BOOKS-WEARING-FOOTBA.jpg

"Suit up kid your about to jump center against this guy"

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-vVCa1ed_kwE/VQkKvMgmMvI/AAAAAAAAFy4/yUHFyhKUCP0/s800/Wiltchamberlainx-large.jpg

sd3035
03-18-2015, 01:24 AM
who is that scrawny guy barely getting his hand over the rim?

coin24
03-18-2015, 01:26 AM
Who's that skinny dweeb with 14" biceps? Looks like he knows his way around a mans weiner though :lol

sd3035
03-18-2015, 01:29 AM
Who's that skinny dweeb with 14" biceps? Looks like he knows his way around a mans weiner though :lol

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Dr.J4ever
03-18-2015, 01:51 AM
Well, isn't there some research done on his final season where a good portion of the '73 season's shot blocks are known and the average is 5.4bpg? That's 36 year old Wilt, in a league with a slower pace than in his younger years. Players were still driving on him then, he was still getting over 5 blocks at least for the several dozen or so games that the block numbers are known from that season. Honestly I've got no clue what his block numbers are I'm not comfortable putting any kind of figure on it, I'm sort of more inclined to believe at least for a stretch of time they were higher than those NCAA numbers though.

The talent is obviously superior, but the game was played with a shot clock and Wilt had his way with every other statistical category to a greater degree than he ever could in college pretty much because of this and also because he himself got better as a player after college. I have a newspaper article from his rookie season saying how Wilt is projected to break every record in points, rebounding, and blocked shots per game for the season. It makes me wonder if SOMEBODY was keeping track of everyone's blocks back then even if it wasn't officially sanctioned by the NBA. As usual, I'll post anything I find.

Now that would make you famous- that is if you find the long hidden stats on Wilt's bpg figures. Pollack was the guru with all the Wilt stats, and it's still boggles the mind why they didn't keep tabs of those figures back then.

For the sake of basketball history, good luck!:cheers:

CavaliersFTW
03-18-2015, 02:23 AM
Now that would make you famous- that is if you find the long hidden stats on Wilt's bpg figures. Pollack was the guru with all the Wilt stats, and it's still boggles the mind why they didn't keep tabs of those figures back then.

For the sake of basketball history, good luck!:cheers:
Slightly off topic but as you might have figured by the article in this thread I've recently figured out how to bypass Google-News Archive's shutdown and so have recently uncovered a lot more articles and I'm saving as much as I can.

Currently combing through and uncovering his actual Track and Field accolades and records that I'm hoping to put together in a long cited topic with pics soon.

Philadelphia city-league shot put champ with numbers
2x Philadelphia city-league high jump champ with numbers and a description of his technique (he only took a half step, did not even run before his jump when he was in high school)

220 yard numbers
440 yard numbers
880 yard numbers
Triple jump numbers

And his KU records and victories in the high jump (he was winning meets and setting their High Jump records when he was there). Also have video of some of these meets, and a description of how high he was clearing 6 feet 8 and 1/2 and expected to clear 6-10 or even 7-0 with practice if it weren't for his trail leg - he had bad form and was soaring well over the heights he jumped at meets but his trail leg kept raking over the bar.

Also some cool testimony from 1968, he went back to KU and cleared the high jump again at 6-6 in street clothes (and was 290lbs)

He really was showing great potential in track and field in a variety of events. I find this stuff really interesting because I ran track. It's de-mystifying when you actually see his name printed in the event scorecards. It's also sort of awe inspiring, he ran a 48.9 440 in Chuck Taylor shoes on a cinder track, and a 440 is about 10 feet longer than a 400m... I ran the 400 once in high school and couldn't dream of running that fast even with training.

julizaver
03-18-2015, 03:54 AM
December 8th 1956 (Wilt's 2nd NCAA Game)
39 points, 22 rebounds, 14 blocked shots

March 9th, 1957 (This game exists on film)
40 points, 13 rebounds, 12 blocked shots

The fact that the March 9th Colorado game exists on film and exactly 12 blocked shots can be counted serves to validate these unofficial blocked shots numbers could all be legitimate.

Indicates Wilt blocked 187 shots his sophomore campaign, and 120 his junior season. 302 for his 2 season NCAA career.

With blocked shots included his seasons/career averages look like this:

1957:
29.6ppg, 18.9rpg, 6.9bpg (27 games)

1958:
30.1ppg, 17.5rpg, 5.7bpg (21 games)

Career:
29.9ppg, 18.3rpg, 6.1bpg

I had come across some of this blocked shot data before, but never had the details as to who the source was, nor that exactly two of Wilt's NCAA games were triple doubles.

Yes, this is the article. Sometimes ago I was considering posting images of old articles, clippings, boxscores (as you used to post it) but to that I need to create some fixtional google+ account or find other ways. Posting an article makes your posts more valid one. In doing my reasearches I initially do not save articles, only rare remembered the link or download image.

But as you see when you put some efforts and share with others (:cheers: ) the first comes are the trolls: weak era, 2/6, white midgets, 6ft centers ... ussually people who do not contribute nothing and spent their time spaming around.
For me is enough to know that a past his prime 33 to 36 year old Wilt was able to contain Jabbar and blocked his hook shots, Jabbar who 15 years at almost 40 was able to score efficiently vs Hakeem and Sampson. Put Hakeem in the league right now and he will outplay every big now.

And about the increase in Wilt's production in his first NBA seasons comparing to his two NCAA seasons the simple asnwer is: 24 second rule, freezing tactics.

Marchesk
03-18-2015, 08:12 AM
He really was showing great potential in track and field in a variety of events. I find this stuff really interesting because I ran track. It's de-mystifying when you actually see his name printed in the event scorecards. It's also sort of awe inspiring, he ran a 48.9 440 in Chuck Taylor shoes on a cinder track, and a 440 is about 10 feet longer than a 400m... I ran the 400 once in high school and couldn't dream of running that fast even with training.

I ran track too and that's really impressive. I also like his 800 time. A 7 footer running that fast is just crazy.

dunksby
03-18-2015, 08:32 AM
6.1bpg in NCAA is totally believable, you have short memories, didn't Thabeet get a TD with 13 blocks once? Is it really incredible that Wilt did it twice?

LAZERUSS
03-18-2015, 11:19 AM
No one doubts that wilt dominated meaningless games in the 60s. It just means little when talking about him as an ATG. Weak era.

Typical basher.

Yep...if we had footage of Wilt doing back-flips over the top of the backboard, or bench-pressing 1000 lbs...you idiots would continue to post...WEAK ERA.

BTW, Chamberlain also dominated POST-SEASON games in BOTH the 60's AND 70's, and essentially won two FMVPs.