PDA

View Full Version : +/- is Most Important Stat

Bless Mathews
03-18-2015, 01:01 AM
Period.

Stats don't mean shit if they don't help your team win.

Cocaine80s
03-18-2015, 01:05 AM
Points are the most important stat

J Shuttlesworth
03-18-2015, 01:05 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDkJI-1CIAAzelg.jpg

SwishSquared
03-18-2015, 01:06 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDkJI-1CIAAzelg.jpg:oldlol:

Bless Mathews
03-18-2015, 01:06 AM

That's fOnky.

But for a player jack asses.

sd3035
03-18-2015, 01:08 AM
Lebron James

Hittin_Shots
03-18-2015, 01:10 AM
Points are the most important stat

If your teams +/- is higher than the others you win.

Im Still Ballin
03-18-2015, 01:15 AM
And it's not surprising that Lebron has historically been at the top of the list for this stat year in year out...

pauk
03-18-2015, 01:22 AM
+/- = Who is the best at being & not being on the court at the right moment & time.

You can use it somewhat when evaluating team lineups but especially flawed when using it in context of individual players.... you can come into the game and have 0 pts/rbs/asts/blks/stls and end up with the highest +/- because your team made a run while the opponents had a cold streak, then you are at the bench when things aint going better and so on... therefore your teammate who had 50 points that game could/will end up with far less +/- due to being in the game facing all the trials & tribulations....

Mr. Jabbar
03-18-2015, 01:26 AM
cmon op... +/- is perhaps the only stat that per se is so terrible and innacurate not even trolls use it as proof of anything, its just common sense. it would be a great stat if basketball was played 1on1

J Shuttlesworth
03-18-2015, 01:32 AM
cmon op... +/- is perhaps the only stat that per se is so terrible and innacurate not even trolls use it as proof of anything, its just common sense. it would be a great stat if basketball was played 1on1
As a fellow troll, I think you might want to take a different angle on this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mozgov is leading the league in +/- this year when he joined the Cavs, so it would be the perfect opportunity to use that in "stacked" convos. You could also use it to say Mozgov = Batman

Droid101
03-18-2015, 01:33 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mozgov is leading the league in +/- this year when he joined the Cavs, so it would be the perfect opportunity to use that in "stacked" convos. You could also use it to say Mozgov = Batman
Mozgov = MVP not batman. Get your shit together.

Bless Mathews
03-18-2015, 01:33 AM
+/- = Who is the best at being & not being on the court at the right moment & time.

You can use it somewhat when evaluating team lineups but especially flawed when using it in context of individual players.... you can come into the game and have 0 pts/rbs/asts/blks/stls and end up with the highest +/- because your team made a run while the opponents had a cold streak, then you are at the bench when things aint going better and so on... therefore your teammate who had 50 points that game could/will end up with far less +/- due to being in the game facing all the trials & tribulations....

Of course scrubs that played those couple minutes when team made a run obviously is not a good measure.

But stOarters, stOars that play the same amount of minutes it's accurate.

J Shuttlesworth
03-18-2015, 01:34 AM
Mozgov = MVP not batman. Get your shit together.
how could MVP not be batman?

*thinks about KD/Westbrook last playoffs*

oh wait, nvm. carry on

Bless Mathews
03-18-2015, 01:36 AM

Lol. Oh ok.

So a dude droppin 30 a game but does it a manner that makes his team MORE likely to loose isn't valid?

I swear, y'all forget about winning and loosing more than any other sports message board in innanent history.

Smh.

Bless Mathews
03-18-2015, 01:38 AM

Good point actually.

1. Obviously he will be On the floor with bron "best player in world " right now.

2. As a TEAM , he ads what the cavs TEAM needs to be successful. Good d. Active big. Good rebounder. Adds value to his TEAM tremendously when he's on the floor.

34-24 Footwork
03-18-2015, 01:50 AM
Lol. Oh ok.

So a dude droppin 30 a game but does it a manner that makes his team MORE likely to loose isn't valid?

I swear, y'all forget about winning and loosing more than any other sports message board in innanent history.

Smh.

This is what I was just saying in another thread. They treat real NBA players like a 2K Create-a-player.

These dudes don't care about that sh1t, outside of handful of stat freaks in the league. We know who they are..

J Shuttlesworth
03-18-2015, 01:53 AM
Good point actually.

1. Obviously he will be On the floor with bron "best player in world " right now.

2. As a TEAM , he ads what the cavs TEAM needs to be successful. Good d. Active big. Good rebounder. Adds value to his TEAM tremendously when he's on the floor.
He is a great impact player, but his +/- won't be as high when he's not playing in a starting lineup with guys like Love, LeBron, and Irving.

He's +14.9 on the Cavs, and -2.2 on the Nuggets

Is it becuase he "improved" after the trade, or because his +/- is being inflated by the fact that he's playing in the best starting 5 in the league?

Heavincent
03-18-2015, 01:57 AM
Is it becuase he "improved" after the trade, or because his +/- is being inflated by the fact that he's playing in the best starting 5 in the league?

Mosgov doesn't play on the Warriors.

J Shuttlesworth
03-18-2015, 02:05 AM
Mosgov doesn't play on the Warriors.
Warriors are the deepest team, but the Cavs have the best starting lineup in the league. It's not even that close TBH

Bless Mathews
03-18-2015, 02:18 AM
He is a great impact player, but his +/- won't be as high when he's not playing in a starting lineup with guys like Love, LeBron, and Irving.

He's +14.9 on the Cavs, and -2.2 on the Nuggets

Comeon bruh. Nuggets are trash.

What is nuggets OVERALL team +/-?

What are cavs OVERALL TEAM +/-????

I for real don't know, but id bet boaf teams are higher than team average with him on the floor.

Context bruh. Context.

You really just SLAYED yourself and proved my point.

J Shuttlesworth
03-18-2015, 02:21 AM
Comeon bruh. Nuggets are trash.

What is nuggets OVERALL team +/-?

What are cavs OVERALL TEAM +/-????

I for real don't know, but id bet boaf teams are higher than team average with him on the floor.

Context bruh. Context.

You really just SLAYED yourself and proved my point.
They are higher than average with Mozgov on the floor because he's a starter.

I'm not even trying to diss on Mozgov, I love him as a player. But +/- is one of the only stats where you could literally do absolutely nothing on the floor, and if your teammates play well, it makes you look good. I think it's generally a good stat, but by no means the most important.

Real plus minus is much better

Bless Mathews
03-18-2015, 02:34 AM
They are higher than average with Mozgov on the floor because he's a starter.

I'm not even trying to diss on Mozgov, I love him as a player. But +/- is one of the only stats where you could literally do absolutely nothing on the floor, and if your teammates play well, it makes you look good. I think it's generally a good stat, but by no means the most important.

Real plus minus is much better

Ok. So I looked it up.

Denver , which is trash anyways

Total PPg - 100.2. Points allowed - 103.6. Team total -3.4. Mosgov -2.2. Improvement.

Once again nuggets are trash.

Now skippy, let's look at cavs.

Total PPg - 103.4. Points allowed - 99.0. Team total + 4.4 Mosgov + 14.9!!!!!

That's huge bruh. You can't deny watching the cavs he ads so much and is important. +14.9 ??? More than triple overall team's +/-????!!!???

Comeon. When he's on the floor, the cavs are a better TEAM and in a far better chance to win the game.

Period.

You just got SLAYED pretty bad bruh.

I like you, but winning, improving your TEAM is so lost in today's stat crazy world.

The goal is to win the damn game. Smh. Smh.

warriorfan
03-18-2015, 02:36 AM
+/- is a decent stat but it needs to be used in context like all stats, there are things that can throw off +/- big time

J Shuttlesworth
03-18-2015, 02:40 AM
Ok. So I looked it up.

Denver , which is trash anyways

Total PPg - 100.2. Points allowed - 103.6. Team total -3.4. Mosgov -2.2. Improvement.

Once again nuggets are trash.

Now skippy, let's look at cavs.

Total PPg - 103.4. Points allowed - 99.0. Team total + 4.4 Mosgov + 14.9!!!!!

That's huge bruh. You can't deny watching the cavs he ads so much and is important. +14.9 ??? More than triple overall team's +/-????!!!???

Comeon. When he's on the floor, the cavs are a better TEAM and in a far better chance to win the game.

Period.

You just got SLAYED pretty bad bruh.

I like you, but winning, improving your TEAM is so lost in today's stat crazy world.

The goal is to win the damn game. Smh. Smh.
Lol chill out with this whole "slaying" thing. Once again, I'm not disagreeing that +/- isn't a good stat, but it has to be used with the right context.

Yes, Mozgov does have a major impact on the game indeed, especially defensively. But so do LeBron/Kyrie/Love/JR Smith. Those are the guys that Mozgov is generally on the floor with. The +14.9 can't ALL be attributed to Mozgov, since it's really all the starters that are pumping up that #.

Real plus minus is more accurate for judging individuals. Check out the top 4:

http://i.imgur.com/lSDNyVo.png

pretty accurate to the MVP race. Also, it shows Mozgov as #6 among centers:
http://i.imgur.com/Rz0vShG.png

ButterFace
03-18-2015, 02:42 AM

:roll:

Milbuck
03-18-2015, 02:43 AM
LeBron James, PERIOD.

Heavincent
03-18-2015, 02:48 AM
Warriors are the deepest team, but the Cavs have the best starting lineup in the league. It's not even that close TBH

Not true, but the Warriors probably have 3 of the top 10 lineups in the league anyway, so whatever.

Curry
Thompson
Barnes
Green
Bogut

Curry
Thompson
Iguodala
Green
Bogut

Curry
Thompson
Iguodala
Barnes
Green

dubeta
03-18-2015, 02:49 AM
Didnt LeBron in 2009 have the highest +/- in NBA history?

Bless Mathews
03-18-2015, 02:50 AM
Lol chill out with this whole "slaying" thing. Once again, I'm not disagreeing that +/- isn't a good stat, but it has to be used with the right context.

Yes, Mozgov does have a major impact on the game indeed, especially defensively. But so do LeBron/Kyrie/Love/JR Smith. Those are the guys that Mozgov is generally on the floor with. The +14.9 can't ALL be attributed to Mozgov, since it's really all the starters that are pumping up that #.

Real plus minus is more accurate for judging individuals. Check out the top 4:

http://i.imgur.com/lSDNyVo.png

pretty accurate to the MVP race. Also, it shows Mozgov as #6 among centers:
http://i.imgur.com/Rz0vShG.png

My bad. I had an injury. These pain pills make a niggah agitated.

Rpm normal +/- they seem to be similar.

And my point is that all these damn stats and stat mongers forget about the most important, winning and helping your team win.

"Empty stats" is a phrase used over and over on here, but the Same people drool over a dude with Star Wars type stats.

J Shuttlesworth
03-18-2015, 02:50 AM
Not true, but the Warriors probably have 3 of the top 10 lineups in the league anyway, so whatever.

Curry
Thompson
Barnes
Green
Bogut

Curry
Thompson
Iguodala
Green
Bogut

Curry
Thompson