PDA

View Full Version : 'I honestly believe Kentucky would make the NBA playoffs in the East'

UK2K
03-19-2015, 01:24 AM
- Larry Brown

Discuss.

Coming from an NBA scribe who doesn’t watch nearly as much college basketball as I’d like to, as someone who has seen way more of the New York Knicks than I would like to (both the current 14-win version of the Knicks, and Larry Brown’s miserable 23-win Knicks team from 2006), I am more than secure in pointing out that the Eastern Conference is as bad as it has ever been, and that the Kentucky Wildcats are a devastatingly good college basketball team.

The 2014-15 Kentucky Wildcats would also be a devastatingly bad NBA team. They’d be perfect for the Eastern Conference, in fact.

The East is awful. Two teams, those Knicks and the infamous Philadelphia 76ers, are outright tanking the season. Two other teams, the struggling Orlando Magic and Detroit Pistons, are attempting to pick up the pieces left by the salted-crop work of the franchise’s previous general managers. The Brooklyn Nets are helmed by an owner and general manager who love to watch profits burn, the Indiana Pacers, Miami Heat and (to a far lesser extent) the Charlotte Hornets have been beset by injuries this season, and the Boston Celtics don’t mind taking their time through a long, loooong rebuilding effort.

The three teams that are tied for the seventh, eighth and ninth spots in the East are currently on pace for 38 wins. Kentucky could finish the season 40-0.

Kentucky features four players who could be drafted in the lottery portion of June’s NBA draft, with seven overall players listed as being likely for selection in most mock drafts. The Wildcats are taller than most NBA teams. The team has won 34 consecutive games by an average of 20.9 points per contest, and by comparison the 72-win Chicago Bulls team of 1995-96 won by an average of "only" 12.3 points per game. This is an incredibly good basketball team whose status is more or less assured even if the squad is knocked off in an upset in the Elite Eight.

Milbuck
03-19-2015, 01:25 AM
He's wrong.

3ball
03-19-2015, 01:26 AM
He's wrong.
He might not be, and regardless, the fact that it's debateable shows how horrific the East has been.

warriorfan
03-19-2015, 01:26 AM
When someone prefaces a statement with "honestly", you can expect some hyperbole to follow.

imdaman99
03-19-2015, 01:28 AM
Can someone tell this guy who lives in Indianapolis that obviously lives his life through 2 teams that are nowhere near Indianapolis, to keep this shit in the college forum? We get it, you like the Kentucky Wildcats. We also get it that you like the Rockets, but that is forgiven in the NBA forum... but enough of your daily 12 threads on the Kentucky Wildcats. Take that shit to the other forum.

Thank you and have a nice day.

2-starred.

inclinerator
03-19-2015, 01:28 AM
maybe back in 2001

Budadiiii
03-19-2015, 01:29 AM
I honestly believe OP is a ******.

Milbuck
03-19-2015, 01:30 AM
He might not be, and regardless, the fact that it's debateable shows how horrific the East has been.
No, he's 100% unquestionably wrong and it's not debatable whatsoever. Anyone who thinks Kentucky even sniffs the playoffs in the EC is ****ing retarded.

sd3035
03-19-2015, 01:31 AM
a high school girls team might make the playoffs in the east

IncarceratedBob
03-19-2015, 01:31 AM
Larry Brown is a **** sucking idiot, this might be the stupidest shit I've ever heard. Knicks would wipe the floor with the KU Wildcats all day, final score 140-44

UK2K
03-19-2015, 01:32 AM
Can someone tell this guy who lives in Indianapolis that obviously lives his life through 2 teams that are nowhere near Indianapolis, to keep this shit in the college forum? We get it, you like the Kentucky Wildcats. We also get it that you like the Rockets, but that is forgiven in the NBA forum... but enough of your daily 12 threads on the Kentucky Wildcats. Take that shit to the other forum.

Thank you and have a nice day.

2-starred.

This is a former NBA coach stating a team full of future NBA players could make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference of the NBA.

If you don't like it, don't click.

But I said at the beginning of the season, they could hang with the Sixers. Well, Larry thinks similarly.

Westbrook0
03-19-2015, 01:33 AM
If the Wildcats were in the NBA, would they go 0-82?

I say yes.

KG215
03-19-2015, 01:36 AM
No, he's 100% unquestionably wrong and it's not debatable whatsoever. Anyone who thinks Kentucky even sniffs the playoffs in the EC is ****ing retarded.
This. Just because Larry Brown says it doesn't mean it's debatable. Kentucky would be the worst team in the NBA.

RightTwoCensor
03-19-2015, 01:37 AM
They'd have a better record than Boston

Legends66NBA7
03-19-2015, 01:39 AM
Ugh... No they wouldn't.

Kentucky would be the worst team in the league. They wouldn't sniff the playoffs.

UK2K
03-19-2015, 01:55 AM
They'd have a better record than Boston
Before they got IT, probably.

I still think Kentucky is better than the Knicks. If you threw every NBA player, plus the 10 off UK, and threw them all in a 'one season' draft, you'd have 5 taken off Kentucky before you'd have 5 taken off the Knicks.

bdreason
03-19-2015, 02:01 AM
About as likely as the Rockets making a serious playoff run.

Done_And_Done
03-19-2015, 02:04 AM
It's an interesting scenario to envision but in all actuality I would fully expect any NBA team to wipe the floor with Kentucky 10 out of 10 times. We're talking the difference between men and boys here.

GrapeApe
03-19-2015, 02:09 AM
Before they got IT, probably.

I still think Kentucky is better than the Knicks. If you threw every NBA player, plus the 10 off UK, and threw them all in a 'one season' draft, you'd have 5 taken off Kentucky before you'd have 5 taken off the Knicks.

That's missing the point. It's not about raw talent. The gap between college and pro is enormous. It's a completely different game. It's men versus boys. Plus none of the UK players have gone through anything like the grind of an 82 game NBA season.

UK2K
03-19-2015, 02:14 AM
It's an interesting scenario to envision but in all actuality I would fully expect any NBA team to wipe the floor with Kentucky 10 out of 10 times. We're talking the difference between men and boys here.
The Sixers average age was 23.4 to start the season. Six teams have an an average age below 25, and generally its because one guy on the team is well into his 30's (see: Gerald Wallace, 33 (BOS) or Willie Green, 33 (ORL).

And Kentucky has a bigger roster than every NBA team except Portland.

I don't think the difference would be as great as you think.

bballnoob1192
03-19-2015, 02:20 AM
is larry brown still coaching in the NBA. that old man is senile if he thinks kentucky can make the playoffs in the east. LMFAO kentucky would be competing with the knicks for last place.

oarabbus
03-19-2015, 02:23 AM
There's no way Kentucky could get more than 5 fluke wins in the NBA and that's PUSHING it.

AnaheimLakers24
03-19-2015, 02:25 AM
Theyd win 0 games. Shot clock violations left an right

UK2K
03-19-2015, 02:33 AM
is larry brown still coaching in the NBA. that old man is senile if he thinks kentucky can make the playoffs in the east. LMFAO kentucky would be competing with the knicks for last place.
He was coach of the year at Kansas and won a championship, he won an NBA championship with the Pistons, and was the coach of Team USA. He's one of only four coaches with 1000 NBA wins. He's also the only man to ever coach an NCAA champion and an NBA champion.

But, what does he know, amiright?

Graviton
03-19-2015, 02:38 AM
Theyd win 0 games. Shot clock violations left an right
Exactly, idk how the OP thinks otherwise. He is talking about size, age and completely ignoring the fact NBA is different. Longer 3 point line, 24 second shotclock, 48 minutes, more physical, no constant zone defense to hide your terrible players.

Every time I watch college ball, even Kentucky, I laugh at how much time they need to score, constantly going for fastbreaks because their half court offense and defense is pathetic. Against NBA teams those boys would have to play a whole other game they never experienced.

T_L_P
03-19-2015, 02:42 AM
Exactly, idk how the OP thinks otherwise. He is talking about size, age and completely ignoring the fact NBA is different. Longer 3 point line, 24 second shotclock, 48 minutes, more physical, no constant zone defense to hide your terrible players.

Every time I watch college ball, even Kentucky, I laugh at how much time they need to score, constantly going for fastbreaks because their half court offense and defense is pathetic. Against NBA teams those boys would have to play a whole other game they never experienced.

This. Plus, they'd never be able to get NBA players off the glass, even with their impressive size.

Graviton
03-19-2015, 02:42 AM
He was coach of the year at Kansas and won a championship, he won an NBA championship with the Pistons, and was the coach of Team USA. He's one of only four coaches with 1000 NBA wins. He's also the only man to ever coach an NCAA champion and an NBA champion.

You act like that means his OPINION is fact. Guess we can't disagree with people unless we are in their own field.

Better not question politicians, or doctors, or cops, or athletes, or anyone. What do you know, amiright?

Milbuck
03-19-2015, 02:44 AM

What does his resume have to do with anything? As if highly accomplished people have never said stupid things before :oldlol:

KNOW1EDGE
03-19-2015, 02:45 AM
No:no:

J Shuttlesworth
03-19-2015, 02:45 AM
Now this would be a great All-Star game festivity. Put the best college team against the worst NBA team... or hell, even the all star college team against the worst NBA team. Would be so fun to watch

Cleverness
03-19-2015, 02:48 AM
This is why "<ex NBA player/coach> said it, and he knows more than you, so you're wrong" is dumb

JerrySeinfeld
03-19-2015, 02:49 AM
It's the East. Who cares. Making the playoffs in the East is not a big deal.

Sportal
03-19-2015, 03:10 AM
This is ridiculous. The 76ers with a rookie Embiid and Noel would destroy Kentucky 10 times out of 10.

Heavincent
03-19-2015, 03:17 AM
They would win 5 games at most.

Westbrook0
03-19-2015, 03:40 AM
This is a former NBA coach stating a team full of future NBA players could make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference of the NBA.

If you don't like it, don't click.

But I said at the beginning of the season, they could hang with the Sixers. Well, Larry thinks similarly.

It's not "a team full of future NBA players." It's a team with 3-4 future NBA players. In case you didn't notice, the Sixers and Knicks are each teams with 15 CURRENT NBA PLAYERS.

Westbrook0
03-19-2015, 03:41 AM
They would win 5 games at most.

They might win one game at most, if something really really weird happened.

RidonKs
03-19-2015, 04:07 AM
the better question is do they beat the knicks, sixers, or lakers in a 7 game series

Done_And_Done
03-19-2015, 04:21 AM
the better question is do they beat the knicks, sixers, or lakers in a 7 game series

Not a chance Donks. They lose every game and it's not even close.

Bless Mathews
03-19-2015, 04:24 AM
He's wrong.

A man that's been paid to be a part of basketball for what 30, 40 years?

Yea I'll take his word over a internet message board poaster.

I made a thread about this months ago.

Kentucky would destroy a few nba teams.

It kills me when innanent scrubs think they know more than professionals.

Finn T-Mac
03-19-2015, 04:30 AM
No way, last place team. I don't understand how people think KU or any team could have a chance in 82 games. :facepalm

ImKobe
03-19-2015, 04:31 AM
a team that has 0 NBA experience and some lottery picks that may/may not pan out is somehow going to make the Playoffs, much less win more than 5 games in the NBA?

Milbuck
03-19-2015, 04:36 AM

The **** kind of logic is this? So because he's been around basketball for a long time he can never be wrong?

So what about Pat Riley who's been around basketball for 40+ years who said Lebron is the best player ever? You agree on that one too?

Lmfao at Kentucky destroying NBA teams. They barely beat LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, and Louisville and now they're beating down professionals? Jesus ****ing Christ.

dubeta
03-19-2015, 04:37 AM
No, but they would've won the championship in the 60's

raiderfan19
03-19-2015, 04:41 AM
So a team with wade/deng/whiteside that had bosh and dragic for varying different parts of the year might not make the playoffs in the east but a college team would? Riiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhhhtttttt. This Kentucky team is an amazing college team. Maybe the best I've ever seen(though it is fun to imagine what ut could have had with Durant if everyone had stayed(hint they could have theoretically started Daniel Gibson, dj augustin, pj tucker, kd and lamarcus aldridge if everyone hadn't left after their sophomore/freshman seasons) but no college team would ever win more than 4 or 5 games in an nba season. They wouldn't go winless just because they'd catch someone on the 4th game in 5 nights who wouldn't take them remotely seriously and youd end up with an outcome like Knicks spurs yesterday. But they'd be terrible. Oh so terrible

kamil
03-19-2015, 07:09 AM
LeBrons* voodoo powers would have two of their star players out for the regular season with career ending injuries.

Magic731
03-19-2015, 08:08 AM
This is comical. I remember when people were saying Anthony Davis's Kentucky team could beat a few NBA teams. That team only had 3 NBA calibre players: Davis, MKG, Jones. Other guys such as Lamb, Miller and Teague looked good but proved they can't hack it in the NBA. That's the point. This team looks good but in reality only 3-4 guys MAX will be productive NBA players. And I think it's obvious that to win a game in the NBA, you need more than 3-4 productive players.

3peated
03-19-2015, 08:19 AM
fab five would smash them, real talk

Akhenaten
03-19-2015, 08:33 AM
Disrespectful and stupid

He's essentially saying this team is as good or better than the current Miami Heat

I bet you you he wouldnt say that about any horrible nba team that he coached like the

21-61 '88-'89 Spurs
31-51 '97-'98 Sixers
23-59 '05-06 Knicks
35-47 '08-'09 Cats

He would never say this Kentucky team would beat or have a better record than any of those NBA teams he coached out of respect for him self and his former players. So then he should have the same respect and good sense to not disrespect these current professionals.

At 74 years old he should really know better, this was in very poor taste and quite moronic. It's like all these clowns hyping up that ugly UFC broad, talking about all the pro men she would or could beat.

Arguing inane scenarios that will never happen should be left to msg board nerds, some of LB's pedigree should not be having these loose, idle, stupid conversations.

Derka
03-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Its not debatable. Its an idiot's opinion.

Derka
03-19-2015, 08:59 AM

If he honestly believes this? A lot less than I thought he did.

RoseCity07
03-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Kentucky would go 0-82 in the NBA regular season if they played the Knicks every night.

3peated
03-19-2015, 09:21 AM
Kentucky would go 0-82 in the NBA regular season if they played the Knicks every night.

right...because they wouldn't grow as a team or anything..lol, you're dumb.

RoseCity07
03-19-2015, 09:23 AM
right...because they wouldn't grow as a team or anything..lol, you're dumb.

****ing lol. The best college team has 3-4 NBA talents. The worst NBA team has 15.

They played 48 minutes. Play more games in a shorter amount of time. They schedule alone would destroy them.

bagelred
03-19-2015, 09:24 AM
If Kentucky played in the NBA, I think they'd go 0-82. Maybe they'd get 1 or 2 as a true upset, but I doubt it.

Shit, the Knicks beat the Spurs the other night. You think Kentucky would have any chance to beat the Spurs ever? Uh...no....

UK2K
03-19-2015, 11:33 AM
It's not "a team full of future NBA players." It's a team with 3-4 future NBA players. In case you didn't notice, the Sixers and Knicks are each teams with 15 CURRENT NBA PLAYERS.
Because they have to have 15 lol

Fantasy draft the Knicks players and Kentucky players right now, for one season.

So... 20 player draft.

You would take Melo, obviously. But then...

I'd take Karl Anthony Towns, Willie Cauley Stein, Dakari Johnson, and Trey Lyles over any big the Knicks have. Quincy acy? He was a mediocre player in college. Jason Smith? Haha.

What about the guards? Other than Galloway and Hardaway, their guards are horrible too.

You can say 'oh they play in the NBA'. But none of those guys on that roster were worth a shit in college a year or two or three ago. You think they went from mediocre college player to serviceable NBA player in two years?

Wally450
03-19-2015, 11:41 AM
The current Kentucky Wildcats in the NBA would get smoked by the Knicks, 76ers and other horrible teams in the league.

The skill gap is so large from the NCAA to the NBA its beyond stupid that people think Kentucky would compete.

UK2K
03-19-2015, 12:08 PM
****ing lol. The best college team has 3-4 NBA talents. The worst NBA team has 15.

They played 48 minutes. Play more games in a shorter amount of time. They schedule alone would destroy them.
Kentucky has 11 players ranked in ESPN Insider Chad Ford's top 100 NBA prospects. No other team in the field has more than four.

Chad Ford says they have more than 3.

FKAri
03-19-2015, 12:24 PM

I'll take the homeless guy on my street corner's word over Larry "dumbfuk" Brown.

GrapeApe
03-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Kentucky has 11 players ranked in ESPN Insider Chad Ford's top 100 NBA prospects. No other team in the field has more than four.

Chad Ford says they have more than 3.

Even if all 11 become NBA players (highly unlikely), you still have a team made up entirely of 18-19 year olds with zero NBA experience. It would be a disaster.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Kentucky's level of skill in the NCAA means nothing if the players flame out in the NBA. There's no guarantee that their games translate to the NBA level.

They may be a great, even historically great college squad but that doesn't make them an NBA ready team.

T_L_P
03-19-2015, 12:31 PM
They win 2 games, maybe.

DaSeba5
03-19-2015, 12:33 PM
This is a joke. The Knicks would beat them 82 times. They wouldn't even be able to beat a D-league team.

SwishSquared
03-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Interesting to debate, so thanks for creating the thread, UK2K, but lettuce be real. The Kentucky team's top level, future NBA talent, based on this season alone, is Booker, Lyles, Towns, WCS, and Johnson. Now that's a talented bunch of bigs but they have 1 guy who might be a legit NBA guard. I'm low on the Harrison twins and Ulys has potential, but they're not rotation NBA level players yet. On most nights they'd get destroyed at PG and SF, not to mention their depth at those two spots is probably worse than what the 76ers are fielding there (Smith, Canaan, Covington, Grant >>).

This Kentucky team would be a bottom 5 team overall, no question. The Magic are the 5th worst team in the whole NBA and they have much more talent than UK. Moe Harkless would start for the Wildcats and he's barely played for the Magic this year (although he's been mad underutilized). Larry Brown is waaaaay off, regardless of past success and a wealth of experience.

Of course I might be wrong and would gladly admit as much.

GOBB
03-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Kentucky has no chance vs an NBA team. NBA game is different than college. Harrison twins poor dribble and lateral quickness would get exposed. Their half court offense would look bad. I dont even think they have the conditioning to play over 30 minutes vs an NBA team. You can't bring in the backup 5 and think you can get away splitting minutes.

Sixers would beat them by at least 20.

tontoz
03-19-2015, 07:28 PM

It's not debatable. At all.

Look at Anthony Davis and his college teamates during their rookie years. Put those guys on a team together and they would have sucked.

They had the top two picks in the first round when they came out in 2012, 4 in the first round. And they would have been the worst team in the league.

GOBB
03-19-2015, 07:36 PM
I dont feel this is a better Kentucky team than Anthony Davis team. How come that is never debated or debated more (sure its been tossed out there). Seems Kentucky vs NBA team takes on more steam than Davis Kentucky team vs todays Kentucky team.

G-train
03-19-2015, 07:44 PM
There isn't much difference between the top 5 teams in each conference.
6-9 or so the West is stronger.
10-15 about the same.

East being horrible is biggest myth in NBA atm.

G-train
03-19-2015, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=UK2K]
[B]Kentucky features four players who could be drafted in the lottery portion of June

GOBB
03-19-2015, 07:52 PM
10-15 about the same.

Myth in what way? Maybe you look at it from a different perspective, so I'm curious. The way I look at it is there could be 3 teams that are under .500 in the playoffs out East. Milw is 34-34 That's just not a good look imo. I guess if Jabari, Bosh, George don't get hurt, the playoff seedings look more respectable. Thus making the whole weak argument a bit weak in itself. Looking at it this way, then yeah I'm not on the omfg easy soooooo weak wagon.

LoneyROY7
03-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Kentucky would get absolutely destroyed by every NBA team.

bagelred
03-19-2015, 08:16 PM
This reminds me when Brian Scalibriane played those non pros one-on-one in the "Scallenge". Remember that? All those guys thought that Brian was so bad they could beat him?

He destroyed every one of them.

Legends66NBA7
03-19-2015, 08:21 PM
Myth in what way? Maybe you look at it from a different perspective, so I'm curious. The way I look at it is there could be 3 teams that are under .500 in the playoffs out East. Milw is 34-34 That's just not a good look imo. I guess if Jabari, Bosh, George don't get hurt, the playoff seedings look more respectable. Thus making the whole weak argument a bit weak in itself. Looking at it this way, then yeah I'm not on the omfg easy soooooo weak wagon.

I agree.

I said this last year too when the East was more weak than the current East... If Atlanta, Chicago, Brooklyn, New York, Milwaukee, etc.... don't have their key guys injured for most of the year or whole year, the East would be a better product. Still no comparison top to bottom vs the West, but more respectable.

Eric Cartman
03-19-2015, 08:25 PM
Larry Brown senile motherf*cker

GOBB
03-19-2015, 08:31 PM
I agree.

I said this last year too when the East was more weak than the current East... If Atlanta, Chicago, Brooklyn, New York, Milwaukee, etc.... don't have their key guys injured for most of the year or whole year, the East would be a better product. Still no comparison top to bottom vs the West, but more respectable.

Then rep me den biatch!

j/k lol white text ftw!

ralph_i_el
03-19-2015, 09:56 PM
no way in hell. They might go 5-77

DMAVS41
03-19-2015, 10:14 PM
They win 2 games, maybe.

More than that likely, but maybe not a lot more. I bet they would win around 6 to 10 games. Wouldn't win much, but:

538.com did an analysis and said they'd lose to the 76ers 78% of the time. While obviously that isn't good, that just shows you that they aren't losing every single time.

This Kentucky team has NBA talent all over it.

It's almost impossible to predict or project, but this isn't a normal stacked college team...they are huge and about as loaded with talent as you'll ever find.

UK2K
03-19-2015, 11:23 PM
More than that likely, but maybe not a lot more. I bet they would win around 6 to 10 games. Wouldn't win much, but:

538.com did an analysis and said they'd lose to the 76ers 78% of the time. While obviously that isn't good, that just shows you that they aren't losing every single time.

This Kentucky team has NBA talent all over it.

It's almost impossible to predict or project, but this isn't a normal stacked college team...they are huge and about as loaded with talent as you'll ever find.

I wouldnt go as far as them making the EC playoffs, but I have no doubt they would win 6-10 games. They are bigger than most (all but one actually) NBA teams, and in a single game, anything is possible.

I hear people argue that the Knicks have 15 NBA players, but honestly, if the Knicks didnt have to have a min salary and didnt have to have 15 players, some of those guys wouldnt have jobs. That team is completely devoid of talent outside Hardaway and Galloway (and Melo of course).

I would take KAT and WCS over any player on their team besides Melo. Seriously.

ZenMaster
03-19-2015, 11:46 PM
I wouldnt go as far as them making the EC playoffs, but I have no doubt they would win 6-10 games. They are bigger than most (all but one actually) NBA teams, and in a single game, anything is possible.

I hear people argue that the Knicks have 15 NBA players, but honestly, if the Knicks didnt have to have a min salary and didnt have to have 15 players, some of those guys wouldnt have jobs. That team is completely devoid of talent outside Hardaway and Galloway (and Melo of course).

Been a lot of "men vs boys" points in this thread, but it's a generality. WCS is 21 years old and so is Andre Drummond both born in August and both are 21 year old highly athletic players. They are JUST as old and them facing up today is not a boys vs men scenario. The kentucky players are not fully grown men yet, but so isn't a lot of players in the NBA.
I don't know about making the playoffs but here's KAT at age 16 almost 3 years ago blocking Russel Westbrook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLOQWTaD7i0&t=64

UK2K
03-19-2015, 11:57 PM
Been a lot of "men vs boys" points in this thread, but it's a generality. WCS is 21 years old and so is Andre Drummond both born in August and both are 21 year old highly athletic players. They are JUST as old and them facing up today is not a boys vs men scenario. The kentucky players are not fully grown men yet, but so isn't a lot of players in the NBA.
I don't know about making the playoffs but here's KAT at age 16 almost 3 years ago blocking Russel Westbrook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLOQWTaD7i0&t=64
I pointed out that if you took the random 30+ year olds off of Boston (Gerald Wallace) and Orlando (forgot who it was, but he was 33 too) then a lot of the garbage teams arent any older than Kentucky is now.

And even if they were, so what? That doesn't make you good.

But I see Nerlens averaging a double double in the NBA right now, and Im not entirely sure he'd start over WCS and Karl Towns right now if he played for UK. He may, but he may not. Is he really better than WCS? Eh, they're the same kind of player, but WCS can finish around the rim. I like them both, but whatever.

oarabbus
03-20-2015, 02:10 AM
To make playoffs in the East they'd need to be better than a team with Hill/Hibbert/West or Dragic/Deng/Whiteside. That's a ****ing joke. The UK kids would quit basketball forever if they had to play an NBA team

I pointed out that if you took the random 30+ year olds off of Boston (Gerald Wallace) and Orlando (forgot who it was, but he was 33 too) then a lot of the garbage teams arent any older than Kentucky is now.

And even if they were, so what? That doesn't make you good.

But I see Nerlens averaging a double double in the NBA right now, and Im not entirely sure he'd start over WCS and Karl Towns right now if he played for UK. He may, but he may not. Is he really better than WCS? Eh, they're the same kind of player, but WCS can finish around the rim. I like them both, but whatever.

We barely beat the Sixers by 5 points last time we played, guess the Wildcats could rough up the Warriors too :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Smoke117
03-20-2015, 02:14 AM
The legend Larry Brown is the only coach to ever have an NCAA and NBA championship. How dare you ****ing peasants ever say a bad word about the greatest coach of all time. A bunch of children telling an legendary and brilliant mind of basketball what is what? How ****ing dare all you children.

SwishSquared
03-20-2015, 02:34 AM
But I see Nerlens averaging a double double in the NBA right now, and Im not entirely sure he'd start over WCS and Karl Towns right now if he played for UK. He may, but he may not. Is he really better than WCS? Eh, they're the same kind of player, but WCS can finish around the rim. I like them both, but whatever.Noel, for entire year, is top 8 in DRating, defense box +/-, and rim protection. Only other guy who's done that is Gobert (he's ranked above NN in all 3 categories I believe). He's also #12 in defensive win shares, and only guy in entire league in top 10 for steals & blocks. Not that any one of those things proves he's an amazing defender as a pro, but taken together, he's budding into a monster. Legit anchoring the #11 most efficient defense in the league.

I'm not sure WCS provides that even much impact his first real year in the NBA, although he's easily the DPOY in college. It's entirely possible that he is at that same level, but Noel's got an amazing case for starting alongside Towns on that squad. Noel's, I think, shooting > 40% on jumpers and > 70% on FTs post ASB. Not as big of a liability as he once was.

John Tesh
03-20-2015, 02:50 AM

:applause:

T_L_P
03-20-2015, 03:02 AM
Didn't Kentucky play the Dominican Republic and lose? Remember when BYU lost by 40 to the Italian team that had only 3 NBA players?

Brown is senile as fck. :roll:

UK2K
03-20-2015, 03:09 AM
Noel, for entire year, is top 8 in DRating, defense box +/-, and rim protection. Only other guy who's done that is Gobert (he's ranked above NN in all 3 categories I believe). He's also #12 in defensive win shares, and only guy in entire league in top 10 for steals & blocks. Not that any one of those things proves he's an amazing defender as a pro, but taken together, he's budding into a monster. Legit anchoring the #11 most efficient defense in the league.

I'm not sure WCS provides that even much impact his first real year in the NBA, although he's easily the DPOY in college. It's entirely possible that he is at that same level, but Noel's got an amazing case for starting alongside Towns on that squad. Noel's, I think, shooting > 40% on jumpers and > 70% on FTs post ASB. Not as big of a liability as he once was.

Nerlens also took a year off.

His actual rookie stats would have been pedestrian at best.

He literally had a whole season to work on his offense.

UK2K
03-20-2015, 03:11 AM
Didn't Kentucky play the Dominican Republic and lose? Remember when BYU lost by 40 to the Italian team that had only 3 NBA players?

Brown is senile as fck. :roll:

They played a few French pro teams with former NBA players on it, then lost their last game against a team (the DR) that they beat by 20 4 days before.

ILLsmak
03-20-2015, 07:26 AM
I'd take a wet college team over a long athletic good d college team to be good in the nba.

I think it'd be hard for kentucky to win nba gms.

-Smak

qrich
03-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Kentucky would be lucky to win a dozen games. The offense would be so damn stagnant without a legit point/facilitator. The bigs wouldn't be able to handle NBA level defensive schemes, and would get lost on offense playing man 48 minutes and get into foul trouble. Harrison twins would average 6 turnovers, each.

A better question would be, could they sniff the playoffs in the Development League against fringe NBA players.

Oh, and UoA will show who the real Wildcats are, therefore, they would make the playoffs in the lEast.

Rameek
03-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Kentucky doesnt have all NBA players. You are asking IMMATURE CHILDREN with no basketball IQ to play against GROWN MEN. NBA TEAMS are comprised of the best players in the WORLD and you want to compare that to six 18 year old players who only 2 will actually become something in the NBA. This is the East or not. These guys play 20 to 25 minutes a game but they are supposed to compete against NBA teams East or not.

Look at the past Kentucky teams are all those supposed NBA players thriving?

Dumbest conversation ever

If the NBA is your favorite sport you would not like this conversation to be taken seriously because that would mean the NBA is terrible (east or not) as opposed to how good Kentucky is.

JustinJDW
03-20-2015, 10:09 AM
They would go 0-82 and be blown out every game.

r15mohd
03-20-2015, 11:16 AM
this scenario is always played out yearly in football from NFL to college level, saying a dominant team like Alabama could beat low feeders like Tampa Bay, etc.

these set offenses that colleges run would be obliterated by any NBA team, even the garbage Knicks or Sixers. the NBA game is just played at faster pace that no college team could keep up with.

joe
03-20-2015, 11:27 AM

The Knicks have Cleanthony Early who was dropping 20+ in the final four the last few years, and he hardly ever gets minutes.

r15mohd
03-20-2015, 11:32 AM
The Knicks have Cleanthony Early who was dropping 20+ in the final four the last few years, and he hardly ever gets minutes.

not to mention UK's success is against teams that will have 1-2 NBA worthy players, if lucky. that's not even a starting NBA spot, coming off the bench or even D-League.

raiderfan19
03-20-2015, 11:47 AM
10-15 about the same.

9 of the 11 best teams in the nba are in the west. No one outside of Atlanta or Cleveland would be anywhere near the playoffs in the west. The east is weak.

SwishSquared
03-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Nerlens also took a year off.

His actual rookie stats would have been pedestrian at best.

He literally had a whole season to work on his offense.Right, but you said you didn't even know if Noel would start on this year's Kentucky team. His defensive impact against real NBAers is unreal for a "rookie." Just as WCS has improved past 2 years, Noel has too (and it's pretty likely that his improvement > WCS' improvement given what they've added to their games). Noel's had more time since he only focused on bball, but right now the only thing WCS does better is defending wings for full possessions (which is a huge deal, not trying to diminish him). Towns is only UK big that would potentially start over Noel on an NBA team. Noel would be really, really likely to start on a college team, even this year's UK lol.