prime Nash > prime Arenas

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 06:15 PM
better than Curry doe?
It's close but I'd give the nod to Nash

kennethgriffin
03-19-2015, 06:19 PM
wide open.. maybe..

the best shooters to me are guys who can score even with 1-5 guys in their face anywhere over mid court

i.e. kobe/bird

allot different when you protect your fg/3pt%

MP.Trey
03-19-2015, 06:19 PM
If you consider shot selection part of being a better shooter than you may have a point. However, pure shooting ability (making tough shots, hitting off the dribble or off the catch and from anywhere on the court), I would put Curry and RayRay above him.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Whats his current fg%?

He has a career 49/42.8/90.4 shooting line. No one has matched that across a career.

He's one of two players with career lines of 45+/40+/90+ (the other being Mark Price). His relatively low shooting volume compared to other all-time great shooters might hurt his case but he's been incredibly consistent throughout his career.

tontoz
03-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Nash is certainly up there. But Curry is putting up similar percentages on higher volume.

Nash's career EFG is 55.6%. Curry's is 55.7% and is taking a lot more tough shots. Advantage Curry.

If he stays healthy Curry could go down as the best shooter all time.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 06:21 PM
wide open.. maybe..

the best shooters to me are guys who can score even with 1-5 guys in their face anywhere over mid court

i.e. kobe/bird

You're criticizing him for taking smart shots. He's a point guard, why wouldn't he dish to a teammate if they have a better look than he does?

J Shuttlesworth
03-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Are we talking about pure shooting? Korver is the best catch and shoot player in history

Im Still Ballin
wide open.. maybe..

i.e. kobe/bird

Nash's career percentages

2pt: .524%

0-3ft: .650%

3-10ft: .446%

10-16ft: .478%

16+ft: .484%

3pt: .432%

Budadiiii
Probably the best shot selection, for sure.

kennethgriffin
03-19-2015, 06:25 PM
theres 3 levels of shooters

1) the guys who create their own shot/shoot over people - kobe/bird/curry/durant

2) the guys who run off screens and cant create their own shot half the time - reggie/ray allen/ korver

3) the guys who entirely depend on the greatness of others and wide open looks - steve kerr/ steve nash

kennethgriffin
03-19-2015, 06:28 PM
You're criticizing him for taking smart shots. He's a point guard, why wouldn't he dish to a teammate if they have a better look than he does?

theyre smart because theyre all hes capable of doing.

nash doesnt really have the choice where he can talk contested shots and still hit atleast 34%

nash would dip to 15% if he took the looks bird/kobe/durant took

tontoz
03-19-2015, 06:30 PM

nash doesnt really have the choice where he can talk contested shots and still hit atleast 34%

Kobe's name doesn't belong in this thread. He routinely took crap shots that he didn't have to. He is a career 33.4% shooter from 3 but kept jacking them up.

Nash routinely created his own shots, just not as often as Curry.

John Tesh
03-19-2015, 06:31 PM
He is up there, but no.

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Curry is assisted on 63% of his 3 pointers

Nash is assisted on 48% of his 3 pointers

J Shuttlesworth
03-19-2015, 06:35 PM

1) the guys who create their own shot/shoot over people - kobe/bird/curry/durant

2) the guys who run off screens and cant create their own shot half the time - reggie/ray allen/ korver

3) the guys who entirely depend on the greatness of others and wide open looks - steve kerr/ steve nash
It's far from true to say Ray Allen in his prime couldn't create his own shot. He was a great pure shooter, but he could also create off the dribble and take it to the rim too. He even had some decent finishes at the rim in Miami, but if you watched Sonics/Bucks Ray, you'd know he wasn't just a guy who was shooting off screens. He was the leader/floor general.

kennethgriffin
03-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Kobe's name doesn't belong in this thread. He routinely took crap shots that he didn't have to. He is a career 33.4% shooter from 3 but kept jacking them up.

which is whats amazing about kobe.

think about it like this.. jordan took thousands less. only shot wide open 95% of the time. and still didnt manage to hit a higher % than kobe who took 95% of his threes in someones face 2-3 feet behind the line without even dribbing or going behind a screen.

kobe is basically playstation come to life

and 33.4% is efficient

since it equals out to slightly over 50% output in terms of points per shot. since 50 threes at 33.4% is a fraction over 100 points

its like shooting 50% on 2's...

if kobe was as self conscious and protected his 3pt % and only shot wide open. sure he might hit 40%. but he'd be forced to take allot less 3's... and then his team would suffer since it would mean passing up a guaranteed 50% output and possibly end up a turnover or miss by someone else

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 06:38 PM

He's a point guard who averaged 8.5 APG for his career, why would he take the same looks as Bird/Kobe/Durant? If he didn't have a great look it was his responsibility to get it to a teammate who had a better one.

The three players you named were/are primary scoring options who should be taking more shots, it's foolish to criticize Nash for not matching up favorably against them as far as shot difficulty/frequency.

The only players that I think belong in the conversation with Nash are Ray Allen and Stephen Curry. Both were primary scoring options at times during their careers, Allen has put up elite (to the point of being unmatched) all-round efficiency at SG and Curry looks to be on his way to the title of best shooter ever (I think that he'll probably take it but I'm unwilling to give it to him after only 6 years in the league). I'll admit that I'm a huge Steve Nash fan, so I'm definitely biased towards him, but I believe that he has a case for the title of GOAT shooter. He, Allen, and Curry should be considered the big-3 in that regard, with Bird/Miller being somewhere in the discussion as well.

OldSchoolBBall
03-19-2015, 06:38 PM

Nash wasn't riding the greatness of another player when he had games of 39 pts/12 ast and 48 pts/5 ast in the 2005 playoffs against Dallas.

Bigsmoke
03-19-2015, 06:39 PM
One of them

The best shooter without winning the 3 point competition tho

kennethgriffin
03-19-2015, 06:39 PM
It's far from true to say Ray Allen in his prime couldn't create his own shot. He was a great pure shooter, but he could also create off the dribble and take it to the rim too. He even had some decent finishes at the rim in Miami, but if you watched Sonics/Bucks Ray, you'd know he wasn't just a guy who was shooting off screens. He was the leader/floor general.

rays shooting motion doesnt allow him to be a guy that can be dependant on creating his own shot

he needs to run off screens

yeah maybe back in the day at his absolute peak he could sorta out run someone to a spot and lean sideways.. but he wasnt as efficient at those shots and it was entirely dependant on him beating the defender somewhere...

ray didnt have the ability to just back someone down and fade or shoot over them. he was very limited. which is why he was only ever successful as a role player

sucks you share his nickname. cause the guy is a 2nd tier shooter IMO

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 06:41 PM
FACT

If Nash played with prime Shaq, he'd have shot percentages so ridiculous it would be hands down the greatest shooting seasons of all time

kennethgriffin
03-19-2015, 06:42 PM
He's a point guard who averaged 8.5 APG for his career, why would he take the same looks as Bird/Kobe/Durant? If he didn't have a great look it was his responsibility to get it to a teammate who had a better one.

The three players you named were/are primary scoring options who should be taking more shots, it's foolish to criticize Nash for not matching up favorably against them as far as shot difficulty/frequency.

The only players that I think belong in the conversation with Nash are Ray Allen and Stephen Curry. Both were primary scoring options at times during their careers, Allen has put up elite (to the point of being unmatched) all-round efficiency at SG and Curry looks to be on his way to the title of best shooter ever (I think that he'll probably take it but I'm unwilling to give it to him after only 6 years in the league). I'll admit that I'm a huge Steve Nash fan, so I'm definitely biased towards him, but I believe that he has a case for the title of GOAT shooter. He, Allen, and Curry should be considered the big-3 in that regard, with Bird/Miller being somewhere in the discussion as well.

nash was a product of a system.

stat padded assists and was never good at creating his own shot or defending. which is why hes ringless. no nash led team could ever win a title. its impossible

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Nash wasn't riding the greatness of another player when he had games of 39 pts/12 ast and 48 pts/5 ast in the 2005 playoffs against Dallas.

:applause:

Even though (I don't think) he ever led his team in scoring through a full season he did have the ability to score with volume when he needed to. I can understand using the lack of volume through his career as an argument against him in comparison to Curry/Allen but I think that it was a more a product of him looking to pass first in most games rather than an inability to remain efficient when shooting at a higher volume.

In that 2005 series Nash averaged 30.3/6.5/12 on 55/42/96 shooting while attempting/making the most field goals of anyone on the team.

tontoz
03-19-2015, 06:47 PM
which is whats amazing about kobe.

think about it like this.. jordan took thousands less. only shot wide open 95% of the time. and still didnt manage to hit a higher % than kobe who took 95% of his threes in someones face 2-3 feet behind the line without even dribbing or going behind a screen.

kobe is basically playstation come to life

and 33.4% is efficient

since it equals out to slightly over 50% output in terms of points per shot. since 50 threes at 33.4% is a fraction over 100 points

its like shooting 50% on 2's...

if kobe was as self conscious and protected his 3pt % and only shot wide open. sure he might hit 40%. but he'd be forced to take allot less 3's... and then his team would suffer since it would mean passing up a guaranteed 50% output and possibly end up a turnover or miss by someone else

Kobe was a chucker. He chucked from 3 and chucked even more on long 2s, the worst shot in basketball. Worse yet, he did most of it after the rule which banned the hand check making it easier for perimeter players to get to the rim/foul line.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=bryanko01&match=single&year_id=&is_playoffs=N&team_id=&opp_id=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&shot_pts=&is_make=&shot_type=&shot_distance_min=10&shot_distance_max=22&q1=Y&q2=Y&q3=Y&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=12&time_remain_seconds=0&time_remain_comp=le&margin_min=&margin_max=&c1stat=&c1comp=ge&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&order_by=fg

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 06:47 PM
If anything Nash was the system

You can't call a fastbreak a system

Every team does it

kennethgriffin
03-19-2015, 06:52 PM

that 48 points nash had were the most empty stats i ever saw in nba history

the suns were down by an average of 10-15 points the entire game. and the mavs literally said "let nash get wide open layups/10 footers all day. shut down everyone else. and it worked...

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Curry is assisted on 63% of his 3 pointers

Nash is assisted on 48% of his 3 pointers
Can you explain this Kenneth?

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 06:58 PM

He's just angry that Nash has more MVPs than his idol.

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Why do we discredit Nash for being a smart player?

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 07:07 PM
"Nash can't hit tough shots"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ZesF2ioEE
Check the first couple baskets

If anything shots are even harder for Nash when he's only 6-1

kennethgriffin
03-19-2015, 07:08 PM

nash shot 3 threes a game

curry shoots 8 threes a game

there might be 1.5 times a game when a point guard is absolutely wide open for 3 without the assistance of others

to get off 8 threes usually theres a bit of team work involved for half of them

KungFuJoe
03-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Can't call Nash the best shooter when he hardly took a bad shot. Imagine if Curry dropped his output to Nash levels.

How many 3 pt contests did Nash win?

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Spot ups are a lot easier than off the dribble

Curry shoots a lot more spot up 3s compared to Steve

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 07:17 PM
Can't call Nash the best shooter when he hardly took a bad shot. Imagine if Curry dropped his output to Nash levels.

How many 3 pt contests did Nash win?
Since when was "Best shooter" only determined from 3pt shooting?

Nash murders across the board from every distance

KungFuJoe
03-19-2015, 07:21 PM

I'm not saying Nash ISN'T the best shooter...but you have to take volume into consideration.

Curry shoots WAY more shots than Nash and a ton of them are in someone's face, or just plain WTF type shots.

In Nash's peak year he shot 381 3 pointers and made 47%. That's awesome.

Curry's 2013 season, he shot like 600 of them and made 45%. That's just :wtf:

SpaceJammeR
03-19-2015, 07:24 PM
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab93/totandtai76/IMG_131203384929937_zpsg8hwctbv.jpeg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/totandtai76/media/IMG_131203384929937_zpsg8hwctbv.jpeg.html)

who said this guy??:roll: :roll:

tontoz
03-19-2015, 07:31 PM

Curry and Nash have identical career EFG%.

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 07:36 PM
Curry and Nash have identical career EFG%.
And one guy played half of his career in the toughest defensive era of all time
(late 90's-early 2000's)

warriorfan
03-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Nash is certainly up there. But Curry is putting up similar percentages on higher volume.

Nash's career EFG is 55.6%. Curry's is 55.7% and is taking a lot more tough shots. Advantage Curry.

If he stays healthy Curry could go down as the best shooter all time.

This. OP doesnt know ball

Cali Syndicate
03-19-2015, 07:51 PM
If anything Nash was the system

You can't call a fastbreak a system

Every team does it

Run n gun....

warriorfan
03-19-2015, 07:53 PM
Curry is a better shooter than Nash and let me know when Nash plays for a top ranked defensive team...

http://cdn.meme.am/images/8373718.jpg

tontoz
03-19-2015, 07:54 PM
And one guy played half of his career in the toughest defensive era of all time
(late 90's-early 2000's)

And he never averaged 19 ppg for a season. Curry has averaged over 22 for the past 3 seasons and is only 26.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Curry is a better shooter than Nash and let me know when Nash plays for a top ranked defensive team...

Curry has played 6 years in the NBA. Nash played 18. I think that eventually Curry will surpass Nash but I'm unwilling to crown someone GOAT shooter after 6 years in the league.

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Run n gun....
You make it sound so easy

It can only be successful if you have a ballhandler with the passing and shooting that Nash has

FKAri
03-19-2015, 08:07 PM

Prime Nash created his own shot more often than Steph Curry.

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 08:11 PM
This

The stats support this

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 08:12 PM

This was brought up in another thread (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371096&page=2) too.

To quote myself from it:

Less than half of his 3PT shots were assisted (49.4%) but 'he only takes easy shots'...if he's not shooting off the pass I don't see how a 3 is a consistently easy shot. Curry's 3PT shots were assisted on for his career at a 62.1% clip and Allen's 3PT shots were assisted on 84.6% of the time...but apparently it's Nash taking the easy 3PT shots.

The numbers make it clear that he's able to create his own shot and convert at an elite rate but for whatever reason that seems to be regularly ignored.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 08:17 PM
I decided to look at their 2PT AST%...Nash's 2PT shots were assisted on at a 13.6% rate through his career, Curry's 2PT shots were assisted on at a 26.6% rate. Though this doesn't necessarily speak to the difficulty of the shot being attempted it does make it clear that Nash's elite conversion often came from a shot he created himself.

warriorfan
03-19-2015, 08:23 PM
This

The stats support this

How many full games of Steve Nash have you watched?

How many full games of Steph Curry have you watched?

Massive lies incoming

kennethgriffin
03-19-2015, 08:25 PM
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab93/totandtai76/IMG_131203384929937_zpsg8hwctbv.jpeg (http://s853.photobucket.com/user/totandtai76/media/IMG_131203384929937_zpsg8hwctbv.jpeg.html)

who said this guy??:roll: :roll:

i feel like ive replied to this before. but anyway

- nba record all time guard scoring champion
- nba record most made game winners
- nba record most made buzzer beaters
- nba record tied for most championships by assist leader ( minimum 1 fmvp )
- nba record only FMVP to win 2 titles without a top 50 all time sidekick
- nba record of the 10 top scorers all time. only one to have outscored a team
- nba record there are only 2 games anyone has made 12 threes in one game. kobe owns 1 of them
- nba record most 1st team all nbas in nba history
- nba record most 1st team all defenses in nba history

and i think the last time i responded i ended with "take the good with the bad"

Im Still Ballin
03-19-2015, 08:34 PM
People who disregard Nash's MVP's

He averaged 25 and 12 on good percentages come play-offs.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 08:52 PM
How many full games of Steve Nash have you watched?

How many full games of Steph Curry have you watched?

Massive lies incoming

Did you miss my posts? Steve Nash's shots were assisted much less than Curry's...he's creating more for himself. Just because Curry routinely makes highlight reels for his shooting and Nash made them primarily for his passing doesn't mean that either is limited to that.

dubeta
03-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Can't believe he was Kobe's 4th option in 2013. How far did they go again? :confusedshrug:

FKAri
03-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Can't believe he was Kobe's 4th option in 2013. How far did they go again? :confusedshrug:

All the way...to the lottery.

warriorfan
03-19-2015, 09:04 PM
Did you miss my posts? Steve Nash's shots were assisted much less than Curry's...he's creating more for himself. Just because Curry routinely makes highlight reels for his shooting and Nash made them primarily for his passing doesn't mean that either is limited to that.

Who cares about percentage of shots assisted? If you watch Nash you see tons of those shots are transition 3's off the result of run and gun. It's an easy shot.

Why do these autistic kids get so focused on shooting percentages?

Nash's TS% is .025 higher while Curry is scoring 4 1/2 more points a game.

Do you want 4 1/2 points? Or a 2.5% TS shooting increase?

Oh yeah, Curry is doing it in less minutes per game as well. Alpha Male Curry has so much impact he ends games before the 4th quarter even starts and gets to cruise to the win from the bench.

Stop the agenda guys, Curry is on another level than Prime Nash.

Prime_Shaq
03-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Not sure if the best, but one of the best definitely. The volume he shoots just cannot be compared with other all time greats. Still doesn't deserve the 2 MVPs though.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 10:45 PM
Not sure if the best, but one of the best definitely. The volume he shoots just cannot be compared with other all time greats. Still doesn't deserve the 2 MVPs though.

Bitter? :oldlol:

I think we went over this in another thread a few weeks ago, Nash won because of where his team finished (ahead of Miami in both years). He was the difference maker for Phoenix and was judged to have been the most valuable player (not best). I'm not saying that his MVPs were locks, but he wasn't an undeserving candidate. Phoenix finished 1st in the league in 2004-2005 and 3rd in 2005-2006, all while Nash was putting up elite shooting lines and leading the league in APG/total assists.

Disclaimer: if there's any player that I'll stan, it's going to be Nash. :rockon:

Prime_Shaq
03-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Bitter? :oldlol:

I think we went over this in another thread a few weeks ago, Nash won because of where his team finished (ahead of Miami in both years). He was the difference maker for Phoenix and was judged to have been the most valuable player (not best). I'm not saying that his MVPs were locks, but he wasn't an undeserving candidate. Phoenix finished 1st in the league in 2004-2005 and 3rd in 2005-2006, all while Nash was putting up elite shooting lines and leading the league in APG/total assists.

Disclaimer: if there's any player that I'll stan, it's going to be Nash. :rockon:
Well Kidd did a similar turnaround for the Nets but Duncan ending winning the MVP. Similar case for the Nash and Shaq situation in 2005.

ralph_i_el
03-19-2015, 10:54 PM

1) ...

This is disrespectful as shit. Steve Nash had consistently low % of his field goals off assists. You can look it up on ball ref, I'm not going to make a long ass post just to disprove your trolling. Nash created a very high amount of his own shots and was great off the dribble, he just wasn't seeking his shot anywhere near as much because he was getting easy looks for his teammates and orchestrating ELITE offenses, often overachieving with the talent around him.

He could take and make hard shots, but why would you have him shoot that much when he makes every player that plays with him shoot signifcantly higher %'s?

I still give the edge to Curry, but this thread is bringing dumbass Nash haters out of the woodwork

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 11:01 PM
This is disrespectful as shit. Steve Nash had consistently low % of his field goals off assists. You can look it up on ball ref, I'm not going to make a long ass post just to disprove your trolling. Nash created a very high amount of his own shots and was great off the dribble, he just wasn't seeking his shot anywhere near as much because he was getting easy looks for his teammates and orchestrating ELITE offenses, often overachieving with the talent around him.

He could take and make hard shots, but why would you have him shoot that much when he makes every player that plays with him shoot signifcantly higher %'s?

I still give the edge to Curry, but this thread is bringing dumbass Nash haters out of the woodwork

I tried bringing that up, got this as a response:

Who cares about percentage of shots assisted? If you watch Nash you see tons of those shots are transition 3's off the result of run and gun. It's an easy shot.

It just isn't worth getting into. What could have been a legitimate debate was turned into pure idiocy.

warriorfan
03-19-2015, 11:05 PM
Nash's "unassisted" jumpers came in transition when people would D up Marion and Amare streaking towards the basket and he would have a wide open shot. This gets categorized as "unassisted".

Numbers lie.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-19-2015, 11:06 PM
Well Kidd did a similar turnaround for the Nets but Duncan ending winning the MVP. Similar case for the Nash and Shaq situation in 2005.

I'm not saying that Shaq doesn't have a case, though I haven't really looked into his numbers I would imagine he has a pretty good one. Just trying to offer some context, whether you consider it justified or not, as to why Nash won. Either way they both had fantastic years.

:cheers:

Fire Colangelo
03-19-2015, 11:14 PM
Nash's "unassisted" jumpers came in transition when people would D up Marion and Amare streaking towards the basket and he would have a wide open shot. This gets categorized as "unassisted".

Numbers lie.

Yes, I'm sure that's where he takes all of his 3 pointers.

IGOTGAME
03-19-2015, 11:58 PM

Numbers lie.

They were also open off pick and rolls because that team was so stacked that actually gave Nash shots at times to prevent the rest of the offense. It was an absurb combination of one of the greatest slashing power forwards ever + 40% 3 point shooters and great finishers.

Nash was a great shooter but he wasnt gonna break you down without a screen and create shots on you. But off a pick and roll he could get his shots when he wanted.

warriorfan
03-20-2015, 12:05 AM
They were also open off pick and rolls because that team was so stacked that actually gave Nash shots at times to prevent the rest of the offense. It was an absurb combination of one of the greatest slashing power forwards ever + 40% 3 point shooters and great finishers.

Nash was a great shooter but he wasnt gonna break you down without a screen and create shots on you. But off a pick and roll he could get his shots when he wanted.

You are very correct this team was super stacked, offensively. These guys were all garbage defensively and the suns were a one dimensional team leading to inflated stats and what you could call "a system player". Imagine Curry if you gave him all offensive powerhouses and told him you don't have to give 2 fuccs about D? What do you think would happen? Numbers that would blow Steve Nash out of the fuccing water.

SpaceJammeR
03-20-2015, 12:29 AM
i feel like ive replied to this before. but anyway

- nba record all time guard scoring champion
- nba record most made game winners
- nba record most made buzzer beaters
- nba record tied for most championships by assist leader ( minimum 1 fmvp )
- nba record only FMVP to win 2 titles without a top 50 all time sidekick
- nba record of the 10 top scorers all time. only one to have outscored a team
- nba record there are only 2 games anyone has made 12 threes in one game. kobe owns 1 of them
- nba record most 1st team all nbas in nba history
- nba record most 1st team all defenses in nba history

and i think the last time i responded i ended with "take the good with the bad"

so you telling me that kobe bryant is one of the best shooters of all time with all those terrible record. or are you a delusional piece of $h!t?? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-20-2015, 01:05 AM
He might be. Good form and solid from all areas on the court.

Bird was the same way, but not as great from the FT line. He made up for that by hitting ridiculously tough shots.

Harison
03-20-2015, 03:38 AM
Bird >>

Let Nash shoot high volume at Bird's efficiency, then we could talk.

livingby3's
03-20-2015, 05:05 AM
Nash's just not that kind of player who dictates the game with high volume shots. Defender probably fear his passes more than his shots. That said he's an all time great shooter as well.

Im a big fan of Nash, but Curry's numbers does suggest he's a better shooter if you're talking stats, due to volume.

Steve Nash still holds the most 50 40 90. He's just that consistent. U might want to argue volume, but you don't fault a player for playing smart basketball. Let Curry plays his career out before we talk, till then it's Nash for me.

Hittin_Shots
03-20-2015, 06:31 AM
You are very correct this team was super stacked, offensively. These guys were all garbage defensively and the suns were a one dimensional team leading to inflated stats and what you could call "a system player". Imagine Curry if you gave him all offensive powerhouses and told him you don't have to give 2 fuccs about D? What do you think would happen? Numbers that would blow Steve Nash out of the fuccing water.

Curry has a ridiculously good team and you're arguing a point that curry is better with a guy that's said curry Is better but hasn't been in the league long enough for him to say he's better than Nash.

I'd say curry is the best shooter I've seen creating his. Is the fact you can hit the pass like Nash could not in itself making the open shot for himself?

24-Inch_Chrome
03-20-2015, 08:52 AM
Nash's just not that kind of player who dictates the game with high volume shots. Defender probably fear his passes more than his shots. That said he's an all time great shooter as well.

Im a big fan of Nash, but Curry's numbers does suggest he's a better shooter if you're talking stats, due to volume.

Steve Nash still holds the most 50 40 90. He's just that consistent. U might want to argue volume, but you don't fault a player for playing smart basketball. Let Curry plays his career out before we talk, till then it's Nash for me.

Agreed, particularly with the bolded. :applause:

joe
03-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Nash could drop 30 when he needed to. He proved that over and over.

Suns were stacked? Look at the 2006 roster without Amare and come back. Still made conference finals. That team was hardly more talented than what Kobe had to work with. Nash in his prime was on an all time great level. Deal with it haters.

Curry is phenomenal too. Can't wait to see this dudes career play out.

bizil
03-20-2015, 04:19 PM
If you use 50-40-90 criteria, then Nash has a GREAT CASE to be the best shooter of all time. He has the most 50-40-90 seasons.

And if u look at the 50-40-90 club, ALL OF THEM are HOF caliber players:

Bird
Price
Miller
Nash
Dirk
Durant

And of course u can't forget Ray and Steph. So the guys I listed I view as the best shooters of all time. The reason why is BECAUSE they can dominate a game shooting. Guys like Korver or Reddick can't dominate a game shooting as consistently. Personally, I gotta roll with Steph Curry as the best shooter of all time in terms talent. When it comes to greatness or resume, I think Bird was really THE GUY to put the great three point shooting on the map. He was the first 50-40-90 guy and won all those three point shootouts. And Bird was the best player in the world at one time too. So I lean to Bird in terms of importance and stature.

ralph_i_el
03-20-2015, 04:39 PM
:biggums:

Shawn Marion was garbage defensively?
The Suns weren't even that bad on D. People at the time just saw high point totals and assumed that. They were almost always an average team based on defensive efficiency in the D'Antoni-Nash-Stoudamire days. Below average for a playoff team though, and teams outside the top-10 in defensive efficiency during the regular season almost NEVER win a championship.

Curry has plenty of offensive firepower on his squad. Look at the guys who played with Nash, and compare how they shot in the seasons they played without him.

warriorfan
03-20-2015, 05:11 PM
The reason why Nash gets so many 40-50-90's is because he averaged 18 points a game at his peak.

In case you guys don't realize, the more shots you take, the harder it is to sustain your percentages.

There is a reason why Reggie Miller and other NBA greats have no problem with already crowning Steph Curry as the greatest shooter of all time.

sundizz
03-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Curry is flat out the best shooter the NBA has ever seen.

Part of being the best shooter is being able to create/get a shot. For anyone that plays basketball they would understand how hard it is to create separation.

There are actually a ton of guys that are in the "best" shooter category - Peja, Klay, Rice, Korver, Nash, Price, Stockton, Kerr.....the list goes on and on.

The difference between all of them and Curry is that he is able to create a shot for himself better than all of them. Second would be Ray Ray. Third (imo) is Nash. He actually created space for himself and shots much better than people give him credit for.

If you say pure shooter (as in open gym...takes 500 threes) then it's a toss up between a lot of people.

If you are talking about in game shooting that equates to points on the board...then without question it's Curry. He has the best mix of accuracy, ability to create separation, and volume that has ever graced the hardwood.

Im Still Ballin
03-20-2015, 06:42 PM
Lets wait and see if Curry can even reach the 50/40/90 club once

Lets wait and see if Curry can sustain the consistency that Steve did

Lets wait until he has more than 6 seasons under his belt before he's even in the discussion

Nash is the better shooter

bizil
03-20-2015, 06:54 PM
The reason why Nash gets so many 40-50-90's is because he averaged 18 points a game at his peak.

In case you guys don't realize, the more shots you take, the harder it is to sustain your percentages.

There is a reason why Reggie Miller and other NBA greats have no problem with already crowning Steph Curry as the greatest shooter of all time.

I agree with that! And in my post, I said Curry is the best shooter of all time. And in terms of legacy and importance, I think Bird is the greatest. However, Nash proved that he could go off scoring on DAMN CLOSE to an alpha dog level from the PG position. He knew when it was time to takeover a game scoring AND WASN'T bashful.

He could be UNSTOPPABLE with his shooting and slashing ability. He was the ultimate floor general so he looked to pass first. If he had a combo guard mentality, I'm convinced Nash could rack up 22 points a night.

Before Curry came along, Nash was the greatest shooting PG of all time. And before that, Mark Price was. Its all about evolution. Curry is currently evolving what Nash and Price did. The main difference is that Steph for all intents and purposes is the ULTIMATE COMBO GUARD! If u are going to be a combo guard, guys like Steph and Jerry West see the game THE PERFECT WAY in terms of scoring and passing.

warriorfan
03-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Lets wait and see if Curry can even reach the 50/40/90 club once

Lets wait and see if Curry can sustain the consistency that Steve did

Lets wait until he has more than 6 seasons under his belt before he's even in the discussion

Nash is the better shooter

:facepalm

Im Still Ballin
03-20-2015, 06:58 PM
This message is hidden because warriorfan is on your ignore list.

If you can see this, stop posting in my threads

warriorfan
03-20-2015, 07:03 PM
I don't know shit about basketball
:cry: :cry: :cry:

:roll:

RoseCity07
03-20-2015, 07:39 PM
I think he's a better shooter than Curry. Funny I was just thinking about how Nash made everyone so much money from his easy set ups. He was such a threat because if you didn't track him he is going to score.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-20-2015, 07:47 PM
I think he's a better shooter than Curry. Funny I was just thinking about how Nash made everyone so much money from his easy set ups. He was such a threat because if you didn't track him he is going to score.

Too many people are sleeping on Nash in this thread just because he chose not to be a volume shooter on a nightly basis. I'd be surprised if Curry doesn't eventually surpass him but Nash is still my personal #1, he was the model of elite to the point of unmatched shooting consistency over 18 seasons.

Nash has the best career shooting line in league history and was an all-time great passer, even if he's not the one scoring on a given possession you can bet that someone is being set up for an easy bucket.

warriorfan
03-20-2015, 08:29 PM
OP ran out of hands to hold all the L's so he started spamming new threads :oldlol:

TheBigVeto
03-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Yes he is, he's a better shooter than Larry Bird and a better passer than Magic Johnson. Definitely the GOAT PG.