PDA

View Full Version : Common, Pharrell, and

Heilige
03-20-2015, 12:59 AM
What are your thoughts on the "new blacks" ish? (Common, Pharell, Will Smith, Kanye West, Terrance Howard, etc)

[QUOTE]

plowking
03-20-2015, 01:10 AM
Where are they cosigning the fact that black people are inferior, lazy or lacking in ambition?

They have a perfect attitude in my opinion. Get out there, and make the most of what you can, regardless of the hand you were dealt. Like Common said, why should they hold on to what happened in the past?
I'm not entirely sure what the climate over there is between blacks and whites, but I know it isn't an even playing ground exactly. At the same time that should inspire you even more to want to get somewhere.

Racism will always be around, and that is just the pure simple fact of it.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-20-2015, 01:21 AM
Why are you obsessed with race? Quit spamming the OTC with your odd fixation and grab a life.

Heilige
03-20-2015, 01:29 AM
Where are they cosigning the fact that black people are inferior, lazy or lacking in ambition?

They have a perfect attitude in my opinion. Get out there, and make the most of what you can, regardless of the hand you were dealt. Like Common said, why should they hold on to what happened in the past?
I'm not entirely sure what the climate over there is between blacks and whites, but I know it isn't an even playing ground exactly. At the same time that should inspire you even more to want to get somewhere.

Racism will always be around, and that is just the pure simple fact of it.

I am saying is that it cannot be put on the shoulders of the minority to change what the majority does. Blacks are 13% of this country. (United States) Blacks have too many problems stemming from their history to be able to become this perfect little community that white people (in general) suddenly decides deserves to be considered equal.

It just feels like to me that Common and others are selling their very souls for some money and temporary acceptance/validation from white people.

Common is getting some backlash because of the idea that it is on the shoulders of black people to stop white people from discriminating and being racist towards them.

The Iron Sheik
03-20-2015, 01:29 AM
i think i've figured out something: maybe part of the reason so many white guys seem to openly racist is that they are tired of black people abusing white guilt. no one has a worse reputation (in a historical context) than the western white man. we always hear about how terrible europeans were, but we never hear about the white version of martin luther king or something. i think that's why a lot of white dudes (not just on here) push back a lot. in a sense i can't blame them. i would be mad if i got blamed for everything other stupid people of my race did....even though that does happen to every black person.

Heilige
03-20-2015, 01:30 AM
Why are you obsessed with race? Quit spamming the OTC with your odd fixation and grab a life.

I apologize. This will be my last thread on race if that is how most of ish feels.

KNOW1EDGE
03-20-2015, 04:10 AM
I still don't understand what your beef is with anything they said? I don't get what anyone could possibly be offended by?

Would you point out exactly what it is they said that was inaccurate or offensive? :confusedshrug:

Heilige
03-20-2015, 05:17 AM
I still don't understand what your beef is with anything they said? I don't get what anyone could possibly be offended by?

Would you point out exactly what it is they said that was inaccurate or offensive? :confusedshrug:

By Common even bringing it up it implies black people as a whole have in some way been equivalently unloving to their white neighbors and they somehow need to learn to "change" now. I'd say integrating, wanting to live along side white people, adapting to their laws and coexisting in general after all black people have been through is somehow not enough. They still need to be nicer even though they've been "nice" for centuries.

I am saying is that it cannot be put on the shoulders of the minority to change what the majority does. Blacks are 13% of this country. (United States) Blacks have too many problems stemming from their history to be able to become this perfect little community that white people (in general) suddenly decides deserves to be considered equal.

It just feels like to me that Common and others are selling their very souls for some money and temporary acceptance/validation from white people.

Common is getting some backlash because of the idea that it is on the shoulders of black people to stop white people from discriminating and being racist towards them.

It ain't that easy to say let's get past this, because it gives the impression of ignorance is bliss. Bury your head in the sand and act like it isn't there. On one hand I get moving on, but the definition of moving on shouldn't be "let's get past this" it should be let's combat this issue in the now through education and fight for a common cause.

Yes, black people that feel disenfranchised should do everything in their power to make a better life for themselves. They should try to excel every way they can and not let racism control their potential in life. That doesn't mean they should act like racism doesn't exist and doesn't need clear conversation and action to work on reducing.

When Common says showing love is the way forward, when Charles Barkley says respect is the problem, when Pharell says "you're holding yourself back", people get angry.

Because it doesn't reflect reality. Because of Ferguson report. Because of Stop and Frisk stats in New York. Because whites who are high school dropouts with a higher median new worth greater than blacks and Hispanics who are college graduates. People are angry because the overwhelming problem is not black people and any time you waste time focusing on what's not the problem, it feels like an "out" for leaders and those in power, who are frequently white.

"Letting it go" doesn't change those things above. Being nicer isn't changing those things above. Wearing ties instead of t-shirts isn't changing it. Blacks being nice and upstanding in a tie isn't changing the wage gap. It's not changing police brutality. It's not changing the way the news media reports on actions against black people.

It's all a goddamn smokescreen and people are tired of it. It's not about you feeling bad, it's about black people being mistreated, beaten, and ****ing killed.

I'm saying black people just being positive isn't going to fix racism. Black people just being kind and loving isn't going to fix racism. Do you believe black culture goes around with a mound of hate on its back and that's why racism still exists? Of course not. Institutional racism is much larger than that. This is not a "both sides" problem, despite what Common may believe. Again, even Stewart points that out.

This is an issue where those in power and many others behind him, don't believe the problem exists at all. And everytime one of these soundbitey statements happens, these people latch onto it and say "See? This is why racism is alive! Because black people can't get over it! Listen to Common!"

This article explains how I feel:

https://www.vpointnews.com/Article/5485/new-black-celebrities-like-common-arent-just-stupid-theyre-dangerous

Another article that is interesting:

http://gawker.com/the-curious-case-of-the-new-black-a-conversation-1649462578

NumberSix
03-20-2015, 05:18 AM
i think i've figured out something: maybe part of the reason so many white guys seem to openly racist is that they are tired of black people abusing white guilt. no one has a worse reputation (in a historical context) than the western white man. we always hear about how terrible europeans were, but we never hear about the white version of martin luther king or something. i think that's why a lot of white dudes (not just on here) push back a lot. in a sense i can't blame them. i would be mad if i got blamed for everything other stupid people of my race did....even though that does happen to every black person.
Just try to grasp how weird this is.

Every race took part in slavery. Some to a much larger degree than Europeans. The ONLY group that stood up to END slavery, is Europeans. The ONLY people who fought a war against their own people to free another people is Europeans. Yet, all the people who did nothing to end slavery get a free pass and it's only the one group of people who ended it that get blame.

It wasn't blacks, Arabs or Asians who patrolled the seas of the earth making sure nobody transported slaves. It was the British.

How many people here know that during the trans-Atlantic slave trade, only 4% of the slaves went to North America? The vast majority went to Latin-America and the Caribbean. Why is there never any outrage from blacks for "Latinos", who had more African slavery and also did nothing to end it? Why do some people try to align blacks and Latinos together as "people of color" against the evil white people? How did Latinos get off the hook?

In the 1950s and 1960s when people people like Malcolm X and the Nation of Islam were ranting about the evil white devils and how blacks need to reject Christianity and embrace islam, how did nobody mention to them "uhh, you know that in Saudi Arabia, they STILL have the African slave trade"? Who finally convinced the Saudis to outlaw it? Britain.

The truth is, nobody actually does care about slavery. Just like they don't actually care about unarmed black people getting killed. They just like to exploit certain topics for the purpose of making their political arguments.

Case in point, did you know that there are more slaves in the world today than at any point in history? Does anybody really make a big fuss about it? The democrats just recently blocked a human trafficing Bill, so despite what they tell you, they definitely couldn't care less about slavery. If they don't care about the slaves of 2015, they definitely don't care about the slaves of 1850. They'd probably start pretending to care though if there was political capital to be gained.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-20-2015, 10:26 AM
By Common even bringing it up it implies black people as a whole have in some way been equivalently unloving to their white neighbors and they somehow need to learn to "change" now. I'd say integrating, wanting to live along side white people, adapting to their laws and coexisting in general after all black people have been through is somehow not enough. They still need to be nicer even though they've been "nice" for centuries.

It ain't that easy to say let's get past this, because it gives the impression of ignorance is bliss. Bury your head in the sand and act like it isn't there. On one hand I get moving on, but the definition of moving on shouldn't be "let's get past this" it should be let's combat this issue in the now through education and fight for a common cause.

Yes, black people that feel disenfranchised should do everything in their power to make a better life for themselves. They should try to excel every way they can and not let racism control their potential in life. That doesn't mean they should act like racism doesn't exist and doesn't need clear conversation and action to work on reducing.

When Common says showing love is the way forward, when Charles Barkley says respect is the problem, when Pharell says "you're holding yourself back", people get angry.

Because it doesn't reflect reality. Because of Ferguson report. Because of Stop and Frisk stats in New York. Because whites who are high school dropouts with a higher median new worth greater than blacks and Hispanics who are college graduates. People are angry because the overwhelming problem is not black people and any time you waste time focusing on what's not the problem, it feels like an "out" for leaders and those in power, who are frequently white.

"Letting it go" doesn't change those things above. Being nicer isn't changing those things above. Wearing ties instead of t-shirts isn't changing it. Blacks being nice and upstanding in a tie isn't changing the wage gap. It's not changing police brutality. It's not changing the way the news media reports on actions against black people.

It's all a goddamn smokescreen and people are tired of it. It's not about you feeling bad, it's about black people being mistreated, beaten, and ****ing killed.

I'm saying black people just being positive isn't going to fix racism. Black people just being kind and loving isn't going to fix racism. Do you believe black culture goes around with a mound of hate on its back and that's why racism still exists? Of course not. Institutional racism is much larger than that. This is not a "both sides" problem, despite what Common may believe. Again, even Stewart points that out.

This is an issue where those in power and many others behind him, don't believe the problem exists at all. And everytime one of these soundbitey statements happens, these people latch onto it and say "See? This is why racism is alive! Because black people can't get over it! Listen to Common!"

This article explains how I feel:

https://www.vpointnews.com/Article/5485/new-black-celebrities-like-common-arent-just-stupid-theyre-dangerous

Another article that is interesting:

http://gawker.com/the-curious-case-of-the-new-black-a-conversation-1649462578

You know.. I was going to give you a halfway decent response until I read your last post. That sounded all kinds of generic, so I googled it, and what do you know? That exact post was originally written here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=156563311

Wow. Do you like..have anything original to share of your own? Is this even how you really feel? lol. Or do you just go around cut and pasting other people's thoughts and present them like they're your own...just to have something to say?

Heilige
03-20-2015, 10:28 AM
You know.. I was going to give you a halfway decent response until I read your last post. That sounded all kinds of generic, so I googled it, and what do you know? That exact post was originally written here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=156563311

Wow. Do you like..have anything original to share of your own? Is this even how you really feel? lol. Or do you just go around cut and pasting other people's thoughts and present them like they're your own...just to have something to say?

Yeah that's how I really feel.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Yeah that's how I really feel.
I highly doubt that, but go ahead and prove me wrong.

Say something original.

Dresta
03-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Fact is racism and discrimination isn't the reason for a race's failure to get ahead and move up the social ladder. Plenty of other groups, all throughout the world and throughout history, have faced extensive discrimination, and yet still had upward economic mobility.

Think the answers will mostly lie in cultures and family environments. The Jews have been terribly persecuted all throughout history, in almost all places, and yet in each one of these, they made themselves more successful than the natives. The Chinese in Malaysia faced not just unofficial, but official discrimination, yet they earn more than their Malay counterparts.

If you want real reasons you need to look somewhere else than simple 'racism' - viewed historically, and in a wider context, laying the blame here makes no sense. It is the easy answer, that calls for lots of moralising, and no real solutions (or solutions that just make the problem worse, or reinforce it).

Isn't there a large discrepancy (at least, there used to be) between the incomes of West Indian Americans, and other black Americans, and that has something to do with the cultural vacuum of the latter (and it doesn't fit into the 'institutional racism explains all' rubric).

sundizz
03-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Just my observation from my personal life - most people get dealt what they consider an unfair hand. The only ethnicity that I see directly fighting that is black Americans. Most other ethnicities seem to accept that life is unfair and that they need to work harder than privileged people to get to where they want in life.

Just seems like a pervasive attitude differences between the races. I assume it is largely because other races came to America for a better life (and came knowing they'd have to face discrimination), whereas black Americans are basically "from" America at this point and hate that as generational Americans they still don't receive any form of the nationalistic privilege (e.g., property, politicians, education, recreation) that should exist when you'd have family roots for multiple generations in one spot.

I blame it on rap. Nowadays, young kids listen to such odd garbage that they at least are a little bit yuppie. 90's urban kids listened to way too much gangsta stuff and have that ride or die mentality engrained for no reason.

DonDadda59
03-20-2015, 12:52 PM
Money & power trumps racial animosity to a large degree in our society. It's not surprising that some wealthy Black people don't experience the same racial issues poorer minorities might and thus feel disconnected from it. It's the same reason why so many racists here worship wealthy Black athletes/musicians/etc.

Raymone
03-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Sounds like you're just angry that they don't carry the same shoulder chip you do.