PDA

View Full Version : Is Malone better than Duncan?|Kevin Garnett Is Overrated - Mixed Tape Videos

jongib369
03-20-2015, 09:57 PM
http://www.basket4us.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/50879791-e1371709151724.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=griYjHK_uBw

Thoughts on their points?

IncarceratedBob
03-20-2015, 10:03 PM
KG is a better player than Duncan. Can't argue with Duncan's team accomplishments though, must be nice to have an all time great coach/general manager who consistently puts great teams around ya

inclinerator
03-20-2015, 10:11 PM
tim duncan loves muscular men

raiderfan19
03-21-2015, 03:18 AM
Interesting video.

T_L_P
03-21-2015, 03:35 AM
Duncan is a better player than Malone.

Prime Malone was a better scorer (I'm going by Playoffs, which makes up more than 75% of your legacy), but Duncan was a more efficient scorer, in a more defensive-minded era (Malone was old so I can excuse, but it's worth mentioning that his TS% from 99-04 was .506, prime TS% of .534 compared to Duncan's .562). Not to mention Malone had the second best pure PG ever.

Duncan was a better rebounder, passer, leader, he peaked much higher and played vastly superior defense.

Dragic4Life
03-21-2015, 03:37 AM
tim duncan loves muscular men
:roll:

raiderfan19
03-21-2015, 04:21 AM

Prime Malone was a better scorer (I'm going by Playoffs, which makes up more than 75% of your legacy), but Duncan was a more efficient scorer, in a more defensive-minded era (Malone was old so I can excuse, but it's worth mentioning that his TS% from 99-04 was .506, prime TS% of .534 compared to Duncan's .562). Not to mention Malone had the second best pure PG ever.

Duncan was a better rebounder, passer, leader, he peaked much higher and played vastly superior defense.
When are you calling the more defensive era? Because the mid 90s to early 00s is basically the goat defensive era in nba history and Malone played through the entirety of that while Duncan played through some of it but then went back to a run and gun era literally the year after Malone retired.

I watched both play and Duncan mattered more than Malone because of the type of player he was rather than how much better of a player he was. Duncan's defense is interesting because he was actually a terrible man defender after he lost his elite quickness for a big(basically 1999-2003 Duncan is the perfect defensive 4 though. Elite rim protection, elite man d, could switch on smaller players when needed) but like I said after 2005 or so until 2 years ago when they quit ever asking him to guard anyone who could make a jumper/score)Duncan couldn't guard any 4 that could shoot an 18 fter. And Malone for a large part of his career was a better man defender than Duncan. He'll even 2004 Malone was still a very good man defender. The problem is man defense isn't nearly as important as team defense and Duncan has always been an elite team defender.

As for the offense, no one has ever been better at what I call novocaine offense(yes I ripped that off from remember the titans. The same pick and rolls absolutely killed people who didn't have the mental discipline or the will to be absolutely perfect in covering it every play which is why he put up the monster numbers he did. The problem was he was never a give him the ball and he can create a look for himself or someone else guy so it lead to a bunch of failed big plays because the people who can't keep that discipline all game in the regular season can certainly do it for 3-4 minute stretches in big games. And then that leaves him with just his ninja kick jumper which wasn't terrible by any means but not a weapon you want to build a crunch time offense around the way Duncan's post game was.

So basically to some that whole tldr post up, I can see a legit argument that Malone might have been "better" than Duncan if you want to look at it a certain way, but he was never going to be greater and his game was never as good for a team as Duncan's.

swagga
03-21-2015, 06:41 AM
http://www.basket4us.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/50879791-e1371709151724.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=griYjHK_uBw

Thoughts on their points?

duncan offers malone's skills + elite rim protection & dpoy man/team defense + elite leadership.

dumb question.

warriorfan
03-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Duncan
Garnett

Malone

T_L_P
03-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Duncan
Garnett

Malone

IMO

Duncan
Garnett
Dirk
Barkley

Malone

Scottie never uttered truer words than 'the mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays', tbh.

Gotterdammerung
03-21-2015, 09:50 AM

This.

Karl Malone was one of the greatest power forwards of all time & the best at running the floor. But his weakness is why he routinely underperformed in the playoffs. He did not rise to the occasion (miss clutch free throws and take bad shots). I recall Malone spinning baseline and take a low percentage fadeaway instead of posting up into the lane from the left box to take tougher shots.

Also Malone was powerful enough to muscle any post up player away from his favorite spot, but his lateral quickness was below average. That means anyone could face him and get off a shot with a clean look at the basket. So Malone played defense with his hands, hacking at the ball right when the shooter gathered himself. Sometimes this worked but most of the time Malone missed and left himself open and exposed the interior defense of his team. You never saw Duncan do that bitch ass move.
:facepalm

DatAsh
03-21-2015, 11:18 AM
Their arguments against Garnett are ridiculous. They basically say, yes, his intensity and drive to win make everyone around him better, but that doesn't matter because it doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

If Malone is a +6 and Garnett is a +3, but Garnett makes everyone else on the team +1, then Garnett is the better player, by far.

jongib369
03-21-2015, 11:27 AM
Their arguments against Garnett are ridiculous. They basically say, yes, his intensity and drive to win make everyone around him better, but that doesn't matter because it doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

If Malone is a +6 and Garnett is a +3, but Garnett makes everyone else on the team +1, then Garnett is the better player, by far.
They're an interesting channel, but need some work. In the video I posted I had a discussion with them, and it seems as if they think Chamberlain was taller than Kareem....She tried making a point that if Kareem and others had a 5 inch advantage over all the other centers(Which he did not have, if they want to go that route shaq with his weight had an overall bigger size advantage) they could of been more dominent...While ignoring the point I made that Thurmond played better D on Kareem than Wilt even though Kareem is taller.

I'd like to see them do well and get more views, but not until they get their facts straight about the people they talk about

In regards to the actual video topic and the one I mentioned, they seem to completely ignore that winning is a team accomplishment, and a lot of factors outside of the individual come into play. If you ever have the time, make your case to them. They aren't a big channel yet, so your opinion would be heard

It's important for people like us to correct supposed educational channels if they make blatant errors in their reasoning/facts

*edit
They also seem oblivious to roles of players

Pointguard
03-21-2015, 02:04 PM

This.

How the he'll could they not know KG wasn't the leader of that Celtic team??? They were totally oblivious to his roles. Duncan didn't get two rebound titles because of Garnett. She doesn't mention that Garnett has more rebound titles than all the guys she mentioned added up together. She didn't mention his PER Title either. His defensive player of the year. Or his being the best all around player in that position either.

They had huge over sights with Oscar Robertson as well. They go too hard in hyping one and downing the other.