PDA

View Full Version : Why the Hawks won't get too far in the playoffs.

Haymaker
03-21-2015, 09:04 AM
As good as their system is, their ball movement, 3 pt shooting, defense, etc. they lack a superstar, someone who can take over a game. Last night showed it. They couldn't keep up with OKC's firepower and they had no huge weapon to fire back with.

2nd round exit. Still an exciting team though.

T_L_P
03-21-2015, 09:12 AM
The East is just so weak. I don't consider them a serious title contender yet they could go as far as the ECF.

Outside of the Hawks and Cavs, there isn't a single team in that conference that would make the Playoffs out West.

If the season ended today they'd be playing a Boston team that is on track to win 36 games; then they'd face either the Wizards or Raptors, the former being a 6-8 team since the All-Star break and the latter being the most embarrassing team in the league.

Im Still Ballin
03-21-2015, 09:25 AM
So many posters will be furious when Lebron makes the finals for a 5th time in a row

retaxis
03-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Some you win and some you lose. Hawks play like Spurs except Horford and Millsap are both greater threats than both Duncan or Splitter

Haymaker
03-21-2015, 10:00 AM
Some you win and some you lose. Hawks play like Spurs except Horford and Millsap are both greater threats than both Duncan or Splitter

No.

hawks4life
03-21-2015, 10:02 AM
No.

Than splitter? Absolutely. I'd still take Duncan if I needed a bucket though.

Alamо
03-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Playing like them doesn't mean they'll have the same success as them.

Alamо
03-21-2015, 10:08 AM
Than splitter? Absolutely. I'd still take Duncan if I needed a bucket though.

Defensively, I'd take Splitter over any player on the Hawks roster. Defense and offensive glass eating was a huge part of the Spurs success in the playoffs last season.

Haymaker
03-21-2015, 10:09 AM
Playing like them doesn't mean they'll have the same success as them.

Exactly.

jayfan
03-21-2015, 10:35 AM
As good as their system is, their ball movement, 3 pt shooting, defense, etc. they lack a superstar, someone who can take over a game. Last night showed it. They couldn't keep up with OKC's firepower and they had no huge weapon to fire back with.

04' Pistons? :confusedshrug:

Also, the Hawks were missing 3 players last night.

retaxis
03-21-2015, 10:39 AM
Regardless what is far? I know Hawks will likely make it to the ECF and i call that Far considering they were first round knock outs last year. That is a significant leap for one year. Hawks system is proven. We are not talking about an unproven system we are talking about a proven system which has worked successfully in multiple years of 04,08 and 14. People often forget 08 had celtics players all sharing the ball to score and win the game there was no option at the end of games it was ball movement and trust.

P.S second round exit against the -.500 since ASB wizards or Raptors? Come on now don't be sensationalists.

Haymaker
03-21-2015, 10:53 AM

Also, the Hawks were missing 3 players last night.

#1 '04 pistons had better players than the Hawks. Billups, Sheed, Wallace were better than Teague, Millsap, Horford.

#2 Ibaka, Durant, Kanter?

atljonesbro
03-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Why do regular season games for the Hawks only seem to matter when they lose? When they win I always hear the sMe narrative "lol regular season doesn't matter playoffs ONLY!" Then when they lose "lol hawks suk 1st round exit". It's pretty obvious the Hawks are coasting right now considering they locked up the 1st seed. Just trying to get everyone healthy and stay healthy

imdaman99
03-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Exactly. They are the Spurs-lite except that when it comes down to it, Duncan, Ginobli or Parker and now Kawhi can take and make the big shots or stop a big run by the other team. I thought Teague was gonna be that guy but something is missing with him. They were missing Korver, he makes 50% of his 3s so you can say if they don't have Korver they will get exposed.

They are a fun and exciting team though, will root for them in the East playoffs.

funnystuff
03-21-2015, 12:05 PM

I disagree with this.

hawks4life
03-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Defensively, I'd take Splitter over any player on the Hawks roster. Defense and offensive glass eating was a huge part of the Spurs success in the playoffs last season.

so you are saying his defense and offense is game changing? If the hawks call up the spurs and offer horford for splitter the spurs say no? I doubt that.

VIP2000
03-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Lol, who's gonna take them out in the second round?

I can see the Bulls giving them a good series, but the Hawks would still have to be the favorites (same goes for Toronto or Washington).

VIP2000
03-21-2015, 12:29 PM
#1 '04 pistons had better players than the Hawks. Billups, Sheed, Wallace were better than Teague, Millsap, Horford.

#2 Ibaka, Durant, Kanter?

OKC is a far deeper team when healthy. They have bench players that would start on most other teams (and in the case of Augustin and Waiters, they were starting on other teams).

Whereas the Hawks only significant bench player is Schroeder.

T_L_P
03-21-2015, 12:42 PM
P.S second round exit against the -.500 since ASB wizards or Raptors? Come on now don't be sensationalists.

Yep, that's what I said. They've got like a 90% chance of making the ECF, but I personally don't consider them real title contenders. Similar to the 2013 Grizzlies (though they obviously had less expectation than this year's Hawks).

Hotlantadude81
03-21-2015, 10:19 PM

If a tough defensive team limits their ball movement and forces them to become a one on one team and they got a lead on them... The Hawks will crumble like they did last night.

Big Cheese
03-21-2015, 10:24 PM
we had control of the game, it was our shit defense that failed us

qrich
03-21-2015, 10:25 PM

Billups was pretty good at hitting "Big Shots", wouldn't you say?

Plus, Larry Brown >>

Genaro
03-21-2015, 10:35 PM
The good and old ISH's overreaction.
I think Hawks don't care to regular season anymore, they proved they can dominate it so now they're just giving 80% of effort.
IMO their ceiling is the title but they'll fall in the ECF, not because they don't have a closer but because Cavs is too much better than the Hawks so I don't see them beating it 4 times.

Cocaine80s
03-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Inb4 Hawks beat Spurs in the finals

fsvr54
03-21-2015, 10:44 PM
Teague is coasting, worried about injuries and not driving hard. Will go HAM in the playoffs.

sportjames23
03-21-2015, 10:44 PM
we had control of the game, it was our shit defense that failed us

Then...you didn't have control of the game.

Alamо
03-22-2015, 05:15 PM
so you are saying his defense and offense is game changing? If the hawks call up the spurs and offer horford for splitter the spurs say no? I doubt that.

Can you read?