PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Miller still has the sweetest shot you'll ever see

Dro
03-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Article Reggie Miller still has the sweetest shot you'll ever see

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/reggie-miller-still-has-the-sweetest-shot-you-ll-ever-see-011947709.html

Full video https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=836747616418727

Reggie Miller retired in 2005 ... wait, can that be right? Huh. Guess so.

Anyway, Miller has been out of the NBA for nearly a decade, but he still has the ungodly smooth shooting stroke that netted more than 25,000 points and bedeviled the New York Knicks, among so many others.

Miller is now a commentator on Turner's networks for the NCAA tournament, and while killing time waiting for his next round of games to begin, Miller grabbed a ball and began shooting. His broadcast partner Rachel Nichols caught the impromptu shooting exhibition in action, and posted the video above to Instagram.

It's worth noting that the clip was only 15 seconds. You need to watch the full video to get a sense of Miller's still-sharp skills. He drains half a dozen shots without even grazing the rim. And in an era where "offense" is a NSFW word for all too many college programs, man, it sure would be good to see someone who could shoot like that again.

IncarceratedBob
03-21-2015, 01:57 PM
I'll take Steph

Im Still Ballin
03-21-2015, 01:59 PM
Steve Nash is still the best shooter of all time

Curry fans are delusional

rhowen4
03-21-2015, 02:05 PM

Agreed. Can you make a Nash mix and use GOATelback for the music? Would like and subscribe.

AirFederer
03-21-2015, 02:07 PM
That's a stroke a man can enjoy

Dro
03-21-2015, 02:09 PM
I'll take Steph
One of them takes the shot that'll save your life..you still taking Steph? Not saying I wouldn't..Just asking......

Dro
03-21-2015, 02:09 PM
That's a stroke a man can enjoy
:lol

24-Inch_Chrome
03-21-2015, 02:13 PM
In no particular order, Steve Nash, Ray Allen, Stephen Curry, Reggie Miller, Larry Bird, top-5 all-time shooters.

I'm taking Nash as #1 personally but Reggie was an amazing shooter.

pauk
03-21-2015, 02:17 PM
I'll take Steph

:roll:

Pushxx
03-21-2015, 02:17 PM
To save my life: Larry Bird then Ray Allen.

pauk
03-21-2015, 02:22 PM
GOAT shooter right there, watch n learn.

warriorfan
03-21-2015, 02:24 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Alpha Male Curry in your head, 24/7, rent free :oldlol:

ralph_i_el
03-21-2015, 02:25 PM
I'm peanut butter and jealous.

Dro
03-21-2015, 02:26 PM
Steph's gonna have to make some big shots before I take him over a couple of the other guys,which I'm sure he's capable of...Just need to see it....

SHAQisGOAT
03-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Top5 (overall) GOAT shooters, imo, are: Bird, Ray, Curry, Nash and Reggie...
Although players like Dirk or West also got something to say about that.

Sweetest strokes? Curry, Dale Ellis, Pistol Pete, Mullin, West, Allen, Bird, McAdoo, Reggie, Durant, Jordan...

the mesiah
03-21-2015, 03:07 PM
As far as looks go I'll take Shuttlesworth ,
In the clutch I'll take robert horry ..

Dro
03-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Sure Ill take Horry if someone is creating the shot for him.......

T_L_P
03-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Is that Reggie Miller, or Adam Silver? :biggums:

Dro
03-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Is that Reggie Miller, or Adam Silver? :biggums:

Reggie's always been a dork...and an a-hole off the court as well afaik......

the mesiah
03-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Sure Ill take Horry if someone is creating the shot for him.......
As long as they go in when clutch time arrives..that's all that counts for me

pauk
03-21-2015, 03:24 PM

I always liked Reggie's better, Ray's is more explosive/athletic, even though its textbook its way to quick for my taste and the shot/arc is flat, everything is just bam bam... Reggie's shot has more arc and his stroke is more detailed as he takes his time with the follow through and then leaves it up there a bit longer, you can see how/why everything works so well... Its like eating a pizza fast or slow... i like it more slowly, i want to saviour & enjoy every bit... :)

inclinerator
03-21-2015, 03:27 PM
I always liked Reggie's better, Ray's is more explosive/athletic, even though its textbook its way to quick for my taste and the shot/arc is flat, everything is just bam bam... Reggie's shot has more arc and his stroke is more detailed as he takes his time with the follow through and then leaves it up there a bit longer, you can see how/why everything works so well... Its like eating a pizza fast or slow... i like it more slowly, i want to saviour & enjoy every bit... :)
like leebran's cawk?

pauk
03-21-2015, 03:31 PM
like leebran's cawk?

As good as he plays, hell yes, exactly that.

Hey Yo
03-21-2015, 03:31 PM
So it's a surprise that a great shooter like Reggie can make uncontested shots at age 49???

LoneyROY7
03-21-2015, 03:33 PM
As good as he plays, hell yes, exactly that.

Deep throat that sh*t, pauk. Make him c*m, pauk. Make him c*m.

UK2K
03-21-2015, 03:34 PM
Ray Allen had the prettiest stroke ever.

pauk
03-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Reggie is one of those guys (maybe the only guy today) who you could put in the NBA at that age and he would still be effective, its not just the shooting but Reggie still is running and he had maybe the best cardio ever.

inclinerator
03-21-2015, 03:40 PM
maybe his release, but that line drive shot is ugly

Dro
03-21-2015, 03:41 PM
So it's a surprise that a great shooter like Reggie can make uncontested shots at age 49???
Yes to the children of ish. This is the same forum where Wilt would be no better than Ben Wallace today and Jerry West would be JJ Reddick...

We need proof of everything these days...

T_L_P
03-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Yes to the children of ish. This is the same forum where Wilt would be no better than Ben Wallace today and Jerry West would be JJ Reddick...

We need proof of everything these days...

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/whoa.png

Can't refute the West comparison, but you're not giving Big Ben his credit here.

pauk
03-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Deep throat that sh*t, pauk. Make him c*m, pauk. Make him c*m.

:no: That is reserved only for Reggie in the 4th quarter in the playoffs.

Dro
03-21-2015, 03:58 PM
http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/whoa.png

Can't refute the West comparison, but you're not giving Big Ben his credit here.

Achilleas
03-21-2015, 04:34 PM
best european shooters peja , drazen and dirk :applause:

jstern
03-21-2015, 07:39 PM

This comment reminded me of 75 year old Jerry West in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buYB75cMehY

He hadn't shot a ball in years.

ILLsmak
03-21-2015, 08:00 PM

this is my favorite shit, I think. Super underrated.

Edit: oops. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXGRNGWNk0I

-Smak

hahaitme
03-21-2015, 08:01 PM
To save my life: Larry Bird then Ray Allen.

Bird: you dont deserve to live ya *****

*proceeds to airball on purpose then walks away with his 2 middle fingers in the air*

fourkicks44
03-22-2015, 01:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9995mivGaD8

Smoke117
03-22-2015, 01:55 AM
How can you still have something you never had to begin with?

theaussieguy
03-22-2015, 02:47 AM
Steph's gonna have to make some big shots before I take him over a couple of the other guys,which I'm sure he's capable of...Just need to see it....

thats just silly, you realize every shot u take there is a chance it wont go in? These guys are great shooters so when they don't make bigtime shots it just comes down to that bugger of a thing called chance. You can't put some guys over another guy just because they got lucky. Shooting percentage taking into consideration the type of shots one takes is the only true measure.

jstern
03-22-2015, 04:03 AM
thats just silly, you realize every shot u take there is a chance it wont go in? These guys are great shooters so when they don't make bigtime shots it just comes down to that bugger of a thing called chance. You can't put some guys over another guy just because they got lucky. Shooting percentage taking into consideration the type of shots one takes is the only true measure.

So you don't believe in clutchness?

John Tesh
03-22-2015, 04:53 AM
Ray Allen's form was GOAT.

Paul George 24
03-22-2015, 04:58 AM

no....it's allan hoston

Paul George 24
03-22-2015, 04:59 AM
Ray Allen's form was GOAT.

ray gun's form is ugly

pauk
03-22-2015, 05:16 AM

Reggie has maybe hit the most gamewinning jumpshots in NBA history.... there is a fine line between luck and skill + killer instinct.

Paul George 24
03-22-2015, 05:35 AM

WHAT DID CURRY PROVE IN PLYOFFS GAME ????:facepalm

theaussieguy
03-22-2015, 06:33 AM
I believe in clutchness, its just not a measure of being a GOAT shooter, that should entirely come down to statistics in consideration of the type of shots being taken.

steph is clearly already one of the greatest shooters of all time, nothing will ever change this.

PistonsFan#21
03-22-2015, 08:05 AM
GOAT shooter right there, watch n learn.

Based on what? :confusedshrug:

Curry shoots a better FT% and a better 3pt% as well. Actually Curry's 3pt% average for his career is higher than Miller's best 3pt% for a season.

And thats without taking in consideration that Curry mostly creates his own shots as opposed to Miller who was known for coming off screens and curls. Oh and he also shoots a greater volume and makes tougher shots on a regular basis also.

Curry already broke the record for most 3s made in a season and is well on his way to break the most 3s made for a career baring any major injuries.

Miller's only argument is that he was more clutch in the playoffs only so far. But Curry this year is favorite for MVP candidate (something Miller never was), playing in one of the most stacked division of all time, and leading his team to #1 seed.

theaussieguy
03-22-2015, 08:46 AM

Curry shoots a better FT% and a better 3pt% as well. Actually Curry's 3pt% average for his career is higher than Miller's best 3pt% for a season.

And thats without taking in consideration that Curry mostly creates his own shots as opposed to Miller who was known for coming off screens and curls. Oh and he also shoots a greater volume and makes tougher shots on a regular basis also.

Curry already broke the record for most 3s made in a season and is well on his way to break the most 3s made for a career baring any major injuries.

Miller's only argument is that he was more clutch in the playoffs only so far. But Curry this year is favorite for MVP candidate (something Miller never was), playing in one of the most stacked division of all time, and leading his team to #1 seed.

exactly, these people blinded by the bright lights man, they aint in reality, dese nikkas aint in the gym day in day out, they aint gridin through da pain, they aint fightin for each breath, they aint ready to face their demons, you and me, we in dis sh!t, we fight for da troof, we live and breath the quest for da troof.

Dro
03-22-2015, 10:26 AM

Steph plays in a different era, an era where 3 pointers are shot at a much higher rate..Everybody already knows this....He also plays in a more wide open, free flowing offense where he gets a lot of 3's in transition...Anybody who ever saw Reggie play knows that if he ever got a 3 in transition, he was damn near money......

How is the playoff argument not that good of an argument? Its the playoffs, you know the big stage, where the pressure is much greater than your average regular season game where teams aren't even playing defense until the 4th quarter...

Ill give you that Steph creates more of his shots but lets not act like all of Reggie's shots were off screens and curls. Thats just not true. He shot pull up 3's, and 3's off the dribble also.

Guarantee you Reggie shoots even a higher percentage and takes even more 3's if he played today, especially if he played in an offense like GS.

So Steph's volume is impressive but its not enough for me to put him over Reggie because Reggie played in a different, slower offense built around going inside out.
Reggie avg. 4.7 3pa per game for his career compared to Steph's 6.4.
We have to keep context. Also, I can't think of one great defender that Steph consistently has to go against. Thats not his fault but it is what is..However, it is pretty ridiculous for Steph to shoot the percentage that he does on that many attempts..

For the record, I think even I called Steph the greatest shooter ever this year. But still if you ask me to pick one guy for a shot, or if I need pressure 3 point shots, I'm taking a couple guys over Steph. Steph has only played 19 playoff games to be fair, shooting 39% which is pretty damn good. Just not enough of a sample size...Reggie also shoots 39% 144 playoff games...

jzek
03-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Bird was such a great shooter, he once scored 30+ using his left hand! :bowdown:

SHAQisGOAT
03-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Funny that how to some people, shooting is STRICTLY about 3pt shooting...

Bird was such a great shooter, he once scored 30+ using his left hand! :bowdown:

20 with his left hand actually, while he scored 47 for the game...

PistonsFan#21
03-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Steph plays in a different era, an era where 3 pointers are shot at a much higher rate..Everybody already knows this....He also plays in a more wide open, free flowing offense where he gets a lot of 3's in transition...Anybody who ever saw Reggie play knows that if he ever got a 3 in transition, he was damn near money......

How is the playoff argument not that good of an argument? Its the playoffs, you know the big stage, where the pressure is much greater than your average regular season game where teams aren't even playing defense until the 4th quarter...

Ill give you that Steph creates more of his shots but lets not act like all of Reggie's shots were off screens and curls. Thats just not true. He shot pull up 3's, and 3's off the dribble also.

Guarantee you Reggie shoots even a higher percentage and takes even more 3's if he played today, especially if he played in an offense like GS.

So Steph's volume is impressive but its not enough for me to put him over Reggie because Reggie played in a different, slower offense built around going inside out.
Reggie avg. 4.7 3pa per game for his career compared to Steph's 6.4.
We have to keep context. Also, I can't think of one great defender that Steph consistently has to go against. Thats not his fault but it is what is..However, it is pretty ridiculous for Steph to shoot the percentage that he does on that many attempts..

For the record, I think even I called Steph the greatest shooter ever this year. But still if you ask me to pick one guy for a shot, or if I need pressure 3 point shots, I'm taking a couple guys over Steph. Steph has only played 19 playoff games to be fair, shooting 39% which is pretty damn good. Just not enough of a sample size...Reggie also shoots 39% 144 playoff games...

When did i say its not that good of an argument? I clearly stated that i think its the only argument he has.

What does Reggie do as a shooter that Steph can't? I got the stats to back up my argument and thats the most unbiased way to compare 2 shooters.

And again i didnt say all of Reggie's shots were coming off curls but a great amount of them did. He and Rip Hamilton were praised for their off ball movement for a reason.

Reggie shooting a higher % today is not a guarantee either. He was already getting more open looks than Curry because he didnt had to create his shot as much and the degree of difficulty of Curry's shots is greater on average

ralph_i_el
03-22-2015, 11:59 AM

I don't think he actually shot left handed jumpers in that game though. I think he just went left on layups and post moves. Still impressive.