PDA

View Full Version : History tells us "don't expect the Warriors to win the NBA Finals"

sportsfan76
03-21-2015, 02:26 PM
If you go all the way back to 1980, not one of those teams who won the NBA Finals was heavily reliant on scoring from shooting 3 pointers. They all had other ways of scoring besides pulling up for the 3 pointer or the fast break. I mean we all can agree that they are fun to watch but is their style of play really going to lead to them winning a NBA championship? Most of their points come from shooting the 3 pointer or fast break which was not the style of any of the teams who won the title the last 15 years

2000 to 2002.......LAKERS
2003....SPURS
2004....PISTONS
2005.....SPURS
2006......HEAT
2007.....SPURS
2008.....CELTICS
2009.....LAKERS
2010.....LAKERS
2011......MAVS
2012.....HEAT
2013....HEAT
2014.....SPURS

They kind of remind me of a NBA version of the Colts from 2000 to 2010, kick a$$ during the regular season but easy to game plan for in the playoffs. So all that razzle and dazzle sh*t is coming to an end at some point because those types of teams don't win titles based on history.

Im Still Ballin
03-21-2015, 02:27 PM
:facepalm

J Shuttlesworth
03-21-2015, 02:28 PM
We get it. You've never seen a Warriors game

warriorfan
03-21-2015, 02:29 PM
If you go all the way back to 1980, not one of those teams who won the NBA Finals was heavily reliant on scoring from shooting 3 pointers. They all had other ways of scoring besides pulling up for the 3 pointer or the fast break. I mean we all can agree that they are fun to watch but is their style of play really going to lead to them winning a NBA championship? Most of their points come from shooting the 3 pointer or fast break which was not the style of any of the teams who won the title the last 15 years

2000 to 2002.......LAKERS
2003....SPURS
2004....PISTONS
2005.....SPURS
2006......HEAT
2007.....SPURS
2008.....CELTICS
2009.....LAKERS
2010.....LAKERS
2011......MAVS
2012.....HEAT
2013....HEAT
2014.....SPURS

They kind of remind me of a NBA version of the Colts from 2000 to 2010, kick a$$ during the regular season but easy to game plan for in the playoffs. So all that razzle and dazzle sh*t is coming to an end at some point because those types of teams don't win titles based on history.

Those teams didnt have the GOAT shooting backcourt.

Heavincent
03-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Teams that play defense like the Warriors and at least have a good offense usually win the title. In the Warriors case, they just happen to have THE best offense too.

I don't think people understand how great their defense is. It's not just good, it's literally one of the best defenses in recent memory.

#1 in defensive rating (easily)
#1 in OPP FG%
#1 in blocks
#3 in steals

Also, they have outscored opponents by +15.3 points at home, largest home point differential since the 96 Bulls (+17.1).

Good luck beating these guys 4 times out of 7.

ralph_i_el
03-21-2015, 02:59 PM
The last 4 championships were won by teams that were in the top 3rd of teams in 3 point attempts. Spurs and Heat shot a lot of 3's.

Also, defense. Duh

It's a shame OP typed out that long post just to look like a dummy.

joe
03-21-2015, 03:41 PM
and their team color looks like pee :/

sportsfan76
03-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Those teams didnt have the GOAT shooting backcourt.

Yes they had that and pts from the inside which is my point

sportsfan76
03-21-2015, 03:47 PM
The last 4 championships were won by teams that were in the top 3rd of teams in 3 point attempts. Spurs and Heat shot a lot of 3's.

Also, defense. Duh

It's a shame OP typed out that long post just to look like a dummy.

Spurs and Heat both has LOW POST scoring to balance out the 3 point shooting.

ArbitraryWater
03-21-2015, 03:52 PM
History tells us when one makes retarded trolling threads, he prefers to post those on his alts.

tpols
03-21-2015, 03:54 PM

Huh? who ?

SpecialQue
03-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Crazy how someone calling themselves "sportsfan" knows jack shit about the sport he's posting about.

AnaheimLakers24
03-21-2015, 03:55 PM
You really think a light skin midget will win a ring fir this team? Lol they need klay to be the 1st option. Not skme pedophile

T_L_P
03-21-2015, 03:57 PM
I agree. Charles Barkley summed it up perfectly when he said you can't win the title as a jumpshooting team. whitetext

Inferno
03-21-2015, 03:59 PM
ok

RidonKs
03-21-2015, 04:01 PM
if anybody is going to beat the warriors, its the grizzlies. if anybody is going to beat the grizzlies, its the clippers. if anybody is going to beat the clippers, its the spurs. if anybody is going to beat the spurs, its the rockets. if anybody is going to beat the rockets, its the warriors.

(rockets only if dwight returns and doesnt post up very much)

ralph_i_el
03-21-2015, 04:15 PM

Warriors score plenty inside. They don't have 1 stud post scorer, but they have multiple competent post up threats who can make plays from the block.

ralph_i_el
03-21-2015, 04:17 PM
I agree. Charles Barkley summed it up perfectly when he said you can't win the title as a jumpshooting team. whitetext
Well Chuck would know all about not winning championships

sportsfan76
03-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Huh? who ?

you never heard of Duncan and Bosh?????????????????

tpols
03-21-2015, 04:52 PM
you never heard of Duncan and Bosh?????????????????

one was a spot up shooter and the other one fks dudes:biggums:

wait.. those were both bosh. Duncan was designated pick setter and garbage man hopping on thr back of the spurs all time great shooting passing ..

T_L_P
03-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Duncan was designated pick setter and garbage man hopping on thr back of the spurs all time great shooting passing ..

beastee
03-21-2015, 05:03 PM
OKC with a healthy Durant was the only team I think was a true threat to the Warriors. With that being over...who really can beat them at this point?

Maybe the spurs. Maybe. Warriors 2nd round looks like probably the clippers or Blazers...sorry, neither of them are doing it. I know anything can happen, but unless Memphis or SA just go nuts I really can't see anyone topping them with their home court dominance.

tpols
03-21-2015, 05:06 PM

So duncan = andrew bogut??

Either way ops talking offense.. heat and spurs won with their shooting no low post.

rhowen4
03-21-2015, 05:32 PM
I think the NBA as we know it might change if the Warriors do win the title

sportsfan76
03-21-2015, 05:43 PM
Warriors are no different from the Suns of 2005 and Mavs of 2007

RUN AND GUN

J Shuttlesworth
03-21-2015, 05:45 PM
Well Chuck would know all about not winning championships
http://i.imgur.com/4JD5C5z.gif

JimmyMcAdocious
03-21-2015, 05:58 PM
28.6 was the leader last season with Atlanta. GS was second at 28.3 (tied with LA). So let's anything over 28 is too high since I presume GS shot too many 3s last season as well. The last few teams have been around 25-26 points per game from 3, fwiw. Following that pattern, these teams are too reliant from 3 and therefore aren't contenders:

Houston - 34.5
GS - 31.9
Portland - 30.1
LAC - 30.0
ATL - 29.9
Cleveland - 29.4

StephHamann
03-21-2015, 06:00 PM
28.6 was the leader last season with Atlanta. GS was second at 28.3 (tied with LA). So let's anything over 28 is too high since I presume GS shot too many 3s last season as well. The last few teams have been around 25-26 points per game from 3, fwiw. Following that pattern, these teams are too reliant from 3 and therefore aren't contenders:

Houston - 34.5
GS - 31.9
Portland - 30.1
LAC - 30.0
ATL - 29.9
Cleveland - 29.4

:applause:

Heavincent
03-22-2015, 02:53 AM
Warriors are no different from the Suns of 2005 and Mavs of 2007

RUN AND GUN

Were those teams ELITE defensive squads like the Warriors are?

#1 in OPP FG%
#1 in blocks
#3 in steals

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/kendall-marshall-harrison-barnes.gif

All Net
03-22-2015, 02:57 AM
Were those teams ELITE defensive squads like the Warriors are?

#1 in OPP FG%
#1 in blocks
#3 in steals

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/kendall-marshall-harrison-barnes.gif

Ignore him

He's out for the playoffs..torn ACL brain

Sarcastic
03-22-2015, 03:05 AM
ITT: playoff basketball is different than regular season basketball.

With that said, if they make the WCF, they will have a really good chance to win the following season.

Heavincent
03-22-2015, 03:07 AM
ITT: playoff basketball is different than regular season basketball.

Yeah, elite defense usually doesn't carry over to the playoffs.

warriorfan
03-22-2015, 03:09 AM
It's nice to know that you guys got warriors on your mind more than I do. :oldlol:

poido123
03-22-2015, 03:12 AM
You're talking about a pretty special team right here...

I don't see Curry or Thompson shrinking under pressure. This team is so balanced and solid from top to bottom. Offense and defense.

At this point, they are clearly a cut above the competition right now.

Clear favourites for mine.

J Shuttlesworth
03-22-2015, 03:24 AM
You know it's interesting... I torrented the 2012 Heat/Thunder finals because I didn't get to see a couple of the games when it happened. I've been watching it lately and one of the things I noticed about it relates directly to the OP's post.

The difference between Game 1 Heat and games 2-5 Heat is the low post scoring. Game 2 specifically, I don't think I saw LeBron settle for a contested jumper once. He was either in the low post taking Thabo/KD or creating off the dribble at the top of the key. Wade also took advantage of the post too creating a lot off back to the basket against Westbrook.

The Warriors will be similar to the Thunder where they will get a lot of fast break points and jumpers. The Thunder essentially had nobody reliable for low post scoring besides Westbrook, and he would hardly go down there anyway.

However, the Warriors defense is more elite than the Thunders is/was. And when we're talking about relying on jumpers... well we're talking about the best shooting back court of all time, and we all know Curry can create open looks. The Warriors have some great cutters so they can still get inside scoring without depending on fast breaks. I think they are poised to win the chip. The biggest obstacle would be overcoming Memphis who plays at the opposite tempo the Warriors want to play. They will get beat up by Randolph/Gasol. Klay/Curry will be somewhat neutralized by Conley/Allen. Would be a hell of a match up and would go either way. I think if they get to the finals, they will win. Who the hell can win 4 games at Oracle?

dubeta
03-22-2015, 03:26 AM
No excuses.

Cocaine80s
03-22-2015, 03:30 AM
You're talking about a pretty special team right here...

I don't see Curry or Thompson shrinking under pressure. This team is so balanced and solid from top to bottom. Offense and defense.

At this point, they are clearly a cut above the competition right now.

Clear favourites for mine.
I think Bulls have a solid chance this year

J Shuttlesworth
03-22-2015, 03:32 AM
I think Bulls have a solid chance this year
If they were to make it out the East, there's no way they could beat the Warriors.

Cocaine80s
03-22-2015, 03:34 AM
If they were to make it out the East, there's no way they could beat the Warriors.
i know lol i was just trolling pedo

Heavincent
03-22-2015, 03:39 AM
You know it's interesting... I torrented the 2012 Heat/Thunder finals because I didn't get to see a couple of the games when it happened. I've been watching it lately and one of the things I noticed about it relates directly to the OP's post.

The difference between Game 1 Heat and games 2-5 Heat is the low post scoring. Game 2 specifically, I don't think I saw LeBron settle for a contested jumper once. He was either in the low post taking Thabo/KD or creating off the dribble at the top of the key. Wade also took advantage of the post too creating a lot off back to the basket against Westbrook.

The Warriors will be similar to the Thunder where they will get a lot of fast break points and jumpers. The Thunder essentially had nobody reliable for low post scoring besides Westbrook, and he would hardly go down there anyway.

However, the Warriors defense is more elite than the Thunders is/was. And when we're talking about relying on jumpers... well we're talking about the best shooting back court of all time, and we all know Curry can create open looks. The Warriors have some great cutters so they can still get inside scoring without depending on fast breaks. I think they are poised to win the chip. The biggest obstacle would be overcoming Memphis who plays at the opposite tempo the Warriors want to play. They will get beat up by Randolph/Gasol. Klay/Curry will be somewhat neutralized by Conley/Allen. Would be a hell of a match up and would go either way. I think if they get to the finals, they will win. Who the hell can win 4 games at Oracle?

The difference is OKC took bad jump shots as a result of stagnant iso ball (last in assists if I remember correctly). They were too reliant on their stars making tough shots. The Warriors don't play anything like that. They're the exact opposite as a matter of fact.

1987_Lakers
03-22-2015, 03:49 AM
The thing that people refuse to understand is that the NBA has changed. In the 80's nobody shot the 3 ball. In the 90's it was used more, but a team's philosophy was to win inside. Teams nowadays attempt more 3s and they are more efficient with that shot. At the end of the day talent and chemistry is what wins titles and Golden State has a great mix of that.

warriorfan
03-22-2015, 03:51 AM
Playoff basketball is a totally different animal.. I can see teams attacking Steph Curry and getting a little grimey with him. Some of their important players are soft as hell - Bogut and their best player in Curry. We'll just have to wait and see.. but I too don't see them making the finals.

Also.. Curry still has a lot of proving to do. Can he step up when it matters most..Or can he only excel in a free-flowing style with no resistance?

Double team Curry and either Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes, or Draymond Green is gonna get an open look. Pick your poison.

J Shuttlesworth
03-22-2015, 03:53 AM
The difference is OKC took bad jump shots as a result of stagnant iso ball (last in assists if I remember correctly). They were too reliant on their stars making tough shots. The Warriors don't play anything like that. They're the exact opposite as a matter of fact.
This is true. OKC didn't create a lot of open jump shots aside from on fast breaks. The Warriors and OKC are similar in tempo, and the fact that they shoot a lot of jumpers, but they create their offense completely differently. They don't have a PG like Curry who is a true play creator (actually Harden would create plays well but he was off the bench). The Warriors are a notch above 12 OKC offensively and defensively. they stuck around game 1/2 because they had superstars who could take over a game. I think the Warriors game should translate better in the playoffs than OKC's did, which is good news since that would mean a potential chip for Curry :applause:

John Tesh
03-22-2015, 04:33 AM
That's nice.

ralph_i_el
03-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Playoff basketball is a totally different animal.. I can see teams attacking Steph Curry and getting a little grimey with him. Some of their important players are soft as hell - Bogut and their best player in Curry. We'll just have to wait and see.. but I too don't see them making the finals.

Also.. Curry still has a lot of proving to do. Can he step up when it matters most..Or can he only excel in a free-flowing style with no resistance?

Bogut is soft?:roll:

DMAVS41
03-22-2015, 04:43 PM
Teams that play defense like the Warriors and at least have a good offense usually win the title. In the Warriors case, they just happen to have THE best offense too.

I don't think people understand how great their defense is. It's not just good, it's literally one of the best defenses in recent memory.

#1 in OPP FG%
#1 in blocks
#3 in steals

Also, they have outscored opponents by +15.3 points at home, largest home point differential since the 96 Bulls (+17.1).

Good luck beating these guys 4 times out of 7.

This.

I don't think people realize just how big of favorites the Warriors are at this point to win the title.

Anything can happen of course, but they are absolutely huge favorites to win the West and destroy the East in the finals.

Now, if they had to beat a healthy Thunder and Spurs team...then they wouldn't be such massive favorites because those teams could really give them a run for their money if they were right...

But that doesn't look likely at this point. The Thunder won't be right...and while the Spurs are looking great, the Warriors would still be massive favorites with home court.

Boiled down:

Bet a good amount right now and during the playoffs on the Warriors to win it all. Not the lock of the century, but the odds are damn good for a team this good. The Cavs make it a really good bet actually...those Cavs are getting a bit too much credit from the odds makers in my opinion.

No_Look604
03-22-2015, 05:02 PM
Yeah and history also told us a bbish as.s. fundamentally-flawed mental midget punk like Lebron could never win a championship but he colluded and conspired to prove otherwise.