PDA

View Full Version : Scoring in college ball is the lowest since the 50's

Heavincent
03-22-2015, 01:27 AM
Jim Barnett mentioned this during the Warriors broadcast tonight...pretty ridiculous. Does shit like that make you fear for the future of the NBA? Clearly, something is wrong with college basketball. Watch a game and you'll see.

christian1923
03-22-2015, 01:35 AM
Jim Barnett mentioned this during the Warriors broadcast tonight...pretty ridiculous. Does shit like that make you fear for the future of the NBA? Clearly, something is wrong with college basketball. Watch a game and you'll see.
What's wrong? The tournament has been great as always.

Dave3
03-22-2015, 01:38 AM
I think the decreased scoring is college specific. Not going off much data, but looking at 2 previous big names in the last few years (Anthony Davis and Andrew Wiggins) their scoring in their rookie years were identical to their scoring in their college year. AD increased his scoring every year in the NBA, and now he's at 25 ppg despite only putting up like 14 in college. I'm sure someone who does some real research can find enough proof, or disprove this notion, but I'm working off the top of my head.

Eric Cartman
03-22-2015, 01:43 AM
Is it because the court is smaller? College game isn't as free flowing as the pros, they have to pass the ball ALOT, and for 35 seconds at a time.

Makes the game alot more boring tbh.

JimmyMcAdocious
03-22-2015, 01:43 AM
It's the physicality allowed in college basketball. There was a great article about it on SI (I think) a couple weeks ago. I think KenPom had a better article on it a few years ago.

College basketball fans have been complaining about what's allowed significantly more over the last 5-ish years. There's seriously some football tackles and shit going on.

Heavincent
03-22-2015, 01:44 AM
It's the physicality allowed in college basketball. There was a great article about it on SI (I think) a couple weeks ago.

College basketball fans have been complaining about what's allowed significantly more over the last 5-ish years.

That's weird because it's a FT shooting contest every time I turn on a college game.

Sarcastic
03-22-2015, 01:48 AM
FCK the NCAA. The top 30 programs need to break away and become official minor league for NBA and NFL. It's a joke that prominent sports leagues still rely on amateurs for talent.

JimmyMcAdocious
03-22-2015, 01:48 AM
That's weird because it's a FT shooting contest every time I turn on a college game.

It can certainly become that way. Coach K's lasting impression on the game of basketball will be is foul 200 times, get called for 20 fouls strategy. Severals coaches have adopted that style (Brad Stevens back at Butler, as an example) and it's really drags the game down.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briangoff/2015/03/11/reducing-michigan-state-and-dukes-physical-play-follow-the-nhls-lead/

Anyway, this is the article I was thinking of...

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/02/26/hoop-thoughts-college-basketball-scoring-pace

Good points on how to fix college basketball. Don't agree with all but something needs to change.

The more things change, the more they ... get worse. College basketball is slower, more grinding, more physical and more, well, offensive than it has been in a long, long time. The 2014-15 season is shaping up to be the worst offensive season in modern history. Through Feb. 22, teams were averaging 67.1 points per game. That is the lowest average since 1952. ... Thanks to lax enforcement by officials and a foolish decision to reverse the block/charge modification, scoring declined by 3.79 points per game. That is the steepest single-season drop on record.

christian1923
03-22-2015, 01:53 AM
Crazy how people complain about the NBA being soft but can't enjoy a tough physical basketball league.

All they need to change is the shot clock to 24 seconds.

Shouldnt try and make it into the NBA game where it's just high pick n roll's that are unstoppable if you have the right personal.

IGOTGAME
03-22-2015, 01:59 AM
Crazy how people complain about the NBA being soft but can't enjoy a tough physical basketball league.

All they need to change is the shot clock to 24 seconds.

Shouldnt try and make it into the NBA game where it's just high pick n roll's that are unstoppable if you have the right personal.

exactly. I enjoy the NCAA game more because of the physicality. NBA regular season is a joke 90% of the time.

LAZERUSS
03-22-2015, 09:58 AM
Is it because the court is smaller? College game isn't as free flowing as the pros, they have to pass the ball ALOT, and for 35 seconds at a time.

Makes the game alot more boring tbh.

You're kidding right? Aside from the 3pt line (which is shorter in college), and the 12 ft wide lanes (NBA is 16...thanks to Wilt), the court dimensions are identical.

The shot-clock is the biggest factor, with coaching the next biggest. Coaches prefer to keep the games closer, even when falling behind.

You can include the "one-and-done's" as well, which reduce actual talent at the college level. If players were forced to play 4 years of college ball, instead of one, the game would have far more talent.

LAZERUSS
03-22-2015, 09:59 AM
exactly. I enjoy the NCAA game more because of the physicality. NBA regular season is a joke 90% of the time.

Aside from the NCAA tournament, I doubt you, or anyone else, watches college basketball. I would rather watch paint dry.

ILLsmak
03-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Aside from the NCAA tournament, I doubt you, or anyone else, watches college basketball. I would rather watch paint dry.

lol yeah, those empty arenas. Poor college bball players.

That's why teams sometimes get upset in the NBA tourney, they are like o god what is this... people?! And freeze up.

I still like college bball, but there is a skill issue. I also like the physicality. They D harder because they have more chance of a turnover. They can play a real zone as well as if they are able to stick someone for 5 seconds well, they can get a turnover.

There just isn't as much bball skill overall as there used to be, I think. We could also say it's due to crazy D, but I don't know. I don't think the coaches are calling bad sets, it's just that there is a lot of chaos. The recipe seems to be to grab a bunch of dudes that can control the chaos (cause turnovers, get rebounds, stop lay ups) opposed to guys who are skill players.

Scoring in the NBA is kind of down to, imo. The numbers might not be, but the actual ability to create a good shot is. The issue just becomes bailout fouls that make the D give up easy shots or march people to the FT line.

There are *some* FT shooting contests in college bball, as said, but it's usually when the game is fixed.

-Smak

Marchesk
03-22-2015, 10:11 AM

There's tons of college basketball fans who watch during the year. Lots of people root for their alma matters. Many people prefer the college atmosphere. It's a big business. Not football big, but it is the second biggest college sport. Look at how much TV coverage it gets.

T_L_P
03-22-2015, 10:12 AM

The actual play has been horrendous. These kids don't even know how to box out or play transition D. The officiating has been stiffing also.

It's cool to see some upsets, but c'mon. Every play in college is basically:

-Lazy screen
-Pass it to the closest guy
-Do this for 28 seconds
-Chuck up a brick 3 or throw something messy at the rim, hope it goes in

MP.Trey
03-22-2015, 10:15 AM
They really need to change the shot clock. 35 seconds is just a ridiculous amount of time to hold on to a possession. And a lot of teams like to use the full shot clock (especially when they don't have a lot of talent) simply to keep the game as close as possible.

LAZERUSS
03-22-2015, 10:18 AM
There's tons of college basketball fans who watch during the year. Lots of people root for their alma matters. Many people prefer the college atmosphere. It's a big business. Not football big, but it is the second biggest college sport. Look at how much TV coverage it gets.

A typical regular season college game on a typical Saturday...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/24/saturday-cable-ratings-dragon-ball-z-kai-tops-night-college-basketball-kill-la-kill-more/366689/

More people watched Dragon Ball Z. And re-runs of the Big Bang Theory just blew college basketball away.

Marchesk
03-22-2015, 10:22 AM

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/24/saturday-cable-ratings-dragon-ball-z-kai-tops-night-college-basketball-kill-la-kill-more/366689/

More people watched Dragon Ball Z. And re-runs of the Big Bang Theory just blew college basketball away.

I don't live in a major city, so most basketball fans I know or talk to prefer the college game. Plus, there's several good college schools to root for closer than the nearest NBA team, and a lot of people have attended those 3 schools. They have great crowds.

BTW, It's only fair to post stuff like that if you post NBA ratings as well.

UK2K
03-22-2015, 10:24 AM
That's why more people show up for Kentucky's first practice of the season than for any NBA game all season, including the finals.

Because nobody cares.

:lol

UK2K
03-22-2015, 10:26 AM

Basketball fans have taken notice: Kentucky

ILLsmak
03-22-2015, 10:28 AM
They really need to change the shot clock. 35 seconds is just a ridiculous amount of time to hold on to a possession. And a lot of teams like to use the full shot clock (especially when they don't have a lot of talent) simply to keep the game as close as possible.

They did 30 seconds in the NIT. I watched a couple games and some teams got killed. Like Illinois. lol. But I think they were already shitting the bed. I don't think the shot clock should be changed because of the talent difference. 5 seconds doesn't seem like a long time, but it is.

It increases the urgency and I don't know if it's going to make ball any better. It'll just lead to more blow outs. Probably not more scoring overall.

Wouldn't you rather have closer, more exciting games... opposed to team A getting up by 40 and putting in their scrubs, thus allowing the final score to be higher than if they played a close game?

I don't ever get the feeling when I'm watching college bball like... damn I wish they were scoring more tho.

-Smak

LAZERUSS
03-22-2015, 10:29 AM
I don't live in a major city, so most basketball fans I know or talk to prefer the college game. Plus, there's several good college schools to root for closer than the nearest NBA team, and a lot of people have attended those 3 schools. They have great crowds.

BTW, It's only fair to post stuff like that if you post NBA ratings as well.

I'm sure that the game's draw good crowds, but overall, the vast majority of sports fans couldn't name 2-3 players on any other college team other than their own favorite, if that. When I was growing up I could not only give you the names of many college players, I could give you their stats, as well.

Gone are the days of "The Astrodome Game", when two unbeatens, and ranked 1-2 played each other. Or their NCAA rematch a few weeks later. Or the ND-UCLA game in which the Irish overcame a 70-59 deficit in the last three minutes to end UCLA's 88 game winning streak. And their rematch a couple of weeks later. Or the UCLA-NC St. early season match-up in 73-74, which featured two teams that gone unbeaten in 72-73. And their NCAA rematch later on.

Those were EPIC games, and EVERYONE was watching them.

Jameerthefear
03-22-2015, 10:31 AM
college ball is really shit. anyone who consistently watches it probably has autsim

IGOTGAME
03-22-2015, 10:31 AM

I watch the top prospects and best teams. However, I don't watch NBA regular season basketball in the regular season much anymore.

UK2K
03-22-2015, 10:32 AM
I'm sure that the game's draw good crowds, but overall, the vast majority of sports fans couldn't name 2-3 players on any other college team other than their own favorite, if that. When I was growing up I could not only give you the names of many college players, I could give you their stats, as well.

Gone are the days of "The Astrodome Game", when two unbeatens, and ranked 1-2 played each other. Or their NCAA rematch a few weeks later. Or the ND-UCLA game in which the Irish overcame a 70-59 deficit in the last three minutes to end UCLA's 88 game winning streak. And their rematch a couple of weeks later. Or the UCLA-NC St. early season match-up in 73-74, which featured two teams that gone unbeaten in 72-73. And their NCAA rematch later on.

Those were EPIC games, and EVERYONE was watching them.
As I pointed out three pots up, more people watch Kentucky than any 99% of NBA teams, and..
. It marks the third consecutive year ESPN has set a viewership record for its game telecasts, surpassing the past two seasons by 6 percent

Viewer ship is up. Because you don't watch it, doesn't mean nobody else does. In fact, new records are set every season, so more people watched last year than the year before, and I can guarante more people watched this year than last year.

It kinda sounds like you're in the minority. Lol

Jameerthefear
03-22-2015, 10:33 AM
I watch the top prospects and best teams. However, I don't watch NBA regular season basketball in the regular season much anymore.
that's probably because you have autism

UK2K
03-22-2015, 10:33 AM
college ball is really shit. anyone who consistently watches it probably has autsim
Again, more people watched Kentucky than the NBA finals last year.

So...

IGOTGAME
03-22-2015, 10:34 AM
that's probably because you have autism

yup, following NBA prospects from high school to the pros means I have autism. But you are just a chill bro who lusts after teen anime girls. makes sense.

Jameerthefear
03-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Again, more people watched Kentucky than the NBA finals last year.

So...
>more people watched this shitty thing so this shitty thing is good.
topkek

Jameerthefear
03-22-2015, 10:35 AM
yup, following NBA prospects from high school to the pros means I have autism. But you are just a chill bro who lusts after teen anime girls. makes sense.
no. if u choose to watch college basketball over nba i'm saying u have autism. i follow a ton of prospects and watch college basketball since the magic are in the lottery.

UK2K
03-22-2015, 10:36 AM
>more people watched this shitty thing so this shitty thing is good.
topkek
Or, less people watch what you like, so it makes you cool and hip. Way to go!

Jameerthefear
03-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Or, less people watch what you like, so it makes you cool and hip. Way to go!
http://dvdasa.com/images/3/34/025gif4.gif
sure whatever u say

LAZERUSS
03-22-2015, 10:42 AM
As I pointed out three pots up, more people watch Kentucky than any 99% of NBA teams, and..
. It marks the third consecutive year ESPN has set a viewership record for its game telecasts, surpassing the past two seasons by 6 percent

Viewer ship is up. Because you don't watch it, doesn't mean nobody else does. In fact, new records are set every season, so more people watched last year than the year before, and I can guarante more people watched this year than last year.

It kinda sounds like you're in the minority. Lol

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/03/college-basketball-ratings-viewership-every-game-2014-2015-regular-season-espn-cbs-fox-fs1-nbcsn/

As usual, most college basketball telecasts attracted very few viewers. Of the 979 games on CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, FOX, FS1, FS2 and NBCSN, only 25 had a rating of 1.5 or higher (not including 7 games for which ratings were unavailable). More than half of the games had 0.0 or 0.1 rating, and more than a quarter finished in the 0.2-0.5 range.

The December 2 Mount St. Mary’s/Seton Hall game on Fox Sports 2 was the least-watched of the season, with just 1,000 viewers. Fox Sports 2 aired the 10 of the 11 least-watched games during the regular season, with a Big East team involved in each of the ten

Looks like YOU are in the minority my friend.

NO ONE watches college basketball.

Marchesk
03-22-2015, 10:44 AM
i follow a ton of prospects and watch college basketball since the magic are the Laker's farm team.

FTFY

UK2K
03-22-2015, 10:51 AM
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/03/college-basketball-ratings-viewership-every-game-2014-2015-regular-season-espn-cbs-fox-fs1-nbcsn/

Looks like YOU are in the minority my friend.

NO ONE watches college basketball.
I don't care about San Diego Tech South Carolina University of technology.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/01/most-watched-sporting-events-2014-nfl-super-bowl-world-cup-olympics-bcs-nba-finals-world-series/

20 million watched the Kentucky v UConn game. 18m watched game 6 of the finals.

16 million watched the final four game between Kentucky and Wisconsin, 15m watched game 2 of the finals.

There are more viewers of the NBA because they play a shit load of games, but the 30 most viewed NCAA teams probably have higher ratings than your average NBA game.

As I pointed out, more people watched Kentucky beat unranked Florida than the Rockets/Clippers AND the Heat/Cavs, combined.

EDIT:

Oh and in 2013, the final four had higher ratings than the finals, again.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/22/final-four-beat-bcs-bowls-and-nba-finals-in-tv-ratings/

According to the site, the recent, thrilling NBA finals came in second in viewership in the all-important demographic of males aged 18-49, with an average 7.1 rating over the seven-game series. The Final Four was numero uno in live sports.

So... Unless you are 17 or 50, YOU are in the minority.

LAZERUSS
03-22-2015, 10:53 AM
College basketball is just unwatchable. Plain-and-simple.

Scores are down because teams are coached to run the shot-clock down to zero, even passing up wide open shots along the way, and then hoisting a desperation shot that has no chance. Physical play is encouraged, and the officials just swallow their whistles. And finally, the talent level is just awful. When a player like Tyler Hansborough wins CPOY you know something is horribly wrong.

LAZERUSS
03-22-2015, 10:55 AM

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/01/most-watched-sporting-events-2014-nfl-super-bowl-world-cup-olympics-bcs-nba-finals-world-series/

16 million watched the final four game between Kentucky and Wisconsin, 15m watched game 2 of the finals.

There are more viewers of the NBA because they play a shit load of games, but the 30 most viewed NCAA teams probably have higher ratings than your average NBA game.

As I pointed out, more people watched Kentucky beat unranked Florida than the Rockets/Clippers AND the Heat/Cavs, combined.

And I don't give a shit about your KU games. 30 stinking games out of 1000????? COLLEGE basketball is NOT being watched...BY ANYONE. Plain-and-simple. Get a life my friend. Watch reruns of the Big Bang Theory...like everyone else does when College basketball is on.

Hey Yo
03-22-2015, 10:57 AM
For me, I don't like watching 2 teams shoot 42% or lower. It seems like it's usually the first team to 55pts wins.

Plus there's no star power at all. Too many one-and-dones.

UK2K
03-22-2015, 10:58 AM
And I don't give a shit about your KU games. 30 stinking games out of 1000????? COLLEGE basketball is NOT being watched...BY ANYONE. Plain-and-simple. Get a life my friend. Watch reruns of the Big Bang Theory...like everyone else does when College basketball is on.
Nobody watches yet the final four has higher ratings than the finals the last two seasons. Odd. How could that be?

I swear its not just me with 18,000,000 televisions.

Marchesk
03-22-2015, 10:58 AM
And I don't give a shit about your KU games. 30 stinking games out of 1000????? COLLEGE basketball is NOT being watched...BY ANYONE.

Why make statements like that when they're absurd and wrong? I know people who watch college basketball. I know people who have season tickets and even travel to see their team play on the road. I see people in bars watching. Today, the sports bars will be full.

Hey Yo
03-22-2015, 11:00 AM

EDIT:

Oh and in 2013, the final four had higher ratings than the finals, again.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/22/final-four-beat-bcs-bowls-and-nba-finals-in-tv-ratings/

According to the site, the recent, thrilling NBA finals came in second in viewership in the all-important demographic of males aged 18-49, with an average 7.1 rating over the seven-game series. The Final Four was numero uno in live sports.

So... Unless you are 17 or 50, YOU are in the minority.
Of course Final 4's and Championship games are going to be watched. But the in season games are awful. All anyone ever says is "when's March Madness start?"

navy
It's also because all the good players get out of college as quickly as possible.

UK2K
Why make statements like that when they're absurd and wrong? I know people who watch college basketball. I know people who have season tickets and even travel to see their team play on the road. I see people in bars watching. Today, the sports bars will be full.
His statement is 100% inaccurate and 100% wrong.

As I said, the final four the last two years has beaten the NBA finals in ratings, so he's just a little boy that is being told something he doesn't like to hear.

LAZERUSS
03-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Nobody watches yet the final four has higher ratings than the finals the last two seasons. Odd. How could that be?

I swear its not just me with 18,000,000 televisions.

Ah...the FINAL FOUR. Did you not read my earlier post...

So again, you can completely forget about the COLLEGE REGULAR season, which has been proven to show that NO ONE gives a shit.

Marchesk
03-22-2015, 11:02 AM
Of course Final 4's and Championship games are going to be watched. But the in season games are awful. All anyone ever says is "when's March Madness start?"

College basketball fans tell me the NBA regular season games are boring and it looks to them like the players aren't trying that hard.

UK2K
03-22-2015, 11:03 AM
How many threads do we see every season where someone is bitching that the 82 game season is too long?

I'm not gonna argue that Northwestern State vs Buffalo is a compelling matchup, but Kentucky/Duke/Louisville/UNC/Syracuse pull in far more viewers than the Bucks or Timberwolves.

The 20-30th best teams in the NCAA will generally have higher viewer ship than the 20-30th best teams in the NBA.

Except this year when LAL and NYK sucks balls.

Hey Yo
03-22-2015, 11:04 AM
His statement is 100% inaccurate and 100% wrong.

As I said, the final four the last two years has beaten the NBA finals in ratings, so he's just a little boy that is being told something he doesn't like to hear.
Maybe due to more money being bet on Final Four NCAA, than NBA.

Hey Yo
03-22-2015, 11:07 AM
How many threads do we see every season where someone is bitching that the 82 game season is too long?

I'm not gonna argue that Northwestern State vs Buffalo is a compelling matchup, but Kentucky/Duke/Louisville/UNC/Syracuse pull in far more viewers than the Bucks or Timberwolves.

The 20-30th best teams in the NCAA will generally have higher viewer ship than the 20-30th best teams in the NBA.

Except this year when LAL and NYK sucks balls.
Depends on who they're playing. The problem with college is that there isn't enough of the above teams scheduling tougher teams throughout the season. Some don't want to do a "home and home"....they just say, "no, you come to our house"

UK2K
03-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Ah...the FINAL FOUR. Did you not read my earlier post...

So again, you can completely forget about the COLLEGE REGULAR season, which has been proven to show that NO ONE gives a shit.
And you didn't read my post:
According to figures provided by Sports TV Ratings, only three NBA games on cable* this season have reeled in more viewers than Kentucky/Florida:

1) Bulls/Lakers on Christmas night (4.04 million on ESPN)
2) Knicks/Cavs on Opening Night, LeBron

LAZERUSS
03-22-2015, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=UK2K]And you didn't read my post:
According to figures provided by Sports TV Ratings, only three NBA games on cable* this season have reeled in more viewers than Kentucky/Florida:

1) Bulls/Lakers on Christmas night (4.04 million on ESPN)
2) Knicks/Cavs on Opening Night, LeBron

christian1923
03-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Jus by looking through this thread, The people who don't like college ball are player stans.

They have no idea what is it to root for a team, they focus on star players instead of the team itself.

no rule change is gonna make them like the game, they just have nothing to root for except 1 player.

Nastradamus
03-22-2015, 11:36 AM
Cut the damn shot clock down.

ZenMaster
03-22-2015, 11:47 AM
And you obviously overlooked this...

No ONE cares.

And the only reason anyone watches KU basketball is because they basically have some NBA-level talent. Of course we really don't know that for sure...since they don't play against anyone else who does.

You always make these stupid statements about college players, saw you do it with Wiggins as well. "We don't know anything about them because they haven't played NBA players yet". Truth is that it's just you who has NO idea on how to evaluate players.

ILLsmak
03-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Depends on who they're playing. The problem with college is that there isn't enough of the above teams scheduling tougher teams throughout the season. Some don't want to do a "home and home"....they just say, "no, you come to our house"

They actually play non-conference games and then conference games. So, believe it or not, there are plenty of good matchups in the second half of the year. In fact, conference games seem to be more tough than non-conf... people are like omg UPSET but plenty of teams who 'aren't good' vs non conference teams or even in the NCAAs can wreck a top conference team.

I mean, I can't say college ball is better than NBA... I do kind of enjoy it more, but the idea that you can't enjoy college bball is as stupid as saying you can't enjoy college football if you like NFL. It's a different culture, different bragging rights. It's more personal. Repping your school is different than repping your NBA team, you might even have seen some of the dudes in class. Might even have known some of them as friends.

If your school makes the tourney, assuming it's not a power conference team, that's a huge thing that gets everyone excited and probably sells much merchandise.

-Smak

atljonesbro
03-22-2015, 12:07 PM
I can't watch too much college basketball. It's incredibly boring and usually an awful product. Teams just pass it around the perimeter for 32 seconds and jack up a 3.

IncarceratedBob
03-22-2015, 12:39 PM
I only watch college bball during March and even then I have a hard time watching. The kids are so bad, they can't make a jumper at all and just dribble around for 30 seconds. Boring.

UK2K
03-22-2015, 12:57 PM
And you obviously overlooked this...

No ONE cares.

And the only reason anyone watches KU basketball is because they basically have some NBA-level talent. Of course we really don't know that for sure...since they don't play against anyone else who does.
Because 99% of college basketball teams nobody cares about.

But the 1% they do care about exceeds viewership for the top NBA games.

If your point is nobody cares about the New Jersey Institute of Technology basketball team, then you win.

But if your point is that nobody watches college basketball, I've proved you wrong again and again.

UK2K
03-22-2015, 12:58 PM
I only watch college bball during March and even then I have a hard time watching. The kids are so bad, they can't make a jumper at all and just dribble around for 30 seconds. Boring.

Defense exceeds offense at the college level.

Heavincent
03-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Defense exceeds offense at the college level.

I guess that's why most NBA rookies are horrible defenders.

The offense is so atrocious at the college level that it makes the defense look better than it actually is.

ILLsmak
03-22-2015, 01:55 PM

The offense is so atrocious at the college level that it makes the defense look better than it actually is.

Different game. Would foul out doing that in the nba. A lot of the people in college also are good at d but not good enough to make the nba. I saw an old illinois player who is in euroleague now... Brian randle. He was a beast at d but not good enough to stick in nba. Plus injures. Plenty of dudes are bad shooters coming into nba too, but that doesnt mean there aren't players who can shoot in college. In fact it seems there is good foor space in college.

-Smak

UK2K
03-22-2015, 02:18 PM

The game is called differently in college.

In the NBA, you aren't allowed to breathe on your opponent. Lots of teams in college are known for hand checking and physical play.

That's kind of why rookies are bad defenders (if you consider Nerlens or Wiggins a bad defender I guess). The game is different.

Plus, again, you can literally camp the lane in college. You can't do that in the NBA.

Hey Yo
03-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Virginia and Mich St. shoot a combined 34-97 and 8-29 from 3

:facepalm

IGOTGAME
03-22-2015, 03:34 PM

that was a great game full of excitement. If you didnt like that then I dont know what to tell you. Two teams came in there and played great defense: great rotations and great contests at the rim. It was a beautiful to watch.

I guess you rather watch 200 high pick and rolls.

Hey Yo
03-22-2015, 03:43 PM
that was a great game full of excitement. If you didnt like that then I dont know what to tell you. Two teams came in there and played great defense: great rotations and great contests at the rim. It was a beautiful to watch.

I guess you rather watch 200 high pick and rolls.
I prefer both, but will take scoring over defense. People don't pay big money to watch defense, they want offense.

That's why most prefer 4-3 Hockey games over 1-0
7-5 Baseball games > pitchers duel
28-20 NFL game > 10-7

outbreak
03-22-2015, 03:59 PM
I don't mind the lower scores so much and like most of the play in college ball, the long shot clock though should be changed.

UK2K
03-22-2015, 05:13 PM

Virginia also has one of the most elite defenses college basketball has ever seen, so, its kinda understandable.

Jon_Koncak
03-23-2015, 09:40 AM
I cant believe that in year 2015 USA's second most popular basketball league still uses a 35 second shot clock.As others have mentioned it's just ridiculous.

Lebron23
03-23-2015, 08:12 PM
NCAA is a much different ball game. In the NBA plenty of free flowing offense, and more isolation plays. And I have the 35 seconds shot clock. They need to change it to 23 seconds or less.

warriorfan
03-23-2015, 08:13 PM
I'm on the NCAA boycott fucc those crooks and their shitty product

Hey Yo
03-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Virginia also has one of the most elite defenses college basketball has ever seen, so, its kinda understandable.
But their offense is / was awful.

30% from the field, 12% from 3 and had one more assist (6) than turnovers (5) against Mich. St.

Celebrating offense more often is much more entertaining than doing the same for defense.

Not saying all NCAAM is like this but it's getting closer to the norm. as years pass.

IGOTGAME
03-23-2015, 08:32 PM
But their offense is / was awful.

30% from the field, 12% from 3 and had one more assist (6) than turnovers (5) against Mich. St.

Celebrating offense more often is much more entertaining than doing the same for defense.

Not saying all NCAAM is like this but it's getting closer to the norm. as years pass.

did you watch the game? That was a clinic on how to play defense in college.

Doranku
03-23-2015, 08:40 PM
Cut the damn shot clock down.

Yup. 35 seconds is just absurd. 30 would be a happy medium between NBA and what college is currently.

wakencdukest
03-23-2015, 09:30 PM
Why don't they just ban college basketball? no, just ban all basketball that isn't the NBA. Obviously there should be no basketball that isn't world class like the NBA. Might as well get rid of high school ball too. :facepalm Some of you assholes just don't get the excitement and energy of the college game, the best crowds in the world, watching players develop, the rivalries, the intensity, things you just don't see in the NBA. College ball isn't on the same level as the NBA obviously, and it isn't supposed to be.

LAZERUSS
03-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Why don't they just ban college basketball? no, just ban all basketball that isn't the NBA. Obviously there should be no basketball that isn't world class like the NBA. Might as well get rid of high school ball too. :facepalm Some of you assholes just don't get the excitement and energy of the college game, the best crowds in the world, watching players develop, the rivalries, the intensity, things you just don't see in the NBA. College ball isn't on the same level as the NBA obviously, and it isn't supposed to be.

It is absolutely unwatchable...period.

And yes, years ago it was MUCH better. In the 60's and throughout most of the 70's, players played FOUR years of college (albeit, for much of it only three varsity seasons.)

By their junior seasons you KNEW who were going to be stars in the NBA. I remember in the college class of 67-68, which had Wes Unseld, Pete Maravich, Elvin Hayes, and Lew Alcindor (Kareem.) In the '68-69 season, Hayes went on to lead the NBA in ppg, while Unseld won ROY and the MVP. Alcindor was the most anticipated entry into the NBA since Wilt, and likely no one else has ever been more coveted since. And Pistol Pete went on to be among the best scorers of the 70's, and in fact, won a scoring title in 76-77.

Also, teams had to win their conference to get into the NCAA tournament. Other than the ACC post-season tourney, in which a 14-0 ACC team in South Carolina was stunned in '70, the best team from each conference made it to the tournament. Hell, the '71 USC Trojans went 24-2 and didn't make it (both losses to UCLA.) Oh, and in '73, 27-0 North Carolina St. was unable to go to the tournament because of recruiting violations.

True, there was no shot-clock, nor 3 pt line back then, but the talented teams generally were coached to play uptempo, and the results were winning teams routinely scoring 90+ points.

There are obviously those that prefer teams that finished 6th in their own conference getting into a 65 team field, and shocking everyone with a title run, but I am not one of them. I would much rather have the 16 best teams slugging it out. In fact, I would prefer the top-16 teams playing a best-of-three series in each round.

Right now, with so many conference post-season tournaments, teams essentially play a 30 game "exhibition" schedule, which is almost meaningless, and then 65 teams are picked after that, most of which have no business being in the tournament.

In any case, the "one-and-dones", the 35 second clock, the physical play allowed, and the coaches doing all they can to keep the game close is just ruining what was once a great game.

Those that prefer this type of game...good for you. I would rather watch golf.

DonDadda59
03-23-2015, 10:11 PM

Most posters here aren't even Basketball fans and don't know the first thing about the game. They couldn't tell you the difference between a 2-3 zone and a full court press. So obviously they can't pick up or enjoy the nuances of teams that do more than just pick and roll every possession. They have no clue what they're watching. Always makes it harder to enjoy any sport when that happens.

IGOTGAME
03-23-2015, 10:32 PM
Most posters here aren't even Basketball fans and don't know the first thing about the game. They couldn't tell you the difference between a 2-3 zone and a full court press. So obviously they can't pick up or enjoy the nuances of teams that do more than just pick and roll every possession. They have no clue what they're watching. Always makes it harder to enjoy any sport when that happens.

This. This is exactly what happens and its been sad to watch all the actual basketball people leave the site.

LAZERUSS
03-23-2015, 10:36 PM
did you watch the game? That was a clinic on how to play defense in college.

Defenses are so good today, that they have virtually eliminated the fast break...

Jameerthefear
03-23-2015, 10:51 PM
It is absolutely unwatchable...period.

And yes, years ago it was MUCH better. In the 60's and throughout most of the 70's, players played FOUR years of college (albeit, for much of it only three varsity seasons.)

By their junior seasons you KNEW who were going to be stars in the NBA. I remember in the college class of 67-68, which had Wes Unseld, Pete Maravich, Elvin Hayes, and Lew Alcindor (Kareem.) In the '68-69 season, Hayes went on to lead the NBA in ppg, while Unseld won ROY and the MVP. Alcindor was the most anticipated entry into the NBA since Wilt, and likely no one else has ever been more coveted since. And Pistol Pete went on to be among the best scorers of the 70's, and in fact, won a scoring title in 76-77.

Also, teams had to win their conference to get into the NCAA tournament. Other than the ACC post-season tourney, in which a 14-0 ACC team in South Carolina was stunned in '70, the best team from each conference made it to the tournament. Hell, the '71 USC Trojans went 24-2 and didn't make it (both losses to UCLA.) Oh, and in '73, 27-0 North Carolina St. was unable to go to the tournament because of recruiting violations.

True, there was no shot-clock, nor 3 pt line back then, but the talented teams generally were coached to play uptempo, and the results were winning teams routinely scoring 90+ points.

There are obviously those that prefer teams that finished 6th in their own conference getting into a 65 team field, and shocking everyone with a title run, but I am not one of them. I would much rather have the 16 best teams slugging it out. In fact, I would prefer the top-16 teams playing a best-of-three series in each round.

Right now, with so many conference post-season tournaments, teams essentially play a 30 game "exhibition" schedule, which is almost meaningless, and then 65 teams are picked after that, most of which have no business being in the tournament.

In any case, the "one-and-dones", the 35 second clock, the physical play allowed, and the coaches doing all they can to keep the game close is just ruining what was once a great game.

Those that prefer this type of game...good for you. I would rather watch golf.
yeah whatever this says is probably complete bullshit since 60's basketball sucks so

LAZERUSS
03-23-2015, 11:01 PM
yeah whatever this says is probably complete bullshit since 60's basketball sucks so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkalgtZraE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ

Jameerthefear
03-23-2015, 11:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkalgtZraE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ
not watching those but if it's about 60's ball it sucks

LAZERUSS
03-23-2015, 11:06 PM
not watching those but if it's about 60's ball it sucks

I guess you would agree then that a 23-25 year old Hakeem would be worthless in today's NBA, right?

secund2nun
03-23-2015, 11:10 PM
College bball sucks. 36 second shot clock that gets milked down every possession, subpar talent, a short 3 point line, no offense/no defense, most teams play the same game....overall it's just very boring.

The NCAA tournament is mainly based on luck with its one and done format and short 3 point lines.

Jameerthefear
03-23-2015, 11:39 PM
I guess you would agree then that a 23-25 year old Hakeem would be worthless in today's NBA, right?
Nope.

LAZERUSS
03-23-2015, 11:43 PM
Nope.

How do explain a 38-40 year old Kareem that just destroyed a 23-25 year old Hakeem was playing college ball in the 60's.

Can you imagine the carpet-bombing that a 23-25 year old Kareem would have unleashed on Hakeem?

LAZERUSS
03-24-2015, 02:10 AM
BTW, how about the NIT?

Can you imagine the NBA inviting the 16 bottom teams into their own playoffs?

After a grueling 20 playoff games..."we proved we are the 17th best team in the league."

Gotta love college basketball.

UK2K
03-24-2015, 02:13 AM
BTW, how about the NIT?

Can you imagine the NBA inviting the 16 bottom teams into their own playoffs?

After a grueling 20 playoff games..."we proved we are the 17th best team in the league."

Gotta love college basketball.

Way for schools to pull in more money, and thus, the NCAA to pull in more money.

Plus, its nice for those teams from smaller conferences who go 25-6 and dont make the tournament because they didnt win their conference tourney at the end, ala Murray State.

warriorfan
03-24-2015, 02:14 AM

bodied

LAZERUSS
03-24-2015, 02:20 AM
Way for schools to pull in more money, and thus, the NCAA to pull in more money.

Plus, its nice for those teams from smaller conferences who go 25-6 and dont make the tournament because they didnt win their conference tourney at the end, ala Murray State.

"Do you believe in miracles? The Holy Cross Hippos have just won the NIT!! They are the 66th best team in the country!" "All 16 of their fans stormed onto the court, and tore down the basket!"

ILLsmak
03-24-2015, 10:07 AM
"Do you believe in miracles? The Holy Cross Hippos have just won the NIT!! They are the 66th best team in the country!" "All 16 of their fans stormed onto the court, and tore down the basket!"

The scope of college bball is completely different. Should d2 schools not have a tourney, either?

People know what the NIT is. It used to actually be the tourney, but now... I mean they have middle season and early season tourneys, too.

I'm surprised with all of the 'thoughtfulness' you put into defending wilt (even if it's just a troll) that you cannot grasp why someone would like college bball.

Like I said, I don't get the feeling that you guys do, apparently, how everyone sucks, etc. I don't mind passing it around either if they are looking for a shot. A lot of the passing around is due to true zones, though.

If you wanna say that NBA is better, then that's OK, but how NCAA is 'unwatchable' and NBA is some amazing display... lol. There are plenty of teams I don't wanna watch in the NBA, either.

-Smak

Hey Yo
03-27-2015, 11:33 PM
7mins left in the Duke / Utah game.

Both teams combined for 85pts so far.

:sleeping :sleeping

Hey Yo
03-27-2015, 11:35 PM
Okafor just took his first FGA in the 2nd half with 6min left

christian1923
03-27-2015, 11:47 PM