PDA

View Full Version : OGT: New Orleans Pelicans (37-32) @ Los Angeles Clippers (45-25) 12:30 PST

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Big game for the Pelicans play-off hopes. Can't afford to slide back further in the standings.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/zrdLw-6Q0w80dHcYgVWTzxJ3Dw0=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3525604/BGslides.0.gif

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Davis is back in the line-up.

BG vs AD part duex.

You Cant Ban Me
03-22-2015, 03:45 PM
looks like AD is about to get a large order of papa john's garlic parmesan breadsticks blake's treat :applause:

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Good game thus far.

AD and Gordon killing it for NO. Blake and Paul playing well for the Clips.

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 04:55 PM
All you fakkits not watching are missing a dope game. AD is UNCONSCIOUS right now. 8-8 so far.

notatop29pg
03-22-2015, 04:58 PM
All you fakkits not watching are missing a dope game. AD is UNCONSCIOUS right now. 8-8 so far.

Dunks and putbacks no doubt?

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Dunks and putbacks no doubt?

Close. Iso jumpers and post-ups. :lol

navy
03-22-2015, 05:07 PM
Bird fed buckets? :biggums:

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 05:09 PM
Gotta be honest, haven't liked the way Blake has looked since coming back. Super tentative and passive.

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 05:15 PM
F*cking Blake can't score on Pondexter.

J Shuttlesworth
03-22-2015, 05:23 PM
"Nate Robinson, the smallest guy on the court including the three referees" :roll:

navy
03-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Gotta be honest, haven't liked the way Blake has looked since coming back. Super tentative and passive.
So...the same?

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 05:35 PM
Only two players in college history with 40-20 (rebounds) games: Blake and Norris f*cking Cole. :roll:

navy
03-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Only two players in college history with 40-20 (rebounds) games: Blake and Norris f*cking Cole. :roll:
Cole has two championships. 3 Finals appearances.

Checkmate, Blake.

Fudge
The only time i'll ever be rooting for Redick the racist.

LoneyROY7
There we f*cking go. Blake finishing the game strong.

dunksby
03-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Go Clippers :cheers: :banana:

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 05:41 PM
BG. :applause:

Young X
03-22-2015, 05:42 PM
BG. :applause:Being aggressive. :applause:

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Being aggressive. :applause:

Bout f*cking time. Paul needs some damn help.

DMAVS41
03-22-2015, 05:45 PM
And the Pelicans probably just missed the playoffs.

All those horrible contracts and panic moves...and you miss the playoffs yet again likely.

Just horrible team management. They tried to rush the process in one of the most loaded conferences in NBA history...doesn't get any dumber than that. And they still have to deal with 1 more year of Gordon and two more years of Evans and Holiday.

So all this was for nothing...just gave away assets to miss the playoffs and then by the time they are ready...the entire team will look differently. Horrid...called this years ago with the Gordon trade.

Still can't believe these clowns gave away Noel and a lottery pick for Holiday...WTF?

notatop29pg
03-22-2015, 05:51 PM

Just in time for playoffs. He can sit back and let CP3 shoulder the load and the blame yet again.

Career downhill skier.

notatop29pg
03-22-2015, 05:53 PM

All those horrible contracts and panic moves...and you miss the playoffs yet again likely.

Just horrible team management. They tried to rush the process in one of the most loaded conferences in NBA history...doesn't get any dumber than that. And they still have to deal with 1 more year of Gordon and two more years of Evans and Holiday.

So all this was for nothing...just gave away assets to miss the playoffs and then by the time they are ready...the entire team will look differently. Horrid...called this years ago with the Gordon trade.

Still can't believe these clowns gave away Noel and a lottery pick for Holiday...WTF?

I must have missed the announcement that there would never be another season of NBA.

navy
03-22-2015, 05:54 PM

So all this was for nothing...just gave away assets to miss the playoffs and then by the time they are ready...the entire team will look differently. Horrid...

Well the Pelicans got him for another 6 or so years. So hope isnt lost yet.

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Just in time for playoffs. He can sit back and let CP3 shoulder the load and the blame yet again.

Career downhill skier.

Yeah, it sucks that Blake can't play against Davis in the play-offs. It would give him a chance to improve upon his now 7-1 record.

DMAVS41
03-22-2015, 05:57 PM
I must have missed the announcement that there would never be another season of NBA.

It's about the players on the team dude.

By the time this team is ready to move forward...it will be completely different players.

So why rush the process? It made no sense at the time and now looks even worse considering they've missed the playoffs back to back years.

The only argument one could have made was that making the playoffs earlier would have yielded valuable experience. But now that didn't happen.

They traded Noel and a lotto pick for Holiday...they signed Evans. They maxed out Gordon. They gave up a pick for Aski (which I don't mind if they keep him)...

They should have built the team from the ground up with players that were going to be there long term. They did the exact opposite...and for what? Like I said at the time....they did it all for at best to make the playoffs and lose in the first round.

I'm going to try and find my posts. I was saying this shit 3 years ago about how the over under for playoff series win over the next 3 years was going to be .5...where everyone would take the under.

So it begs the question...why hurt your future to improve the present...if the present can be only improved to perhaps 8th to 10th seed in the conference.'

Asik expires this year
Anderson expires next year
Gordon expires next year (assuming he picks up his option)
Evans expires in 2 years
Holiday expires in 2 years

They have nobody else of note around Davis and they have given away Noel and 2 first rounders for the current team. So not only did they lose out on 3 real assets, but they are hurting their draft position as well. Just stupid...

notatop29pg
03-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Yeah, it sucks that Blake can't play against Davis in the play-offs. It would give him a chance to improve upon his now 7-1 record.

The very definition of a downhill skier... plays well against bad teams. Struggles against the rest.

BlakFrankWhite
03-22-2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks clippers

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 06:00 PM
The very definition of a downhill skier... plays well against bad teams. Struggles against the rest.

At least Blake is on the slopes. Meanwhile, Davis is left watching from the ski lift.

notatop29pg
03-22-2015, 06:05 PM
At least Blake is on the slopes. Meanwhile, Davis is left watching from the ski lift.

All for what though? How many more years is CP3 gonna carry Blake to the playoffs for? The Clippers will be back in the dark age the moment Paul starts to decline.

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 06:06 PM
All for what though? How many more years is CP3 gonna carry Blake to the playoffs for? The Clippers will be back in the dark age the moment Paul starts to decline.

:sleeping

navy
03-22-2015, 06:09 PM
DAMN. Kevin Garnett baby.

LoneyROY7
03-22-2015, 06:10 PM
DAMN. Kevin Garnett baby.

I was waiting for it. :oldlol:

notatop29pg
03-22-2015, 06:14 PM
It's about the players on the team dude.

By the time this team is ready to move forward...it will be completely different players.

So why rush the process? It made no sense at the time and now looks even worse considering they've missed the playoffs back to back years.

The only argument one could have made was that making the playoffs earlier would have yielded valuable experience. But now that didn't happen.

They traded Noel and a lotto pick for Holiday...they signed Evans. They maxed out Gordon. They gave up a pick for Aski (which I don't mind if they keep him)...

They should have built the team from the ground up with players that were going to be there long term. They did the exact opposite...and for what? Like I said at the time....they did it all for at best to make the playoffs and lose in the first round.

I'm going to try and find my posts. I was saying this shit 3 years ago about how the over under for playoff series win over the next 3 years was going to be .5...where everyone would take the under.

So it begs the question...why hurt your future to improve the present...if the present can be only improved to perhaps 8th to 10th seed in the conference.'

Asik expires this year
Anderson expires next year
Gordon expires next year (assuming he picks up his option)
Evans expires in 2 years
Holiday expires in 2 years

They have nobody else of note around Davis and they have given away Noel and 2 first rounders for the current team. So not only did they lose out on 3 real assets, but they are hurting their draft position as well. Just stupid...

Or you could look at it from a business point of view.

This isn't NBA 2K15 where the numbers all mean nothing. Small markets like NOLA simply can't afford to be constantly rebuilding.

The NOLA fan base virtually disappeared the moment CP3 left and the side became non competitive. They can't afford to be like the 76ers and just rebuild for 75 years.

From a purely business point, being entertaining and competitive brings fans + $$$, even if you aren't a contender. As far as making $$ is concerned the Pels can sustain the Franchise purely by making sure that they are still a playoff chance right up to game 82.

If they did the Philly thing the team would be sold and moved within 2 seasons.

notatop29pg
03-22-2015, 06:16 PM
:sleeping

Save the sleep for the second round :)

DMAVS41
03-22-2015, 06:18 PM
Or you could look at it from a business point of view.

This isn't NBA 2K15 where the numbers all mean nothing. Small markets like NOLA simply can't afford to be constantly rebuilding.

The NOLA fan base virtually disappeared the moment CP3 left and the side became non competitive. They can't afford to be like the 76ers and just rebuild for 75 years.

From a purely business point, being entertaining and competitive brings fans + $$$, even if you aren't a contender. As far as making $$ is concerned the Pels can sustain the Franchise purely by making sure that they are still a playoff chance right up to game 82.

If they did the Philly thing the team would be sold and moved within 2 seasons.

I'm looking at if from every standpoint. Signing Gordon to the max doesn't help you win for starters. So on all fronts that was a huge mistake. Both for business, the present, the future, filling the seats. He's not good and he's not exciting.

Huge mistake.

And does Evans make you a better team? IMO...no. Why not sign someone that makes sense?

Is Holiday exciting and does he fill the seats? No. Fans would much rather watch Noel and another lottery pick alongside Davis this year than ****ing Holiday.

So on all fronts this way fails. They aren't an exciting team and they didn't win.

That is what is so funny...they are rebuilding...and they are going to have to "rebuild" again soon when all these guys go.

They rushed the process and made terrible move after terrible move.

Have to really hope Davis doesn't bounce...this summer and next summer are huge for keeping him.

They would never have been Philly because Davis is a monster. Put just about any team around Davis right now and you are going to be over .500...even in the West...he's that good. That is what makes this so dumb. You weren't going to suck with Davis. Yea, you might have been 5 games or so worse the last 2 years if they had built properly, but who knows...maybe not. This team doesn't fit well together to begin with...they might have built a better team with a real future my way.

But LOL...a team with Davis isn't going to be the sixers. He's, at worst, the 3rd best player in the NBA right now imo. That's worth 44 wins a year on it's own...even in the West.

navy
03-22-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm looking at if from every standpoint. Signing Gordon to the max doesn't help you win for starters. So on all fronts that was a huge mistake. Both for business, the present, the future, filling the seats. He's not good and he's not exciting.

Huge mistake.

And does Evans make you a better team? IMO...no. Why not sign someone that makes sense?

Is Holiday exciting and does he fill the seats? No. Fans would much rather watch Noel and another lottery pick alongside Davis this year than ****ing Holiday.

So on all fronts this way fails. They aren't an exciting team and they didn't win.

That is what is so funny...they are rebuilding...and they are going to have to "rebuild" again soon when all these guys go.

Have to really hope Davis doesn't bounce...this summer and next summer are huge for keeping him.

They would never have been Philly because Davis is a monster. Put just about any team around Davis right now and you are going to be over .500...even in the West...he's that good. That is what makes this so dumb. You weren't going to suck with Davis. Yea, you might have been 5 games or so worse the last 2 years if they had built properly, but who knows...maybe not. This team doesn't fit well together to begin with...they might have built a better team with a real future my way.

But LOL...a team with Davis isn't going to be the sixers. He's, at worst, the 3rd best player in the NBA right now imo. That's worth 44 wins a year on it's own...even in the West.
How can Davis bounce? He wont be a free agent anytime soon.

qrich
03-22-2015, 06:26 PM
Going to climb all the way up to the 3rd seed, can't wait.

Though, I'd prefer 4/5. Houston or Portland in first round followed by the Warriors would be easier than the Spurs followed by Memphis.

DMAVS41
03-22-2015, 06:29 PM
How can Davis bounce? He wont be a free agent anytime soon.

He will be after next year actually if we wants to be.

notatop29pg
03-22-2015, 06:31 PM

Huge mistake.

Those points have all been made before, and so have the counters, so no point repeating.

I'll wait till AD leaves or doesn't before judging the moves.

In a few months, 29 teams will have all failed in building a championship team, so long as fan numbers are up and the bank accounts are + there will always be next year.

I have a bad feeling the 76ers method is going to fail miserably too. But they can keep saying "well we weren't aiming for this year" over and over again... so nobody will ever notice or comment.

navy
03-22-2015, 06:31 PM
He will be after next year actually if we wants to be.
Pretty sure he'll be a restricted free agent. Which is basically not a free agent at all.

DMAVS41
03-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Pretty sure he'll be a restricted free agent. Which is basically not a free agent at all.

Yea, but if Davis doesn't want to be there...he doesn't want to be there. These players get advice and talk to older players that had to suffer through 7 to 10 years of shit before they were free.

You poorly manage a team and it opens the door for him asking out. And you can't succeed if your franchise player doesn't want to be there.

I have no idea if that will happen, but the door is open to it the way they have built this current team.

LAZERUSS
03-22-2015, 06:37 PM

Where do you guys get your info from?

My god, in Wilt's very first varsity game he hung a 52-31 game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilt_Chamberlain

[QUOTE]On December 3, 1956, Chamberlain made his varsity debut. In his first varsity game the center scored 52 points and grabbed 31 rebounds, breaking both all-time Kansas records in an 87

DMAVS41
03-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Those points have all been made before, and so have the counters, so no point repeating.

I'll wait till AD leaves or doesn't before judging the moves.

In a few months, 29 teams will have all failed in building a championship team, so long as fan numbers are up and the bank accounts are + there will always be next year.

I have a bad feeling the 76ers method is going to fail miserably too. But they can keep saying "well we weren't aiming for this year" over and over again... so nobody will ever notice or comment.

You aren't responding any real counters.

It's not about the 76ers method...it's about building a team that has a future. This current team has no real future.

The players currently on this team, besides Davis, simply aren't going to be around long term.

I'd understand the moves if at least the moves had the ability to grow with Davis on this team long term. But they simply aren't going to be that...after next season. It's going to be all about how they can overhaul the roster making moves and signing players using the cap space opened up by Gordon leaving and cap increases...etc.

All you are basically saying is that...we can do anything and it's not bad because we pretty much have Davis locked in for 3 more years after next season because of the NBA rules...and that is a horribly low bar for a professional sports franchise.

It's not hard...the Pelicans have made shit decision after shit decision...that much we know.

What we don't know is whether or not it will matter long term because they might be able to still build around Davis because he's that good and it might not matter a ton 3 years from now.

But that doesn't make these moves good...it just means the Pelicans were lucky enough to get Davis. That's all.

I mean...you really gonna defend the Gordon and Evans contracts? Really? You gonna defend the Noel and a lottery pick for Holiday trade?

It doesn't really matter what happens in the future...those were shit moves and better moves and signing were clearly available.

notatop29pg
03-22-2015, 07:08 PM
You aren't responding any real counters. Correct, because as I said... the counters have all been said before, generally in one of your countless other threads about the moves.

It's not about the 76ers method...it's about building a team that has a future. This current team has no real future. What future are you looking for? A Dynasty or a Profitable Business?

The players currently on this team, besides Davis, simply aren't going to be around long term. Excellent, so the FO has built a competitive squad to keep the fans interest, and to keep Davis thinking they are playoff hopes while timing it all perfectly so that the dud players are gone and new potentially awesome ones are here by the time Davis is 26 and entering his prime?

I'd understand the moves if at least the moves had the ability to grow with Davis on this team long term. But they simply aren't going to be that...after next season. It's going to be all about how they can overhaul the roster making moves and signing players using the cap space opened up by Gordon leaving and cap increases...etc. Holiday will stay, he's not exactly 27 you know, build a competent small guy/big guy 1-2 punch surrounded by solid role players and you can compete. Gordon has served his purpose this season, he's had a career shooting year. He'll keep them competitive next season and will free up massive space when he leaves. Obviously he's the worst player of all time, so anything they sign with the space is an improvement on a team that is already competing for a playoff spot.

All you are basically saying is that...we can do anything and it's not bad because we pretty much have Davis locked in for 3 more years after next season because of the NBA rules...and that is a horribly low bar for a professional sports franchise. Not really, Davis is in the bank, so they can survive off him for a few years. His age has certainly bought some time for the club to get better. But again, what is the end goal for you? 1 ring in the next 10 years or 10?

It's not hard...the Pelicans have made shit decision after shit decision...that much we know.Its not hard? Do you own a Franchise? I think they took a chance on some young guys with potential, exactly the same thing teams that rebuild through the draft are doing. They just picked guys with a bit of time in the system behind them.

What we don't know is whether or not it will matter long term because they might be able to still build around Davis because he's that good and it might not matter a ton 3 years from now.Precisely. And i'm sure the Pels FO think the same thing.

But that doesn't make these moves good...it just means the Pelicans were lucky enough to get Davis. That's all.So if they all work out and they win a ring its just luck... but if they don't they are stupid. Right.

I mean...you really gonna defend the Gordon and Evans contracts? Really? You gonna defend the Noel and a lottery pick for Holiday trade?I don't need to defend them, I didn't make the moves. Gordon is a mistake, Evans is a break even and Holiday is a win for mine, as Noel is a very poor mans (broke actually) Davis, while Sarich or whatever still isn't even in the league and might not ever be. I'm sure someone will throw in Payton too.. how old is he compared to Jrue? Is he better?

It doesn't really matter what happens in the future...those were shit moves and better moves and signing were clearly available. Again you say this... you have decided so that is final? Nothing can change it? what is a pass mark for any team? playoffs? a ring? stockpiling 5+ 1st round picks?

Its all been said... but there it is again.

SwishSquared
03-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Pellies gave up Vasquez (one of the better backup PGs, no?) and two cheap years of Robin Lopez to overpay Tyreke Evans. They traded the draft rights to Noel + another lightly protected pick for Jrue, which in turn yielded the best young player in Europe (Saric), a future 76ers first, and Orlando's 2015 2nd round pick. Those two trades, mind you in hindsight, appear disastrous. It's very probable that they're losing a late lotto pick to Houston this year. Also, now they need to overpay Asik to keep him to justify losing that pick.They got too little in return for Lopez & Vasquez, have no picks until 2016 iirc, and have little depth lined up for next season. Not to mention they probably need a better coaching staff.

If Gordon picks up his player option and they re-sign Asik to a richer contract, then they'll have very little money leftover for free agency. And that will leave them with 6 guys on the roster, Norris Cole as a RFA, and have < $8M in cap space/room exception/min contracts to fill out up to 9 roster spots.

It seems fairly likely that Noel & Elfrid Payton, two guys that could be Pelicans, will both finish in top 4 for ROY voting. If Tyreke doesn't go nuts last season, by virtue of not having him on the roster, their draft position may have been better than around #10.

Not sure they'll have a great shot at playoffs next year, especially if Jazz keep improving. New Orleans is in a bad spot. Also, this ownership group has had boom/bust mentality for playoffs when they're in fairly bad financial straits. Second ownership in a row that can't really afford the team. At some point you gotta either get a group with enough $$$ or move team to somewhere that has the bankroll to build the team smartly and execute financially.

Milbuck
03-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Noel & Elfrid Payton, two guys that could be Pelicans
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Elf-AD-Noel is a championship trio in 2-3 years. Hell just Noel-Davis would be one of the filthiest big man duos in the game right now even in Noel's rookie year. Good god did NOLA screw that one up.

And to think I actually liked Holiday on the Pels at the time of the trade...

You Cant Ban Me
03-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Save the sleep for the second round :)
http://i.imgur.com/eFLZPOT.gif

SwishSquared
03-22-2015, 09:18 PM

Elf-AD-Noel is a championship trio in 2-3 years. Hell just Noel-Davis would be one of the filthiest big man duos in the game right now even in Noel's rookie year. Good god did NOLA screw that one up.

And to think I actually liked Holiday on the Pels at the time of the trade...I liked Jrue's fit on the Pellies, but I hated that trade for them. Noel's a historically great rookie on defense. I know advanced stats need to be taken with a grain of salt, but he's on cusp of being a top 10 defensive big based on stuff like DBPM/DRating/Rim Protection, if not already there. Sixers are 11th in defensive efficiency.

I'll also take a shot with a rookie deal Elfrid over Holliday making $11M/year, no offense to him. Hinkie turned NOP's 2014 first rounder into Payton and strong-armed Orlando to give up a second round pick, rights to Saric, and a future Philly pick they received in the Bynum/Howard/Iggy mega-deal to get Payton. Even if New Orleans kept him, they'd form an insanely long defensive trio. With Noel, they wouldn't have needed to trade for Asik. Had they better timed trades for Lopez & Vasquez or kept them, they would have had better depth.

Not to mention if they don't trade for Jrue or S&T for Evans, they could have helped GSW clear space for Iggy & gotten compensation. Utah did that and got Rodney Hood (looks like a decent rotation wing at least), plus a couple extra picks.

This front office did a bad job. No way to avoid saying that at this time. Maybe they have a stellar summer, if they have jobs...

DMAVS41
03-22-2015, 10:27 PM
Its all been said... but there it is again.

And those are awful responses.

Do you really not understand this?

Gordon - terrible contract and overpay
Asik - forced to give up first rounder for him...he is a free agent now
Evans - terrible fit and contract
Holiday - Noel and lottery pick...holy shit that is bad

They have traded away essentially 3 first round picks for players that aren't going to be on the roster in the future as this team builds around Davis...and if they are...it will likely be in a way to try and save face that the trades/moves made sense

The post above chronicles even more of these bad moves.

What is the measure? Making smart decisions that make sense and are logical. The Pelicans have obviously failed here.

Of course it will be luck if they win...they lucked into a freak of nature in Davis. Every other move has been a disaster. So the only thing they won on was the luck of getting to draft Davis. That took no skill or smarts. All the things they could actually control have been awful.

Well...I actually don't hate the Asik move, but they also had Vasquez, Lopez, and Aminu as well...got virtually nothing for any of them.

I don't know what you are even saying at this point. that you don't have to defend the moves because you didn't make them? well no shit, but you seem to take issue with people hammering this Pelicans franchise...so it seems like you think they made good moves.

But your counters really just boil down to..."we have Davis and nothing else matters"

But what you aren't getting is that Noel, a lottery pick, and another first rounder and a higher draft pick this year could be potentially championship changing issues....with loads of cap space and flexibility to boot.

The franchise you insist on defending chose to go with the shit roster they've created over that...all for probably like 3 to 5 more wins...and no exciting players outside of Davis.

It's been a huge fail to date...whether they turn it around this summer is undecided, but the last like 4 years have been awful

DMAVS41
03-22-2015, 10:29 PM

And to think I actually liked Holiday on the Pels at the time of the trade...

Yep.

that trade was horrid.

I thought it was bad at the time...I remember laughing so hard because I thought the Pelicans were the ones getting the pick and Holiday. At least that would have made sense.

But sending Noel (clearly of more value as an asset than Holiday) and a lottery pick to the sixers is one of the strangest/dumbest things I can remember.