PDA

View Full Version : James Harden's playoff performance is underrated.

RightToCensor
03-22-2015, 05:26 PM
http://i.gyazo.com/f44a7f72e8dbcd1ea5e46cd11cb3cb69.png

James Harden was a victim of a great player on a decent team that was a bad fit. Having to play along Jeremy Lin and Dwight Howard (world-renowned ball hogs) lessened Harden's impact in the series by keeping the ball away from him during big moments of the game (remember McHale going to Dwight down low the entire first half and the Rockets still ended up down by halftime even though he had like 20 or 30). Harden was being guarded by two of the best perimeter defenders in the Western Conference night in and night out, yet still proved to be an elite offensive player (proven by the Offensive Rating above).

This season, Harden has no other ball dominant player on his team that will take key possessions away from him during the playoffs (if Dwight sticks to the role of a lob catcher/rim protector). I'm predicting 30-5-7 on .600% TS.

I'm willing to bet anything James Harden will make it past the 2nd Round this season.

J Shuttlesworth
03-22-2015, 05:28 PM
His TS% in the playoffs is .583 on average

that's pretty damn good honestly. Similar to Lebron, higher than Westbrook

navy
03-22-2015, 05:30 PM
The ball was out of his hands because he wasnt doing shit with it. Check his shooting percentages and check everyone elses. only thing saving his ts% is free throws which he cant always rely on when the team needs a basket.
He even had the ball in the clutch and failed miserably. Looked lost at times.

to be fair, Lillard and ALdridge were going off and that wasnt exactly his fault.

No excuses.

Milbuck
03-22-2015, 05:31 PM
His TS% in the playoffs is .583 on average

that's pretty damn good honestly
Just goes to show why TS% has to be used with the eye test. As good as a stat may be there will always be instances where it fails completely.

Harden pissed himself on national television last postseason. Straight up filled the arena with his urine. Had the janitors working overtime for over a week straight.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5opMCgS5P5Q/U1Sr0AZXUoI/AAAAAAAAFaU/HFvYz3nr8wY/s1600/4.gif

DAT TS% DOE

Young X
03-22-2015, 05:31 PM
Not even a Harden hater but they were performing that well offensively in spite of him. Don't you remember how well Dwight was playing? He was even making clutch FT's. If Harden plays slightly below average they win that series.

J Shuttlesworth
03-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Just goes to show why TS% has to be used with the eye test. As good as a stat may be there will always be instances where it fails completely.

Harden pissed himself on national television last postseason. Straight up filled the arena with his urine. Had the janitors working overtime for over a week straight.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5opMCgS5P5Q/U1Sr0AZXUoI/AAAAAAAAFaU/HFvYz3nr8wY/s1600/4.gif

DAT TS% DOE
Ok? Chris Paul has done the same thing several times, even to a worse degree. Doesn't mean he's not a good playoffs performer.

I'm not saying Harden isn't worse in the PO's vs. RS, but the decline is overstated.

Milbuck
03-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Ok? Chris Paul has done the same thing several times, even to a worse degree. Doesn't mean he's not a good playoffs performer.

I'm not saying Harden isn't worse in the PO's vs. RS, but the decline is overstated.
CP3 has faced some of the most unfortunate competition out of any star in the league. He's made his share of mistakes but all in all he routinely elevates his game while his teammates disappear. Anyone who criticizes his playoff failures is blatantly neglecting context.

Whereas the Rockets lost last year solely because of Harden. He doesn't even have to elevate his game. He plays 95% of his regular season form and they beat Portland convincingly. His playoff decline is perfectly stated. Any other superstar like Lebron, prime Kobe, Durant, etc does what Harden does and they get DESTROYED for it, not like the minimal clowning Harden gets.

navy
03-22-2015, 05:39 PM

What are you talking about, people talk shit about Chris Paul all the time. :oldlol:

Harden has only been to the playoffs twice as a starter. I dont think it's fair to say anything conclusive about him.

He better show up this year though. ESPECIALLY if the wins MVP.

J Shuttlesworth
03-22-2015, 05:44 PM
What are you talking about, people talk shit about Chris Paul all the time. :oldlol:

Harden has only been to the playoffs twice as a starter. I dont think it's fair to say anything conclusive about him.

He better show up this year though. ESPECIALLY if the wins MVP.
I'm not saying people don't talk shit on Chris Paul, but I wouldn't call CP3 a bad playoffs performer despite the chokes.

This could be a glimpse of how Harden is in the playoffs in the clutch though :

http://streamable.com/ezoz

I hope not, but could happen.

If they face the Spurs, guaranteed first round exit though :(

RightToCensor
03-22-2015, 05:45 PM
All that gif shows is a rookie Terrence Jones failing to separate himself from his own teammate after a pick and roll. Why is he following Harden?

Why didn't he cut hard to the basket rather than stop next to him then drift into a position he's not even able to receive a pass?
Why didn't he stretch back to the three point line?
Why do you run a pick and roll to Harden's off hand with a average three point shooter on the strong side of the play?
Why is Garcia half assing any attempt to free himself from Lillard?

So many questions about that play, none of them are Harden's fault.

navy
03-22-2015, 05:46 PM
I'm not saying people don't talk shit on Chris Paul, but I wouldn't call CP3 a bad playoffs performer despite the chokes.

Like I said. If people talk shit about other stars, they are sure as hell gonna talk shit about Harden. Ts% be damned. I better see some mid 40% raw fg%.

aj1987
03-22-2015, 05:48 PM
http://i.gyazo.com/f44a7f72e8dbcd1ea5e46cd11cb3cb69.png

James Harden was a victim of a great player on a decent team that was a bad fit. Having to play along Jeremy Lin and Dwight Howard (world-renowned ball hogs) lessened Harden's impact in the series by keeping the ball away from him during big moments of the game (remember McHale going to Dwight down low the entire first half and the Rockets still ended up down by halftime even though he had like 20 or 30). Harden was being guarded by two of the best perimeter defenders in the Western Conference night in and night out, yet still proved to be an elite offensive player (proven by the Offensive Rating above).

This season, Harden has no other ball dominant player on his team that will take key possessions away from him during the playoffs (if Dwight sticks to the role of a lob catcher/rim protector). I'm predicting 30-5-7 on .600% TS.

I'm willing to bet anything James Harden will make it past the 2nd Round this season.
Can you post the on-off DRtg?

RightToCensor
03-22-2015, 05:49 PM

Don't you see the problem in that video? Harden is moving in slow motion. He's tired.

He leads the league in minutes played as well as only missing one game all season (suspended). He just came off a 50 point game and comes into a game vs. Phoenix spent. I hope he gets some rest before the playoffs. I wouldn't mind him missing a couple games with Dwight is back just to he can get himself physically ready for playoff time.

RightToCensor
03-22-2015, 05:51 PM
Can you post the on-off DRtg?
The site doesn't show DRtg, but they do show the opponents's ORtg w/ Harden on and off the floor.

http://i.gyazo.com/24540faaeaa99e0a1b52519bed98a12a.png

DMAVS41
03-22-2015, 05:53 PM
not really...he's done nothing of note since the finals in 12...in which he was awful in.

he's played two playoff series at good but not great clips in which he saw his team last year kind of fall apart...doubly bad for him considering Howard was a monster in that series.

He hasn't been bad or anything, but he hasn't done anything remotely special either.

dubeta
CP3 has faced some of the most unfortunate competition out of any star in the league. He's made his share of mistakes but all in all he routinely elevates his game while his teammates disappear. Anyone who criticizes his playoff failures is blatantly neglecting context.

Whereas the Rockets lost last year solely because of Harden. He doesn't even have to elevate his game. He plays 95% of his regular season form and they beat Portland convincingly. His playoff decline is perfectly stated. Any other superstar like Lebron, prime Kobe, Durant, etc does what Harden does and they get DESTROYED for it, not like the minimal clowning Harden gets.

LOL what? Durant played much worse against Memphis in both 2013 and 2014 and its almost like people forgot about that.

StephHamann
Ok? Chris Paul has done the same thing several times, even to a worse degree. Does this mean he's not a good playoffs performer?

Yes

RightToCensor
03-22-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm glad I finally ended this debate. It needed to be said.

navy
03-22-2015, 07:13 PM
Finish this sentence: James Harden will lose in the _______ Round

RightToCensor
03-22-2015, 07:15 PM
3rd or 4th with a healthy Dwight.

knicksman
03-22-2015, 07:21 PM
He didnt trust his teammates at the start of the series tho. And when he finally did, lilard hit the gamewinner.

RightToCensor
03-22-2015, 07:24 PM
He didnt trust his teammates at the start of the series tho. And when he finally did, lilard hit the gamewinner.
This team doesn't/shouldn't have ran through Dwight. His post game completely negates everyone on the perimeter, that's why Dwight's best game of the series ended up a lost.

Milbuck
03-22-2015, 07:27 PM
This team doesn't/shouldn't have ran through Dwight. His post game completely negates everyone on the perimeter, that's why Dwight's best game of the series ended up a lost.
So Dwight putting up 32/14 on 59% FG with 4 blocks and 6/7 FT is what caused Harden to put up 18/3/4 on 32% FG?

RightToCensor
03-22-2015, 07:34 PM
So Dwight putting up 32/14 on 59% FG with 4 blocks and 6/7 FT is what caused Harden to put up 18/3/4 on 32% FG?
It caused them to lose. That's the bottom line.

Dwight put up a monster statline during halftime of Game 2 and Houston was still down. Kenny Smith was pointing out how this isn't how the Rockets play and how if neglects Harden's impact on the offense. Barkley and Shaq were left looking like idiots about how Dwight needed to request the ball more only to see his team losing in the process.

Dwight's +/- that game was 0.

Artillery
03-23-2015, 12:55 AM

DAT TS% DOE

TS% isn't flawed, just needs some context in this case.

.614 - Harden's playoff TS% on the Thunder
.533 - Harden's playoff TS% as a Rocket

He was highly efficient in his role as a 3rd option on the Thunder. Has been pretty shitty as a first option on the Rockets though. Last year, for example, he shot .519 TS in the playoffs. Awful. This year's playoffs will tell a lot about his ability to carry a team as a first option scorer in the post-season.