PDA

View Full Version : Reason 2943840 why MJ is GOAT

andgar923
03-22-2015, 08:22 PM
https://youtu.be/IFiqeJcgXfg
https://youtu.be/meL62CUehuw

Pip gets TONS of praise for his pressure defense on Mark Jackson in the conference finals. A slow footed, non athletic threat.

Yet MJ carries the entire load offensively and he does THIS. Absolutely put the clamps on GP. Sure they went on to lose this game, but they won the series, and largely to MJ's defense.

Pip is a great defender, but MJ is well known to be the stopper. MJ gets underrated when it comes to his job on the defensive end when compared to Pip. But people don't realize how much work MJ puts on the defensive end, because they only see the offensive side.

MJ is a BEAST defensively, that nobody can touch.

Cut this Lebron mess, there is no other defensive wing that's better... bar none.

From Miller, to Clyde, to Hill, to anybody of the top wing players. MJ would put the clamps down like no other.

You Cant Ban Me
03-22-2015, 08:23 PM
goat gonna goat https://fortheloveofmusicblogdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/1389349124_1gdp5sr_deg0.gif

J Shuttlesworth
03-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Nobody here really thinks LeBron is better than Jordan. The only reason it's a discussion is because 3ball constantly compares the two

beastee
03-22-2015, 08:28 PM
Nobody here really thinks LeBron is better than Jordan. The only reason it's a discussion is because 3ball constantly compares the two
Yeah, Im a Jordan stan, but I realize all the trolling and stay out of it. The book on LBJ isn't over, but he would need a hell of 3-4 year run to catch the GOAT.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-22-2015, 08:28 PM

He's incredibly insecure, he may be the only poster here who has even entertained the notion that LeBron is better than Jordan. I don't know what else could be sparking his incessant comparisons that try to prove something no one is arguing against.

The only posters who argue LeBron > Jordan are trolls (dubeta, Dragic4Life, JT123, etc.).

Spurs5Rings2014
03-22-2015, 11:17 PM
He's incredibly insecure, he may be the only poster here who has even entertained the notion that LeBron is better than Jordan. I don't know what else could be sparking his incessant comparisons that try to prove something no one is arguing against.

The only posters who argue LeBron > Jordan are trolls (dubeta, Dragic4Life, JT123, etc.).

3ball is clearly a more advanced LeBron troll/Jordan hater than the other three (one?) as his motive is to make everyone hate Jordan through unparalleled fanboyism and dick ridery to the point that posters will have no choice but to 'go against the grain' so to speak. It hasn't worked thus far, though, as everyone sees him for what he is and honestly no amount of advanced trolling algorithms are a match for the undisputed greatest player of all time.

:no:

Kblaze8855
03-22-2015, 11:40 PM
But people don't realize how much work MJ puts on the defensive end, because they only see the offensive side.

People have been saying that for over 25 years now.

It might have been true in 1987. Now?

Michael Jordans defense alone gets talked about more than many legends get mentioned in any way.

Im not sure anything has been underrated about Jordan for years. You have thousands of people who never saw him defending aspects of his game they are clueless about.

Maybe aspects of his shooting are underrated. If so...thats about it. He has been pretty well covered and given his due respect to the extent that people denigrate most other legends to make Jordan look better when his game stands tall enough on its on.

andgar923
03-23-2015, 12:10 AM
People have been saying that for over 25 years now.

It might have been true in 1987. Now?

Michael Jordans defense alone gets talked about more than many legends get mentioned in any way.

Im not sure anything has been underrated about Jordan for years. You have thousands of people who never saw him defending aspects of his game they are clueless about.

Maybe aspects of his shooting are underrated. If so...thats about it. He has been pretty well covered and given his due respect to the extent that people denigrate most other legends to make Jordan look better when his game stands tall enough on its on.

Reason I even mentioned he gets underrated is because people always assume Pip did the heavy load defensively.

People also compare Bron, Kobe and even Wade on the defensive end.

Trolls or stans, it doesn't matter the comparisons are made. People love to praise Pip and usually throw out the "Pip stopped Magic in the Finals!!!" and the "Bulls won vs the Pacers in 98 because of Pip's defense on Mark". Those are a few examples that are usually used and people run with them, not realizing that MJ had the tougher assignments. They'll simply look at the stats sheet and say "well MJ had a bad series because he only scored x amount of points and had a low fg%"

Shit like that gets stated all the time and it's just accepted as fact over time.

Yeah, people use throw away comments like "MJ is a great defender" but most don't truly grasp or appreciate how great he actually was. What's more amazing is the amount of energy he spent on defense. He's stated that he actually conserved energy on offense and focused most of his energy defensively. But yet shit like that gets overlooked by many.

If Im preaching to the choir that aint my intention, Im preaching to those that aint. Those that know KNOW, but most don't.

3ball
03-23-2015, 12:14 AM
As a SG, it was standard for MJ to guard point guards, so people never made a big deal about it.

It wasn't some sort of one-off thing like it was for Lebron, where everyone made a big deal because it never normally happened.

Micku
03-23-2015, 12:22 AM
I don't think there is a lot of MJ "lockdown" vids on youtube? I remember watching only a couple.

I was in awe of his help defense back in the 87 or 86? I remember watching some recorded game a year back, and MJ was all over the place. I wann'a say it was the Celtics, but I don't remember anymore. He was one of the best at playing the passing lane and getting back on D like it never happened and he knows when to double team and get back.

While ppl to like to mention MJ defense, I don't think they like to mention the examples of it. I don't know if there is an in depth video out there that just analysis MJ defense on a series or not. It would be pretty interesting to see.

andgar923
03-23-2015, 12:30 AM
I don't think there isn't a lot of MJ "lockdown" vids on youtube? I remember watching only a couple.

I was in awe of his help defense back in the 87 or 86? I remember watching some recorded game a year back, and MJ was all over the place. I wann'a say it was the Celtics, but I don't remember anymore. He was one of the best at playing the passing lane and getting back on D like it never happened and he knows when to double team and get back.

While ppl to like to mention MJ defense, I don't think they like to mention the examples of it. I don't know if there is an in depth video out there that just analysis MJ defense on a series or not. It would be pretty interesting to see.

That's part of the problem.

There isn't videos that show it, and unfortunately most people won't know unless they really payed attention while it happened. And honestly I didn't remember how impressive he was. I watched it live, but defense isn't something that's obvious at first at times, specially in that era. Today it's easier to tell because there's a lot more one on one, it's front and center. But you see MJ going through multiple screens, you see him rotating, ball denial and those are things that you won't see unless you're looking for it.

I've always wanted to make these kinds of vids. Vids that illustrate MJ's entire defensive possession like these vids did. We've seen the 'highlight' plays but not the grit of it, all the hard work that's put in. I seriously got exhausted watching him play defense like that, and you could see how his pressure got to the players he was defending. We've always heard how opposing teams were always worried of MJ defensively and we could see why they were. He'd rotate then go back to his man, fight off a screen and come to help, always active.

I value these type of vids more because Im a defense guy. This is textbook footwork, but more importantly 'determination'. I always tell people that defense is 90% determination, the rest is IQ and athleticism. Without determination to play defense everything is moot.

Kblaze8855
03-23-2015, 12:39 AM
There are youtube videos on the top 10 defensive plays from individual Jordan seasons over 25 years ago.

Hes...quite well represented.

What you seem to be looking for is rare for anyone.

Having done similar things(convert VHS and search hours of tape to make videos out of 5 second clips) I can assure you....its a fairly monumental effort to do anything like that of length.

andgar923
03-23-2015, 12:43 AM
There are youtube videos on the top 10 defensive plays from individual Jordan seasons over 25 years ago.

Having done similar things(convert VHS and search hours of tape to make videos out of 5 second clips) I can assure you....its a fairly monumental effort to do anything like that of length.

Oh I know.

It's time consuming, and tests one's patience.

Micku
03-23-2015, 12:49 AM

Which is why to me it is shocking that no one really has done a in depth defensive vid of him before.

I've seen highlights like top 10 defensive plays, top offensive plays, shots and etc. But I've also seen...30 minutes videos of his footwork and post moves. Videos explaining how he quickly he react to defense, double teams and etc. There's some videos exhibiting his passing skills. There some videos go in depth on the Pistons and the Knicks defense on him.

The only thing that's lacking is how awesome his defense is. Like you said, it'll take a a lot of effort to do and the demand for it might not be very high. I do think there are some footage out there that ppl never really paid attention to, especially from the games that I seen.

To be fair, I haven't looked in a while. Apparently there are some vids that show his defense this year, so maybe it'll start coming around.

ArbitraryWater
03-23-2015, 09:16 AM
Which is why to me it is shocking that no one really has done a in depth defensive vid of him before.

I've seen highlights like top 10 defensive plays, top offensive plays, shots and etc. But I've also seen...30 minutes videos of his footwork and post moves. Videos explaining how he quickly he react to defense, double teams and etc. There's some videos exhibiting his passing skills. There some videos go in depth on the Pistons and the Knicks defense on him.

The only thing that's lacking is how awesome his defense is. Like you said, it'll take a a lot of effort to do and the demand for it might not be very high. I do think there are some footage out there that ppl never really paid attention to, especially from the games that I seen.

To be fair, I haven't looked in a while. Apparently there are some vids that show his defense this year, so maybe it'll start coming around.

This... I wanna see this.. finally.

3ball?

OldSchoolBBall
03-23-2015, 01:07 PM
The play at 7:50 of the first video is one of my fave defensive plays by MJ that series, and really shows what a terror he was as a help defender. Completely reads Kemp's baseline spin, cuts him off, and strips him clean.

Papaya Petee
03-23-2015, 04:40 PM
People talk about how great Jordans defense was all the time...

Reason people talk about Pippens defense its because that was what he was best at, with passing being his second best feature.

Jordans best feature was his scoring (GOAT scorer) and his man to man defense was his second best feature. Hence why Pippens defense gets brought up more.