PDA

View Full Version : MVP is joke award

ScarSymmetry
03-23-2015, 05:54 AM
For at least 2 reasons.

1 - Media vote.

2 - If it really was "Most Valuable Player", only Harden and Westbrook should be considered. All this "need to be top seed" is utter BS.

LeBron would be a close third I will grant that, as he has helped carry two bitch stars that have never made the playoffs.

Curry is having a great year, but the others are much more valuable for their team in the circumstances of the season.

Bigsmoke
03-23-2015, 05:59 AM
Its not like they pick the winners out of a hat

theaussieguy
03-23-2015, 06:13 AM
yeah the fact its a media voted award instantly makes it a joke. The reality is in every season you are going to have multiple people who have an argument for it, and thats why you cannot compare players on how many MVP's they won, as well as many other accolades because most of the time it comes down to opinion or how you analyzed the statistics.

I<3NBA
03-23-2015, 06:29 AM
there was a comparison made on the years players voted vs the survey done for media. aside from a couple of years, most results were the same.

if you polled the players and coaches now, they'd vote for the same players media would vote for.

Ancient Legend
03-23-2015, 07:30 AM
The difference for the Warriors has been Kerr, not Curry...

I would make an exception and vote for Westbrook for MVP if OKC make the playoffs.

1-WB
2-LeBron
3-Harden
4-Curry

BlakFrankWhite
03-23-2015, 07:32 AM

I would make an exception and vote for Westbrook for MVP if OKC make the playoffs.

1-WB
2-LeBron
3-Harden
4-Curry

:applause:

SillyRabbit
03-23-2015, 08:49 AM

1-WB
2-LeBron
3-Harden
4-Curry
So much this.

Curry is a good player but he is not the Most Valuable Player in the league.

pauk
03-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Your game has to translate to wins.... unfortunately...

Prime_Shaq
03-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Warriors have a 0% winrate without Curry this year.

RightTwoCensor
03-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Warriors have a 0% winrate without Curry this year.
So do the Rockets with James Harden, your point?

Prime_Shaq
03-23-2015, 09:36 AM
So do the Rockets with James Harden, your point?
That's why they are top 2 in the MVP race.

Orlando Magic
03-23-2015, 09:42 AM
For at least 2 reasons.

1 - Media vote.

2 - If it really was "Most Valuable Player", only Harden and Westbrook should be considered. All this "need to be top seed" is utter BS.

LeBron would be a close third I will grant that, as he has helped carry two bitch stars that have never made the playoffs.

Curry is having a great year, but the others are much more valuable for their team in the circumstances of the season.

I was with you up until the point that you implied/stated that LeBron is less valuable than Westbrook and Harden, hahahahahaha.

Wow. This board never ceases to amaze me.

nathanjizzle
03-23-2015, 10:40 AM
so if the the "most valuable player" award was based on the opinions of a random poster on ish, would it be more credible?

yes its a "media" award, but the sports writers that vote are pretty intelligent and in the loop about which players are doing what in the league. they have a much better perspective than anyone, even nba players, of whos performing at what level in the league, because you know, its their job, to follow sports.

threads like these always expose whos ignorant.

John Tesh
03-23-2015, 10:57 AM
Make it player/coach vote.

greatest-ever
03-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Yeah i don't put a ton of weight into players winning mvp. The fact that Rose has the same number as both Shaq and Kobe, and more than Wade is a joke. They really don't go by who's literally most valuable they typically go with the best player on one of the top teams, they don't take supporting cast into consideration at all.

No way that Curry should win over Harden, he is the better player but Harden has much less help and is the 2-3 seed.

stalkerforlife
03-23-2015, 11:00 AM
Of course the MVP award is a joke.

Kobe has been the best player for a decade, should have 4-5 MVP awards.

gts
03-23-2015, 11:25 AM
Yeah i don't put a ton of weight into players winning mvp. The fact that Rose has the same number as both Shaq and Kobe, and more than Wade is a joke. They really don't go by who's literally most valuable they typically go with the best player on one of the top teams, they don't take supporting cast into consideration at all.

No way that Curry should win over Harden, he is the better player but Harden has much less help and is the 2-3 seed.

you can't penalize a player because he has good teammates...

if you do play that card where do you stop? you say you can't give it to Curry because he has good teammates. next guy will say can't give it to Harden, his teammates are better than AD's and so on and so on down the line you go until the only guy who fits the bill is leading a 10-72 lottery team in assists...

Chadwin
03-23-2015, 12:05 PM
what it should be:

the best player with the worst team that makes the playoffs

CarlosBoozer
03-23-2015, 12:10 PM
what it should be:

So.. Harden? :confusedshrug:

Chadwin
03-23-2015, 12:13 PM
So.. Harden? :confusedshrug:

or Westbrook if you don't think he's missed too many games

iamgine
03-23-2015, 12:13 PM
It's really the best. Players and coaches voting would be worse.

gts
03-23-2015, 12:15 PM
what it should be:

Al Jefferson fan? :lol

Chadwin
03-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Al Jefferson fan? :lol

no

T_L_P
03-23-2015, 12:26 PM

1-WB
2-LeBron
3-Harden
4-Curry

Curry on the floor (2205 mins): +16.8
Off the floor (1117 mins): -0.8

0-2 without him

Yeah, it's definitely Kerr.

:oldlol: Thinking the NBA is anything but a player's league.

f0und
03-23-2015, 12:29 PM
It's really the best. Players and coaches voting would be worse.

dont see why it cant be all three, instead of just exclusively media voting.

midatlantic09
03-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Your game has to translate to wins.... unfortunately...

If that's the case, Anthony Davis is far more valuable than Steph Curry. New Orleans would probably be 20-50 right now instead of 37-33 if not for Davis.

midatlantic09
03-23-2015, 12:40 PM
MVP vote should only involve players and coaches. Media voting makes zero sense to me, especially since 80% of those guys probably have never even played/coached basketball at any level beyond maybe high school. Doesn't make sense to have a bunch of Microsoft Word/English lit. gurus deciding the NBA MVP award.

gts
03-23-2015, 01:37 PM
MVP vote should only involve players and coaches. Media voting makes zero sense to me, especially since 80% of those guys probably have never even played/coached basketball at any level beyond maybe high school. Doesn't make sense to have a bunch of Microsoft Word/English lit. gurus deciding the NBA MVP award.I used to think the same way but have kind of accepted the way it's done today.. the award is for the player obviously but it's also for the fans.. the players have a different view of the game that might not translate to what fans think whereas reporters have more of the fans view in mind or a better grasp on the pulse of the NBA

Ill also add that reporters probably watch a lot more basketball than players do

all that being said, I'd like to see a MVP vote by media, players and coaches...

Get rid of the domination by the big sports coverage groups like Disney/Hearst... I did a breakdown on last years voters and they had something like 25% of the MVP votes.. Fox Sports had another huge chunk nearly as big and Comcast a sizable group themselves

Break that up, lose some of the media guys and replace them with players and coaches

John Tesh
03-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Curry on the floor (2205 mins): +16.8
Off the floor (1117 mins): -0.8

0-2 without him

Yeah, it's definitely Kerr.

:oldlol: Thinking the NBA is anything but a player's league.

Yeah, it is silly that people don't think he is a worthy candidate.

Rooster
03-23-2015, 03:58 PM
there was a comparison made on the years players voted vs the survey done for media. aside from a couple of years, most results were the same.

if you polled the players and coaches now, they'd vote for the same players media would vote for.

BS. Shaq would have won at least 4 MVPs if the players voted on it. The media tends to give to the one who exceeded the expectation the most, along with the team record. When players voted on it, Kareem won it even with the losing record.

ScarSymmetry
03-23-2015, 06:10 PM
I was with you up until the point that you implied/stated that LeBron is less valuable than Westbrook and Harden, hahahahahaha.

Wow. This board never ceases to amaze me.

No I implied that they have been more valuable because they are both the single reason their teams are even in the playoff hunt.

You will always be amazed when you are a dumb c%unt mate.

:oldlol:

clipps
03-23-2015, 06:45 PM
I guess everyone is pretending that Chris Paul makes zero impact on the Clippers.

Badazzwriter
03-23-2015, 07:06 PM
Of course the MVP award is a joke.

Kobe has been the best player for a decade, should have 4-5 MVP awards.
:applause: