PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying a stat/play (or maybe it isn't even a stat):

CavaliersFTW
03-23-2015, 07:31 PM
The play isn't up online so I have to describe it.

Offensive team takes and misses a shot and the rebound falls nowhere near anyone so 2 opposing players chase after it, offensive player and defensive. The ball is about to go out of bounds and the defensive player happens to have caught up to it first, he does that playground trick where he throws it into the feet of the offensive player and it goes off the offensive players feet and out of bounds.

What does that defensive player get credited with for such a play? Is that a rebound? Is that a steal? Is it anything at all? His team now gained possession of the ball but they'll be passing it in bounds.

Mass Debator
03-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Common sense tells me that it is a rebound since it was off a shot attempt.

If it was off a pass without a deflection, I'll assume that it's just a turnover by the offensive player. (bad pass)

CavaliersFTW
03-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Okay thanks, my initial reaction is that it is a rebound as well, but it's definitely an unorthodox way to be credited with a rebound.

If anyone disagrees speak up now, otherwise I'm going to upload some more highlights and I'll have credited that type of play as a "rebound".

gts
03-23-2015, 08:16 PM
not sure.... loose ball? team rebound? if one of the players ran into the other player or fouled the other in any way it would be a loose ball foul... good question.. when does a rebound become something else?

LAZERUSS
03-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Off topic, but interesting, as well...

Someone here...can't remember who, or when...mentioned that missed FGAs in which the shooter was fouled, ...counted as a FGA back in the 60's (and likely before, and perhaps sometime after.) I honestly can't remember that. I do remember that all missed FTAs counted, even if they were missed in a bonus.

Maybe someone can shed some light on that. Because if that was the case, that might help explain why shooting was considerably lower in that era.

CavaliersFTW
03-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Actually upon further analysis of the play (I don't know how I missed this the first time) the player driving in for the shot switched from an attempted shot to an attempted pass.

The defensive player who did the playground "save" actually is the one who initially deflected said pass, before he started chasing it and attempted the playground save. So actually, I'm pretty sure it counts as a steal?

CavaliersFTW
03-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Off topic, but interesting, as well...

Someone here...can't remember who, or when...mentioned that missed FGAs in which the shooter was fouled, ...counted as a FGA back in the 60's (and likely before, and perhaps sometime after.) I honestly can't remember that. I do remember that all missed FTAs counted, even if they were missed in a bonus.

Maybe someone can shed some light on that. Because if that was the case, that might help explain why shooting was considerably lower in that era.
I don't believe that's true, might have just been someone's hunch. From what I can see if you are fouled going into a shot you just got sent to the line, just like today, and if it happened to go on sometimes they'd count it. But if it didn't go in it wasn't held against you as far as I can tell.

qrich
03-23-2015, 08:26 PM
Initial situation, I believe it would be considered a team rebound.

Second one, I think it'd count as a bad pass, though, I could see a steal.

CavaliersFTW
03-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Initial situation, I believe it would be considered a team rebound.

Second one, I think it'd count as a bad pass, though, I could see a steal.
In the second situation that I mentioned, the player who saved the ball from going out is the same player who deflected the pass. I think if you deflect the pass it's a steal. He did the playground move afterwards to save possession because if he hadn't, the ball would have been out on him so I think it was a steal - he deflected the ball in the passing lane and gained possession.

At least I think it's a steal. It's obviously not a play that happens often so it's hard to tell.