PDA

View Full Version : Prime Latrell Sprewell in today's NBA??

Lebron23
03-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Will he be a top 3 shooting guard in today's NBA??

http://letsgowarriors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/20140211_sprewell-allstar_latrell1.jpg

http://www.knicks.republika.pl/photos/sprewell1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjLXF4MiY44

TheMarkMadsen
03-23-2015, 09:48 PM
DNP - choked out the coach

chocolatethunder
03-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Well he couldn't dribble to save his life and he couldn't shoot well so I would say no, he wouldn't be top three in the NBA today. He could play D and he ran the floor great but that's about it.

IGOTGAME
03-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Well he couldn't dribble to save his life and he couldn't shoot well so I would say no, he wouldn't be top three in the NBA today. He could play D and he ran the floor great but that's about it.

He'd be a good slasher, especially with the ball movement today. I see him as a top 10-15 player.

warriorfan
03-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Around 3rd best. Thompson is better, Harden is better. He would be like a Jimmy Butler with a shitty attitude.

IGOTGAME
03-23-2015, 09:56 PM
Around 3rd best. Thompson is better, Harden is better. He would be like a Jimmy Butler with a shitty attitude.

I'd take Spreewell over Thompson.

warriorfan
03-23-2015, 10:07 PM
I'd take Spreewell over Thompson.

Thompson is just as good as a defender or better. Thompson is a better scorer. Spreewell is a better distributor. It's close but I will take Thompson.

Rake2204
03-23-2015, 10:15 PM
Imagining Russell Westbrook and Latrell Sprewell in the same backcourt... there would be so much anger.

IGOTGAME
03-23-2015, 10:15 PM
Thompson is just as good as a defender or better. Thompson is a better scorer. Spreewell is a better distributor. It's close but I will take Thompson.

I def disagree with the bolded. im not as high on his defense as everyone else is...

warriorfan
03-23-2015, 10:18 PM
I def disagree with the bolded. im not as high on his defense as everyone else is...

I don't know how many warrior games you catch but I'll let you in on a little secret, Klay Thompson's defense is extremely legit.

IGOTGAME
03-23-2015, 10:30 PM
I don't know how many warrior games you catch but I'll let you in on a little secret, Klay Thompson's defense is extremely legit.

I've watched enough. We'll see in the playoffs. Im the type of guy that looks for impactful defense when it matters on good players. I've always thought Klays D was overrated, even old Kobe right before the Achilles innjury would score on him like it was nothing.

He is a really good defender with good athleticism and is smart. But, he isn't Spreewell or other defenders of that quality. There are levels to this stuff and there are several levels above Klay on the perimeter.

JimmyMcAdocious
03-23-2015, 10:31 PM
I don't think Klay is elite or anything, but I think the hype for his defense came because he did a decent job on CP3 in the playoffs. Or that's when I remember it starting.

IGOTGAME
03-23-2015, 10:34 PM
I don't think Klay is elite or anything, but I think the hype for his defense came because he did a decent job on CP3 in the playoffs. Or that's when I remember it starting.

I remember CP3 being hurt and limping around playing on an overmatched team. The hype started before that.

20Four
03-23-2015, 10:35 PM
better than leBRONZE

warriorfan
03-23-2015, 10:45 PM
I've watched enough. We'll see in the playoffs. Im the type of guy that looks for impactful defense when it matters on good players. I've always thought Klays D was overrated, even old Kobe right before the Achilles innjury would score on him like it was nothing.

He is a really good defender with good athleticism and is smart. But, he isn't Spreewell or other defenders of that quality. There are levels to this stuff and there are several levels above Klay on the perimeter.

Harden vs GSW this year.

11/8/2014 22points/7reb/7assit/5TO 8/24 FG% .333 FT 5/6

01/7/2015 12points/4reb/4assist/3TO 4/15 FG% .267 FT 4/7

Thompson was covering him both games. Shut him down.

AboutBuckets
03-23-2015, 10:51 PM

A mop bucket could do a decent job on CP3 when it comes to the playoffs

IGOTGAME
03-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Harden vs GSW this year.

I've seen the box scores. I'll check him out in the playoffs. I just have too many flashbacks of Kobe blowing by him like he was JR Smith or OJ Mayo back in 2013. But he has gotten better since then....just dont know if id take his defense over Spreewell

NBAplayoffs2001
03-23-2015, 10:55 PM
I've seen the box scores. I'll check him out in the playoffs. I just have too many flashbacks of Kobe blowing by him like he was JR Smith or OJ Mayo back in 2013. But he has gotten better since then....just dont know if id take his defense over Spreewell

35 year old Kobe blowing by him.... Harden is no superstar with that defense.

AussieG
03-23-2015, 10:56 PM
The main thing I remember about Sprewell is clashing with PJ Carlisimo in NY.

Other than that can't remember much about his game (worth remembering).

chocolatethunder
03-23-2015, 11:06 PM
He'd be a good slasher, especially with the ball movement today. I see him as a top 10-15 player.
If that's how you see him, I think you need some glasses

Finger Roll
03-23-2015, 11:09 PM
Saw a kid at my gym today wearing some brand new looking Sprewell spinner shoes.

One of my buddies used to have 3 or 4 pairs back in the day :lol

bizil
03-23-2015, 11:52 PM
Spree would be the third best SG in the L right now. And in the all around sense, slightly over Harden as the best due to the defense. Klay is a great two way guard, but Spree was a better passer.

j3lademaster
03-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Better Corey Brewer with some nice passing ability. Most likely 3rd best sg in today's game.

3ball
03-24-2015, 05:05 AM
Spree would be the third best SG in the L right now. And in the all around sense, slightly over Harden as the best due to the defense. Klay is a great two way guard, but Spree was a better passer.

Agreed - Spree was easily the better passer/playmaker and he was also a superior scorer and shooter on all shots inside 16 feet - he shot 39% from 3-10 feet and 41% from 10-16 feet, compared to 32% and 39% for Klay - and only 20% of Klay's shots are from these distances (3-16 feet), compared to 32% for Spree..

So even without the eye test, the stats prove Spree's in-between skills and shooting were superior to Klay's.

Regarding shots at-the-rim (0-3 feet), bballref shows that Klay shoots better than Spree, but he also shoots better than Kobe and McGrady used to as well.. Klay's higher at-rim percentages are part of an ACROSS THE BOARD increase in at-rim percentages that occurred in 2011 and 2012 due to the latest advances in floor-spacing strategy introduced by the Mavs (this is actually a fact - in 2011, Carlisle was the innovator that introduced the league to the LATEST floor-spacing strategy that we see used today by all teams.. it was a big factor that helped them outscore Miami to win the championship.. yes i know, Bron's 17 PPG was THE primary factor for Miami's inept offense.. but since the Mavs won, nearly everyone's at-rim percentages are significantly up).

sportjames23
03-24-2015, 05:16 AM
The main thing I remember about Sprewell is clashing with PJ Carlisimo in NY.

Other than that can't remember much about his game (worth remembering).

It was in Golden State. Spree got traded to NY after he choked out PJ.

warriorfan
03-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Agreed - Spree was easily the better passer/playmaker and he was also a superior scorer and shooter on all shots inside 16 feet - he shot 39% from 3-10 feet and 41% from 10-16 feet, compared to 32% and 39% for Klay - and only 20% of Klay's shots are from these distances (3-16 feet), compared to 32% for Spree..

So even without the eye test, the stats prove Spree's in-between skills and shooting were superior to Klay's.

Regarding shots at-the-rim (0-3 feet), bballref shows that Klay shoots better than Spree, but he also shoots better than Kobe and McGrady used to as well.. Klay's higher at-rim percentages are part of an ACROSS THE BOARD increase in at-rim percentages that occurred in 2011 and 2012 due to the latest advances in floor-spacing strategy introduced by the Mavs (this is actually a fact - in 2011, Carlisle was the innovator that introduced the league to the LATEST floor-spacing strategy that we see used today by all teams.. it was a big factor that helped them outscore Miami to win the championship.. yes i know, Bron's 17 PPG was THE primary factor for Miami's inept offense.. but since the Mavs won, nearly everyone's at-rim percentages are significantly up).

Spree has better midrange game I'll give you that. Klay finishes better at the rim due to rule changes that Spree didn't get to exploit, I'll give you that. As you know modern day NBA emphasizes the 3's efficiency and spacing and it's hands down that Klay shoots the 3 better than spree. They are comparable on all aspects except spree gives better midrange and at the rim while Thompson gives better 3 point range and in my opinion better defense. It's close but I still give Klay Thompson the edge by a notch.

Bless Mathews
03-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Spree would mash on these fools today.

Straight mash.

Have em shook from the tip.

sportjames23
03-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Spree would mash on these fools today.

Straight mash.

Have em shook from the tip.

Lebron wouldn't be the only choker in the league. :oldlol:

imdaman99
03-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Loved Spree when he was on the Knicks, played with heart and passion and anger rolled into one. Him + Houston + LJ + Camby was enough to make a run to the Finals, unfortunately not enough as Duncan became the best player in the game by them and unstoppable.

That being said, he had his limitations. He wasn't the best half-court player. He would be the 1st or 2nd best SG in the league because Harden is still a liability on defense and Klay Thompson gets birdfed all his points according to my dear friend You Can't Ban Me.

imnew09
03-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Harden vs GSW this year.

You mean Refs shut down harden? Notice the freethrows attempt...

20Four
03-24-2015, 11:45 AM
I see what you did there LMAO

Spreewell chokes his coaches, while leBRONZE chokes in games in general

Sarcastic
03-24-2015, 11:48 AM
He'd never make it in the modern NBA. Too much evolution, lane shading, zone concepts, and advanced defenses for him to make it.

He might have a chance to make the D-League though.

20Four
03-24-2015, 11:51 AM
He'd never make it in the modern NBA. Too much evolution, lane shading, zone concepts, and advanced defenses for him to make it.

You are a fvcking idiot you know that? How the fvck are you even alive with such a stupid mind? I don't get it

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-24-2015, 11:56 AM

I missed the white text. No seriously, where is it?

jzek
03-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Kawhi Leonard give or take

FatComputerNerd
03-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Sprewell is so underrated

Kids today don't remember that he was the 2nd best SG in the league for a while there. The season MJ took off for baseball Spre' was 1st team all-NBA.

MiseryCityTexas
03-24-2015, 01:59 PM

Bullshit statement.

FatComputerNerd
03-24-2015, 02:00 PM
I missed the white text. No seriously, where is it?

I think his username = the white text :oldlol:

MiseryCityTexas
03-24-2015, 02:03 PM
Sprewell would be just as good as D Wade

Teanett
03-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Spree would be something between Westbrook and Kawhi.

SHAQisGOAT
03-24-2015, 02:49 PM
At his very best? Yea, most likely...

MiseryCityTexas
03-24-2015, 03:23 PM

How he won't make it in today's league? Prime Sprewell was better than prime Hawks era Joe Johnson.

bizil
03-24-2015, 04:45 PM
I think peak Spree has become very underrated. He combined freakish athletic ability with great scoring, great passing, and great defense at the SG. The only SG's to combine those facets better FOR SURE were MJ, Kobe, and Wade. After those three, guys like Spree and Moncrief would be next in line. So in the two way sense, I think Spree is a top 10-15 SG of all time peak wise. Peak Spree was a great defender gettin 24 points, six dimes, and five boards a game.

Lebron23
03-24-2015, 08:23 PM

I see what you did there LMAO

Spreewell chokes his coaches, while leBRONZE chokes in games in general

Lebron is a 4x NBA MVP, and 2x Finals MVP. And a superior playoffs and finals performer than Kobe.

Reggie43
06-23-2020, 05:57 AM
Was just thinking about this. Would Peak Spree be similar in terms of impact and ability to a player like Paul George with all the rule changes?

Whoah10115
06-23-2020, 09:01 AM
Spreewell's issue was his mentality/consistency.

So if that doesn't change, his ceiling is lower.

Reggie43
06-23-2020, 09:39 AM
Spreewell's issue was his mentality/consistency.

So if that doesn't change, his ceiling is lower.

This is probably right but there is no denying that he had the tools/talent to be a much better more impactful player.

Whoah10115
06-23-2020, 09:50 AM
This is probably right but there is no denying that he had the tools/talent to be a much better more impactful player.

Yeah for sure. He had two exceptional years and was really good for the Knicks, then late in his career at Minnesota.

fourkicks44
06-23-2020, 06:09 PM
He took Jordan's spot on the All-NBA 1st team in his second season.

He was probably second best shooting guard in the world untill the choking incident.

Reggie43
06-23-2020, 11:49 PM
Imagine a Peak Sprewell going against a Prime Westbrook, that would have been phenomenal to watch.

bizil
06-24-2020, 12:46 PM
I think he could be the 2nd best SG behind Harden. There aren't any other SG's in the league right now who would combine freak athletic ability, scoring, passing, and defense like him. And his motor on top of it would put him ahead of all the other SG's except for Harden. I think the choking incident and taking lesser scoring roles with the Knicks and Wolves make Spree underrated. Not many SG's in league history were as complete across the board as prime Spree!!

Lebron23
06-24-2020, 02:28 PM
2nd best shooting guard after James Harden. The Warriors version of Sprewell averaged almost 25 ppg, and he was a very good defender.

Whoah10115
06-27-2020, 12:20 AM
He wasn't better than Mitch Richmond. Or Reggie.

And I wouldn't take him over Klay.

fourkicks44
06-27-2020, 09:36 AM
He wasn't better than Mitch Richmond. Or Reggie.

And I wouldn't take him over Klay.

Hmm dunno about that.

Reggie and Rock were pure scorers. They sure as hell weren't in the same class of defenders as Spree.

Spree was and elite two way player, in elite status behind Payton and maybe Jordan (his defensive prowess is debatable by the late 90's, be serious).

I am huge Richmond guy. His career stats are truly underrated imo but the fact is he did it all on dog shit teams that had no playoff presence.

Whilst Reggie and Rock Are the better shooters, Spree was a dynamic scorer and way more explosive.

The fact is in their primes statically Spree was better when he was starting out his career, the other two were in their prime. Spree was a two way player unlike them, being able to hold smaller quicker players and bigger stronger players in a one on one league.

Neither Rock or Reggie could snare an all NBA First team spot ahead of or in absence or Jordan....

Defence matters.

Spree even put that Knicks team on his back after Ewing got injured and single handedly dragged them through the finals.

Spree had that X factor that ultimately would also probably be his downfall also.

He has become underrated and forgotten about, but in the mid to late 90's was pound for pound the best SG

Whoah10115
06-27-2020, 09:43 AM
Hmm dunno about that.

Reggie and Rock were pure scorers. They sure as hell weren't in the same class of defenders as Spree.

Spree was and elite two way player, in elite status behind Payton and maybe Jordan (his defensive prowess is debatable by the late 90's, be serious).

I am huge Richmond guy. His career stats are truly underrated imo but the fact is he did it all on dog shit teams that had no playoff presence.

Whilst Reggie and Rock Are the better shooters, Spree was a dynamic scorer and way more explosive.

The fact is in their primes statically Spree was better when he was starting out his career, the other two were in their prime. Spree was a two way player unlike them, being able to hold smaller quicker players and bigger stronger players in a one on one league.

Neither Rock or Reggie could snare an all NBA First team spot ahead of or in absence or Jordan....

Defence matters.

Spree even put that Knicks team on his back after Ewing got injured and single handedly dragged them through the finals.

Spree had that X factor that ultimately would also probably be his downfall also.

He has become underrated and forgotten about, but in the mid to late 90's was pound for pound the best SG

Spree is the best defender of the 3, but Richmond was Rock for some reasons. He was a very good defender. If he had another two players they'd be in in the 4 range every season, and he'd get close to an All-Defense selection. But even so he's well-regarded as a defender.

Reggie is different because in that era and on that team his stats were lower. Spree has him in a vacuum, but as I said in my first post Spreewell wasn't consistent. 93/94 and 96/97 he was what he should have been. He was good between those seasons, but not consistent.

And I appreciate his play with us, playing in an offense based around him and Houston, no real PG, Pat injured, and he played an all-around game.

Reggie43
06-27-2020, 09:59 AM
Sprewell guarding bruising combo fowards was amazing to me especially given the fact that he was only 6'5" 190.

Something similar was when Ak47 played PF and seeing him get outweighed by 40-50 pounds on some matchups and still do a decent job was great to watch.

fourkicks44
06-27-2020, 10:16 AM
Spree is the best defender of the 3, but Richmond was Rock for some reasons. He was a very good defender. If he had another two players they'd be in in the 4 range every season, and he'd get close to an All-Defense selection. But even so he's well-regarded as a defender.

Reggie is different because in that era and on that team his stats were lower. Spree has him in a vacuum, but as I said in my first post Spreewell wasn't consistent. 93/94 and 96/97 he was what he should have been. He was good between those seasons, but not consistent.

And I appreciate his play with us, playing in an offense based around him and Houston, no real PG, Pat injured, and he played an all-around game.

Spree doesn't have the all round career that Reggie and Rock has, and Rock is underrated all time no doubt but his career stats says it all.

But I still stand by the the fact that Spree up untill the choking incident was number two SG in the world next to Jordan. Even up till 99 when he lead his team to the finals ( and Houston and Ewing had the money but Spree was the Alpha).

His prime was as good as any but his true potential was fully never reached IMHO because of that year long ban.

He had his issues that hampered his career but at his peak ( which was at a young age) was as good, if not better than any player not named Michael Jordan.

Whoah10115
06-27-2020, 10:29 AM
Spree doesn't have the all round career that Reggie and Rock has, and Rock is underrated all time no doubt but his career stats says it all.

But I still stand by the the fact that Spree up untill the choking incident was number two SG in the world next to Jordan. Even up till 99 when he lead his team to the finals ( and Houston and Ewing had the money but Spree was the Alpha).

His prime was as good as any but his true potential was fully never reached IMHO because of that year long ban.

He had his issues that hampered his career but at his peak ( which was at a young age) was as good, if not better than any player not named Michael Jordan.

Don't disagree too much. But that crazy event is part of his general makeup.

Had he not done that, would he learn consistency? I don't know.

fourkicks44
06-27-2020, 10:36 AM
Don't disagree too much. But that crazy event is part of his general makeup.

Had he not done that, would he learn consistency? I don't know.

Yeah exactly.

Gotta put him up there with Penny an G-Hill TBH.

The difference is those two injuries were the issue. For Spree HE was the issue.

It is shame cause he really could have been a generational player, he f#cked it up for himself.

But his ever so brief greatness should be recognized. He still and always will have that All-NBA spot that Jordan vacated which really is underrated and forgotten about.

FireDavidKahn
06-27-2020, 10:39 AM

Butler is unquestionably better then Sprewell...

fourkicks44
06-27-2020, 10:42 AM

Hmm..

When Jimmy makes All-NBA first team and/or leads his team to the finals get back to me...

BigShotBob
06-27-2020, 01:45 PM

Just say you've never watched him play and keep it movin' lil' boy :oldlol: