PDA

View Full Version : Your COTY criteria?

UK2K
03-24-2015, 03:27 AM
With the news today that the USBWA voted Virginia's Tony Bennett as coach of the year, as opposed to the coach of the 36-0 Kentucky Wildcats, the only reasonable explanation is that the award is given to the coach who overachieves.

I think the COTY has to go to Kerr. However, given the fact that his team is super stacked at almost every position, how good of a coaching job did he really do? I feel like I could coach a team of that talent level to a top seed in the West. So, part of me feels that Budenholzer deserves COTY for his job with the Hawks.

Nobody could have predicted the Hawks to have the record they have now.

I guess what I am asking is, in your opinion, do you give it to the coach with the best record, or the coach who overachieves?

Cocaine80s
03-24-2015, 03:29 AM
Pretty sure any d1 college coach could have the best record with that Kentucky roster

UK2K
03-24-2015, 03:31 AM
Pretty sure any d1 college coach could have the best record with that Kentucky roster
Not true.

Kentucky had the most talented roster last season too, but its hard to convince a top 20 player who was an all-american and ball chucker on his high school team to come off the bench.

Could any coach coach them now? Probably. At the beginning of the season? No. I read for 6 months how the talent level on that team would cause the egos to rip them apart, which is what happened last season.

But its not so much Kentucky as it is 'should you win COTY with the most talented team' when you had no hand in assembling it?

bdreason
03-24-2015, 04:05 AM

Except Cal also gets credit for recruiting all those players.

My CotY is Mike Budenholzer from the Hawks. I wouldn't be surprised if Kerr gets it though. Especially if we hit like 65 wins. Honestly I don't want any individual awards, so everyone stays hungry.

Overdrive
03-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Significant, positive win % shift without significant roster changes. So Kerr and Budenholzer are frontrunners for me.

Prime_Shaq
03-24-2015, 08:13 AM
My criteria would be to the coach that overachieves which his team. Before the season started NOBODY had Hawks 1st seed in the East and Warriors 1st seed in the West so Kerr and Bud would be equally deserving as COTY for me. Pre-All Star Break, Kidd would've also been up there for the way he had the Bucks playing but they've been slipping of the late.

MP.Trey
03-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Had a couple paragraphs typed out but my phone f*cking lost it. Bud is easy number one due to the fact that you would have gotten laughed at if you said the Hawks would be the clear cut best team in the East in the regular season was the essential part though.

JGXEN
03-24-2015, 09:35 AM
My criteria would be to the coach that overachieves which his team. Before the season started NOBODY had Hawks 1st seed in the East and Warriors 1st seed in the West so Kerr and Bud would be equally deserving as COTY for me. Pre-All Star Break, Kidd would've also been up there for the way he had the Bucks playing but they've been slipping of the late.
what about Brad Stevens? it's amazing how this guy has managed to coach this bunch of talentless players into possibly the playoffs

MMM
03-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Coach Stevens has coached 2 different teams

The Celtics have fielded the most players in NBA history this season and have configured the most starting line ups. I don't see many coaches being able to replicate his coaching job this season, so it might be pound for pound the best overall job not that necessarily will be enough

J Kidd is another guy who deserves mention

Hopper15
03-24-2015, 10:34 AM
what about Brad Stevens? it's amazing how this guy has managed to coach this bunch of talentless players into possibly the playoffs

Stevens is a good coach but getting the 8th seed in the eastern conference isn't exactly a tough accomplishment.

Prime_Shaq
03-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Ahh yes I knew I was forgetting someone, Stevens has those dudes playing their heart out there :applause:

hawksdogsbraves
03-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Stevens is a great coach and has done a great job, but getting the 8 seed in an absolutely abysmal conference isn't winning you CotY :oldlol:

John Tesh
03-24-2015, 12:57 PM
I don't have a main criteria for the COTY. Some years it is because a top team is clicking on all cylinders (think Spurs last year or Hawks at the beginning of this calendar year), and some years it is a team that has drastically over-achieved.

20Four
03-24-2015, 12:58 PM
leBRONZE deserves it:

**** Of The Year

UK2K
03-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Stevens is a good coach but getting the 8th seed in the eastern conference isn't exactly a tough accomplishment.
Otherwise Vogel would get it.