PDA

View Full Version : If some scrub.. Andre Miller showed up at pickup

jack612blue
03-24-2015, 01:25 PM
In the NBA, and NBA 2k he's slow as fck and has no shot...
Would he able to dominate? Assuming the other pickup team isn't a bunch of 5'8" dude, some played high school/college ball.

The_Pharcyde
03-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Yes, he would absolutely dominate

No question about it

Absolutely zero doubt, NBA players are on a different level... Anyone who says otherwise is foolish

John Tesh
03-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Andre Miller is your scrub example? :coleman:

Uncle Drew
03-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Scalabrine would dominate, let alone Andre Miller. In fact, Miller is the wrong dude to fcuk with. He's one of the more craftier players in the entire NBA. He'd school everyone without even breaking a sweat.

ImKobe
03-24-2015, 01:35 PM
I know y'all saw Scalabrine destroy college kids and random ballers that went up against him after he retired.

A typical NBA scrub would look like a prime Jordan at your home court.

John Tesh
03-24-2015, 01:38 PM
I know y'all saw Scalabrine destroy college kids and random ballers that went up against him after he retired.

This.

Cleverness
03-24-2015, 01:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdFfT2y1NTs

dubeta
03-24-2015, 01:49 PM
He would look like Lebron in a court full of kobes

inclinerator
03-24-2015, 01:49 PM
tbf he was playing against super scrubs

ArbitraryWater
03-24-2015, 01:53 PM
He would look like Lebron in a game against Kobe

:roll: :roll:

dynasty1978
03-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Andre Miller would be a man among boys in rec league.

The first time it hit me that NBA players were on another level, was watching Will frickin Purdue dominate in warmups (in person to see Bulls vs Bullets).

Purdue was crushing (either stacey king or scott williams) in the post. Left hook, Right hook, it didn't matter. Then he steps out and rains jumper after jumper from the elbows.

And then you remember, this guy is an NBA scrub :lol

IMObjective
03-24-2015, 02:09 PM
Andre Miller would be a man among boys in rec league.

The first time it hit me that NBA players were on another level, was watching Will frickin Purdue dominate in warmups (in person to see Bulls vs Bullets).

Purdue was crushing (either stacey king or scott williams) in the post. Left hook, Right hook, it didn't matter. Then he steps out and rains jumper after jumper from the elbows.

And then you remember, this guy is an NBA scrub :lol
Will pudue, luc longley, bill wennington, they would all be decent centers in the league right now.

AnaheimLakers24
03-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Why couldnt you pick an actual garbage player like.... nah. Theyd all dominate

HurricaneKid
03-24-2015, 02:14 PM
I'm floored at the chasm between the abject lack of skills of ISH ballers and NBA players and the insane inability for most of you cats to get just how wide that chasm is.

Embiid, out for the year with a multitude of ailments dunks between his legs and shot >400 3s, making 80%. Most ISHers couldn't make 8% from that distance.

Most of you couldn't get run in HS. Andre Miller and Scalabrine would beat your HS team 2 on 5. The cats that beat up on you scrubs would be humiliated by the worst NBA players.

inclinerator
03-24-2015, 02:18 PM
I'm floored at the chasm between the abject lack of skills of ISH ballers and NBA players and the insane inability for most of you cats to get just how wide that chasm is.

Embiid, out for the year with a multitude of ailments dunks between his legs and shot >400 3s, making 80%. Most ISHers couldn't make 8% from that distance.

Most of you couldn't get run in HS. Andre Miller and Scalabrine would beat your HS team 2 on 5. The cats that beat up on you scrubs would be humiliated by the worst NBA players.

source?

KrizMiz
03-24-2015, 02:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYsrDDfaF38

jayfan
03-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Stopped reading after the suggestion that Andre Miller is a scrub. Ridiculous.

jzek
03-24-2015, 02:48 PM
source?

I believe what he posted.

Even Shaq is a 90% FT shooter in practice. Players' percentage go up immensely in practice.

SHAQisGOAT
03-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Shit, he could've just taken it easy and ABSOLUTELY shit on dudes in the low-post.

FatComputerNerd
03-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Since when is Andre Miller a scrub?

http://robertcharlespalmer.weebly.com/robert-charles-palmer-underdog/andre-miller-should-be-in-the-hall-of-fame

Rake2204
03-24-2015, 03:31 PM
I've always maintained that the chasm between NBA players and non-NBA players is huge, but it's not always as extreme as some believe it to be.

Sometimes I get the feeling people think anyone who played in the NBA could walk onto any pickup court in America and begin 360 dunking in traffic. A lot of times, an NBA player's dominance is about doing all the fundamental things right more so than flatly being faster, more athletic, and borderline godly.

For one example, I recall my brother playing ball with Charlie Bell years back. He said the most exceptional thing about his game wasn't some other-wordly ability to do crazy things that others couldn't. Rather, he said he just tended to do all the simple things right... virtually all the time and with precision.

Even then, as one can imagine, Bell wasn't pushing 100% all of the time during his runs. However, when he did push, he could usually assert his dominance... but it wasn't as though he was coasting to every single thing he wanted. Maybe "intricately superior" would sum it up.

That said, I think there's a big difference between nine non-NBA guys trying to hang with a single NBA player and one non-NBA game trying to hang with nine NBA players. The latter of which would always be an absolute slaughter on account of pace, stamina, speed, size, and just about everything else. The former is a little bit more of a unique situation.

RRR3
03-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Andre Miller has the 9th most assists in NBA History.

He had a year where he averaged 16.5/10.9 leading the league in APG and total assists.

He averages 12.8/6.7 for his career in 31.6 mpg.

"Scrub"

SwayDizzle
03-24-2015, 03:48 PM
the true definition of scrubs are those 3 guys Scal played against.

kells333
03-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Andre Miller has the 9th most assists in NBA History.

He had a year where he averaged 16.5/10.9 leading the league in APG and total assists.

He averages 12.8/6.7 for his career in 31.6 mpg.

"Scrub"

Im assuming hes talking about right now not in his prime. Hes a scrub right now so take those old ass stats outta here.

Mass Debator
03-24-2015, 03:51 PM
1v1? Yes, Andre could absolutely get destroyed by some cats out there. He'll also destroy a bunch of players twice his size and/or athleticism.

Team game? I won't be surprised if Andre Miller dominates every game without taking a shot. I put my money on his team 10/10 times.

MEB2kDeez
03-24-2015, 04:00 PM

Fact lol.

Rake2204
03-24-2015, 04:01 PM
1v1? Yes, Andre could absolutely get destroyed by some cats out there. He'll also destroy a bunch of players twice his size and/or athleticism.

Team game? I won't be surprised if Andre Miller dominates every game without taking a shot. I put my money on his team 10/10 times.Another good point. A lot of what makes many NBA players great goes beyond 1-on-1, a game which eliminates a significant portion of basketball's typically required skills.

Even in the Scalabrine one-on-one tapes (not that weird 3-on-1 thing), he ultimately succeeded over his competition, but it didn't exactly display all the things that helped Scalabrine get to where he did. In some of those matchups, he left the door open for a bit... a door that a hot opponent (or just different opponent) may have been able to take advantage. It wouldn't have meant they were better than him though, considering one-on-one's narrow scope and susceptibility to streaks.

clipps
03-24-2015, 04:11 PM

:oldlol: Looks like a grown man playing against preteens

ThickassGlasses
03-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Seen and played with a few UNC scrubs in pick-up games in Charlotte.

Seeing as how they barely get time at the college level, and how they kill these pick-up games... I'd imagine a "scrub" like Andre Miller would be kicked off the court after going 100-0 and winning 21-0 every game.

jayfan
03-24-2015, 05:05 PM
Im assuming hes talking about right now not in his prime. Hes a scrub right now so take those old ass stats outta here.

He's not a scrub right now, either.

20Four
03-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Even injured Nash would be jordan in ANY park

Dro
03-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Lol, no he's not...He would still dominate any rec league now....

Siemens
03-24-2015, 05:21 PM
Of course Andre would destroy :roll:

ImKobe
03-24-2015, 05:25 PM
k,et224e4w3
Even injured Nash would be jordan in ANY park

obviously, even the worst players holding roster spots in the league are still among the 500-600 greatest basketball players in the entire world.

strifed169
03-24-2015, 05:46 PM
What about a guy like J Lin, he can't dribble for shit and only reliable move is his first step, I can imagine him getting shook by some street baller

Rake2204
03-24-2015, 05:59 PM
What about a guy like J Lin, he can't dribble for shit and only reliable move is his first step, I can imagine him getting shook by some street ballerNot against great competition (in fact, how'd that guy get stuck on him?) but even a guy like Lin would be capable of doing this along the baseline, with that aforementioned first step: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NeJXIZ83tI

Real14
03-24-2015, 06:19 PM
He would look like Lebron in a court full of kobes
You mean choking under pressure?:biggums:

Genaro
03-24-2015, 06:30 PM
First of all, Andre Miller isn't a scrub. And yes he and anybody in the NBA would dominate the shit of any pick up game.

swagga
03-24-2015, 06:30 PM
so a dude that is really high on the all time assist list, has career of 15/10 with a lot of seasons, is a quality player right now and once dropped 50+ one a NBA contender is a scrub.

what are these kids eating these days? :lol

andre miller would absolutely destroy a 5v5 match without even scoring. 1v1 with his post game, strength and smarts he'll crush anybody you know.

VIP2000
03-24-2015, 06:33 PM
What about a guy like J Lin, he can't dribble for shit and only reliable move is his first step, I can imagine him getting shook by some street baller

Lin spent one game in the D-league in the 2011-2012 (shortly before Linsanity) and had a 28-10-10 triple double.

inclinerator
03-24-2015, 06:35 PM
how is current andre miller not a scrub? ppl have been calling lin a scrub all season and he's definitely better than current andre miller

RedBlackAttack
03-24-2015, 07:02 PM
The difference between a good rec league player and an average Division I-A collegiate player is massive. I've actually had the opportunity to play with a couple of those kinds of guys. Back when I was in my best physical shape and played ball a lot, I thought I was pretty good for just being a random guy off the street, but you don't really know for sure unless you gauge against someone who has accomplished something in basketball... like getting a decent scholarship or, god forbid, a professional.

The college guys were pretty dominant. I can't imagine what it's like going against an NBA player. I don't care if it is a washed up veteran or the last guy on the bench. Everyone that posts here and everyone at your local playground/rec league is going to get embarrassed.

ralph_i_el
03-24-2015, 07:13 PM
He would score every damn time he touched the ball

ThickassGlasses
03-24-2015, 07:18 PM
I've seen Seth Curry, who is bouncing around the D-League year after year, tear up a pick-up game without even trying.

So yes, Andre Miller and Jeremy Lin would destroy all of us.

oarabbus
03-24-2015, 07:19 PM

You're joking, right? Lin dropped 45 at the Pro-Am (including gamewinner) without breaking a sweat. He would make a streetballer quit basketball forever.

RedBlackAttack
03-24-2015, 07:42 PM
A guy like Matthew Dellavedova who people on this site frequently disparage would have everyone at your rec league on skates all game. There's a reason these guys are being paid to play and we're all so interested in the outcomes.

Even the worst guy in the NBA is among the 400 or so best basketball players in the world. It's hard to wrap your head around that... until one of those 400 guys is standing in front of you... and going by, over, and through you. And all your buddies.

chazzy
03-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Nick Young showed up at my gym one time and just absolutely toyed with some of the best regulars who played college there while playing at half speed/goofing around. They couldn't dribble near him either. Not the best example because he's really talented in general, but still. Same thing with a sophomore in HS Jrue Holiday. Total domination, give him any space and he would make every jumper and got to the rim at will.

Real14
03-24-2015, 08:00 PM
I think people give NBA scrubs wayy too much damn credit. Theres many people who play street ball or rec leagues that can give andre miller a run for his money. People need to stop acting like the worst players in the NBA is all that nice. They just blessed with golden opportunities to collect a well underserved check every year.

FKAri
03-24-2015, 08:13 PM
The biggest advantage that NBA "scrubs" have over great rec league or streetballers is their conditioning. NBA players regardless of talent, skill or athleticism (or lack thereof) will still be used to playing ball at a much faster pace than anyone outside the league.

sommervilleCdn
03-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Yeah thanks for the ProAM reference. where jeremy lin dropped 45... he's got that NBA motor. (what alot, of the uninitiated seem to be overlooking) :lol

Like what somebody said earlier, these guys got the fundamental and precision down pat. Jeremy lin still being a young guy...has the extra dimension of quickness and speed. ; That's why he's in the league, even though he's "average" for NBA player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esTAlbeCB7A&t=1m24s

Joyner82reload
03-24-2015, 09:50 PM
thread is a joke. every time you showed the ball, he would strip you. on offense, it wouldn't be anything flashy but he would take you into the post and score on 100% of possessions.

ralph_i_el
03-24-2015, 10:14 PM
thread is a joke. every time you showed the ball, he would strip you. on offense, it wouldn't be anything flashy but he would take you into the post and score on 100% of possessions.

especially Andre Miller. Even if you were a fantastic athlete in great shape going all out against him, he'd just fake you every which way and make you look like a moron. These dudes do this as their job. You'll still think you're in front of him, and he's 3 moves ahead, knowing you're just a bit off balance and he already killed you.

Chadwin
03-24-2015, 10:34 PM
if I could pick him or some 7' college beast I'd take the college guy for a half court pickup game

Thunderfan86
03-24-2015, 10:48 PM
Even Thabo Scrubolosha would be killing nikkas in a pick up game. He might look like shit at times during a real NBA game, but he would literally turn into Michael Jordan in a pick up situation.

Rake2204
03-24-2015, 10:58 PM
Even Thabo Scrubolosha would be killing nikkas in a pick up game. He might look like shit at times during a real NBA game, but he would literally turn into Michael Jordan in a pick up situation.I think Thabo would be a scary pro to play against. At least with Brian Scalabrine, it'd more or less be about resigning yourself to the fact you're playing against a giant with solid footwork and a peerless jumper you cannot contest.

In Thabo's case - a quick, strong, and defense-oriented 6'5'' ball hawk in great shape with stellar range at least five feet behind the 19'9'' line (of which most amateurs are used to playing) - that'd be a nightmare.

SpecialQue
03-24-2015, 11:46 PM

You mean the guy who embarrassed both Deron and Kobe during Linsanity?

You guys are really fvcking stupid.

dubeta
03-24-2015, 11:56 PM
Good points on each side about the skill-level of NBA players but I would beat Kobe in a 1-on-1

Real14
03-25-2015, 12:01 AM
Yall people need to believe in yourselves and other nice non NBA ballers more.

dubeta
03-25-2015, 12:04 AM
Yall people need to believe in yourselves and other nice non NBA ballers more.

True, heck the Knicks are so garbage right now even you could start for them. :cheers:

Kvnzhangyay
03-25-2015, 12:19 AM
I think people give NBA scrubs wayy too much damn credit. Theres many people who play street ball or rec leagues that can give andre miller a run for his money. People need to stop acting like the worst players in the NBA is all that nice. They just blessed with golden opportunities to collect a well underserved check every year.
You act like people make the NBA out of luck or some sht :facepalm

Pushxx
03-25-2015, 02:07 AM

Lol troll successful.

Heavincent
03-25-2015, 02:18 AM
Even Thabo Scrubolosha would be killing nikkas in a pick up game. He might look like shit at times during a real NBA game, but he would literally turn into Michael Jordan in a pick up situation.

The best player at your local park/gym wouldn't be able to take more than 2 dribbles while being guarded by Thabo. It would be a joke. Lets put it into perspective here: Sefolosha is (or was) known for his ability to guard some of the best players EVER (Lebron, Kobe, etc). I remember him shutting down James Harden in the playoffs a few years ago.

If I had to pick an NBA player to go 1-on-1 with, it definitely wouldn't be a 6'7 wing defender. At least Andre Miller is kind of an "every man" physically. Obviously I would lose 11-0, but at least I might be able to get a few shots up.

ClipperRevival
03-25-2015, 02:40 AM
The difference between a good rec league player and an average Division I-A collegiate player is massive. I've actually had the opportunity to play with a couple of those kinds of guys. Back when I was in my best physical shape and played ball a lot, I thought I was pretty good for just being a random guy off the street, but you don't really know for sure unless you gauge against someone who has accomplished something in basketball... like getting a decent scholarship or, god forbid, a professional.

The college guys were pretty dominant. I can't imagine what it's like going against an NBA player. I don't care if it is a washed up veteran or the last guy on the bench. Everyone that posts here and everyone at your local playground/rec league is going to get embarrassed.

Agreed. But at the same time, let's not pretend that being in the NBA is just about skills because it's also about winning the genetic lottery and having the right height, athleticism, etc. Because let's face it, there are a lot of people in the world who have the skills/game to play in the NBA but they might be too short or not athletic enough or both. So they will never see the NBA court despite possibly having sufficient skills.

If you have two players with the same skill level but one player is 5'8" while the other is 6'6", long and athletic as hell, it's not hard to see who dominates. Not strictly due to skills but a combination of skills/genetics. So while I respect the NBA players for their skills, I also realize those guys were blessed genetically.

Tking714
03-25-2015, 02:42 AM
One of the best PGs to ever play in the nba is a scrub?

Done_And_Done
03-25-2015, 02:55 AM
Anyone remember when KD splashed 60+ at Rucker? Made it look so damn easy...

iamgine
03-25-2015, 03:19 AM
It all depends.

For example, if Miller's opponents double/triple team him full court every time, he'll have to pass the ball. How good is his teammates? If they suck then no way Andre Miller dominate in any form.

One position you're more guaranteed to dominate is center. For example, if current obese Yao Ming or Shaq shows up, it's over for everyone else.

dunksby
03-25-2015, 08:44 AM
Game instincts of Dre Miller is enough to destroy any rec league team, some of you might watch NBA because it's American basketball, but I watch it because it's where the best players in the world are competing at an elite level. Remember Von Wafer? He is averaging 32 PPG in the CBA, that's China's professional league not a weekend league.

RRR3
03-25-2015, 11:00 AM
One of the best PGs to ever play in the nba is a scrub?
Let's not go crazy now. Miller has had a good career but he's never even been an all-star.

kurple
03-25-2015, 11:02 AM
Let's not go crazy now. Miller has had a good career but he's never even been an all-star.
top10 in career assists

may be the most durable player of all time

swagga
03-25-2015, 11:11 AM

has was close to being one many times. He is more of an all star in my mind than guys like mo williams, szerczbiak. He was on the millsap/rip hamilton allstar level, a very reliable starter that could play a very good two-way game.

again, LOL @thread