PDA

View Full Version : 4th quarter, game 7 of the 1969 NBA finals, Wilt vs Russell, good quality video

sd3035
03-25-2015, 04:03 PM
No grainy old photos or people's stories, real footage

An interesting watch, to see what the game was like in those times, with the two biggest stars going head to head in the finals

Edit: forgot the link lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnu5vMfPtbw

MEB2kDeez
03-25-2015, 04:09 PM
Lol i knew i wasn't seeing a link initially but Sam Jones :bowdown:. The ref's whistle game is on point also.

BlakFrankWhite
03-25-2015, 04:15 PM

An interesting watch, to see what the game was like in those times, with the two biggest stars going head to head in the finals

Betamaster Wilt getting embarressed for the 10000th time is what happened

-betamaster was 1-5 from the field in Game 2.
-In a pivotal Game 4 Betamaster Wilt shot 2-11 from the line in a 1-point loss, a win would have gave the Lakers a 3-1 series lead.
- Betamaster Wilt shot 1-5 from the filed and missed 8 freethrows in a Game 6 loss
- Game 7 in which Betamaster Wilt missed 9 freethrows (4-13)

Betamaster Wilt's FT shooting for the series: 24-66 (36.4%)
Betamaster Wilt's FT shooting in Game 7: 4-13 (30.8%)

:facepalm

sd3035
03-25-2015, 04:23 PM
wow Jerry West seemed pretty clutch

He won the finals MVP on a losing team

sd3035
03-25-2015, 06:10 PM
I watched nearly the entire video to see how the game has evolved. The biggest difference I noticed was definitely the vastly improved athleticism of today's players. Some of the players looked like they could play in today's league, especially Jerry West. If you can shoot the ball, you can play in any era

warriorfan
03-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Looks like Wilt is still rent free despite passing away 15 years ago, decent.

Jameerthefear
03-25-2015, 06:19 PM

-In a pivotal Game 4 Betamaster Wilt shot 2-11 from the line in a 1-point loss, a win would have gave the Lakers a 3-1 series lead.
- Betamaster Wilt shot 1-5 from the filed and missed 8 freethrows in a Game 6 loss

Wilt is most definitely the biggest choker of alltime.

Marchesk
03-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Some of the players looked like they could play in today's league, especially Jerry West. If you can shoot the ball, you can play in any era

The average max vertical of NBA players today is 28". West's would have probably been in the 32-34" range, based on being able to reach 11'4" and being 6'4" (without knowing his standing reach).

Russell and Wilt had a documented 39" vertical, which is very good for centers today. Baylor in his athletic prime could reach 11'10" at 6'5", so he probably had a vertical in the 35-38" range.

Contrast with Bird who had a 28" vertical and Magic who had a 30".

sd3035
03-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Wilt is most definitely the biggest choker of alltime.

Actually this video was a prime example of his choking skills. He disappeared in the 4th quarter of a finals game 7, and literally sat on the bench like a baby for the last few minutes

ISHGoat
03-25-2015, 06:34 PM
The average max vertical of NBA players today is 28". West's would have probably been in the 32-34" range, based on being able to reach 11'4" and being 6'4" (without knowing his standing reach).

Russell and Wilt had a documented 39" vertical, which is very good for centers today. Baylor in his athletic prime could reach 11'10" at 6'5", so he probably had a vertical in the 35-38" range.

Contrast with Bird who had a 28" vertical and Magic who had a 30".

There is no way that is accurate. I read that stat in the past too, and I thought "wow I have a vert half a foot more than most nba players". Then I realized how stupid that was.

28 inch vert is like enes kanter or vucevic. 28 inches seems like it would be bottom 10 percentile in the NBA.

Most high school volleyball players have a vert over 28 inches.

Edit: enes kanter has a 32.5 max vert, vuc has 25.0, if you think that the average nba player has a vert that is midway between vuc's and kanter's, you need a reality check.

go to draftexpress, you will barely find many max verts below 30 inches. I would honestly say the average NBA vert is much closer to 38 inches than 28.

I also dont believe wilt has anywhere close to a 40 inch vertical. 30 would be nice for him. People dont understand how rare and how difficult it is to achieve a 40 inch vertical. You would be flying. A real 40 inch vertical is basically zach lavine, vince carter, terrance ross levels (draftexpress has him at 41.5). A 40 inch vertical on a 6'8 height (with shoes) gets his head to the rim. Are you saying wilt, claimed to be 7'1 barefoot, likely approaching 7'3 in shoes, could get half his head over the rim?

sd3035
03-25-2015, 06:36 PM
There is no way that is accurate. Most high school volleyball players have a vert over that lmao

in the 60s the average was about 16" according to footage that exists

ISHGoat
03-25-2015, 06:44 PM
in the 60s the average was about 16" according to footage that exists

Thats also ridiculous. Although the plethora of part-time white guys would skew it, I'm willing to bet the average vert in the 60s would be around 25 inches, which is still respectable.

Add tons of black guys, videos everywhere glorifying dunking, and much greater emphasis on strength/explosive training, I believe the vert average would be 35 inches today, which is elite. 40 inches is approaching world class. 45 is legendary.

sd3035
03-25-2015, 06:49 PM
Thats also ridiculous. Although the plethora of part-time white guys would skew it, I'm willing to bet the average vert in the 60s would be around 25 inches, which is still respectable.

Add tons of black guys, videos everywhere glorifying dunking, and much greater emphasis on strength/explosive training, I believe the vert average would be 35 inches today, which is elite. 40 inches is approaching world class. 45 is legendary.

yeah I guess some guys were probably fairly athletic in the 60s, just not Wilt or Russell. Finally I got to see a real video of them in action, they were exactly how I expected

Papaya Petee
03-25-2015, 07:10 PM
Pretty cool to watch such an important game in such good quality.

But the difference in overall level of basketball from then to now isn't even comparable. A good D2 game nowadays is more exciting and better than this

ShawkFactory
03-25-2015, 08:37 PM
I watched nearly the entire video to see how the game has evolved. The biggest difference I noticed was definitely the vastly improved athleticism of today's players. Some of the players looked like they could play in today's league, especially Jerry West. If you can shoot the ball, you can play in any era
And due to that increased athleticism the defensive schemes nowadays are far more advanced. Half of those shots in the video weren't even contested.

And that FT attempt at 7:55 :roll:

Marchesk
03-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Go to draftexpress, you will barely find many max verts below 30 inches. I would honestly say the average NBA vert is much closer to 38 inches than 28.

I would expect guys just entering the league to have a higher vertical than the league average.

Marchesk
03-25-2015, 08:44 PM
I also dont believe wilt has anywhere close to a 40 inch vertical. 30 would be nice for him. People dont understand how rare and how difficult it is to achieve a 40 inch vertical. You would be flying. A real 40 inch vertical is basically zach lavine, vince carter, terrance ross levels (draftexpress has him at 41.5). A 40 inch vertical on a 6'8 height (with shoes) gets his head to the rim. Are you saying wilt, claimed to be 7'1 barefoot, likely approaching 7'3 in shoes, could get half his head over the rim?

Cavs found a newspaper clipping stating that Wilt could reach 12'9" which means a 39" vertical given his 9'6" standing reach. And there is video evidence where some of his blocks are up near that high. Russell could do 12'7" which gave him the same vertical. The video evidence for Russell makes it look like he was a very good leaper as well, plus the fact that he high jumped 6'9" before the Fosbury flop.

Why can't you guys just accept that Wilt and Russell were freaks of nature? They do exist, you know.

oarabbus
03-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Cavs found a newspaper clipping stating that Wilt could reach 12'9" which means a 39" vertical given his 9'6" standing reach. And there is video evidence where some of his blocks are up near that high. Russell could do 12'7" which gave him the same vertical. The video evidence for Russell makes it look like he was a very good leaper as well, plus the fact that he high jumped 6'9" before the Fosbury flop.

Why can't you guys just accept that Wilt and Russell were freaks of nature? They do exist, you know.

By 3ball's calculations Jordan had a what, 48" vert? I guess 40" is possible for Wilt and Russell :lol

sd3035
03-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Wilt and Bill were decent players, they could probably get jobs overseas in today's game

I'm sure with modern training techniques they could become somewhat athletic as well

LAZERUSS
03-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Actually this video was a prime example of his choking skills. He disappeared in the 4th quarter of a finals game 7, and literally sat on the bench like a baby for the last few minutes

Hmmm...what footage were you watching?

It was RUSSELL who completely HID in that 4th quarter. Interesting, too, that Chamberlain pickd up his FIFTH foul in the third quarter, and yet continued to rebound and play defense. When Russell picked up HIS 5th personal, he quietly retreated off-camera.

And of course, the Lakers incompetent coach didn't take advantage of it, either. The very first sequence after Russell was whistled for his fifth foul, the Lakers went into Chamberlain, who went around the "matador" defense of Russell for an easy layin. That would be the last time Wilt would get a pass down low.

And for the record, when Wilt pulled himself out with his leg injury, he had led his team back from a 17 point deficit at the 10 minute mark, to within seven at the six minute mark (which included two made FTs after the timeout to take him out.) So, in four minutes they wiped out 10 points from the deficit. With him out, they only managed to cut it down by five more points in the last six minutes.

BTW, Chamberlain had as many rebounds, on his injured leg, and in two straight defensive sequences, two, as Russell had in the entire 12 minutes he played in the 4th period. Oh, and in his seven minutes on the floor...Wilt outrebounded Russell, 7-2.

Next ...

305Baller
03-25-2015, 09:59 PM

Edit: forgot the link lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnu5vMfPtbw

Thanks. Will watch.

ILLsmak
03-25-2015, 10:08 PM

why did you say 40 is a huge vert but that the league average is closer to 38 than 28?

40 nostep vert is ****ing huge, but 40 max vert is not that amazing. IMO. It's def good, but it's not like OMG WTF.

Says Terrence Ross's Vert is 37. heh. I don't think vert matters as much in dunking as people think. That's why they wanna give people like MJ 48 inch verts. Most of these dudes are at 9 foot standing reach or so, so if you think about it... they are good to go on dunking.

Nick Young 39 nostep vert, now that's ****ing insane.

-Smak

LAZERUSS
03-25-2015, 10:20 PM

Here we go...

Game two is insignificant...LA still won.

You missed game three, however. Chamberlain pounded Russell, outscoring him, 16-11, outrebounding him, 26-18, and outshooting him from the field by a 6-11 to 5-12 margin. HOWEVER...

http://webuns.chez-alice.fr/finals/1969.htm

L.A. fails to rally in the 4th in large part due to Jerry West & Elgin Baylor shooting a combined 1-14 from the floor in the period.

FURTHERMORE...how about BAYLOR in that game three? He shot 4-18 from the field...in a six point loss.

So, because of both BAYLOR AND WEST's horrific shooting, the Lakers lost a game that they SHOULD have won, and that would have given them an insurrmountable 3-0 series lead.

Game four. Yep, Wilt was terrible. In a ONE POINT loss. BUT, first of all, how about RUSSELL in that same game? While Wilt was shooting "2-11" from the line...Mr. Russell was shooting 2-12 from the FIELD. AND, Chamberlain, as almost always, outrebounded him.

AND, it gets even better. How about BAYLOR... AGAIN??? The clown not only shot 2-14 from the field, he even went 1-6 from the LINE...again...in a ONE POINT loss.

AND, I'm not thru yet, either. The Lakers had the lead, 88-87, AND the ball, with 15 seconds left. Now, a normal COACH would have put the ball in the hands of WEST. But, NO, not incompetent Van Breda Kolff. Instead, he had scrub Johnny Egan handling it, and you guessed it,... Egan was stripped, and Sam Jones, while falling down, hit the game-winning shot.

How important was that ONE PLAY? Instead of being up 3-1, and going back to LA, where Chamberlain and the Lakers easily beat Boston, for what would have been the series-clinching win...they were only tied 2-2, and with that win in LA in game five, Boston was still alive.

Game six. No doubt, this was Wilt at his worst. In fact, the entire series was the worst of his career. HOWEVER, the loss in game six, in Boston, didn't lose them the series.

How about game seven? Chamberlain DOMINATED Russell in that game seven. He outscored him, 18-6; outrebounded him, 27-21; and outshot him from the field, 7-8 to 2-7. So while he missed nine FTs, he was still outshooting Russell by a huge margin.

AND, again...how about BAYLOR? In that critical game seven... 8-22 from the floor. In a TWO POINT LOSS.

AND, how about this? Again, Chamberlain shot 7-8 from the field, and Russell shot 2-7. How about their TEAMMATES? Russell's TEAMMATES collectively outshot Wilt's (including Mr. West)...by a .477 to .360 margin! Again, in a TWO POINT LOSS.

For the series, Chamberlain outscored, outshot, and outrebounded Russell. He did his part. But, as usual, his TEAMMATES, most notably, BAYLOR, ...CHOKED.

BTW, how come West was lauded for his 38 ppg Finals performance, and Wilt was ripped...when for almost his entire playoff career, Chamberlain was routinely putting up 30+ ppg series (and on much better FG%'s than West) in losses?

Why wasn't West blamed for missing over half of his FGAs in that game seven, AND, chunking TWO FTAs in the 4th quarter, as well (and missing FOUR overall)...in a TWO POINT LOSS? Nope, it was always WILT's fault.

BTW, the Lakers essentially fired Van Breda Kolff immediately after that series, and three years later, Chamberlain would lead the Lakers to their first ever title in Los Angeles, and winning the FMVP in the process...while "Mr. Clutch" shot .325 in that Finals.

SouBeachTalents
03-25-2015, 10:25 PM
Here we go...

Game two is insignificant...LA still won.

You missed game three, however. Chamberlain pounded Russell, outscoring him, 16-11, outrebounding him, 26-18, and outshooting him from the field by a 6-11 to 5-12 margin. HOWEVER...

http://webuns.chez-alice.fr/finals/1969.htm

FURTHERMORE...how about BAYLOR in that game three? He shot 4-18 from the field...in a six point loss.

So, because of both BAYLOR AND WEST's horrific shooting, the Lakers lost a game that they SHOULD have won, and that would have given them an insurrmountable 3-0 series lead.

Game four. Yep, Wilt was terrible. In a ONE POINT loss. BUT, first of all, how about RUSSELL in that same game? While Wilt was shooting "2-11" from the line...Mr. Russell was shooting 2-12 from the FIELD. AND, Chamberlain, as almost always, outrebounded him.

AND, it gets even better. How about BAYLOR... AGAIN??? The clown not only shot 2-14 from the field, he even went 1-6 from the LINE...again...in a ONE POINT loss.

AND, I'm not thru yet, either. The Lakers had the lead, 88-87, AND the ball, with 15 seconds left. Now, a normal COACH would have put the ball in the hands of WEST. But, NO, not incompetent Van Breda Kolff. Instead, he had scrub Johnny Egan handling it, and you guessed it,... Egan was stripped, and Sam Jones, while falling down, hit the game-winning shot.

How important was that ONE PLAY? Instead of being up 3-1, and going back to LA, where Chamberlain and the Lakers easily beat Boston, for what would have been the series-clinching win...they were only tied 2-2, and with that win in LA in game five, Boston was still alive.

Game six. No doubt, this was Wilt at his worst. In fact, the entire series was the worst of his career. HOWEVER, the loss in game six, in Boston, didn't lose them the series.

How about game seven? Chamberlain DOMINATED Russell in that game seven. He outscored him, 18-6; outrebounded him, 27-21; and outshot him from the field, 7-8 to 2-7. So while he missed nine FTs, he was still outshooting Russell by a huge margin.

AND, again...how about BAYLOR? In that critical game seven... 8-22 from the floor. In a TWO POINT LOSS.

AND, how about this? Again, Chamberlain shot 7-8 from the field, and Russell shot 2-7. How about their TEAMMATES? Russell's TEAMMATES collectively outshot Wilt's (including Mr. West)...by a .477 to .360 margin! Again, in a TWO POINT LOSS.

For the series, Chamberlain outscored, outshot, and outrebounded Russell. He did his part. But, as usual, his TEAMMATES, most notably, BAYLOR, ...CHOKED.

BTW, how come West was lauded for his 38 ppg Finals performance, and Wilt was ripped...when for almost his entire playoff career, Chamberlain was routinely putting up 30+ ppg series (and on much better FG%'s than West) in losses?

Why wasn't West blamed for missing over half of his FGAs in that game seven, AND, chunking TWO FTAs in the 4th quarter, as well (and missing FOUR overall)...in a TWO POINT LOSS? Nope, it was always WILT's fault.

BTW, the Lakers essentially fired Van Breda Kolff immediately after that series, and three years later, Chamberlain would lead the Lakers to their first ever title in Los Angeles, and winning the FMVP in the process...while "Mr. Clutch" shot .325 in that Finals.

Has any top 10 player lost an elimination game with a teammate putting up a 40 point triple double, let alone one in Game 7 of the Finals?

LAZERUSS
03-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Has any top 10 player lost an elimination game with a teammate putting up a 40 point triple double, let alone one in Game 7 of the Finals?

Give me a list of GOATs who played in a game seven, in which they won, when their teammates collectively shot .360 from the floor. And again, in a TWO POINT loss.

Oh, and also show them shooting .875 from the field in that game seven, while their opposing player shot .286.

305Baller
03-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Jerry West on fire

Jameerthefear
03-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Just what Lazzerrus didn't want us to see. Not bullshit articles he wrote himself, or cherry picked stats from a weak ass era. ACTUAL TANGIBLE proof that Wilt was a CHOKER. Wilt stans, hold this L.

LAZERUSS
03-25-2015, 10:52 PM
Just what Lazzerrus didn't want us to see. Not bullshit articles he wrote himself, or cherry picked stats from a weak ass era. ACTUAL TANGIBLE proof that Wilt was a CHOKER. Wilt stans, hold this L.

Yep...in a game seven in which Chamberlain slaughtered Russell...who is considered "The GOAT winner."

Thanks for playing though...

305Baller
03-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Too bad Wilt got injured in this game his replacement had a few turnovers. West choked as did Baylor and pretty much the whole Laker squad :lol

305Baller
03-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Also, it amazes me how even in this era the refs had so much influence on the outcome.

LAZERUSS
03-25-2015, 10:55 PM
Too bad Wilt got injured in this game his replacement had a few turnovers. West choked as did Baylor and pretty much the whole Laker squad :lol

Chamberlain's "replacement" shot 4-13 from the field, and missed a crucial shot in the last minute, and then had the key turnover at the end.

And Baylor...easily COST his team the title that year.

305Baller
03-25-2015, 10:58 PM
Chamberlain's "replacement" shot 4-13 from the field, and missed a crucial shot in the last minute, and then had the key turnover at the end.

And Baylor...easily COST his team the title that year.

I think his name was Kuntz.

LAZERUSS
03-25-2015, 11:00 PM
I think his name was Kuntz.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

:cheers:

305Baller
03-25-2015, 11:00 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

:cheers:

Funny, but Im serious. Seems to be his name.

Stringer Bell
05-03-2016, 07:24 PM
And that FT attempt at 7:55 :roll:

:oldlol:

Don Nelson's free throw style was funny. So was his "frustration jump" after missing.

West putting up 43, 13, and 12 with an injured hamstring. :lebronamazed:

Great way for Russell to go out, winning the finals in a game 7, as an underdog, for an 11th ring.

Lebron23
05-06-2020, 12:46 PM
Watching the game on youtube Wilt definitely choked in this series. He should have been more offensively active. West was a beast in this game that's why he won the finals MVP despite losing to the Celtics.