PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried Hack-a-Rondo?

J Shuttlesworth
03-26-2015, 03:32 PM
34% on the season.

Has it been done before?

And has anyone ever intentionally done "Hack-a-guard" in general? I've only seen it done with C/PF's

SwishSquared
03-26-2015, 03:41 PM
I haven't watched enough Mavs or Boston games, but my guess is teams haven't tried it yet or if they have, not very frequently. NBA is a copycat league, so whichever team uses it heavily first will probably spark a trend where others squads use it.

I think it's worth a shot to try it though. Then again, Carlisle would sub in Harris who's a better shooting threat, so maybe teams would rather defend against Rondo in half court since he hurts spacing? Interesting discussion.

bdreason
03-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Elfrid Payton had it done to him this season. Forget what team used it on him.

bdreason
03-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Looking at his game log, it was the Celtics on 3/18. Payton shot 4/15 from the line, and the Magic lost by 7.

oarabbus
03-26-2015, 04:23 PM
How the **** are these guys so ****ing bad at free throws :biggums:

I've never played basketball at a (college or higher) competitive level and I have never practiced free throws yet I can shoot 50%....

KungFuJoe
03-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Looking at his game log, it was the Celtics on 3/18. Payton shot 4/15 from the line, and the Magic lost by 7.

4/15...WTF?!?!

And Rondo at 30%. That is just...wow.

Seems players these days just don't know how to shoot. Remember when 'Nique was an inefficient chucker shooting 47% from the field? Now 43% is considered decent.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-26-2015, 05:30 PM
4/15...WTF?!?!

And Rondo at 30%. That is just...wow.

Seems players these days just don't know how to shoot. Remember when 'Nique was an inefficient chucker shooting 47% from the field? Now 43% is considered decent.
Only TS percentage really matters. Harden takes a lot of 3s and gets a lot of fts which makes him efficient.

Smoke117
03-26-2015, 05:31 PM

I've never played basketball at a (college or higher) competitive level and I have never practiced free throws yet I can shoot 50%....

I'm not making excuses for them, but let's remember that a lot of these players shoot much better in a practice setting. I doubt you shoot 50% in a real game with thousands of people watching and the pressure settling in.

FreezingTsmoove
03-26-2015, 08:38 PM

Fatigue from playing in a basketball game.

JohnFreeman
03-26-2015, 08:39 PM
If the Lakers sign him I will laugh my face off

T_L_P
03-26-2015, 08:40 PM
I think teams will start doing it in the Playoffs.

Then Carlisle has an excuse to bench Rondo. So maybe it's not such a good idea.

FKAri
03-26-2015, 08:43 PM
I'm not making excuses for them, but let's remember that a lot of these players shoot much better in a practice setting. I doubt you shoot 50% in a real game with thousands of people watching and the pressure settling in.

So Rondo's a choker who crumbles under the pressure? Interesting.

MP.Trey
03-27-2015, 06:12 AM
I remember someone doing it to Bruce Bowen in the playoffs (Suns or Mavs maybe?). Lights oit shooter from the corner but couldn't make a free throw to save his life. Could never understand that.

BigNBAfan
03-27-2015, 06:23 AM
So Rondo's a choker who crumbles under the pressure? Interesting.

Everyone does, to what extent varies.

Bigsmoke
03-27-2015, 06:30 AM
34% on the season.

Has it been done before?

And has anyone ever intentionally done "Hack-a-guard" in general? I've only seen it done with C/PF's

The wizards tried before. But that was years ago

http://youtu.be/QVCqQ9RHwB0