PDA

View Full Version : Was any SG (maybe SF) ever a center in college or senior year in HS?

Mass Debator
03-26-2015, 05:26 PM
:confusedshrug:

dubeta
03-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Chris Bosh

Mass Debator
03-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Chris Bosh
He's not a guard or small forward now. o_O

KobesFinger
03-26-2015, 05:38 PM
I read somewhere Ray Allen did

Mass Debator
03-26-2015, 05:43 PM
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ray-allen-1.html

His position is listed as a ? so it could be true...

KobesFinger
03-26-2015, 05:54 PM
What about Magic? Again, I don't remember the source but I think I read somewhere that he committed to MSU because the coach/whoever recruited him promised he could play PG

Found the source. Its Wikipedia but:

"His college decision came down to Michigan and Michigan State in East Lansing. He ultimately decided to attend Michigan State when coach Jud Heathcote told him he could play the point guard position. The talent already on Michigan State's roster also drew him to the program"

JimmyMcAdocious
03-26-2015, 06:00 PM
I'm sure plenty were in high school. The wing Justin Jackson on UNC was pretty much the center and PG on his high school team. He played in homeschool league tho. But there are a bunch of shity basketball divisions across the country with likely a top talent or two who played ball there.

College? I got to think about that. I know there's been PFs who transitioned to SG. I think in like the 70s and earlier when NBA talents would play wherever, there must have been wings who played center.

Looks like Billy Cunningham and Larry Bird did in college and went on to have HOF at SF in the pros. Can't confirm.

Mass Debator
03-26-2015, 06:09 PM
I'm sure plenty were in high school. The wing Justin Jackson on UNC was pretty much the center and PG on his high school team. He played in homeschool league tho. But there are a bunch of shity basketball divisions across the country with likely a top talent or two who played ball there.

College? I got to think about that. I know there's been PFs who transitioned to SG.
Care to share which SGs in the NBA were PFs?

There are plenty of guards who grow into big men roles, but I never hear it the other way around. I believe that you must play like a guard during your first organized years in high school to ultimately develop the skills to become one in the pros.

L.Kizzle
03-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Adrian Dantley and Hersey Hawkins.

JimmyMcAdocious
03-26-2015, 06:50 PM
Care to share which SGs in the NBA were PFs?

There are plenty of guards who grow into big men roles, but I never hear it the other way around. I believe that you must play like a guard during your first organized years in high school to ultimately develop the skills to become one in the pros.

Andre Roberson was a PF at Colorado. He's a SG for OKC, yah?

PJ Hairston played PF his final year at Carolina. SG in the NBA. Although he was a SG/SF earlier in his career. Was David Noel SG on the Bucks? I know he played PF in college.

I think Rodney Hood is a SG for the Jazz. He played PF at times.

Not sure if that's what you are looking for. Seems like you are searching for players like Aldridge or another traditional type of post player who ended up as a guard. Can't think of players like that. However pretraining purely to the question asked, you have to consider there aren't many 6-10+ players everywhere and many teams are playing small ball with a wing at the 4. Sometimes those wings translate better to SG than SF in the NBA because of size or whatnot. It's kind of cheating but whatever.

CavaliersFTW
03-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Yes, Earl Monroe was a center in high school.

Elgin Baylor also played a bit of center in high school I believe.

UK2K
03-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Anthony Davis played point guard in high school.

And center in college

Then power forward in the NBA.

Xiao Yao You
03-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Andre Roberson was a PF at Colorado. He's a SG for OKC, yah?

PJ Hairston played PF his final year at Carolina. SG in the NBA. Although he was a SG/SF earlier in his career. Was David Noel SG on the Bucks? I know he played PF in college.

I think Rodney Hood is a SG for the Jazz. He played PF at duke.

I imagine we'll see him there at times for the Jazz in the future too.

When I was in school it was rare for a team to have someone over 6'6 at center not named Pollard around here so I'm sure it's not uncommon.

Xiao Yao You
03-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Gobert was a guard before he grew.

SHAQisGOAT
Probably a few SF's, can't think of any big name though... At least while being the main center for the team then SF (or SG) in the pros, but it's easy to tell who had the "ability" for it.

Looks like Billy Cunningham and Larry Bird did in college and went on to have HOF at SF in the pros.

Larry wasn't their main C, let's say, Alex Gilbert was although Bird played sometimes at the 5 too.
Gilbert was drafted by the Bucks in the 6th round but never played a game. A 6'8, athletic C/PF.

Anyways, Larry was always more - and projected as - a terrific all-around and versatile (stretch) 4, body/athleticism more for it too... But spent his peak years as more of a SF on offense, and early on used to take turns switching with Maxwell on both ends, even though Bird was listed as a PF, Cornbread was more of a 4 on offense.

Adrian Dantley

For real? I mean, not no one player could really check AD in the post (big or small) but the paint defense must've been terrible. Dantly only started to care for D in his time with the Pistons.

What about Magic? Again, I don't remember the source but I think I read somewhere that he committed to MSU because the coach/whoever recruited him promised he could play PG

Found the source. Its Wikipedia but:

"His college decision came down to Michigan and Michigan State in East Lansing. He ultimately decided to attend Michigan State when coach Jud Heathcote told him he could play the point guard position. The talent already on Michigan State's roster also drew him to the program"

Watching those games, Magic didn't really play like a big, let's call it. Weren't Jay Vincent and Ron Charles the centers for Michigan State, also?

Crystallas
Tyrone Bogues

dubeta
03-26-2015, 07:30 PM
The correct answer is T Mac

Look it up.

D-FENS
03-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Derek Harper played center in high school

bdreason
03-26-2015, 09:52 PM
How about some Euro guys. Maybe Peja or Kukoc or Schrempf or Kirilenko. Not sure what position these guys played in Europe.

TripleA
03-26-2015, 10:02 PM
I think jan vesely played center in europe but for some reason the wizards thought he could play small forward .

hateraid
03-26-2015, 10:28 PM
Adrian Dantley and Hersey Hawkins.
As a Hersey Hawkins historian I concur he played center at Bradley

Prime_Shaq
03-26-2015, 10:31 PM
Yeah its true. He played Center and his coach even said he had the flatest shot he's ever seen :lol

TripleA
03-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Most people in high school over 6,5 are centers and they gain skills to move to guard