PDA

View Full Version : Ewing, Shaq or Hakeem out of college?

Marchesk
03-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Not knowing their NBA careers, which one would you draft?

We can throw Sampson and Duncan in there as well. So it's a question of which one was the most impressive NBA prospect coming out of college.

Edit: add Robinson

Smoke117
03-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Shaq
Robinson
Sampson
Ewing
Hakeem
Duncan

That's without taking hindsight into account.

Marchesk
03-26-2015, 11:07 PM
Shaq
Robinson
Ewing
Sampson
Hakeem
Duncan

I forgot to include Robinson.

Knicksfever2010
03-26-2015, 11:12 PM
Ewing and its not even close. No other big man on the list powered their team to a NCAA title.

Marchesk
03-26-2015, 11:15 PM
Ewing and its not even close. No other big man on the list powered their team to a NCAA title.

They were saying Ewing's hands would be full of rings when he was drafted. I also remember them saying that Sampson would revolutionize the game.

matty p
03-27-2015, 05:21 AM
Would Davis or Oden be taken above any of them?

buddha
03-27-2015, 05:41 AM
Shaq (because of age)
Ewing
Robinson
Hakeem

BigNBAfan
03-27-2015, 05:47 AM

No, besides... werent both injured their last year?

L.Kizzle
03-27-2015, 09:05 AM
They were saying Ewing's hands would be full of rings when he was drafted. I also remember them saying that Sampson would revolutionize the game.
Sampson some what did.

SsKSpurs21
03-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Shaq
Robinson
Sampson
Ewing
Hakeem
Duncan

That's without taking hindsight into account.

This list is how i see it as well.

Shaq and Robinson were beasts. I understand that Ewing lead georgetown to a title but he wasnt the force that Shaq and dave were.

shaq averaged 21 and 13 4blks at LSU
Dave averaged 21 and 10 4blks at Navy
sampson averaged 16 and 11 3blks at Virginia
ewing average 15 and 9 3blks at georgetown
Hakeem averaged 13 and 10 4blks at UH
duncan averaged 16 and 12 4blks at WF

duncans senior year he average 20 and 14 with 3.3blks. people forget he started to play organized basketball at age 16.

imdaman99
03-27-2015, 11:27 AM
I was too young for this, but I have heard the hype around Ewing was ridiculous when he came out. He was supposed to have Bill Russell defense. He fell far short of that, although he was still decent on defense. He was far from the best defensive player in the NBA during his time. I remember Riley having to switch him off Olajuwon in the Finals :facepalm

L.Kizzle
03-27-2015, 11:54 AM
I was too young for this, but I have heard the hype around Ewing was ridiculous when he came out. He was supposed to have Bill Russell defense. He fell far short of that, although he was still decent on defense. He was far from the best defensive player in the NBA during his time. I remember Riley having to switch him off Olajuwon in the Finals :facepalm
His knees were shot.

DCL
03-27-2015, 12:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ih2EnUeCyU

19yo shaq was already a monster

imdaman99
03-27-2015, 12:17 PM
His knees were shot.
As a kid, who really knew what knee problems were? :lol

All I thought was, wtf why is he so lazy and slow on defense???!!!!!! :rant OMG I CANT BELIEVE OLAJUWON IS DRIVING RIGHT AROUND HIM AT WILL :rant :rant :rant

ShawkFactory
03-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Aside from Lew I don't think there's anyone ever I would pick over Shaq out of college.

Demitri98
03-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Shaq
Duncan
Robinson
Ewing
Hakeem
Sampson

if they are raw prospects and their real future is unknown

I think everyone knew Shaq and Duncan would be great. Front offices knew Ewing and Robinson would be pretty good. Sampson was an injury risk and Hakeem was extremely high-risk, high reward.

Prime_Shaq
03-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Aside from Lew I don't think there's anyone ever I would pick over Shaq out of college.
:applause:

Siemens
03-27-2015, 01:42 PM

Oden probably. He was widely considered a once in a generation player.

Marchesk
03-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Oden probably. He was widely considered a once in a generation player.

Was he though? Is that still the consensus if he could have stayed healthy?

SsKSpurs21
03-27-2015, 02:08 PM

he definitely was. there were articles in Sports Illustrated about him in middle school being the next shaq and david robinson. david was his favorite player which is why he also wore #50. teams were tanking that year to get a chance to draft him.

Siemens
03-27-2015, 02:24 PM

I don't think that is still the consensus, but at the time it was.

KungFuJoe
03-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Maybe my memory is hazy but I don't recall a lot of hype around Duncan. He was a four year college player and most heralded guys came out early. Robinson was the exception because of his Navy commitment.

Either way, out of all those guys Shaq had the most buzz and hype. It was pretty ridiculous.

Smoke117
03-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Shaq
Duncan
Robinson
Ewing
Hakeem
Sampson

if they are raw prospects and their real future is unknown

I think everyone knew Shaq and Duncan would be great. Front offices knew Ewing and Robinson would be pretty good. Sampson was an injury risk and Hakeem was extremely high-risk, high reward.

Duncan wasn't heralded as much as any of those guys coming out of college...hence why I have him last on my list. Fact of the matter is, he is by far the weakest athlete of the bunch and when you are drafting that is going to be an important attribute you are looking at. Shaq and Robinson were by far the two most hyped because of what physical specimens they were and they would go on to have what are still the two best rookie seasons over the last 35 years. Sampson had a lot of hype too because of how big he was and how he could move and Ewing was expected to come in and dominate defensively right from the beginning.

Hakeem had great physical gifts, but started playing basketball later than most and was still developing. Even Alonzo Mourning had more hype than Duncan. If all these guys were in a draft, Duncan would certainly be drafted last. That has no bearing on how their careers played out...just what kind of prospects they were.

SsKSpurs21
03-27-2015, 04:25 PM
Duncan wasn't heralded as much as any of those guys coming out of college...hence why I have him last on my list. Fact of the matter is, he is by far the weakest athlete of the bunch and when you are drafting that is going to be an important attribute you are looking at. Shaq and Robinson were by far the two most hyped because of what physical specimens they were and they would go on to have what are still the two best rookie seasons over the last 35 years. Sampson had a lot of hype too because of how big he was and how he could move and Ewing was expected to come in and dominate defensively right from the beginning.

Hakeem had great physical gifts, but started playing basketball later than most and was still developing. Even Alonzo Mourning had more hype than Duncan. If all these guys were in a draft, Duncan would certainly be drafted last. That has no bearing on how their careers played out...just what kind of prospects they were.

yup. similar to hakeem, duncan started playing basketball at 16 and was still polishing his game. i remember it was about 60/40 split between him and keith van horn for the #1 pick. alot of analysts loved van horn because he played like dirk... a 7 footer with range and that was the hot commodity at the time.

not to say that noone cared for duncan...rick pitino at the time offered the spurs the entire celtics roster for duncan, but out of all the guys listed, duncan had the least hype.

SsKSpurs21
03-27-2015, 04:27 PM
there is also a lottery draft conspiracy that Ewing was suppose to be the next great star and stern wanted him in NY. if you look at the draft lottery, one envelope has a bent corner which was the Knicks.

game3524
03-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Kareem is the only man I would consider taking over Shaq out of college.

MJistheGOAT
03-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Kareem is the only man I would consider taking over Shaq out of college.

Agreed.
With a solid work ethic Shaq should be GOAT, and I refer to CONSENSUS GOAT. What a waste of talent :cry:

On the list

Shaq
D Rob
Ewing
Hakeem
Duncan

game3524
03-27-2015, 08:02 PM
Agreed.
With a solid work ethic Shaq should be GOAT, and I refer to CONSENSUS GOAT. What a waste of talent :cry:

On the list

Shaq
D Rob
Ewing
Hakeem
Duncan

I wouldn't go that far(dude is still a top 10 player of all-time), but Shaq should have had a career where he is in the discussion along with MJ, Kareem, Russell etc. when it comes to GOAT.

Nowitness
03-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Bill Walton >>>> Every other C ever out of the college.

Knicksfever2010
03-27-2015, 11:58 PM
ewing was so hyped out of college, and thats before the days of twitter/youtube. ESPN didnt really blow up yet, and Ewing STILL was considered the next Bill Russell. The problem was that the Knicks asked him to change his game. He was asked to become a scorer and devote all his practice time to learning how to shoot a jumpshot.

If the Knicks had Bernard King at full health, and Ewing was asked to fill the role of a Russell, it wouldnt have been a problem. The Knicks never surrounded him with a scorer. After Ewing the next scoring threat was John Starks.

Ewing was a MONSTER on defense at Georgetown. So all of a sudden he forgot how to play like that in the pros? NOPE.

LAZERUSS
03-28-2015, 12:03 AM
Bill Walton >>>> Every other C ever out of the college.

Nope...second best...but nowhere near the career, nor dominance of Alcindor.

matty p
03-28-2015, 02:55 AM
No, besides... werent both injured their last year?

No, Davis played one season at Kentucky and won every imaginable college award (National Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year, All-American etc), averaging 14 pts, 10 rbs and 5 blks while leading his team to the National Championship as the Tournament's Most Outstanding Player.

Oden also only played one season in which he was a first-team All-American and Defensive Player of the Year averaging 16 pts, 10 rbs and 3 blks while leading his team to the National Championship game. He was seen as a once in a generation C and picked at number 1 ahead of Durant who had just had one of the greatest freshman seasons in the history of college basketball.

I'm asking whether either of these 2 were better prospects coming out of college than any of the other 6 names mentioned (Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Duncan and Sampson)?