PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Love's FA Options outside of Cleveland:

RightToCensor
03-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Briefly breaking down the Top Three candidates who will defiantly have the cap space before trades by the time Free Agency arrives.

Los Angeles Lakers: The franchise is still looking for its successor for the Kobe Bryant, and frankly this team will throw money to any All-Star on the market. This move can be a building block to potentially reuniting Love and his former UCLA Teammate Russell Westbrook together in the coming years when his contract is set to expire.

New York Knicks: The greatest coach of all-time (so far) looks like a pedestrian front office executive. There's more risk than reward playing with the Knicks, who currently have a maxed out superstar, a dilemma in the coaching chair, a flawed system, and the uncertainty of the NBA Draft.

Boston Celtics: The Celtics can squeeze Kevin Love into a contract similar to Lamarcus Aldridge's 15-16 million per year salary. Boston offers a lay low destination for a season as the franchise waits to clear additional cap room (from Gerald Wallace's contract) to look for its next Big Three. Brad Stevens has came into his own as a very respectable coach, Marcus Smart is closer than he was five months ago from finding his role, Isiah Thomas has proven to be an electric scorer on the perimeter, Evan Turner is doing Evan Turner things with his box score numbers, Kelly Olynyk and Jared Sullinger are respectable outside-inside big men, Avery Bradley is still and elite defender that does "things on offense", and James Young is still there learning to play defense in the D-League.

I have:
1. Boston Celtics
2. Los Angeles Lakers
3. New York Knicks

christian1923
03-27-2015, 11:55 PM
Love aint an all star

And he already said he's staying in Cleveland

Genaro
03-27-2015, 11:57 PM
I don't know if either Lakers or Celtics needs him.
Lakers have Randle and might want to give him a chance before going all in for Love and Celtics really need a rim protector, they already have 2 young and cheap guys who do what Love does.

RightToCensor
03-28-2015, 12:01 AM
Love aint an all star

And he already said he's staying in Cleveland
Because 26/12/4 aren't All-Star numbers... You're acting like he has some career depriving injury recently happen to him. He's been relegated to becoming Ryan Anderson.

And didn't Love say he was staying in Minnesota? The main priority for players is to make the media happy.

LoneyROY7
03-28-2015, 12:02 AM
Knicks are the best fit...would allow him to play no defense and chuck up shots alongside Carmelo Anthony.

dubeta
03-28-2015, 12:04 AM
Because 26/12/4 aren't All-Star numbers... You're acting like he has some career depriving injury recently happen to him. He's been relegated to becoming Ryan Anderson.

And didn't Love say he was staying in Minnesota? The main priority for players is to make the media happy.

Stats dont mean much, Harden gets 27/6/6 but we know he's a scrub.

bballnoob1192
03-28-2015, 12:04 AM
Lakers have Randle and might want to give him a chance before going all in for Love and Celtics really need a rim protector, they already have 2 young and cheap guys who do what Love does.
if they have a shot at love they will jsut trade randle and some of their vets for a backup 4 that plays defense

RightToCensor
03-28-2015, 12:05 AM
26 PPG, 12 RPG, 4 APG

Because one-handed Julius Randle or Kelly Olynyk can put up those numbers.

The Celtics or Lakers don't want to be in the hell hole of the lottery or a low seed in the playoffs. You start by picking up a go-to player, and the Lakers defiantly aren't gonna draft or trade for one.

Ancient Legend
03-28-2015, 12:07 AM

:applause: :applause: :applause:

christian1923
03-28-2015, 12:16 AM

I'm just saying he wasn't an all star this year, in his prime..

He's gonna wait till the salary goes up before he signs a long term deal. If he's smart

RightToCensor
03-28-2015, 12:21 AM
I'm just saying he wasn't an all star this year, in his prime..

He's gonna wait till the salary goes up before he signs a long term deal. If he's smart
It'll be interesting if he does sign long term this offseason. With the cap going up he may be able to fit two more max players on the roster taking paycuts (in terms of the increased salary cap). He'd also be playing with a good coach and some good perimeter defenders.

Hey Yo
03-28-2015, 12:21 AM
26 PPG, 12 RPG, 4 APG

The Celtics or Lakers don't want to be in the hell hole of the lottery or a low seed in the playoffs. You start by picking up a go-to player, and the Lakers defiantly aren't gonna draft or trade for one.
On a non playoff team for 5 straight years!

He's winning now and more happy not having to put up 26-12-4 while losing by 16

dazzer87
03-28-2015, 12:24 AM
Hopefully he gets max money from the Lakers....

chocolatethunder
03-28-2015, 12:25 AM
Briefly breaking down the Top Three candidates who will defiantly have the cap space before trades by the time Free Agency arrives.

Los Angeles Lakers: The franchise is still looking for its predecessor for the Kobe Bryant, and frankly this team will throw money to any All-Star on the market. This move can be a building block to potentially reuniting Love and his former UCLA Teammate Russell Westbrook together in the coming years when his contract is set to expire.

New York Knicks: The greatest coach of all-time (so far) looks like a pedestrian front office executive. There's more risk than reward playing with the Knicks, who currently have a maxed out superstar, a dilemma in the coaching chair, a flawed system, and the uncertainty of the NBA Draft.

Boston Celtics: The Celtics can squeeze Kevin Love into a contract similar to Lamarcus Aldridge's 15-16 million per year salary. Boston offers a lay low destination for a season as the franchise waits to clear additional cap room (from Gerald Wallace's contract) to look for its next Big Three. Brad Stevens has came into his own as a very respectable coach, Marcus Smart is closer than he was five months ago from finding his role, Isiah Thomas has proven to be an electric scorer on the perimeter, Evan Turner is doing Evan Turner things with his box score numbers, Kelly Olynyk and Jared Sullinger are respectable outside-inside big men, Avery Bradley is still and elite defender that does "things on offense", and James Young is still there learning to play defense in the D-League.

I have:
1. Boston Celtics
2. Los Angeles Lakers
3. New York Knicks
Do you know what that word means?

RightToCensor
03-28-2015, 12:25 AM
On a non playoff team for 5 straight years!

He's winning now and more happy not having to put up 26-12-4 while losing by 16
Playing under Kurt Rambis and other trash ass coaches... I'm possibly ruling out New York since they try to run the triangle the same way Kurt did in Minnesota.

Put him next to Brad Stevens and a Celtics team that's already an 8th seed and good things will happen. The way the Celtics shoot 3s is a perfect compliment for Kevin Love down low.

RightToCensor
03-28-2015, 12:26 AM
good catch

BlackVVaves
03-28-2015, 09:52 AM

:roll: +1

BlackVVaves
03-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Agree with the OP's list of contenders for Love's services.

The question is: what's the force behind his ambition? Individual prominence or collective dominance? Because until Bron begins to decline, Love will have to accept the role of third string, for his entire prime.

ralph_i_el
03-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Didn't you used to be funny?

L.A.Showtime
03-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Lakers. He is getting tired of not playing his style because of LeBron.

L.A.Showtime
03-28-2015, 03:41 PM

:roll:

Nash
03-28-2015, 03:45 PM
he won't go anywhere, think of it for a second.

First of all, whoever gets him must be able to give him the max. Also, they need to be a real contender since I don't see Love going back to missing playoffs and actually have a need in the PF spot.

Which leaves who exactly? all the teams op mentioned are years from being real threats.

At this point I see Love just signing the max and be happy with competing for championships for many years to come.

Sarcastic
03-28-2015, 04:23 PM
he won't go anywhere, think of it for a second.

First of all, whoever gets him must be able to give him the max. Also, they need to be a real contender since I don't see Love going back to missing playoffs and actually have a need in the PF spot.

Which leaves who exactly? all the teams op mentioned are years from being real threats.

At this point I see Love just signing the max and be happy with competing for championships for many years to come.

He hates playing with Bran. Contrary to what all people believe, but some players actually like their stats. Stats is what pays the bills. Every sane person on the planet would rather have Barkley's career than Robert Horry's.

Hey Yo
03-28-2015, 05:02 PM
He hates playing with Bran. Contrary to what all people believe, but some players actually like their stats. Stats is what pays the bills. Every sane person on the planet would rather have Barkley's career than Robert Horry's.
Do you think Love will avg. better than 16.2ppg, 6.6rpg, 1.1apg and 1blk this season?

Cause that's what Bosh avg. last season and Miami had no problem offering him a max deal.

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 06:13 PM
I'm a Laker fan and I pray to God we don't get him. The guy is an oddity. He's a "big" but he can't protect the paint nor does he have a post up game. So he doesn't do anything that a conventional "big" is supposed to do. Yeah, he rebounds but that's it for a big. He's a glorified Ryan Anderson. You are not winning a ring if he's your top 1 or 2 player. He is just a guy who will put up great numbers on bad teams.

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Do you think Love will avg. better than 16.2ppg, 6.6rpg, 1.1apg and 1blk this season?

Cause that's what Bosh avg. last season and Miami had no problem offering him a max deal.

Bosh protects the paint and is a much better defender. He is more athletic and can take you off the dribble. He's got a deadly midrange. Bosh is many times better than Love. Stats don't tell the whole story. Sometimes guys can put up meaningless stats.

Hey Yo
03-28-2015, 06:22 PM
Bosh protects the paint and is a much better defender. He is more athletic and can take you off the dribble. He's got a deadly midrange. Bosh is many times better than Love. Stats don't tell the whole story. Sometimes guys can put up meaningless stats.
I agree.

But dude I quoted said "stats pay the bills" and by looking at Bosh's regular season and Finals stats from last season, he shouldn't be getting the max according to him.

navy
03-28-2015, 06:23 PM
I'm a Laker fan and I pray to God we don't get him. The guy is an oddity. He's a "big" but he can't protect the paint nor does he have a post up game. So he doesn't do anything that a conventional "big" is supposed to do. Yeah, he rebounds but that's it for a big. He's a glorified Ryan Anderson. You are not winning a ring if he's your top 1 or 2 player. He is just a guy who will put up great numbers on bad teams.
He has a great post game. In fact, he has the most complete offensive arsenal for his position, if you take into account 3 pointers. It's why he can put up 26 a game on good efficiency. He just cant dominate on offense consistently. It's why even when he was the number 1 in Minny he couldnt score in the fourth, defenses can take him out of the game.

I wouldnt build my franchise around him as he is a big who cant play multiple postions, doesnt defend, and isnt a leader in any sense of the word. But he's no scrub.

navy
03-28-2015, 06:24 PM
I agree.

But dude I quoted said "stats pay the bills" and by looking at Bosh's regular season and Finals stats from last season, he shouldn't be getting the max according to him.
Bosh probably shouldnt be getting the max to be honest...

Genaro
03-28-2015, 06:26 PM
26 PPG, 12 RPG, 4 APG

The way I see it, both these teams are trying to rebuild the right way and go for a star in the draft or FA. Love isn't that guy. He's the reason why people (including myself) tells that stats can be misleading.

If Cavs offer him the max, witch I think they will, IMO he will stay there.

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 06:30 PM
He has a great post game. In fact, he has the most complete offensive arsenal for his position, if you take into account 3 pointers. It's why he can put up 26 a game on good efficiency. He just cant dominate on offense consistently. It's why even when he was the number 1 in Minny he couldnt score in the fourth, defenses can take him out of the game.

I wouldnt build my franchise around him as he is a big who cant play multiple postions, doesnt defend, and isnt a leader in any sense of the word. But he's no scrub.

What? He has great post up game? How so? What can he do down low? Please explain his great post up game?

navy
03-28-2015, 06:32 PM
What? He has great post up game? How so? What can he do down low? Please explain his great post up game?
He can score on good efficiency at like .99 point per post up. Good hook shot, positions his body well so he draws fouls.

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 06:46 PM
He can score on good efficiency at like .99 point per post up. Good hook shot, positions his body well so he draws fouls.

Yeah, but he's not a big who can anchor your offense down low. In that way, he's an oddity. He's technically a big but does little of the things you expect from a big. Your big should either protect the paint or possess a post up game (of course speaking of star bigs). He does neither. So his overall value is questionable.

I wouldn't want him for the max. If I want a .500 team, sure. But to win a ring, you won't with him as your best or 2nd best player.

navy
03-28-2015, 06:52 PM
Yeah, but he's not a big who can anchor your offense down low. In that way, he's an oddity. He's technically a big but does little of the things you expect from a big. Your big should either protect the paint or possess a post up game (of course speaking of star bigs). He does neither. So his overall value is questionable.

I wouldn't want him for the max. If I want a .500 team, sure. But to win a ring, you won't with him as your best or 2nd best player.
Well, bigs anchoring offenses are gone these days. But Im just saying, Kevin Love can score there.

Worse players than Love have won rings though. I agree, I wouldnt offer him the max if Im looking to win the chip. But who knows, if im a struggling franchise looking to stay competitive and Love is the only chance I have at good player, you could see the trigger pulled. You just have to know what you are expecting.

Bricklayer
03-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Well, bigs anchoring offenses are gone these days. But Im just saying, Kevin Love can score there.

Worse players than Love have won rings though. I agree, I wouldnt offer him the max if Im looking to win the chip. But who knows, if im a struggling franchise looking to stay competitive and Love is the only chance I have at good player, you could see the trigger pulled. You just have to know what you are expecting.

Which is why the Jazz should go after him.

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 08:01 PM

There are quite a few guys today who can anchor your offense down low. Just on top of my head, the two Gasols, Zbo, Jefferson, Cousins, Monroe, Duncan, Pekovic, Aldrige. And some youngster who might get there in Whiteside and Davis. The league will always have bigs who you can run offenses through. It's part of the game.

But I see your points on everything else.