PDA

View Full Version : Bold Statement: Klay Thompson might be a better player than Reggie Miller

1987_Lakers
03-28-2015, 02:50 AM
Food for thought, Klay Thompson this year has averaged more points and has a higher 3PT% than any version of Reggie Miller from 1992-2005.

Thompson this year is shooting 43.5% from 3 point land. The highest Reggie Miller ever averaged was 42.9% in 1998.

Thompson this year is averaging 21.7 PPG in only 32 MPG. Reggie Miller from the 1991-92 season up until he retired never averaged that many points despite playing 36 MPG from '92-'02.

Thompson is considered one of the top defending shooting guards in the league. Reggie Miller was never known for his defense.

Of course, Thompson never led a team deep into the playoffs or had classic playoff battles against very good teams, which is a good reason to take Miller over Thompson, but at the same time... Miller's battles with the Knicks is one of the reasons why he got so overrated by the media and some fans.

bdreason
03-28-2015, 03:14 AM
Reggie Miller is one of those players whose legacy has expanded since he retired. He was a very good player, with some great playoff moments. Claiming Klay is as good or better than prime Reggie isn't much of a stretch. Klay still needs to pay his dues though.

kennethgriffin
03-28-2015, 03:18 AM
possibly

reggie was more clutch though

jordans competition was pretty weak at the 2guard spot

Siemens
03-28-2015, 04:39 AM
Bold statement or wrong statement? I can't decide.

Im Still Ballin
03-28-2015, 04:40 AM
This isn't a statement

You're sitting on the fence ("might")

Make a decision OP.

Spurs m8
03-28-2015, 04:47 AM
**** Reggie

Reggie43
03-28-2015, 05:05 AM
Certainly arguable. No need to remove Miller's highest scoring years, or the fact that Reggie is significantly much more efficient at shooting the ball overall.

SyRyanYang
03-28-2015, 06:27 AM
Klay averages more per 36 this season than Reggie ever did.
Not nearly as efficient though.

iamgine
03-28-2015, 06:39 AM
He's the new Reggie Miller/Glen Rice/Mitch Richmond

Blue&Orange
03-28-2015, 07:17 AM
I have no doubt Reggie Miller today would have been a better 3pt shooter than Reggie Miller of 1992-2005, because that's how the game evolved.

Now defensively Klay is very very solid, i feel like saying a beast, but i just watched a couple of gsw games.

RoseCity07
03-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Except Reggie was the best player on his team and they were made it to the ECFs and Finals when the east had good teams. Klay has a lot to prove in the playoffs.

SwayDizzle
03-28-2015, 07:43 AM
Except Reggie was the best player on his team and they were made it to the ECFs and Finals when the east had good teams. Klay has a lot to prove in the playoffs.
this

NugzFan
03-28-2015, 10:37 AM
Ish is flooded with posters who are like 14 and probably never saw reggie play.

Bandito
03-28-2015, 11:20 AM
It is arguable and this is coming from a Huge Reggie Fan. Klay is that good but he needs more time to prove himself in his career even more. Hes too green but when its all said and done if he continue the way hes been he could be better.

atljonesbro
03-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Yeah he's definitely better. Miller is one of the most overrated players of all time because people buy into media hype so easily

Derka
03-28-2015, 02:51 PM
And boom goes the dynamite. Repped.

Milbuck
03-28-2015, 03:00 PM
Dude is putting up 22/3/3/1/1 on 46/44/88 shooting, with terrific defense. On the best team in the league..although as a second option. And he's 25. Considering he doesn't rely on his athleticism, it's entirely possible he keeps improving for another 4-5 years. Reggie is better than current Klay but Klay has all the potential to pass him up at least as an individual player in the half decade or so. Legacy-wise it's gonna be tough to outshine Reggie's clutch moments.

pauk
03-29-2015, 08:11 AM
If you watched prime Reggie & was aware of his character you would know he is one of those few guys in NBA history where "stats tell a lie".... the guy was an evil TROLL, especially in the regular season, i mean he would often deliberately coast / keep the games close there just to make it seem like you have a chance and then go ham in the 4th quarter / clutch and laugh at you or give you the "choke sign"...... he was a pure troll.... everybody hated him & he loved it...

Reggie averaged 18 ppg for his career, but most of it would come in the 4th quarter / clutch..... and 2-3 points of that was of gamewinners :D

...and i dont know how this works, but it works, Reggie really somehow upped his game dramatically under difficult scrutiny/boos/crap from players/fans etc... he would turn into a superstar and/or best player in the game...

Klay is a better defender & looks identical statistically, but it is arbitrary, he is more comparable to Allan Houston or something, he doesnt possess the on-demand legendary specific intangibles & killer instinct Reggie did to impact.... Reggie was the GOAT what he called "mind warfare" guy aswell, he would trashtalk & get into your skin (anybodies skin, even Michael Jordan) and make you CHOKE/underperform, meanwhile firing him up to play even better.... shit like that doesnt show up on the statsheet, but affects the game.... its that eye-test thing and you have to wait until playoffs / the toughest stages aswell....

Reggie was not a chucker / selfish either, he was a team player who initiated "takeover/assassin mode" when very necessary (in the 4th). If he was he would easily averaged ~30 ppg at some point in his career..... The highest amount of FGA Reggie ever took was 29 and there he scored 57 points..........

You really have to go into context when evaluating Reggie Miller....... if you dont, then all you see is his statsheet.... where you go "Meh, why is this guy a Hall of Famer? Why is he so overrated? WTF? Even Klay Thompson might be better" ....

sportjames23
03-29-2015, 09:05 AM
possibly

reggie was more clutch though

jordans competition was pretty weak at the 2guard spot

And yet, MJ was still better than any 2guard from Kobe's era, including Kobe.

ILLsmak
03-29-2015, 09:11 AM
the guy was an evil TROLL

:(

-Smak

Im so nba'd out
03-29-2015, 09:50 AM
:blah :blah Klay Thompson better than reggie miller:blah :blah
:durantunimpressed:

- Ayotunde Ndiaye

ZMonkey11
03-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Let's not forget Reggie's trash talk game was elite level. Guy definitely took people out of their game.

pauk
03-29-2015, 10:04 AM
:(

-Smak

Its true tho, like that 8 pts in 8 sec game for example, he was HORRIBLE that entire game, completely invisible, all Pacers had their head down, Knicks were high fiving & congratulating eachother on the clear win, Fans were walking & emptying out the arena.... but during that game he was trashtalking, telling them how they will choke & bla bla.... like seriously Reggie? Did you see the boxscore? At the end of that game before that 8 pts in 8 sec Reggie was the only one standing there midcourt like http://playshadowrun-com-forums.1045820.n5.nabble.com/file/n5706802/troll.png.... like he knew what was gona happen....

Dude was a pure troll... he loved these moments, to a point where he deliberately wanted them to happen, he was that confident in his ability at the end of the game, the tougher it got mentally the better he got.... easily the greatest clutch shooter/player i ever seen....

For 18 years sraight Reggie was the go-to-guy in the clutch and he made sure everybody knew he wanted the ball, even if Jordan played with him, he wanted to take those shots, he would let Jordan know, its MY TIME... every single game he made a clutch shot win or lose.... i wouldnt be surprised (and you shouldnt either) if he has hit the most gamewinners in NBA history, i personally have seen/remember 20 or so gamewinners from him, just in the 90s....

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Its true tho, like that 8 pts in 8 sec game for example, he was HORRIBLE that entire game, completely invisible, all Pacers had their head down, Knicks were high fiving & congratulating eachother on the clear win, Fans were walking & emptying out the arena.... but during that game he was trashtalking, telling them how they will choke & bla bla.... like seriously Reggie? Did you see the boxscore? At the end of that game before that 8 pts in 8 sec Reggie was the only one standing there midcourt like http://playshadowrun-com-forums.1045820.n5.nabble.com/file/n5706802/troll.png.... like he knew what was gona happen....

Dude was a pure troll... he loved these moments, to a point where he deliberately wanted them to happen, he was that confident in his ability at the end of the game, the tougher it got mentally the better he got.... easily the greatest clutch shooter/player i ever seen....

For 18 years sraight Reggie was the go-to-guy in the clutch and he made sure everybody knew he wanted the ball, even if Jordan played with him, he wanted to take those shots, he would let Jordan know, its MY TIME... every single game he made a clutch shot win or lose.... i wouldnt be surprised (and you shouldnt either) if he has hit the most gamewinners in NBA history, i personally have seen/remember 20 or so gamewinners from him, just in the 90s....
It's not even about the clutch, although, that's one of the better reasons. Dude raised his game in the playoffs like very few have.

Postseason scoring runs of:
27ppg on 58/63/80
32ppg on 53/53/90
26ppg on 48/42/86
24ppg on 45/40/94
31ppg on 46/43/90
24ppg on 51/42/88

Just remarkable efficiency and a legit shooting weapon come the postseason. He ****ed up a lot of gameplans. :oldlol:

A little OT, but I always thought Reggie retired a little too soon. Even now, there's spot-up shooters in the league probably no faster than Miller nor are they any better on defense than he would be, and you know they're not shooting any better (some making a nice living as NBA backups). To put it in another way, if Reggie had a new fake name and birth certificate, I bet he could play his way onto an NBA roster right now.

GOBB
03-29-2015, 11:26 AM
It's not even about the clutch, although, that's one of the better reasons. Dude raised his game in the playoffs like very few have.

Postseason scoring runs of:
27ppg on 58/63/80
32ppg on 53/53/90
26ppg on 48/42/86
24ppg on 45/40/94
31ppg on 46/43/90
24ppg on 51/42/88

Just remarkable efficiency and a legit shooting weapon come the postseason. He ****ed up a lot of gameplans. :oldlol:

A little OT, but I always thought Reggie retired a little too soon. Even now, there's spot-up shooters in the league probably no faster than Miller nor are they any better on defense than he would be, and you know they're not shooting any better (some making a nice living as NBA backups). To put it in another way, if Reggie had a new fake name and birth certificate, I bet he could play his way onto an NBA roster right now.

He was 39. :oldlol:

SugarHill
03-29-2015, 11:33 AM

:oldlol:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-29-2015, 11:44 AM
His last game, against one of the best defenses of the modern era, guy had 27 points on a ridiculous 70% shooting.

Guess my point is, Reggie had at least a few more productive seasons in him.

chazzy
03-29-2015, 11:52 AM
If you watched prime Reggie & was aware of his character you would know he is one of those few guys in NBA history where "stats tell a lie".... the guy was an evil TROLL, especially in the regular season, i mean he would often deliberately coast / keep the games close there just to make it seem like you have a chance and then go ham in the 4th quarter / clutch and laugh at you or give you the "choke sign"...... he was a pure troll.... everybody hated him & he loved it...

Reggie averaged 18 ppg for his career, but most of it would come in the 4th quarter / clutch..... and 2-3 points of that was of gamewinners :D

...and i dont know how this works, but it works, Reggie really somehow upped his game dramatically under difficult scrutiny/boos/crap from players/fans etc... he would turn into a superstar and/or best player in the game...

Klay is a better defender & looks identical statistically, but it is arbitrary, he is more comparable to Allan Houston or something, he doesnt possess the on-demand legendary specific intangibles & killer instinct Reggie did to impact.... Reggie was the GOAT what he called "mind warfare" guy aswell, he would trashtalk & get into your skin (anybodies skin, even Michael Jordan) and make you CHOKE/underperform, meanwhile firing him up to play even better.... shit like that doesnt show up on the statsheet, but affects the game.... its that eye-test thing and you have to wait until playoffs / the toughest stages aswell....

This post reads like a cookie cutter Kobe stan post.. throwing out stats and using "killer instinct" and "eye test" :lol

IncarceratedBob
03-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Skill wise klay is already better. Talent wise tho Reggie got him

3ball
03-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Claiming Klay is as good or better than prime Reggie isn't much of a stretch.

You guys are underrating how much better Reggie became in the playoffs.

There's a reason he was able to lead a team to the Finals as the #1 option against the toughest defenses, while Ray Allen couldn't come anywhere close:

Playoff Averages

MILLER: 20.6 PPG, 60.1% TS, 119 ORtg, 19.5 PER
ALLEN:. 16.1 PPG, 58.5% TS, 115 ORtg, 16.3 PER
KLAY:... 15.6 PPG, 52.1% TS, 106 ORtg, 10.8 PER

Plus Reggie had far better clutch performance than Ray or Klay is capable of.. Klay's got a LONG way to go - he hasn't shown he can do shit in the playoffs.

SpecialQue
03-29-2015, 01:59 PM
I love my negro Klay more than anything, but damn is he getting overrated as fvck around here. :lol