PDA

View Full Version : Kyle O' Quinn at my work

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 03:40 AM
I'm a server at a bar, and Friday's are busy as usual, then Mr. O' Quinn comes in.

I didn't realise it was him until he asked for cheque.

At first I was enthralled, "Woah, an NBA player at my restaurant, rad" my excitement was quickly quelled after I picked up his 291 dollar tab.

He left me 24 dollars.

If anyone comes in and says "I don't believe in tipping" or some Russwest-esque bullshit to justify why they don't tip.

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 03:42 AM
Moral of the story, Kyle O' Quinn is a piece of shit.

dubeta
03-28-2015, 03:46 AM
Whats so bad about 24 dollars?

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 03:50 AM
Whats so bad about 24 dollars?

I made more than that on cheques more than a hundred dollars less, that's barely 10%

It seems that people with more money feel less inclined to spend it.

You're thinking, wow 24 dollars? That's decent change. I should have made 60 dollars off that cheque, I would have even taken 40 because I'm usually lenient when it comes to big cheques, I don't expect people to shell out that kind of tip unless it's like a corporate meeting or something.

FreezingTsmoove
03-28-2015, 03:51 AM
My respect for the Magic has gone down

buddha
03-28-2015, 03:52 AM
Moral of the story, Kyle O' Quinn is a piece of shit.

you're the piece of shit who feels entitled to a 20% tip. :roll: :roll: :roll:

go to school and get a career waiter boy, you ask people what they want to eat, relay that message to a chef who cooks the food and then you bring it to his table and now you want to be paid extra despite your hourly wage? my ****ing god. I should get your IP address and pay you a visit.

literally any human alive could do your job. and quit spelling check incorrectly. they don't even ****ing tip in europe you slaggy ****.

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 03:53 AM

go to school and get a career waiter boy, you ask people what they want to eat, relay that message to a chef who cooks the food and then you bring it to his table and now you want to be paid extra despite your hourly wage? my ****ing god. I should get your IP address and pay you a visit.

I am a piece of shit :lol what's your point.

Also I'm in college bruh, you straight though I forgive you.

BlakFrankWhite
03-28-2015, 04:27 AM
Free money is free money

Akrazotile
03-28-2015, 04:33 AM

literally any human alive could do your job. and quit spelling check incorrectly. they don't even ****ing tip in europe you slaggy ****.

this

Siemens
03-28-2015, 04:37 AM
From the title, I imagined him going into an office filled with cubicles.

JimmyMcAdocious
03-28-2015, 04:48 AM
You should have fought him.

Giaodollo
03-28-2015, 04:56 AM
If someone orders a 100 dollar bottle of wine and another orders a 1000 dollar bottle why should the latter tip more? You are doing the same work dipshit. Be happy he gave you anything.

Lebron23
03-28-2015, 05:20 AM
Tipping. We are talking about tipping

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/campus-rivalry/2012/03/17/oquinnx-large.jpg

JohnFreeman
03-28-2015, 05:48 AM
Get a better job, there is a tip.

robert de niro
03-28-2015, 05:53 AM
please.

iamgine
03-28-2015, 06:08 AM
Is this one of those made up story?

BuffaloBill
03-28-2015, 06:14 AM
I don't care how much I spend, I'm not tipping anybody 60 dollars. That's ridiculous.

Im so nba'd out
03-28-2015, 06:16 AM
nice bait mate

Jameerthefear
03-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Is this one of those made up story?
no he really is a waiter in orlando

coin24
03-28-2015, 07:53 AM
Here's a tip, be good to your mother :oldlol:

shes good to me lol

SugarHill
03-28-2015, 08:04 AM
how are you mad that you got 24 dollars for doing relatively nothing? lol

Dro
03-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Obviously none of you have ever worked in the service industry, of ANY KIND. 15% at least is customary, thats why he said he'd be fine with 40$. Its a service, you come in to a bar and have people BRING you food. You don't have to sit in the drive thru, or stand in line, or keep getting up to get another drink, or actually make any effort other than simply paying for your food. If you can't tip at least 15% then you probably shouldn't take your azz to a place where someone is SERVING you....Go serve yourself...And I'm not even one who would probably trip if I didn't get tipped but I do tip wherever I go, or if I order food or whatever, unless its fast food or something, I tip..Its just the non-a-hole thing to do but we live in a world full of jerks obviously...

Giaodollo
03-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Obviously none of you have ever worked in the service industry, of ANY KIND. 15% at least is customary, thats why he said he'd be fine with 40$. Its a service, you come in to a bar and have people BRING you food. You don't have to sit in the drive thru, or stand in line, or keep getting up to get another drink, or actually make any effort other than simply paying for your food. If you can't tip at least 15% then you probably shouldn't take your azz to a place where someone is SERVING you....Go serve yourself...And I'm not even one who would probably trip if I didn't get tipped but I do tip wherever I go, or if I order food or whatever, unless its fast food or something, I tip..Its just the non-a-hole thing to do but we live in a world full of jerks obviously...

Let me ask you this. If I order a 100 dollar bottle of wine or a 1 000 dollar bottle of wine, what makes you worth 135 more dollars for the latter? Aren't you doing the same job?

warriorfan
03-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Let me ask you this. If I order a 100 dollar bottle of wine or a 1 000 dollar bottle of wine, what makes you worth 135 more dollars for the latter? Aren't you doing the same job?

Let's be serious you are too ghetto to order 1,000 dollar wine

coin24
03-28-2015, 09:06 AM

This is a perfect example:applause: the tip should be the same no matter what the person orders..
Self entitled piece of shit waiters:lol

It's basically the crappest job there is, if someone gives you a little extra you should be grateful, not putting a % figure on it..

Giaodollo
03-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Let's be serious you are too ghetto to order 1,000 dollar wine

Let's be serious, you're too retarded to envision a hypothetical situation.

warriorfan
03-28-2015, 09:09 AM
I tip well, I'm rich

Giaodollo
03-28-2015, 09:16 AM
I tip well, I'm rich

No one asked.

Dro
03-28-2015, 09:20 AM
This is a perfect example:applause: the tip should be the same no matter what the person orders..
Self entitled piece of shit waiters:lol

It's basically the crappest job there is, if someone gives you a little extra you should be grateful, not putting a % figure on it..
A job is a job...You don't know why a person works a certain job. If it pays the bills, who are you to call their job crappy? Maybe I'm just a different type of person but I come from nothing. I appreciate anything in life I'm able to achieve.

iamgine
03-28-2015, 09:31 AM
There's this arbitrary number of 10%-20% that's generally considered "normal". These are just numbers to help people know how much to tip in an average restaurant scenario where prices are usually $10-$15 per person. It doesn't account for special cases, whereby the food price are extremely high or extremely low.

For example, in a coffee shop where you enjoy your morning and get your coffee and toast for $2.20, you should tip around a dollar. But isn't that close to 50%? Yes it is, and it's fine. Similarly, if you order expensive wine and food and it turned out to be $2000, there's no need to tip $400. A $80-$100 tip would be fine, maybe $200 if you're feeling very generous.

People misunderstand the 10-20% rule as if that rule is meant for everything. It's not.

Legends66NBA7
03-28-2015, 10:24 AM
10-15 % is usually customary where I'm from.

If I feel the service is good (or other circumstances), I tip more.

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 11:06 AM

I don't expect anyone to tip me out the ass for just bringing them wine. If I bring them a 30 dollar wine bottle and don't see them for the rest of the night that's fine with me.

If I'm busting my ass bringing you food, making sure it's good (one lady said her food was cold, and I had it replaced in a busy ass kitchen, it wasn't cold at all), Making sure your drinks are filled and come out on time, bussing your table, and giving you a good experience all whilst having to attend the whole other half of the restaurant because we're understaffed on a Friday night. Shit dude even 35 dollars will suffice.

As a server, I'd love 20%. If the bill is high I don't expect people to tip out the butt load because even tipping 20 on 100 (I had 4 tables tip me 20 on a hundred or below) can be a little much especially if it's just two people. As a person I'm cynical as shit and I don't expect anything from any of you, I'd love any of you and I'd do it with a smile on my face.

I love all of you :)

Here's a tip, be good to your mother :oldlol:

I love my mother :(

jazz873
03-28-2015, 11:22 AM
This post makes me wonder how many times you have experienced something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ZXRlcoEW8

ralph_i_el
03-28-2015, 11:42 AM
They say you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat waiters.

Turns out ISH is full of assholes.

There's a reason why waiters don't want to serve black folks :confusedshrug: I'm fresh out of college and I'll leave $15 on a $60 dinner if they were quick with my drinks. These folks get a shit hourly wage for a really fast paced job, because tips are expected in America.

The Iron Sheik
03-28-2015, 12:05 PM

for real. just tip whatever you feel comfortable with. these specific percentages are just arbitrary bullshit

The Iron Sheik
03-28-2015, 12:08 PM
I don't expect anyone to tip me out the ass for just bringing them wine. If I bring them a 30 dollar wine bottle and don't see them for the rest of the night that's fine with me.

If I'm busting my ass bringing you food, making sure it's good (one lady said her food was cold, and I had it replaced in a busy ass kitchen, it wasn't cold at all), Making sure your drinks are filled and come out on time, bussing your table, and giving you a good experience all whilst having to attend the whole other half of the restaurant because we're understaffed on a Friday night. Shit dude even 35 dollars will suffice.

As a server, I'd love 20%. If the bill is high I don't expect people to tip out the butt load because even tipping 20 on 100 (I had 4 tables tip me 20 on a hundred or below) can be a little much especially if it's just two people. As a person I'm cynical as shit and I don't expect anything from any of you, I'd love any of you and I'd do it with a smile on my face.

I love all of you :)

I love my mother :(

there's no rule on how much is acceptable for a tip. to you $35 is acceptable. but what if $24 is an acceptable tip in the mind of kylo o'quinn?

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 12:42 PM

There's a reason why waiters don't want to serve black folks :confusedshrug: I'm fresh out of college and I'll leave $15 on a $60 dinner if they were quick with my drinks. These folks get a shit hourly wage for a really fast paced job, because tips are expected in America.

I knew the back lash I was gonna get when I made this thread, I was just waiting for the 10% of ISH that actually has an actual discussion.

there's no rule on how much is acceptable for a tip. to you $35 is acceptable. but what if $24 is an acceptable tip in the mind of kylo o'quinn?

For a 300 dollar cheque? I understand these are arbitrary rules and not everyone follows them, but there has to be some sort of guideline. When someone tips that low on a cheque that makes my sales go up wildly then I owe me
More than I make. I only made 141 bucks but sales were like 1400. Its a service, I'm not expecting 60 dollars from, but he gave me the same amount of money other people gave me on cheques less than a 100.

T_L_P
03-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Do you tip people at McDonald's, tbh?

CavaliersFTW
03-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Do you have an account on Reddit for r/NBA? This story deserves to be spread to the public enmass. Cheapskate NBA athletes deserve to get exposed.

TiagoSimoes
03-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Yes we do tip in europe, dunno what ur taking about.

24 dollars is a pretty good tip considering its free money and he wasnt to give u anything. Stop being a bitch

T_L_P
03-28-2015, 12:56 PM
I should have made 60 dollars off that cheque,

Are you being serious right now? You deserve three hours wage (I'm assuming the average US wage is around $20/ph?) because you brought some guy his food and acted friendly?

The fact that these people give you anything extra on top of your pay should be enough. People in the retail sector, or people who work in shitty fast food restaurants literally get nothing other than their basic hourly rate.

You're the piece of shit, tbh. :confusedshrug:

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Do you have an account on Reddit for r/NBA? This story deserves to be spread to the public enmass. Cheapskate NBA athletes deserve to get exposed.

Worst case scenario it gets traced back to me somehow and I lose my job, I don't really want to risk that.

I did think about it.

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 12:59 PM
Are you being serious right now? You deserve three hours wage (I'm assuming the average US wage is around $20/ph?) because you brought some guy his food and acted friendly?

The fact that these people give you anything extra on top of your pay should be enough. People in the retail sector, or people who work in shitty fast food restaurants literally get nothing extra.

You're the piece of shit, tbh. :confusedshrug:

It's called the service industry, also I get paid 4 bucks an hour. I can totally pay rent on that right?

20% dictates I should have made 60. Did I espect 60? No, I didn't expect basically 20 bucks either.

Thanks for telling me something I already know bro, maybe you should have read my prior posts.

sd3035
03-28-2015, 01:00 PM
I tip like $5, get a better job if you want to make more money. A monkey could do your job, in fact monkeys have

SugarHill
03-28-2015, 01:00 PM
:rolleyes:

sd3035
03-28-2015, 01:03 PM
I don't even know who Kyle is but I have new respect for him after reading this thread

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Bunch of keyboard warriors in here :lol

Still love you ISH fam

Cali Syndicate
03-28-2015, 01:10 PM
It's called the service industry, also I get paid 4 bucks an hour. I can totally pay rent on that right?

20% dictates I should have made 60. Did I espect 60? No, I didn't expect basically 20 bucks either.

Thanks for telling me something I already know bro, maybe you should have read my prior posts.

Maybe he didn't like your service. For me, tipping is mainly based on that and that alone. 10-20% goes out the window if the service is crap. Not saying you did, but maybe that's how he saw it...

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Maybe he didn't like your service. For me, tipping is mainly based on that and that alone. 10-20% goes out the window if the service is crap. Not saying you did, but maybe that's how he saw it...

The kitchen was backed up like crazy but I warned him
the food would take a while, we got them a free round of shots and his drinks came out promptly. I used my usual self deprecating humour to make them
laugh, I got along totally fine with them. They were polite to me so that's why in not too miffed about it.

It happens, I think it's a common thing with Sports players, I think LaSean McCoy did something even more ridiculous and his table was a bunch of jerks apparently.

sd3035
03-28-2015, 01:17 PM
The kitchen was backed up like crazy but I warned him
the food would take a while, we got them a free round of shots and his drinks came out promptly. I used my usual self deprecating humour to make them
laugh, I got along totally fine with them. They were polite to me so that's why in not too miffed about it.

It happens, I think it's a common thing with Sports players, I think LaSean McCoy did something even more ridiculous and his table was a bunch of jerks apparently.

Maybe He didn't understand your humor and just thought you were a loser

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Maybe He didn't understand your humor and just thought you were a loser

Well.. He's not wrong :lol

dubeta
03-28-2015, 01:21 PM
OP getting ethered :lol

Le Shaqtus
03-28-2015, 01:23 PM
OP getting ethered :lol

Good thing I have a good sense of humour then :D

tomtucker
03-28-2015, 02:02 PM

but nowhere else in the world, right ? :confusedshrug:

inclinerator
03-28-2015, 02:07 PM
give him a break he only has a networth of 1.5million dollars

BasedTom
03-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Well customers can't just walk into the kitchen take their food for themselves obviously...

Is it really that big of a deal?

NugzFan
03-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Is everyone here in high school or college? I remember being In college and not having cash so tipping was tough.

Now I easily give 20% or more unless service is absolutely terrible.

BasedTom
03-28-2015, 02:29 PM
There's this arbitrary number of 10%-20% that's generally considered "normal". These are just numbers to help people know how much to tip in an average restaurant scenario where prices are usually $10-$15 per person. It doesn't account for special cases, whereby the food price are extremely high or extremely low.

For example, in a coffee shop where you enjoy your morning and get your coffee and toast for $2.20, you should tip around a dollar. But isn't that close to 50%? Yes it is, and it's fine. Similarly, if you order expensive wine and food and it turned out to be $2000, there's no need to tip $400. A $80-$100 tip would be fine, maybe $200 if you're feeling very generous.

People misunderstand the 10-20% rule as if that rule is meant for everything. It's not.
wait what? Are you extending this to any type of serve? Do you tip the McDonalds employees and janitors too? The guys at the Pizza shop or chinese take out when you pick it up yourself instead of delivery?

I know hipster baristas at starbucks expect a tip, but if it's just a small mom and pop type of coffee shop then I've never even considered tipping. Not because I'm broke or a dick, but because it doesn't even occur to me to do so.

Blue&Orange
03-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Shut up. Do you tip the people that made your food? Do you tip they guys that brought the food to the place you are eating? Do you tip the guys that killed\harvested\etc the food you a eating? Do you tip the guys that washed you plate, forks, glasses that you are using? Do you tip the guy that paid the electricity bill that allows you to actually be able to eat your food?

Someone bringing me food it's a service? No shit sherlock.

Charlie Sheen
03-28-2015, 02:48 PM

I think you're missing the bigger picture because you have some personal connection to the service industry.

OP said he'd be fine with $40, but $24 left him stewing over that 16 buck difference a day later after a night of sleep? That's a crappy attitude to bring with you to work.

Fire Colangelo
03-28-2015, 02:48 PM
I remember going to ShangHai on a business trip and people thought I was crazy tipping at one of fancier restaurant in the city. Keep in mind this was like a 10000yuan+ meal in a nice room where there were two servers serving only our room.

Just shows how entitled we are in North America, just like assholes.

But yeah, I worked as a waiter before and I cringed when people didn't tip. 10% was fine with me though.

FatComputerNerd
03-28-2015, 03:10 PM
My guess is waiters/waitresses earn standard wages in countries where tipping at least decently is not expected.

Here in the USA waiters make WAY under minimum wage, (sometimes as little as a few $ per hr), and tips make up the bulk of their income.

I thought this was common knowledge?

FatComputerNerd
03-28-2015, 03:13 PM

This I agree with. Very good post!

tomtucker
03-28-2015, 03:41 PM
My guess is waiters/waitresses earn standard wages in countries where tipping at least decently is not expected.

Here in the USA waiters make WAY under minimum wage, (sometimes as little as a few $ per hr), and tips make up the bulk of their income.

I thought this was common knowledge?

then all waiters should form a waiters union, and demand higher wages......would take care of this tipping problem

D-FENS
03-28-2015, 03:55 PM

100% agree! :applause: :applause:

Everyone neg OP

warriorfan
03-28-2015, 05:32 PM
So many posters got exposed as poor and shiesty in this thread

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Giaodollo
03-28-2015, 06:43 PM
This post makes me wonder how many times you have experienced something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ZXRlcoEW8

I tip, even if the servers in my country make about 20 dollars and some more at night, also I have bartended and never got mad if someone didn't tip. I just don't think the "He had a X dollar bill so he should tip Y." is a sane way of thinking. If he does not like the job he is free to get another one.

That is your decision to make, but why should you tip more if you are eating at a fancy restaurant where the food is undoubtedly more expensive but the legwork for the server at a random diner is probably ten times more then the server at this fancy restaurant.

I knew the back lash I was gonna get when I made this thread, I was just waiting for the 10% of ISH that actually has an actual discussion.

It is not a discussion if everyone agrees with each other. It just pats on the back. Grow up.

Do you have a gun on your head that says work her?You are free to apply to another job.

wait what? Are you extending this to any type of serve? Do you tip the McDonalds employees and janitors too? The guys at the Pizza shop or chinese take out when you pick it up yourself instead of delivery?

I know hipster baristas at starbucks expect a tip, but if it's just a small mom and pop type of coffee shop then I've never even considered tipping. Not because I'm broke or a dick, but because it doesn't even occur to me to do so.
The latter is the once that deserve a tip, it is Starbucks and other chains that is pushing the agenda where they can keep the salaries down and let tips get them their wage.

Giaodollo
03-28-2015, 06:47 PM
I am not trying to be a dick about this Shaqtus, you seem like a decent guy but the entitlement bothers me. Kyle probably orded more expensive stuff then your average guest and his bill piled up.

Alamо
03-28-2015, 08:14 PM

No. If he didn't like his service, he wouldn't have given him 24 bucks.

qrich
03-28-2015, 08:19 PM
$24 bucks to just take an order, bring out the food and refill cups of soda.

Oh man, you really got underpaid

tpols
03-28-2015, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't be too upset a 24 dollar tip.. he probably got some real expensive drinks so.. it's not like you had a party of 12 that you had to coordinate a million things for and they tipped like ass.

when I worked that I'd get more mad at a 5 on a 75 from some cheap bast ads that ran me into the ground.. or a family that argued online coupons and made me run to my manager back and forth and tipped like shit. Bottom line waiting sucks.. money is enticing when you have little options but it's like that experiment where you get more negative emotion from getting something taken away than positive emotion from something gained. The bad tippers just get you down more than any good tip

The Iron Sheik
03-28-2015, 08:49 PM
For a 300 dollar cheque? I understand these are arbitrary rules and not everyone follows them, but there has to be some sort of guideline. When someone tips that low on a cheque that makes my sales go up wildly then I owe me
More than I make. I only made 141 bucks but sales were like 1400. Its a service, I'm not expecting 60 dollars from, but he gave me the same amount of money other people gave me on cheques less than a 100.

that's not kyle o'quinn's fault. that's your gm's or manager's fault for paying you like shit and expecting the customer to more than make up for the difference. the problem is with the restaurant model. in no other field is someone expected to be paid extra to do their job well. well i guess athletes have incentive perks in their contracts.

i mean in know that isn't gonna change overnight (or ever), because people will always have to work in the food service industry, but still that's the reality about it. it's a genius business model tbh. the owner is absolved from all responsibility from paying their own worker's an acceptable wage due to putting the onus on the customer. so when you have to eat ramen for an entire week, you blame it on tips instead of your wage.

Embers
03-28-2015, 10:06 PM
The way I see it. If the OP was on set on fire after filling Kyle O Quinns glass of water id strongly advise he drink that water and then pee on the OP to put him out and then ask for a 5 dollar tip

boozehound
03-28-2015, 10:15 PM
I made more than that on cheques more than a hundred dollars less, that's barely 10%

It seems that people with more money feel less inclined to spend it.

You're thinking, wow 24 dollars? That's decent change. I should have made 60 dollars off that cheque, I would have even taken 40 because I'm usually lenient when it comes to big cheques, I don't expect people to shell out that kind of tip unless it's like a corporate meeting or something.
no wonder you are a server, thats well under 10%.

dontgetchoked
03-28-2015, 10:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fJCjet2e3U

crazy that your boss pays you 4 bucks an hour, and you get mad at the customers for not tipping you enough. How do people get away with this? i wouldnt take a job that pays 4 dollars an hour. If people stopped taking those jobs employers would have to increase the pay to get people to take those jobs.

For the record, i am black and i do tip. :lol

sundizz
03-28-2015, 11:19 PM
Yeah, why do i as the customer have to subsidize your pay. It is ridiculous. The only rationale for this is the owner wants to make more money. Terrible business model. People should work hard because it is their job, not for a tip. In Asia people make like a dollar an hour and still refuse to take a tip.

This is a blind street seller who refuses to take more than what he is charging - tells the guy to give the money to someone that needs it more than him.

https://youtu.be/kg_QBEJMTLM

Imtheman
03-29-2015, 12:41 AM
Am i the only one who dont feel entitled to tip? I mean..a waiter is aalready getting paid so why should i tip..

Only time i tip is when i get exceptional service.

And thats hardly never

Op is a broke negus

Le Shaqtus
03-29-2015, 03:16 AM
I am not trying to be a dick about this Shaqtus, you seem like a decent guy but the entitlement bothers me. Kyle probably orded more expensive stuff then your average guest and his bill piled up.

No sweat homes.