PDA

View Full Version : Damn, Wiggins ate Trevor Ariza alive last night

LoneyROY7
03-28-2015, 11:42 AM
Just finished watching the full highlights from Minnesota-Houston last night.

Wow, Wiggins straight destroyed Ariza. Posted him up like nothing and took him off the dribble with ease. Dude had an epic spin move through both Dwight and Trevor, and then later proceeded to jam on Josh Smith for good measure.

It's rare to see a rookie just dominate one of the league's better perimeter defenders like that. Kid is going to be an absolute superstar.

Here's the clip by the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGjrZX0MhVc

bagelred
03-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Cavs gave away a franchise player for the next 17 years for Kevin "Surly Attitude" Love. :oldlol:

JtotheIzzo
03-28-2015, 11:46 AM
this spin move blew my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWl54d-vNzg

LoneyROY7
03-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Cavs gave away a franchise player for the next 17 years for Kevin "Surly Attitude" Love. :oldlol:

:roll:

Will easily go down as one of the worst trades ever.

theoneneo
03-28-2015, 11:48 AM

Gonna look even worse when Love bolts after the Cavs get eliminated in the second round :lol

swagga
03-28-2015, 11:48 AM

Wow, Wiggins straight destroyed Ariza. Posted him up like nothing and took him off the dribble with ease. Dude had an epic spin move through both Dwight and Trevor, and then later proceeded to jam on Josh Smith for good measure.

It's rare to see a rookie just dominate one of the league's better perimeter defenders like that. Kid is going to be an absolute superstar.

this boy is BIG TIME slasher. But compared to other big time wing slashers he lacks a creation game (jordan, bron, wade, kobe, vince) OR an elite shot (durant, tmac). So imo being compared to such talent is overrating him.

Very nice post game tho!

swagga
03-28-2015, 11:49 AM

let's wait and see. Imo wiggins isn't a franchise player

JohnMax
03-28-2015, 11:50 AM
the same Ariza that shutdown Lebron?

VengefulAngel
03-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Looks really good.

LoneyROY7
03-28-2015, 11:52 AM
this boy is BIG TIME slasher. But compared to other big time wing slashers he lacks a creation game (jordan, bron, wade, kobe, vince) OR an elite shot (durant, tmac). So imo being compared to such talent is overrating him.

Very nice post game tho!

:facepalm

He's a rookie dude. You think those players you listed had their "creation game" their first year? Wiggins takes defenders off the bounce easily. His handle has already markedly improved since the start of year. And it's only going to get better.

And lol at T-Mac having an elite shot but not Wiggins. Wiggins mid-range game is wet.

nba_55
03-28-2015, 11:54 AM
I liked what I saw.

Nash
03-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Love > Wiggins

LoneyROY7
03-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Love > Wiggins

Rookie Wiggins averaging only .4 less ppg than a prime Kevin Love. And he's shooting a higher percentage too. :oldlol:

JtotheIzzo
03-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Love > Wiggins

this was true until 2015

nba_55
03-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Rookie Wiggins averaging only .4 less ppg than a prime Kevin Love. And he's shooting a higher percentage too. :oldlol:

Love was averaging 26 ppg in Wiggins's situation.

JtotheIzzo
03-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Love was averaging 26 ppg in Wiggins's situation.

Love was a shooting guard?

he averaged 11ppg his rookie year, BTW

nba_55
03-28-2015, 12:27 PM

No, he was the first option of the shitty Wolves just like Wiggins. And he was averaging way more rebounds.

nba_55
03-28-2015, 12:28 PM

he averaged 11ppg his rookie year, BTW

I am not talking about rookie wiggins vs rookie love.

Big Cheese
03-28-2015, 12:28 PM
can we enjoy Wiggins without someone pushing their anti-Lebron/anti-Cavs agenda?

sportjames23
03-28-2015, 12:32 PM
I liked what I saw.

Too bad you won't see it on the Cavs.

nba_55
03-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Too bad you won't see it on the Cavs.

Love is one of my favorite players, I don't mind it.

Dave3
03-28-2015, 12:42 PM
this was true until 2015
It still is absolutely true. Look, I'm as big a fan of Wiggins as anyone on this board (I sit through friggin Twolves games just to watch him) but can we not go overboard? Wiggins is a rookie. A really promising and entertaining one, but a rookie nonetheless. His "Love>Wiggins" statement obviously applied to this moment, not them in their respective rookie years, and it's not even a debatable point. Love in a similar situation could put up 25/15. He's easily a better player than Wiggins right now. Even the Wolves who traded for him knew this.

I will say this about Wiggins - he doesn't seem to be bothered by how good a defender is more than the usual swingman. Now maybe it's because great defenders like Tony Allen or LeBron aren't exactly gameplanning for him the same way as a Durant, or that there isn't as much footage of his offensive game yet, and I concede that can be part of it. The other part though seems to be that he can score in so many ways, the defense can't really force him into his weaknesses. He's good off the dribble from anywhere, 3 point line, midrange, slashing, or step backs. If you force him away from the ball he's good at just being a spot up shooter and crashing the offensive glass and can potentially kill you that way. It's going to be fun watching him develop his skills.

His post game which has been part of why he's been so impressive, is actually one of the areas I see the most improvement. Everytime he's in the post, he tries to back down his man and use strength for positioning. Now imagine instead of that, he develops the footwork and experience to use his agility and height instead of attempting to use his strength in that scenario. He's going to be fun to watch improve, we don't need to exaggerate how good he is right now.

keep-itreal
03-28-2015, 12:54 PM
the league needs to get rid of the sleeve jerseys. It looks ugly as hell

24-Inch_Chrome
03-28-2015, 12:58 PM
I am not talking about rookie wiggins vs rookie love.

:facepalm

So you think it's fair to compare a 19-year old rookie to a 6 year vet during a career season? If you're going to compare them fairly it's gotta be rookie Wiggins v rookie Love.

Also, :oldlol: at trying to compare rebounding numbers between a PF and an SG.

3peated
03-28-2015, 01:00 PM

if he was a little bigger or a little smaller they would have kept him. he wasn't going to get as much time playing in lebron's position. they really didn't have much of a choice.

cavs however could have gotten someone else who fit the system better (in theory, hindsight 20/20, yadda yadda)

christian1923
03-28-2015, 01:23 PM
if he was a little bigger or a little smaller they would have kept him. he wasn't going to get as much time playing in lebron's position. they really didn't have much of a choice.

cavs however could have gotten someone else who fit the system better (in theory, hindsight 20/20, yadda yadda)
He can play SG

Collie
03-28-2015, 01:33 PM
He might not even need elite dribbling skills if he can refine his post game to elite levels.

Bandito
03-28-2015, 02:18 PM
It still is absolutely true. Look, I'm as big a fan of Wiggins as anyone on this board (I sit through friggin Twolves games just to watch him) but can we not go overboard? Wiggins is a rookie. A really promising and entertaining one, but a rookie nonetheless. His "Love>Wiggins" statement obviously applied to this moment, not them in their respective rookie years, and it's not even a debatable point. Love in a similar situation could put up 25/15. He's easily a better player than Wiggins right now. Even the Wolves who traded for him knew this.

I will say this about Wiggins - he doesn't seem to be bothered by how good a defender is more than the usual swingman. Now maybe it's because great defenders like Tony Allen or LeBron aren't exactly gameplanning for him the same way as a Durant, or that there isn't as much footage of his offensive game yet, and I concede that can be part of it. The other part though seems to be that he can score in so many ways, the defense can't really force him into his weaknesses. He's good off the dribble from anywhere, 3 point line, midrange, slashing, or step backs. If you force him away from the ball he's good at just being a spot up shooter and crashing the offensive glass and can potentially kill you that way. It's going to be fun watching him develop his skills.

His post game which has been part of why he's been so impressive, is actually one of the areas I see the most improvement. Everytime he's in the post, he tries to back down his man and use strength for positioning. Now imagine instead of that, he develops the footwork and experience to use his agility and height instead of attempting to use his strength in that scenario. He's going to be fun to watch improve, we don't need to exaggerate how good he is right now.
Lebron is a great defender? Since when?:biggums:

dubeta
03-28-2015, 02:24 PM

Since Kobe last played in a playoff game

(2012)

Dave3
03-28-2015, 02:25 PM
When he puts his mind to it? IE. when he goes against players like Durant or Paul Pierce, he plays harder on defense. Not to mention his defense has been better this year compared to last anyways, which was when there was a noticeable decline in his effort. Can we not turn this into a LeBron-centric thread?

UK2K
03-28-2015, 02:30 PM

But but bu... Free throws! Free throws, right?

Isn't this how this is played?

And you use the term dominate very loosely.

BigBoss
03-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Wiggins/Love/Irving looks pretty nice now. Thats your present and future. Instead they caved to LeBald's demands with a win this season mentality. At the same time i'm not sure if Wiggins would have liked having a limited role.

dubeta
03-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Wiggins/Love/Irving looks pretty nice now. Thats your present and future. Instead they caved to LeBald's demands with a win this season mentality. At the same time i'm not sure if Wiggins would have liked having a limited role.

How the f*ck would they get both

Velocirap31
03-28-2015, 05:02 PM
He is already starting to look polished with his moves, wow. He seems like a nightmare to guard.