PDA

View Full Version : When will Wiggins start playing and producing like a superstar?

PleezeBelieve
03-28-2015, 03:07 PM
16/4/1 43.6% 32 3P% 13.5 PER

Solid numbers till you realize realize he's playing #1 option minutes (top 10 in league) and gets #1 option opportunities.

Based on my research there has never been a player who has made the jump with such mediocre production in a large seasonal package.

Bettter yet, that type of production is relegated for supporting cast guy who is forced to play a #1 option role.

Again... will he become exponentially more efficient? If so, he can make the leap. But unlike Durant, who had average shooting %s as a rookie, Wiggins was an average shooter in college as well.

Where's the foundation to surmise he can become an elite shooter to make up for the other holes in his game?

Uncle Drew
03-28-2015, 03:09 PM
Dion Waiters.

DonDadda59
03-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Maybe when he's done going through puberty? :confusedshrug:

PleezeBelieve
03-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Maybe when he's done going through puberty? :confusedshrug:
He's 20...

PleezeBelieve
03-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Dion Waiters.
Dion Waiters rookie PER36 numbers are SIGNIFICANTLY better than Wiggins actual stats while playing 36 MPG

What does that mean to you?

navy
03-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Dion Waiters.

DonDadda59
03-28-2015, 03:15 PM
He's 20...

Can't even drink legally. I bet his breath still smells like baby formula. :coleman:

noob cake
03-28-2015, 03:17 PM
13.5 PER doesn't lie.

Wiggins is simply not efficient. Only put up points under heavy minutes.

imdaman99
03-28-2015, 03:18 PM
No one holds rookies to the fire :coleman:

PleezeBelieve
03-28-2015, 03:22 PM
No one holds rookies to the fire :coleman:
How is it holding him to the fire... his numbers are average across the board.

Teama were tanking two years to draft him. Would have went #1 in three straight drafts supposedly.

BlakFrankWhite
03-28-2015, 03:25 PM
How is it holding him to the fire... his numbers are average across the board.

Teama were tanking two years to draft him. Would have went #1 in three straight drafts supposedly.

Embiid was the consensus #1 pick...before the foot injury.....I think Cavs would have still drafted him...if LeBron hadn't made his return so obvious

Im Still Ballin
03-28-2015, 03:29 PM
They didn't have many wings like this guy in the 90's...

navy
03-28-2015, 03:32 PM
Embiid was the consensus #1 pick...before the foot injury.....I think Cavs would have still drafted him...if LeBron hadn't made his return so obvious
:biggums:

DonDadda59
03-28-2015, 03:36 PM
They didn't have many wings like this guy in the 90's...

:facepalm

Compare a 19-20 year old Wiggins to a 19-20 year old Kobe. Then do everyone a favor and kill yourself.

Siemens
03-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Year 3 is when he'll really start pulling it together.

BlakFrankWhite
03-28-2015, 03:40 PM

What? Just read some of the articles from last year...Embiid was #1 pick on most mock drafts...then he injured his foot.

Cavs needed a bargaining chip for the Love trade...and since Embiid's value had crashed they picked Wiggins.

Im Still Ballin
03-28-2015, 03:48 PM
:facepalm

Compare a 19-20 year old Wiggins to a 19-20 year old Kobe. Then do everyone a favor and kill yourself.
http://i.imgur.com/MOhPtut.gif

PleezeBelieve
03-28-2015, 03:52 PM
Year 3 is when he'll really start pulling it together.
Like what... what averages do you expect

Imtheman
03-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Hes only 20 years old dude, hasnt even developed fully physically or mentally

PleezeBelieve
03-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Hes only 20 years old dude, hasnt even developed fully physically or mentally
Which star didn't flash by 20??

Are you people being serious with this excuse shit? Now you're starting to piss me off

24-Inch_Chrome
03-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Which star didn't flash by 20??

Are you people being serious with this excuse shit? Now you're starting to piss me off

This counts as his age-19 season. He's been 20 for a little more than a month.

Now go find me all the stars that flashed by 19/in their rookie seasons and we'll have a discussion.

sundizz
03-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Anyone that thinks this kid isn't going to be an absolute beast knows nothing about basketball.

He has the lost art of footwork + amazing raw mechanics on everything he already does.

He also has an unstoppable go to move that is better than 99% of what the league has - a true step back jumper from the midpost. Combine that with his body control and athleticism and he is already a better sg wing scorer than anyone not named Harden, Klay or Wade.

That is a bread and butter shot that can he can go to in the playoffs during times when a critical basket is needed.

He has shown more than flashes this season of how good he can be. He will easily be a 27, 7, and 4 player by his 4th season.

PleezeBelieve
03-28-2015, 05:03 PM
Anyone that thinks this kid isn't going to be an absolute beast knows nothing about basketball.

He has the lost art of footwork + amazing raw mechanics on everything he already does.

He also has an unstoppable go to move that is better than 99% of what the league has - a true step back jumper from the midpost. Combine that with his body control and athleticism and he is already a better sg wing scorer than anyone not named Harden, Klay or Wade.

That is a bread and butter shot that can he can go to in the playoffs during times when a critical basket is needed.

He has shown more than flashes this season of how good he can be. He will easily be a 27, 7, and 4 player by his 4th season.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

SaltyMeatballs
03-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Guys who are 20 don't normally put up "superstar" numbers. Especially if they're just in their rookie seasons. Is OP legitimately retarded or what? How stupid do you have to be to say something like that? :oldlol:

TripleA
03-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Dion Waiters rookie PER36 numbers are SIGNIFICANTLY better than Wiggins actual stats while playing 36 MPG

What does that mean to you?

Dion waiters career per 12.9
TS is 49
Andrew wiggins
Andrew wiggins career per 13.5
TS is 51.

Some players that have become all stars with similar or worse rookie stats as wiggins.
Paul George Per of 13 7 4 1.
Chris Bosh per of 15 11 7 1.
Kobe per of 14 8 2 1.
Even the great Kevin Durant.
per of 15 and TS of 51.

So either you have a agenda or you have a agenda.
Dion waiters sucks and andrew wiggins will always be a better player
and wiggins is going to get better unlike waiters who has can't finish at the rim and has to chuck midrange jumpers to do anything.

Take the loss fool :durantunimpressed:

JohnMax
03-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Andrew Wiggins 2014-15 (age 19, 1st season): 15.9 PTS 2.8 REB 3.0 AST 43.8 FG% 13.5 PER

... Dion Waiters 2012-13 (age 21, 1st season): 14.7 PTS 2.4 REB 3.0 AST 41.2 FG% 13.7 PER

... Dion Waiters 2013-14 (age 22, 2nd season): 15.9 PTS 2.8 REB 3.0 AST 43.3 FG% 14.0 PER

... Dion Waiters 2014-15 (age 23, 3rd season): 11.2 PTS 2.3 REB 2.0 AST 39.6 FG% 10.9 PER

rhowen4
03-28-2015, 05:34 PM
waiters, looong 2

Joyner82reload
03-28-2015, 05:39 PM
He will never be a superstar, but he has excellent potential. I could see him developing into a Kawhi Leonard

FireDavidKahn
03-28-2015, 05:45 PM
People are getting too upset that Wiggins isn't dominating every night. The real encouraging thing is that he is displaying superstar moves along with good ISO defense. No other rookie has displayed the same potential superstar skill set that Wiggins has shown so far.

Prime_Shaq
03-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Has a great midrange post up game, I like that he goes more towards that. I'm guessing by his third or fourth year is where he'll start making much more impact.

StrongLurk
03-28-2015, 05:49 PM
23/6/4 by his 3rd year.

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 05:59 PM
You young kids have to realize that basketball is a game of skills. Wiggins is still just a kid and very raw. He needs time to improve his skills. And that takes time and repitition. What you are seeing now is a rough diamond. It needs polishing.

I have never looked at Wiggins as a Mcgrady type. Someone who can take over offensively. I see him more as a Pippen type. An all around performer who can impact the game in various ways. He's already a very good defender and should be lethal on that end once he matures and anticipates situations better. You can't teach his size, length, athleticism and quick feet. I also like his touch and shooting form. If he can get that part down, that should make him more dangerous. And of course I want to see him work on his iso game, which is the true definition of a superstar wing.

Give the guy a couple of years. Then we can properly judge him. But now? After not even playing a full season at the highest level against the best in the world? Come on.

knicksman
03-28-2015, 06:45 PM
rookie>>dion:oldlol:

knicksman
03-28-2015, 06:47 PM

What did you expect from OP? He thought dion>>kyrie yet even wiggins is better than him:oldlol:

Soundwave
03-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Looks to me like he's already trending towards being a 20+ ppg by his second season, which is a star/borderline All-Star already.

He's doing well. In 3-4 years he very well could be one of the top players in the league while current guys like LeBron will be on a rapid decline.

Once Wiggins adds about 5-10 pounds of muscle ... look out.

LoneyROY7
03-28-2015, 07:04 PM
OP is so f*cking shook it's unreal.

Anthony Davis, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, and now Wiggins. :roll:

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Wiggins has the perfect body and athleticism to be an absolute shut down wing defender. If he is willing, he should be making All-Defensive teams for the next 10-12 years. But D is about desire and effort. You have to want it.

I also really like his shooting form. It looks right. He's also got a great step back jumper. That's encouraging to see from a 19 year old when you consider he choked away the final four less than a year ago.

It's just going to come down to how bad he wants to be great. How much is he willing to put in the time because the talent is there. He isn't freakishly athletic like G. Green or Westbrook but good enough where if he puts in the time, he should be an elite player.

boldarblood
03-28-2015, 07:16 PM
He's 20...

I grew another 2-3 inches after 20, just saying it can happen.

LoneyROY7
03-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Wiggins has the perfect body and athleticism to be an absolute shut down wing defender. If he is willing, he should be making All-Defensive teams for the next 10-12 years. But D is about desire and effort. You have to want it.

I also really like his shooting form. It looks right. He's also got a great step back jumper. That's encouraging to see from a 19 year old when you consider he choked away the final four less than a year ago.

It's just going to come down to how bad he wants to be great. How much is he willing to put in the time because the talent is there. He isn't freakishly athletic like G. Green or Westbrook but good enough where if he puts in the time, he should be an elite player.

Might be one of the most absurd things ever posted. 44 inch vertical isn't freakishly athletic?

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 07:29 PM

Might be one of the most absurd things ever posted. 44 inch vertical isn't freakishly athletic?

He's special athletically but he isn't on Westbrook type level. Athleticism isn't just vertical. It's fluidity, agility, quickness and explosive first step. The guy is up there. I just don't rate him at the freakish level like a Westbrook. What he does have is very quick feet. He can really move his feet laterally and slide. And that's why I love his defensive prospects. I really like the guy. Both as a player and person.

Milbuck
03-28-2015, 07:30 PM
He's special athletically but he isn't on Westbrook type level. Athleticism isn't just vertical. It's fluidity, agility, quickness and explosive first step. The guy is up there. I just don't rate him at the freakish level like a Westbrook. What he does have is very quick feet. He can really move his feet laterally and slide. And that's why I love his defensive prospects. I really like the guy. Both as a player and person.
He has all of that though...

LoneyROY7
03-28-2015, 07:31 PM

You're definitely overrating Westbrook's athleticism. He's a freak, but his dunks and what not look more impressive than they would otherwise b/c of the ferocity with which he plays.

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 07:34 PM
He has all of that though...

I don't quite see the SUDDEN explosion off the ground from him as I do with a Westbrook. It doesn't come with the same explosion. Again, I love the guy and he just turned 20 so he does have the chance to improve on his plyometrics and might be more explosive. We'll have to see.

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 07:35 PM
You're definitely overrating Westbrook's athleticism. He's a freak, but his dunks and what not look more impressive than they would otherwise b/c of the ferocity with which he plays.

Oh no I am not. The guy is one of the most physically gifted guards to put on a pair of sneakers.

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Wiggins isn't even the most athletic player on his own team. Lavine is. And everyone knows this, including Wiggins. There are levels to athleticism. Lavine just possesses that extra gear that only a few ever possess. That off the charts athleticism that makes you saw "wow". His moves are quicker, faster and more explosive, even at the NBA level.

Sportal
03-28-2015, 08:00 PM

Solid numbers till you realize realize he's playing #1 option minutes (top 10 in league) and gets #1 option opportunities.

He isn't though...?????????????

Yes, he is playing #1 option MINUTES, but what does that even matter? You realise that he is probably out there all those minutes because of a number of OTHER things... He is not their #1 option, I think the dude averages 13 attempts? Kevin Martin gets 16 attempts and he was injured. So what are you even on about?

Martin's minutes are 33 and Wiggins' are 35, clearly, he is NOT the first option.

And these people talking about Kobe, hilarious. It doesn't honestly take a lot of effort to look something up...

In the season in which Kobe got "starter" minutes, his 3rd season btw, he played 50 games out of 50. He averaged:

37.9MPG, 46.5FG%, 26.7 3P%, 19.9PPG, 6.3RPG and 5AST on 15.6 attempts.

This is when Kobe was 20. But in his 3rd season. Kobe got more attempts than Wiggins as the 2nd option than Wiggins has got as the so-called "1st option". People need to look stuff up before they spout crap.

I always say with these raw kids, that they need an off-season to work on stuff.

I feel that Wiggins will be better than Paul George, he's an all-star, he is a franchise face, it took him 3/4 seasons to get it together and no-one really batted an eyelid. Yes, I realise you are bagging on him because he was the #1 pick, but he would not have been if Embiid was not injured. He could have easily gone 3rd and people would be saying what a good choice he was and could turn out to be the best of them all in a couple of seasons.

ShawkFactory
03-28-2015, 08:03 PM
Wait, is OP expecting a rookie to produce like a superstar?

Collie
03-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Watching Wiggins despite his overall rawness, I see a guy who is actually far more polished than your average NBA rookie in terms of very important skills that actually matter like the post game, the footwork and the ability to draw contact. Watch his last game against a big, athletic defender like Ariza. He did whatever he wanted to in the post, and that's as a 20 year old rookie. Imagine him 3-4 years down the line when he gains strength and his midrange game is much more accurate. He's the closest thing I think we've gotten to a young Kobe, who showed the same potential even during his rookie year.

Dave3
03-28-2015, 08:34 PM
I don't quite see the SUDDEN explosion off the ground from him as I do with a Westbrook. It doesn't come with the same explosion. Again, I love the guy and he just turned 20 so he does have the chance to improve on his plyometrics and might be more explosive. We'll have to see.
Yeah but not being as explosive as Westbrook/Lavine isn't the cutoff for not being athletic. Wiggins is very athletic, but he's not quite at the level of Westbrook or young LeBron.

FireDavidKahn
03-28-2015, 09:19 PM
Wiggins isn't even the most athletic player on his own team. Lavine is. And everyone knows this, including Wiggins. There are levels to athleticism. Lavine just possesses that extra gear that only a few ever possess. That off the charts athleticism that makes you saw "wow". His moves are quicker, faster and more explosive, even at the NBA level.
Lavine isn't close. Lavine just has an insanely high vert and a quick step. He can't take any contact with any defender right now due to how weak he is. Wiggins has him in everything else.

Blue&Orange
03-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Watching Wiggins despite his overall rawness, I see a guy who is actually far more polished than your average NBA rookie in terms of very important skills that actually matter like the post game, the footwork and the ability to draw contact.
Yes he is surprisingly fundamentally sound, the rest will come.

ClipperRevival
03-28-2015, 09:31 PM
Yeah but not being as explosive as Westbrook/Lavine isn't the cutoff for not being athletic. Wiggins is very athletic, but he's not quite at the level of Westbrook or young LeBron.

And if you will read this thread, you will see that I mirror you thoughts.

JtotheIzzo
03-29-2015, 12:35 AM

Based on my research there has never been a player who has made the jump with such mediocre production in a large seasonal package.

Bettter yet, that type of production is relegated for supporting cast guy who is forced to play a #1 option role.

Again... will he become exponentially more efficient? If so, he can make the leap. But unlike Durant, who had average shooting %s as a rookie, Wiggins was an average shooter in college as well.

Where's the foundation to surmise he can become an elite shooter to make up for the other holes in his game?

When are you gonna start charging Wiggins rent?

1st option? Since the Wolves put Kevin Martin on ice last week Wiggins has put up 22, 27 and 31 in his last three shooting above 50%!with nice rebounding and better assists than he's done all year.

Not aure where the hate comes from (minus the OP of course he is the preeminent tard of ISH) but the kid has improved noticably this season.

His first season has been more impressive than Kobe, TMac or PG's first TWO seasons and he has shown unstoppable moves, great footwork shooting and defense.

We should be excited about the future, not dragging this kid unfairly through the mud with retarded 'observations' because your team traded him stupidly and hastily.