PDA

View Full Version : Jordan and Brady playing pickup basketball

Ca$H
03-28-2015, 09:31 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/3/28/8306647/michael-jordan-played-pick-up-basketball-with-tom-brady-talked-so

The Basketball and Football GOATS.

ShawkFactory
03-28-2015, 09:52 PM
Not the football GOAT

BasedTom
03-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Not the football GOAT

SpecialQue
03-28-2015, 10:04 PM
Not the football GOAT

sportjames23
03-28-2015, 10:05 PM
Not the football GOAT

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2015, 10:05 PM
Not the football GOAT

Ca$H
03-28-2015, 10:06 PM
GOATS gonna GOAT.

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2015, 10:07 PM
GOATS gonna GOAT.

Montana > Brady

sportjames23
03-28-2015, 10:08 PM
Montana > Brady

BasedTom
03-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Montana > Brady

Ca$H
03-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Montana > Brady

:roll: :roll: . Montana had a stacked team in the pre-salary cap era. Brady only had a comparable team in 2007. Brady has better career stats, better peak, better longevity, and did more with less. Brady = Jordan. Montana = Bird.

ShawkFactory
03-28-2015, 10:15 PM
:roll: :roll: . Montana had a stacked team in the pre-salary cap era. Brady only had a comparable team in 2007. Brady has better career stats, better peak, better longevity, and did more with less. Brady = Jordan. Montana = Bird.
Are you kidding me?

jzek
03-28-2015, 10:16 PM
Who has won more than Brady? :confusedshrug:

Peyton may be the GOAT regular season player but Brady is GOAT of the postseason.

ShawkFactory
03-28-2015, 10:17 PM

Peyton may be the GOAT regular season player but Brady is GOAT of the postseason.
Very much no.

jzek
03-28-2015, 10:19 PM
and yes, MJ not only talks trash but *calls fouls* in pick-up ball at age 52

GOAT gonna GOAT

Doesn't matter whether it's the preseason, regular, season, playoffs, finals or a fukkking pick up game at age 52! :bowdown:

sportjames23
03-28-2015, 10:19 PM

Who has won more than Montana?

Montana is the GOAT of the postseason.

ABfor3
03-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Joe Montana> Tom Brady

jzek
03-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Very much no.

Not going to bother argue with you guys. This is a basketball forum so I don't know how much football you guys know. Look at my av, this tells you I'm a football fan first then basketball. Go to a real football forum like http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/ and they'll tell you the same thing I told you:

Peyton Manning = GOAT of regular season
Tom Brady = GOAT of post-season

ShawkFactory
03-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Not going to bother argue with you guys. This is a basketball forum so I don't know how much football you guys know. Look at my av, this tells you I'm a football fan first then basketball. Go to a real football forum like http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/ and they'll tell you the same thing I told you:

I used to post on footballsfuture years ago and I like football more than basketball as well. No, they wouldn't tell you that. There's nothing that supports that he's a better big game player than Montana.

Ca$H
03-28-2015, 10:27 PM

Brady is great in the regular season and the GOAT in the postseason. Manning is the GOAT in the regular season and below average in the post season. No comparison.

ShawkFactory
03-28-2015, 10:29 PM
Brady is great in the regular season and the GOAT in the postseason. Manning is the GOAT in the regular season and below average in the post season. No comparison.
What makes Brady better in the postseason than Montana? Literally nothing.

Ca$H
03-28-2015, 10:29 PM

Montana had Rice. Brady won super bowls with scrubs like Troy Brown, David Givens, and Deon Branch.

ShawkFactory
03-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Montana had Rice. Brady won super bowls with scrubs like Troy Brown, David Givens, and Deon Branch.
Montana won half of his super bowls without Rice.

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2015, 10:31 PM

Playoff average
Montana: 2 TD, 1 INT, 250 ypg, 95 rating
Brady: 2 TD, 1 INT, 253 ypg, 89 rating

Pretty amazing Brady only averaged 3 more ypg considering he attempted 5 more passes per game and plays in an era that has neutered defenses

Super Bowl numbers

Montana: 11 TD's, 0 INT, 286 ypg, 127 rating
Brady: 13 TD's, 4 INT, 268 ypg, 95 rating

That's right, Montana had a 100 quarterback rating in EVERY Super Bowl he played in, and NEVER threw a pick. Brady just threw two this past Super Bowl. Montana also never scored under 20 points in any Super Bowl, Brady's done it twice, both resulting in losses.

So sorry, Montana is the postseason king

Ca$H
03-28-2015, 10:32 PM
What makes Brady better in the postseason than Montana? Literally nothing.

He has most of the postseason and Super Bowl records. He also did more with far less help.

ShawkFactory
03-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Playoff average

Pretty amazing Brady only averaged 3 more ypg considering he attempted 5 more passes per game and plays in an era that has neutered defenses

Super Bowl numbers

That's right, Montana had a 100 quarterback rating in EVERY Super Bowl he played in, and NEVER threw a pick. Brady just threw two this past Super Bowl. Montana also never scored under 20 points in any Super Bowl, Brady's done it twice, both resulting in losses..

/thread

BasedTom
03-28-2015, 10:40 PM
Brady plays in the Goodellball era, where stats are ridiculously inflated because of rule changes making it so that defense can't be played and every breath on an opponent is a penalty. These aren't philosophical rule changes (adding a 3 pt line, illegal defense, etc) but are basically just there to compensate for the lack of talent in the game today- more and more would-be players are turning to other sports because of fears for concussions and other issues.

Everything the NFL does is a desperate measure to remain relevant. You would think they wouldn't need to, but the league has been so grossly mismanaged and are run with so much corruption,that it is reality.

Baseball used to be king and now it's not. The NFL is suffering a similar fate. Nobody will be able to take this era seriously because of Goodell era. It's a black stain.

secund2nun
03-28-2015, 10:45 PM

Tom Brady has won more than Brady and Montana played with no salary cap on a LOADED squad year in year out. Brady had a lot less talent on his team in a much tougher era.

Brady > Montana

Brady is the GOAT and playoffs GOAT

Ca$H
03-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Bill Walsh made Montana better. Montana wasn't that great without Walsh. Kind of like Steve Nash without MDA. Belichick is a defensive coach so you can't say the same about him.

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Bill Walsh made Montana better. Montana wasn't that great without Walsh. Kind of like Steve Nash without MDA. Belichick is a defensive coach so you can't say the same about him.

Walsh and Montana both joined the 49ers the same year. Montana won two MVP's and another Super Bowl after Walsh left

Ca$H
03-28-2015, 10:48 PM
Tom Brady has won more than Brady and Montana played with no salary cap on a LOADED squad year in year out. Brady had a lot less talent on his team in a much tougher era.

Brady > Montana

Agreed. Brady is an alpha. It's weird that you an avatar of Bran though. How could you like Brady and Bran? Brady is more similar to MJ and Kobe. While Bran is similar to Peyton Manning.

BasedTom
03-28-2015, 10:48 PM

Brady > Montana

tougher era? Are you 12?

Ryan Tannehill threw for 4000 yards this season- along with 10 other QBs. I like Tannehill, but if you can't see how 4k yards in 2014 is worth way less than 4k yards in previous eras...

Ca$H
03-28-2015, 10:50 PM
Walsh and Montana both joined the 49ers the same year

Checkout Montana's stats on the Chiefs. :roll: Brady is old right now too. So that isn't an excuse.

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Checkout Montana's stats on the Chiefs. :roll: Brady is old right now too. So that isn't an excuse.

Check out Montana after Walsh left. 2 MVP's and another Super Bowl. I'm sure if Montana played in an era where the defense wasn't allowed to hit you or the receivers, he'd be putting up gaudy numbers too

Ca$H
03-28-2015, 10:53 PM
Check out Montana after Walsh left. 2 MVP's and another Super Bowl. I'm sure if Montana played in an era where the defense wasn't allowed to hit you or the receivers, he'd be putting up gaudy numbers too

Same system bro. Kind of like Nash with Alvin Gentry. Not to mention Rice.

ShawkFactory
03-28-2015, 10:56 PM
Same system bro. Kind of like Nash with Alvin Gentry. Not to mention Rice.
Brady never won a super bowl with Moss.

Ca$H
03-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Brady never won a super bowl with Moss.

He only played one year with prime Moss. Plus he had an ankle injury in that Super Bowl.

secund2nun
03-28-2015, 11:11 PM
Playoff average

Super Bowl numbers

That's right, Montana had a 100 quarterback rating in EVERY Super Bowl he played in, and NEVER threw a pick. Brady just threw two this past Super Bowl. Montana also never scored under 20 points in any Super Bowl, Brady's done it twice, both resulting in losses.

Montana played on a loaded team with no salary cap. Also Montana had a bunch of one and dones. Brady has reached the Super Bowl 6 times vs just 4 for Montana despite Montana have a huge advantage of no salary cap.

Beastmode88
03-28-2015, 11:14 PM
MJ still talking shit @ 50. That alpha male mentality. :applause:

scandisk_
03-28-2015, 11:16 PM
chubby jordan :oldlol:

SouBeachTalents
03-28-2015, 11:24 PM
It's close either way, I've got Montana and Brady as the top two QB's of all time. I just choose Montana because he put up great numbers for his era, and he was Jordan like in the Super Bowl. 100 QB rating every game, never threw a pick, scored at least 20 points every time. Brady just has never been as reliable, relying on his defense and Vinatieri for his first Super Bowl, scoring 14 and 17 points in losses against the Giants, and tossing two picks and needing a epic coaching gaffe to beat the Seahawks. Montana has 3 Super Bowl's better than any of Brady's

dreamwarrior
03-28-2015, 11:33 PM
Montana's the greatest I've ever seen. Brady is a great QB, but I lost a lot of respect for him after deflategate.

JtotheIzzo
03-29-2015, 01:31 AM

Peyton is the GOAT if you want circus stats indoors against sub-500 teams in October, but if you need a game winning drive in February, Brady is the GOAT.

Even the two Super Bowls they flukily lost, Brady drove them down field for go-ahead scores in the 4th.

Look at what he did against an all-time defense in the 4th quarter of this Super Bowl. Anyone who thinks he isn't GOAT is simply a hater.

SouBeachTalents
03-29-2015, 01:35 AM
Peyton is the GOAT if you want circus stats indoors against sub-500 teams in October, but if you need a game winning drive in February, Brady is the GOAT.

Even the two Super Bowls they flukily lost, Brady drove them down field for go-ahead scores in the 4th.

Look at what he did against an all-time defense in the 4th quarter of this Super Bowl. Anyone who thinks he isn't GOAT is simply a hater.

First of all, that's false. The Pats didn't score a single point in the 4th quarter of the 2011 Super Bowl. And fluky or not, after averaging 30 ppg both seasons, including breaking the scoring record in '07, Brady and the Pats put up 14 and 17 points in their two defeats

SaltyMeatballs
03-29-2015, 01:44 AM
"man you better pull up Michael Jordan (on YouTube)" - MJ

GOAT gon' GOAT

JtotheIzzo
03-29-2015, 01:47 AM
First of all, that's false. The Pats didn't score a single point in the 4th quarter of the 2011 Super Bowl. And fluky or not, after averaging 30 ppg both seasons, including breaking the scoring record in '07, Brady and the Pats put up 14 and 17 points in their two defeats

you are right 2012 was the Welker drop on the drive.

SaltyMeatballs
03-29-2015, 02:00 AM
OP single handedly turned this into a Brady debate :oldlol:

Sarcastic
03-29-2015, 02:28 AM
Brady is a cheater. He couldn't even deny in a press conference about it. He said "I don't think I am".

sportjames23
03-29-2015, 02:35 AM
Playoff average

Super Bowl numbers

And we're done here, folks.

Kargo
03-29-2015, 02:45 AM
Brady >>>>>>Pre Salary cap Montana

Not even close considering the competition level.Brady in 2007,the only season he had elite offensive help,he broke every record >>>Montana at any point of his career.

Without two major flukes he could do nothing about,he would have 6 out of 6...thank goodness for BUtler otherwise it would have been 3 flukes in a row.its not Brady's fault Asante Samuel,Wes Welker and co. had butter fingers.

In 2007 he had a fantastic drive,gave the team a 4 point lead with 90 seconds to go.

If Jordan didn't have Kerr,Paxson,Pippen,Kukoc,Grant,he wouldn't have six..how many clutch plays did they make?

It's a team game.

SouBeachTalents
03-29-2015, 02:52 AM

Not even close considering the competition level.Brady in 2007,the only season he had elite offensive help,he broke every record >>>Montana at any point of his career.

Without two major flukes he could do nothing about,he would have 6 out of 6...thank goodness for BUtler otherwise it would have been 3 flukes in a row.its not Brady's fault Asante Samuel,Wes Welker and co. had butter fingers.

Lol, so one sided and absolutely no objectivity in this post. You could consider most of his Super Bowl wins flukes as well. How about his first playoff game ever with the infamous Tuck Rule, or Vinatieri going straight Ray Allen and nailing a 45 yard field goal in a blizzard to literally save the season. He'd also go on to make TWO game winning field goals in the Super Bowl.

You can consider his two losses fluky, but as I've said in this thread, he gets a great share of the blame for scoring 14 and 17 points in those defeats when his offenses were averaging over 30 ppg those seasons. And you'd be better off thanking Pete Carroll for this latest Super Bowl win, dude literally had the Super Bowl won, but instead of handing it off to Lynch he threw a slant to his 5th receiver, a decision considered by many to arguably be the worst in sports history.

ImKobe
03-29-2015, 02:55 AM
of course MJ is talking trash to the only other black person on the court

:kobe:

SaltyMeatballs
03-29-2015, 03:06 AM
of course MJ is talking trash to the only other black person on the court

:kobe:
He was the one guarding him when MJ made that fadeaway jumper over him...

Siemens
03-29-2015, 03:09 AM
Not the football GOAT

ImKobe
03-29-2015, 03:27 AM
He was the one guarding him when MJ made that fadeaway jumper over him...

You don't get it.

TheMan
03-29-2015, 05:11 AM
LOL at the kids claiming Brady plays in a tougher era. You can't touch a QB nowadays, Montana took some vicious hits back in the day, there's one he took from Jim Burt from the Giants in particular (anyone have a YouTube link?) that literally sent him flying, you can't do that anymore. Montana was Big Game Joe. and I say this as a Bears fan, 49ers hater. He kept my Bears from reaching the SB a few times :(

Montana > Brady

Stats don't lie

SouBeachTalents
03-29-2015, 05:21 AM
LOL at the kids claiming Brady plays in a tougher era. You can't touch a QB nowadays, Montana took some vicious hits back in the day, there's one he took from Jim Burt from the Giants in particular (anyone have a YouTube link?) that literally sent him flying, you can't do that anymore. Montana was Big Game Joe. and I say this as a Bears fan, 49ers hater. He kept my Bears from reaching the SB a few times :(

Montana > Brady

Stats don't lie

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3341010/jim-burt-ko-s-joe-montana-o.gif

sportjames23
03-29-2015, 05:36 AM
There was this game against Philly when they had Reggie White and Jerome Brown, and they were beating the shit outta Montana. I mean, rocking his shit.

Dude came back in the second half to lead SF to the win.

The hits he took, Brady and all these other soft ass QBs in the NFL today woulda been put out the game.

Flower_
03-29-2015, 05:39 AM
Tom Freaking Brady!

Goat!!!

Flower_
03-29-2015, 05:47 AM

In 2007 he had a fantastic drive,gave the team a 4 point lead with 90 seconds to go.

If Jordan didn't have Kerr,Paxson,Pippen,Kukoc,Grant,he wouldn't have six..how many clutch plays did they make?

It's a team game.

THIS!

SouBeachTalents
03-29-2015, 06:09 AM
I don't know how anyone can watch football and not know Brady plays in an era with unprecedented protection for QB's and WR's. You literally aren't allowed to hit a player hard anymore without it being flagged

"Roughing the passer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypxacviNMBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qtv5vt1FRg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crsBaSXVpHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRKC5jbswbw

"Unnecessary roughness"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxW9Xa7Ql58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVc32igKZC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_N1XA2C1AU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QawL7E4wWjE

These hits aren't isolated incidents, anyone who watches football on a regular basis will see calls like this at least once a week. Just look at this list for most passing yards in a season, 11 of the top 13 have occurred in the past 4 seasons, which is why any statistical comparison between Brady and Montana is a sham

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...gle_season.htm

sportjames23
03-29-2015, 09:08 AM
I don't know how anyone can watch football and not know Brady plays in an era with unprecedented protection for QB's and WR's. You literally aren't allowed to hit a player hard anymore without it being flagged

"Roughing the passer"

"Unnecessary roughness"

These hits aren't isolated incidents, anyone who watches football on a regular basis will see calls like this at least once a week. Just look at this list for most passing yards in a season, 11 of the top 13 have occurred in the past 4 seasons, which is why any statistical comparison between Brady and Montana is a sham

:cheers:

ShawkFactory
03-29-2015, 11:48 AM
It's pretty clear who is over and who is under 20 in this thread.

TheMan
03-29-2015, 03:35 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3341010/jim-burt-ko-s-joe-montana-o.gif
Holy shit, that was brutal. I remember that hit but the one I'm talking about was in SF and Joe had to leave the game, it was worse than the hit Joe took in that gif...it was on a roll out and as Joe was throwing the football, Burt laid him out.

My point is that Joe dominated in an era were head hunting was legal. When has Brady ever been laid out like that? Never, because you can't touch a QB anymore.

ShawkFactory
03-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Holy shit, that was brutal. I remember that hit but the one I'm talking about was in SF and Joe had to leave the game, it was worse than the hit Joe took in that gif...it was on a roll out and as Joe was throwing the football, Burt laid him out.

My point is that Joe dominated in an era were head hunting was legal. When has Brady ever been laid out like that? Never, because you can't touch a QB anymore.
That hit is an ejection and massive fine today. Possibly suspension.

sportjames23
03-29-2015, 03:48 PM

I think you're thinking of the 1991 NFC Championship Game. That was Leonard Marshall who knocked Joe out the game.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3322911/joe-montana-crushed-o.gif

FKAri
03-29-2015, 03:52 PM
#NotTheFootballGOAT

TheMan
03-29-2015, 03:53 PM

"Roughing the passer"

"Unnecessary roughness"

Exactjy, it just isn't the same standing in the pocket in the modern NFL knowing the refs are babying you and the defense can't put a hat on you. Any QB comparisons between today and when QBs were actually allowed to get hit needs to take this into account.

Montana > Brady and it's not even close...

ShawkFactory
03-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Exactjy, it just isn't the same standing in the pocket in the modern NFL knowing the refs are babying you and the defense can't put a hat on you. Any QB comparisons between today and when QBs were actually allowed to get hit needs to take this into account.

Montana > Brady and it's not even close...
Well let's not go too far here..

Pushxx
03-29-2015, 04:05 PM

It's a team game.

:applause:

TheMan
03-29-2015, 04:12 PM
I think you're thinking of the 1991 NFC Championship Game. That was Leonard Marshall who knocked Joe out the game.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3322911/joe-montana-crushed-o.gif
Yeah that's the one, I guess I combined those two hits, lol:cheers:

My goodness, can you imagine if a defensive player did that today, he'd probably get arrested. The 85-86 Bears knocked out like a half dozen QBs in their championship run. The game is just totally different, QBs back then had bullseyes on them, waaaaaay different standing in the pocket back in the day when you know that 300 lb dudes are trying to take you out.

Just like in the NBA where they've taken the rough physicallity out of the game and in major league baseball where pitchers can't brush batters off the plate without risking getting tossed, it's all symptoms of a softer society :facepalm:

RedBlackAttack
03-29-2015, 06:04 PM
That hit is an ejection and massive fine today. Possibly suspension.
...and for good reason. Because we're seeing the end result of men with that kind of size and speed being allowed to hit one another with no regard for longterm health... and it isn't pretty.

In any sport, comparing eras is always a difficult undertaking. That's why I choose not to take part in it.

Trying to bring down Brady because of Montana's greatness or vice versa just feels stupid. Brady has mastered this era of football and Montana mastered his era.

But, let's be real... football instituted rule changes on hits for the good of the players who suit up to entertain us every Sunday and the game's own survival.

It was one thing in the 1950s through the 1970s when you had guys who were 220 pounds and ran a 5.0 40-time teeing off on quarterbacks and protecting the middle of the field by decapitating receivers/tight ends who happened to run a crossing route. And, a lot of those guys suffered the consequences too.

But, it is quite another to allow 280-pound men who can explode off the turf like a world-class sprinter to annihilate offensive players every week. That's what started happening in the 1980s and 1990s, leading to massive health problems for players of that era and changes in today's game.

I don't really see how playing in a safer era makes an athlete less great.

SouBeachTalents
03-29-2015, 06:24 PM
...and for good reason. Because we're seeing the end result of men with that kind of size and speed to hit one another with no regard for longterm health... and it isn't pretty.

In any sport, comparing eras is always a difficult undertaking. That's why I choose not to take part in it.

Trying to bring down Brady because of Montana's greatness or vice versa just feels stupid. Brady has mastered this era of football and Montana mastered his era.

But, let's be real... football instituted rule changes on hits for the good of the players who suit up to entertain us every Sunday and the game's own survival.

It was one thing in the 1950s through the 1970s when you had guys who were 220 pounds and ran a 5.0 40-time teeing off on quarterbacks and protecting the middle of the field by decapitating receivers/tight ends who happened to run a crossing route. And, a lot of those guys suffered the consequences too.

But, it is quite another to allow 280-pound men who can explode off the turf like a world-class sprinter to annihilate offensive players every week. That's what started happening in the 1980s and 1990s, leading to massive health problems for players of that era and changes in today's game.

Necessary or not, the rule changes have gone too far. I'll post this link again, 11 of the 13 highest passing seasons of all time have all transpired in a span of the last FOUR years. How does someone look at that list and believe it has ANY validity? Not even the steroid era of baseball has as much of a monopoly on the record books as these rule changes do

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_single_season.htm

Real14
03-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Jordan still busting ass:applause: and :roll: @ that bitch asterisk Brady being football GOAT.

ShawkFactory
03-29-2015, 06:38 PM
...and for good reason. Because we're seeing the end result of men with that kind of size and speed being allowed to hit one another with no regard for longterm health... and it isn't pretty.

I'm not against the rule changes at all. I indeed think most of them are necessary.

Just stating the facts about that hit. And how Brady has never had to worry about being hit like that, which is absolutely an advantage.

Soundwave
03-30-2015, 04:18 AM
lol Brady looks like a little kid that got called in off the sidelines to play for some reason.

Also MJ's GOATiness rubbed off on Brady so his GOAT factor inches closer to Montana by default.

PejaTheSerbSnip
03-30-2015, 05:57 AM
I'm not against the rule changes at all. I indeed think most of them are necessary.

Just stating the facts about that hit. And how Brady has never had to worry about being hit like that, which is absolutely an advantage.So there's just about literally nothing Brady could to overtake Montana then, because of a rule change that he had no control over, that is the same for all of his contemporaries?

Last I checked, its a LEVEL playing field; all of the quarterbacks of Bradys era benefited from that rule, not just him. This is why its better to compare a players success relative to the era they competed in; and their respective accolades have them at just about even. Neither guy is clearly ahead of the other.

SHAQisGOAT
03-30-2015, 06:18 AM
I like Tom but I agree that Montana > Brady

ShawkFactory
03-30-2015, 09:54 AM
I like Tom but I agree that Montana > Brady
And it's kinda strange. We're seeing these kids claim that Brady is the GOAT playoff performer, but see absolutely no evidence from them to back this up.

He one of the greats for sure, but Montana is called Joe Cool for a reason.

Dude lightened the mood in the huddle of the '88 Super Bowl game winning drive by pointing out to his teammates that John Candy was in the crowd. They proceeded to go 92 yards with ease in two minutes to win the game.

He's the ultimate leader and the ONLY choice for the guy you want on your team when you're in a pressure situation.

Wally450
03-30-2015, 11:04 AM
Its gotta be Montana right now, his numbers don't lie. If Brady can get one more championship, then he takes the cake as greatest ever. Dude will have won 10% of the Super Bowls if they repeat.

TheMan
03-30-2015, 03:26 PM

Just stating the facts about that hit. And how Brady has never had to worry about being hit like that, which is absolutely an advantage.
Absolutely, the main goal of a pass rush is to make a QB as uncomfortable and off balance as you can, and if he feels that he can't go through all his reads and he gets happy feet for fear of getting smacked, then that's a huge advantage for the defense.

ShawkFactory
03-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Absolutely, the main goal of a pass rush is to make a QB as uncomfortable and off balance as you can, and if he feels that he can't go through all his reads and he gets happy feet for fear of getting smacked, then that's a huge advantage for the defense.
Like, come on now. You can't even touch a QB after he cuts it loose.

I'm actually all for QBs getting babied, at least. Top quarterbacks getting injured is bad for the league. Montana only played 16 games twice in his career.

But at the same time it must be considered when comparing the two.

RedBlackAttack
03-30-2015, 04:43 PM

It's an advantage in terms of statistics. So, if you're trying to compare the amount of yards a guy throws for today to what they were putting up 30 years ago, you have to take into account how the rule changes have given offenses an advantage. However, everyone today plays under the same rules, just like everyone played under the same rules in the 1980s. That's why looking at how a guy dominates from a win-loss, Super Bowl perspective is really the only way to compare players from different eras. How did they dominate in their respective eras against other guys playing with the same set of rules and against the same opponents?

Both Brady and Montana stack up favorably in this regard.

ShawkFactory
03-30-2015, 05:00 PM
It's an advantage in terms of statistics. So, if you're trying to compare the amount of yards a guy throws for today to what they were putting up 30 years ago, you have to take into account how the rule changes have given offenses an advantage. However, everyone today plays under the same rules, just like everyone played under the same rules in the 1980s. That's why looking at how a guy dominates from a win-loss, Super Bowl perspective is really the only way to compare players from different eras. How did they dominate in their respective eras against other guys playing with the same set of rules and against the same opponents?

Both Brady and Montana stack up favorably in this regard.
All true, but I think a lot of the people in this thread who have said Brady > Montana don't look at it this way.

For example, I could say that Montana in 1989 had a better season than any Brady has ever had. People may look at his 3500 yards and 26 touchdowns and say "lulz Brady had 4800 yards and 50 touchdowns". And they'd be ignoring the fact that Montana's QBR was 20 points higher than the second highest rated QB in the league that year, and that his QBR in 3 playoff games was 147- 11 touchdowns and no picks. That's all I'm trying to convey. Most people here don't think don't think like you.

oarabbus
03-30-2015, 05:23 PM
Montana > Brady

Brady top 3 tho

TheMan
03-30-2015, 05:27 PM
The votes are all in and the people have spoken...

Montana > Brady

Thanks for playing

/thread

Ca$H
03-30-2015, 05:33 PM
The votes are all in and the people have spoken...

Montana > Brady

Thanks for playing

/thread

LOL. That wasn't even the topic of this thread. :facepalm

ShawkFactory
03-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Not every thread goes for pages and pages directly related to what was stated in the title. You claimed Brady was the GOAT football player in the OP.

TheMan
03-30-2015, 05:38 PM
If I went ahead and made a poll asking the NFL fans here that question, pretty sure by the sample size here that Montana would win handily...

Euroleague
03-31-2015, 10:50 PM
Another thread that has confirmed the unbelievable idiocy of this forum...

Brady is the GOAT and only idiots and haters say otherwise.

sportjames23
04-01-2015, 01:54 AM
Another thread that has confirmed the unbelievable idiocy of this forum...

Brady is the GOAT and only idiots and haters say otherwise.

Just when I thought you knew your shit when it came to the NFL...:facepalm