PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Draft,

Pages : [1] 2

Aussie Dunker
03-28-2015, 09:43 PM
Hey guys,

It's never too early to start circling targets for the upcoming draft.

Or position is likely going to be somewhere between 7 - 12 (like most years :facepalm )

I think it is pretty clear that we will / should be targeting a wing and shooting. In saying that - who are some of the prospects that could be available to us, who fits our team mold the best and who do you personally want (within reason)...

These wings all project to be top 20, with Winslow and Johnson really the only two locked as a top 10...

Justise Winslow
Stanley Johnson
Mario Hezonja
Kelly Oubre
Devin Booker
Caris LeVert
Sam Dekker

Attila
04-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Winslow would be nice but don't sleep on Mario!

Nastradamus
04-02-2015, 12:36 AM
Porzingis intrigues the hell out of me. Putting him and Middleton at F on a team that also includes Reggie,Andre and KCP/Meeks sounds pretty good to me. The 2 guards would obviously have to play up to their potential, but we aren't married to either one if it comes down to it.

Aussie Dunker
04-03-2015, 01:13 AM
^^ Yes Porzingis is indeed an intriguing prospect - but in my opinion he has the biggest chance to bust out of all the aforementioned players. I personally wouldn't want to take that risk at this stage. But his potential is clearly enormous!

And Hezonja is probably my choice if I am picking someone who is going to suit the makeup of our team right now. Athletic shooter with size and potential. If it came down to it though would probably still choose Winslow and perhaps Johnson over him if we had the chance...

Aussie Dunker
04-08-2015, 07:09 PM
Sam Dekker over these past few weeks has gone from being projected a mid-first rounder to then a potential lottery pick and now he sits as a potential top 10 pick... I guess that is the result of having a great tourney..

At this stage Winslow's stock is way high, looking like a lock for top 5.

If we had #8 pick, I'd say we would just about be able to draft any other wing we wanted. The more tape of Hezonja I watch, the more I think he has the highest potential / raw talent out of them all... Dekker is probably the safest pick but the one that has the lowest ceiling. I still can't work out if Oubre is going to be successful at the next level but I like his skill set. And I think Stanley would be a great pick at #8 but not quite sure he fits SVG's game style...

Atleast we are going to have legit options this draft you would think and will not have to overreach for a need...

dd24
04-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Unless the Pistons get very lucky I don't see us drafting high enough to draft a guy like Winslow. I'm pretty sure he's going to go in the top 5. The ping pong balls don't seem to fall in our favor so I highly doubt we'll be there. Somehow Cleveland is going to end up with that top pick again :lol. I think Winslow will be a role player in the NBA. I'm not sure if he's going to be really good though. When I start thinking of all the SF's who are really good they're all taller than 6'6". As a matter of fact, I have a hard time even thinking of a 6'6" SF that I really like. I feel like you need that extra inch or two in order to be really successful at the next level at that position.

Johnson would be the other guy at that position. I like his size better, but he can't shoot well outside.

I think Hezonja could be a really good player. He shoots well and fits what we need. The problem is he plays the same position as KCP. Hezonja also has a chance to be a bust. Although the European players lately haven't been as big of busts as they were in the past. Teams have done a better job scouting these guys. They typically take a few years to develop and translate to the NBA game though.

The latest mock I read had the Pistons taking Cauley-Stein with their pick. Then they traded him to Houston for their pick and Terrence Jones, with Detroit giving up Dinwiddie too. Then the Pistons got Kamisky with Houstons pick. I'm not sure how I feel about that either. Kamisky would be able to knock down some 3's with Drummond next to him. It's not a move that truly makes the Pistons good though. I think Kamisky is just a role player in the NBA. I'll pass on Oubre and Dekker.

I'm not all that excited for this draft. There's a few players that can help at positions of need but it's not enough help. With Detroit losing Monroe this offseason whoever they bring in won't be as good as he was. It just might be someone who is a slightly better fit next to Drummond. That probably puts us in the running for a bottom seed in the playoffs. Then we can lose to a team like Cleveland in the first round..... There's just not a lot to be excited about right now. It's not even SVG's fault. I just don't see a lot that can be done to turn things around to be a contender anytime soon.

Aussie Dunker
04-14-2015, 07:32 PM
Johnson would be the other guy at that position. I like his size better, but he can't shoot well outside.

I don't think 37% from outside is terrible - I like how he doesn't "jack" shots up. I think his mechanics are sound enough for him to be an effective shooter at the next level. I'm not saying we are looking at the next Kyle Korver here but I don't think it isn't going to be a weakness, or a Josh Smith jack up type of player.

Do you think Henzonja will be able to slide to the SF position? He is 6'8 and the league is becoming more perimeter dominant, I would have thought that might be a position he would be more suited to than SG?

dd24
04-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Hezonja has the height but not the size to play that position. I think we could go small ball with him & KCP sometimes though.

Aussie Dunker
04-14-2015, 08:40 PM
^^ Yeah my thoughts exactly as KCP can play longer than what he is listed due to his high motor and defensive effort - Henzonja is around 210 pounds now, he just turned 20, with an offseason or two I'm sure he can get to the 220 / 225 pound mark and have a body similar to a guy like Gordon Hayward, time will tell though as Euro players seem to have that slim rangey build

dd24
04-14-2015, 08:45 PM
I'd take him without a doubt if he ended up like Hayward. That kid is still getting better. He'll never be a superstar but he'll be an all-star and a very good starter and that's all you can really hope for where the Pistons will be drafting at with this draft class.

Aussie Dunker
04-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Exactly! More athletic than Hayward but Hayward just seems to "get it done" and is so damn versatile,

dd24
04-14-2015, 10:07 PM
I meant Hayward when I said all-star. I don't know if the other kid will reach that level or not, but he could.

Aussie Dunker
04-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Yeah I took it as you meant Hayward - I completely agree, if your SF can get you 20/5/5 with outside shooting and above average defense you are doing very well. Would make a great 3rd best player on a championship level team

Aussie Dunker
04-17-2015, 02:22 AM
I have now seen 4 different Mock drafts that have Stanley Johnson and Mario Henzonja being available at pick #8 for us. With 3 of those mocks have us taking Mario and 1 taking Stanley.

If we get the #8 spot (massive if as we are the Pistons, after all) it would appear that we are going to be getting one of these players, as either a choice we have to make or selecting the one who hasn't been drafted yet (highly unlikely both go top 7)...

Who would you rather select if you narrow the field down to these two? Who has the higher ceiling? Who fits our game style? Who is better at what? etc...

dd24
04-17-2015, 02:36 AM
Based on what SVG was saying today I think he's going to take a player that won't help much next year, but one he can develop to be very good for the future. I think Henzonja is probably a player more like that so I would lean toward him.

Aussie Dunker
05-19-2015, 10:12 PM
So pick #8 it is -

I predict Lakers might surprise and take Russell at #2 if Towns doesn't fall to them, which would see Philly take Mudiay and Okafor falls to Knicks at #4,

Either way those guys should round out the top 4 and it would be a huge surprise if any of them fell to #5...

Magic at #5 are apparently very high on Porzingas, and I read somewhere that they have already given him a verbal guarantee (whether you believe that or not is another thing). So I'd say Magic will choose either Porzingas or Winslow here. Porzingas / Winslow

Kings at #6 have been interested in WCS for a long time now, and like the idea of having him in a frontcourt with Cousins. Would they pass on Winslow if he was available due to drafting wings in Stauskis and Mclemore in the past 2 drafts? WCS / Winslow

Denver at #7 WILL take Winslow if he somehow falls here (unlikely), if not they might opt to take Porzingas if available or Hezonja who would both fill needs. Porzingas / Hezonja

Pisonts at #8 Should be able to take the best player on the board at this point which will hopefully also be our biggest need, a wing. 1 or both of Stanley and Hezonja should be available here (If Winslow somehow happens to slip all the way to here, which he wont, we take him in a heartbeat). Johnson / Hezonja

Just my personal thoughts - although I will more than likely be completely wrong! ha :cheers:

dd24
05-20-2015, 12:35 AM
So pick #8 it is -

I predict Lakers might surprise and take Russell at #2 if Towns doesn't fall to them, which would see Philly take Mudiay and Okafor falls to Knicks at #4,

Either way those guys should round out the top 4 and it would be a huge surprise if any of them fell to #5...

Magic at #5 are apparently very high on Porzingas, and I read somewhere that they have already given him a verbal guarantee (whether you believe that or not is another thing). So I'd say Magic will choose either Porzingas or Winslow here. Porzingas / Winslow

Kings at #6 have been interested in WCS for a long time now, and like the idea of having him in a frontcourt with Cousins. Would they pass on Winslow if he was available due to drafting wings in Stauskis and Mclemore in the past 2 drafts? WCS / Winslow

Denver at #7 WILL take Winslow if he somehow falls here (unlikely), if not they might opt to take Porzingas if available or Hezonja who would both fill needs. Porzingas / Hezonja

Pisonts at #8 Should be able to take the best player on the board at this point which will hopefully also be our biggest need, a wing. 1 or both of Stanley and Hezonja should be available here (If Winslow somehow happens to slip all the way to here, which he wont, we take him in a heartbeat). Johnson / Hezonja

Just my personal thoughts - although I will more than likely be completely wrong! ha :cheers:
I agree with all of that except the top 4. I think right now Okafur looks like the first pick. Then the Lakers will probably take Towns, although they could go Mudiay. I would expect the top 4 to be those people though, but there are teams that are cooling on Russell and some are high on Porzingas. Not a chance he falls to us. It does look like the Nuggets really like Hezonja too. I think he would be a great fit in Detroit (at least where we sit). It pretty much leaves us with Stanley Johnson. I can't see Winslow dropping to us. I like Winslow, but he is undersized to play SF in the NBA. He might be a decent player but I just can't see him being great. I have a hard time coming up with a list of great SF's who are just 6'6". It's a real bummer to be picking in this same spot again. There's just not an impact player there this time around. This draft is not deep enough. It looks like we really need to make a push to resign Reggie. I don't see any other big time FA's coming to Detroit. Then Monroe probably walks. We somehow need to get some 3 point shooters on this team.

Aussie Dunker
05-20-2015, 02:46 AM
I agree with all your points ^^ However I think it is rare that any draft has a "star" player at #8, no one thought kawaii would turn into a star and he was like pick #15 or something along those lines - so i'm not too concerned with that.

I agree on Okafor - if I was a GM i'd take him - but can almost guarantee Towns will go #1

Stanley Johnson 6'7 with 7 foot wingspan, and a 245 pound frame would e a great fit at SF for us - People forget he shot 38% three pointers last year - he doesn't force the shot which could be my favorite thing about him (The anti josh smith from downtown).

I think Hezonja has a higher ceiling than Johnson - that athleticism is truly special - I am just worried about euro players in general...

Bottom line is, I would be completely surprised if atleast one of those players wasn't on the board at #8 - and would be even more surprised if SVG was to select any other player outside of those two players... I think any other player at #8 would be a reach,

dd24
05-20-2015, 02:51 AM
They obviously went overseas to check out his game. They are absolutely interested. I think Denver is too though. And yeah other than that I think Johnson is the other guy they're looking at. I would doubt Winslow would even work out for teams outside of the top 5. I'd be very surprised if they don't take a wing player, even if Monroe is leaving and they know it.

dd24
05-20-2015, 10:14 AM
I just saw a mock draft that had Cauley-Stein in the top 5 which made for Porzingas to fall to us at 8. I suppose it's a possibility. I just don't think Cauley-Stein is that good. Hopefully his stock will rise. It would give us the choice between Porzingas and Johnson. Everybody has Denver taking Hezonja.

Nastradamus
05-20-2015, 12:41 PM
WCS isn't a great fit for us necessarily, but he's one of the bigger locks in this draft to be what he's expected to be IMO. He's going to be a DPOY candidate in this league, period.

This is a great draft to have the 8 pick in. Just sit back and see who's there. Johnson isn't in our range IMO. Take the best left out of the top 4, Winslow,the 2 Euros and Turner.

dd24
05-20-2015, 12:50 PM
For a guy who didn't do much in college you really like Cauley Stein. I see him as a bust. Let a team who really needs a C take a chance on him.

Nastradamus
05-20-2015, 04:59 PM
You must not have watched Kentucky much this year. The guy is both a well developed and highly versatile defensive player. He's a game changer to me.

But yah, we don't need him so it is what it is.

Aussie Dunker
05-20-2015, 09:46 PM
I haven't seen a C prospect who can defend the perimiter like WCS can in a very long time - he is such a versatile defender. Maybe a ceiling like a Tyson Chandler type of player, D and dunk with high energy.

But we don't need him,

I have my reservations about Porzingas, I just think to Vesely / Bargnani more than I think Dirk / Gasol for Porzingas...

dd24
05-20-2015, 10:34 PM
I haven't seen a C prospect who can defend the perimiter like WCS can in a very long time - he is such a versatile defender. Maybe a ceiling like a Tyson Chandler type of player, D and dunk with high energy.

But we don't need him,

I have my reservations about Porzingas, I just think to Vesely / Bargnani more than I think Dirk / Gasol for Porzingas...

Porzingas has been compared to Bargnani by some. Still he's a guy who's 7'1" that can shoot. That would fit really well next to Dre.

Aussie Dunker
05-20-2015, 10:51 PM
Stretching the floor to create room for Dre in the paint,

7'1 at PF creating 3-4 inch mismatch on majority of opponents,

Good athleticism,

Apparently good defense,

Seems like a dream pairing for Dre - probably the bigges risk / reward player in the top 10, if he reaches his potential he could be ridiculously good with that rare skillset, or he could be Vesely...

Nastradamus
05-20-2015, 11:05 PM
Stretching the floor to create room for Dre in the paint,

7'1 at PF creating 3-4 inch mismatch on majority of opponents,

Good athleticism,

Apparently good defense,

Seems like a dream pairing for Dre - probably the bigges risk / reward player in the top 10, if he reaches his potential he could be ridiculously good with that rare skillset, or he could be Vesely...

Yah, nobody ever accused Bargs of being a good defender like Porzingis is labelled. Him and Turner intrigue me the most next to Dre

Aussie Dunker
05-20-2015, 11:14 PM
Yeah if the Aldridge comparisons for Turner are even remotely accurate then i'm down for that pending we sign Carroll now for 1/2 his actual pricetag was going to be around 20 minutes ago ;) haha poor guy, he actually isn't a bad comparison to what I think Stanley Johnson could turn out like,

dd24
05-20-2015, 11:30 PM
Turner is a C though. I'm not sure why he would get LMA comparisons.

Aussie Dunker
05-21-2015, 01:19 AM
I think it must be the ability to be 6'11 and knock down mid range jumpers

Nastradamus
05-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Yah, with his shooting range I think he can play PF next to Drummond. LMA has played a lot of C in his day. Turner could also be the C down the stretch if they choose to sit Drummond.

dd24
05-21-2015, 01:55 PM
If Detroit had LMA they'd be contenders in the East.

Nastradamus
05-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Agreed

dd24
05-21-2015, 02:41 PM
If LMA really wanted to win he'd head to a team like Detroit. It gets him out of that crazy Western conference. It puts him in a place that would give him a good chance and could offer him a max contract. Let Monroe walk, take the best wing available in the draft, resign Reggie, and all the sudden the Pistons look good. Easier said than done though lol.

Reggie
KCP
Johnson/Hezonja???
LMA
Dre

That would be fun to watch. If they drafted Hezonja I think he's a few years out from really being a contributor though.

dd24
05-21-2015, 10:57 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/21/report-kristaps-porzingis-will-draw-significant-interest-from-magic-kings-pistons-in-nba-draft/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Aussie Dunker
05-22-2015, 04:21 AM
I'm not too thrilled if we get Porzingas - I don't hate it, but i'd prefer to take the best SF on the board at the time

Nastradamus
05-22-2015, 10:55 AM
We need a PF just as bad as a SF and Porzingis seems like exactly what SVG would want at the 4 spot.

dd24
05-22-2015, 06:03 PM
I'd be happy with Porzingis. There's some that consider him a top 3 pick. I feel like he'd thrive next to Dre. Right now I think Hezonja is my top choice but he's not NBA ready. We're just going to have to cross our fingers and see who falls to us. If Cauley-Stein can move up to someone than maybe there's a player who can fall to us. This is the worst part about always drafting here.....

el gringos
05-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Porzingis won't last that long.

Who do you guys think the kings and nugs take?

dd24
05-23-2015, 04:25 PM
I think the Kings and Nuggets are looking at the same players we are lol. The Kings basically have the same needs that we do. The Nuggets just have a ton of holes in their lineup right now. It really seems like the Nuggets are high on Hezonja, but does that really make sense when they have guys like Gallinari and Wilson Chandler? It would seem to me that Cauley-Stein would fit with Denver better. Even if Hezonja is there I'm not sure if the Pistons would take him over someone like Johnson. It looks like the Pistons want someone who is more NBA ready... Hezonja will definitely take a few years to develop.

el gringos
05-23-2015, 05:56 PM
I think the Kings and Nuggets are looking at the same players we are lol. The Kings basically have the same needs that we do. The Nuggets just have a ton of holes in their lineup right now. It really seems like the Nuggets are high on Hezonja, but does that really make sense when they have guys like Gallinari and Wilson Chandler? It would seem to me that Cauley-Stein would fit with Denver better. Even if Hezonja is there I'm not sure if the Pistons would take him over someone like Johnson. It looks like the Pistons want someone who is more NBA ready... Hezonja will definitely take a few years to develop.
I agree, that's why I asked. It almost seems all of the teams 5-8 are looking at pf/wing. Or maybe that's just the only thing available and they are clearly a tier to themselves. Something about Johnson I'm not sure id take him. He prob, and Winslow and Mario for sure are 2's and would lose a bunch of their physical advantages being 3's. IMO the only true 3's are dekker and possibly looney. Highest potential ceiling at the 3 is looney

dd24
05-23-2015, 08:23 PM
I really like Winslow but I've said all along I don't think someone 6'6" can be a really good SF. He needs a few more inches.

el gringos
05-24-2015, 12:03 AM
I really like Winslow but I've said all along I don't think someone 6'6" can be a really good SF. He needs a few more inches.
Definitly a 2. I call him super safe even though his ball handling as a guard is a question. Don't want the Knicks to take him because there are 3-4-5 guys better there, but that's the situation I see him working best. An offensive guy at the 1 and 3 (Calderon/Carmelo) allowing him to do the dirty work.

Aussie Dunker
05-24-2015, 02:56 AM
Hezonja is deff more a 2 than 3, but would be able to play small ball without being "small" with KCP at the 2 and Hezonja at the 3. Winslow deff a 2. But Stanley is deff a 3 in my eyes.

Nastradamus
05-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Porzingis won't last that long.

Who do you guys think the kings and nugs take?

Nuggets board has to be

Winslow
WCS
Dammit we're screwed

Nastradamus
05-24-2015, 11:19 AM

WCS doesn't really fit with Faried and Nurkic at all. Denver ends up with one of the Euros IMO.

Nastradamus
05-24-2015, 11:20 AM

Length and standing reach are typically more important than height. Winslow is equivalent there to guys like H.Barnes and J.Butler

dd24
05-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Nuggets board has to be

Winslow
WCS
Dammit we're screwed
Hopefully WCS won't be a Piston so that's a good thing. We need him to go high.

Aussie Dunker
05-24-2015, 09:19 PM
Yes ^ The higher WCS goes the better,

I highly doubt we take him anyway even if he was available.

Just watched some more tape on Dekker, his combine workout - he has got to have one of the nicest releases on his jump shot. High release, high arc, effortless... This could be a good who really excels in the NBA. Not with #8 but say SVG was to make a trade and we were to snatch #12 - #16 I would not hesitate to go for him over Oubre, Dekker, Hollis etc

Nastradamus
05-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Yes ^ The higher WCS goes the better,

I highly doubt we take him anyway even if he was available.

Just watched some more tape on Dekker, his combine workout - he has got to have one of the nicest releases on his jump shot. High release, high arc, effortless... This could be a good who really excels in the NBA. Not with #8 but say SVG was to make a trade and we were to snatch #12 - #16 I would not hesitate to go for him over Oubre, Dekker, Hollis etc

Dekker definitely intrigues me quite a bit. There are drafts where I'd take him at 8. Some team like OKC is going to get a steal.

dd24
05-29-2015, 05:10 PM
When the Pistons kept saying there's a few guards there looking at I think I know what they're talking about now. Teams are starting to consider Stanley Johnson a 2 guard instead of a SF. Apparently he's measured shorter than what he's listed at. He's more like 6'5" or 6'6". He too small to play much SF in the NBA. With that said I've seen him listed as high as the 2nd best player in the draft. I think a team would be crazy to draft him 2 though.

Aussie Dunker
05-29-2015, 07:12 PM
I think his game pans out more like a true SF and not a SG ^ Stanley Johnson. The comparisons to Artest are actually physically quite accurate - built so powerful, and he is maybe 1 or 2 inches shorter than average at that position but i'm sure his length makes up for it. I think out of all the wings he has the least potential to play SG...

Booker seems to be a hot comodity and rising right now - i'v seen various reports sayig how he is the best shooter in the draft / compares to Klay Thompson, very mature... I think t #8 that is too high and we really don't need to patch that position up as KCP is looking like a legit two-way role player who is improving (ranked #2 in the league for increase in ppg after Butler)..

Winslow / Hezonja / Johnson / Porzingas - in that order for me should be our big board (even though I know Porzingas is probably the most highly touted out of those 4)...

Nastradamus
05-30-2015, 05:52 PM
When the Pistons kept saying there's a few guards there looking at I think I know what they're talking about now. Teams are starting to consider Stanley Johnson a 2 guard instead of a SF. Apparently he's measured shorter than what he's listed at. He's more like 6'5" or 6'6". He too small to play much SF in the NBA. With that said I've seen him listed as high as the 2nd best player in the draft. I think a team would be crazy to draft him 2 though.

Johnson is definitely all SF. The SGs were likely Hezonja and Booker, maybe Hunter too.

dd24
05-30-2015, 05:59 PM
Is there another true SF currently in the NBA who is 6'5"? He's listed at 6'7" but measured at 6'5". There's just not enough good wing players available in this draft.

Nastradamus
05-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Is there another true SF currently in the NBA who is 6'5"? He's listed at 6'7" but measured at 6'5". There's just not enough good wing players available in this draft.

Without shoes,like Johnson, probably so. Its better to go off of standing reach and to look at wingspan as well. Johnson doens't have the skillset to play SG IMO He's a combo F type. Kawhi is 6'6 in socks too, for example. Johnson is either a SF or he's a bust.

Aussie Dunker
05-30-2015, 10:35 PM
If Stanley was built like most 6'6 rookies at around 205 pounds then no, he couldn't play SF - he would more than likely get manhandled. But the fact that he is 240+ pounds with high energy / motor, and known for his defensive instincts - I say he has no problem playing the position in the NBA, especially considering how popular small ball is becoming...

Entering the draft Kawhi was compared to Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, 6'7 and weighed 225,

Stanley is compared to Kawhi / Artest, 6'6 and weighs 242

Obviously Kawhi has blown all expectations of him out of the water and become a star, but whats saying Stanley can't do that? Considering he is somewhat of a better prospect than Kawhi was entering the draft...

Also Stanley has a 6'11.5" wingspan - which is the same as Paul George, Andrew Wiggins and Blake Griffin, and has a standing reach of 8'6" - which is the same as Gordan Hayward, Khris Middleton and Jabari Parker.

I think he will translate well as a SF in the league, that is just my opinion.

Nastradamus
05-31-2015, 12:02 PM
If Stanley was built like most 6'6 rookies at around 205 pounds then no, he couldn't play SF - he would more than likely get manhandled. But the fact that he is 240+ pounds with high energy / motor, and known for his defensive instincts - I say he has no problem playing the position in the NBA, especially considering how popular small ball is becoming...

Entering the draft Kawhi was compared to Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, 6'7 and weighed 225,

Stanley is compared to Kawhi / Artest, 6'6 and weighs 242

Obviously Kawhi has blown all expectations of him out of the water and become a star, but whats saying Stanley can't do that? Considering he is somewhat of a better prospect than Kawhi was entering the draft...

Also Stanley has a 6'11.5" wingspan - which is the same as Paul George, Andrew Wiggins and Blake Griffin, and has a standing reach of 8'6" - which is the same as Gordan Hayward, Khris Middleton and Jabari Parker.

I think he will translate well as a SF in the league, that is just my opinion.

Yup, good stuff.

Nastradamus
05-31-2015, 12:03 PM
Man I would love to have a 2ndlate lottery pick this year. The depth at the top is pushing a few really good prospects down. Kaminsky particularly,but also Dekker,Hunter,Delon Wright,Portis,Booker and Looney.

dd24
05-31-2015, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't mind one of those guys, but you gotta figure out of all of them you just listed probably just one is going to turn into a decent player. Huge risk. It depends on what Detroit would have to give up to get that pick.

Aussie Dunker
05-31-2015, 05:32 PM
For examample if we had a pick between 16 - 20 and Looney was still available?! I'd be all over that. Or if we were to take Porzingas at #8 i'd love to have a crack at Dekker / Oubre if one of them was to slip into that 16-20 range...

Jennings to Houston for #18? To Dallas for #21? Both need help at the point,

dd24
05-31-2015, 06:00 PM
For examample if we had a pick between 16 - 20 and Looney was still available?! I'd be all over that. Or if we were to take Porzingas at #8 i'd love to have a crack at Dekker / Oubre if one of them was to slip into that 16-20 range...

Jennings to Houston for #18? To Dallas for #21? Both need help at the point,
The media has been making some rumors of Jennings trades to a team in Texas. Honestly, Jennings is a far better player than whoever we would get at that point in the draft. It would take more than just a draft pick to get him. Plus those teams don't have the cap space to just trade a pick for a player anyway.

Aussie Dunker
05-31-2015, 06:51 PM
Who knows if Jennings would be better than a returning draft pick 15 - 23, the draft is such variable thing....

#15 Kawhi
#15 Antetokounmpo
#15 Al Jefferson
#18 Bledsoe
#19 Teague
#21 Rondo
#24 Ibaka
#27 Gobert
#30 Butler

#35 Draymond Green
#35 Deandre Jordan
#47 Millsap
#48 Marc Gasol

So just had a quick scope through the past 8 or so drafts and there seems to be some hidden talent on draft nights between that 15 - 27 spots. And even in the second rounds (albeit quite rare)...

But this is why I don't bag out the talent of a draft before atleast getting a glimpse of what they can be like in the NBA. They all have ridiculous talent, but it is the mindset that you can't measure during workouts.

Put Kawhi's mind inside of Batum's head and a star is born,

Put Draymond Green's mind inside of Hibbert and we have a multiple DPOY monster,

So for me, at the end of the day, i'd risk trading Jennings for a late lottery / mid first rounder and try and find the basketball brain which can translate into being so much more than anyone anticipated - such as all those guys I listed above...

dd24
05-31-2015, 07:57 PM
Ok so you went back 8 drafts and found a handful of examples. That's my point. It's really tough to find difference makers there. I'll keep the proven commodity. Plus like I said, you have to take a player in return. Houston and Dallas don't have the cap space to just trade a pick for a player. The NBA doesn't work like that. I do think Houston would be very interested in Jennings. I just don't know how well he could work there with Harden having the ball in his hands most the time. I'm sure they think the same thing too. Anyway they need a PG. I actually think Jennings is worth more than a 15 pick. What PG in this draft is better than Jennings? The only one you could make a case for is Mudiay. Even that people could debate.

Aussie Dunker
05-31-2015, 10:01 PM
You would then have to take into account Jennings injury / age / bone headidness - and the fact that we will have Jackson at the point (considering we resign him, chances are we do), then yeah in our situation I pull the trigger and feel a need with young talent with high upside, such as a Looney, with a mid round draft pick... Pointless though as it will never happen!

Nastradamus
05-31-2015, 11:03 PM
Nobody's giving you a 1st for Jennings off an achilles. Or healthy for that matter.

dd24
05-31-2015, 11:07 PM
I don't see why not. He was playing the best ball of his career. Once Smith left he was killing it. If you can't get that for him it's better just to keep him.

Aussie Dunker
06-01-2015, 01:07 AM
I doub't we would get anything higher than a pick 20 for him (and that is being optimistic). It is a reflection on just hoe many good point guards there are in the league - demand for PG's are low right now, I would take whatever we can get for him - I Highly doubt he would be happy playing second fiddle behind reggie. And would love for Spender to be getting 15 minutes per game to continue his development

dd24
06-01-2015, 01:59 AM
I doub't we would get anything higher than a pick 20 for him (and that is being optimistic). It is a reflection on just hoe many good point guards there are in the league - demand for PG's are low right now, I would take whatever we can get for him - I Highly doubt he would be happy playing second fiddle behind reggie. And would love for Spender to be getting 15 minutes per game to continue his development

Low??? The demand is high, lol. PG is a very important position and there aren't any in the draft and there's one main FA in Rondo.

Nastradamus
06-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Low??? The demand is high, lol. PG is a very important position and there aren't any in the draft and there's one main FA in Rondo.

There aren't a whole lot of PG openings, its the league's first or 2nd(PF) deepest position right now. 2 slots will be filled by Mudiay and Russell too most likely.

The main problem is the achilles injury. That's a career changer, if not ender.
Its hard to gamble on a guy for 8 mil given that situation. I could see a team like LAL,NY or Hou gambling on him, but I doubt you get any value. Dumping his salary could have value to us though.

dd24
06-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Russell is definitely not a PG so that's not a spot. Mudiay is. He's the only one in the draft that will probably see any kind of significant playing time. Jennings is on a very good contract so he's not a financial burden really. There's no reason to dump his salary just for the heck of it. Plus he's already out of his walking boot and they say he'll be playing in August. When the cap goes up (and we all know it's going to for sure), that contract is going to be a steal for the last year of it. Then he'll probably end up with a raise.

Nastradamus
06-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Russell is definitely not a PG so that's not a spot. Mudiay is. He's the only one in the draft that will probably see any kind of significant playing time. Jennings is on a very good contract so he's not a financial burden really. There's no reason to dump his salary just for the heck of it. Plus he's already out of his walking boot and they say he'll be playing in August. When the cap goes up (and we all know it's going to for sure), that contract is going to be a steal for the last year of it. Then he'll probably end up with a raise.

Oh he'll be playing, but an achilles injury is a situation where you often never get your full quicks back. That's huge for a guy like Jennings.

Its plenty possible Russell ends up playing PG for whoever drafts him.

For us, an 8 mil backup PG is a burden. We could use that money a lot more effectively. There's no reason Jackson,KCP,Meeks and Dinwiddie can't eat the vast majority of our G minutes next year. Even as the backup to Jackson, Jennings is going to get 10 minutes a game. That's poor roster construction.

dd24
06-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Oh he'll be playing, but an achilles injury is a situation where you often never get your full quicks back. That's huge for a guy like Jennings.

Its plenty possible Russell ends up playing PG for whoever drafts him.

For us, an 8 mil backup PG is a burden. We could use that money a lot more effectively. There's no reason Jackson,KCP,Meeks and Dinwiddie can't eat the vast majority of our G minutes next year. Even as the backup to Jackson, Jennings is going to get 10 minutes a game. That's poor roster construction.
I'd love to see Dinwiddie get some more minutes too. But I'm not going to give away a very good player for nothing. You guys are talking about trading a border line all-star for someone who may not be in the league in a few years.

Aussie Dunker
06-01-2015, 05:23 PM
PG demand in the league is at an all time high, but not for guys like Jennings. Without counting there are probably close to 20 PG's better than him, including one on our team, as well as the whole Achilles thing... I just don't see him having much currency = so If a team was prepared to offer us a mid first rounder i'd jump on that. He is now the odd man out in detroit....

Aussie Dunker
06-01-2015, 06:53 PM
And just for the record I think Russell is going to play PG in this league, it just seems to be the trend - scoring PG's... A little like Curry, I think that is going to be the new prototype floor general...

dd24
06-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Well, there was an article today where SVG said he wasn't trading Jennings.

Aussie Dunker
06-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Even if he did, he couldn't come out and say that, would drive Jennings value right down. I don't think SVG would trade jennings either,

Could we play both in the backcourt??.... hrmm

dd24
06-01-2015, 08:43 PM
He said that's his intention. He did it with Augustin & Jennings. I think he will play Reggie and Jennings together. It's all about having players in the back court now. I think having an abundance of guards is a good thing.

Aussie Dunker
06-01-2015, 09:09 PM
I guess Reggie and Spencer both have the size to play 2-guard, but Spencer is as pure of a PG as they come, and Reggie has some trouble with his deep shooting. Jennings is the best shooter of the 3 but is by far the smallest.

I wonder how Reggie and Jennings would feel about a commity type situation, PG share (think NFL running backs) - I have a feeling given their egos they both want to be feature backs - and not sure if it can pan out the way we are hoping it would...

At the end of the day SVG is 100 x smarter than either you or I so I am not that concerned - we will make the right decision either way

Nastradamus
06-02-2015, 12:56 AM
I'd love to see Dinwiddie get some more minutes too. But I'm not going to give away a very good player for nothing. You guys are talking about trading a border line all-star for someone who may not be in the league in a few years.

I don't think Jennings is a borderline all star, or close. Like Aussie said, he's probably not top 20 at his position, let alone top 5-10 as an All Star would need to be. Plus I still think you're drastically underrating the impact of an achilles injury.

dd24
06-02-2015, 01:14 AM
I don't think Jennings is a borderline all star, or close. Like Aussie said, he's probably not top 20 at his position, let alone top 5-10 as an All Star would need to be. Plus I still think you're drastically underrating the impact of an achilles injury.
You have to take into consideration when Smith was there he was the guy who primarily had the ball in his hands. When Smith was let go, it was finally Jennings. He would have put up huge numbers last season. Huge. He was playing as good as anybody and the best ball in his career. I think you underestimate what he was capable of. Guys can come back form achilles now too. It's not like when Isiah was playing.

Nastradamus
06-02-2015, 12:45 PM
You have to take into consideration when Smith was there he was the guy who primarily had the ball in his hands. When Smith was let go, it was finally Jennings. He would have put up huge numbers last season. Huge. He was playing as good as anybody and the best ball in his career. I think you underestimate what he was capable of. Guys can come back form achilles now too. It's not like when Isiah was playing.

Who has done so?

I completely agree about Jennings' play and what he is capable of, but he still has major issues and we are talking a small sample size.

Aussie Dunker
06-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Jennings was AMAZING post Josh smith trade, he truly was. But even that stretch was overshadowed by Reggie Jackson stretch once he got into the groove of things. With Reggie we are still looking at a somewhat unknown potential, but those final 15 games last year he looked like a borderline top 5 P, and statistically as probably ranked #1 in that period...

I think Reggie at his best is better than Jennings at his best, and especially Jennings post Achilles... One of the hardest injuries to rehab in as a professional athlete (I'm an Exercise Physiologist - deal with this kinda stuff daily). He will come back from it, but physically might be around 90% of himself, and mentally could be like 80% of himself, dips large enough to end his career as a starting caliber point guard...

dd24
06-02-2015, 06:23 PM
I know Reggie played lights out too. That's why I'm not comparing the two. I think we have two very good guards. I don't want to let one go for nothing. Luckily SVG doesn't either. I would bet the Lakers would move two of their later picks in a S&T for Monroe (since he may end up there anyhow depending on who they're targeting with that #2 pick) but free agency doesn't start before the draft.... Just trying to think of ways to not let Monroe walk for nothing lol. There's a slim chance that he signs a two year deal with Detroit though. He could opt out after next season. Then when the cap goes up he could get the really big contract he's looking for. That's best case scenario for us. Then we'd have time to trade him to a team he wants to play for and get something in return.

dd24
06-03-2015, 10:17 AM
The Pistons' pick is being shopped around, though Detroit might be better off just holding onto it. ESPN.com

My question would be what are they getting in return. I know SVG is in win now mode and that happens more with guys who have been in the league a few years but I think it could be a very dangerous move to not use our lottery pick this year. I could see them moving down which would make some sense depending on who they're targeting. Two years in a row without a first rounder would really hurt the team though.

Also Drummond made a quote without being asked saying everybody needs to watch out for Quincy Miller. I wonder if the Pistons are thinking he's made enough progress that they have a young wing player. I would have a hard time believing he could go from a guy who barely could make a team to a starter though. He has the size. At 6'10" 220 he's a guy who should be able to be better at SF than what he's shown.

Nastradamus
06-04-2015, 12:17 AM
I can't see anyone offering us a good deal for that pick. I love the value at 8 too much anyways.

Aussie Dunker
06-04-2015, 02:57 AM
M
Also Drummond made a quote without being asked saying everybody needs to watch out for Quincy Miller. I wonder if the Pistons are thinking he's made enough progress that they have a young wing player. I would have a hard time believing he could go from a guy who barely could make a team to a starter though. He has the size. At 6'10" 220 he's a guy who should be able to be better at SF than what he's shown.

Yeah man :cheers: In the other thread I mentioned this. I love his potential, the kid is crazy talented and that size is just ridiculous for his position. He is still super young, give him an off-season with SVG and let's see how he goes. Surely he could atleast be a scorer / defender off the bench for us

dd24
06-04-2015, 03:24 AM
Yeah man :cheers: In the other thread I mentioned this. I love his potential, the kid is crazy talented and that size is just ridiculous for his position. He is still super young, give him an off-season with SVG and let's see how he goes. Surely he could atleast be a scorer / defender off the bench for us
Yeah, I remember you bringing it up. He definitely has the size. With a guy that's done absolutely nothing if he were good enough it would seem like he would have been in the rotation. Hopefully he plays summer league. Then we can see what he can do, even though he'll be far more experienced than the guys he'll be playing against.

Nastradamus
06-04-2015, 01:16 PM
Does anyone consider Drummond for both the Lakers' first round picks?

Thought process being one of two things.

1. You don't think Drummond and Monroe can play together,but you think Monroe will stay if you max him out. Monroe is a better fit for the 1 in 4 out stratetgy SVG likes to employ and this way you don't lose one of the two for nothing in return. At 2 you take either Russell,Hezonja or Winslow to give you the floor spacing you need in our system. I might make such a trade contingent on landing Robert Upshaw with the 2nd pick from the Lakers. Hoping for Turner or Porzingis at 8 in this scenario.

2. You take Okafor and build your 1 in, 4 out system around him. He's a damn good post scoring prospect and you'd have him under control for longer than Drummond. You save your cap money that would be used on Monroe for a starting SF or PF. Tobias Harris maybe.

dd24
06-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Nah, I'm sticking with the proven commodity. Okafur and Towns are both going to take a few years before they produce. Drummond is just starting to get to the point to where he's going to be a very good player in the league. I'm not worried about the end of the first round that much. The Lakers do want to move one or two of those picks though. I'm not sure we have much to offer other than Monroe in a sign and trade which is impossible to do before the draft. The only thing you could do is have some kind of hand shake kind of deal where the Lakers draft for you and then you send Monroe later on. They're interested in going after him and he's interested in playing there. Even that's a long shot.

Nastradamus
06-04-2015, 02:28 PM
The Lakers can sign Monroe outright. They have zero motivation to do a sign and trade, especially for so much value.

dd24
06-04-2015, 02:38 PM
The Lakers can sign Monroe outright. They have zero motivation to do a sign and trade, especially for so much value.
True, but Monroe does so he can make more money. Otherwise it might be smarter for him to sign a 2 year deal in Detroit with an opt out for next season so he can really get paid when the cap goes up.

Nastradamus
06-05-2015, 12:41 PM
True, but Monroe does so he can make more money. Otherwise it might be smarter for him to sign a 2 year deal in Detroit with an opt out for next season so he can really get paid when the cap goes up.
You can't get more in a sign and trade any more.

dd24
06-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Then I don't see how we really have pieces that are attractive to other teams that we can trade.

Nastradamus
06-06-2015, 07:53 PM
We don't. Only Drummond and maybe Jackson.

insidehoops
06-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Latest Pistons draft workouts: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=17764

dd24
06-09-2015, 12:40 PM
More Quincy Miller stories....

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/pistons-prepare-draft-they-just-might-have-bonus-pick-their-back-pocket-quincy-miller

I've gotta think that Miller has a legit chance to start next season. He's put on 20 pounds and there's been a lot of press for him lately, which seems really odd for someone who was barely in the league. I would think if the right PF is there at #8 then Detroit would draft for that position instead of SF. I think with as much as Prozingas stock has went up it would be a long shot he would still be there, but if he is Detroit would go PF. I could also see them potentially going small and having Miller play PF and drafting a guy like Stanley Johnson if that's all that's available. If they go after a guy like Portis then I think that pretty much guarantees Miller will start (pending who they may sign in free agency). Summer league is also going to tell us a lot.

Aussie Dunker
06-09-2015, 07:25 PM
So Miller's body checks out as 6'10" and approximately 235 pounds, with a standing reach and wingspan the equivalent to Greg Monroe. That is some SERIOUS size for a SF. And yeah I totally agree he could play periods as a stretch 4 next to Dre. He moves very well for that size too. He says he has been putting in huge amounts of work on his shot, which was already one of his stronger points so that is pretty exciting...

It would be a huge risk to not draft an SF with #8 based on putting our eggs into a guy who has failed to land a solid rotation spot in his career in Miller. But man, I think it's going to click for him. He has ALL the tools needed, just needed to get that head right and be around good coaches who can untap that potential.

My question is, if we were to go after a PF, granted Porzingas will already be of the board (90% sure he would be) then who do we like?

- Trey Lyles (most rounded of them all, very solid at all aspects, probably doesn't have 3 pt range but very good midrange)

- Myles Turner (if we think he can play PF in a similar style to LA, rumored to go anywhere between #4 and #15, hard to gauge, seems to have huge upside)

- Frank Kaminsky (recently said he is a PF not a C, most NBA ready of them all, seems super hungry and has legit 3pt range)

Then if we like the following two, we could probably trade down to #15 or so,
- Bobby Portis (Great size for a PF, good midrange and very active)
- Kevin Looney (Enormous potential, can play some SF, great rebounder)

dd24
06-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Looney just has bust written all over him. The other guys it's really a toss up. I like the upside of Portis the most, but I think Lyles could be good too. I think Kaminsky doesn't have a high ceiling but you at least know what you're getting.

Aussie Dunker
06-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Yes agree with the Looney comment ^^ He is the one most likely not to end up being a factor. Doesn't matter how big your upside is (I think he has quite a big upside to be honest) if you are not going to get there...

I highly doubt a team will take Portis in the first 15 picks, I would be confident trading down to get him.

I think I like Lyles the best though, even though I really like the defensive / outside shooting potential of having Turner play the PF....

Aussie Dunker
06-09-2015, 09:20 PM
p.s remember how Austin Daye looked like Tracey McGrady in his 3rd and 4th years in the summer league against rookies?! That is kinda what I expect from Quincy Miller this year against cats who are just entering the league.

Nastradamus
06-09-2015, 09:29 PM
I don't think a team like Detroit can afford to trade down. We need to be trying for a star, not settling for a solid role player later on. The trade down value won't be good enough.

dd24
06-09-2015, 09:59 PM
p.s remember how Austin Daye looked like Tracey McGrady in his 3rd and 4th years in the summer league against rookies?! That is kinda what I expect from Quincy Miller this year against cats who are just entering the league.
That's my expectation too. The main difference being Miller actually put on weight. So if he can't tear up summer league then I really don't have high hopes for him. If he can finally do well really well there then maybe there's a chance.

dd24
06-09-2015, 10:15 PM
I don't think a team like Detroit can afford to trade down. We need to be trying for a star, not settling for a solid role player later on. The trade down value won't be good enough.
We just have to hope that someone slips down. There's people that think we may take Lyles at 8 anyhow. We really need Cauley-Stein to move up. Cameron Payne is another guy that could move up possibly. That would help us out. Everybody seems to think Denver is drafting Hezonja if he's there. It's like it's set in stone. Do you guys think that's a crazy move for them? I really do. they have Gallinari and Chandler. It seems like the one position they are pretty solid at. I'd take Gallinari off their hands in a heart beat if they really don't want him.

Aussie Dunker
06-09-2015, 10:22 PM
^^ I even saw a mock with Denver taking Hezonja over Winslow, and Winslow falling to us - I doubt that happens.

I think Cauley-stein will go to kings personally,

And yeah i'd take Galli off there hands too, I really like him as a big SF / stretch 4 for periods. We just don't have the assets to trade unfortunately unless they would take a high second round pick for him?... Doubtful though,

I am actually quite confident we will have the choice of two of Winslow, Hezonja, Stanley. I think only one of those guys will be off the board by the time we pick.

dd24
06-09-2015, 10:30 PM
I think two of them will. I just can't see Orlando taking Winslow like everyone thinks though. They have Payton, Harris, Gordon, and Oladipo. Their wings and back court seem set.

Porzingas does make some sense for Sacramento. He may end up there too. I guess it depends on who they like better. I'm kind of hoping they go for PG and reach for Cameron Payne. I would think Cauley-Stein would land with the Magic before Sacramento.

Denver doesn't really want Lawson anymore. I could see them maybe being interested in Jennings. Jennings for Gallo does help both teams.

Aussie Dunker
06-09-2015, 11:19 PM
^^ I'd do that in a heart beat because a) I like Gallo, and b) I really like Spencer and c) I'm not so thrilled about having Jennings and Reggie time share at PG, would rather just give Reggie the keys to the guy and build with him.

It wouldn't be a HUGE surprise if Mudiay gets past on by NY, Magic wont take him, then if kings opt for WCS or Porzingas, then Mudiay will fall to 7, in which Denver would see as a bargain if in fact Lawson is on the move....

dd24
06-09-2015, 11:34 PM
If Mudiay fell to Sacramento they'd be jumping for joy. No way he gets to Denver.

Aussie Dunker
06-10-2015, 06:37 AM
Kings do need a PG, but I think GM's are fairly split about Mudiay, I think there might be some feeling around the league he might not be as good as what people think. Again, like Exum last year - real hard to compare him to the college players... I can deff see how a GM might be scared to draft him. Not sure how Sac feel about him, but I deff know they are real high on the concept of WCS playing alongside Boogie,

Either way he will be gone with one of the top 7 picks, I just really can't see NY, Orl going for him at #4 or #5

dd24
06-10-2015, 10:10 AM
Mudiay didn't compete against college players but it was guys that were in the NBA so I think it's pretty fair to say he won't be a bust. He has great size for his position, speed, gets to the rim.... all he needs to do is to work on his jump shot. I can't see him being a bust. Maybe he doesn't become an all-star but he's at least going to be a starter for a while in this league. It usually takes PG's a season or two to get things down, but I think Mudiay is a pretty safe pick.

Nastradamus
06-10-2015, 11:34 AM
We just have to hope that someone slips down. There's people that think we may take Lyles at 8 anyhow. We really need Cauley-Stein to move up. Cameron Payne is another guy that could move up possibly. That would help us out. Everybody seems to think Denver is drafting Hezonja if he's there. It's like it's set in stone. Do you guys think that's a crazy move for them? I really do. they have Gallinari and Chandler. It seems like the one position they are pretty solid at. I'd take Gallinari off their hands in a heart beat if they really don't want him.

To be fair, the Nuggets have a player as good or better at every position. Nurkic looked like a stud as a rookie, Faried is a guy they paid big money, you have Lawson at the point and even Gary Harris at the 2, who was a decently high draft pick.

I get liking Hezonja and I typically have them taking either him or Winslow. Gallinari is good, but he's been injured and isn't a true go to scorer like Hezonja can be. That's the one thing they don't have. Chandler is a backup. Gallinari can also play some stretch 4 to give them different looks.

Nastradamus
06-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Kings do need a PG, but I think GM's are fairly split about Mudiay, I think there might be some feeling around the league he might not be as good as what people think. Again, like Exum last year - real hard to compare him to the college players... I can deff see how a GM might be scared to draft him. Not sure how Sac feel about him, but I deff know they are real high on the concept of WCS playing alongside Boogie,

Either way he will be gone with one of the top 7 picks, I just really can't see NY, Orl going for him at #4 or #5

Everyone in the draft has question marks,but no way Mudiay slips by Sacramento. They run to the podium for that one. He's close to John Wall as a prospect

dd24
06-10-2015, 11:41 AM
To be fair, the Nuggets have a player as good or better at every position. Nurkic looked like a stud as a rookie, Faried is a guy they paid big money, you have Lawson at the point and even Gary Harris at the 2, who was a decently high draft pick.

I get liking Hezonja and I typically have them taking either him or Winslow. Gallinari is good, but he's been injured and isn't a true go to scorer like Hezonja can be. That's the one thing they don't have. Chandler is a backup. Gallinari can also play some stretch 4 to give them different looks.
Chandler is a backup. You help me make my point, see how much depth they have at that position. Of course Faried is their PF. Outside of those positions I think they need help everywhere. Hezonja just doesn't make sense there to me. If he gets drafted by the Nuggets he'll likely be a bust in the NBA. Part of some of these guys making it is getting drafted into the right place where they fit.

Nastradamus
06-10-2015, 12:54 PM
agree to disagree I guess. I don't see anyone on that roster I want to be more than my 2nd best wing. Gallinari might not even be in their plans going forward and he can play the 4. Trade Chandler when you draft Mario if you want. These are just bad reasons to pass, and again, their players at C,PF and PG are better than their wing players by a good amount.

Aussie Dunker
06-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Mario to Nugz would see a fair bit of game time at both the 2 and 3 I would have thought, he is a better prospect than Harris and at this stage of his career, seems a better prospect than Gallo.

It wouldn't be a terrible place for him to land considering Chandler seems to always be on the trading block, and if they really wanted to clean house i'm sure Gallo would be one of their few players that could trade with any decent currency.

Aussie Dunker
06-10-2015, 08:10 PM
I have seen a few mocks lately that have us taking Booker...

What is everyone's thoughts on that, considering he is a true SG at 6'6" and regarded as the best deep shooter in the draft with almost perfect mechanics...

I'm a big believer in KCP's two way potential and his huge motor / hustle / determination... I truly think KCP can be one of the better 3 and D SG's in the league in a year or two...

dd24
06-10-2015, 10:11 PM
SG's are always tough to tell. It takes them 2-3 years to develop typically. Look at how long it took Harden to get to where he is. And he's still not a defensive player... Even Kobe took a few years before he was good. I think it wouldn't make sense to take another SG. We're not sure what KCP is yet. I know that we wouldn't get much out of Booker over the next few years though.

Aussie Dunker
06-10-2015, 11:16 PM
In an alternate universe in which KCP was 6'8 and 15 pounds heavier and was a true SF, then I think I would jump at Booker if Hezonja wasn't there at #8. I think Booker has a chance to be a real good specialist in this league at SG. I'm thinking a bigger, better version of Redick

Nastradamus
06-11-2015, 12:00 PM
I'd be plenty fine playing BOoker and KCP together if Booker was BPA

dd24
06-11-2015, 12:27 PM
He might just be. Besides being 1-1/2" shorter than Klay Thompson he draws a lot of comparisons. He's the best shooter in the draft. Some say Hezonja might be but either way it's one of those two. Shooting is a huge thing in the NBA today and obviously an area of weakness for the Pistons. With KCP and Meeks locked up for the near future I can't see the Pistons drafting Booker though.

Nastradamus
06-11-2015, 01:14 PM
I'm fine being a little small if he can play. I have too many players ahead of him though. I do value his shooting, but he showed little ability to create a shot, pass or defend. Will those things come? NOt sure.

dd24
06-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Now that the Pistons traded for Ilyasova I really see us going after a SF. It will either be Johnson or Hezonja. Whoever is there is the person Detroit will take. It wouldn't make sense to trade the pick anymore. If they were targeting a PF I could see moving down a few spots. Now you have to stick at 8 and grab the best available. Looks like Monroe is gone.

Aussie Dunker
06-11-2015, 05:55 PM
It wouldn't shock me if NY, ORL, SAC took Mudiay, WCS, Pozingas.

Leaving Denver to choose Hezonja,

Meaning Winslow to slip to us at #8,

Would you consider that a no brainer if Winslow was to slip to #8?

dd24
06-11-2015, 07:05 PM
It wouldn't shock me if NY, ORL, SAC took Mudiay, WCS, Pozingas.

Leaving Denver to choose Hezonja,

Meaning Winslow to slip to us at #8,

Would you consider that a no brainer if Winslow was to slip to #8?
I think it's a tough choice between Johnson and Winslow. Both are undersized for their position. The arm length doesn't mean much to me. I think Winslow very well could be too short to play his position. Johnson may be the better outside shooter. Winslow was in the spotlight more in college. Johnson was the higher rated guy going into the season. I'd be torn on that one. If Mudiay slips down Sacramento will definitely take him though. I could really see Orlando taking WCS. That's kind of 50/50 though. That's the pick that really changes the draft I think. Them and NY are the ones that could go in a few different directions.

Aussie Dunker
06-11-2015, 07:48 PM
We basically need NY to select anyone but Mudiay and Winslow, because that means Sac would almost be locked into taking Mudiay him there, and I think Orl has WCS and Porzingas above winslow on their draft sheet.

dd24
06-11-2015, 09:33 PM
We basically need NY to select anyone but Mudiay and Winslow, because that means Sac would almost be locked into taking Mudiay him there, and I think Orl has WCS and Porzingas above winslow on their draft sheet.
Exactly.

Aussie Dunker
06-11-2015, 09:50 PM
haha, so again it comes down to the ol Winslow / Hezonja / Johnson debate. We need to tab one of those as the SF of the future for us, with #8 that would be the goal. Hezonja is 6'8, but people see him more as a 2-guard. Surely he can play the 3 at NBA level??...

dd24
06-12-2015, 03:48 AM
haha, so again it comes down to the ol Winslow / Hezonja / Johnson debate. We need to tab one of those as the SF of the future for us, with #8 that would be the goal. Hezonja is 6'8, but people see him more as a 2-guard. Surely he can play the 3 at NBA level??...
The kid is like 12. He will for sure put on at least 20 pounds. He's not a SG. When was the last time anyone saw a SG at that height in the NBA? They tried to do it with Daye.... he got killed. Certainly the Pistons will not make the same mistake. The tallest you can be to play SG in the NBA is 6'7". That is rare too. It's one of the things that made Rip so special in the back court with Chauncey. We had the best back court in the NBA, before the trend was to have the best back court to win ships lol.....

Aussie Dunker
06-12-2015, 09:12 AM
I'd be fine with selecting Booker if we didn't have a huge gaping hole at SF as well as being thin at PF when Moose leaves. And if SVG plans on playing Jennings and Reggie at the same time then we potentially have KCP / Meeks / Reggie taking minutes at the 2. KCP is capable of playing the 3 in stretches against some of the small ball lineups, but still, it's the position we need the least right now..

dd24
06-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Something tells me the Pistons are looking at Porzingas, Hezonja, Johnson, and Winslow in that order if they select 8th. Then I think there's a group of B players if the trade down.

Aussie Dunker
06-12-2015, 06:51 PM
Very unlikely Porzingas makes it to #8, but I know you know that ^ I agree SVG probably has him at the top of our big board,

Winslow seems like he could be the unlucky one who slides due to a surprise in the top 7 (I get a feeling we might see Kaminsky be the Cody Zeller of the draft and go higher than anyone expects)...

I doubt anyone grabs Stanley top 7. Just watching more tape of this guy, damn he is explosive. Has a great first step, very powerful on the drive / aggressive.

Both winslow and Stanley project as legit two way players, and the players they pattern their games on are the Kawhi and Butlers of the world - perfect.

If we were to draft either Winslow or Stanley, they should get HUGE minutes as a rookie, i'm talking 28+ at SF due to us pretty much having no other options there (I hope Quincy becomes a legit option!), and would be a huge chance to win rookie of the year

dd24
06-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Yeah, super doubtful Porzingas is anywhere around. And yes whatever SF they draft will definitely be seeing a lot of PT right away. Although the Pistons just put another video on their website today of Miller's offseason workouts. They're really hyping him up. I'm starting to think he's a pretty big part of their plans.

Aussie Dunker
06-12-2015, 07:22 PM
I hope so man ^ he looked like a man among boys at the Dleague showcase,

Would be happy to give him 15 minutes per game in the rotation for the first 10 or so games to see if he can truly make some noise, but yeah the SF position for us is going to be full of youth thats for sure.

dd24
06-13-2015, 03:19 PM
After Porzingas workout yesterday for everyone there's no way he falls to us. Many are saying he's the best player in the draft now, even over Okafur and Towns. It's really sounding like the Pistons will end up with Johnson.

Nastradamus
06-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Not really seeing Johnson as a possibility. Winslow or Hezonja most likely, one will be there. Its almost assured to go, IMO

Towns
Okafor
Russell
Mudiay
Porzingis
WCS
Hezonja or Winslow

dd24
06-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Winslow has been rated higher than Johnson on most boards for some reason. I think Porzingas stock has been raised too. I could see him going as high as 3 or 4. It also seems doubtful that Hezonja doesn't go in the top 7. If someone drafts WCS in the top 7 that really helps us out though.

Aussie Dunker
06-13-2015, 08:22 PM
If someone drafts WCS in the top 7 I think Hezonja will be ours if we want him (Denver super high on him but I doubt they let Winslow slip past them)

Porzingas is getting a LOT of buzz for a potential top 4 selection. Wouldn't surprise me to see Knicks trade down from #4, Pistons package Jennings + #8 for #4?...

There is always a surprise in the top 8 picks, I can see a team reaching on a Kaminsky / Payne / Turner / Booker, just hope it's not us!! lol.

Stanley Johnson appears to have pretty good handles and lateral quickness after watching his workout video. His shooting stroke is not the prettiest however, but neither is Winslow's. I expect Johnson to be a better outside shooter than Winslow in the NBA - but both quite a ways behind Hezonja in that area.

dd24
06-13-2015, 08:32 PM
I like that idea. Jennings + #8 for the #4 pick. It actually makes a lot of sense for both teams. Although I'm not sure what Phil Jackson would think of Jennings in the triangle.

Aussie Dunker
06-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Well he can shoot? lol, Jennings seems like a NY kinda guy...

With #4 we would obviously target Porzingas I would have thought (watching his workout his jumpshot is more of a weapon than I first thought, really sound mechanics).

I still think at #8 we have a 45% chance of Stanley, a 35% chance of Hezonja, a 10% chance of Winslow and a 10% chance of someone else...

el gringos
06-14-2015, 01:51 AM
I don't think anyone from a Knicks perspective would go 4 for 8 and Jennings. Even if Calderon (considered bad contract after the worst season of his career)

I do think there will be trades in the top 5, so there's still so much up in the air. I liked the previous list of surprise possibilities in the top 8, but I do think there is a clear top 8. I think the most likely bpa at 8 will be Mario or Winslow, with an outside chance of WCS or even mudiay.

el gringos
06-14-2015, 01:58 AM
The kid is like 12. He will for sure put on at least 20 pounds. He's not a SG. When was the last time anyone saw a SG at that height in the NBA? They tried to do it with Daye.... he got killed. Certainly the Pistons will not make the same mistake. The tallest you can be to play SG in the NBA is 6'7". That is rare too. It's one of the things that made Rip so special in the back court with Chauncey. We had the best back court in the NBA, before the trend was to have the best back court to win ships lol.....
You mean besides for Joe Johnson? Austin daye is not a good example because his highest ceiling was as a stretch 4. Played post positions exclusively in college and just never filled out. All 3 of your possible sf picks highest nba ceilings might be at the sg spot.

I also don't think trading for illyasova is reason enough to let Monroe walk. Don't think they're bringing him in thinking starter. He's a good guy for a 3rd big because he could play w either of your bigs.

Aussie Dunker
06-14-2015, 05:08 AM
I do think there will be trades in the top 5, so there's still so much up in the air. I liked the previous list of surprise possibilities in the top 8, but I do think there is a clear top 8. I think the most likely bpa at 8 will be Mario or Winslow, with an outside chance of WCS or even mudiay.

Just curious as to who your clear top 8 are - I'm assuming Jahlil / Towns / Russell / Porzingas / Mudiay / Winslow / Mario are 7 of them, and are you going with WCS or Johnson as the 8th?... WCS is tabbed to go anywhere from 4 till 13 so it's hard to gauge him. I slightly differ from you and believe there is a clear cut top 9, including WCS and Johnson to that list of 7.

The two players the Pistons need the least in that group, in my opinion, is WCS and Mudiay,

I think Mario and Justise could both end up playing SG, even though Mario has good length for a SF and i'd personally play him there the way the league is currently shaped. Justise is long and active and he will start his career playing SF so I guess he will be monitored from a positional standpoint. But I truly believe Stanley will be a long term SF, out of the 3 he is suited to the 3 the most.

Nastradamus
06-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Just curious as to who your clear top 8 are - I'm assuming Jahlil / Towns / Russell / Porzingas / Mudiay / Winslow / Mario are 7 of them, and are you going with WCS or Johnson as the 8th?... WCS is tabbed to go anywhere from 4 till 13 so it's hard to gauge him. I slightly differ from you and believe there is a clear cut top 9, including WCS and Johnson to that list of 7.

The two players the Pistons need the least in that group, in my opinion, is WCS and Mudiay,

I think Mario and Justise could both end up playing SG, even though Mario has good length for a SF and i'd personally play him there the way the league is currently shaped. Justise is long and active and he will start his career playing SF so I guess he will be monitored from a positional standpoint. But I truly believe Stanley will be a long term SF, out of the 3 he is suited to the 3 the most.

I assume he's talking WCS

el gringos
06-14-2015, 02:26 PM
I was talking WCS as definitly in top 7. I'm close to thinking you're right that Johnson is in a clear top 9. I guess that's the hardest part to sort out is the sf's and sg's- if one of them is head and shoulders above the rest it will prob be Mario or Winslow, so ion by default it puts Johnson 3rd but I don't see as big of gap as most see between those 3 and booker/looney/dekker.

I would think the best thing that could happen for Detroit is for sac or Denver to take Payne or lyles. (Haven't read though your whole thread- is lyles in consideration in your opinion?)

dd24
06-14-2015, 05:09 PM
The other option that we discussed is if Mudiay slides to Sacramento. They definitely would draft him.

Aussie Dunker
06-14-2015, 08:27 PM
i'd say the 5 of Towns / Okafor / russell / prozingas / Mudiay are all locked into the top 6,

Then Winslow / WCS as the other the other person to be in the top 6,

Leaving one Winslow/WCS, Hezonja, Stanley to be available at 7,

I'm not sure what Denver's draft board looks like, but I do know they are in love with Hezonja and are also reportedly high on WCS. Winslow worked out for them but he under performed during that workout.

I have a feeling we could be deciding between Winslow and Stanley at #8. People would consider us getting Winslow at #8 an absolute STEAL, getting Stanley at #8 would be considered a good pick, but not a steal.

hrmm

ZMonkey11
06-15-2015, 04:14 PM
:wtf:
I like that idea. Jennings + #8 for the #4 pick. It actually makes a lot of sense for both teams. Although I'm not sure what Phil Jackson would think of Jennings in the triangle.

Dear god please yes. I want to see Jennings and Melo together as badly as I would have liked to see a more prime Kobe and Jennings together. All those 3 point shots Melo does to his head will be symbols of frustration at Jennings.

dd24
06-15-2015, 04:44 PM
Right now I think the Knicks just need to accumulate as much talent as they can get. They're especially weak at PG, and have been for years now.

dd24
06-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Winslow actually worked out for Detroit today.
http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2015/6/16/8789079/justise-winslow-detroit-pistons

dd24
06-16-2015, 07:18 PM
There's a rumor the Lakers might be interested in Jennings.

Aussie Dunker
06-16-2015, 08:02 PM
Any kind of idea what we would get in return??

Perhaps Ed Davis / Jordan Hill + 2nd first round pick (#27) for Jennings makes some sense.

We get a backup big man for Dre, and then can take a flier on whichever top 20 prospect falls to 27 (thinking someone like Looney / Oubre / Hollis-jefferson)

Nastradamus
06-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Only thing I could see is trading him for Hill who has a team option. Then we just opt out and clear the cap space.

dd24
06-16-2015, 10:14 PM
I don't think Oubre or Looney are going to fall to 27. The late first round doesn't really look that good so those guys aren't going to slip. But yes, I do think it would involve their other picks. They do want to trade those and try to get veterans. Hill has a decent size contract. I'm not sure Detroit would want it. Plus I'm not sure Hill wants to go somewhere he isn't starting necessarily, unless it's a contender. He's streaky, but good enough he should be a starter somewhere.

Aussie Dunker
06-16-2015, 10:31 PM
I think i'd prefer Ed Davis anyway ^^ Just a bit better of a rim protector and actually can shoot the midrange a bit, and contract wise will cost us a lot less...

Yeah I don't think Oubre or Looney will fall, but there is usually a prospect similar to those guys that always falls 10 spots lower than anticipated, at #27 we would be in a good position to pick up the top 20 crumbs i'd say...

dd24
06-16-2015, 10:34 PM
I think Davis is part of the Lakers plans. They might give him up for Jennings, but I would have to think that might be a sticking point if they were trying to make a trade.

Aussie Dunker
06-16-2015, 10:40 PM
On another note - after watching Winslow's Denver workout, and his interviews, I am really quite down on him as a prospect. Ofcourse he is still one of the better options this draft has to offer, but I think I would rather both Hezonja and Stanley above him now, as weird as that might sound. He has long been considered a top 5 pick but I think his stock is dropping.

But let's be honest, if Winslow was to fall to #8 it would be considered a HUGE steal by everyone...

I'm just worried about that jumpshot,

dd24
06-17-2015, 01:05 AM
I'm worried about him in general in this league.

Aussie Dunker
06-17-2015, 01:22 AM
I think I see more Tony Allen in him than Jimmy Butler,

dd24
06-17-2015, 01:33 AM
That's a great find if it's a late 1st round or early 2nd round pick. Not in the lottery though. I'd pass if all he was going to be was Tony Allen.

Aussie Dunker
06-17-2015, 01:40 AM
I would assume he has a lot more potential than Tony Allen, he actually does have a fairly strong drive to the basket game. I also see a bit of Lance Stephenson in him, I think he can be a bit of a swiss army knife.

dd24
06-17-2015, 02:50 AM
I'm so glad we didn't sign Lance Stephenson like all of you guys who wanted to over pay him did. I think it's a good trade for the Clippers because they gave up nothing. Plus they have a more talented roster that can have somebody be a bust and still have a chance. Our team doesn't have that. We need to have a very good wing player to have a decent chance of making some noise.

Nastradamus
06-17-2015, 11:15 AM
I don't think Oubre or Looney are going to fall to 27. The late first round doesn't really look that good so those guys aren't going to slip. But yes, I do think it would involve their other picks. They do want to trade those and try to get veterans. Hill has a decent size contract. I'm not sure Detroit would want it. Plus I'm not sure Hill wants to go somewhere he isn't starting necessarily, unless it's a contender. He's streaky, but good enough he should be a starter somewhere.

We would just waive him to get out of his deal. No pick most likely. Maybe their high 2nd.

dd24
06-17-2015, 11:53 AM
We would just waive him to get out of his deal. No pick most likely. Maybe their high 2nd.
You can't just waive a guaranteed contract though.

Nastradamus
06-17-2015, 12:42 PM
You can't just waive a guaranteed contract though.

I mentioned above that he has a team option

Nastradamus
06-17-2015, 12:43 PM
I think I see more Tony Allen in him than Jimmy Butler,

I get that. I've compared him to MKG. That's a steal at 8 though.

dd24
06-17-2015, 03:06 PM
I mentioned above that he has a team option
But in order to trade him you would need his rights which would mean picking up that option right?

Aussie Dunker
06-17-2015, 07:16 PM
I get that. I've compared him to MKG. That's a steal at 8 though.

Yeah that is a good comparison,

I was going to also say he reminded me a little bit of Iggy. Iggy is probably more of a high end athlete and has a superior handle, but he too had a broken jump shot for the first 6 or so years of his career and is a undersized SF that gets by with his length and motor.

Nastradamus
06-17-2015, 09:16 PM
But in order to trade him you would need his rights which would mean picking up that option right?

No, we just did it with Butler

Aussie Dunker
06-18-2015, 07:30 PM
In the latest Mock Draft on NBA.com - they have the Pistons taking WCS with #8... Am I the only one that thinks this makes NO sense what so ever? Sure he is a great to elite defender at the next level, but a defensive C is the position we least need, is it not? We have too many holes in other positions to be able to afford the luxury of selecting a high end back up C. And Dre + WCS on the court at the same time would work on D, but would be a nightmare on O. I also highly doubt WCS wants to come into the league behind a franchise C like Dre, i'm sure he would seek to join a team to become a starting C...

We really need Orl, Sac or Den to take him. If Mudiay is off the board by #6 - I think Kings would jump at WCS, I can't think of a better prospect to pair along side Cousins in the frontcourt. They would compliment each other so well, WCS wouldn't take any shots away from Boogie (which he would love) and would add an elite defender / rim protector...

Best result for us would be:
Min - KAT
Lak - Okafor
Phi - Russell
NY - Mudiay
Orl - Porzingas

Then Sac, in my opinion, would take WCS because they already have Mclemore and Stauskus, two top 10 wing picks from the last 2 years, aswell as Gay...

Leaving Den with the choice between Hezonja and Winslow, allowing Pistons the luxury of not having to choose between the two, rather taking the left over prospect.

Basically we should avoid WCS! ha

Nastradamus
06-19-2015, 11:32 AM
I think at this point our board has to be

1a. Winslow
1b. Hezonja
2. Turner
3. Trade someone WCS for a solid haul

insidehoops
06-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Pistons draft workouts

The Detroit Pistons went efficiency shopping Wednesday. They worked out six prospects for their No. 38 second-round pick in next week's NBA draft, including power forwards Aaron White of Iowa, one of the nation's most efficient college players, and potential value dropper Jonathan Holmes of Texas. White figures to be available to the Pistons in the second round, and as they seek a roster filler, a combination forward of his remarkable efficiency could fit several needs.

-- Michigan Live

dd24
06-19-2015, 04:28 PM
This draft lacks depth in the late first round and 2nd round. I'd be very surprised if anyone comes out of the late picks as a good player.

Aussie Dunker
06-19-2015, 06:55 PM
I think at this point our board has to be

1a. Winslow
1b. Hezonja
2. Turner
3. Trade someone WCS for a solid haul

You like Turner hey? You think he can play the PF position next to Dre? I am very intrigued by him I must admit...

And you don't think Stanley would be a worthwhile selection if Winslow / Hezonja are off the table? I have been fairly high on Stanley lately, just wondering what you see in him that might not warrant him a top 10 selection?

Say Orl select Winslow #5, you think they would consider Harris for WCS if we were to take him with #8 considering they would have a high potential young wing in Winslow to take that position?.... Orl adding perhaps the 2 best defensive players in this draft to Payton / Oladipo / Gordon... Would have such a young explosive defensive unit, but pretty much zero shooting... I personally think Hezonja makes more sense for Orl......

Aussie Dunker
06-19-2015, 07:22 PM
This draft lacks depth in the late first round and 2nd round. I'd be very surprised if anyone comes out of the late picks as a good player.

There are always a few surprises in the late 1st round and 2nd round each year, not necessarily huge impact players, but solid rotation players, I bet no one had much expectation for say the following to be anything more than a fringe player (like most late 1st and 2nd rounders), who have all within a year or two become starting players in this league. I am sure there are 4 or 5 players that could turn out to be effective role players for us with our 2nd round pick, but it will involve savvy scouting by our front office as well as a lot of luck. But I agree chances are we draft another Terrico White or Peyton Siva, good thing about 2nd rounders they are extremely low risk with low expectations so we can't go too wrong with that pick:

#27 Gobert (Could be a multiple DPOY)
#30 J.Butler (Max player)
#35 Draymond Green (Max player 3 years after going #35.......)
#38 Parsons (Solid 3rd/4th option)
#39 Middleton (pis#ses me off that we made a great pick here then traded him grrr I remember being angry we missed Q.Miller by 1 pick)
#40 Stephenson (say what you want, this is a steal at #40)
#46 Danny Green (high level specialist at #46,

dd24
06-19-2015, 07:27 PM
But those were drafts where we expected a few 2nd rounders to be decent. I'm saying this one looks bad.

Aussie Dunker
06-19-2015, 07:45 PM
I think every 2nd round draft looks bad lol...

dd24
06-19-2015, 07:57 PM
There's usually at least a few guys I like that I think are worth the gamble. This year I'm not really seeing it.

Nastradamus
06-20-2015, 12:39 AM
You like Turner hey? You think he can play the PF position next to Dre? I am very intrigued by him I must admit...

And you don't think Stanley would be a worthwhile selection if Winslow / Hezonja are off the table? I have been fairly high on Stanley lately, just wondering what you see in him that might not warrant him a top 10 selection?

Say Orl select Winslow #5, you think they would consider Harris for WCS if we were to take him with #8 considering they would have a high potential young wing in Winslow to take that position?.... Orl adding perhaps the 2 best defensive players in this draft to Payton / Oladipo / Gordon... Would have such a young explosive defensive unit, but pretty much zero shooting... I personally think Hezonja makes more sense for Orl......

Harris is a restricted FA so that would have to happen down the line and Harris would have to want to sign here.

Johnson's a solid player, but I don't buy him as a shooter. He shot 29% from 3 i conference play and needs a lot of space and time to get his shot off. He's tough and a versatile defender, but I simply think we can do better at 8.

I'm a big Turner fan. He was the #2 rated player in the country coming in to college and its widely thought that Barnes misused him at Texas. He's 7 feet tall, looked great shooting the ball in workouts, protects the rim and is a strong athlete. Has some post game too. Who knows what he becomes, but its hard to question his very high ceiling. That's tough to pass at #8 in any draft, much like Drummond when we took him.

If we trade down, I'd bet on OKC or Boston. They both could offer a few different interesting packages.

Aussie Dunker
06-20-2015, 01:27 AM
Turner's been compared anywhere from LaFrentez to Aldridge. I love how he is a defensive stopper, true 7 footer, whilst having a feathery touch from all 3 levels on offense.He has seemed to slip down on most draft boards over the past few weeks though for some reason... I think he could take a little longer than the other bigs in the lottery to develop but it's hard to imagine any other bigs having a higher max ceiling than him considering his combo of O + D + Size...

What kind of deals could you potentially see happening with OKC (#14) and BOS (#16)? I always though Perry Jones slipped down way too far in the draft and is underused, he was always going to take some time to develop... Wouldn't mind including him in a potential trade down...

Nastradamus
06-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Turner's been compared anywhere from LaFrentez to Aldridge. I love how he is a defensive stopper, true 7 footer, whilst having a feathery touch from all 3 levels on offense.He has seemed to slip down on most draft boards over the past few weeks though for some reason... I think he could take a little longer than the other bigs in the lottery to develop but it's hard to imagine any other bigs having a higher max ceiling than him considering his combo of O + D + Size...

What kind of deals could you potentially see happening with OKC (#14) and BOS (#16)? I always though Perry Jones slipped down way too far in the draft and is underused, he was always going to take some time to develop... Wouldn't mind including him in a potential trade down...

I don't see Jones as much of a fit here. Lamb intrigues me, so does Roberson. Then after that you're talking future 1sts.

Boston might give you 16,27 and 33. They also have a ton of future firsts and a few young guys like Zeller and James Young. Sullinger and 16 might get both sides talking too.

Aussie Dunker
06-20-2015, 08:06 PM
I just saw an article that says the Celtics are trying to trade up to select Myles Turner...

Would we bite on #16 + Sullinger for #8?... Sully could give us a few interesting looks especially playing the C when Dre needs a spell...

And then who would we look to target at #16?... Oubre / Dekker perhaps?

el gringos
06-21-2015, 05:34 AM
You won't get "stuck" with WCS. And even if you did it wouldn't be terrible. He will be better at defending pf's than C's. Sure, offensively it's not ideal, but you could build around those 2 somehowe. Myles turner won't be able to guard pf's, so even though his shot is more proven it's not like you could pair Drummond and Myles together.

Nastradamus
06-21-2015, 02:02 PM
i don't know that Myles would be a great defensive PF,but he could do it better than Monroe and similar to LMA

dd24
06-21-2015, 03:40 PM
No way I'd do that deal. Sullinger is ok but definitely not a backup C and not worth a lottery pick.

Aussie Dunker
06-21-2015, 07:17 PM
^^ Yeah but I have seen some mocks with us taking Dekker at #8, I honestly think he or Oubre would be available at #16 (atleast one of them should be).. If we are high on Dekker's tool-set or high on Oubre's potential, then it would almost be like getting Sullinger for free, almost...

I would be pretty annoyed if we choose Dekker instead of say, Stanley Johnson, but some people are really high on Dekker...

And pairing WCS alongside Dre, especially with Reggie running the show, would just leave us with such a lack of shooting / scoring. Reggie and Dre showed us last year how dominant they could be with shooters at the 2,3 and 4 (Tolliver)...

If we were stacked at all positions, then I would be keen on taking WCS because he seems like he could be a game changer on D, but we just don't have the luxury, we need to fill some big holes this draft, starting SF / deep shooting / backup C (almost guarantee our 2nd rounder will be used on a backup for Dre)...

Aussie Dunker
06-21-2015, 07:30 PM
But overall I agree ^^ It would need to be a pretty awesome return to give up #8, as we are looking for someone with all-star potential,

Winslow / Hezonja / Stanley Johnson are all more highly touted than Leonard / Klay / Butler were at this stage, anything is possible... Just need to take the right guy

Nastradamus
06-21-2015, 11:23 PM
^^ Yeah but I have seen some mocks with us taking Dekker at #8, I honestly think he or Oubre would be available at #16 (atleast one of them should be).. If we are high on Dekker's tool-set or high on Oubre's potential, then it would almost be like getting Sullinger for free, almost...

I would be pretty annoyed if we choose Dekker instead of say, Stanley Johnson, but some people are really high on Dekker...

And pairing WCS alongside Dre, especially with Reggie running the show, would just leave us with such a lack of shooting / scoring. Reggie and Dre showed us last year how dominant they could be with shooters at the 2,3 and 4 (Tolliver)...

If we were stacked at all positions, then I would be keen on taking WCS because he seems like he could be a game changer on D, but we just don't have the luxury, we need to fill some big holes this draft, starting SF / deep shooting / backup C (almost guarantee our 2nd rounder will be used on a backup for Dre)...

in terms of WCS, I'd argue we don't have the luxury to NOT take him. A team like us should always go best player available.Now, if there's another player who's a better fit and graded similarly, so be it, but we can only put so much emphasis on need right now.

Nastradamus
06-21-2015, 11:26 PM
I just saw an article that says the Celtics are trying to trade up to select Myles Turner...

Would we bite on #16 + Sullinger for #8?... Sully could give us a few interesting looks especially playing the C when Dre needs a spell...

And then who would we look to target at #16?... Oubre / Dekker perhaps?

Sullinger and Ilyasova would be a pretty good PF combo for the short term. Not much D, but good shooting and rebounding. They have like 4 second rounders, so I definitely squeeze them to throw in one of those at the least. It would depends who's there at 8 too.

el gringos
06-22-2015, 01:53 AM
Kevon Looney is a stud sf in the NBA. He and dekker will both be better than Johnson and Winslow if those guys can't make the transition to nba 2guard. Hollis Jefferson should also be looked at as a SG who might not be able to play the position offensively. Kaminsky is also a guy that should be considered

Aussie Dunker
06-22-2015, 02:25 AM
in terms of WCS, I'd argue we don't have the luxury to NOT take him. A team like us should always go best player available.Now, if there's another player who's a better fit and graded similarly, so be it, but we can only put so much emphasis on need right now.

I hear you - I get where you are coming from and tend to agree. But I would have thought Hezonja and Winslow would be on the same tier as WCS, with the added bonus of being a much better fit?....

I still hold firm that at #8 we will get one of those two guys,

Hezonja should be able to develop into a modern day SF with his athletic tools and 6'8 length, he is probably my best case scenario pic for us this draft...

And if we trade down and get Dekker at #16 along with considerably compensation, I wouldn't be too bummed either, I think he will transition well in the NBA.

Looney - I would take a shot at him in the early to mid 20's, wouldnt touch him in the top 20...

Nastradamus
06-22-2015, 11:25 AM
I hear you - I get where you are coming from and tend to agree. But I would have thought Hezonja and Winslow would be on the same tier as WCS, with the added bonus of being a much better fit?....

I still hold firm that at #8 we will get one of those two guys,

Hezonja should be able to develop into a modern day SF with his athletic tools and 6'8 length, he is probably my best case scenario pic for us this draft...

And if we trade down and get Dekker at #16 along with considerably compensation, I wouldn't be too bummed either, I think he will transition well in the NBA.

Looney - I would take a shot at him in the early to mid 20's, wouldnt touch him in the top 20...

Yup, I have those two on the same tier. If they go to Sac and Denver, it will come down to whether we put Turner on the same tier or not IMO.

dd24
06-22-2015, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE]If you

Aussie Dunker
06-22-2015, 06:48 PM
I don't hate it... But I don't love it either.

KCP / Meeks / Hardaway

We would be stacked at the 2 with high end rotation / low level starter talent.

But one would have to think that either KCP or Hardaway will develop into a solid starting option career wise, both young, hungry, can shoot and are aggressive.

I see hardaway more in the J.R Smith / Jamal Crawford / mavs Jason Terry kind of mold. Elite 6th man who brings deep shooting, aggression, and energy.

In a perfect world I would make this trade and then look to move Meeks, KCP / Haraway covering minutes at the two will allow them to develop and be hungry for minutes against one another...

dd24
06-22-2015, 06:53 PM
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless SVG plans on playing a ton of small ball.

Aussie Dunker
06-22-2015, 07:25 PM
6'6" and 210 pounds, and just turned 23.

I think he has boatloads of talent to be honest, especially with the deep shot. Just has been stuck in basketball jail with the Knicks since being drafted.

The kid has talent, I would have thought this would be a good return for Jennings.. However positional wise it doesn't really work out considering the development of KCP and acquisition of a strong backup in Meeks.

dd24
06-22-2015, 08:02 PM
He doesn't play any defense either. I don't mind him, but it just doesn't seem like he fits a need. We'd be better off with Jennings.

Aussie Dunker
06-22-2015, 08:30 PM
This would be a no brainer if we didn't have Meeks...

But yeah havng 3 x pure SG's who will all demand time is not ideal.

Would be better of doing a Jennings for Gallinari deal, giving Den a PG when they split ways with Lawson...

Between Galli and Ilyasova, they are both pretty much combo F's who can play either position and both very deadly from beyond the arc. Galli is also quite a solid ball handler / distributor,

Galli seems like the new age PF, at 6'10" and 230 pounds, with being a legit knockdown 3pt threat... And just turned 26 so should have his prime 5 years ahead of him...

Ilyasova I really like, but imagine him in that Tolliver role last year, backing up both F positions and getting starter like minutes...

Dre / Christmas
Galli / Ilyasova
Hezonja / Q,Miller
KCP / Meeks
Reggie / Dinwiddie

Give that team a couple of years to Gel under SVG, a couple of those players to take the next step, and some luck - and we could be looking at a very competitive unit! A very young team overall with plenty of time to develop together...

el gringos
06-23-2015, 02:14 AM
This would be a no brainer if we didn't have Meeks...

But yeah havng 3 x pure SG's who will all demand time is not ideal.

Would be better of doing a Jennings for Gallinari deal, giving Den a PG when they split ways with Lawson...

Between Galli and Ilyasova, they are both pretty much combo F's who can play either position and both very deadly from beyond the arc. Galli is also quite a solid ball handler / distributor,

Galli seems like the new age PF, at 6'10" and 230 pounds, with being a legit knockdown 3pt threat... And just turned 26 so should have his prime 5 years ahead of him...

Ilyasova I really like, but imagine him in that Tolliver role last year, backing up both F positions and getting starter like minutes...

Dre / Christmas
Galli / Ilyasova
Hezonja / Q,Miller
KCP / Meeks
Reggie / Dinwiddie

Give that team a couple of years to Gel under SVG, a couple of those players to take the next step, and some luck - and we could be looking at a very competitive unit! A very young team overall with plenty of time to develop together...
Nuggets aren't trading their best player for Jennings. Gallinari is the guy the nugs are keeping even if they do a fire sale. Gallinari and nurkic are the core- they are wanting to deal Lawson and faried

I think a Knicks trade #4 trade is possible. But it would have to be a great haul. That's why they'll talk w sac, Denver, Orlando, and Detroit. Maybe one of those teams goes big

ZMonkey11
06-23-2015, 04:42 AM
Nuggets aren't trading their best player for Jennings. Gallinari is the guy the nugs are keeping even if they do a fire sale. Gallinari and nurkic are the core- they are wanting to deal Lawson and faried

I think a Knicks trade #4 trade is possible. But it would have to be a great haul. That's why they'll talk w sac, Denver, Orlando, and Detroit. Maybe one of those teams goes big

Sorry to nitpick and maybe there is some meaning behind it, but shouldn't your name be los gringos.

Otherwise.... Why would we pick up Galli? We would end up having no defense. Does no one on this Detroit board want a defensive minded team at all? It's not like Drummond is a superstud backstop. He still doesn't have tremendous basketball iq and gets into foul trouble.

Each of the Detroit great teams were known for the D. We gave other teams the D hard. Now we are going in with lilp noodles.

Nastradamus
06-23-2015, 10:55 AM
The Knicks aren't giving up a cheap young player for an injured 9 mil a year PG.
Nobody is trading for Jennings as anything but an expiring contract.

I don't want Hardaway for what its worth

Offiicially hoping for Turner Thursday. Winslow or Hezonja will make me happy as well. Anything else(Dekker,Booker,Johnson,Kaminsky) will feel like a reach to me if its not a trade down.

Nastradamus
06-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Sorry to nitpick and maybe there is some meaning behind it, but shouldn't your name be los gringos.

Otherwise.... Why would we pick up Galli? We would end up having no defense. Does no one on this Detroit board want a defensive minded team at all? It's not like Drummond is a superstud backstop. He still doesn't have tremendous basketball iq and gets into foul trouble.

Each of the Detroit great teams were known for the D. We gave other teams the D hard. Now we are going in with lilp noodles.

Here's my thoughts on that subject.

1. Not a huge Gallo fan. He's being overrated a bit here. He shoots 3s and not a whole lot else. Doesn't rebound,pass or defend. He's more than a spot up shooter though and will help your offense.

2. I believe Drummond can become a special defensive player

3. SVG has a pretty strong defensive track record without always having great defensive players, other than Dwight. I believe in him enough to let him impplement his systems and see if they can get results.

dd24
06-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Now there's Dwayne Wade to the Pistons rumors.... Wade is probably trying to use a few teams to get some leverage in Miami.

ZMonkey11
06-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Here's my thoughts on that subject.

1. Not a huge Gallo fan. He's being overrated a bit here. He shoots 3s and not a whole lot else. Doesn't rebound,pass or defend. He's more than a spot up shooter though and will help your offense.

2. I believe Drummond can become a special defensive player

3. SVG has a pretty strong defensive track record without always having great defensive players, other than Dwight. I believe in him enough to let him impplement his systems and see if they can get results.

Great track record, no chips. You can argue he got one stolen from him in miami, but still no chips.

I want a championship, not a good team. We win chips in Detroit.

ZMonkey11
06-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Now there's Dwayne Wade to the Pistons rumors.... Wade is probably trying to use a few teams to get some leverage in Miami.

Please God no. Last thing we need is DWade's attitude rubbing off on our young players.

Aussie Dunker
06-23-2015, 07:36 PM
The Knicks aren't giving up a cheap young player for an injured 9 mil a year PG.
Nobody is trading for Jennings as anything but an expiring contract.

I don't want Hardaway for what its worth

Offiicially hoping for Turner Thursday. Winslow or Hezonja will make me happy as well. Anything else(Dekker,Booker,Johnson,Kaminsky) will feel like a reach to me if its not a trade down.

I think the majority of people would think Turner is a stretch at #8, most mocks I see him going #12 - #15 range,

You must clearly see something special in him, I think I do too. I guess I just feel like he is almost, like a boom or bust player, almost... Huge potential and huge ceiling, I just think we could trade down to say #12 and get more assets and select him.

I have seen Mudiay slipping to the Pistons in a mock just this morning, meaning we would not need to near max Reggie, and can dedicate all those funds to say a Butler... Thoughts on this? (I have not once considered Mudiay at #8, purely because he was ALWAYS a top 4 lock)...

Aussie Dunker
06-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Great track record, no chips. You can argue he got one stolen from him in miami, but still no chips.

I want a championship, not a good team. We win chips in Detroit.

Come on man, 10 of the past 16 chips have gone to Pop / Phil,

He deserves half a chip for that Miami Shaq / Wade title,

He got Magic to the finals by upsetting the heavily favored Lebron Cavs team,

I think his track record or ability to take a team to the highest level should not be questioned. No he isn't Pop, he isn't Phil, but he deserves to be on that next tier of guys who are capable of creating champion level teams...

dd24
06-23-2015, 08:12 PM
I think the majority of people would think Turner is a stretch at #8, most mocks I see him going #12 - #15 range,

You must clearly see something special in him, I think I do too. I guess I just feel like he is almost, like a boom or bust player, almost... Huge potential and huge ceiling, I just think we could trade down to say #12 and get more assets and select him.

I have seen Mudiay slipping to the Pistons in a mock just this morning, meaning we would not need to near max Reggie, and can dedicate all those funds to say a Butler... Thoughts on this? (I have not once considered Mudiay at #8, purely because he was ALWAYS a top 4 lock)...
If Mudiay slipped to #8 there's no way we could pass on him. That would be crazy though. I really don't see it happening.

Aussie Dunker
06-23-2015, 08:19 PM
^^ Yeah me either, but I would have thought he has more chance sliding to 8 than Dre sliding to 9?!@#$? haha, the draft day really can be quite crazy so who knows...

Say Mudiay does slip to 8, we clearly just don't resign Reggie.... Right?

ZMonkey11
06-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Come on man, 10 of the past 16 chips have gone to Pop / Phil,

He deserves half a chip for that Miami Shaq / Wade title,

He got Magic to the finals by upsetting the heavily favored Lebron Cavs team,

I think his track record or ability to take a team to the highest level should not be questioned. No he isn't Pop, he isn't Phil, but he deserves to be on that next tier of guys who are capable of creating champion level teams...

I already said you can argue the chip in miami. I kinda led with that. But besides the one run to the finals with Orlando, he's fielded good teams. Heavily favored Cleveland as in the were led by Lebron and mo will?

And in Orlando, didn't they have a haus of a defensive player in mikael pietrus (sp?). We are becoming a team that shoots 3s and nothing else. It's going to be a lil difficult to build a ****ing wall when moose walks and is replaced by a bigger liability on the defensive end in ilyasova.

This team isn't close to what he had in Orlando. That Orlando team would shit on us. We got three point shooters, give me some ****ing defense.

ZMonkey11
06-23-2015, 08:29 PM
BTW reread it, I'm not attacking you Aussie. I'm just really angry again at the moves we are making. It hasn't been a good off season for us in a long time.

Aussie Dunker
06-23-2015, 08:39 PM
^^ It's all good mate we are all just passionate, all on the same side here,

You think Moose is a better defender than Ilyasova?....... hrmmm...

Orlando was a lot more developed than us, they had a lot more experience, we are still really young and raw.

- Dre has the potential to become a special defender in this league
- KCP has the potential to become one of the better stopper guards in this league,
- Reggie is a big guard that causes problems for opponents PG's,
- If we draft Winslow / Stanley then that is another defensive specialist wing we add.

Combine all that with SVG's dedication to team defense, I think we are going to be fine.

p.s the only reason I say the Cavs were heavily favored is because Vegas had their odds ridiculously low, not many people thought Orl could knock them of... I personally wasn't all that surprised.

dd24
06-23-2015, 08:40 PM
^^ Yeah me either, but I would have thought he has more chance sliding to 8 than Dre sliding to 9?!@#$? haha, the draft day really can be quite crazy so who knows...

Say Mudiay does slip to 8, we clearly just don't resign Reggie.... Right?
I would think they would spend that money elsewhere, although I think Reggie and Mudiay could play together. They definitely would need to trade Jennings at that point (if they kept Reggie). PG is such a valuable position I can't see someone like Mudiay dropping like that though.

dd24
06-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Moose is far better than Ilyasova. It's not even close. Dre can't lead a team to a championship at this point. I need to see a vast improvement from him. KCP could be a decent player but he's not going to score the ball like a James Harden. Reggie isn't a guy that can put up numbers like a Westbrook. So none of these guys (who are our core) are good enough to lead us to a championship. We are going to be stuck in mediocrity for quite a while. It's what scared me all this time. It certainly looks like it's coming true. We would need to hope that the young guys really really really get better. That and whatever this pick is ends up being the steal of the century.

Aussie Dunker
06-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Moose is far better than Ilyasova. It's not even close. Dre can't lead a team to a championship at this point. I need to see a vast improvement from him. KCP could be a decent player but he's not going to score the ball like a James Harden. Reggie isn't a guy that can put up numbers like a Westbrook. So none of these guys (who are our core) are good enough to lead us to a championship. We are going to be stuck in mediocrity for quite a while. It's what scared me all this time. It certainly looks like it's coming true. We would need to hope that the young guys really really really get better. That and whatever this pick is ends up being the steal of the century.

They are still so young man, they need time to develop and realise their potential, especially Dre, big men always take a little longer to develop, but he is just a raw 21 year old. and KCP is still just 20 (I think).. It is a process but we have some good foundations in our young core (including this years pick) and SVG to grow into something great.. We will be looking at 6-8 seed for the next 2 years I would predict, then after that is where we have to be making our huge jump when our young core is in the 22 - 26 year bracket...

Oh yeah Moose is wayyyy better than Ilyasova as a player, Moose was still the best player on our team last year when healthy. Moose will put up 20/10 on his new team, or close to it.

But I think Ilyasova might be better at 2 facets of the game - shooting the ball, and defending. Every other facet, scoring / passing / rebounding / awareness / hustle etc, Moose has him covered...

ZMonkey11
06-23-2015, 11:59 PM
I think overall, ilyasova is a better defender outright. But when banging with bigs, I'd take moose. Moose just seems to take up more space and has the bball iq to hold bigs. What always striked me impressive with moose was his ability to strip the ball. He can hold his position and has great hands.

If we are switching pick and roll, I take ilyasova, but his feet still don't have the quickness I'd want on that switch. It's going to be Drummond that has to come help on that if/once the ball handler flies by ilyasova. The point of that is moose was so bad at that, it wouldn't matter. So is ilyasova, so its picking between bad and worse.

So now we have a worse post defender that has mildly faster feet.

I get it. Moose is walking. We need a replacement. But to jump head first into ilyasova during the playoffs...man. It was like jumping the gun on Meeks to get 3 point shooter. And we had tolliver, Luigi, jerebko already last year.

I watched a lot of bucks games last year (they were prob my second favorite team to watch because of the Greek freak.) I didn't even see sova get that much pt. Yea they had abcs, henson, Parker, and Sanders for a bit to share time, but isn't that a little telling? An 8 year vet can't get starter pt over these (no pun intended) young bucks.

Not sure if I'm making sense Aussie.

Nastradamus
06-24-2015, 12:19 AM

Yah, I think Barnes misused Turner quite a bit. Not a lot of guys are 7' with the ability to both shoot and protect the rim. He has potential to be a rare and valuable commodity.

Aussie Dunker
06-24-2015, 12:23 AM
^^ You make great points mate ^^

I just think he was used wrong in his last few years at the bucks, and he has never really been on a good team (not that we are classified as a "good" team). The thing is, we pretty much got a solid rotation level player for nothing (in a way)... And, in my opinion, there isn't a coach in the league who would better know how to utilize a player such as Ilyasova. He is in the best possible place to capitalize on his skill set.

Moose has some of the best hands in the league for a big man, I agree

Nastradamus
06-24-2015, 12:24 AM
I already said you can argue the chip in miami. I kinda led with that. But besides the one run to the finals with Orlando, he's fielded good teams. Heavily favored Cleveland as in the were led by Lebron and mo will?

And in Orlando, didn't they have a haus of a defensive player in mikael pietrus (sp?). We are becoming a team that shoots 3s and nothing else. It's going to be a lil difficult to build a ****ing wall when moose walks and is replaced by a bigger liability on the defensive end in ilyasova.

This team isn't close to what he had in Orlando. That Orlando team would shit on us. We got three point shooters, give me some ****ing defense.

KCP's a stud defender. He did very well with Turk and Rashard Lewis at the F spots with Jameer/Alston at the point. I do think we need more D, but just giving some examples.

Aussie Dunker
06-24-2015, 12:40 AM
KCP's a stud defender. He did very well with Turk and Rashard Lewis at the F spots with Jameer/Alston at the point. I do think we need more D, but just giving some examples.

And the chances we get a good defender with #8 are fairly high

Winslow / WCS / Stanely / Turner - All can wind up being great to elite defenders

* Hezonja - Has the tools / athleticism to become a good to great defender with dedication

And also Reggie can wind up being a very handy defender under SVG's system, has great size.

Aussie Dunker
06-24-2015, 12:48 AM
I guess another bonus to Turner is that he will be a legit 7 footer who can protect the rim, so when Dre goes to the bench he can just switch over to the C and do a time share with Ilyasova at PF,

Dre 34 minutes at C

Ilyasova 28 minutes PF

Turner 10 minutes C, 14 minutes PF

Something to that effect...

Aussie Dunker
06-24-2015, 12:59 AM
And to further touch upon that, all of our options at #8 appear to be potential dual positional players,

* Winslow SF / SG
* Hezonja SG / SF
* Stanley SF / SG / some PF (Exact same height and 10 pounds heavier than Draymond Green!)
* WCS C / PF
* Turner PF / C
* Kaminsky PF / C

dd24
06-24-2015, 01:05 AM
I'm just not really excited about most of those players. I think Hezonja would fit well in Detroit. The rest I'm just not sure about. Winslow was playing PF during that tournament run. He was basically just blowing by slower defenders. It was almost a Duke version of what Golden State did. I'm not sure he can do that at SF in the NBA. They all certainly have major weaknesses. I hope we get lucky. It's just really tough to drafting at this spot every time.

Aussie Dunker
06-24-2015, 01:10 AM
I guess, one thing we can all unanimously be optimistic and positive about, is that at #8 we should be able to take the best player available who should also happen to be in the position we need the most (SF / PF).

Meaning we shouldn't have to worry about reaching for a need, we should be able to take the absolute best player available on that board....

ZMonkey11
06-24-2015, 09:02 AM

Oh no doubt. There are two pieces in Detroit I absolutely would not part with and its kcp and Drummond, which so happen to be our future defensive studs. KCP was a pick I absolutely adored Detroit making, and it wasn't for his offensive exploits.

But two defenders still leave us pretty porous, especially when our backstop can't be a defensive quarterback like wallace^2 was. Those two made everyone else better, much like Tyson CHandler did for Dallas. And I'm not sure if kcp will even be starting next year or not. This lineup is al over the place.

ZMonkey11
06-24-2015, 09:07 AM
I'll stop bitching. Suffice to say, you can tell I'm a defensive minded person. Hope one of these picks can also "Build a ****ing wall."

That's probably my favorite basketball phrase ever.

dd24
06-25-2015, 02:48 AM
We should have traded for Batum and drafted Lyles. One would think if Batum was available SVG would have been interested.

Aussie Dunker
06-25-2015, 05:49 AM
Yeah I do like Batum, he is able to play that 4th option well and is a great secondary ball handler, and can shoot the deep ball well. His play making and deep range would work perfectly around Reggie / Dre pick and roll game. And he is a very lengthy defender at the 3...

With him, we could focus on taking a PF in the draft ^^ If you like Lyles best then we could trade down to #16, I say he is still available there, him or Portis would be a good get with #16 and we would also get some heavy compensation on top of that moving the #8...

My question is, what would the Blazrs have wanted of us for Batum? Not sure we have the piees to have made something work? The only thing we have that they would want is #8... Batum + #23 for #8?... Not sure i'd even consider that... Maybe if Blazers could have packaged their #23 with assets and move up to #14 - #17 range then, perhaps worth considering....

Aussie Dunker
06-25-2015, 05:53 AM
I also really like the prospect of Vonleh... For some reason I just think he can be a very, very good player in time. If I knew he was available I think he could have been a great fit behind Ilyasova or in patches at C, and develop him into our PF of the future for 2-3 years time...

dd24
06-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Vonleh showed nothing last season and Henderson is just a role player. I'm sure Detroit could have came up with something lol.

Aussie Dunker
06-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Vonleh showed nothing last season and Henderson is just a role player. I'm sure Detroit could have came up with something lol.

Just remember that Vonleh was considered a steal at #9 just last year, was expected to go top 6,

Last year he was injured for the majority of it, hard to assess him on that,

19 years old, 6'10" and 240 pounds with (from memory) the biggest hands recorded in the last decade,

But yeah you are right he showed nothing last year, but still high on him

Aussie Dunker
06-25-2015, 05:44 PM
See the report coming out that Hezonja's agent / our new employee Arn Tellem is trying to get him to the Pistons, trying to put other teams off drafting him top 7...

dd24
06-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Just remember that Vonleh was considered a steal at #9 just last year, was expected to go top 6,

Last year he was injured for the majority of it, hard to assess him on that,

19 years old, 6'10" and 240 pounds with (from memory) the biggest hands recorded in the last decade,

But yeah you are right he showed nothing last year, but still high on him
He's got some big shoes too fill too. Portland is officially out of contention. I know LMA said LA and San Antonio are his two top targets. I still think Detroit should try to offer him the max. Him and Dre would be the best front line in the NBA. We just tendered Reggie. Then whatever happens tonight.... That would be a tough series for Lebron. I'm thinking there's a ton of superstars in the West just because Lebron is in the East and they're scared.

Aussie Dunker
06-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Oh man f we get LMA we automatically become a top 3 teamm in the East in our first year! Worst case scenario would be:

Dre / LMA
LMA / Ilyasova
Stanley / Tolliver / Miller
KCP / Meeks
Reggie / Dinwid

All of a sudden that is a very deep / strong second unit with Ilyasova as 6th man,

And then if you replace Stanely with Hezonja then it's even better

Aussie Dunker
06-25-2015, 06:05 PM
And down the stretch we can play a lineup of:

LMA
Ilyasova
KCP
Meeks
Reggie

Prevents hack a Dre, all good free throw shooters,

dd24
06-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Oh man f we get LMA we automatically become a top 3 teamm in the East in our first year! Worst case scenario would be:

Dre / LMA
LMA / Ilyasova
KCP / Meeks
Reggie / Dinwid

All of a sudden that is a very deep / strong second unit with Ilyasova as 6th man,

That's my thoughts. We'd be better than Chicago. We'd have to be competitive with Cleveland. One would think LMA would have to consider Detroit. He's not set on being in a big market. The one team he would have to get by is Cleveland. In the West it's much more. Of course if LA gets Cousins, maybe someone like Mudiay, Kobe, and him that's a solid team too.

ZMonkey11
06-25-2015, 06:50 PM

Dre / LMA
LMA / Ilyasova
KCP / Meeks
Reggie / Dinwid

This is what I'm talking about!!!!!

I'm hoping for Stanley either way tonight. Letsssss go!!!

dd24
06-25-2015, 06:53 PM
At this point I'm actually fine if we pass on all SF's. Booker is going to be better than Winslow or Stanley. Even though we don't need a SG he's going to be lights out. I'd be fine with Lyles too. Unless Winslow gets moved to SG in the NBA. He's just too small. If he gets drafted by a team like Detroit that forces him to mainly play SF he will be a bust. If he goes to a team that can experiment and have him play some SG he could be alright.

ZMonkey11
06-25-2015, 06:59 PM
At this point I'm actually fine if we pass on all SF's. Booker is going to be better than Winslow or Stanley. Even though we don't need a SG he's going to be lights out. I'd be fine with Lyles too. Unless Winslow gets moved to SG in the NBA. He's just too small. If he gets drafted by a team like Detroit that forces him to mainly play SF he will be a bust. If he goes to a team that can experiment and have him play some SG he could be alright.

So what would you do w KCP at that point. Also,some guu named Afflalo is on the market.....

dd24
06-25-2015, 07:01 PM
So what would you do w KCP at that point. Also,some guu named Afflalo is on the market.....
I think you move Meeks.

Aussie Dunker
06-25-2015, 07:59 PM
I think all of Winslows intangibles - insane motor / hustle / length / winning mentality will see him work out just fine at SF.

More or less same size as pierce / artest / Bowen - all of which thrived at SF,

P.s we need WCS or Kaminsky to go top 7 to help us..

dd24
06-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Artest is one of the very few examples of someone 6'6" who was good. But he was so much stronger than everyone. The other guys were at least 6'7". You absolutely need to be at least 6'7" to make it for the most part. 6'6" is SG sized.

dd24
06-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Looks like it's Stanley Johnson. They had their choice. Hopefully it's the right one. Something tells me Booker is going to be the best available player at that pick though.

Aussie Dunker
06-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Yeah very happy with the selection, 6'7 and 245 pounds, projects to be a great to elite defender in this league.

Reggie / KCP / Stanley / Dre

Nice athletic defensive core to move forward with,

Let's see if we can get lucky with our 2nd rounder

And p.s no matter how you spin it - Winslow to Miami at #10 is an incredible steal

dd24
06-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Yeah very happy with the selection, 6'7 and 245 pounds, projects to be a great to elite defender in this league.

Reggie / KCP / Stanley / Dre

Nice athletic defensive core to move forward with,

Let's see if we can get lucky with our 2nd rounder

And p.s no matter how you spin it - Winslow to Miami at #10 is an incredible steal
Yeah, Miami is super happy. Charlotte makes another bone headed pick lol.

Aussie Dunker
06-25-2015, 09:46 PM
I think Charlotte getting Batum pushed MKG to the 2 guard and they are highly invested in him as a prospect, so Booker in their eyes was not a priority...

But, idiots!! Booker would have been perfect there, I'm happy we didn't bite on him over Stanley, but he would have made sense at #9

ZMonkey11
06-25-2015, 11:47 PM
We got Johnson?!? Yes!!!!!

Can't really keep up cause I'm in vietnam.

Man we got a nice, young defensive core now!

Aussie Dunker
06-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Super, super bummed with our second rounder, Darrun Hilliard.

He wasn't even projected to be selected at all, and we took him high in the 2nd,

6'6 SG who is more or less a deep shooter. Not sure how he fits in our team with Meeks and KCP already locked into that position.

Would have thought a backup C/PF was a MUCH higher priority and there were some actual decent candidates available

Aw wel, just a 2nd rounder, best of luck to him at summer league

Aussie Dunker
06-25-2015, 11:52 PM
If we were going to take another guard / wing, I would have preferred Pat Connaughton, better shooter, better athlete...

ZMonkey11
06-26-2015, 12:23 AM
Super, super bummed with our second rounder, Darrun Hilliard.

He wasn't even projected to be selected at all, and we took him high in the 2nd,

6'6 SG who is more or less a deep shooter. Not sure how he fits in our team with Meeks and KCP already locked into that position.

Would have thought a backup C/PF was a MUCH higher priority and there were some actual decent candidates available

Aw wel, just a 2nd rounder, best of luck to him at summer league

SVG likes having a plethora of flame throwing, 3-ballers. What makes this pick bad? Not too versed with this guy, but given the system everyone believes in so much, seems like he'd be the perfect spot up shooter for Dre to kick out, too.

Aussie Dunker
06-26-2015, 01:48 AM
Yeah I guess i'm not too mad at the pick, was just a knee jerk reaction as I was sure we were going to get Dre some help at the C (he is actually the only "big guy" we have on the roster, who plays C if he fouls out / gets injured.. Tolliver?...

Hilliard is a lefty (bonus) and his jumpshot is pretty amazing, especially from deep - great mechanics. Led Villanova in points, steals and 3's.

As I said, best of luck to him making the roster, I just can't believe someone like Holmes went un-drafted! I was hoping he would be there at #38 but wasn't holding my breath.... hrmmm

ZMonkey11
06-26-2015, 02:41 AM
Yeah I guess i'm not too mad at the pick, was just a knee jerk reaction as I was sure we were going to get Dre some help at the C (he is actually the only "big guy" we have on the roster, who plays C if he fouls out / gets injured.. Tolliver?...

Hilliard is a lefty (bonus) and his jumpshot is pretty amazing, especially from deep - great mechanics. Led Villanova in points, steals and 3's.

As I said, best of luck to him making the roster, I just can't believe someone like Holmes went un-drafted! I was hoping he would be there at #38 but wasn't holding my breath.... hrmmm

Dude shame on me. I've been thinking about PF and SF so much, I ignored the fact we only have one true center. did not notice we signed Anthony to one year. Yea I see your concern.