PDA

View Full Version : Willie Cauley-Stein Defense Article

Im Still Ballin
04-04-2015, 07:52 AM
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/XtMWkztfn5B3ufqNQSIeNB7aNS0=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3569234/Screen_Shot_2015-04-02_at_9.55.10_PM.0.png

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/br19tm9V7X_TBYEgM0cf2aTxiT4=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3569226/Screen_Shot_2015-04-02_at_9.54.09_PM.0.png

No big man has ever recorded a quicker time in the lane agility drill, which assesses body control and change of direction ability. And with a 147-inch maximum vertical reach, few bigs even come close to Cauley-Stein's length.

But Cauley-Stein athleticism doesn't only shine in his practice shorts. John Calipari has used his bouncy big man as a defensive stopper by having him harass the opponent's best player, regardless of their position. The 21-year-old has the lateral quickness to defend at least three positions in the NBA, though he can defend all five in college while wearing a blindfold. Big men should not be able to stay with NBA-quality guards like Grant.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/4/3/8338409/willie-cauley-stein-defense-nba-draft-2015

warriorfan
04-04-2015, 08:21 AM
graphs blow watch tape

UK2K
04-04-2015, 10:47 AM
One of my favorite players ever.

Where he goes, I will instantly become a fan.

el gringos
04-04-2015, 11:02 AM
One of my favorite players ever.

Where he goes, I will instantly become a fan.
The Knicks will be on the rise

LAZERUSS
04-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Given what we know about Chamberlain (at least a 153" maximum reach, and his sprinter's speed...he was a member of KU's 4x100 relay team)...

I wonder where he would rank on these all-time lists coming out of college...

Jameerthefear
04-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Given what we know about Chamberlain (at least a 153" maximum reach, and his sprinter's speed...he was a member of KU's 4x100 relay team)...

I wonder where he would rank on these all-time lists coming out of college...
No one gives a ****

noob cake
04-04-2015, 01:38 PM
More Kentucky pre-draft media assault.

We get these every year proclaiming every Kentucky player to be a saint.

GOBB
04-04-2015, 01:50 PM

Do you even know what labeling someone a saint implies? It definitely has nothing to do with highlighting a players defensive & athletic ability in college.

Dasher
04-04-2015, 02:50 PM
It'd be interesting to see which contender makes a move into the lottery to draft him, and what they'd be willing to give up. He could balance the floor defensively for a lot of teams.

For the none-contenders, I think he'd be a great player to slot next to Al Jefferson. He and Bismack Biyombo would form a nice rotation of designated defender bigs.

JohnMax
04-04-2015, 03:01 PM
noob cake is a duke fan

salwan
04-04-2015, 03:04 PM
the celtics need to trade up to get this guy

UK2K
04-04-2015, 03:12 PM

Saint?

Dude has article after article of him visiting the UK children's hospital between games, practice, and class.

He's one of the most genuine guys I've ever see play in Rupp. As much as I liked Wall and Patterson, WCS has raised the bar to new levels.

Really excited to see him have a long, successful, career.

CJ Mustard
04-04-2015, 03:21 PM
C-Webb ripped him on Mike & Mike the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ub56e9Hcg

I agree with a lot of what Webber is saying. Cauley-Stein will never be a solid starter on a team because he's a liability offensively, but he can have a Javale McGee type role where he brings energy off the bench but isn't on the floor long enough to cost you the game offensively.

Dasher
04-04-2015, 03:31 PM
DeAndre Jordan is a bad comparison because he doesn't move like Cauley-Stein does on the pick and roll. Stein also isn't close to being as strong as Jordan is, though to be fair, it took Jordan a lot of time in an NBA conditioning program to be what he is today.

On defense, Cauley-Stein looks more like Joakim Noah than DeAndre Jordan.

I think he'll have trouble against strong bigs starting out, but it's not like he's going to be facing a crazy amount of throw it into the post bigs night in and night out. There aren't that many.

LosBulls
04-04-2015, 04:30 PM
I'd like to see how he compares to Joakim Noah.

Alamо
04-04-2015, 04:31 PM
Already much better than prime Wilt and Russell combined

ReturnofJPR
04-04-2015, 11:47 PM
I thought this thread was devoted to his defense after his lack of sportsmanship following wisconsins beatdown of the dirty kentucky program

ace23
04-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Crazy shit

Burgz V2
04-05-2015, 09:58 PM
C-Webb ripped him on Mike & Mike the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4ub56e9Hcg

I agree with a lot of what Webber is saying. Cauley-Stein will never be a solid starter on a team because he's a liability offensively, but he can have a Javale McGee type role where he brings energy off the bench but isn't on the floor long enough to cost you the game offensively.

i understand what he is saying here and it makes complete sense.

BUT.

he value of bigs that can guard the pick and roll is skyrocketing right now. DeAndre is a name that is thrown out there by media, but his game and body are more like Tyson Chandler when he first came into the league. his versatility defensively will give him an NBA career, but the notion that he can't be a successful pro because he couldn't score on this one guy in college (ND's Conaughton) is a little unfair.