PDA

View Full Version : What do you perceive to be the greatest weakness of each of the top 10 players?

ShawkFactory
04-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Ill also add Lebron for the hell of it.

1. Mike- hard to find one, but I guess it's that he wasn't a great teammate. Obviously his teammates respected him because he got results but he was obviously an asshole. Part of me thinks that without Phil to chill everyone else out the Bulls wouldn't have had 6 championships. A PART of me...
2. Kareem- could be soft at times.
3. Wilt- free throws
4. Russell- not a great offensive skillset
5. Bird- kinda flawless overall. I guess athleticism
6. Magic- defensive effort
7. Duncan- inconsistent from outside the paint. At times
8. Kobe- ego. Can be overly aggressive to the point where it isn't even a good thing.
9. Shaq- I'd say free throws but since I already did that for Wilt ill say he could be too temperamental. Or too full of himself
10. Hakeem- honestly don't know. Someone help.
11. Lebron- can shy away from big moments.

keep-itreal
04-04-2015, 10:49 AM

1. Mike- hard to find one, but I guess it's that he wasn't a great teammate. Obviously his teammates respected him because he got results but he was obviously an asshole. Part of me thinks that without Phil to chill everyone else out the Bulls wouldn't have had 6 championships. A PART of me...
3. Wilt- free throws
8. Kobe- ego. Can be overly aggressive to the point where it isn't even a good thing.
9. Shaq- I'd say free throws but since I already did that for Wilt ill say he could be too temperamental. Or too full of himself

That's the worst weakness a player could have:cheers:

ShawkFactory
04-04-2015, 11:03 AM
That's the worst weakness a player could have:cheers:
Well no. A player could just be not that good at basketball.

beastee
04-04-2015, 11:37 AM

Lazy. Could have been top 3 of all time if he sustained peak. His 3-5 year peak was on MJ levels.

Mr.Kite
04-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Well no. A player could just be not that good at basketball.

Then he wouldn't make a top 10 list. Christ

Prime_Shaq
04-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Lazy. Could have been top 3 of all time if he sustained peak. His 3-5 year peak was on MJ levels.
I agree. A motivated Shaq would have a case for GOAT.

sd3035
04-04-2015, 12:08 PM
1. Mike- Douchebag
2. Kareem- Terrorist
3. Wilt- Fraud
4. Russell- Fraud
5. Bird- White
6. Magic- Gay
7. Duncan- Boring
8. Kobe- Rapist
9. Shaq- Fat
10. Hakeem- Don't care
11. Lebron- GOAT

ShawkFactory
04-04-2015, 12:37 PM
Well he said player...

LAZERUSS
04-04-2015, 12:39 PM
You need to compare their "weaknesses" with their strengths.

A player may have a few weaknesses, but he might have overwhelming strengths.

ShawkFactory
04-04-2015, 12:53 PM
You need to compare their "weaknesses" with their strengths.

A player may have a few weaknesses, but he might have overwhelming strengths.
Well most of us know about the overwhelming strengths. That's why they're the top 11 players who ever played the game.

Different subject here

ninephive
04-04-2015, 01:06 PM
I'm going to take a different approach and do this from a resume standpoint:

1. Jordan - 5 losing seasons, 1-9 playoff record before Pippen, then Phil.
2. Kareem - Played with Oscar and Magic, two top 10-15 players
3. Russell - 8 teams in the league, championships equivalent to Conference Finals
4. Wilt - Performance decreased in the postseason, 2 titles
5. Duncan - Played for Popovich in a great system (for the record, I think Duncan has the most complete resume)
6. Magic - Played with Kareem and for Riley, shortened career
7. Bird - Played in a great system and had a short career, only 3 titles
8. Shaq - Was a journeyman, mediocre defense, played with Kobe and Wade and for Phil
9. Kobe - Only 2 titles as the man, played with Shaq and for Phil
10. Hakeem - Only won 50 games 5 times, lots of first round exits

Poochymama
04-04-2015, 01:43 PM
1. Jordan - didn't trust teammates early on, retired in his prime
2. Kareem - Lack of success without Magic when the 70s was a weak era for him to dominate, defense outside of prime
3. Russell - weak era, not a good scorer, freethrows
4. Bird - back/longevity
5. Lebron - badly hurts the game of those who are best with the ball in their hands, can have problems with knowing the flow of the game
6. Duncan - scoring?(not really a weakness)
7. Wilt - worst playoff performer of the bunch, played for stats, weak era, freethrows
8. Magic - defense/longevity
9. Shaq - freethrows, defense outside of prime
10. Kobe - tends to force shots, defense

keep-itreal
04-04-2015, 01:46 PM
2. Kareem - Lack of success without Magic when the 70s was a weak era for him to dominate, defense outside of prime
4. Bird - back/longevity
5. Lebron - badly hurts the game of those who are best with the ball in their hands, can have problems with knowing the flow of the game
7. Wilt - worst playoff performer of the bunch, played for stats, weak era, freethrows

:roll: :roll:

underage are not allowed on this board

Chadwin
04-04-2015, 01:51 PM
If we're talking about peaks, I think only MJ, Kareem and Hakeem were perfect.

I can't believe nobody else mentioned free throws for Duncan.

Poochymama
04-04-2015, 01:58 PM

underage are not allowed on this board

That's why I said it's not really a weakness.

It's just the weakest part of his game against defense/rebounding/intangibles

ISHGoat
04-04-2015, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=ShawkFactory]Ill also add Lebron for the hell of it.

1. Mike- Douchebag
2. Kareem- Terrorist
3. Wilt- Fraud
4. Russell- Fraud
5. Bird- White
6. Magic- Gay
7. Duncan- Boring
8. Kobe- Rapist
9. Shaq- Fat
10. Hakeem- Don't care
11. Lebron- GOAT

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I love the weaknesses for bird and magic, they were white and gay respectively

keep-itreal
04-04-2015, 02:18 PM

Poochymama
04-04-2015, 02:25 PM

Laugh all you want, just shows your lack of knowledge.

He's a goat level defender. Near goat rebounder, and goat intangibles.

I could name 10-15 people off the top of my head that were better scorers.

LAZERUSS
04-04-2015, 02:57 PM
4. Bird - back/longevity

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Aside from Jordan, a peak "scoring" Wilt was the best playoff scorer on that list, and overall by FAR the best rebounder, second only to Russell in term's of defensive impact and the best one-on-one defender of the entire group, and only MJ would rival him in terms of clutch play.

Oh, and 60% of Wilt's entire playoff games came against HOFer centers.

Do some actual RESEARCH before posting utter nonsense.

Poochymama
04-04-2015, 03:48 PM

Aside from Jordan, a peak "scoring" Wilt was the best playoff scorer on that list, and overall by FAR the best rebounder, second only to Russell in term's of defensive impact and the best one-on-one defender of the entire group, and only MJ would rival him in terms of clutch play.

Oh, and 60% of Wilt's entire playoff games came against HOFer centers.

Do some actual RESEARCH before posting utter nonsense.

I do do actual research, I just have the ability to look at things objectively, unlike you.

Wilt's scoring numbers overall are like 18 on 52 TS% and his finals numbers are like 14 ppg taking into account pace and minutes.

Even scoring Wilt is like 25-27 on 49-51 TS% when you take into account the fact that he playing with 20-30% more possessions and also playing every minute of every game.

For comparison, the others in their scoring prime were doing
Jordan: 34-36 on 58-60%
Shaq: 27-30 on 55-57%
Lebron: 27-30 on 58-60%

And besides, it's more about the decline. Scoring 40 in the regular season and then dropping to 30 in the post-season is worse than just scoring 30 in both as it forces your teammates to adapt on the fly to new situations in the most important games of the season.

Also, Hakeem, Russell, and arguably Duncan were all better defenders in the post-season. And who cares about one on one defense for centers? You're the anchor for the team, your individual matchup is way less important.

You seem mad though :roll: , you should write me an essay explaining why I'm wrong(preferably several).

3ball
04-04-2015, 03:48 PM
1. Mike - too far ahead of his time, so his domination was too much - that's the real reason he retired in 1993.. there were no more challenges.
2. Kareem - was 2nd fiddle for most of his rings
3. Wilt - like MJ, no weaknesses, except FT shooting - unfortunately, in his era, the Celtics had all of the league's talent - Wilt would have won far more rings in another era... Also, he was such a dominant offensive player (most dominant ever), that his presence often prevented his teams from playing an equitable brand of basketball - like i said, no real weaknesses other than FT shooting.
4. Russell - not a great offensive skillset
5. Bird - kinda flawless overall.. he successfully defended the best SF's and PF's of all time.
6. Magic - no weaknesses, maybe defense but it's hard to say - i'm not sure how much worse Magic would be at defending penetration, since penetration is automatic in today's game anyway.. in today's game, it's all about the shading and flooding, which makes the actual defender of the ball not so important.
7. Duncan - nice player, but simply not as dominating or as good a leader as the players ranked ahead of him.. his average leadership ability was on display in the 2004 Olympics, when his presence had no impact.. oh, and FT shooting
8. Kobe - was a 6'6" Iverson - this is exceptional because Iverson was a great scorer and a 6'6" version is almost unfathomable - the problem is that Iverson was a chucker and so was Kobe - they broke the offense WAY too much.. their chucking hurts the perception of their scoring numbers, since they were often just on their own out there chucking for a high point total
9. Shaq - poor work ethic, underachieved in his career
10. Hakeem - by 1994, Hakeem had no weaknesses, because he'd developed into an elite offensive player - but for the first 2/3 of his career, he was not a dominant offensive player, which hurt his ability to control his team's destiny.
XX. Lebron - employs a ball-dominant style - this is a problem from the forward position because it impinges on the playmaking duties of the actual guards and marginalizes his PF.. Consequently, his presence reduces the production of certain teammates which prevents the TEAM from maximizing it's production.. Teams that don't maximize their production aren't reaching their ceiling and are underachieving, which is characteristic of Lebron's teams.

sd3035
04-04-2015, 04:03 PM
1. Mike - too far ahead of his time, so his domination was too much - that's the real reason he retired in 1993.. there were no more challenges.
2. Kareem - was 2nd fiddle for most of his rings
3. Wilt - like MJ, no weaknesses, except FT shooting - unfortunately, in his era, the Celtics had all of the league's talent - Wilt would have won far more rings in another era... Also, he was such a dominant offensive player (most dominant ever), that his presence often prevented his teams from playing an equitable brand of basketball - like i said, no real weaknesses other than FT shooting.
4. Russell - not a great offensive skillset
5. Bird - kinda flawless overall.. he successfully defended the best SF's and PF's of all time.
6. Magic - no weaknesses, maybe defense but it's hard to say - i'm not sure how much worse Magic would be at defending penetration, since penetration is automatic in today's game anyway.. in today's game, it's all about the shading and flooding, which makes the actual defender of the ball not so important.
7. Duncan - nice player, but simply not as dominating or as good a leader as the players ranked ahead of him.. his average leadership ability was on display in the 2004 Olympics, when his presence had no impact.. oh, and FT shooting
8. Kobe - was a 6'6" Iverson - this is exceptional because Iverson was a great scorer and a 6'6" version is almost unfathomable - the problem is that Iverson was a chucker and so was Kobe - they broke the offense WAY too much.. their chucking hurts the perception of their scoring numbers, since they were often just on their own out there chucking for a high point total
9. Shaq - poor work ethic, underachieved in his career
10. Hakeem - by 1994, Hakeem had no weaknesses, because he'd developed into an elite offensive player - but for the first 2/3 of his career, he was not a dominant offensive player, which hurt his ability to control his team's destiny.
XX. Lebron - employs a ball-dominant style - this is a problem from the forward position because it impinges on the playmaking duties of the actual guards and marginalizes his PF.. Consequently, his presence reduces the production of certain teammates which prevents the TEAM from maximizing it's production.. Teams that don't maximize their production aren't reaching their ceiling and are underachieving, which is characteristic of Lebron's teams.

that's a pretty decent analysis

ShawkFactory
04-04-2015, 04:09 PM
that's a pretty decent analysis
Also the same exact shit (I mean...exactly the same) he's been saying for like...a long time. Catch up.

nzahir
04-04-2015, 04:13 PM

3. Wilt- free throws

Lol you really have wilt and bill over lebron? Bill Russel in todays game would be at BEST Ben wallace and is ben wallace a top 10 player?

ShawkFactory
04-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Lol you really have wilt and bill over lebron? Bill Russel in todays game would be at BEST Ben wallace and is ben wallace a top 10 player?
Yea make sure you're ready for your geometry test Monday.

LAZERUSS
04-04-2015, 04:33 PM
I do do actual research, I just have the ability to look at things objectively, unlike you.

Wilt's scoring numbers overall are like 18 on 52 TS% and his finals numbers are like 14 ppg taking into account pace and minutes.

Even scoring Wilt is like 25-27 on 49-51 TS% when you take into account the fact that he playing with 20-30% more possessions and also playing every minute of every game.

For comparison, the others in their scoring prime were doing
Jordan: 34-36 on 58-60%
Shaq: 27-30 on 55-57%
Lebron: 27-30 on 58-60%

And besides, it's more about the decline. Scoring 40 in the regular season and then dropping to 30 in the post-season is worse than just scoring 30 in both as it forces your teammates to adapt on the fly to new situations in the most important games of the season.

Also, Hakeem, Russell, and arguably Duncan were all better defenders in the post-season. And who cares about one on one defense for centers? You're the anchor for the team, your individual matchup is way less important.

You seem mad though :roll: , you should write me an essay explaining why I'm wrong(preferably several).

So it's POSSESSIONS when it comes to Wilt, BUT not league average FG%'s, NOR EFFECTIVE FT% (and EFFECTIVE TS%'s), right?

For instance, Chamberlain's 34 ppg in his scoring prime came on a .515 FG%, in post-season league's that shot about .420 from the field in that same span. And his EFFECTIVE TS% which came with different FT shooting rules, was about 2-3% than his ACTUAL TS%'s.

Furthermore, how about FGAs? Let's use Wilt's '64 Finals series against RUSSELL as compared to Hakeem's '95 Finals against Shaq. Chamberlain scored 29 ppg on 24 FGAs, and on a .517 FG%, in a post-season NBA that averaged ...guess what....420 from the field. Oh, and in the scoring in that post-season... 105.8 ppg. Compare that with Hakeem's 32.8 ppg, on 29 FGAs, and on a .488 eFG%, in a post-season NBA that shot an eFG% of .504 and scored 99.3 ppg.

Do the math...move THAT Wilt to the '95 Finals, and against a weaker defender in Shaq...give him 29 FGAs, AND, ADJUST for eFG% shooting...and Wilt would have averaged 40 ppg on a .620 eFG%.

Of course, when Wilt faced just regular All-Star centers in his "scoring prime", like Zelmo Beaty, well, he would hang a seven game series of 38.6 ppg on a .559 eFG%, in that same '64 post-season. Or, how about Wilt's seven game '65 EDF's, and against RUSSELL, when he averaged 30.1 ppg on 20.9 FGAs per game?

Defense?

Wilt's post-season FG% allowed:

59-60:

Kerr regular season FG% against the league: .392
Kerr against Wilt in the playoffs: .294

Dierking regular season FG%: .365
Dierking vs Wilt in the post-season: .333

Russell regular season: .467
Russell vs. Wilt in the post-season: .446

60-61:

Kerr regular season: .397
Kerr vs Wilt: .321

Halbrook regular season: .335
Halbrook vs Wilt: .387

61-62:

Kerr regular season: .443
Kerr vs. Wilt: .376

Russell regular season: .457
Russell vs Wilt: .399

63-64:

Beaty regular season: .444
Beaty vs. Wilt: .520

Russell regular season: .433
Russell vs. Wilt: .386

64-65:

Embry regular season: .456
Embry vs Wilt: .438

Russell regular season: .438
Russell vs. Wilt: .446

65-66:

Russell regular season: .415
Russell vs. Wilt: .424

66-67:

Dierking regular season: .399
Dierking vs Wilt: .427

Russell regular season: .454
Russell vs. Wilt: .358

Thurmond regular season: .437
Thurmond vs. Wilt: .343

67-68:

Bellamy regular season: .541
Bellamy vs. Wilt: .421

Russell regular season: .425
Russell vs. Wilt: .440

68-69:

Thurmond regular season: .410
Thurmond vs Wilt: .392

Beaty regular season: .470
Beaty vs. Wilt: .383

Russell regular season: .433
Russell vs. Wilt: .397

69-70:

Walk regular season: .470
Walk vs Wilt: .395

Fox regular season: .524
Fox vs Wilt: .362

Bellamy regular season: .523
Bellamy vs Wilt: .456

Reed regular season: .507
Reed vs Wilt: .483

70-71:

Boerwinkle regular season: .485
Boerwinkle vs Wilt: .463

Fox regular season: .458
Fox vs Wilt: .434

Kareem regular season: .577
Kareem vs Wilt: .481

71-72:

Ray regular season: .499
Ray vs Wilt: .529

Kareem regular season: .574
Kareem vs Wilt: .457

Lucas regular season: .512
Lucas vs Wilt: .500

72-73:

Awtry regular season: .480
Awtry vs Wilt: .542

Thurmond regular season: .446
Thurmond vs Wilt: .373

Reed regular season: .474
Reed vs Wilt: .493

Easily the greatest one-on-one defense played by a center in NBA post-season history.

Poochymama
04-04-2015, 04:38 PM

So it's POSSESSIONS when it comes to Wilt, BUT not league average FG%'s, NOR EFFECTIVE FT% (and EFFECTIVE TS%'s), right?

For instance, Chamberlain's 34 ppg in his scoring prime came on a .515 FG%, in post-season league's that shot about .420 from the field in that same span. And his EFFECTIVE TS% which came with different FT shooting rules, was about 2-3% than his ACTUAL TS%'s.

Furthermore, how about FGAs? Let's use Wilt's '64 Finals series against RUSSELL as compared to Hakeem's '95 Finals against Shaq. Chamberlain scored 29 ppg on 24 FGAs, and on a .517 FG%, in a post-season NBA that averaged ...guess what....420 from the field. Oh, and in the scoring in that post-season... 105.8 ppg. Compare that with Hakeem's 32.8 ppg, on 29 FGAs, and on a .488 eFG%, in a post-season NBA that shot an eFG% of .504 and scored 99.3 ppg.

Do the math...move THAT Wilt to the '95 Finals, and against a weaker defender in Shaq...give him 29 FGAs, AND, ADJUST for eFG% shooting...and Wilt would have averaged 40 ppg on a .620 eFG%.

Of course, when Wilt faced just regular All-Star centers in his "scoring prime", like Zelmo Beaty, well, he would hang a seven game series of 38.6 ppg on a .559 eFG%, in that same '64 post-season. Or, how about Wilt's seven game '65 EDF's, and against RUSSELL, when he averaged 30.1 ppg on 20.9 FGAs per game?

Defense?

Easily the greatest one-on-one defense played by a center in NBA post-season history.

I'd love to hear your era-link hypothesis. Also, could you expand on your idea of adjusting for league average efficiency. What would Wilt's TS% be if he played today?

LAZERUSS
04-04-2015, 04:50 PM
I'd love to hear your era-link hypothesis. Also, could you expand on your idea of adjusting for league average efficiency. What would Wilt's TS% be if he played today?

Save myself some time...

Shooting? The jump shot originated sometime in the early 40's. Granted, the NBA in the 50's and early 60's, shot poorly from the field. But, there were many reasons for that. The venues were often cold, and in some cases, even breezy. There is documentation of a Chicago Bulls game being played in FREEZING conditions in the late 60's. The ball, itself, did not become uniform until the late 60's. I personally remember playing in city leagues in the 60's in which none of the balls on a rack were identical. Some were heavier, some lighter, and some were even lopsided. There are photos of NBA players playing with bald basketballs. And perhaps the most significant reason for the relatively poor shooting, was the brutal scheduling. As an example, in Wilt's 61-62 season, he played a ton of B2B games; six separate stretches of three-in-a-row; another three separate stretches of four-in-a-row; and even one other separate stretch of five-in-a-row, and in which two of the games in the middle of that run were on the road.

The scheduling is really significant, too. A couple of years ago the NBA went on strike, and when the season started, they played a condensed schedule to squeeze in as many games as they could. The impact was immediate. Scoring and shooting dropped significantly, and only when the schedule returned to a more reasonable rate, did the numbers slowly rise.

In any case, there was no question that SOMETHING affected the shooting in the NBA in the early 60's (and before.) I have never had anyone come up with a reasonable explanation as to why, player after player, of those that played in the early 60's and into the late 60's, or beyond, shot better, to MUCH better, in the latter parts of those seasons. Take a look at the footage of the '62 NBA ASG. In it you will see Jerry West shooting his patented jump shot. the shot would be identical in his entire NBA career, and yet, in the early 60's he was shooting .419 and .445. By the late 60's he was shooting .514.

There were a ton of other examples, as well. Elgin Baylor would shoot as low as .401 in the early 60's, and as high as .486 in the late 60's. Johnny Green is a great example. In the early 60's he had seasons of .430 and .436. In that .436 season he averaged 15.9 ppg. In his 69-70 season he averaged 15.6 ppg on a league-leading .559 FG%. He would also have seasons after that of .587 and even .599. How about Darrall Imhoff? In the early 60's he had three straight seasons of .394, .386, and an unfathomable .314. By his 69-70 season he was shooting .540. And John Havlicek was perhaps the best example. He played 16 seasons in the NBA, evenly split between the decade of the 60's and the 70's. Guess what, he shot better every season in the 70's, than his best season in the 60's. In fact, in the mid-60's he even had a season as low as .399. Then, there was Wilt. Believe it, or not, in his rookie season he shot .461. It would be the only time in his career in which he would shoot less than .506. But as the decade went on, his FG%'s rose, and by the mid-60's he had dramatic increases. In 66-67 he averaged 24 ppg on a .683 FG%, and in a league that had an eFG% of .441.

And you can carry that argument for those players whose careers spanned the 60's into the 70's. Again, almost player-for-player, an increase. However, the next major jump, and again with no real explanation, occurred two years after the ABA merged, when the league eFG% rose from .469 to .485 in 78-79. Here again, FG%'s just went thru the roof.

Kareem played ten seasons in then decade of the 70's, and ten more in the decade of the 80's. In the 70's he had seasons of .539, .529, .518, and even .513 (and right in the middle of the decade of the 70's BTW.) And yet, and not including his last two years in the NBA (at ages 41 and 42), he shot .564, or higher, every single season in the 80's, including a career high of .604, and even .599 at age 37. Dantley's FG%s sky-rocketed. And how about Artis Gilmore? In the 70's, a 27 year old Gilmore averaged 18.6 ppg on a .522 FG%. At age 35 he averaged 19.1 ppg on a .623 FG%. In between, and from '81 thru '84, he put up seasons of .626, .631, .652, and even .670.

Then, in the late 80's, and into the 90's, FG%'s leveled off, and even declined. Granted, the 3pt shot affected the overall FG%'s, but how do explain the great centers of that period, whose careers spanned the 80's and into 90's, DECLINING? Hakeem had his FG% season of his entire career in his rookie season. Ewing had his three highest seasons in the 80's, with a career high .567 in '89, and then as low as .466 a few years later at age 33. David Robinson didn't come into the NBA until 89-90, but he had his career high of .551 in his third season, and after that, a steady decline.

And then, to make this shooting even more perplexing...in the 58-59 season, the NBA shot .756 from the FT line. Last year the NBA shot .753 from the line, and in fact, the current NBA is also shooting .753 from the line. Hell, in the 73-74 season the NBA was shooting as high as .771.

And to answer your question...let's move a '62 Wilt to THIS year and adjust for actual scoring and eFG%'s differentials...

42 ppg on a .588 FG%.

Now, you can argue that Chamberlain wouldn't play 48.5 mpg...but whatever mpg number you choose to apply...his EFFICIENCY would SURELY rise.

How about Wilt's last season?

His .727 FG% would translate to .789 in today's NBA.

ShawkFactory
04-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Wilt was also given/allowed much more freedom on a subpar team than any player has ever had. In his 50 PPG season he took FORTY shots per game. With 17 free throws.

Russell's highest was 17. Kareem was 25. Jordan was 28.

He was in a completely different circumstance. The same way that Brees has more 5000 yard passing seasons than the rest of the quarterbacks currently playing in the NFL, and the same amount as the rest of the players in NFL history.

He was an absurdly talented player not on a true contender allowed to do whatever the fvck he wanted.

Genaro
04-04-2015, 04:52 PM
4. Bird - back/longevity
You have no idea you're talking about

LAZERUSS
04-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Wilt was also given/allowed much more freedom on a subpar team than any player has ever had. I'm his 50 PPG season he took FORTY shots per game. With 17 free throws.

He was in a completely different circumstance. The same way that Brees has more 5000 yard passing seasons than the rest of the quarterbacks currently playing in the NFL, and the same amount as the rest of the players in NFL history.

He was an absurdly talented player not on a true contender allowed to do whatever the fvck he wanted.

Let's at least get the FACTS straight, shall we?

It was NOT Wilt's idea to take 40 FGAs per game in '62. It was his COACH's decision. And why? Because in the '61 post-season, Wilt's teammates collectively shot .332 from the field in the first round of the playoffs. His three "HOF" teammates, Paul Arizin, Tom Gola, and Guy Rodgers shot .328, .206, and .368 respectively.

Furthermore, Chamberlain then took that cast of clowns, the core of which was the same LAST PLACE roster that he inherited in his rookie season two years earlier, to a 49-31 record, and thru the first round of the playoffs in '62, and to a game seven, two point loss against the eventual champion, and 60-20 Celtics. Oh, and in that post-season, his teammates collectively shot .354, and to make it even more laughable, .345 in the EDF's. Now you explain to all of us here just how the hell Wilt accomplished that.

SexSymbol
04-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Jordan - post defense, he's useless there.
Kareem - soft
Russell - lack of scoring
Bird - health, speed
Kobe - character issues earlier in the career
Duncan - slow, lack of fire
Magic - shooting, defense.
Shaq - freethrows, character issues all throughout his career, huge ego.
Wilt - worst superstar playoff performer of all time
LeBron - soft, defense, first step is slow, can't drive left at an elite level
Hakeem - nothing really, long range shooting maybe, but that isn't really a weakness for a big man
Jerry West - off-hand dribbling.
Bob Cousy - left hand doing anything

LAZERUSS
04-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Jordan - post defense, he's useless there.
Kareem - soft
Russell - lack of scoring
Bird - health, speed
Kobe - character issues earlier in the career
Duncan - slow, lack of fire
Magic - shooting, defense.
Shaq - freethrows, character issues all throughout his career, huge ego.
Wilt - worst superstar playoff performer of all time
LeBron - soft, defense, first step is slow, can't drive left at an elite level

This forum certainly has it's share of idiots.

ShawkFactory
04-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Let's at least get the FACTS straight, shall we?

It was NOT Wilt's idea to take 40 FGAs per game in '62. It was his COACH's decision. And why? Because in the '61 post-season, Wilt's teammates collectively shot .332 from the field in the first round of the playoffs. His three "HOF" teammates, Paul Arizin, Tom Gola, and Guy Rodgers shot .328, .206, and .368 respectively.

Furthermore, Chamberlain then took that cast of clowns, the core of which was the same LAST PLACE roster that he inherited in his rookie season two years earlier, to a 49-31 record, and thru the first round of the playoffs in '62, and to a game seven, two point loss against the eventual champion, and 60-20 Celtics. Oh, and in that post-season, his teammates collectively shot .354, and to make it even more laughable, .345 in the EDF's. Now you explain to all of us here just how the hell Wilt accomplished that.
You kinda just proved my point. He was on a scrub team and was an amazing player...taking 40 shots a game.

You don't have to take any non God-like statement about Wilt as disrespect.

1987_Lakers
04-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Jordan - 3 point shooting
Kareem - Defense/rebounding dropped considerably as he aged
Hakeem - Underachieved a few seasons while in his prime
Kobe - Gets away from team ball at times
Shaq - Lazy, bad FT shooter, never considered a defensive force even though he had the tools
Russell - Offensive game. Free throws
Wilt - Free throws, underperformed in the postseason
Magic - Defense
Bird - man to man defense, athletic ability
Duncan - Tough one, I guess he takes jumpers that don't go in at times.
LeBron - Jumper can disappear at times.

3ball
04-04-2015, 05:33 PM
In his 50 PPG season he took FORTY shots per game. With 17 free throws.

a lot of people think ANY player can take a lot of shots if the coach lets them - this isn't true.. it takes ABILITY to get shots off - a player that can get off 40 shots per game and shoot 50% is GOAT.. period.

if you told 1987 Jordan to take 40 shots per game instead of the 28 he took that season, he would have shot 35% instead of 50%.

here's another example: lebron shoots 50% this year on 19 shots per game - if you told him to double his shot attempts and take 40, he would shoot 25%.

that's why i never respected lebron's 57% FG the last two seasons - he only took 17 shots per game - if 1988 Jordan only took 17 shots per game instead of 24, he shoots 64% instead of the 54% he shot that season.

it's intuitive.

SexSymbol
04-04-2015, 06:42 PM
This forum certainly has it's share of idiots.
Irony.
Stop with your bullshit wilt agenda, facts speak for themselves

ShawkFactory
04-04-2015, 08:45 PM
a lot of people think ANY player can take a lot of shots if the coach lets them - this isn't true.. it takes ABILITY to get shots off - a player that can get off 40 shots per game and shoot 50% is GOAT.. period.

if you told 1987 Jordan to take 40 shots per game instead of the 28 he took that season, he would have shot 35% instead of 50%.

here's another example: lebron shoots 50% this year on 19 shots per game - if you told him to double his shot attempts and take 40, he would shoot 25%.

that's why i never respected lebron's 57% FG the last two seasons - he only took 17 shots per game - if 1988 Jordan only took 17 shots per game instead of 24, he shoots 64% instead of the 54% he shot that season.

it's intuitive.
So you think somebody like Hakeem in 1962 wouldn't be able to get off 40 shits effectively.

keep-itreal
04-11-2015, 03:14 AM
Laugh all you want, just shows your lack of knowledge.

He's a goat level defender. Near goat rebounder, and goat intangibles.

I could name 10-15 people off the top of my head that were better scorers.

HAAHAHHAA

AHAHAHAHAHHAHA

AAHHAHAHAAAAHAHAHA

keep-itreal
04-11-2015, 03:16 AM

BRUH

AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAA :roll: :roll:

knicksman
04-11-2015, 04:39 AM

Youre talking with shawkfactory bro. Dumbest on this board

ImKobe
04-11-2015, 04:46 AM
Jordan - inconsistent 3pt shot
Kareem - rebounding in his later years
Magic - defense, but the system was built on high-octane scoring
Bird - athleticism?
Kobe - too much chucking
Duncan - aggression
Shaq - FT shooting and conditioning\nutrition
Hakeem - too aggressive at times, defensive lapses
Lebron - 4th quarter, NBA Finals
Wilt - FT shooting, NBA Finals

Kobe_6/8
04-11-2015, 05:37 AM

Tiny pecker
Only has 4.5 rings in a weak era
3. Wilt- free throws
Mental midget
Under 7 feet
Too reckless and injury-prone
HIV
No swag
Chucker
Lazy af
Could never get players to come to Houston
Playing passively like a beta