PDA

View Full Version : Ex-CFO who slammed Chick-fil-A now on foodstamps

MavsSuperFan
04-06-2015, 10:30 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/03/29/adam-smith-chick-fil-a-video-memoir/70629290/

Things haven't gone too well for the former CFO who criticized Chick-fil-A in a video he posted on YouTube.

Unable to find lasting work, 37-year-old Adam Smith is living on food stamps with his wife and four kids in the RV they call home, he tells ABC News. "I think people are scared," Smith says of potential employers. "I think people are scared that it could happen again."

Back in the summer of 2012, as thousands of people were opposing Chick-fil-A's stance on gays, Smith rolled into a Chick-fil-A drive-thru for a free glass of water and slammed the female attendant: "Chick-fil-A is a hateful corporation," Smith told her as he filmed the exchange. "I don't know how you live with yourself and work here. I don't understand it."

Smith posted the video before returning to work at Vante, a Tucson-based medical manufacturer — and the proverbial you-know-what had hit the fan by the time he got there.

The receptionist told him "the voicemail is completely full, and it's full of bomb threats," he says. Fired that day, Smith lost his $200,000 salary and more than $1 million in stock options. He and his family moved to Portland, where he got a CFO job, but lost it two weeks later when they realized who he was.

He says he has since been honest in interviews, but companies have been too wary of fallout to hire him. "I don't regret the stand I took, but I regret… the way I talked to her," an emotional Smith says of the worker.

Video of the incident
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg-jzlWcc0E#t=80

Because of that one video that he posted on youtube
-he was fired from his job that paid $200k and $1 million in stock options.
- He found another job as a CFO, but was fired when they found out he was the guy in the video.
- could not get a job in corporate american since.
-now lives in an RV and is on food stamps. (he had to sell his house)

All because he ****ed up on social media :lol

Jailblazers7
04-06-2015, 11:15 AM
Wow, that guy is a dumbass. But still, it's pretty crazy to have your life ruined because you were an asshole at a drive-thru once.

Bandito
04-06-2015, 11:20 AM
One of the reasons I just stop posting anything negative about the military. Last time I comment on something got my arse chewed and got on their radar since then.

Jailblazers7
04-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Pretty sure he was an asshole most of his life

Just was also dumb enough to post himself being an asshole once

I'm not defending what he did at all but I do think it's ridiculous that it's to the point where he can't get a job because companies are worried about getting bomb threats called in.

Sure he's an idiot and should have known better but damn.

ace23
04-06-2015, 12:12 PM
I see nothing wrong with that video from the 80-second mark on. Don't know what the big deal is.

gts
04-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Shoot yourself in the foot it's going to hurt...

The guy is a total idiot... it's one thing to be an asshole, everyone has that moment but to be so egotistical to think your being an asshole is something to share with the world and expect no long term repercussions... :lol

Maybe he can get a job working the chick-fil-a drivethru window

MavsSuperFan
04-06-2015, 12:39 PM
I'm not defending what he did at all but I do think it's ridiculous that it's to the point where he can't get a job because companies are worried about getting bomb threats called in.

Sure he's an idiot and should have known better but damn.
He basically threw away his whole life with that youtube upload. All of his education and work history was deleted with one video. The power of social media.

If i saw this in a movie I would think its too ridiculous.

he thought he would get props for being pro gay, but he just came off as a rich executive bullying a minimum wage service worker.

Dude was set in life, making $200k in salary + Stock options. Now no corporation will touch him.

Patrick Chewing
04-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Before

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/501cd9e5ecad049b36000001-480/vante-cfo-adam-smith.jpg

After

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/adam-smith-e1427673595107.jpg

Dude looks homeless now. Either that or he's trying out for a role on Grease.

Draz
04-06-2015, 02:48 PM
He was a CFO?! He had to have been making more than 200k. Easily they make 300-500k Jesus what an idiot

Akrazotile
04-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Whole thing sounds extremely iffy.

200k in salary and now hes living in a trailer?

And its not as if he was just any old guy making good money. He was literally a professional financial manager. And now hes got his family living in a trailer and receiving food stamps?

Sounds absolutely bogus. He could easily get a managing job with liberal nonprofits at the very least with his qualifications.

Joyner82reload
04-06-2015, 03:30 PM
He was a CFO?! He had to have been making more than 200k. Easily they make 300-500k Jesus what an idiot

You do realize that a CFO's salary is determinate based on several factors, correct? The CFO at a 50 person company isn't making anything in the same atmosphere as say the CFO of Apple.

Draz
04-06-2015, 03:35 PM
You do realize that a CFO's salary is determinate based on several factors, correct? The CFO at a 50 person company isn't making anything in the same atmosphere as say the CFO of Apple.
Yeah of course. That position is respectfully honored. He could of made moves to higher companies making that wage as he progressed. But easily most of them make that in half of a year.

Joyner82reload
04-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Yeah of course. That position is respectfully honored. He could of made moves to higher companies making that wage as he progressed. But easily most of them make that in half of a year.

Not really. The average CFO salary, while very lucrative, is nowhere near as high as you assume. And the numbers are skewed substantially due to those CFO's pulling in 10-50 million a year.

The CFO of a typical, non multi-billion dollar, company makes between 100-300k

dunksby
04-06-2015, 03:39 PM
The real question is how a dumbass got that job?

Joyner82reload
04-06-2015, 03:44 PM
It is moderately amusing that his guy is now living in an RV yet he was the CFO of this company. Given his salary, and the fact he had been the CFO for several years, he must have had terrible management of his personal finances and was probably living paycheck to paycheck. Hell it takes something like 2 years to have your house foreclosed for nonpayment.

Joyner82reload
04-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Either that or the guy realized he wouldn't have another job again, so he did the math and found he could survive off his savings without working if he lived out of a rv the rest of his life.

By age 35, with that salary, he should have had his mortgage paid off and over half of his retirement secured. He should have easily been able to find employment making 50k a year for a small financial company which would have more than enough to account for his property taxes and living expenses. The guy is clearly a grade A dumbass. This would be like an oncologist developing cancer and allowing it to progress to stage 4 before acknowledging it.

dazzer87
04-06-2015, 03:56 PM
BS hes on foodstamps.....CFO with a salary of 200k and 1 million in stocks.......:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Joyner82reload
04-06-2015, 03:58 PM
BS hes on foodstamps.....CFO with a salary of 200k and 1 million in stocks.......:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not sure why you find that so hard to believe outside of him being a CFO. Professional athletes make 10-50X that a year and something like 80% of them are broke 5 years out of the league. You would hope he would have excellent financial management, but that isn't his job. His personal finances are his own doing.

dazzer87
04-06-2015, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure why you find that so hard to believe outside of him being a CFO. Professional athletes make 10-50X that a year and something like 80% of them are broke 5 years out of the league. You would hope he would have excellent financial management, but that isn't his job. His personal finances are his own doing.
Okay its been what 3 years and hes broke and on foodstamps????????

He had 1 million in options just say the stock are worth $25.00 (which is at the low end, dont know whats it was worth back in 2012) thats comes out to 25 million. Probably had a house, car, saving,etc,etc,etc.........

You shouldnt believe everything you read on the net.........

KingBeasley08
04-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Lmao what a dumbass. Dude made a lot of money but he probably spent a lot too. This is called horrible money management

HitandRun Reggie
04-06-2015, 04:33 PM
I wonder if even in the furthest depths of his imagination, could he have envisioned the Chick-fil-A cashier making more than him 3 years later because of the video he posted.

Draz
04-06-2015, 04:44 PM
I wonder if even in the furthest depths of his imagination, could he have envisioned the Chick-fil-A cashier making more than him 3 years later because of the video he posted.
That's probably the funniest thing of it all. Asking her why she's working there. Like she has a choice. Now he's probably applying for her position lol.

longtime lurker
04-06-2015, 06:22 PM
This is hilarious. The guy gets what he deserved for being an absolute douchebag. Funny that in this case I don't see "liberals" coming to his defense, but imagine if this idiot had went on an anti gay rant. He'd have unconditional support and probably raised over 1 million dollars.

warriorfan
04-06-2015, 06:23 PM
how did this cat become a CFO in the firstplace? :lol

bluechox2
04-06-2015, 06:29 PM
chiick fil a has the best fast food burgers

qrich
04-06-2015, 06:32 PM

That, plus she probably getting food stamps too :roll:

chiick fil a has the best fast food burgers

http://tdhurst.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/in-n-out_burger.jpg

http://www.monkeyburgerrestaurant.com/images/mattiesmonkey.jpg
(Monkey Burger, local chain)

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/whataburger.jpg

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/usc/blog/Fatburger.jpg

Draz
04-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Didn't honestly know what chick fill a was until today

ALBballer
04-06-2015, 07:35 PM
I don't feel that bad for the guy. He was making 200k-500k, and had 1 million in stock option and if he spent all of that money and never thought to save and invest some of it then he deserves most of the blame. Even more astounding he was a CFO and mishandled his money so poorly.

I can find some empathy for lower income people hitting rock bottom but this guy deserves little pity.