PDA

View Full Version : ELI5: Why has no one else ever perfected the Sky Hook?

Westbrook0
04-07-2015, 04:05 PM
If that move was so unstoppable, how come no one else uses it these days?

JerrySeinfeld
04-07-2015, 04:27 PM
kids won't even stay longer than a year in college to develop a post game and you want them to develop a sky hook?

it ain't what the league is about now. instead they are teaching guys how to hit elbow jumpers, corner 3's, etc.

ImKobe
04-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Well, Kobe used to do it quite often IIRC.

Genaro
04-07-2015, 04:55 PM
It's not easy, it takes a lot of time to dominate it. It's much easier to master a face up jump shot.

inclinerator
04-07-2015, 05:09 PM
yao ming did it

AkronAngel
04-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Plenty have practiced it, but I think it must take a lot more dedication in practicing it than most are willing to put in. Some guys would rather learn 3-4 moves in the time it likely takes to get even decent at a legit sky hook.

Taller than CP3
04-07-2015, 05:45 PM
it's outdated and takes too long to learn. higher degree of difficulty. why spend all that time trying to master it when you can just develop a deadly face up jump shot in half the time like Dirk.

oarabbus
04-07-2015, 06:34 PM
I don't buy this shit "it's too hard to learn they just can't learn it" that everyone's talking about. It's HARD for a non-shooter to develop a 3 point shot. It's HARD to shoot excellent free throws. Plenty of things in basketball are hard yet people learn them all the time.

These are professional athletes being paid often upwards of $10 million. If you can't learn a ****ing sky hook for 10 mil you wouldn't be in the league.

The real reason is that the sky hook is only a viable move for a mobile 7 footer. The sky hook is not unstoppable if you're 6'3" or 6'6" or even 6'8". It's only unstoppable if you are pushing 7' tall. And it's not very useful most of the time if you aren't mobile. Young Dirk could have certainly perfected a skyhook when he was younger, but he decided to focus on shooting and his Dirk shot is arguably just as unstoppable as the skyhook. Nothing "magical" about the skyhook, other than Kareem was incredibly mobile and fluid and so he perfected that shot. He couldn't shoot for shit like Dirk can, but he could skyhook like a mf. Hakeem had a solid hook shot however he had so many other go to moves (particularly the dream shake) that it wasn't necessary to only do a skyhook. Shaq had the power and the footwork.

There's nothing magical about the skyhook that makes it "more unstoppable" than a MDE Shaq in the paint or a Dirk fadeaway, they are all unstoppable in the hands of a skilled giant.

iznogood
04-07-2015, 07:51 PM
In my opinion a jump hook is more apropriate shot in most of the situations. It gives you options of counter moves (either up or under or reverse pivot) and allows you to keep better balance when finishing through contact. It also enables you to finish easier after completing a power dribble.
I do think players should learn and practice both though.

RonSwanson
04-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Karl Towns has perfected the baby hook at least. He's going to tear through the league

MP.Trey
04-07-2015, 07:54 PM
yao ming did it
Show me one clip. Yao is one of my favorite players and I've never seen him sky hook, he did have a dominant "jump" hook though. Perfect high release, unblockable.

iznogood
04-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Karl Towns has perfected the baby hook at least. He's going to tear through the league
I've seen him finish with sweeping sky hooks as well. He's got a nice touch.