PDA

View Full Version : Why do analysts always HAVE to use white players for white guy "pro comparisons"

JerrySeinfeld
04-07-2015, 04:11 PM
go to espn's nba page... they are calling sam dekker a "kyle singler" type of player who can be "gordon hayward" at best

why do they always have to compare white players to other white pros?

Nowitness
04-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Because white is a mentality, black is a style :confusedshrug:

Nikola_
04-07-2015, 04:14 PM
Harden was compared to ginobili couple of years ago

JerrySeinfeld
04-07-2015, 04:14 PM
I mean jus look at this shit, look at this ****** pro comparison...

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/adam-morrison

:facepalm

el gringos
04-07-2015, 04:16 PM
Harden was compared to ginobili couple of years ago
Right. Well that's the other comparison that has not a lot of imagination. They always seem to compare a lefty to other lefties. The comparisons you see most for d' Angelo Russell? Manu and harden

kshutts1
04-07-2015, 04:17 PM
Racism is alive and well, and no one wants to talk about it.

kenny817
04-07-2015, 04:19 PM
Because white is a mentality, black is a style :confusedshrug:

:applause:

kshutts1
04-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Tho to be fair, the vast majority of white wings do play a very similar style. They're traditionally hard-working shooters that lack elite athleticism and instead rely on BBIQ.

White players are, as a whole, decidedly less athletic than the black players. Therefore, they generally need to be above average in BBIQ and skills, like passing and shooting.

I literally can't think of a single white NBA players that just abuses people with speed and athleticism. Arroyo may have been the closest that I can remember, but was he considered white?

Milbuck
04-07-2015, 04:37 PM
A lot of white players do play similarly though, and it's often athleticism based. There are obvious exceptions but for the most part there is a *collective* difference physically and style-wise between white and black players.

Sam is different though, he's a legit physically gifted player. Not like a Wiggins type specimen, but he's no generic unathletic jump shooting white guy. Dude is 6'9", strong, explosive, maybe not the quickest laterally but has fluid athleticism in most respects. At his physical peak he's gonna be very good athlete.

What are better black guy comparisons for Sam?

NustABut
04-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Would it be OK for Sam Dekker be compared to Chandler Parsons?

Is that racist or are they similar?

24-Inch_Chrome
04-07-2015, 04:42 PM
When Grayson Allen enters the draft after next year it'll be nothing but MJ comparisons. He'll be a trendsetter.

avonbarksdale
04-07-2015, 04:45 PM
because white guys all generally less athletic than black players and usually play a similar game?

Genaro
04-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Yep, always like this: American whites are compare with American whites, blacks with blacks and international white players with international white players.
Unless you're left cause then you can be compare with every other left. Dlo for instance it's always Manu, Harden or Dragic. Though I've seen some Curry too.

D-FENS
04-07-2015, 05:16 PM
A lot of white players do play similarly though, and it's often athleticism based. There are obvious exceptions but for the most part there is a *collective* difference physically and style-wise between white and black players.

Sam is different though, he's a legit physically gifted player. Not like a Wiggins type specimen, but he's no generic unathletic jump shooting white guy. Dude is 6'9", strong, explosive, maybe not the quickest laterally but has fluid athleticism in most respects. At his physical peak he's gonna be very good athlete.

What are better black guy comparisons for Sam?

So you're saying he's more of a Chase Budinger type? :D

rlsmooth775
04-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Because whites are inferior.

AkronAngel
04-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Because racism.

kurple
04-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Right. Well that's the other comparison that has not a lot of imagination. They always seem to compare a lefty to other lefties. The comparisons you see most for d' Angelo Russell? Manu and harden
harden compared himself to manu and paul pierce

AkronAngel
04-07-2015, 05:54 PM
harden compared himself to manu and paul pierce

That is actually very accurate. A mixture of clutch Js, and drives with flops.

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/684/131/HardenFlop_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20110227/all/l5044317.jpg

ralph_i_el
04-07-2015, 06:03 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. I feel like white players are often stylistically similar, even if their actual skill sets could easily be compared to black players instead if stylistic differences were ignored.

christian1923
04-07-2015, 06:07 PM
When Grayson Allen enters the draft after next year it'll be nothing but MJ comparisons. He'll be a trendsetter.
Grayson Allen is america's white hope

oarabbus
04-07-2015, 06:40 PM
because white guys all generally less athletic than black players and usually play a similar game?

Yes generally, but Dekker is very athletic.

Would it be OK for Sam Dekker be compared to Chandler Parsons?

Is that racist or are they similar?

I've heard people compare Aaron Harrison with Chandler Parsons (good at cutting and can hit 3s, handle a bit, but not able to handle quite on the level of a Hayward/Batum/Iggy). I can see the Dekker-Parsons comparisons. A few people tried to compare Dekker to Ariza but I don't know how much I see that, Ariza is a much better defender and is a machine at the set 3pt shot.

stephanieg
04-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Because there's never been a white version of Jordan, LeBron, Shaq, David Robinson, Magic, and so on. Probably the best black player to play with subpar athleticism is Duncan, and he wasn't so slow footed back in the day.

Manu is probably the blackest white perimeter player, especially in his long hair days.

oarabbus
04-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Because there's never been a white version of Jordan, LeBron, Shaq, David Robinson, Magic, and so on. Probably the best black player to play with subpar athleticism is Duncan, and he wasn't so slow footed back in the day.

Manu is probably the blackest white perimeter player, especially in his long hair days.

https://nbcprobasketballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/jason-williams.jpg

^dude was blacker than 99% of black players

J Shuttlesworth
04-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Hey Russ what happened to your old account? Is it perma banned?

longtime lurker
04-07-2015, 07:40 PM
It's because of pure laziness

Dasher
04-07-2015, 08:23 PM
It's part racism, and part laziness. I'm happy we've finally gotten away from comparing all white power forwards to Larry Bird. There was a point where Joe Alexander was getting Bird comparisons.

stanlove1111
04-07-2015, 10:10 PM
go to espn's nba page... they are calling sam dekker a "kyle singler" type of player who can be "gordon hayward" at best

why do they always have to compare white players to other white pros?

Your leave something out. Your objection means nothing at all unless you tell us who you would have compared him to before Singer.

305Baller
04-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Bird or Dirk?