PDA

View Full Version : ☆2015 Lakers Draft Thread ☆ Drafts D'Angelo Russell at #2

daily
04-07-2015, 04:30 PM
As of today one Laker loss or one Sacramento win guarantees the Lakers will finish with a bottom 5 record. They'll probably finish in the bottom 4 as Orlando has 4 more wins than the Lakers.

Early Entry Deadline for players is April 27
The Draft Lottery is usually held in mid May
the Draft itself will be June 25th

gts
04-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Don't know the exact numbers, i'm doing this from memory but something like they have a 10% chance of getting the top pick and a 80% chance of staying in the top 5 from their current placing

They also have Houston's first round pick which will be late first round and 1 possibly 2 second round picks depending on where the Clippers finish, I think we need Clipps to lose enough games where their second round pick falls between 51 and 55

tamaraw08
04-08-2015, 01:25 AM
Don't know the exact numbers, i'm doing this from memory but something like they have a 10% chance of getting the top pick and a 80% chance of staying in the top 5 from their current placing

They also have Houston's first round pick which will be late first round and 1 possibly 2 second round picks depending on where the Clippers finish, I think we need Clipps to lose enough games where their second round pick falls between 51 and 55

Great info, thanks
Keeping an eye on the valuable Houston pick too.
Who will be there? Andrew Harrison? One of Gonzaga's frontline?

ihatetimthomas
04-08-2015, 02:59 AM
They have 82.2% keeping the pick in their current 4th spot. If they dropped to 5th, it goes down to a staggering 55.3%. If they got the 3rd spot, they would have 96% keeping their pick. Now it looks like likely keep the 4th spot, but if they lose their pick, those 2 wins over the sixers will be haunting

bladefd
04-08-2015, 06:50 PM
They have 82.2% keeping the pick in their current 4th spot. If they dropped to 5th, it goes down to a staggering 55.3%. If they got the 3rd spot, they would have 96% keeping their pick. Now it looks like likely keep the 4th spot, but if they lose their pick, those 2 wins over the sixers will be haunting

Don't worry, order will come down from top to lose those games. It doesn't even have to be obvious. Whoever is playing the 3rd best that night, bench them. The small things, such as rotation "tweaks", would be very difficult to spot, but it would be enough for that extra L.

Ofc, Sixers will get same orders. These last few games will be to see which team is better... AT LOSING! :lol

gts
04-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Orlando beat the Bulls tonight, Lakers down by a bucket load in Denver on the second night of a back to back, if Lakers lose The Magic will be 5 games ahead of the Lakers in the win column with only 4 games to go. Looks like they'll have the 4th worst record at seasons end..

The 76ers only have to lose one game in their last 3 to lock into 3rd

kkinchen
04-11-2015, 03:17 PM
First string. Rondo/Bryant/Young/Randle/M. Gasol
Second string. Clarkson/Brown/Johnson/Kelly/Black
Reserves. Mudiay/Ellington/E. Davis/J. Hill

kkinchen
04-11-2015, 03:24 PM

Best rebounding team ever.

gts
04-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Lakers second first round pick from the Lin trade will be the 27th after the tie breakers are put in place

dd24
04-17-2015, 08:45 PM
Lakers second first round pick from the Lin trade will be the 27th after the tie breakers are put in place
I just saw that too. That's another reason why I don't like the idea of the Lakers potentially trading out of the top 4 and moving down (if the ping pong balls fall right). I like being in the top 4 especially since there's 4 guys who should all be good. Then use that late first rounder on a guy with some promise.

ZeN
04-18-2015, 01:10 AM
We got a shot at Love but Gasol The Tank ain't coming over...Particularly if Pau give him an earfull about the media treatment down here in LA..lol

Mgamer20o0
04-18-2015, 07:00 PM
i hope they at least look into buying picks this year if someone is selling.

daily
04-19-2015, 12:33 AM
We got a shot at Love but Gasol The Tank ain't coming over...Particularly if Pau give him an earfull about the media treatment down here in LA..lol

He's got a good thing going for himself in Memphis. He won't leave that

RepMe
04-19-2015, 06:53 AM

I think they make a run at Love and Rondo.

dd24
04-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Yeah I think Rondo is the guy they're going for. Love would be nice but with Randle here it doesn't make a ton of sense. I'm also not sure he's necessarily a max contract kind of guy anymore.

gts
04-19-2015, 06:45 PM
Still on the fence about Rondo... he's good no doubt but i kinda feel like he's good with a limited group of players.. what worked in boston was almost a perfect storm for rondo

you had KG a player definitely on the downside of his career but still not far off his peak, ray allen a real talent looking for a ring and pierce a guy who was happy to finally get some help

the big three had the inside, perimeter and mid range paint covered each being an allstar level player at his position, it would have been kind of hard for rondo to screw it up and the three older guys were happy to let rondo do the heavy lifting..

all of the big edthree are not ball in hand guys, they all play better off the ball finding the open spot and letting Rondo bring the play to them although all three were more than adept at making a play with the ball when it was needed and along with rondo they were a dynamic defensive group.. that was a strong defensive starting unit and ...

We've seen Rondo now enough since then and that has not been replicated, even in Dallas where you do have a similar mix of vets and youth Rondo hasn't been anywhere close to recapturing that mojo he had in Boston

I wouldn't scoff at Rondo on the team but i think he's more of a final piece to the puzzle and not a player you base a team on.. he's kind of harder to build around

bladefd
04-20-2015, 11:54 PM
I agree with you, gts.

I was never sold on Rondo myself. He is very good defensive player and has versatile game, but he could never shoot. If he has not developed a shot by now in his first 8 years in nba, he never will. He is an offensive liability. Yes, Kobe did respond with 'defense wins championship', but which team has built & won a championship with garbage offense in draft era? None.

Plus, it is not like Kobe is a lights out shooter. When neither of your guards can shoot well (with one lacking any kind of shot at all), it is a recipe for disaster. It worked with Boston because Ray Allen was consistent lights out shooter that could spread the floor. That allowed Rondo to get space to drive into the paint.

Then you factor in his massive ego and character issues. Will that become a problem as it has been in the past? Ray Allen, Doc Rivers, others have mentioned it. Sorry, I don't have high hopes for Rondo. I know Kobe is pushing Lakers to sign Rondo, but I think that would be a mistake. I think Kobe is a bad judge of talent like Michael Jordan was as a GM for Wizards and owner (he has gotten better last couple years).

magictricked
04-22-2015, 12:35 AM
No thank you on Rondo unless he steps up his game. Maybe being somewhere where he wants to be would help but who knows

ihatetimthomas
04-22-2015, 05:32 PM
After his time in Dallas, I would not want him at all. Why would the Lakers gamble on this guy? He is not the same player before he tore his ACL. He is living off his reputation as a playoff performer. His D is not what it was. He will always be able to be a playmaker as the primary ball handler but overall, he has declined a lot.

He has basically quit on the Mavs, and if the going gets tough in LA (which is a good chance), I wouldn't expect him to lead a young team and be a good leader.

If they get Rondo, all they are doing is appeasing Kobe for his final season and that would show you how backwards this team is being ran.

dd24
04-22-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Rondo may have played his way out of a max deal. He might just be taking a short contract until that new CBA comes up. He still may be worth the gamble with a shorter cheaper contract. I want to see how the top 4 of the draft lines up though. If the Lakers end up in a spot where they have to take Mudiay or Russell it's not going to make a lot of sense to bring in Rondo.

gts
04-23-2015, 01:39 PM
I'm pretty sure Rondo may have played his way out of a max deal. He might just be taking a short contract until that new CBA comes up. He still may be worth the gamble with a shorter cheaper contract. I want to see how the top 4 of the draft lines up though. If the Lakers end up in a spot where they have to take Mudiay or Russell it's not going to make a lot of sense to bring in Rondo.

Draft will definitely determine how or should or if the Lakers go after Rondo... Doubt they'll be making the decision based on what happened in Dallas.. Rondo isn't the first player to butt heads with Carlisle, in hindsight it was probably never a good idea...

you could see what they wanted from Rondo but they never gave him the tools to succeed.. can't bring in a guy who's strongest point is being creative with the ball on the fly reading defenses and reacting then demand he only runs the set plays the coach wants then complain he's not living up to what you expected...

This was basically Cuban thinking he's more clever than than everyone else by trying to fit a square peg in a round hole again...

dd24
04-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Draft will definitely determine how or should or if the Lakers go after Rondo... Doubt they'll be making the decision based on what happened in Dallas.. Rondo isn't the first player to butt heads with Carlisle, in hindsight it was probably never a good idea...

you could see what they wanted from Rondo but they never gave him the tools to succeed.. can't bring in a guy who's strongest point is being creative with the ball on the fly reading defenses and reacting then demand he only runs the set plays the coach wants then complain he's not living up to what you expected...

This was basically Cuban thinking he's more clever than than everyone else by trying to fit a square peg in a round hole again...
Right, I do think Rondo is better than what his play in Dallas showed. I also think he might be a step slower now and for a guy who could never shoot now that he can't finish at the rim the same it's more risky. I think at the right price he's still an asset though. The PG position is the most important in basketball. If he didn't have a huge contract and it wasn't working out there would for sure be a team that would take a gamble on him and make a trade. It's much like what teams do to try to find a QB in football.

gts
04-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Right, I do think Rondo is better than what his play in Dallas showed. I also think he might be a step slower now and for a guy who could never shoot now that he can't finish at the rim the same it's more risky. I think at the right price he's still an asset though. The PG position is the most important in basketball. If he didn't have a huge contract and it wasn't working out there would for sure be a team that would take a gamble on him and make a trade. It's much like what teams do to try to find a QB in football.yep

i forgot to add what happens with Lin will obviously play a part... I don't think he'll be back but you never know, there are some advantages to him returning at the right price...

this is the 3rd summer of the rebuild, they got the picks, they've found some young guys who look like they have a future in the league and a head coach everyone in the organization seems to be happy with so this summer and next season should be about building some continuity into the team...

we should see a few more long term contracts being put in place too, start moving away from the one year deals plus it will be nice to have what will be considered cheap contracts when the TV money starts rolling in BTW perfect timing by the front office ...

bladefd
04-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Right, I do think Rondo is better than what his play in Dallas showed. I also think he might be a step slower now and for a guy who could never shoot now that he can't finish at the rim the same it's more risky. I think at the right price he's still an asset though. The PG position is the most important in basketball. If he didn't have a huge contract and it wasn't working out there would for sure be a team that would take a gamble on him and make a trade. It's much like what teams do to try to find a QB in football.

I still think the only reason Rondo worked in Boston is because Ray was playing next to him and was lights out shooter. Kobe is not anywhere near as good of a shooter as Ray. Pierce could spread the floor too. KG could step out to 15 feet. Then they had couple shooters off bench. Rondo was the 4th option on that team. In LA, much more would be asked of him than Boston or the Mavs.

All the concerns I have with Rondo are on the offensive side. This season and last 2 in boston, he averaged more/equal FG attempts as points per game. He has never averaged more than 64% from FT line (career 60% FT%, which is only 3% better than Dwight). He has no range.

If we could get Rondo for $8 mill a year, only then would I be okay with it. I still cannot see it working. Other teams will stack the box and single cover Kobe & dare him to chuck it up. All they have to do is get Rondo's defender to help defend Kobe because they all know Rondo cannot shoot. They would probably prefer Rondo to shoot anyways! When he doesn't shoot, they will use hack-a-Rondo in 4th quarter to get into Lakers' psyche.

If Rondo can post up more and Kobe could set them up, then there is a possibility. If Young could develop a consistent jumper. Way too many "if's" for my taste. There are better options out there.

TryToBeUnbias
04-26-2015, 11:51 PM
We'll gladly take rondo.

daily
04-28-2015, 11:42 PM
Rondo won't be a priority anymore. Lakers will go after other FAs before they think about him.

I bet they go full court press on Aldrich or a couple of the RFAs like Leonard

dd24
04-29-2015, 01:43 AM
Couldn't they offer the max to LMA and still possibly have enough to sign Rondo? That's why I'm not certain they don't show a bit of interest in him.

gts
04-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Couldn't they offer the max to LMA and still possibly have enough to sign Rondo? That's why I'm not certain they don't show a bit of interest in him.depends on Rondo and what he thinks he's worth

Rondo is going to have to do some damage control to his image as a player, he was already branded as a bit of a misfit by some around the league and he didn't do one thing to fix that in dallas and even his strongest supporters have to admit if he did anything he just reinforced what his detractors were already saying...

gts
04-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Rondo won't be a priority anymore. Lakers will go after other FAs before they think about him.

agree... they'll have to time it right because you can only tie up so much in cap space at a time but i can see them targeting LMA right off the bat, depending on the draft of course

dd24
04-29-2015, 03:05 PM
depends on Rondo and what he thinks he's worth

Rondo is going to have to do some damage control to his image as a player, he was already branded as a bit of a misfit by some around the league and he didn't do one thing to fix that in dallas and even his strongest supporters have to admit if he did anything he just reinforced what his detractors were already saying...
If some of these FA's were smart they'd sign short deals until the next CBA comes up and then they could really get paid. I'm not sure the older guys can risk it, but it may be smart. And the Lakers are a place that loves those short term contracts lately...

bladefd
04-29-2015, 07:21 PM

Leonard respects Pop too much to even consider leaving the Spurs imo. I wish we could get Leonard though - he is 3rd best SF already behind only LeBron and KD. If he continues getting better at this pace, he has the potential to exceed even KD (blasphemy but don't doubt it!!) :applause:

bladefd
04-29-2015, 07:32 PM
BTW - what do you guys think of the Kevin Love to LA rumors starting back up?

Personally, I don't think he is somebody you can build a championship contender around like LeBron is. I like his versatility & all around game/rebounding skills, but his mindset is the question-mark.

Plus, what do you do with Julius Randle? It would screw everything up.. Neither he nor Love can play C or SF. You would have to trade Randle unless if you decide to put him in the 2nd unit, but it would mess up his development. You would also not be able to take full advantage of the skills Randle brings to the table by not starting him.

It would have to be Randle OR Love, but not both.

dd24
04-29-2015, 07:46 PM
I think even though it wasn't a great season for Love he's going to stay in Cleveland. I don't see why he would take less money to play for a team that wouldn't make the playoffs. Plus like you said they just drafted Randle. Maybe they could involve him in a sign and trade but it doesn't make a ton of sense.

gts
04-29-2015, 09:14 PM
Leonard respects Pop too much to even consider leaving the Spurs imo. I wish we could get Leonard though - he is 3rd best SF already behind only LeBron and KD. If he continues getting better at this pace, he has the potential to exceed even KD (blasphemy but don't doubt it!!) :applause:

But the thing is how longs is pops going to stay on, plenty of smoke saying he's gone when Duncan is..

Duncan is nearing the end maybe one more year, Manu is fallen off, Parker has clearly peaked and on the downside of his career... All that we have to come to know of the San Antonio Spurs over the last 10 years is basically on it's last legs.

The question is does Leonard want to stick through a rebuild in San Antonio or in another city

Spurs are notoriously cheap, once the attraction of Pops and Duncan are gone what will the organization have to sell

gts
04-29-2015, 09:16 PM
I think even though it wasn't a great season for Love he's going to stay in Cleveland. I don't see why he would take less money to play for a team that wouldn't make the playoffs. Plus like you said they just drafted Randle. Maybe they could involve him in a sign and trade but it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Love has to opt in on the final year... next summer (2016) is when the big money will start to take hold, he'd be a fool to enter free agency this summer.. either a fool or one effing unhappy camper in Cleveland... I bet a box of donuts if he opts out this summer he's not resigning with the cavs

qrich
05-05-2015, 03:35 AM
Stay away from Love unless he takes a paycut. His return from injury sure has cause for concern, but he isn't a guy to build a championship team around unless you have great defense by him.

Rondo will come with some fire and want to prove something but anything over $7 will be an overpay. Need to avoid that at all costs.

A guy I think would be solid would be KJ McDaniels if the Lakers can get him on a cheap four year deal.

Lakers91
05-05-2015, 12:10 PM
BTW - what do you guys think of the Kevin Love to LA rumors starting back up?

Personally, I don't think he is somebody you can build a championship contender around like LeBron is. I like his versatility & all around game/rebounding skills, but his mindset is the question-mark.

Plus, what do you do with Julius Randle? It would screw everything up.. Neither he nor Love can play C or SF. You would have to trade Randle unless if you decide to put him in the 2nd unit, but it would mess up his development. You would also not be able to take full advantage of the skills Randle brings to the table by not starting him.

It would have to be Randle OR Love, but not both.

I don't really know how to multi post but Qrich had it pretty spot on (not a bad suggestion on McDaniels especially if he's cheap).

He could be potentially a second option, but in terms of building a title contender with him as the marquee player or first option...yeah I wouldn't be very confident at all.

I don't really see the point now of going for Love, unless the team thinks that the team can compete for a championship soonish, otherwise it's just throwing a lot of money while he's a very good player at a position where the team already has a good prospect (Randle) anyway, unless they trade Randle, neither can play center (Love's defense at center would be funny to watch..in a bad way albeit). I think the Front office will have to at least look into it but really long term I don't see the point unless it's simply trying to get the best player to follow Kobe as a marketing boost/replace Kobe as the marquee player. Obviously if I had the choice between going for Love or Aldridge I'd go for Aldridge sadly I can't see there being much hope if any for him coming to LA (not as hard to fit in as Love due to being able to play center), that's if the front office go for a 'big fish' in the off season anyway I think everyone would rather it be Aldridge. The team at this rate is in as far as I can see long term rebuild mode, essentially draft picks and players to develop, as far as I'm concerned it's a terrible place to be in where you aren't good enough to make the finals or scrape in (you're not good enough to be a contender or anything but also not so bad you don't get a good draft pick), that's pretty much what I hope doesn't happen (making the playoffs with a developing team is different obviously).

Lakers91
05-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Stay away from Love unless he takes a paycut. His return from injury sure has cause for concern, but he isn't a guy to build a championship team around unless you have great defense by him.

Rondo will come with some fire and want to prove something but anything over $7 will be an overpay. Need to avoid that at all costs.

A guy I think would be solid would be KJ McDaniels if the Lakers can get him on a cheap four year deal.

Why isn't there a thumbs up emoticon here...oh well. :cheers: will have to do.

I can see both sides of things on the whether they go for Rondo. I have concern over Rondo, while I have been a big fan of his (despite his insipid shooting for years), just watching him play since his injury I don't know if it was Dallas (not the best fit) but he looked physically like he'd lost a step and a big one, I just don't think he's a good fit in LA but it seems the Lakers are one of the few interested, I don't really see the point, I don't see him going back to the "Rondo of old" if I'm honest I'm quite skeptical, it may sound odd but if there's a team that are a good fit I could see Rondo on the Bucks or a team like that (most teams can't really afford his potential shooting liabilities especially that he had in Dallas but maybe that was just him giving up I don't know).
On the other hand I think Rondo and Kobe get along well mentally, on court I'm not sure how that will work, both want the ball, Rondo shooting wise is pretty ineffective of it it'd be a fine line for them to mesh on court but if there's someone that could get Rondo back to his old self maybe it is Kobe.

Who is that in your avatar by the way? (I was thinking it was one of the Spanish soccer team players but that could be a terrible guess :oldlol: ).

$LakerGold
05-22-2015, 11:28 PM
Bump

brownmamba00
05-25-2015, 10:41 AM
https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Zpsvo3b2hSW7EeBqK-FVgp2aie4=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3331414/cross3.0.gif

Shade8780
05-26-2015, 05:16 PM
#16, #28, #45 and Jared Sullinger for #2 and Jordan Hill.

You're welcome.

dd24
05-26-2015, 06:27 PM
That sounds like a terrible deal for the Lakers.

daily
05-27-2015, 12:24 AM
#16, #28, #45 and Jared Sullinger for #2 and Jordan Hill.

You're welcome.:wtf:

magicmanfan
06-13-2015, 11:03 AM
Idea to debate:

I love Emmanuel Mudiay, I would draft him #2.

Then use our cap space to bring in Greg Monroe and Tobias Harris.

With Julius Randle healthy, our starting lineup is:

Emmanuel Mudiay
Kobe
Tobias Harris
Julius Randle
Greg Monroe

The bench could be pretty deep.... Clarkson, Young, Black, Brown, +++++

I like this team because of their competitiveness.... Mudiay, Kobe, Harris,
are all scrappers..... Randle and Monroe are young and improving...

When the cap increases in 2016, we have Kobe's money and the increase
to replace Kobe..... 2016 we have a deep young team.....

:confusedshrug:

dd24
06-13-2015, 02:59 PM
I've often wondered if the Lakers have thought about drafting one of the guards for that reason too. In free agency it's most likely the majority of the good players will stay with their teams. Greg Monroe is one of the few that will probably walk. He's also one that the Lakers have a decent chance at. But by drafting Okafur they probably wouldn't. I still think it's too tough to pass up on Okafur or Towns though. I'm guessing the Knicks will have to draft a guard and then they'll take a chance at going after Monroe.

bladefd
06-13-2015, 03:40 PM
If we get a guard, I'd rather get Russel than Mudiay. Russel is a great shooter that can also play the point -- these sort of combo-guards are very hard to find.

The thing with great centers is you can often directly stick them into starting lineup and get good performance off the bat.

PGs take longer to develop as they have to get used to the change because they would have the ball for long periods to make stuff happen + they would defend another primary ball-handler. That takes time to develop & gain confidence -- it's also why PG is a more important position overall than C.

If you want instant difference-maker that you just plug into lineup then you get a center.

brandonislegend
06-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Russell = Brandon Roy

magicmanfan
06-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Russell = Brandon Roy

Emmanuel Mudiay seems closer to Brandon Roy.... Powerful,
take it to the hole type of player.... gets low to defend.....

Russel is a cross between Nick the Quick and Jalen Rose...
His passing ability could be the critical factor....

:confusedshrug:

crisoner
06-18-2015, 03:16 AM
We need a big......
We need two bigs to be correct.

Draft a defensive rim protector and get a scorer

brandonislegend
06-18-2015, 03:39 AM
We need a big......
We need two bigs to be correct.

Draft a defensive rim protector and get a scorer

We need everything. Honestly other than Randle (big) and maybe Clarkson (might have been a fluke) who else do we have worth mentioning?

dd24
06-18-2015, 09:16 AM
I think to compete in the West right now the Lakers need guards more than bigs. Of course, if they could manage to land Jimmy Butler then it kind of changes everything.

ihatetimthomas
06-18-2015, 06:49 PM
I feel like Russell could end up being the best player in the draft. He has it all, passing, scoring, range. I kind of want them to get him but I dont see them passing up on Okafor. The game has changed and perimeter players seem to dominate but its tough to pass up on a big touted as one of the most skilled offensively in some time. So I get why they will most likely get Okafor.

Okafor came into workouts in better shape than expected, seems like a good kid and wants to be here. Proven champion and highly skilled. While I like Russell, no problem with Okafor.

bladefd
06-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Lakers are giving Mudiay a 2nd tryout, which means...

a) He was a bust in first tryout so they want to give him 2nd chance
b) He was spectacular and they want to ask him to try out a few different things

I'm leaning towards 'a'. If he was great, what else would they want to try? :confusedshrug:

ihatetimthomas
06-18-2015, 09:18 PM
They are also giving 2nd workouts to Russell and Okafor. So I think it's a matter of just wanting to make sure they see everything they need to make the pick. This draft is going to dictate a lot of the Lakers future. They are probably just getting one last look at all the guys they may pick.

bladefd
06-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Another possibility I have seen thrown out there is Porzingis. He is a Gasol-type player. He can play some center, but you don't want him starting at center.

Very smooth with the ball and range out to 3pt line like a guard. Great passer, good at dribbling, pretty good rim-protector as he has very long arms/wingspan. He is weak though if you put him at center for long periods - just like Gasol, he is not a center.

I think Knicks will draft Porzingis. He is perfect for Phil Jackson triangle-offense. Not for us though - we already have Randle. His game complements Randle perfectly, but Porzingis would need to add 30-40 pounds for it to work on defensive end. Too many risks.

ihatetimthomas
06-18-2015, 10:02 PM
Porzingis probably is the highest risk/highest reward player of the draft. He has a very versatile skill set. Great mobility for a guy if his size. He has range and natural bball instincts. We can't roll the dice on him but it would be very interesting if we had the 4th pick.

magicmanfan
06-20-2015, 12:09 PM
I feel like Russell could end up being the best player in the draft. He has it all, passing, scoring, range.

Only problem is his lack of effort on D.... Lakerholics.net had this on Russell:

But he can

bladefd
06-20-2015, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=magicmanfan]Only problem is his lack of effort on D.... Lakerholics.net had this on Russell:
But he can

Lakers91
06-21-2015, 08:43 AM
Interesting getting closer to the draft, don't think much has changed despite certain reports, I'd be extremely surprised if Towns or Okafor go anything but 1 and 2 (I am not entirely sure which order but probably Towns first, we get Okafor) I'd be surprised if it's anyone else. Far more intrigue or curiousity about the later pick about who could be taken as far as I see number 2 it's pretty much done deal, whoever the Wolves don't take at center the Lakers do (not really going into strengths or weaknesses of players) just what it looks like.

dd24
06-21-2015, 03:38 PM
Yeah, 1 and 2 are locks. The rest of the draft could go any number of ways. It seems like this year is a lot more fluid than other years.

Lakers91
06-22-2015, 06:57 AM
Yeah, 1 and 2 are locks. The rest of the draft could go any number of ways. It seems like this year is a lot more fluid than other years.

I think most interesting will be where Porzingis lands, I honestly could see the 76ers taking him, but then if they do that they'll probably have to flip Embiid to try and get a guard (Embiid's value for someone who missed his rookie season it wouldn't surprise me if it was still quite high given if he was in this years draft he'd be number 1 without much doubt in my mind anyway). That's what interests me mainly, the 76ers and also Detroit's pick.

magicmanfan
06-22-2015, 12:51 PM

maybe your right..... I think Randle and Okafor is a better front line
than Randle and Hill. We obviously don't resign Hill then.....

:cheers:

bladefd
06-22-2015, 02:55 PM
I know, we knew already, but I will post anyways

[QUOTE]The Minnesota Timberwolves have informed Karl-Anthony Towns that they will select him with the No. 1 pick in Thursday

dd24
06-24-2015, 12:36 AM
The Lakers could draft Russel and throw a ton of money at a guy like Greg Monroe too. Just a thought. I still think they end up with Okafur.

Lakers91
06-24-2015, 02:30 AM
I must admit I find it rather funny, I didn't really think of it before, but when the Knicks were looking likely to be a top 1 or 2 pick there was so much hype about Okafor I remember last year and even until about March or so he was the clear number 1 pick (or at least him and Russell neck and neck)...as soon as it looks like the Lakers get him instead it seems there's so much more negativity, maybe just a pure coincidence but I find it funny that before there was so much hype, then when the team he's likely going to changes the problems in his game are magnified.

Probably coincidence but it seems the gap between KAT and Okafor is made as huge, though I'd slightly prefer Towns there really isn't that much of a gap as overall prospects, they are just very different with what they offer.

dd24
06-24-2015, 02:34 AM
The thing about the Knicks and picking 4th is they're probably going to get their choice of one of the guards they want (probably Mudiay) and then they can offer Monroe the max. That would significantly upgrade their lineup.

Lakers91
06-24-2015, 02:36 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/23/jahlil-okafor-tells-pbt-hes-ready-to-learn-from-kobe-prove-he-can-play-defense/

Though he kind of has to say those things just speaking on his interviews and also what he's said in the past and his childhood etc etc, I really do like his attitude...though I still would prefer Towns slightly, I won't be at all upset with Okafor...one of the two bigman and I'll be very happy. Though him and Randle both have to prove and better their defense.

Lakers91
06-24-2015, 02:38 AM
The thing about the Knicks and picking 4th is they're probably going to get their choice of one of the guards they want (probably Mudiay) and then they can offer Monroe the max. That would significantly upgrade their lineup.

While it's not the worst I think the Knicks were certainly hoping for that at least second pick so they could take one of the bigmen left over (at least from what I had read and heard), but going for a guard and Monroe isn't the worst, it'll be interesting to see how it works out/how they fill out the rest of their roster. You wouldn't think they could get even worse :confusedshrug:

dd24
06-24-2015, 02:43 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/23/jahlil-okafor-tells-pbt-hes-ready-to-learn-from-kobe-prove-he-can-play-defense/

Though he kind of has to say those things just speaking on his interviews and also what he's said in the past and his childhood etc etc, I really do like his attitude...though I still would prefer Towns slightly, I won't be at all upset with Okafor...one of the two bigman and I'll be very happy. Though him and Randle both have to prove and better their defense.
I'll give Okafur this, I do think he saw more double (and even triple) teams in college the Towns did. While Duke did have a very good roster it still wasn't what Kentucky had and Okafur was the one guy that other teams game planned against (also part of the reason I'm not as high on Winslow as others). Okafur still put up very good numbers for a freshman. It's not like he's immediately going to see double teams in the NBA so I'm sure he's going to do just fine. I don't think the Lakers can go wrong picking him. It's just such a guard/wing driven league that it's tough to go big with those first picks now.

Lakers91
06-24-2015, 02:52 AM
I'll give Okafur this, I do think he saw more double (and even triple) teams in college the Towns did. While Duke did have a very good roster it still wasn't what Kentucky had and Okafur was the one guy that other teams game planned against (also part of the reason I'm not as high on Winslow as others). Okafur still put up very good numbers for a freshman. It's not like he's immediately going to see double teams in the NBA so I'm sure he's going to do just fine. I don't think the Lakers can go wrong picking him. It's just such a guard/wing driven league that it's tough to go big with those first picks now.

I didn't watch as much college basketball as I should, it's not shown much on TV here which does bug me but from what I saw he was far more feared at least offensively. Offensively I have little doubt he can produce and get better, rebounding I think his wingspan he'll be fine, my only problem has been is his defense bad because of his frame or effort, if it's effort then you can fix defense, if it's because of his body and him not being agile enough then I guess it's limited how much better he can get (with effort even not being agile you can still be a good defender so maybe I'm being too harsh).

Honestly give me an elite big over an elite guard, it's that simple for me maybe I'm traditional but even in a guard driven league it's an anomaly to win a title with a point as first option (this year Curry would have been the first to lead a title team in scoring...since Billups or Thomas I'm not sure if Billups led the scoring for the Pistons or just won finals MVP), wing well that's different but purely point guard vs center I'll take the elite center over an elite point guard (it's a mismatch having someone with offensive skills like Okafor in today's league as far as I'm concerned rather than it being a weakness there aren't as many good centers I find it a strength when you can get one like him at least offensively whether guard driven or not). His defense has question marks as I said but you just don't see that sort of offense at a young age often at all it's too much to pass up for me just far too much promise (but I do think he needs a good defensive head coach or assistant...if only TT would be willing to go back down to being a defensive assistant :oldlol: ).
I do just think it's easier to get that good point guard in this league there's a lot than it is that elite bigman with skills like Okafor so when he does present that, you take your chance with the bigman and try and get a complimenting piece at point guard, for me you just can't pass up on him, no disrespect intended to the other players but for me at pick 2 it's Okafor then daylight (harsh but it's my opinion not an expert or analysts just mine).

Lakers91
06-24-2015, 03:03 AM

I don't intend for this to be an attack on your comment just for some perspective or more so to illustrate my point:
00; 01 and 02 Lakers: Shaq is the best player, Kobe is the best guard.
03: Spurs, Duncan is the best player, Parker is the second.
04: Pistons, well just a good all around team, Billups was good at point guard, with a great defensive anchor in Wallace.
05: Spurs, Duncan still the best player on that team.
06: Heat beat the Mav's, Wade easily the best player but Shaq still was a complimentary role.
07: Spurs win, Parker is the MVP, Duncan not bad either (sugar that's who I forgot led the team in scoring as a guard).
08: Celtics
09: Lakers
10: Lakers
11: Mavericks
12: Heat
13: Heat
14: Spurs
15: Warriors

The anomaly there is really the Warriors with the point guard as the best player/first option albeit not the finals MVP, and all the others at least had a good player at center or a good bigman, the Mavs in 11 had Chandler for defensive reasons, Dirk was just out of his mind though at PF/C. Even the Heat had Bosh playing center (albeit undersized slightly). I'm not saying the point guard position is bad it's just base it on history, I'll take at centerpiece a center (hopefully what Okafor turns into), simply because there aren't many good centers it's a position you can now exploit, worst comes to worst Clarkson is a point guard with potential, but I am just not one to go for the guard over the center especially when the center has the potential of Okafor (no doubt this post will be brought up in years to come if he flops :oldlol: ). My concern is simply Okafor's defense, but will have to wait and see, I think it's all but certain the FO takes Okafor whether that's to keep him or use in a trade I don't know but I think that's pretty much certain.

dd24
06-24-2015, 03:22 AM
The best wing in the game is Lebron. While some may consider him a big he's still a SF at the end of the day. The Celtics best player was a SF. The Lakers best player was a SG. The Spurs last title their best player was Leonard who is a SF. Golden State just played small ball. Really you can't go back earlier than the Pistons in 04 because that's the team that changed the rules and made the NBA go to this style of play. Although that Detroit team did have the best back court in the league that season with Billups & Hamilton and that's the main reason that team was so good for so long. Sheed took a ton of 3's back in the day too. The next season was Duncan so that's the one I see. Dirk isn't a typical post player. It did take a few seasons for the league to change after they changed those defensive rules though. And that's why now it's the teams that hit the most 3's. Granted I think any team would take someone you can dump the ball under the basket to and get a bucket. I just think it's so crucial to have that guard/wing player that has the ball in their hands.

bladefd
06-24-2015, 03:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13137032

This kid is special. Great passer, great shooter, leaps out of the gym :eek:

bladefd
06-25-2015, 04:38 PM
The more I think about it, the more I believe Lakers are definitely 150% drafting Okafor. Knowing Jim Buss and how badly he pushed Lakers to draft Andrew Bynum back in 06 & how he banked Bynum on becoming a superstar, I'm sorry but the guy wants the center to be the cornerstone of the Lakers team. He is the owner so obviously he has huge pull.

There is zero chance our Lakers draft Russell.

I just hope we don't end up regretting it in 3-4 years. Clippers drafted Griffin over Steph Curry, and that was a mistake.. Famously, the Blazers drafted Sam Bowie over Jordan.. Bunch of center/PF busts were drafted over Kobe.. Olowakandi over Paul Pierce/Vince Carter :roll: Darko Milicic over Carmelo & D-wade.. With the exception of last 5 years, the top 10 picks were majority big-men and many of them busts.

dd24
06-25-2015, 05:14 PM
I guess we'll find out in a few short hours but in the last day there's been a ton of Russell talk at #2. With LMA telling Portland that he will not return and his top choices being LA and San Antonio I could really see the Lakers going small. If they draft Okafur and sign LMA they would pretty much have to trade Randle for a guard or SF. He's not going to become a bigger trade chip just sitting on the bench. I would actually guess the Lakers are pushing hard for Cousins now that LMA has made that announcement.

bladefd
06-25-2015, 07:47 PM
WHOA NICE PICK! RUSSELL OUR NEXT STAR :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

dd24
06-25-2015, 07:49 PM
I like it. Go after another big like LMA now. I think Russell is the way to go. Now lets see if the Sixers get offered the world for Okafur or try to trade for Russell.

bladefd
06-25-2015, 07:49 PM
There is zero chance our Lakers draft Russell.

Boy was I wrong! So glad we got Russell :rockon: :rockon:

dd24
06-25-2015, 07:57 PM
That's gonna be a very tough 3 guard rotation with Kobe, Clarkson, and Russell. You have to figure they go after LMA first and foremost and then Greg Monroe as option B. No more Rondo rumors lol.

ihatetimthomas
06-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Might have snagged the best player in the draft. What this tells me is they think they have a legitimate shot at getting a big through free agency. Aldridge, Love or Monroe can be a laker.

ihatetimthomas
06-25-2015, 08:09 PM
That's gonna be a very tough 3 guard rotation with Kobe, Clarkson, and Russell. You have to figure they go after LMA first and foremost and then Greg Monroe as option B. No more Rondo rumors lol.

Thank god no rondo lol. Thinking about it makes more sense to get Russell bc there are not many great pgs available

dd24
06-25-2015, 08:12 PM
^^ Exactly. Grabbing the guard and having a chance at a big like LMA, Love, or Monroe makes the team competitive this season rather than waiting on another season to rebuild. Plus they still have money to go after KD now right? Kobe's contract drops off and they can make a max offer. Kobe could finally sign a contract for a year or two on the cheaper side of things and maybe have a chance at a ring. Or Kobe retires and they eventually go after Westbrook and have two combo guards in the back court.

dd24
06-25-2015, 08:18 PM
I would also say with the Kings drafting WCS, that means DMC is on his way out.

ihatetimthomas
06-25-2015, 08:40 PM
wonder what the market for him will be if the Lakers are indeed out of the running. Denver? They got mudiay so Lawson should be on the block.

I wonder what 76ers are going to do. They have Noel, embiid and okafor. Time to make some decisions.

Mgamer20o0
06-25-2015, 09:54 PM
i am excited. i want them to do the best they can next season so phily gets the worst possible pick. with several good big men possibly moving in the off season it was smart to pick a guard.

tamaraw08
06-25-2015, 10:24 PM
I'm probably in the minority here but I have reservations about Demarcus Cousin's volatility. He's great when he's happy and getting along with the coach but I have concerns about his attitude when he doesn't get his way.
The tantrums and lack of self control etc.
But I like Kevin Love, I know not a few are not impressed with what happened to him in Cleveland and Minnesotta but this guy can really contribute.
I will focus first on LMA, then Love, then Monroe, one thing I would hate is for the Lakers to give up after a couple denials from FA's.

$LakerGold
06-26-2015, 12:58 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UhOIfO1.jpg

Lakers91
06-26-2015, 06:20 AM
Well I'm indeed surprised, I guess I was happy none the less whoever if it was of the top 3 it wasn't who I wanted first choice but can't exactly be mad, surprised none the less, though I think Aldridge has certainly had an effect on who was picked, seems all but gone from Portland and seems Lakers may be really in the hunt or at least they think they are.

Lakers91
06-26-2015, 06:21 AM
wonder what the market for him will be if the Lakers are indeed out of the running. Denver? They got mudiay so Lawson should be on the block.

I wonder what 76ers are going to do. They have Noel, embiid and okafor. Time to make some decisions.

Well the Lakers kind of stuffed their plans to shore up the point guard position now they're kind of in an odd situation, the smarter thing would probably be to trade one of them (I'm guessing Embiid based on injuries) for a guard because he still should have value even with his injury history. Or maybe they will just go with a three headed dragon at Center/power forward and flip them around I don't know :oldlol:

tamaraw08
06-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Well the Lakers kind of stuffed their(Sixers) plans to shore up the point guard position now they're kind of in an odd situation, the smarter thing would probably be to trade one of them (I'm guessing Embiid based on injuries) for a guard because he still should have value even with his injury history. Or maybe they will just go with a three headed dragon at Center/power forward and flip them around I don't know :oldlol:

When they traded MCW, arguably their best PG the past 2 years, they could have recieved Brandon Knight and his 18 pts/game but instead they chose to get a pick instead. So many are screaming that Mudiay was the best PG and he was available and yet they chose another big man. Maybe, they just want to suck for 2-5 more years and get more picks?:confusedshrug:
I think they can do this over and over and theres no rule to prevent them from doing so.

tamaraw08
06-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Well I'm indeed surprised, I guess I was happy none the less whoever if it was of the top 3 it wasn't who I wanted first choice but can't exactly be mad, surprised none the less, though I think Aldridge has certainly had an effect on who was picked, seems all but gone from Portland and seems Lakers may be really in the hunt or at least they think they are.

I think not just Aldridge but Love also opted out 1 or 2 days before the draft.
In essense, if LMA says no, there are other options like Kevin, Monroe, Marc etc. Also, they still hold an option on Jordan Hill, he may not be allstar but I think he is good enough to fulfill a role of a defender/rebounder.

Lakers91
06-26-2015, 12:02 PM
I think not just Aldridge but Love also opted out 1 or 2 days before the draft.
In essense, if LMA says no, there are other options like Kevin, Monroe, Marc etc. Also, they still hold an option on Jordan Hill, he may not be allstar but I think he is good enough to fulfill a role of a defender/rebounder.

Yeah Love opted out as well, though I can see him returning to Cleveland (I think he just opens up more problems as to what to do with Randle if the team gets Love), Aldridge has the body and strength to play center pretty good (or at least enough so that Randle can play power forward). I somehow am guessing New York may throw a bit of money (more than I'd want) at Monroe, there's other options of course but as far as who I'd want it'd be him then daylight for me anyway and I'd probably think for most. Though I must admit if the team gets a power forward even though he's been injured (though I'm sure if he's up for trade other teams will probably offer more) would be interesting to try and organise a sign and trade with Philadelphia for Embiid but I doubt Randle would be enough (despite injury risks for Embiid both I guess have injury concerns albeit). Must admit it's funny to think in terms of the 76ers, just according to all reports Lakers will take an inside big leaving the player they'd love to have and could use Russell then blindsided and they've got basically now a cluster of talented bigmen.

Interesting off-season ahead at least :oldlol:

bladefd
06-26-2015, 03:42 PM
-Have the Lakers ever drafted a star big man? I think every single decent center we got was through trade/FA. Okafor would have been the first good center draft pick by Lakers - an anomaly

-With this pick, I cannot see us getting Jimmy Butler for SG -- unless if we get him for SF. It wouldn't make sense either when you have such a big glaring need at C

-We still need a SF. Nick Young at starting SF is risky. I hope we can get Harrison Barnes, but he would want too much money (he is not worth max). I would still offer max to Kawhi Leonard though. Butler I guess can play SF too - he is worth max too

tamaraw08
06-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Signing a top big man would be awesome, but I also like Danny Green and Mike Dunleavy.