PDA

View Full Version : Someone surveyed people over pick up basketball rules

Dr. Ice
04-07-2015, 05:22 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/4/7/8353509/what-are-the-rules-of-pick-up-basketball-survey

-Who are the weirdos that pick teams based on who makes shots? No matter where i've lived, the rules have always been that people shoot until 2 people make it and they are the captains.

I guess i'll ask the question he forgot to ask: does offensive player checking the ball at start of a possession have to pass before his team is allowed to score? yes, yes he does

inclinerator
04-07-2015, 06:15 PM
prison rules

24-Inch_Chrome
04-07-2015, 06:19 PM
I play shoot for teams fairly often. It was what motivated me to work on my shot. :oldlol:

As far as additional rules, it's generally to 11, all ones, win by 2. The scoring team keeps the ball. Call your own fouls (don't be a bitch about it). Pass before first shot if more than 2 players/team.

ISHGoat
04-07-2015, 06:23 PM
I used to shoot for teams, until I realized how stupid and stacked the winning team often is.

Nowadays, we match up against someone of equal size, then rock paper scissors to see if we go on the winning/losing team. I think this method is the fairest and provides the best games.

UK2K
04-07-2015, 06:41 PM
I play shoot for teams fairly often. It was what motivated me to work on my shot. :oldlol:

As far as additional rules, it's generally to 11, all ones, win by 2. The scoring team keeps the ball. Call your own fouls (don't be a bitch about it). Pass before first shot if more than 2 players/team.
We always played to 15 by ones and twos

oarabbus
04-07-2015, 07:02 PM
OP u never shot for teams?

Also what's with the possession rules... standard procedure is: half court, winners get ball

Full court, losers get ball (just like a regular game)

What kinda hand check rules you guys play with (usually these are unspoken, but some people say you can't touch the other person at all on defense unless in the post)?

JimmyMcAdocious
04-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Shoot for captains, to 11 1&2s, win by 2, halfcourt, make it take it.

24-Inch_Chrome
04-07-2015, 07:09 PM
We always played to 15 by ones and twos

The score limit often depends on who's playing and how many people are on each team. If it's 2v2 or even 3v3 it'll be 11 because of the additional running relative to 4v4 or 5v5 (a rarity for me) which might have a higher limit. If there's no one waiting to play we'll bump the score limit up too.

scm5
04-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Usually we either shoot for teams or match-up with someone of similar talent/build and play rock-paper-scissors and divide them to winners/losers.

KungFuJoe
Play to 11, ones and twos, win by one (**** that win by two bullshit).

Like has already been said. Half court is winners ball. Full court is losers ball. Anything else is not basketball.

As for fouls, I only call them when I get hacked on a shot or at least bumped enough to affect it. No charges. No over the back. No loose ball fouls (you end up with the ball it's yours).

UK2K
The score limit often depends on who's playing and how many people are on each team. If it's 2v2 or even 3v3 it'll be 11 because of the additional running relative to 4v4 or 5v5 (a rarity for me) which might have a higher limit. If there's no one waiting to play we'll bump the score limit up too.
Yes.

We always played 5v5. Same group of 20 or so.

UK2K
04-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Play to 11, ones and twos, win by one (**** that win by two bullshit).

Like has already been said. Half court is winners ball. Full court is losers ball. Anything else is not basketball.

As for fouls, I only call them when I get hacked on a shot or at least bumped enough to affect it. No charges. No over the back. No loose ball fouls (you end up with the ball it's yours).
Same.

I never call fouls unless its so blatant the person who fouled me stopped playing.

Dr Hawk
04-07-2015, 07:19 PM
We play to 30 or 50 by twos and threes

KungFuJoe
04-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Same.

I never call fouls unless its so blatant the person who fouled me stopped playing.

Stopped playing? Not the guys I play with...some of the dudes I play with are hackers. Kinda guys that get by not through skill but because they probably used to play football or I dunno. I always get bruised and scratched up. They think cuz I'm taller it's ok to foul me. I'm surprised more fights haven't broken out but luckily there aren't many hot heads in my group.

TylerOO
04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Who plays half court?

joe
04-07-2015, 07:43 PM
We play take it back on everything. Steal. Block. Airball. No matter what happens, the other team has to take it back to the 3 point line, not the free throw...

A lot of people dispute this rule but heres why you do it..

In a real basketball game, an airball does not grant you a layup. A block does not grant you a layup. They just grant you possession, and you have to take the ball down to the other side of the court to score.

Same in halfcourt. You forced an airball, you got the rebound, that is enough of a reward. You don't get a free layup too because it ''didn't hit rim.''

ISHGoat
04-07-2015, 07:51 PM
We play take it back on everything. Steal. Block. Airball. No matter what happens, the other team has to take it back to the 3 point line, not the free throw...

In a real basketball game, an airball does not grant you a layup. A block does not grant you a layup. They just grant you possession, and you have to take the ball down to the other side of the court to score.

Same in halfcourt. You forced an airball, you got the rebound, that is enough of a reward. You don't get a free layup too because it ''didn't hit rim.''

Yep, where Im from, we play clear on change of possession. Doing a putback layup on an opponent missed shot is some 21 shit lol.

When I was in China, this rule was taken even further. Once you get a defensive rebound and clear it at the three point line, you must make a pass before shooting. This prevents crappy defenders from just leaving their man and camping the three point line, waiting for a pass off a defensive rebound for some 2k cheese in real life. This also removes long rebounds bouncing out to an opponent who just takes it down the middle right away. Basically it settles the game down and removes any easy "transition" buckets. I really like this rule, because a lot of the times when I play at my uni, theres good 3 pt shooters who just jack up treys all day after getting the ball kicked out to them off a DReb.

oarabbus
04-07-2015, 08:12 PM

who the **** doesn't play clear to the 3pt ALWAYS in half court :biggums:

kennethgriffin
04-07-2015, 08:13 PM
- shoot for teams from 3pt line ( first to make it are on the same team )
- make it take it ( winners outs )
- clear at 3pt line for everything/change of possession
- everything counts as 1
- game to 11 or 21
- win by 2
- call your own fouls
- atleast 1 pass per check after score or foul

fsvr54
04-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Who plays half court?

Most people who play pickup ball on the planet.

UK2K
04-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Stopped playing? Not the guys I play with...some of the dudes I play with are hackers. Kinda guys that get by not through skill but because they probably used to play football or I dunno. I always get bruised and scratched up. They think cuz I'm taller it's ok to foul me. I'm surprised more fights haven't broken out but luckily there aren't many hot heads in my group.
Yeah, obvious things like landing on my back after a pump fake or two guys colliding with each other. I don't call fouls for, or on, myself unless its clearly a foul.

I've seen too many people jump over someone and face plant after their foot gets caught.

UK2K
04-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Most people who play pickup ball on the planet.
Half court isn't fun for me.

I'd rather not play on the half.

FreezingTsmoove
04-08-2015, 03:04 AM
Bunch of ***** parks in this thread. We play to 50 full court with a halftime break at 25. Wtf what fun is playing to 11 or 15 smh the game would be over in 10 minutes :roll: :roll:

bdreason
04-08-2015, 03:08 AM
We always shoot for teams.

If you're playing half-court, the guy who starts with the ball has to pass first.

kennethgriffin
04-08-2015, 03:17 AM
Bunch of ***** parks in this thread. We play to 50 full court with a halftime break at 25. Wtf what fun is playing to 11 or 15 smh the game would be over in 10 minutes :roll: :roll:

not every game is on a full court or with 10 players

smaller courts at city parks or with 4-6 people require a half court game to 11 or 21

at the gym if theres enough people they make a full court winner stays on.. games to 7 or 11 and the sideline team waits their turn. breaks inbetween games

ive almost never heard of a game to 50 full court game with half times. the ****?

:oldlol:

clipps
04-08-2015, 03:26 AM
Who plays half court?

Best most efficient way of playing 1 on 1.

oarabbus
04-08-2015, 03:52 AM
Half court isn't fun for me.

I'd rather not play on the half.

2v2 gotta play half. 3v3 can go either way but IMO half isn't bad.

4s or 5s, play full or don't play IMO.