PDA

View Full Version : NBA Rescinds Technical on Russell Westbrook. Will Play Against Portland

Wavves
04-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 11m11 minutes ago

The NBA has rescinded Russell Westrook's technical foul on Sunday, allowing him to play against Portland, per league. He has 15 for season.

LoneyROY7
04-13-2015, 11:56 AM
Pelicans nervous.

toxicxr6
04-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Seriously that isn't a good look for the NBA..

People are constantly questioning whether games are rigged or not...

Stuff like this feels like the league is absolutely bias to certain situations..

I'm not an OKC or a Pelicans fan and I don't care who makes the 8th seed anyways but the NBA should be ashamed of themselves for this situation..

Johnny Jones
04-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Was there ever any doubt? Silver wants OKC in the playoffs. A Westbrook vs Curry matchup will be great for ratings.

L.A.Showtime
04-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Could somebody inform me if he deserved the T or not? I'm trying to figure out if this is the NBA just trying to get something they want or not.

Also, does the technical count start over in the playoffs? Or does he get suspended a game if he gets a T in the 1st round (if Thunder somehow make it)?

navy
04-13-2015, 12:03 PM
Could somebody inform me if he deserved the T or not? I'm trying to figure out if this is the NBA just trying to get something they want or not.

Also, does the technical count start over in the playoffs? Or does he get suspended a game if he gets a T in the 1st round (if Thunder somehow make it)?
You cant "not" deserve a T. They are purely up to the digression of the referees in most cases.

I mean yeah, the nba ref gave him a tech for a dumb reason as usual, but it's not like he would have got the tech rescinded had a suspension not been coming up.

beastee
04-13-2015, 12:05 PM

Stuff like this feels like the league is absolutely bias to certain situations..

I'm not an OKC or a Pelicans fan and I don't care who makes the 8th seed anyways but the NBA should be ashamed of themselves for this situation..
I agree this one is sketchy. They want GOATbrook in the playoffs. While I would like to see it too, this one was pretty obvious on getting overruled.

OKC fans better not complain about refs anytime soon.

L.A.Showtime
04-13-2015, 12:09 PM
You cant "not" deserve a T. They are purely up to the digression of the referees in most cases.

I mean yeah, the nba ref gave him a tech for a dumb reason as usual, but it's not like he would have got the tech rescinded had a suspension not been coming up.

Ok, the the rescinding seemed to be specifically because of the upcoming suspension. Gotcha.

ninephive
04-13-2015, 12:10 PM

What sucks about this is that the NBA would be good enough from an entertainment standpoint without trying to manipulate it. It might not be AS good, but it's still far and away enough. And if this continues, it's going to degenerate into wrestling. Obviously it's not even close yet, but these types of things make it pretty obvious. They need to change the rules if they don't want things like this to happen rather than just give multiple exceptions to players because they shoot the ball 40 times a game.

Fudge
04-13-2015, 12:13 PM
http://www.nickadamsweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/white-kid-dance-club.gif

gts
04-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Right thing to do.. Westbrook wasn't doing anything but asking for an explanation, never got a warning just "t'd up"

Stu Jackson said it was the wrong call and Brooks said last night it would be rescinded once the NBA took a look at it, looks like they were right

NBA has rescinded 43 techs this season so let's not act like this is a special moment in history

NugzFan
04-13-2015, 12:33 PM

Agreed.

dunksby
04-13-2015, 12:35 PM
They are keeping in line with the spirit of competition, rescinding a BS Tech is as ordinary as clearing a yellow card given to a soccer player post match.

HurricaneKid
04-13-2015, 12:42 PM
How anyone could say that was a BS tech is beyond me. Guys get techs for looking salty at a ref 10 seconds after a call. Westbrook was arguing, was warned, and kept arguing for 15 secs after the call.

Its a REALLY bad look for the NBA. Don't have the rule if you don't want it enforced. But he has already had a tech rescinded and this was a well earned tech.

Lensanity
04-13-2015, 12:42 PM
NBA rigging OKC to the playoffs confirmed. 2013 Lakers all over again

Fudge
04-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Great.

Was a BS tech in the first place.

BigTicket
04-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Huge break for the Thunder, they were pretty much out of the playoffs before this, now they have a chance again.

The Pelicans are likely to beat the Wolves tonight, which means the Thunder have to win their last two games, and they didn't have much chance against the Blazers without Westbrook.

Real Men Wear Green
04-13-2015, 12:54 PM

It's more important to be entertaining. Westbrook is one of the 5 biggest stars and hitting historical statistical milestones on a nightly basis. If you want to see entertaining basketball you aren't going to turn off the TV just because he maybe should have 16 techs. This isn't a serious criminal, this is a case where he said some curse words and the referee who has undoubtedly let other curse words slide in the past decided that he has heard enough. The subjective nature of the tech is part of the reason it can be rescinded so easily.

iamgine
04-13-2015, 12:54 PM
The tech would've been rescinded even if there's no suspension. It just look bad because of the timing.

Im Still Ballin
04-13-2015, 12:57 PM
:roll:

bdreason
04-13-2015, 01:18 PM
I think the rule is stupid, but the NBA looks really bad in this situation in not supporting its refs and rules.

Eric Cartman
04-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Love to see the justification for rescinding his totally deserved tech.

The fix is in, have my tinfoil hat and bush did 9/11 poster ready to go.

dazzer87
04-13-2015, 01:29 PM
NBA wants a Westbrook vs Curry.....:applause:

24-Inch_Chrome
04-13-2015, 01:32 PM
That was a horrible technical, it's good that it was rescinded.

HurricaneKid
04-13-2015, 01:40 PM
He got an extra 15 seconds of complaining about the call because the official understood exactly what was going on. This is akin to announcing that the no call on Perk's 9 steps was the correct call. It undermines the league. Its a weird arbitrary number but rescinding the call feels really dirty, especially on such a CLEAR tech.

k0kakw0rld
04-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Pelicans nervous.
It does not matter. The guy thinks he is Jordan or Bron's level. He ain't nd as long as he continues to play hero ball, I'm fine. Anyway fvck the league, always changing the rules to make their stars look better or themselves.

bdreason
04-13-2015, 01:44 PM
Aldridge out tonight as well.

qrich
04-13-2015, 01:53 PM
So asking Why Not and getting a tech for it is not worthy of being rescinded, but continually arguing after being warned is worthy of being rescinded?

inclinerator
04-13-2015, 01:58 PM
be funny if okc still miss the playoffs

imdaman99
04-13-2015, 02:35 PM
It's more important to be entertaining. Westbrook is one of the 5 biggest stars and hitting historical statistical milestones on a nightly basis. If you want to see entertaining basketball you aren't going to turn off the TV just because he maybe should have 16 techs. This isn't a serious criminal, this is a case where he said some curse words and the referee who has undoubtedly let other curse words slide in the past decided that he has heard enough. The subjective nature of the tech is part of the reason it can be rescinded so easily.
This. Westbrook is one of the most entertaining players in the league and that was one weak tech.

L.A.Showtime
04-13-2015, 02:35 PM
NBA has rescinded 43 techs this season so let's not act like this is a special moment in history

Is that a record? If so, good on Silver for making this something worth watching over more closely.

r0drig0lac
04-13-2015, 02:40 PM
:applause: :roll:

rmt
04-13-2015, 03:25 PM
How anyone could say that was a BS tech is beyond me. Guys get techs for looking salty at a ref 10 seconds after a call. Westbrook was arguing, was warned, and kept arguing for 15 secs after the call.

Its a REALLY bad look for the NBA. Don't have the rule if you don't want it enforced. But he has already had a tech rescinded and this was a well earned tech.

Remember Duncan was ejected for laughing while sitting on the bench. Rescinding this makes people question the integrity of the game - wanting a star player to play so that his team makes the playoffs.

Chadwin
04-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Do we really need to watch Westbrook kill himself to win maybe one game?

I'd shut him down if they make the playoffs just to troll.

bdreason
04-13-2015, 06:04 PM
I finally saw the play, and to be fair, it was a pretty weak tech.

dabigbaws
04-13-2015, 06:06 PM
It was a horrible tech. Of course they would take it away

24-Inch_Chrome
04-13-2015, 06:07 PM

This. It seems like a lot of posters haven't actually seen the play in question and are jumping on the topic because of Westbrook's star player status.

ninephive
04-13-2015, 06:16 PM
I hear you, but honestly I'm not sure you want to shut a guy down who may possibly shoot 40+ shots when he only makes 42% of them...and who turns the ball over 4.4 times a game (a rate so bad that only 5 other players have done that in the last 25 years).

clipps
04-13-2015, 06:16 PM
I think it was the right thing to do. It didn't look like Westbrook did anything wrong. He was just trying to get an explanation. He just looked like he was shrugging his shoulders. Players have gotten away with worse. It's not the NBA's fault that the Pelicans continue to choke away every chance they get.

sdot_thadon
04-13-2015, 06:23 PM
No way they let a suspension spoil one of their biggest storylines of the season.

Leroy Jetson
04-13-2015, 07:22 PM
This is actually the second time in 7 games the league rescinded a Westbrook foul.