PDA

View Full Version : Remember when the NBA introduced MULTIPLE expansion teams?

Im Still Ballin
04-14-2015, 02:17 AM
Diluting the talent, effectively weakening the competition?

The 90's

3ball
04-14-2015, 02:20 AM

The 90's
30 teams then.. 30 teams now.

What's the difference? Same number of players in the league, or less.. There's never been MORE than 30 teams in the league - then it would be more diluted - the more teams, the more diluted the league is.

Im Still Ballin
04-14-2015, 02:22 AM
The talent pool has gotten larger

The game is gathering talent from ALL over the globe now

Much more so than previous eras

ClipperRevival
04-14-2015, 02:26 AM
:facepalm

You guys should get a room. Everytime I am come in here there is an agenda driven thread trying to discredit the past or present. It's really annoying.

ImKobe
04-14-2015, 02:26 AM
there used to be like 11-12 teams in once conference with 8 making the Playoffs back in the 80s. Jordan was injured all year and his team barely scraped 30 wins together and they still made the Playoffs.

Im Still Ballin
04-14-2015, 02:32 AM
Just look at the Giannis situation

In the 90's he would have never gotten the attention or the hype to be able to be drafted in the NBA even though we know he has the talent and the ability to be a solid NBA player. He was playing in like the 2nd grade Greek League...

Do we really think that in the 90's he would have garnered the buzz like he did today? No ****ing way

The only Euro that would have gotten drafted was probably Mirotic because he was elite over there. Even though Giannis is just as good if not better than Mirotic

ClipperRevival
04-14-2015, 02:52 AM
Just look at the Giannis situation

In the 90's he would have never gotten the attention or the hype to be able to be drafted in the NBA even though we know he has the talent and the ability to be a solid NBA player. He was playing in like the 2nd grade Greek League...

Do we really think that in the 90's he would have garnered the buzz like he did today? No ****ing way

The only Euro that would have gotten drafted was probably Mirotic because he was elite over there. Even though Giannis is just as good if not better than Mirotic

The NBA started to scout talent internationally at a serious level around the late 80's and that's when you started to see European players cracking the NBA. I don't know how old you are but the game was mainstream by the time Magic/Bird elevated the game. The talent pool wasn't what it was today but it was immensely great. The reason the league expanded in 1989 was because the game was becoming more and more popular. Magic/Bird and later MJ took the game's poplularity to levels never seen before. And the Dream Team in 1992 is what opened the floodgates to makes this a truly international game.

So I don't know how you view the 80's and 90's in terms of talent pool. Based on you agenda driven posts, you probably think it was a joke. And that be wrong and ignorant. The talent pool is not that much different from the 80's to today. It's the modern era. What I will concede is that the talent pool in tne 50's and 60's was much weaker because the talent pool wasn't great because the game wasn't mainstream. But 80's and 90's? Please.

Im Still Ballin
04-14-2015, 02:57 AM
The NBA started to scout talent internationally at a serious level around the late 80's and that's when you started to see European players cracking the NBA. I don't know how old you are but the game was mainstream by the time Magic/Bird elevated the game. The talent pool wasn't what it was today but it was immensely great. The reason the league expanded in 1989 was because the game was becoming more and more popular. Magic/Bird and later MJ took the game's poplularity to levels never seen before. And the Dream Team in 1992 is what opened the floodgates to makes this a truly international game.

So I don't know how you view the 80's and 90's in terms of talent pool. Based on you agenda driven posts, you probably think it was a joke. And that be wrong and ignorant. The talent pool is not that much different from the 80's to today. It's the modern era. What I will concede is that the talent pool in tne 50's and 60's was much weaker because the talent pool wasn't great because the game wasn't mainstream. But 80's and 90's? Please.
That's all you had to post

Cheers

ClipperRevival
04-14-2015, 03:19 AM
That's all you had to post

Cheers

Given the fact that you are completely agenda driven and aren't into actually discussing the topic, your response is predictable. Keep thinking the 80's were some waystation. It's actually the toughest era in history and it's not even close.

LEFT4DEAD
04-14-2015, 03:27 AM
Given the fact that you are completely agenda driven and aren't into actually discussing the topic, your response is predictable. Keep thinking the 80's were some waystation. It's actually the toughest era in history and it's not even close.
No, its not. And its not even close.

Spurs m8
04-14-2015, 03:29 AM
Funny when people like OP, who obviously wasn't around bball in the 90s, makes assumptions about the era from reading the internet and watching videos on youtube.

What an informed guy on the subject, thanks for the thread OP, please tell me more about something you taught yourself on the internet.

Cheers

ClipperRevival
04-14-2015, 03:32 AM

Show me another era with so many great, top heavy teams. They say Magic was 5/9 in the Finals as if that is proof that he wasn't that great. But until you look at who he lost too, you realize it's not that bad. Losing to the 76ers, Celtics, Pistons and Bulls. No other era had such a concentration of all time great teams competing for titles every year. Every team that won a ring in the 80's were the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons or 76ers. And a few years later, MJs Bulls. These teams were killing each other to win rings.

Spurs m8
04-14-2015, 03:37 AM
Yeah leftfordead, do your internet research better

LEFT4DEAD
04-14-2015, 03:44 AM
Show me another era with so many great, top heavy teams. They say Magic was 5/9 in the Finals as if that is proof that he wasn't that great. But until you look at who he lost too, you realize it's not that bad. Losing to the 76ers, Celtics, Pistons and Bulls. No other era had such a concentration of all time great teams competing for titles every year. Every team that won a ring in the 80's were the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons or 76ers. And a few years later, MJs Bulls. These teams were killing each other to win rings.
Not really. I look at it this way. In the early 80's you had Lakers/Celtics/76ers who were above the rest by a huge margin. The rest of the league was shit then.
The late 80's just had the Pistons instead of 76ers and again the Lakers/Celtics and they were again above the rest.
Bulls were not a real threat to those teams till Bird and Magic got their health problems and Pistons got old. And it was in the beggining of the 90's.

Today you have literally 6-7 teams who are neck to neck on the top and you cant predict who will be in the finals. You have like 5-6 stacked teams on the West that can win it all.

Top 3 teams in the 80's were better than the best 3 teams today. But after that today's league own the 80's and its not even a discussion.

ClipperRevival
04-14-2015, 03:52 AM
Not really. I look at it this way. In the early 80's you had Lakers/Celtics/76ers who were above the rest by a huge margin. The rest of the league was shit then.
The late 80's just had the Pistons instead of 76ers and again the Lakers/Celtics and they were again above the rest.
Bulls were not a real threat to those teams till Bird and Magic got their health problems and Pistons got old. And it was in the beggining of the 90's.

Today you have literally 5-6 teams who are neck to neck on the top and you cant predict who will be in the finals. You have like 6-7 stacked teams on the West that can win it all.

Top 3 teams in the 80's were better than the best 3 teams today. But after that today's league own the 80's and its not even a discussion.

And thay's why I said top heavy. If you wanted to win a ring, the 80's was the toughest era to do so because you had to compete against other all time great teams. Just look at who played in the finals during that time. It was all Lakers, Celtics, 76ers and Pistons. Houston got in there once. But the point is, to win in all in the 80's, you had to beat another all time great team or two.

There is more parity in today's game and it's competitive as hell. But how many of them are all time great level teams? Not all championship winning teams are the same. Some are greater than others and it's a fact that the 80's had 4 of the better/best teams ever. Most will argue the 1986 Celts or 1987 Lakers are the greatest team ever. And the 1989 Pistons has to be right up there too along with the 1983 76ers.

3ball
04-14-2015, 03:58 AM
I suppose you think it's the era where the league's very best 1st-Team All-NBA talent - including lebron, wade, melo, cp3, dwight, and bosh - was defeated 7 times on the biggest stage by Euroleague talent?

LEFT4DEAD
04-14-2015, 04:01 AM
And thay's why I said top heavy. If you wanted to win a ring, the 80's was the toughest era to do so because you had to compete against other all time great teams. Just look at who played in the finals during that time. It was all Lakers, Celtics, 76ers and Pistons. Houston got in there once. But the point is, to win in all in the 80's, you had to beat another all time great team or two.

There is more parity in today's game and it's competitive as hell. But how many of them are all time great level teams? Not all championship winning teams are the same. Some are greater than others and it's a fact that the 80's had 4 of the better/best teams ever. Most will argue the 1986 Celts or 1987 Lakers are the greatest team ever. And the 1989 Pistons has to be right up there too along with the 1983 76ers.
I can somehow agree with that. But looking as a whole, the league back then was ****ing boring as hell. And thats why I would chose the league as it is today 10 times of 10.
You had to wait till the conference finals and finals to see a competitive series with no clear favourite.
This season and many more in the last couple of years will give yor at least 4 classic 1st round matchups that will be very entertaining.

Im Still Ballin
04-14-2015, 04:03 AM
This is why I stay in the OTC these days

Troll infestation

navy
04-14-2015, 04:04 AM
I suppose you think it's the era where the league's very best 1st-Team All-NBA talent - including lebron, wade, melo, cp3, dwight, and bosh - was defeated 7 times on the biggest stage by Euroleague talent?
How many of those players were in their prime or 1st team those years?

LEFT4DEAD
04-14-2015, 04:06 AM
Not sure what does that have to do with anything. Basketball is a team game, and international rules are much different than NBA rules, and at the beggining when these players were young it was a big problem for them. Even though the euro players are worse individualy they could beat them playing a team game. And Euroleauge talent is very underrated these days too.

3ball
04-14-2015, 04:08 AM
Not sure what does that have to do with anything.

The NBA had the best talent (1st Team All-NBA > Euroleague), so the reason they repeatedly lost is because the brand of basketball learned and played by American players was THAT much inferior, that it sufficiently offset the massive talent gap.

This inferior brand of basketball proved that era was the weakest the NBA has ever seen, by far.. Accordingly, all players and stats from that era should be looked upon through this appropriate lense (i.e. the competition, players, and brand of basketball was super-weak.. weaker than Euroleague).

LEFT4DEAD
04-14-2015, 04:12 AM
The NBA had the best talent (1st Team All-NBA > Euroleague), so the reason they repeatedly lost is because the brand of basketball learned and played by American players was THAT much inferior, that it sufficiently offset the massive talent gap.

This inferior brand of basketball proved that era was the weakest the NBA has ever seen, by far.. Accordingly, all players and stats from that era should be looked upon through this appropriate lense (i.e. the competition, players, and brand of basketball was super-weak.. weaker than Euroleague).
:biggums:

Im Still Ballin
04-14-2015, 04:19 AM
The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck

fourkicks44
04-14-2015, 07:32 AM
30 teams then.. 30 teams now.

What's the difference? Same number of players in the league, or less.. There's never been MORE than 30 teams in the league - then it would be more diluted - the more teams, the more diluted the league is.

When was there 30 teams in the 90's?

dubeta
04-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Smh such a weak era.

Showtime80'
04-14-2015, 11:27 AM
First of all, today's East is the MOST pathetic conference of all time in the NBA, just bad teams and bad basketball all around. Second is amazing how many people here really didn't see basketball in the 80's, from 1981 to 1988 it was a 23 team league with the obvious big four in the Lakers, Celtics, Sixers and Pistons but dig deeper and you'll find a plethora of teams in the East and West with multiple all-stars and hall of famers:

Rockets- Hakeem, Sampson and Malone (early to mid 80's)
Blazers- Drexler, Kiki V, Kersey and Porter (mid to late 80's)
Bulls- Jordan, Oakley, Pippen (mid to late 80's)
Cavs- Price, Daugherty, Harper (mid to late 80's)
Hawks- Wilkins, Rivers, Malone (mid to late 80's)
Jazz- Dantley, Malone, Griffith, Stockton (mid to late 80's)
Sonics- DJ, Chambers, Xman, Gus Johnson (early to late 80's)
Nuggets- English, Lever, Issel (early to mid 80's)
Spurs- Gervin, Mitchell, Gilmore, Moore (early 80's)
Knicks- Ewing, King, Jackson (mid to late 80's)
Bucks- Moncrief, Lanier, Presey, Cummings (early to late 80's)
Suns- Larry Nance, Walter Davis (early to mid 80's)
Mavs- Blackman, Aguirre, Donaldson, Harper (mid to late 80's)

That's 17 out 23 teams with multiple all-star and hall of famers in BOTH conferences with basketball being played THE RIGHT WAY with fundamentals before athleticism!

What's the big deal with having a larger talent pool if the game is being learned without fundamentals, physicality or overall IQ. The 80's talent pool produced a way better product.

Showtime80'
04-14-2015, 11:30 AM
And before I forget, NO RIVALRIES today that can compare to ANY of the 80's!

christian1923
04-14-2015, 11:38 AM
the 10's suck man lol Miami had to go through Kemba Walker, Joe Johnson, and Paul George to make the finals :lol

ninephive
04-14-2015, 11:40 AM

The 90's
Yah I remember. Right after the days when the Jordan Bulls were making the playoffs with a 30-52 record, lol.

Showtime80'
04-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Don't blame the Bulls for that, blame the powers that be that expanded the playoffs teams from 12 to 16 teams before the 1984 season which was ridiculous in a 23 team league. Look at the teams that made the playoffs from 1980 to 1983, virtually ALL OF THEM had winning records in East and West. Adjust the 1985 playoffs to 12 teams and the Bulls are not sniffing the post season.

This years east is probably going to field 3 teams with losing records!

Hittin_Shots
04-14-2015, 12:02 PM
Don't blame the Bulls for that, blame the powers that be that expanded the playoffs teams from 12 to 16 teams before the 1984 season which was ridiculous in a 23 team league. Look at the teams that made the playoffs from 1980 to 1983, virtually ALL OF THEM had winning records in East and West. Adjust the 1985 playoffs to 12 teams and the Bulls are not sniffing the post season.

This years east is probably going to field 3 teams with losing records!

I bet you anything it doesn't.