PDA

View Full Version : Video on Steve Nash and a discussion on "hate".

Kblaze8855
04-17-2015, 09:57 PM
Figured id get this in before the playoff madness begins tomorrow and doesnt end until June. One of the best of this generation is gone for good...and I felt that he deserved a tribute.

Its probably my favorite video(that I made) in years. Most I do are kinda straight to the point...just basketball. Full plays if possible...not too much extra. But I felt Steve justified a little more...plus I consider it more of a celebration of a great player, great teammate, and generally great guy than an attempt to make a point or "teach" anything.

Its just about Nash generally being interesting, entertaining, and ****ing ridiculous on the court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agiEnpc4zQA&feature=youtu.be

I love Steve Nashs game. Always have. Hes among the most likable athletes of my lifetime. Hes funny....humble...and genuine about it. Not that fake Lebron "Im humbled..." humble. He seemed genuinely embarrassed to get so much attention those MVP years.

Nobody has a bad word to say about him personally. Hes hilarious. He played an exciting brand of ball. Hes among the hardest working and most skilled(as a result) players of all time.

And yet...due to the opinions of people he has nothing to do with I spent years generally seeming unimpressed with him...because it was in comparison to a number of people I felt were more worthy of some of his accolades.

People for years accused me of hating Steve Nash.

I never hated Nash. I never mildly disliked him. Hes been a great part of the NBA for a long time...and I honeslty just love his style and his approach to the game and the public....

And yet....ive been told I hate him.

My question is this...

Is being a hater what you feel or what you say?

My position opposed to Nash winning those MVPs(Felt Dirk or Shaq in 05...less of a problem with 06) put me in a lot of conversations where I had to downplay things he did to make a point.

These days internet forums have made SO many formerly inaccessible over the top fans easily interacted with...I dont know how we manage to stay somewhat civil. There is always someone about to get out of line and spark a discussion that forces you to ignore it...or try to bring them back to reality often at the expense of someone you wouldnt otherwise be talking about one way or the other.

Love his game as I do....I still expect to end up in an argument with someone shortly on if offensive ratings mean hes better at running an offense than Magic, Isiah, and Kidd....and I just dont want to.

But its gonna happen. Someone will take praise into a questionable territory and spark an argument about someone I think even the scum among us has to at least respect. And many will argue against him being...whatever...when we have a deep respect for what he was.

Have you ever found yourself so greatly opposed to the general opinion of a player that you felt perception shift to you not liking him....when you do?

Why do we allow fans to do that? Why not just ignore someone you know has opinions that just leave no middle ground to meet on? We get sucked into arguments that force us to downplay people we respect....

There is no likely solution. And I cant blame people for it....since clearly im just as guilty as anyone. But shit....

Kinda feels bad being called a hater of someone I admire.

Call me a Karl Malone hater...fair enough. Dont like him...

Steve Nash? I just...think a lot of people disrespect other greats in the process of praising him...and it may get out of hand...but ive always respected him.

Ever been seen as a "hater" of someone you actually like?

I feel like a few people have the potential to come out of these playoffs monumentally overrated....and I will have to spend time arguing they are less than people think....making me a "hater". Could be Harden(for the record...I dont care for him)....could be someone out of left field like Jeff Teague(no strong opinion either way). But its gonna happen.

Someone like Harden will go off and get called the best in the league.

And 180 of us will be branded haters for arguing...and of that 180...at least 6 will probably be fans of his often ugly ass game.

I feel for the 6. Trying to balance fanhood and thinking someone is overrated is quite a task.

game3524
04-17-2015, 10:03 PM
Yeah, the only thing you can "hate" on Nash about are the MVPs and that has nothing to do with him, but the crappy media.

Im so nba'd out
04-17-2015, 10:06 PM
seems like you put a lot of thought,time,and effort into this video....THUMBS DOWN!
nah im just playing

Smoke117
04-17-2015, 10:07 PM
What the hell is this shit as my man Clint Eastwood would say. What do you do, sit at work all day and open up a new thread on ISH and just post your random thoughts throughout the day? Or in this case, random thoughts on "hate".

navy
04-17-2015, 10:08 PM
terrible music choice

Kblaze8855
04-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Also...

Mark Knopflers guitar work someow reminds me of Steve Nashs pointguarding. I cant well explain it...but it does.

And the Suns had Nash, Kevin Johnson, and Jason Kidd at the same time. Played them together at times as you can see in the video. Not sure how that worked...Kidd or KJ guards the opposing 3 I guess...other on the 2...Nash on the point. But it didnt last. KJ was hurt...Nash wasnt Nash yet. But it happened..

The Dragic, Bledsoe, Thomas experiment was far from the first of its kind.....

Kblaze8855
04-17-2015, 10:15 PM
What the hell is this shit as my man Clint Eastwood would say. What do you do, sit at work all day and open up a new thread on ISH and just post your random thoughts throughout the day? Or in this case, random thoughts on "hate".

Pretty much. But much less often than I used to.

terrible music choice

I was expecting some of that....

Im sure some wont even get to the real video because of it...but that first song has made me think of Nash and Kobe for years.

It was an intro to a never finished Nash/Kobe tandem thing I started in 2013 before all hell broke loose.

Its not meant to be taken serious....Nash is a bit of a clown off court.

dgaras
04-17-2015, 11:04 PM
good vid just horrible quality

Smoke117
04-17-2015, 11:09 PM
terrible music choice

I didn't click on the link, but these kind of comments are ridiculous and piss me off. It's his video he can use any ****ing damn music he wants. You don't like it? Make your own god damn video and don't watch it.

navy
04-17-2015, 11:16 PM
I didn't click on the link, but these kind of comments are ridiculous and piss me off. It's his video he can use any ****ing damn music he wants. You don't like it? Make your own god damn video and don't watch it.
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Or every morning it seems...

Anyways, music choice is valid critic to any video. And in this case, im not hating just to hate like you, I watched the video, heard the music and it's legitimately terrible. Easily holding this back from reaching it's full potential. If Kblaze doesnt mind, then he doesnt mind and wont change it. I dont expect him to. It's his video. That doesnt mean I cant not like the music.

In short...

Fvck off.

Kblaze8855
04-17-2015, 11:20 PM
Not everyone likes 6 minute world class player guitar solos. But **** them for the most part.

Milbuck
04-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Forgot how not unathletic Dirk was..damn.
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Or every morning it seems...

Anyways, music choice is valid critic to any video. And in this case, im not hating just to hate like you, I watched the video, heard the music and it's legitimately terrible. Easily holding this back from reaching it's full potential. If Kblaze doesnt mind, then he doesnt mind and wont change it. I dont expect him to. It's his video. That doesnt mean I cant not like the music.

In short...

Fvck off.
Funny enough he did the exact same thing on my mix. Dude isn't worth the paragraph, shoulda just went with the last line.

24-Inch_Chrome
04-17-2015, 11:22 PM
Always happy to see a Nash compilation. Repped.

Kblaze8855
04-17-2015, 11:27 PM
Forgot how not unathletic Dirk was..damn.

I included a few plays for that purpose. He kinda destroyed VC.

Smoke117
04-17-2015, 11:31 PM

In short...

Fvck off.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii39/jvrooyen/kiss-6.gif

Two Bitches with about 14k post in about a year (more or less) would have a lot in common.

RedBlackAttack
04-17-2015, 11:33 PM
terrible music choice
I have to ask... why is it "terrible"?

It was frankly a breath of fresh air to open a highlight video of a basketball player that wasn't synced with a generic sounding rap song or hip-hop beat. That isn't to say that all of those highlight mixes are bad. Hip hop is indelibly ingrained in basketball culture and vice versa. I understand why there's the tendency to go status quo on music selection.

At the same time, I feel like picking the right song and broadening that selecting process beyond Jay-Z or The Game or whomever can literally make the video, just as much as picking from the usual suspects -- or the suspects that sound like the usual -- can break it.

I was happy to hear Mark Knopfler's frenetic guitar work be a part of a Steve Nash mix. It fit together well. Dire Straits is a very well respected band and Knopfler is one of the best in the world at doing what he does. You are definitely free to make your own judgements on music, but just flatly saying a classic song is "terrible" without explaining why you think so sort of makes it sound like you are pretty narrow in your music tastes.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but most people aren't as narrow, at least beyond a certain age.

In the future, I'd love to see the music be a little more creative. James Brown for a Barkley mix? Miles Davis for Kyrie Irving? How about Roysopp for Dirk?

There are so many directions a master highlight creator can go to really catch the tone of the player, there's no way the highlight mix community should be as -- for the most part -- uncreative as it has been over the years.

Great job KBlaze, both in the music selection and the visuals.

Smoke117
04-17-2015, 11:38 PM
I guess I can kind of see why people aren't feeling the music now that I have watched some of it. If you are going to Make a Steve Nash video you need to use music that is more up tempo or use something like The Eagles 'Life in the Fast Lane'. Perfect song for a Steve Nash mix. I was thinking about recording all of the Suns this season and making a video with that song...but then I decided to drink instead. Either way, it didn't work out as it was a disaster and the Dragon was traded anyway, heh.

I remember watching NBA TV around 2000-2002 and they showed this old Sonics 90s video mix using Pearl Jams Go. (also would be great for a steve nash mix) That was a great mix. I agree that all the mixes with hip hop have become tiresome.

The main problem with this video is it's just too long...you can't expect people to watch a 13 minute video of highlights and be intrigued the entire time. This video can only really be appealing to the biggest Steve Nash fans.

24-Inch_Chrome
04-17-2015, 11:41 PM
This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BryvASUBk) is probably my favorite Nash highlight compilation that I've found. That said, I've never seen one I didn't like. :oldlol:

Kblaze8855
04-17-2015, 11:45 PM
To that I'll just say watch a little more.

I wouldn't use Pimp C for the main body of a Steve Nash video.

To the post before I'll say that I have many thoughts and will go into them in the morning. I've often taken issue with only using hip hop in basketball videos but I will accept my part of the blame considering I've done it 300 times by now and people have told me various things I did inspired them to start.

Bill Simmons clowned me for using Eminem on a Larry Bird video but I made that shit in 2002. There was no YouTube. It was shared with like 50 people on ISH and one saved it and uploaded it to YouTube years later so I could be hated on by two million people for a song choice I didn't really want to begin with. I couldn't find the song I wanted.... and I never expected enough people to see it for it to be an issue.

Now I think a bit more.

artificial
04-17-2015, 11:48 PM
Nice post, and nice vid.

Nash always seemed to be one of the nicest persons to have on a team. On the court, its needless to explain how much teams and fans benefited every time he was running the point. Clutch as f*ck.

And as a person, as much as I can only see through the media, he seems to be one of the most legitimately fun guys to hang out with. He is a clown, but somehow he doesn't seem to be too full of himself. And well, he is the most ridiculous man in the world (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdNiXidfLcc) after all.

Just one thing: I never understood why Cuban let him go. It's one of those decisions that even though they worked out for everyone in the end, I didn't get back then and I still don't get. Nash wanted to stay, the team was upcoming and improving, and Cuban usually doesn't hesitates on spending...

Kblaze8855
04-17-2015, 11:51 PM
Cuban still spent the money. He just gave it to Eric Dampier. Eric did have a solid ending to his previous season but it proved to be one of those contract year flukes and Nash wasn't breaking down as quickly as they assumed.

Bu I guess we can credit the Suns for that since he's now on the list of people who left and immediately broke down.

navy
04-18-2015, 12:03 AM
I have to ask... why is it "terrible"?

It has nothing to do with not being hiphop. In fact, i think kblaze misues hiphop in his other vids. Maybe he has some rationale behind it but the songs never seem to match.

The song is just terrible because I dont like it, and I suspect that wouldnt be a strange opinion. Nothing more. :confusedshrug:

RedBlackAttack
04-18-2015, 12:13 AM
It has nothing to do with not being hiphop. In fact, i think kblaze misues hiphop in his other vids. Maybe he has some rationale behind it but the songs never seem to match.

The song is just terrible because I dont like it, and I suspect that wouldnt be a strange opinion. Nothing more. :confusedshrug:
Fair enough, but I don't think most people consider Sultans of Swing to be a bad song. In fact, Rolling Stone magazine rated it as having the 32nd greatest guitar solo ever recorded and Guitar World put it at #22 all-time. It is considered a classic Rock & Roll song.

But, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be something you prefer.

JimmyMcAdocious
04-18-2015, 01:07 AM
Is KJ a HOFer? That Suns team might have had 3 HOF PGs on their roster.

chocolatethunder
04-18-2015, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it and enjoyed the music. My mom loved Dire Straits so it just reminded me of being young. Thanks for including some early Dirk footage when he could jump, he actually had some decent bangs his first 5 years in the league. I was tattooing Mile Overton (Doug Overton's son but I'm sure that Kblaze is the only dude here who knows who he is) today and I was telling him that Dirk actually used to dunk when he was young. Thanks again for the vid it reminded me of how much I miss those Dallas teams and how unreal Nash was in Phoenix.

WillC
04-18-2015, 04:02 AM
That's the best Steve Nash video I've seen. I added it to my favourites. Great work.

Having not seen him play (at his peak) for a few years, it's nice to have a refresher on how great he was. Steph Curry's game is very similar to Nash's. Nash probably looked to pass more than score (that's not a criticism of Curry but just an observation), but in terms of skill set, they are eerily similar.

WillC
04-18-2015, 04:05 AM
I thought the music that kblaze chose for this video was spot on. It makes a change not to have rap music and the tempo of this music was ideal, especially towards the end.

I remember watching NBA TV around 2000-2002 and they showed this old Sonics 90s video mix using Pearl Jams Go. (also would be great for a steve nash mix) That was a great mix. I agree that all the mixes with hip hop have become tiresome.

Pearl Jam's Go was used on the NBA Superstars 3 video for the Shawn Kemp mix tape, circa 1994. Maybe that's what you're thinking of? At the time, it was by far the best mixtape ever, in my opinion.

The main problem with this video is it's just too long...you can't expect people to watch a 13 minute video of highlights and be intrigued the entire time. This video can only really be appealing to the biggest Steve Nash fans.

Too long? Are you five years old? Surely adults have an attention span long enough to enjoy 13 minutes of incredible highlights? I enjoyed every second.

JtotheIzzo
04-18-2015, 04:25 AM
You took this to a cereberal level, and not only hit notes, but f*ckin knocked em out the park.

Nash is underrated, because he is loved. The media loves him, showered him with accolades and as a result he received hate, maybe not votriolic hate, but a disrespect of what he has earned and worked for, and that is on the hate side of the Venn diagram.

what people don't understand is that the Kobe/LeBron/Shaq is always the best player, but not always the MVP.

MVP is about earning it, not being it. I am the best player in my pick up run, we play around 15 short games per session, I should win MVP every game, but I don't, sometimes my homie lights it up, sometimes one of the athletic kids runs crazy and gets a couple of dunks.

If we had a draft, I'd go first every time, but I cannot be the best player of every game.

Kobe/LeBron/Shaq are the embodiement of MVP, but sometimes others come up and earn it, Nash earned his. Some seasons, other people do more, that doesn't mean they are better, but it does mean they performed better during that session.

NOW BACK TO HOW YOU NAILED IT.

I was in an argument over Sultans of Swing last week. I think it is a top five rock and roll song of all time, others don't, much like I think Nash is a top 5 PG of all time, others don't, but they are not looking at the individual performance.

Dire Straits is not Led Zepplin, Mark Knopfler is not Jimi Hendrix, but the construction of that one particular song, the rifts, the solos, the picking is off the charts, pretty much guitar perfection.

Steve Nash is not Kobe/Shaq/LeBron, but the way he played in his prime, is PG perfection, no one has mastered their craft to the degree he did, no one played a purer PG than Nash did. No one plays a purer guitar than Knopfler.

Hats off to you Mr. Blaze, I am thoroughly taken aback.

houston
04-18-2015, 05:55 AM
nash is overrated hof for sure though

JtotheIzzo
04-18-2015, 07:12 AM

dumb, unsubstantiated drive by commentary from the fringe.

fiddy
04-18-2015, 07:33 AM
fuсk Nash

DMAVS41
04-18-2015, 07:57 AM
I included a few plays for that purpose. He kinda destroyed VC.

Then why do you call him nearly identical to Frye, but with a better jump shot?

Kblaze8855
04-18-2015, 08:15 AM
If you haven't noticed over the last 6 months or so I've had no intention of engaging you in topic derailing discussions on shit you won't let go and intentionally misunderstand for the purpose of having eternal arguments.

150 posts are enough for virtually any subject. 12 topic forever fights do not interest me and months of snide remarks are not going to goad me into it. Insulting me directly or indirectly will not goad me into it. I don't expect you to stop because you are even more obsessive than I used to be but I just thought I'd let you know so you could save your time if you value it.

Budadiiii
04-18-2015, 08:28 AM
If you haven't noticed over the last 6 months or so I've had no intention of engaging you in topic derailing discussions on shit you won't let go and intentionally misunderstand for the purpose of having eternal arguments.

150 posts are enough for virtually any subject. 12 topic forever fights do not interest me and months of snide remarks are not going to goad me into it. Insulting me directly or indirectly will not goad me into it. I don't expect you to stop because you are even more obsessive than I used to be but I just thought I'd let you know so you could save your time if you value it.
Dang dood. You're the grand pappy of trolling. Nice to see some insight on how to tackle someone eloquently like this.

Kevin Blaze!

I<3NBA
04-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Fukc you.

And fukc your mom who birthed you.

You should stop watching basketball and watch tennis or golf instead.

Norcaliblunt
04-18-2015, 11:21 AM
due to the opinions of people he has nothing to do with I spent years generally seeming unimpressed with him...because it was in comparison to a number of people I felt were more worthy of some of his accolades.

This is basically the definition of a hater. When people prop up a guy, and someone feels it is unjustified, that others are just as worthy of praise, so they begin to slight, and take shots at the dude in the center of attention, and those who support him. It happens all over pop culture, in some cases worse than others.

24-Inch_Chrome
04-18-2015, 11:46 AM
fuсk Nash

**** you. :cheers:

Nash is a top-5 PG for me, one of my all-time favorite players.

Sakkreth
04-18-2015, 12:07 PM
People that didn't like the music fck off.
I appreciate the video, thanks Kblaze.

Kblaze8855
04-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Now that im free...

In the future, I'd love to see the music be a little more creative. James Brown for a Barkley mix? Miles Davis for Kyrie Irving? How about Roysopp for Dirk?

There are so many directions a master highlight creator can go to really catch the tone of the player, there's no way the highlight mix community should be as -- for the most part -- uncreative as it has been over the years.

Great job KBlaze, both in the music selection and the visuals.

Often I limit what I pick for reasons ade obvious in this topic. People expect a certian thing....but sometimes a player just doesnt feel right over the usual music. And the music is half the story...even if it shouldnt be.

There are songs I wnt for a player for years and end up making a video just to get it out of my head. You have no idea how annoyed I was to find that WMG blocks new uses of When the Levee breaks. Just had a great Dirk feel to it even though ISH would have hated on it. Im not too bothered though. A lot of people message me on youtube over the years telling me im the reason they listen to this guy or that one....feels good to put a new generation on some of the music I came up on.

I was in an argument over Sultans of Swing last week. I think it is a top five rock and roll song of all time, others don't, much like I think Nash is a top 5 PG of all time, others don't, but they are not looking at the individual performance.

Dire Straits is not Led Zepplin, Mark Knopfler is not Jimi Hendrix, but the construction of that one particular song, the rifts, the solos, the picking is off the charts, pretty much guitar perfection.

Steve Nash is not Kobe/Shaq/LeBron, but the way he played in his prime, is PG perfection, no one has mastered their craft to the degree he did, no one played a purer PG than Nash did. No one plays a purer guitar than Knopfler.

As Daniel Day Lewis said while playing Abraham Lincoln....what a joy to be comprehended.

In the cases where I feel the music is perfect...I feel it should explain itself. That people familiar with it should instantly understand the selection and maybe...as in this case...feel the way I felt.

Im guessing you noticed the transition from studio version to live....I needed the extended solo. Though the studio version is maybe my favorite solo ever.

Just feels like Steve Nash. Mark is maybe the most precise guitarist I know of.

I had concerns more people would be annoyed with the length so I didnt go all out as I intended. Sultans was originally just for Nash up to the end of his Dallas run....then Tunnel of love for Phoenix...and even What it is(one of his solo songs) for his Laker run and retirement. That thing would have been 25-30 minutes....

Reasonable I thought to cover 20 years...but I decided against it. Who watches all of a 30 minute tribute?

People like me I suppose.

But there are many people like me.

JtotheIzzo
04-19-2015, 12:03 AM
As Daniel Day Lewis said while playing Abraham Lincoln....what a joy to be comprehended.

In the cases where I feel the music is perfect...I feel it should explain itself. That people familiar with it should instantly understand the selection and maybe...as in this case...feel the way I felt.

Im guessing you noticed the transition from studio version to live....I needed the extended solo. Though the studio version is maybe my favorite solo ever.

Just feels like Steve Nash. Mark is maybe the most precise guitarist I know of.

I had concerns more people would be annoyed with the length so I didnt go all out as I intended. Sultans was originally just for Nash up to the end of his Dallas run....then Tunnel of love for Phoenix...and even What it is(one of his solo songs) for his Laker run and retirement. That thing would have been 25-30 minutes....

Reasonable I thought to cover 20 years...but I decided against it. Who watches all of a 30 minute tribute?

People like me I suppose.

But there are many people like me.

I was initially annoyed that the studio version wasn't used as that solo is gold, but the live solo got better and better (it started off a bit choppy but it finishes very well).

Kblaze8855
04-19-2015, 12:16 PM
A live guitar solo, real freestyle rapping, and a great ball handlers dribbling always kind of remind me of each other. The spontaneity, choppiness, and originality I guess. Same person can look like a god or a scrub from one second to another but you know greatness when you see it even when it stumbles a little.