PDA

View Full Version : Could Bron guard Malone or Barkley in the post?

sportjames23
04-20-2015, 07:13 PM
We hear from Bron supporters that he could guard all 5 positions (yeah, ok), so how would he do against two of the top PFs of all time in the post?

Quickening
04-20-2015, 07:14 PM
stfu

navy
04-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Im not sure what you are trying to say. The fact that you made a thread to asking if Lebron could guard two of the greatest scorers of all time is praise no matter how you spin it.

The answer is no by the way.

MP.Trey
04-20-2015, 07:15 PM
No, god no.

SHAQisGOAT
04-20-2015, 07:17 PM
He could... But he would get killed, most of the time.

Well, it wasn't even just the post-game with players like that (especially Chuck), they could score in plenty of other ways.

LeBron at his best is a great defensive player, great off-ball and great on the perimeter... But I wouldn't call him a great post defender; for example, a dude like Bird was better there, but some people still sleep on that (I would also give Larry the edge in terms of team D, although Bron's a better overall defender, mostly due to athleticism).

Smoke117
04-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Pippen could guard Barkley in the post, so I don't see why Lebron shouldn't be able to when he's bigger and stronger. Karl didn't have much of a post game in general as he was more of a face up player, so I don't why he would do any worse than PF's from that time. (not saying he would do better either, but I'd definitely rather have a big mobile guy like Lebron on Malone instead of the majority good defensive PF's from the 80s and 90s.)

ArbitraryWater
04-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Pippen could guard Barkley in the post, so I don't see why Lebron shouldn't be able to as he's bigger and stronger.

Since OP's examples beast against average defenders, obviously guys like Pip/Bron will somewhat slow them down, as they're ATG defenders.

Trollsmasher
04-20-2015, 07:24 PM
easily

SHAQisGOAT
04-20-2015, 07:26 PM
Pippen could guard Barkley in the post, so I don't see why Lebron shouldn't be able to when he's bigger and stronger.

Chuck wouldn't just operate from the post, as I've said before. Pippen was great because he could guard him all over.

Anyways... Jerome Kersey, for example, was bigger and stronger than Pip... I wouldn't pick him over Scottie to guard someone like Barkley, not even strictly in the post. I would say the same for someone like Anthony Mason.

wakencdukest
04-20-2015, 08:54 PM
In spot minutes maybe, but all game, or for a whole series, I doubt it.

iamgine
04-20-2015, 09:18 PM
He could if needed. Won't do worse than your average defender.

L.Kizzle
04-20-2015, 09:21 PM
I can't see him having too much success. Like someone said, at certain times yes. But as a match-up for the whole game, can't see it going to well.

plowking
04-20-2015, 09:22 PM
They both averaged 27/12 or there abouts in their prime, right?

Bron wouldn't do any worse than your typical defender on any given night. He'd probably do better in fact.

ILLsmak
04-20-2015, 09:24 PM
He could... But he would get killed, most of the time.

Well, it wasn't even just the post-game with players like that (especially Chuck), they could score in plenty of other ways.

LeBron at his best is a great defensive player, great off-ball and great on the perimeter... But I wouldn't call him a great post defender; for example, a dude like Bird was better there, but some people still sleep on that (I would also give Larry the edge in terms of team D, although Bron's a better overall defender, mostly due to athleticism).

If they called shit and bron was flopping right he could. None of those guys could shoot over bron without going into him hard first. I think bron could stick em ok. They'd have to get him low cuz if not he'd stop them. Not saying they couldn't, but refs wouldn't let him get crushed or elbowed.

I think hed be as good as anyone else vs them, in his prime.

-Smak

L.Kizzle
04-20-2015, 09:26 PM
If they called shit and bron was flopping right he could. None of those guys could shoot over bron without going into him hard first. I think bron could stick em ok. They'd have to get him low cuz if not he'd stop them. Not saying they couldn't, but refs wouldn't let him get crushed or elbowed.

I think hed be as good as anyone else vs them, in his prime.

-Smak
Are they playing in the mid 80s/90s or is it today's game?

Refs wouldn't give a damn if it's 1989, if it's 2015 sure.

trig
04-20-2015, 09:36 PM
yes because bron will get charge calls, wont get called for hacking etc

Lebron23
04-20-2015, 09:36 PM
Yes

MJistheGOAT
04-20-2015, 09:39 PM
Are we saying that Lebron is equal to Pippen in D???

He would hold his own but will eventually be cooked (as almost anyone vs 2 of the GOAT PFs)

With today rules he will have a good chance, but with 80-90s play he will be overpowered and eventually elbowed (Karl)

Round Mound
04-20-2015, 11:04 PM
Nope

Rose'sACL
04-20-2015, 11:25 PM
Will have more success against Barkley than Malone.
Also, lol at SHAQISGOAT saying bird was a better defender than lebron anywhere on the court.

ClipperRevival
04-20-2015, 11:46 PM
In stretches yes. But not over the course of a whole game or series. He would expend so much energy banging with these guys that his overall game would suffer. Bron had the strength and size to play these guys but he plays 90% of his game on the perimeter. His mentality is of that of a smaller, wing player. I don't think Bron would like the constant physicality.

3ball
04-20-2015, 11:53 PM
Im not sure what you are trying to say. The fact that you made a thread to asking if Lebron could guard two of the greatest scorers of all time is praise no matter how you spin it.

The answer is no by the way.

Yeah.. Can anyone let me know when Lebron has guarded Dirk, Duncan, Zach, Blake, heck ANY of today's PF's?

The one time I saw Lebron guard a PF was when he guarded David West in Game 1 of last year's ECF... West thoroughly torched him - Spolestra stated he planned to put Lebron on West for the series, but he had to change the entire game plan after Game 1's abuse - no more Lebron on West for the rest of the series.

If there was EVER a time for Lebron to prove he can guard PF's it was in the 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 Finals - can someone show me where he guarded Dirk or Duncan even one time?.. I swear, the entire "Lebron guards all 5 positions" narrative is pure media BS.

Round Mound
04-21-2015, 12:09 AM
Also, lol at SHAQISGOAT saying bird was a better defender than lebron anywhere on the court.

:oldlol: :no: Barkley was the best post player of the early-mid 90s at the PF spot and Malone wasn`t a post player until the mid-late90s yet he was always a great face up shooter from in between the mid range and paint. Lebron could not guard either of them. Malone and Barkley where stronger than Lebron BTW.

iamgine
04-21-2015, 12:17 AM
Lebron guarded Pau Gasol before and did a nice job.

ProfessorMurder
04-21-2015, 12:20 AM
Bran was scared of David West.

3ball
04-21-2015, 12:20 AM
Lebron guarded Pau Gasol before and did a nice job.
Is that it?

MJ guarded Vlade Divac and did a nice job.

iamgine
04-21-2015, 12:23 AM
Is that it?

MJ guarded Vlade Divac and did a nice job.
Who asked about MJ?

sportjames23
04-21-2015, 12:23 AM
stfu

Eat shit, bitch and get out of my thread.

SHAQisGOAT
04-21-2015, 06:05 AM
Are we saying that Lebron is equal to Pippen in D???

Exactly. You can compare size, athleticism, physiques, role on the team and so on, as many times as you wish but while peak LeBron's a great defensive player he's not quite as great as a Scottie Pippen...

This fool can't keep my name out of his mouth :oldlol: As the saying goes, 'rent free'...

You've never even watched more from Bird than the usual, most known highlights, yet you always come in here acting like you know what you're talking about :rolleyes:
In terms of m2m post defense and also team D, Bird has the edge over LeBron... Although, like I've said, James is above Larry when it comes to overall defense, mostly due to athleticism though (Bird didn't quite have the lateral quickness to really shut down many players on the perimeter).

I can even hit you with a few examples. Educate yourself some before you act ignorant again, child...

Bird guarding Hakeem 1on1 in the post, blocking his shot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WivGOEznCU&t=2m11s

Here he is defending 7'2 Ralph Sampson down-low, mostly by ball denial (when a similar video of LeBron vs Gasol came around, his stans were going crazy over it :lol):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jULQiRy6Qg

250+ lbs Bill Laimbeer couldn't really back him down, then got stuffed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEAZMT5t_U&t=6m12s

Larry preventing Worthy from pulling off his patented spin-drive, then missed the jumper:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEAZMT5t_U&t=6m44s