PDA

View Full Version : Losing in the 1st round, Dirk's tainted legacy

IllegalD
04-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Will losing in the first round further taint Dirk's legacy of being known as a playoff choker?

Let's face it, when the Mavs traded for Rondo lots of people thought they would be a top 4 team in the west/league based on the talent they have on paper.

I keep hearing about how Dirk has this amazing "longevity" and yet here he is, no better than a roleplayer while his team gets spanked by a Rockets team that has mad injuries, their best player is a playoff choker who's game doesn't translate to the playoffs (shooting sub 40% in a rockets uniform) and a gimpy center who still doesn't have a go-to move.

This might be the most stacked team Dirk has had since that SUPERTEAM of multiple all-stars he had with Nash, Finley, Antwan Jamison, Antoine Walker, all in their relative primes.

Imagine if KG had the rosters that Dirk had. He would probably have like 3+ rings by now.

StephHamann
04-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Mavs are missing the starting PG Harris (Rondo LOL) and Parsons too.

Ellis is supposed to be the nr1 option and plays like shit.

Dirk had 24/8 on +60% shooting in game 1 you moron.

IllegalD
04-22-2015, 07:43 AM

Yeah because the Rockets don't have any injuries or anything... :facepalm

StephHamann
04-22-2015, 07:46 AM

http://oi41.tinypic.com/352fcq8.jpg

Sakkreth
04-22-2015, 07:48 AM

Rockets is just a better team, nothing to do with Dirk really. I would have Houston coming out west if they were with full lineup.

24-Inch_Chrome
04-22-2015, 07:53 AM
Still a top-5 all-time PF. This series doesn't affect his all-time legacy at all.

Real Men Wear Green
04-22-2015, 08:06 AM
He's 36. At his age most players are retired. Plus Dallas has issues (like the Rondo trade not working) that absolutely can't be placed on Nowitzki. People are trying way too hard to tear stars down. Everyone knows that Nowitzki has declined, he even took a pay cut so that the team could bring in more talent around him. He's a great player that has gotten old, that doesn't mean his whole career should be downgraded.

BlakFrankWhite
04-22-2015, 08:16 AM
he's the leader...and the leader always has to take the blame....regardless of performance.

chips93
04-22-2015, 08:23 AM
2 seeds are expected to beat 7 seeds ...

Trollsmasher
04-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Hakeem lost like 9 times in the 1st round and not even Kobetards bring that up when people put him over Kobe

IllegalD
04-22-2015, 08:34 AM
Hakeem lost like 9 times in the 1st round and not even Kobetards bring that up when people put him over Kobe

I'll make sure to from now on then. Thanks for the info, mate. :cheers:

I always knew "Hakeem>Kobe" was Kobe-hater bullsh*t, but this just confirms it further.

I mean, dude couldn't even win sh*it until Jordan retired. Meanwhile Kobe went through the best teams of the 2000s to get his rings: Dynasty Duncan/Pop Spurs, KG Celtics Big 3, 2000s Blazers, Nash/Amare Suns, 2000s Kings. :bowdown:

ArbitraryWater
04-22-2015, 09:17 AM
he's the leader...and the leader always has to take the blame....regardless of performance.

He's also 36............

Real Men Wear Green
04-22-2015, 09:21 AM
I mean, dude couldn't even win sh*it until Jordan retired. Meanwhile Kobe went through the best teams of the 2000s to get his rings: Dynasty Duncan/Pop Spurs, KG Celtics Big 3, 2000s Blazers, Nash/Amare Suns, 2000s Kings. :bowdown:
That's about as relevant as saying Bryant didn't win anything until MJ retired. Neither guy has a playoff series vs. Jordan's Bulls.

Derka
04-22-2015, 09:35 AM
No. Still an non-debatable Top 5 all-time PF and the best European player in history.

k0kakw0rld
04-22-2015, 09:47 AM

It's called empty stats. Who won the game again?

Game 2 Monta played very well, keepin the Mavs in the game. But Dirk was horrible down the stretch and throughout the 4th quarter.

StephHamann
04-22-2015, 09:52 AM

Game 2 Monta played very well, keepin the Mavs in the game. But Dirk was horrible down the stretch and throughout the 4th quarter.

Are you a Kobe fan? 8/23 is now called "playing very well".

IllegalD
04-22-2015, 09:56 AM
That's about as relevant as saying Bryant didn't win anything until MJ retired. Neither guy has a playoff series vs. Jordan's Bulls.

Actually, technically he DID win chips while Jordan was still playing (Wizards days)

Ummm... Hakeem's Rockets were from Jordan's era. Kobe's Lakers are not from Jordan's era. How is that even a legit retort...? :wtf:

It's simple. Hakeem never beat the best competition during HIS era (Jordan's Bulls) for his chips. Kobe continually beat the best teams of his era (the 2000's) to win his: Dynasty Spurs, Big 3 Celts, etc.

chocolatethunder
04-22-2015, 10:21 AM
Although Rondo barely played the second half, this season going south is on Donnie Nelson and Rondo. Rondo has been a total disruption. He was last in plus minus for the year on the team and he's been awful in the playoffs. I don't care how bad Jameer was defensively and how poorly he was shooting this year, the offense was better with him. Maybe the defense wasn't I actually don't know but don't care. Nelson is a good locker room dude and Rondo just pouts and acts stupid. He has made it almost impossible to play with him. Don't expect a bunch of fat contracts to be offered to him. If they don't get swept I'll be shocked.

SCdac
04-22-2015, 10:38 AM
I agree it's not fair to knock somebody of his age, but I question what it would take to build a championship team around Dirk nowadays, if realistically possible. It's not that easy and it takes an owner willing to spend a ton of money (Mavs were over the salary cap often and Cuban changed up his roster so often). If Dirk is having an off offensive night, he's not exactly making up for it on the other end, so it's tough

Mr Feeny
04-22-2015, 10:55 AM
Will losing in the first round further taint Dirk's legacy of being known as a playoff choker?

Let's face it, when the Mavs traded for Rondo lots of people thought they would be a top 4 team in the west/league based on the talent they have on paper.

I keep hearing about how Dirk has this amazing "longevity" and yet here he is, no better than a roleplayer while his team gets spanked by a Rockets team that has mad injuries, their best player is a playoff choker who's game doesn't translate to the playoffs (shooting sub 40% in a rockets uniform) and a gimpy center who still doesn't have a go-to move.

This might be the most stacked team Dirk has had since that SUPERTEAM of multiple all-stars he had with Nash, Finley, Antwan Jamison, Antoine Walker, all in their relative primes.

Imagine if KG had the rosters that Dirk had. He would probably have like 3+ rings by now.

This is an abysmal post. So many frivolous claims here that I'm wondering why people are actually retorting.

BuffaloBill
04-22-2015, 11:02 AM

You should just start posting straight into the cringe thread. Skip a step, save us all some time.

greatest-ever
04-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Oh stop. He's fu*cken 37 years old he isn't tainting anything his legacy is set.

pegasus
04-22-2015, 11:23 AM
He is a top-20 all-time and the best European to play in the NBA. His 2011 campaign was the most impressive in recent history, and nothing he can or can't do can change that.

Spurs5Rings2014
04-22-2015, 11:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/yhxDtI5.gif

He Strong
04-22-2015, 11:28 AM
This series does not reflect on Dirk at all because he is done and his team has no expectations of them.

SpecialQue
04-22-2015, 11:30 AM
He was the most important player on a championship team that went through the hardest competition in recent memory. Now he's old as shit and can only do so much to carry his team. His legacy is fine.

ShawkFactory
04-22-2015, 11:35 AM
Actually, technically he DID win chips while Jordan was still playing (Wizards days)

Ummm... Hakeem's Rockets were from Jordan's era. Kobe's Lakers are not from Jordan's era. How is that even a legit retort...? :wtf:

It's simple. Hakeem never beat the best competition during HIS era (Jordan's Bulls) for his chips. Kobe continually beat the best teams of his era (the 2000's) to win his: Dynasty Spurs, Big 3 Celts, etc.
So much fail. Kobe didn't have to go through the greatest player and second greatest dynasty of all time.

ArbitraryWater
04-22-2015, 11:37 AM
I agree it's not fair to knock somebody of his age, but I question what it would take to build a championship team around Dirk nowadays, if realistically possible. It's not that easy and it takes an owner willing to spend a ton of money (Mavs were over the salary cap often and Cuban changed up his roster so often). If Dirk is having an off offensive night, he's not exactly making up for it on the other end, so it's tough

:facepalm Why? :roll:

He's 36 years old, he's not supposed to be the leader on any title Teams, who is at 36? Was that really a smart question? Think about it.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-22-2015, 11:44 AM

He's 36 years old, he's not supposed to be the leader on any title Teams, who is at 36? Was that really a smart question? Think about it.
It's an expression, young foreigner.

What he means is that he doubts Dirk can be built around by. Pointing out the obvious there, but he's right.

ArbitraryWater
04-22-2015, 11:50 AM

What he means is that he doubts Dirk can be built around by. Pointing out the obvious there, but he's right.

Yes, I understood that part just fine..

kidding me? :lol

Re-read what I said.. don't think you got it.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Yes, I understood that part just fine..

kidding me? :lol

Re-read what I said.. don't think you got it.
Why question him then? Like I said, he's stating the obvious. You could have just replied with that. lol.

ArbitraryWater
04-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Why question him then? Like I said, he's stating the obvious. You could have just replied with that. lol.

I did... he said "I guestion..." and I said "why" ? Because it's absolutely useless to question, it's obvious and meaningless... why would you ask yourself such a question about a 36-year old?

Comprende?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-22-2015, 12:19 PM
I did... he said "I guestion..." and I said "why" ? Because it's absolutely useless to question, it's obvious and meaningless... why would you ask yourself such a question about a 36-year old?

Comprende?
It's not a literal question on his part. You're making my point, little guy. :D

ArbitraryWater
04-22-2015, 12:31 PM
It's not a literal question on his part. You're making my point, little guy. :D

It actually is, it's more literal than rhetorical, which is why he explained himself for another 2-3 lines.. you gotta stop now.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-22-2015, 12:34 PM
It actually is, it's more literal than rhetorical, which is why he explained himself for another 2-3 lines.. you gotta stop now.
Nobody is really "questioning" whether Dirk can be built around by.

He's expressing his doubts; the underlying meaning of his post should be obvious, even to ESL posters.

greatest-ever
04-22-2015, 12:45 PM

Dirk went to 2 finals, 3 WCF, won a championship and has been to the playoffs damn near every season out West. There is no question at all as to whether you can build around him.

What an incredibly asinine thing to say.

bballnoob1192
04-22-2015, 12:49 PM
lol people think so lowly of Houston that they expect a 7 seed to beat a 2 seed, and are criticizing the 7 seed and wondering why they arn't winning.........

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Dirk went to 2 finals, 3 WCF, won a championship and has been to the playoffs damn near every season out West. There is no question at all as to whether you can build around him.

What an incredibly asinine thing to say.
The discussion was about this season, not what Dirk has done in the past. Maybe you should actually try reading the thread? Just a suggestion.

clipps
04-22-2015, 01:00 PM

:facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
04-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Actually, technically he DID win chips while Jordan was still playing (Wizards days)Do I need to point out how irrelevant that is? You think Wizards MJ was the same level of player as Bulls MJ? And if we're going to do silly nitpicking instead of a real argument Olajuwon's second Championship MJ was back in the league. He wasn't as good as his norm but he was still much better than when he was in DC.

You can only play the team in front of you. The end.

ArbitraryWater
04-22-2015, 01:04 PM
Nobody is really "questioning" whether Dirk can be built around by.

He's expressing his doubts; the underlying meaning of his post should be obvious, even to ESL posters.

He actually is... to this season's Dirk, which the insane thing is. Like you said, it's too obvious to even question.

game3524
04-22-2015, 01:07 PM

He is a complementary piece at this point in his career. He just isn't dominate enough on offense anymore to off-set being a walking liability on defense.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-22-2015, 01:14 PM
He actually is... to this season's Dirk, which the insane thing is. Like you said, it's too obvious to even question.
Sdac is doubting him. You ask him personally and he'll say he doesn't think Dirk can be built around by. Obvious, yes, that's my point.

greatest-ever
04-22-2015, 01:14 PM
The discussion was about this season, not what Dirk has done in the past. Maybe you should actually try reading the thread? Just a suggestion.
I did read it and my point remains, it's a stupid and pointless thread.

Don't be an ass. Just a suggestion.

Taller than CP3
04-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Dirk is old, it doesn't matter now.

If anything tainted his legacy, it was in '07 winning MVP and losing to the 8th seed Warriors. But no one mentions it anymore because Dirk redeemed himself by winning a ring in '11.

SCdac
04-22-2015, 01:17 PM

He's their starting power forward and arguably still their most valuable player... If he wasn't such a nice guy and willing to win, he'd probably be higher paid... which begs the question, what would it take fiscally and managerially to get the Mavs back to the Finals? Adding a super star? (they tried to get Howard, Melo, D-Will, etc)? a better coach? (Carlisle is already one of the best today). Until he retires, it's still Dirk's team imo. Same for Duncan in SA and Kobe in LA. I can understand the notion that Monta's their best offensive player nowadays, but Dirk and Mavs fans should know more than anybody that even if Dirk is a role player / complementary player nowadays.. he's a really really good one who's still the face of the franchise

SouBeachTalents
04-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Dirk losing in the first round at 36 as a 7 seed will literally be forgotten by the time the second round starts. Smh at this affecting his "legacy"

ArbitraryWater
04-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Sdac is doubting him. You ask him personally and he'll say he doesn't think Dirk can be built around by. Obvious, yes, that's my point.

:wtf:

I don't think even Sdac gets what you say.. its hilarious we're having this convo. Lets wait for the guy himself, although I think he'll draw back since its such a ridiculous thing to question, which is what I said all along.

You're difficult.

He's their starting power forward and arguably still their most valuable player... If he wasn't such a nice guy and willing to win, he'd probably be higher paid... which begs the question, what would it take fiscally and managerially to get the Mavs back to the Finals? Adding a super star? (they tried to get Howard, Melo, D-Will, etc)? a better coach? (Carlisle is already one of the best today). Until he retires, it's still Dirk's team imo. Same for Duncan in SA and Kobe in LA. I can understand the notion that Monta's their best offensive player nowadays, but Dirk and Mavs fans should know more than anybody that even if Dirk is a role player / complementary player nowadays.. he's a really really good one who's still the face of the franchise

we got our answer.. look kuniva, it WAS a literal question.

you learned somethin' today eh :cheers:

DMAVS41
04-22-2015, 01:20 PM

It's a legit question now and that is all he said. I think the team that could win it would be something like.

Jrue Holiday
Danny Green
Leonard
Dirk
Tyson

IT, Harris, Aminu, Steven Adams, Barea

So... Just a prett loaded team. But that is what it almost always takes.

ArbitraryWater
04-22-2015, 01:23 PM
No they couldn't.... you can't win with Dirk as your best player at 36, 37 in June, it's ridiculous to assume tbh.

Kawhi is clearly the best player on that team.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-22-2015, 01:26 PM
I did read it and my point remains, it's a stupid and pointless thread.

Don't be an ass. Just a suggestion.

Wait, you actually think a 36 year old Dirk can be built around by? :facepalm

DMAVS41
04-22-2015, 01:28 PM
No they couldn't.... you can't win with Dirk as your best player at 36, 37 in June, it's ridiculous to assume tbh.

Kawhi is clearly the best player on that team.

What?

Dirk can't be the best player on a title team anymore and unless I missed something SCdac just asked what it would take to win.

And that team I listed would have a great shot at it like 4 or 5 other teams.

ArbitraryWater
04-22-2015, 01:31 PM
What?

Dirk can't be the best player on a title team anymore and unless I missed something SCdac just asked what it would take to win.

And that team I listed would have a great shot at it like 4 or 5 other teams.

why is this so hard to understand.. 'around Dirk', as in 'with Dirk as your leader'... guess you interpret it differently? That makes no sense though... we all know a team can win with Dirk as 3rd-5th option...

DMAVS41
04-22-2015, 01:32 PM
why is this so hard to understand.. 'around Dirk', as in 'with Dirk as your leader'.

That doesn't mean that for sure. The phrase "around Dirk" could just mean what players does he need around him.

LOL

And the team I listed would have him as the 1st or 2nd option on offense.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
04-22-2015, 01:32 PM
:wtf:

I don't think even Sdac gets what you say.. its hilarious we're having this convo. Lets wait for the guy himself, although I think he'll draw back since its such a ridiculous thing to question, which is what I said all along.

You're difficult.

we got our answer.. look kuniva, it WAS a literal question.

you learned somethin' today eh :cheers:
Guy saying that Dirk is a complementary player doesn't help your case, son.

:cheers:

Kblaze8855
04-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Dirk could be the best player on a title team today. most anyone even on an all star level could. just a matter of depth, coaching, luck, and chemistry. Dirk cant be the best if he has nobody else nearly as good as he is. He can be the best given a team that goes 8 deep with very good players like the Bulls.

Enough good players can beat anyone. Nobody has to be unstoppable. Though it does help.

Maybe we will get a look at tht if the Cavs and Hawks play.

ArbitraryWater
04-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Guy saying that Dirk is a complementary player doesn't help your case, son.

:cheers:

:oldlol: Bro don't deflect now... you lost, no biggie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/WOX_69/chump3.gif