PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan pushing for that GOAT crown in Basketball

k0kakw0rld
04-22-2015, 11:47 PM
:applause:

Unbelievable player. Once in a lifetime talent.

Already top 5 39 years old and still schooling dem young gunz :bowdown:

I can see him ending up top 3 (Mount Rushmore).

keep-itreal
04-22-2015, 11:49 PM
Goat gonna goat:rockon:

theaussieguy
04-22-2015, 11:50 PM
an absolute legend, would rep him if he posted here for sure

ShawkFactory
04-22-2015, 11:51 PM
Well don't do that.

But he and Pop work in benefit of each other every bit as Brady and Belichick do. Duncan might actually be the one who makes Pop so great. Dude does the correct thing every single time. It's really weird.

Smoke117
04-22-2015, 11:59 PM
He has absolutely no shot at GOAT. Kareem was better in his prime/peak and was significantly better at age 38. His accolades? They speak for themselves. And that's a guy that most consider 2-5 all time and not GOAT.

Magic 32
04-23-2015, 12:01 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198706140LAL.html

40 years old.

32 points (13-18 FG), 6 rebounds, 4 blocks.

beastee
04-23-2015, 12:05 AM
All the people saying he and the Spurs are washed up just don't get it. What a game for a career that is nothing short of fantastic. Still a star and a reason why the Spurs should never be doubted.

Lebron23
04-23-2015, 12:08 AM
He sacrifice his stats and playing time during his prime so that his teammates got the chance to shine, and improve. What a great leader.

Spurs5Rings2014
04-23-2015, 12:10 AM

He Strong
04-23-2015, 12:39 AM
Duncan is amazing. Nobody has aged so gracefully in bball besides Kareem.

Smoke117
04-23-2015, 12:41 AM

Tim Duncan averaged 14ppg at age 38...Kareem averaged 23 (26 in the playoffs)...nuff said?

He Strong
04-23-2015, 12:43 AM
Duncan's peak was 12 years ago. Let that sink in.

Magic 32
04-23-2015, 12:46 AM
Duncan's peak was 12 years ago. Let that sink in.

And one championship in the last 8 years.

He Strong
04-23-2015, 12:46 AM
Tim Duncan averaged 14ppg at age 38...Kareem averaged 23 (26 in the playoffs)...nuff said?

I certainly won't disagree that Kareem is better, but it is worth pointing out that Duncan is a better defender and rebounder than Kareem at that age.

PleezeBelieve
04-23-2015, 01:51 AM
At 38 Kareem was playing with a prime Magic...

Don't go there

Sarcastic
04-23-2015, 02:01 AM

Don't go there

He also played in a much tougher era for big men. Duncan can dominate the post because the post game is non existent in current NBA.

boozehound
04-23-2015, 02:07 AM
goat goatta goats

davehos
04-23-2015, 03:38 AM

This. Great players are great players. Simple as that.

Timmy D for MVP
04-23-2015, 03:47 AM
I don't want to speak for all Spurs fans but I truly thought the ride was over by 2011. It's absolutely amazing to me that the Spurs were in position to win a title all the seasons following, and were able to do it last season thanks in large part to a resurgence by Timmy.

What he's been able to do I've never seen in my lifetime. Many others mentioned it, only Kareem comes to mind when comparing how graceful he's aged.

SugarHill
04-23-2015, 03:51 AM
And one championship in the last 8 years.
damn dude is so great that you're taking parts of his career and complaining that he only won 1 ring :oldlol:

Wiltside
04-23-2015, 04:14 AM
damn dude is so great that you're taking parts of his career and complaining that he only won 1 ring :oldlol:

:lol

ImKobe
04-23-2015, 04:19 AM

Don't go there

Duncan has been on minutes restriction for more than a decade and currently has the deepest team in the league.

Kareem at the same age was a Finals MVP and averaged 23 ppg on 53% shooting the following season...and 27 ppg 2.4 bpg on 49,6% shooting against Hakeem in the Playoffs at 39...

J Shuttlesworth
04-23-2015, 04:22 AM
Duncan could win 3 more rings, and I'd still consider MJ GOAT

Lebron23
04-23-2015, 04:25 AM
Duncan could win 3 more rings, and I'd still consider MJ GOAT

This

Jordan have the stats, and the W's.

Artillery
04-23-2015, 05:35 AM
He also played in a much tougher era for big men. Duncan can dominate the post because the post game is non existent in current NBA.

Kareem's Lakers played in one of the weakest conferences in NBA history. West was a joke in the 80s.

kurple
04-23-2015, 05:54 AM
because bball has evovlved a lot since the 80's

tougher to be a post scorer in the modern game

IllegalD
04-23-2015, 06:32 AM
Can't be the GOAT when you've never been able to repeat/defend your title... :facepalm

ImKobe
04-23-2015, 06:34 AM
Kareem's Lakers played in one of the weakest conferences in NBA history. West was a joke in the 80s.

39 yr old Kareem averaged 27 ppg on near 50% shooting against Hakeem in the Playoffs

FMVP going up against the Celtics with Parish and McHale...

Conference overall was meh, but they proved it in the Finals more often than none, Magic and Kareem 5/8 in one decade.

rmt
04-23-2015, 07:46 AM

They must think that the SW division is chopped liver - all 5 teams made the playoffs in the brutal West.

Great game by Timmy - just continues to amaze.

Haymaker
04-23-2015, 07:50 AM

The best centers of his late years peaked after he retired. Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson emerged after, Mutombo too, Mourning, Shaq, etc. He had to deal with the Mark Eatons and Robert Parishes of the league, too inferior to do anything.

Dizzle-2k7
04-23-2015, 08:59 AM
He has absolutely no shot at GOAT. Kareem was better in his prime/peak and was significantly better at age 38. His accolades? They speak for themselves. And that's a guy that most consider 2-5 all time and not GOAT.

LOL kareem big softy... must be nice playing with MAGIC the goat PG and an all time stacked squad every year

fukk outta here.. kareem wouldnt even start in todays league.. he'd get bullied left n right

tim duncan is the greatest big man of all time and a top 3 player (mj, duncan, russell)

ninephive
04-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Coming in to this year he was top 3-5. If he keeps doing this in the playoffs, he will add to his case for GOAT. His main argument IMO against Jordan is that Jordan proved he couldn't win without a really good team & coach, but we don't know what Timmy would do. Kareem's main resume weakness is that he played with 2 top-15 players. Timmy never played with 1.

Ne 1
04-23-2015, 09:25 AM
stacked squad every year

Kareem had what, Oscar on his last legs? This was especially obvious in the '74 season. After that, prime Kareem never really got the teams to compete, like Jordan had, or Bird/Magic had. Kareem was literally leading 15-20 win teams to 50+ wins for the later portion of the 70s.

BlakFrankWhite
04-23-2015, 09:58 AM
#2 All time

more longetivity then Bird,Magic....

never jumped teams like KAJ

Noob Saibot
04-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Grandpa Duncan schoolin' all these man children with the art of postups. sad really.

nightprowler10
04-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Man, I love TD to bits, but he's not top 5.

Carbine
04-23-2015, 11:37 AM
People just posting Kareems PPG as the reason why he was better. SMH

Duncan is still an elite rebounder and defender. Kareem you could argue was a liability in both areas at an advanced age.

gts
04-23-2015, 12:06 PM
The best centers of his late years peaked after he retired. Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson emerged after, Mutombo too, Mourning, Shaq, etc. He had to deal with the Mark Eatons and Robert Parishes of the league, too inferior to do anything.:facepalm You obviously started watching BBall in the 90's

Showtime80'
04-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Please!!! A 1986-87 Kareem would murder this soft no post playing NBA like it was nothing. Look at what Tim Duncan can do at his age to one of the most athletic frontlines in the league! A 38 year old Kareem would drop at least 40 on Blake and DeAndre, just ask Hakeem and Sampson!

And please stop with the whole "it's so difficult to score in the post" BS. The REAL reason for that is because classic post skills are DEAD!!! Except of course for Duncan who can still give free lessons on any given night, too bad the present crop of bigs are all athleticism and no brains to learn something from a master post player!

305Baller
04-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Please!!! A 1986-87 Kareem would murder this soft no post playing NBA like it was nothing. Look at what Tim Duncan can do at his age to one of the most athletic frontlines in the league! A 38 year old Kareem would drop at least 40 on Blake and DeAndre, just ask Hakeem and Sampson!

And please stop with the whole "it's so difficult to score in the post" BS. The REAL reason for that is because classic post skills are DEAD!!! Except of course for Duncan who can still give free lessons on any given night, too bad the present crop of bigs are all athleticism and no brains to learn something from a master post player!

:pimp:

wally_world
04-23-2015, 12:38 PM

You can turn it the other way around.

Current NBA allows the perimeter to have a much easier game, thus it is even tougher for post players to dominate.

Showtime80'
04-23-2015, 12:51 PM
Again Kareem killed HARD ZONES in college with no 3 point shot in existence, no shot clock and dunking band!

You think today's NBA soft zone (which virtually nobody uses) and the plethora of mediocre centers on display would even make Kareem flinch? Please. Total domination by the Captain is what would take place and we're not even talking about the 70's Kareem, I salivate to think what that version would do now!

oarabbus
04-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Again Kareem killed HARD ZONES in college with no 3 point shot in existence, no shot clock and dunking band!

You think today's NBA soft zone (which virtually nobody uses) and the plethora of mediocre centers on display would even make Kareem flinch? Please. Total domination by the Captain is what would take place and we're not even talking about the 70's Kareem, I salivate to think what that version would do now!

Wow, how did basketball and its players get so much worse over the last 30 years? Football players are better, baseball players are better, swimmers are better, runners are better, hell even cars and planes are better... but somehow basketball players today suck!

T_L_P
04-23-2015, 01:06 PM
http://streamable.com/zxno

No player in the NBA has a desire to win more than Duncan.

Showtime80'
04-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Because basketball unlike all the other sports you mentioned hitched it's wagon on the image, style of play and marketing of one man by the name of Michael Jordan!!! After that athleticism became a priority over basic skills and fundamentals. The problem with that is that basketball like soccer per se doesn't really require brut physical or athletic force to excel at it, great technique, skill and fundamentals can overcome any athletic disadvantage (Lionel Messi ring a bell) and those are the qualities that the 80's guys had in spades.

I would agree that you have more ATHLETES now but the 80's had better BASKETBALL PLAYERS overall, no coincidence that it was the last decade before the "I wanna be like Mike" syndrome took hold and everybody has seen the drastic effects that's had on the quality of play

ApexPredator
04-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Imagine if he had won in 2013 too.

Sarcastic
04-23-2015, 01:46 PM
You can turn it the other way around.

Current NBA allows the perimeter to have a much easier game, thus it is even tougher for post players to dominate.

Current NBA you can't camp the paint. If you have post skills, you can score at will in current NBA. Look at Al Jefferson. He'd be awful in previous era, but is a top big man today. This is why Jahlil Okafor is gonna come in and dominate. He has better post moves than like 99% of players.

Odinn
04-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Duncan has no shot at becoming the GOAT title. His peak isn't simply not enough. I admire his 2002-03 season and put it right there in top 10 peak seasons. But when you think about as in 1999-00 Shaq or 1990-91 Jordan vs. 2002-03 Duncan, you'd understand what I mean. And a player won't become the goat in his 39. What he has been achieving gets his case and legacy stronger but the GOAT always will be recognized by the absolute level of play.

Also;

Notable bigs which Duncan played against in his career;
S. O'Neal 6 times
D. Nowitzki 6 times
A. Stoudemire 5 times
S. Marion 3 times
P. Gasol 3 times
K. Garnett 2 times
C. Bosh 2 times
Z. Randolph 2 times
M. Gasol 2 times
K. Martin 2 times
S. Ibaka 2 times
R. Wallace 2 times
B. Wallace 1 time
K. Malone 1 time
B. Griffin 1 time
L. Aldridge 1 time
D. Howard 1 time
M. Camby 1 time
T. Chandler 1 time
D. West 1 time
A. McDyess 1 time

Not bad. Huh?

Smoke117
04-23-2015, 01:58 PM
LOL kareem big softy... must be nice playing with MAGIC the goat PG and an all time stacked squad every year

fukk outta here.. kareem wouldnt even start in todays league.. he'd get bullied left n right

tim duncan is the greatest big man of all time and a top 3 player (mj, duncan, russell)

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/14kwrhk.gif

By the way...Russell is top 3 according to you, but Kareem would be bullied and not start in this league? Way to be a stupid bastard.

Sarcastic
04-23-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm not talking about who Duncan has played in the past, nor was I talking about who Kareem played. I was trying to say the current NBA is structured so that anyone with a semblance of a post game can get points in the post. It's the reason Duncan can still dominate at such an older age.

Odinn
04-23-2015, 02:09 PM
I'm not talking about who Duncan has played in the past, nor was I talking about who Kareem played. I was trying to say the current NBA is structured so that anyone with a semblance of a post game can get points in the post. It's the reason Duncan can still dominate at such an older age.
It's more like one of the reasons. You've been presenting this argument as the main or the only reason. He's the only true big in Spurs roster. He has no help in the inside, if you consider the bolded part as a con, you should consider this as a plus on his behalf. The Spurs are basically Duncan + Kawhi + 3 guards. His defending and rebounding skills are among the most important things for the Spurs. And these sides of the ball are far less dependant to the competition.

NumberSix
04-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Duncan is both underrated and overrated.

He's underrated by the type that don't think his game is flashy enough. He's overrated by the blind ring counting crowd.

dubeta
04-23-2015, 05:39 PM
That ship sailed before he was even drafted.

julizaver
04-24-2015, 02:01 AM
Duncan is both underrated and overrated.

He's underrated by the type that don't think his game is flashy enough. He's overrated by the blind ring counting crowd.

This. For me he is an All-time great with Top10 resume, but I am leaving him outside of Top 10 as a player, while he is in top 20 for sure. Tim Duncan prime ended some 10 years ago and while he is still able to took over some games, he could not do it for whole series.

24-Inch_Chrome
04-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Top-5, yes, GOAT, no.

Burgz V2
04-24-2015, 02:08 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198706140LAL.html

40 years old.

32 points (13-18 FG), 6 rebounds, 4 blocks.

Damn, 19 assists from Magic, that shit was too easy for him

LA_Showtime
04-24-2015, 02:30 AM
I just think it cements the fact how special Tim Duncan is... there has always been chatter that Duncan was drafted into such a fortunate situation, but now people realize Duncan played a huge role into why it's a fortunate situation to begin with.

Johnni Gade
04-24-2015, 03:32 AM
ouch

rmt
04-24-2015, 04:12 PM
I just think it cements the fact how special Tim Duncan is... there has always been chatter that Duncan was drafted into such a fortunate situation, but now people realize Duncan played a huge role into why it's a fortunate situation to begin with.

I think it's his attitude e.g. according to Leonard, Duncan apologized to his team mates for his 4th quarter last game - calling it one of his worst 4th quarters ever. It was not that bad and understandable with him tiring after playing heavy minutes and carrying the scoring load. Or when Steve Kerr says Duncan takes the blame for a loss even when scoring over 30.

But those kinds of example have filtered through the teams throughout the years. It's a great model for Leonard to follow and not an easy thing for a star to step aside and allow others to develop/grow/shine.

the_troof
04-24-2015, 05:40 PM
He was a huge part of the Spurs dominance but he was lucky to get drafted into such a great situation. Garnett had just about every tool Duncan had but never even came close to having the teammates or coaching until the end of his prime the first two years in Boston. The thing about Duncan that is impressive is his longevity; he was only the best player in the league 3 or 4 times throughout his career (Snaq was better at the start of his career, Kobe and Bron at the tail end)

T_L_P
04-24-2015, 05:45 PM
This. For me he is an All-time great with Top10 resume, but I am leaving him outside of Top 10 as a player, while he is in top 20 for sure. Tim Duncan prime ended some 10 years ago and while he is still able to took over some games, he could not do it for whole series.

8 years ago*, and his 10 year prime is about as long as any other all time great's.

So why is Duncan outside of your 10 really?

r0drig0lac
04-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Top-5, yes, GOAT, no.
/thread

ILLsmak
04-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Top-5, yes, GOAT, no.

I dunno if I can put him top 5 either. I'll give him 7. Still not putting him over the other six, as I always say.

He just hasn't done enough to overtake MJ, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Magic, Bird. Those guys have too tight resumes. Someone is gonna have to come in and really take the league by storm, not just have a good long career.

Kobe had some good accolades, too, but I'm not putting him in there.

-Smak

CavaliersFTW
04-24-2015, 06:52 PM

Unbelievable player. Once in a lifetime talent.

Already top 5 39 years old and still schooling dem young gunz :bowdown:

I can see him ending up top 3 (Mount Rushmore).
Of the modern era sure.

All-time he's pretty much got zero case over Jabbar, MJ, Wilt, Russell.

You could try to put them in order all-day long but on paper those 4 guys have the easiest to convince case over anyone simple because:

Best resume/talent blend all-time 1a
Best resume/talent blend all-time 1b
Most dominant all-time
Greatest winner all-time

That's the all-time Rushmore.

Duncan, and Kobe and Shaq and Lebron for that matter, are all not good enough to knock off any of those guys on paper but you could start a new rushmore for their era, and Tim Duncan would definitely belong.

IllegalD
04-24-2015, 06:58 PM
I dunno if I can put him top 5 either. I'll give him 7. Still not putting him over the other six, as I always say.

He just hasn't done enough to overtake MJ, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Magic, Bird. Those guys have too tight resumes.Someone is gonna have to come in and really take the league by storm, not just have a good long career.

Kobe had some good accolades, too, but I'm not putting him in there.

-Smak

- Kareem never won without another Top 10/GOAT candidate (first ring with Big O, other 4 rings with Magic). Kareem only has TWO Finals MVPs for his 6 rings.

- Wilt only won 2 rings despite being "the most dominant" in an era where he was way ahead of his time, and his counterpart managed to win 11. Only ONE Finals MVP.

- Russell won 11 rings in an era with way less teams. 5-6 rings in the modern era is comparable to Russell's 11 in the old days.

- Magic and Bird were not elite defensive players (the game is played on both sides of the court). Magic never won a ring without Kareem (another GOAT candidate/Top 10 All time). In Bird's first ring he wasn't even the Finals MVP (Cedric "Cornbred" Maxwelll was), and their longevity pales in comparison to guys like Duncan and Kobe.

People need to stop pretending like these beloved oldschool players have perfect legacies that can't be picked apart as easily as you do modern players.

dubeta
04-24-2015, 06:59 PM
Of the modern era sure.

All-time he's pretty much got zero case over Jabbar, MJ, Wilt, Russell.

You could try to put them in order all-day long but on paper those 4 guys have the easiest to convince case over anyone simple because:

Best resume/talent blend all-time 1a
Best resume/talent blend all-time 1b
Most dominant all-time
Greatest winner all-time

That's the all-time Rushmore.

Duncan, and Kobe and Shaq and Lebron for that matter, are all not good enough to knock off any of those guys on paper but you could start a new rushmore for their era, and Tim Duncan would definitely belong.

:oldlol:

Most dominant 18ppg finals scorer maybe

CavaliersFTW
04-24-2015, 07:22 PM
:oldlol:

Most dominant 18ppg finals scorer maybe
45 points 27 rebounds in the Finals at the age of 33

Twitter would break if that happened today.

By the way, isn't your favorite player notorious for 4 points in all the combined fourth quarters of the entire 2011 NBA Finals?

Damn.

CavaliersFTW
04-24-2015, 07:24 PM
- Kareem never won without another Top 10/GOAT candidate (first ring with Big O, other 4 rings with Magic). Kareem only has TWO Finals MVPs for his 6 rings.

- Wilt only won 2 rings despite being "the most dominant" in an era where he was way ahead of his time, and his counterpart managed to win 11. Only ONE Finals MVP.

- Russell won 11 rings in an era with way less teams. 5-6 rings in the modern era is comparable to Russell's 11 in the old days.

- Magic and Bird were not elite defensive players (the game is played on both sides of the court). Magic never won a ring without Kareem (another GOAT candidate/Top 10 All time). In Bird's first ring he wasn't even the Finals MVP (Cedric "Cornbred" Maxwelll was), and their longevity pales in comparison to guys like Duncan and Kobe.

People need to stop pretending like these beloved oldschool players have perfect legacies that can't be picked apart as easily as you do modern players.
There's no pretending... their resume's are simply stronger.

You can try and nitpick them sure, but you can nitpick a guy like Duncans even more...

dubeta
04-24-2015, 07:26 PM
45 points 27 rebounds in the Finals at the age of 33

Twitter would break if that happened today.

By the way, isn't your favorite player notorious for 4 points in all the combined fourth quarters of the entire 2011 NBA Finals?

Damn.

My favourite player is Wilt, so you might be right.

Just got the year mixed up.

IllegalD
04-24-2015, 07:26 PM
There's no pretending... their resume's are simply stronger.

You can try and nitpick them sure, but you can nitpick a guy like Duncans even more...

Prove to me how WILT, with just 2 rings and 1 Finals MVP in a weaksauce era where his counterpart won 11 is better than Duncan.... :confusedshrug:

CavaliersFTW
04-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Prove to me how WILT, with just 2 rings and 1 Finals MVP in a weaksauce era where his counterpart won 11 is better than Duncan.... :confusedshrug:
For starters, you tell me, why does Wilt only have 1 Finals MVP.

IllegalD
04-24-2015, 07:32 PM
For starters, you tell me, why does Wilt only have 1 Finals MVP.

Because the award didn't exist when he won his first championship.

What's your point? He would still only have 2 Finals MVP AT BEST. :confusedshrug:

CavaliersFTW
04-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Because the award didn't exist when he won his first championship.

What's your point? He would still only have 2 Finals MVP AT BEST. :confusedshrug:
Plus 4 MVP's, 11 rebound titles, 9 field goal titles, 7 scoring titles, an assist title... about 100 NBA records

A career full of literally hundreds of games with no-one-is-even-remotely-close dominance like these:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KCZ-deA857g/VR4pqaDm1GI/AAAAAAAAF9g/I54vVWH5cXA/s800/NBA%2520EDF%2520Warrios%2520vs%2520Boston%2520G2%2 528v2%2529%25201962.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LlxY5uZWHU8/VSR2Bw_sscI/AAAAAAAAGAo/XlK10qbvhBg/s800/Wilt%2520blocked%2520Bellamys%2520first%25209%2520 shots%2520rookie%2520game%2520debut.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-VUhB4N9oUDQ/T0noVOcVyYI/AAAAAAAADBE/Yuw0cwAoOZE/s800/Wilt%252026%2520of%252034%2520fg%2527s.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SUlkr6FUP1A/T0noWYam0bI/AAAAAAAADBk/ws9Npdd5umE/s800/Wilt%252018%2520for%252018.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3yR4_tFpyzk/VTrUuD5ty3I/AAAAAAAAGHs/ZinUPwQvqBI/s800/NBA%2520EDSF%2520Warrios%2520vs%2520Nationals%2520 G5%25201962%2528better%2520version%2529.jpg

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/4f513c626bb3f7c448000019-480/wilt-chamblerain-scores-100.jpg

Which means if you attempt to boil down his career to "but only 1 or 2 FMVP's doe" I'd have to conclude you may be mentally retarded.

dubeta
04-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Plus 4 MVP's, 11 rebound titles, 9 field goal titles, 7 scoring titles, an assist title... about 100 NBA records

A career full of literally hundreds of games with no-one-is-even-remotely-close dominance like these:

Which means if you attempt to boil down his career to "but only 1 or 2 FMVP's doe" I'd have to conclude you may be mentally retarded.

So he's basically a poor mans LeBron who played in a weaker era and displayed greater choking ability. :confusedshrug:

RoundMoundOfReb
04-24-2015, 07:50 PM
My favourite player is Wilt, so you might be right.

Just got the year mixed up.
:roll: :roll:

CavaliersFTW
04-24-2015, 07:55 PM
So he's basically a poor mans LeBron who played in a weaker era and displayed greater choking ability. :confusedshrug:
I'm not sure you know what that word means.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4aQxqiYvy2U/VTrXhw-vKAI/AAAAAAAAGIE/6M8T_eMnPRg/s0/NBA%2520EDF%2520Warrios%2520vs%2520Boston%2520G2%2 528v2.1%2529%25201962.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Funny%20NBA%20Record/Lebron%20James/aka%20big%20choker/lebron-james-2011-nba-final-4q.jpg

:roll: :roll:
Stop rolling before you hurt yourself. See above.

dubeta
04-24-2015, 07:58 PM
30 ---> 22 ----> 18

27 -----> 28 ------> 25

Whos the choker here? :confusedshrug:

CavaliersFTW
04-24-2015, 08:05 PM
30 ---> 22 ----> 18

27 -----> 28 ------> 25

Whos the choker here? :confusedshrug:
24 playoff games played as a scorer, 56 playoff games played as an offensive anchor that shared focus on facilitating, 80 playoff games played as a defensive anchor that did not concern himself with offensive possessions.

http://kommein.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/For-Dummies.gif

His playoff games played with his 3 different team roles were disproportionate in frequency relative to his regular season career stats.

Wilt played 24 playoff games as the teams dedicated volume scorer...

Season Age Tm Lg G MP FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA ORB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS FG% 3P% FT% MP PTS TRB AST
1959-60 23 PHW NBA 9 415 125 252 49 110 232 19 17 299 .496 .445 46.1 33.2 25.8 2.1
1960-61 24 PHW NBA 3 144 45 96 21 38 69 6 10 111 .469 .553 48.0 37.0 23.0 2.0
1961-62 25 PHW NBA 12 576 162 347 96 151 319 37 27 420 .467 .636 48.0 35.0 26.6 3.1

Combined NBA 24 1135 332 695 166 299 620 62 54 830 .478 .555 47.3 34.6 25.8 2.6

Wilt played 56 playoff games as a high-post playmaker and balanced defensive/offensive anchor.

Season Age Tm Lg G MP FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA ORB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS FG% 3P% FT% MP PTS TRB AST
1963-64 27 SFW NBA 12 558 175 322 66 139 302 39 27 416 .543 .475 46.5 34.7 25.2 3.3
1964-65 28 PHI NBA 11 536 123 232 76 136 299 48 29 322 .530 .559 48.7 29.3 27.2 4.4
1965-66 29 PHI NBA 5 240 56 110 28 68 151 15 10 140 .509 .412 48.0 28.0 30.2 3.0
1966-67 30 PHI NBA 15 718 132 228 62 160 437 135 37 326 .579 .388 47.9 21.7 29.1 9.0
1967-68 31 PHI NBA 13 631 124 232 60 158 321 85 29 308 .534 .380 48.5 23.7 24.7 6.5

Combined NBA 56 2683 610 1124 292 661 1510 322 132 1512 .543 .441 47.9 27.0 26.9 5.8

Wilt played 80 playoff games as defensive anchor and an opportunistic scorer.

1968-69 32 LAL NBA 18 832 96 176 58 148 444 46 46 250 .545 .392 46.2 13.9 24.7 2.6
1969-70 33 LAL NBA 18 851 158 288 82 202 399 81 42 398 .549 .406 47.3 22.1 22.2 4.5
1970-71 34 LAL NBA 12 554 85 187 50 97 242 53 33 220 .455 .515 46.2 18.3 20.2 4.4
1971-72 35 LAL NBA 15 703 80 142 60 122 315 49 47 220 .563 .492 46.9 14.7 21.0 3.3
1972-73 36 LAL NBA 17 801 64 116 49 98 383 60 48 177 .552 .500 47.1 10.4 22.5 3.5

Combined NBA 80 3741 483 909 299 667 1783 289 216 1265 .531 .448 46.7 15.8 22.3 3.6

Due to playoff formats changing and expanding during his career this is disproportionate from his career regular season games played under those same roles. Wow, who'd a thought one could explain his playoff stats like this so easily.

IllegalD
04-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Wow, who'd a thought one could explain his playoff stats like this so easily.

Still can't explain why Wilt only won 2 chips to Russell's 11 though... :confusedshrug:

konex
04-24-2015, 10:21 PM
LMAO. He has been a role player since 2007

T_L_P
04-24-2015, 10:23 PM

20/11/4 in 09.

Role player. LMAO.

DMAVS41
04-24-2015, 11:05 PM
20/11/4 in 09.

Role player. LMAO.

He was an 18/10/3 defensive monster in 13 that was the best player on a team that made the NBA finals.

He was first team all nba and all defense that year iirc.

Role player?

Dude is having longevity that is ****ing insane.

Derka
04-24-2015, 11:31 PM
LMAO, you.