PDA

View Full Version : Is the NBA getting unpredictable in terms of NBA Superstars??

Imtheman
04-25-2015, 01:55 AM
Taking a look at Kwahi, Curry, Harden..

When these players came into the league, I didn't envision them to be where they are today. I wouldn't have seen Harden as a premier scorer in this league nor the best SG in the league. I didn't think curry would be this good, I remember people talking negative about curry coming out of Davidson..

And Kwahi, never in a million years would anyone have guessed this stud out of San Diego State U would win DPOTY and a FMVP and maybe another FMVP by the age of 24..

I say that to say this, you never know what to expect now a days from players entering the league..

Remember when people thought Derrick Williams was the next big thing? Now look at him!

dubeta
04-25-2015, 02:01 AM
None of them are superstars tho

Prime_Shaq
04-25-2015, 02:02 AM
I don't know man... I just don't think Kawhi/Curry/Harden are as good as say LeBron/Kobe/Wade in recent years or Shaq/Duncan/Kobe/KG awhile back

keep-itreal
04-25-2015, 02:03 AM
one of them is manufactured

navy
04-25-2015, 02:05 AM
Probably this.

Kvnzhangyay
04-25-2015, 02:11 AM

When these players came into the league, I didn't envision them to be where they are today. I wouldn't have seen Harden as a premier scorer in this league nor the best SG in the league. I didn't think curry would be this good, I remember people talking negative about curry coming out of Davidson..

And Kwahi, never in a million years would anyone have guessed this stud out of San Diego State U would win DPOTY and a FMVP and maybe another FMVP by the age of 24..

I say that to say this, you never know what to expect now a days from players entering the league..

Remember when people thought Derrick Williams was the next big thing? Now look at him!

Kwahis not a superstar

Imtheman
04-25-2015, 02:14 AM
:

Come on man, be real. Kwahi I understand. James Harden and Curry are superstars.

If not, then what is it going to take for them to achieve that level?

Imtheman
04-25-2015, 02:16 AM
I don't know man... I just don't think Kawhi/Curry/Harden are as good as say LeBron/Kobe/Wade in recent years or Shaq/Duncan/Kobe/KG awhile back
I agree, you're right when it comes to that. Seems like Prime KG, Duncan, Kobe, Shaq were on a whole nother level.

Imtheman
04-25-2015, 02:17 AM
Did you guys consider Prime Tmac to be a superstar at that time? If so, then why not Harden? Or Curry?

Kvnzhangyay
04-25-2015, 02:23 AM
Did you guys consider Prime Tmac to be a superstar at that time? If so, then why not Harden? Or Curry?

I think all 3 were/are

DonDadda59
04-25-2015, 02:29 AM
'Superstar' is not a word I would use to describe any of those players you listed. The NBA is experiencing a lack of true, bonafide star talent (for various reasons, including rampant inuries). That's why role players are being elevated, 2nd options are winning scoring titles, etc.

It's also why the NBA is running with that corny 'new hero ball' campaign.

Heavincent
04-25-2015, 02:40 AM
You people are delusional if you don't think Curry is a superstar. Led the league in all star votes, led his team to 67 wins, shattered his own record for most 3's in a season, etc. He's doing shit that we haven't seen before. He's a bonafide superstar, both in terms of performance and popularity. Even casual basketball fans know who he is.

Carmelo ****ing Anthony is a superstar, but Curry, Harden, and Kawhi aren't? :roll:

dubeta
04-25-2015, 02:44 AM
You people are delusional if you don't think Curry is a superstar. Led the league in all star votes, led his team to 67 wins, shattered his own record for most 3's in a season, etc. He's doing shit that we haven't seen before. He's a bonafide superstar, both in terms of performance and popularity. Even casual basketball fans know who he is.

Carmelo ****ing Anthony is a superstar, but Curry, Harden, and Kawhi aren't? :roll:

No he's not.

24-Inch_Chrome
04-25-2015, 02:45 AM

What is he doing that hasn't been done already?

Heavincent
04-25-2015, 02:50 AM
What is he doing that hasn't been done already?

Name me someone else who made 284 3's in one season. Or 272 for that matter.

Greatest shooter ever, who also happens to have elite ball handling and passing skills, and plays solid defense as well. His skillset is unheard of.

24-Inch_Chrome
04-25-2015, 02:52 AM
Name me someone else who made 284 3's in one season. Or 272 for that matter.

Greatest shooter ever, who also happens to have elite ball handling and passing skills. His skillset is unheard of.

So just 3-pointers made? Because the rest of that is your opinion. Nash had that exact same skill set. :confusedshrug:

Heavincent
04-25-2015, 02:54 AM
So just 3-pointers made? Because the rest of that is your opinion. Nash had that exact same skill set. :confusedshrug:

Nash was great, but he couldn't score on the same kind of volume that Curry does, and Curry is also a much better defender.

24-Inch_Chrome
04-25-2015, 02:59 AM
Nash was great, but he couldn't score on the same kind of volume that Curry does, and Curry is also a much better defender.

:oldlol: Couldn't? Didn't (most of the time, anyway).

Nash gets underrated to such a ridiculous degree on this board. GOAT offensive impact from the point. You're right that Curry is a better defender but I don't think he's brought anything to the table offensively that we didn't see from Nash.

DMV2
04-25-2015, 03:07 AM
Superstars in strictly basketball context, yes both Curry and Harden are. They're the to 2 MVP for a reason.

And some people actually did saw it coming for both of them. Didn't exactly say superstar but saw real potential.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279295&page=3 Harden thread made just days before the trade. Once the trade happened some said he'd be a 24PPG scorer and leader of the Rockets.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211544 A couple of people thought Curry would become better than Rondo. 2011 Rondo was hyped as the #1 PG in the league.

DMV2
04-25-2015, 03:13 AM

Kawhi definitely flew under the radar but nobody thought Derrick Williams would be next big thing. Nobody! :biggums:

Who the fck said that? Everybody knew he was undersized. People said his ceiling was Paul Millsap or a bust.

Sarcastic
04-25-2015, 03:23 AM
Are you serious? Harden was the #3 pick. Curry has the bloodline. Kwahi is not a superstar.

Not hard to envision 2/3 making it.

AintNoSunshine
04-25-2015, 04:53 AM
LMAO 2 of them just happen to be on great teams. They are bare the best on their team. The other is manufactured.

The only superstars in the NBA is Bron, Servant and maybe Westbrick

Budadiiii
04-25-2015, 05:00 AM
Yeah, but Nash DID actually have elite ball handling, passing, court vision, decision making....

Saying Curry has elite passing is sorta, not true. He's good but certainly not great. Much better defender? ... Give me Steves effort all day, not like D at the PG position matters too much anyway though

Budadiiii
04-25-2015, 05:03 AM
The only superstars in the league are Durant and James Harden

Kobe_6/8
04-25-2015, 05:08 AM
According to PER Curry played as good as prime Wade or Kobe this season.

He has earned his superstar status for now...

Marchesk
04-25-2015, 05:28 AM
According to PER Curry played as good as prime Wade or Kobe this season..

Brow PER > Curry PER

LA_Showtime
04-25-2015, 05:37 AM
I think what's interesting - and good for the league and basketball brand as well - is that these are stars who are part of a system and really fit the idea of team basketball more so than the last generation of superstars.

LA_Showtime
04-25-2015, 05:40 AM
'Superstar' is not a word I would use to describe any of those players you listed. The NBA is experiencing a lack of true, bonafide star talent (for various reasons, including rampant inuries). That's why role players are being elevated, 2nd options are winning scoring titles, etc.

It's also why the NBA is running with that corny 'new hero ball' campaign.

I think talent's an issue but also how the game is being played nowadays. We're moving to a more free-flowing game where efficiency, team ball, etc. is emphasized. If this type of basketball sticks we'll probably see more stars who are fit for this style of play.

Imtheman
04-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Getting a lot of mixed responses here.

To respond to the guy that said Carmelo isn't a superstar.. I agree he hasn't shown and form of superstar lately, however for a while he was considered a superstar.

Imtheman
04-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Are you serious? Harden was the #3 pick. Curry has the bloodline. Kwahi is not a superstar.

Not hard to envision 2/3 making it.
Come on dude. Do your research man. No one expected Harden to be THIS good. Especially after the finals lose to the Heat.

No one expected curry to be who he Is today. People were labeling him as a potential bust. Stating that he wouldn't be able to do what he's done in college and take it to the NBA

Kwahi may not be there yet, but he's 23. Plenty of time. He will be a superstar one day.

Lensanity
04-25-2015, 11:42 AM
Anybody that couldn't tell that Harden would be a top 5 scorer at worst with his own team is a fvcking dumbass and should never watch basketball again.

24-Inch_Chrome
04-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Yeah, but Nash DID actually have elite ball handling, passing, court vision, decision making....

Saying Curry has elite passing is sorta, not true. He's good but certainly not great. Much better defender? ... Give me Steves effort all day, not like D at the PG position matters too much anyway though

Future repped. Nash gets slept on far too much.

jbryan1984
04-25-2015, 12:00 PM
They are superstars on the rise. I can agree totally on Curry. I never at all thought he would reach this level. I pretty much thought if anything, he would become what his dad was. One of the best shooters/scorers off a team's bench for years to come. Never thought he would lead his team to a number 1 seed. When GS traded Ellis, I don't think they knew either he would get this good, they just traded the older point guard with the higher salary.

Harden, I did actually think had the potential to be the best shooting guard in the league. Always did. I loved that young OKC team. Still such a shame OKC could not keep that group together. Will always go down as one of the worst trades ever with the Dirk/Tractor Traylor trade.

And yeah, I will say Leonard has surprised me too. Although, I should never question Pops, I was scratching my head why he was trading George Hill for this unknown kid, from a school not known for really producing NBA level basketball players. But, Pops usually knows what he is getting. Nobody saw anything in Parker, Manu, Danny Green, etc.

iamgine
04-25-2015, 12:09 PM

There's always been unexpected talent in any given time, not just nowadays. Heck even Jordan and Pippen wasn't expected to be nowhere close what they became.

SugarHill
04-25-2015, 12:11 PM
Harden and Curry are both superstars. This isn't arguable unless you're trying to make a lame cross era comparison which would be rife with bias. As far as the game today is concerned, the two players to top MVP voting are fvcking superstars. It does not get any more concrete than that.