PDA

View Full Version : How I would fix the draft

UK2K
04-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Instead of your draft position being based on your record that season, why not have it on a three year average?

If by doing that, you eliminate teams who are getting good draft position based on injury (Pacers, Heat, Knicks) or teams that just happened to slip one season. Also by doing it this way, you also continue to help teams who may have landed a decent player but its not enough to climb out of the hole (Bucks, Celtics).

For S&G's, bottom 5 each year:
2014-15
Magic
Lakers
Sixers
Knicks
Timberwolves

2013-14
Celtics
Jazz
Magic
Sixers
Bucks

2012-13
Pelicans
Suns
Cavs
Bobcats
Magic

If this were adopted, here would be the draft order this season:

1) Magic
2) Sixers
3) Kings
4) Timberwolves
5) Bucks

Something along those lines.

Other than the Sixers unheard of 10 year tank plan, running on a three year average eliminates teams looking to ship everything away for a lotto pick. Not to mention, going off a three year average makes it harder for teams to trade for lotto draft picks, because with so much more data (three years instead of one) it would be harder to determine which teams would suck the most.

And again, this way enables teams who are making moves but just cant get over the hump (Kings, Bucks). Those teams deserve to be rewarded, not punished because they drafted one player who made them a not so shit team.

Thoughts?

Giaodollo
04-25-2015, 02:18 PM
Thoughts?

Try to put more thought into your next thread instead.

UK2K
04-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Try to put more thought into your response.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/7RVDH/got-em/image.png

Fudge
04-25-2015, 02:20 PM
Crawl back in your hole and stay in the BTE, Giaodono. This place isn't for you.

GOT EEM!

Giaodollo
04-25-2015, 02:30 PM
Try to put more thought into your response.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/7RVDH/got-em/image.png
Hah got me.

To give you a serious response this would only make teams tank for longer stretches and if a new Lebron was on the horizon teams would start tanking in advance to plan their future on that. A team with an average placing of 3(I.e 2nd last, third last, fourth last) will go into their third season with an average of 3.5 and even finishing first(30) would give them the 12th spot in the lottery. So great teams could still get great picks

And why would teams that has injuries be penalized?

KobesFinger
04-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Most teams who miss the playoffs due to injury don't get the high picks anyway so I don't see the issue there.

UK2K
04-25-2015, 02:58 PM
Most teams who miss the playoffs due to injury don't get the high picks anyway so I don't see the issue there.

Lakers minus Kobe
Knicks minus Carmelo
Pacers minus Paul George
Heat minus Bosh

You dont say...

UK2K
04-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Hah got me.

To give you a serious response this would only make teams tank for longer stretches and if a new Lebron was on the horizon teams would start tanking in advance to plan their future on that. A team with an average placing of 3(I.e 2nd last, third last, fourth last) will go into their third season with an average of 3.5 and even finishing first(30) would give them the 12th spot in the lottery. So great teams could still get great picks

And why would teams that has injuries be penalized?

I would argue a team who finished in the bottom four three years in a row that magically finishes first probably isn't a team that will regularly finish first. Seems more like a fluke to me.

But again, you have the Bucks who are benefiting from a weak east, the Celtics who are benefiting from a weak east, and the Nets. They had one fluke season and made the playoffs and suddenly they're out of contention of any immediate help.

Its no wonder why teams tank completely. You hire Brad Stevens and have a decent season and wreck any chance of landing a day one impact player. So then I ask, why try to win at all? If you arent going to compete for the title, whats the point?

What was the point in the Celtics winning games? They could have had a top 10 pick (with my changes) which is what they really need, instead they get #16 cause they made the playoffs one fluke season.

Or the Bucks? You think they finish with such a record in an evenly balanced league? They're looking at a top 5 pick with a 3 year average, now they're going to get the #17th pick and next season, they'll be right back into mediocrity.

And you arent penalizing teams with injuries, you are just chalking the injury season up as an outlier. So Indiana is a top 2 team in the east last year, PG gets hurt, they have a bad season, and now they get the 11th pick.

Giaodollo
04-25-2015, 03:13 PM
I would argue a team who finished in the bottom four three years in a row that magically finishes first probably isn't a team that will regularly finish first. Seems more like a fluke to me.

But again, you have the Bucks who are benefiting from a weak east, the Celtics who are benefiting from a weak east, and the Nets. They had one fluke season and made the playoffs and suddenly they're out of contention of any immediate help.

Its no wonder why teams tank completely. You hire Brad Stevens and have a decent season and wreck any chance of landing a day one impact player. So then I ask, why try to win at all? If you arent going to compete for the title, whats the point?

What was the point in the Celtics winning games? They could have had a top 10 pick (with my changes) which is what they really need, instead they get #16 cause they made the playoffs one fluke season.

Or the Bucks? You think they finish with such a record in an evenly balanced league? They're looking at a top 5 pick with a 3 year average, now they're going to get the #17th pick and next season, they'll be right back into mediocrity.
Bucks coming off a third pick and nets traded away all their picks.

KobesFinger
04-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Lakers minus Kobe
Knicks minus Carmelo
Pacers minus Paul George
Heat minus Bosh

You dont say...

Knicks and Lakers would suck anyway. Heat and Pacers finished 10th and 11th respectively. Even the Thunder with Durant missing games finished 14th

outbreak
04-25-2015, 07:15 PM
Knicks and Lakers would suck anyway. Heat and Pacers finished 10th and 11th respectively. Even the Thunder with Durant missing games finished 14th

this. OP's idea is stupid.

el gringos
04-25-2015, 11:06 PM
I fix this draft like this

Make sure a bottom 4 chance team wins pick 2 or 3. Indiana, Phoenix, Utah, or okc getting one of those picks would be electric.

Minni @ 4 and philly @ 5 & 6. Makes trades the most likely.

Ny wins it. Makes trades more likely

ScarSymmetry
04-26-2015, 04:01 AM
Lakers minus Kobe
Knicks minus Carmelo
Pacers minus Paul George
Heat minus Bosh

You dont say...

LOL bro... 1 maybe 2 of those teams make it at best.

Lakers and Knicks are garbage regardless.

:hammerhead:

Adam Silver
04-26-2015, 04:19 AM
I prefer immediate fixes for financial reasons. It makes it difficult to make quick fixes for big markets if it is based on 3 years.

BlackWhiteGreen
04-26-2015, 09:57 AM

Celtics don't need to tank, they've got an empty cap sheet and picks left right and centre. Nets are only on a downward swing and the Celtics have their next 3 picks. The Mavs could go in any direction next year and the Celtics have their pick. Not unreasonable to suggest that next year the Nets could pick 10th, Mavs 14th and Celtics 15th, which could easily be used to move up or packaged to trade for a star (see Harden trade, 2012).

Dr.J4ever
04-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Instead of your draft position being based on your record that season, why not have it on a three year average?

If by doing that, you eliminate teams who are getting good draft position based on injury (Pacers, Heat, Knicks) or teams that just happened to slip one season. Also by doing it this way, you also continue to help teams who may have landed a decent player but its not enough to climb out of the hole (Bucks, Celtics).

For S&G's, bottom 5 each year:
2014-15
Magic
Lakers
Sixers
Knicks
Timberwolves

2013-14
Celtics
Jazz
Magic
Sixers
Bucks

2012-13
Pelicans
Suns
Cavs
Bobcats
Magic

If this were adopted, here would be the draft order this season:

1) Magic
2) Sixers
3) Kings
4) Timberwolves
5) Bucks

Something along those lines.

Other than the Sixers unheard of 10 year tank plan, running on a three year average eliminates teams looking to ship everything away for a lotto pick. Not to mention, going off a three year average makes it harder for teams to trade for lotto draft picks, because with so much more data (three years instead of one) it would be harder to determine which teams would suck the most.

And again, this way enables teams who are making moves but just cant get over the hump (Kings, Bucks). Those teams deserve to be rewarded, not punished because they drafted one player who made them a not so shit team.

Thoughts?

What 76er 10 year tank plan are you talking about?

Eric Cartman
04-26-2015, 10:56 AM
OP stop being stupid such a shitty idea.

Bucks would have a top 5 pick making the playoffs.

D-FENS
04-26-2015, 11:20 AM
I like the idea, but then you make it so if you draft in the top 5 after stinking for 3 years, you can't draft in the top 5 the following season.

Example based on proposed 2014 draft:
Draft order based on worst combined record over previous 3 seasons (13-14, 12-13, 11-12)

1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Sacramento Kings
3. New Orleans Pelicans
4. Charlotte Hornets
5. Orlando Magic

So for 2014-2015, none of those teams would be eligible for a top 5 pick, and they would slide to the last 5 picks of the lottery.

That means that the top 5 lottery teams for 2014-2015 would be based on worst combined record over the previous 3 seasons, minus the 5 teams from above:
1. Philadelphia 76ers
2. Minnesota Timberwolves
3. Detroit Pistons
4. Los Angeles Lakers
5. Milwaukee Bucks

That's much farer system. Teams with bad records for 3 years only get rewarded one year, and then penalised for 1 year. That makes draft picks very very valuable

D-FENS
04-26-2015, 08:03 PM
OP stop being stupid such a shitty idea.

Bucks would have a top 5 pick making the playoffs.

Good. Their reward for playing hard