PDA

View Full Version : Top 16 Teams make the playoffs

zoom17
04-27-2015, 10:38 PM
This needs to happen discuss.

SouBeachTalents
04-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Simmons mentioned this in his latest article

Your reseeded first round for 2015: Warriors-Celtics (1/16), Hawks-Bucks (2/15), Rockets-Thunder (3/14), Clippers-Pelicans (4/13), Grizzlies-Wizards (5/12), Spurs-Raptors (6/11), Cavs-Mavs (7/10), Blazers-Bulls (8/9)

Does that honestly look much better than what we have now?

outbreak
04-27-2015, 10:41 PM
If they are extending the season by a couple of weeks and with modern travel, why do we have conferences?

zoom17
04-27-2015, 10:44 PM

Spurs would rip the Raptors to shreds.

bluechox2
04-27-2015, 10:46 PM
all this fuss about seeding is based on what??? the thunder not making it???

Rose'sACL
04-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Spurs and clippers problems are more because of the stupid division winner gets top 4 seed rule.

Derka
04-27-2015, 10:47 PM
We'd have shittier match-ups and instead of Brooklyn, we'd have OKC. Not that big of a difference really.

zoom17
04-27-2015, 10:54 PM
I'm talking about going forward not just this year.

Sarcastic
04-27-2015, 11:15 PM
Why? The bottom of the West really isn't as good as people make it out to be. Truth is there are about 3-4 teams in the West that can legitimately win, and 2 teams in the East that can legitimately win. They'd be making huge changes (which affect a lot more aspects than you think) over a few teams that are/were not contenders anyway.

UK2K
04-27-2015, 11:34 PM
Why? The bottom of the West really isn't as good as people make it out to be. Truth is there are about 3-4 teams in the West that can legitimately win, and 2 teams in the East that can legitimately win. They'd be making huge changes (which affect a lot more aspects than you think) over a few teams that are/were not contenders anyway.
The Pelicans/OKC aren't much better than Nets/Boston....

Go on......

Genaro
04-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Only people against it are East teams fans. Any rational unbiased person would like the best teams in the playoffs for better games and series

Sarcastic
04-27-2015, 11:41 PM

Go on......

So? They wouldn't beat the Cavs/Bulls/Hawks in the first round either.

Derka
04-27-2015, 11:44 PM
Only people against it are East teams fans. Any rational unbiased person would like the best teams in the playoffs for better games and series
The first round would be a foregone conclusion either way. The real match ups wouldn't come until the 2nd round...just like now.

Sarcastic
04-27-2015, 11:48 PM

I'm sure if we ended up with say a GS vs LAC finals, everyone on the east coast would stay up late to watch.

:rolleyes:

Likewise, if we ended up with 2 EC teams in the finals, I'm sure everyone on the west would leave work early to tune in.

SouBeachTalents
04-27-2015, 11:51 PM
I'm sure if we ended up with say a GS vs LAC finals, everyone on the east coast would stay up late to watch.

Likewise, if we ended up with 2 EC teams in the finals, I'm sure everyone on the west would leave work early to tune in.

:biggums: The Finals games are the same time no matter who plays

Hittin_Shots
04-27-2015, 11:51 PM

Go on......

Boston were 2-0 vs Pelicans

Genaro
04-27-2015, 11:52 PM

Since I don't work in the NBA I don't really care about ratings. As a fan I just want to see the best games.
But I reckon they could just keep the Finals time as it is. Finals it's always 9 PM eastern time, isn't it?

Legends66NBA7
04-27-2015, 11:54 PM
Toronto gets blasted, regardless.

:yaohappy:

Sarcastic
04-27-2015, 11:57 PM
Since I don't work in the NBA I don't really care about ratings. As a fan I just want to see the best games.
But I reckon they could just keep the Finals time as it is. Finals it's always 9 PM eastern time, isn't it?

Contrary to what you care about, the ratings mean everything to the NBA. It's how they make their money.

If they were to go to that format, all the games would have to be shown at a uniform time for both coasts. If you got say a NY vs LA first round matchup, people in NY aren't going to stay up late to watch when the games are away. The NBA would kill their ratings so that a 2 teams (that have 0 chance to win anyway) can lose in the first round.

Like you guys are making a mountain out of molehill because of the first round. FIRST ROUND!!!!!

:biggums:

FLDFSU
04-28-2015, 12:00 AM

Not really. The same team is still going to win the championship.

It doesn't matter if the Spurs had to play in the current format or the top 16, they would still be the defending NBA champion.

I still don't see the point in changing it. So that the Mavs can go home in the second round instead of the first?

Who cares...

Genaro
04-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Contrary to what you care about, the ratings mean everything to the NBA. It's how they make their money.

If they were to go to that format, all the games would have to be shown at a uniform time for both coasts. If you got say a NY vs LA first round matchup, people in NY aren't going to stay up late to watch when the games are away. The NBA would kill their ratings so that a 2 teams (that have 0 chance to win anyway) can lose in the first round.

Like you guys are making a mountain out of molehill because of the first round. FIRST ROUND!!!!!

:biggums:
I know the ratings means a lot to the NBA. That's why I said that to ME as a fan what matters is the game. I don't know if they will do it but they should.

Don't you think Knicks fans would watch their teams play whatever the time? And then you got Fridays where you can put games late and weekends when games can be played in the afternoon.

It's just about the first round. You got teams getting a easier path to the finals every year because of the conference disparity. You got good teams without a playoff berth because of it.

DMAVS41
04-28-2015, 12:12 AM

It's not about that. It's about making it actually fair.

And yes...it looks a lot better because there won't be a handful of really good teams at home.

You know...like the Spurs or Clippers...

It's absurd that they won't both be in the 2nd round.

Looking at 1 year and not liking that matchups is the dumbest way to look at it.

It's about putting the 16 teams on equal footing in terms of their road to the title based on what they earned.

The Cavs won't play a team as good as the Clippers until the finals. They have a worse record than the Spurs. The Spurs are playing the Clippers in round 1.

The Mavs have the same record as the Bulls (really better because they played a much tougher schedule) and one team gets to play the Rockets on the road....the other plays the Bucks with home court.

The only fans of the current system are fans of shitty teams in the East that are afraid to play the Western teams in a series. And rightfully so...the West would destroy the East in the playoffs.

But it needs to get fixed because legacies and titles are too tied to how easy your road to the finals is. It's absurd that the Cavs, for example, wouldn't even have finished in the top 6 in the West...yet have an easier road to the finals than the best team in the league.

Just dumb.

DMAVS41
04-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Not really. The same team is still going to win the championship.

It doesn't matter if the Spurs had to play in the current format or the top 16, they would still be the defending NBA champion.

I still don't see the point in changing it. So that the Mavs can go home in the second round instead of the first?

Who cares...

So much bullshit. The playoffs are dictated by match ups and how tough the road is to even get to the finals.

The same team would absolutely not always win the title.

And yes, it would be nice as fans to see the best teams advance and play each other.

People really want to see 2 of the 4 best teams in the league play each other in round 1 while watching scrub East teams play each other?

So dumb...and like I said above...the only people that don't want it changed are fans of Lebron and East teams. And I get that, but at least don't pretend like you have an argument.

Your argument, or lack thereof, is that you don't want to have to play real teams en route to the finals.

Why don't you want the most fair system?

UK2K
04-28-2015, 12:43 AM
The Hawks are tied 2-2 with the Nets right now...

If you're gonna sit there and act like the Pelicans couldn't compete with the Hawks, as the Nets are doing, in a seven game series, I don't know what else to tell you.

UK2K
04-28-2015, 12:44 AM
Boston were 2-0 vs Pelicans
Houston was 4-0 against the Spurs last season.

Regular season records mean very little.

imnew09
04-28-2015, 12:54 AM

LOL your post is just like your name.

Healthy OKC will eat those teams alive. Pelicans have a chance at Bulls/Hawks as those 2 are struggling against the fken Nets and Bucks :facepalm

ArbitraryWater
04-28-2015, 07:41 AM

Well, it does, but it doesn't account for the fact that Western teams play each other and Eastern teams play each other, for the most part, in the regular season...

aj1987
04-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Round 1:

Warriors vs Celtics (Warriors in 4)
Hawks vs Bucks (Hawks in 5/6)
Rockets vs Thunder (Rockets in 6)
Clippers vs Pelicans (Clippers in 5)
Grizzlies vs Wizards (Grizz in 6)
Spurs vs Raptors (Spurs in 4)
Cavs vs Mavs (Cavs in 5)
Blazers vs Bulls (Bulls in 6)

Round 2:

Warriors vs Bulls (Warriors in 5)
Hawks vs Cavs (Cavs in 6)
Rockets vs Spurs (Spurs in 6)
Clippers vs Grizz (Clippers in 7)

Round 3:
Warriors vs Clippers (Warriors in 6/7)
Cavs vs Spurs (too difficult to predict)

Finals:
Warriors vs Cavs/Spurs

Sarcastic
04-28-2015, 08:25 AM
The Hawks are tied 2-2 with the Nets right now...

If you're gonna sit there and act like the Pelicans couldn't compete with the Hawks, as the Nets are doing, in a seven game series, I don't know what else to tell you.

Compete or beat?

We'd be making huge changes (because of an anomaly - West won't be dominant forever) so that a few different teams can LOSE in the first round. That's right. The teams you guys are complaining about have ZERO chance to win the title. Even if we went to top 16 make it, only the top 4 or 5 teams would be realistic contenders.

The first round does not matter as much as you guys seem to think.

Taller than CP3
04-28-2015, 08:43 AM
I think it'd be pretty cool because some of the matchups would be East Vs West and they only meet twice during the Season so anything goes in the Playoffs and they won't have much time to prepare for each other and aren't as familiar with each other's playstyles so it'd be interesting watching Grizzlies vs Wizards, Spurs vs Raptors, etc. instead of the same teams always facing each other in their conferences.

Wiltside
04-28-2015, 11:20 AM

Please explain. The only obvious one to me is the extra cost and time of travel.

FLDFSU
04-28-2015, 11:44 AM
It's not about that. It's about making it actually fair.

And yes...it looks a lot better because there won't be a handful of really good teams at home.

You know...like the Spurs or Clippers...

It's absurd that they won't both be in the 2nd round.

Looking at 1 year and not liking that matchups is the dumbest way to look at it.

It's about putting the 16 teams on equal footing in terms of their road to the title based on what they earned.

The Cavs won't play a team as good as the Clippers until the finals. They have a worse record than the Spurs. The Spurs are playing the Clippers in round 1.

The Mavs have the same record as the Bulls (really better because they played a much tougher schedule) and one team gets to play the Rockets on the road....the other plays the Bucks with home court.

The only fans of the current system are fans of shitty teams in the East that are afraid to play the Western teams in a series. And rightfully so...the West would destroy the East in the playoffs.

But it needs to get fixed because legacies and titles are too tied to how easy your road to the finals is. It's absurd that the Cavs, for example, wouldn't even have finished in the top 6 in the West...yet have an easier road to the finals than the best team in the league.

Just dumb.

The only way to make it "fair" under your approach would be to have every nba team play each other 2x and then the top 16 or 8 teams make the playoffs.

The NBA would never do that because that means less games.

The NBA cannot have everyone play 3 games against one another because, under your "fairness" theory, one team is playing the 76ers 1 more time, at home, than is playing the Spurs on the road.

The NBA cannot pick 4 games because that would be way too much games and the players association would never stand for that.

But if the NBA was willing to let everyone play each other twice and then have the top 8 or 16 or whatever team make it from there...then that would work.

But it still won't change who the NBA champion is going to be...over the course of 7 game series...the best team will win 95% of the time. Over the course of 4, 7 games series...the best team will in the championship 98% of the time.

FLDFSU
04-28-2015, 11:55 AM
So much bullshit. The playoffs are dictated by match ups and how tough the road is to even get to the finals.

And yes, it would be nice as fans to see the best teams advance and play each other.

People really want to see 2 of the 4 best teams in the league play each other in round 1 while watching scrub East teams play each other?

So dumb...and like I said above...the only people that don't want it changed are fans of Lebron and East teams. And I get that, but at least don't pretend like you have an argument.

Your argument, or lack thereof, is that you don't want to have to play real teams en route to the finals.

Supposedly the Clippers will have a hard path to the Finals...okay...
If the Clippers defeat the Spurs, and then the Rockets, and then the Warriors...

Then guess what they're reward would be? They get to beat up on the weaker East conference representative...

Much like your Mavs got to do in 2011 en route to the championship.

But if they lose to the Hawks in the Finals...It means that they are not the best team in the playoffs...because they failed to beat the weak East representative.

I will say it again. The NBA playoffs is not about determining who is the second or third or fourth best team in the NBA playoffs is...

If you want to determine if the last year's Pacers were better than last year's Warriors...it would take having an extra 15 rounds of series where all the losing teams play each other round by round.

The NBA playoffs is about determining who the BEST team is. It is a poor tool for determining anything else.

FLDFSU
04-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Round 1:

Cavs vs Mavs (Cavs in 5)

Round 2:

Round 3:

Finals:
Warriors vs Cavs/Spurs

So basically the same result as if we leave it the same?

The same result that Vegas has?

So why are we changing it again?

Oh, that's right because we want to see the Thunder get swept in the first round instead of Boston :rolleyes:

DMAVS41
04-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Supposedly the Clippers will have a hard path to the Finals...okay...
If the Clippers defeat the Spurs, and then the Rockets, and then the Warriors...

Then guess what they're reward would be? They get to beat up on the weaker East conference representative...

Much like your Mavs got to do in 2011 en route to the championship.

But if they lose to the Hawks in the Finals...It means that they are not the best team in the playoffs...because they failed to beat the weak East representative.

I will say it again. The NBA playoffs is not about determining who is the second or third or fourth best team in the NBA playoffs is...

If you want to determine if the last year's Pacers were better than last year's Warriors...it would take having an extra 15 rounds of series where all the losing teams play each other round by round.

The NBA playoffs is about determining who the BEST team is. It is a poor tool for determining anything else.

Again... Just no.

How hard a path is plays a large role here. The Hawks could win, but only because of an absurdly easy path.

If you think the Hawks could go through Spurs, rockets, Warriors, and then Cavs or whomever... You have lost your mind.

The Spurs/Clips are getting worn down right now... While Lebron is resting for a week. It's a large advantage and it's stupid.

The system doesn't have to be perfect... Just has to not reward crappy East teams that don't deserve it.

Sorry you don't want fairness... Players and fans do

Bernkastel
04-28-2015, 12:11 PM
West fans so mad. It will never change. :lol

There's no need to meddle with stuff that doesn't need to be meddled with.

"Fairness"? Go back to kindergarten, this is a league for adults.

T_L_P
04-28-2015, 12:13 PM

Since all of the four best teams have the chance to advance past the first round, 100 percent yes.

Droid101
04-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Spurs/Clips should NOT be meeting in the first round. It's stupid. This change needs to be made, and Silver said he's going to be considering it this summer.

FLDFSU
04-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Again... Just no.

How hard a path is plays a large role here. The Hawks could win, but only because of an absurdly easy path.

If you think the Hawks could go through Spurs, rockets, Warriors, and then Cavs or whomever... You have lost your mind.

The Spurs/Clips are getting worn down right now... While Lebron is resting for a week. It's a large advantage and it's stupid.

The system doesn't have to be perfect... Just has to not reward crappy East teams that don't deserve it.

Sorry you don't want fairness... Players and fans do

How would the Hawks not be deserving of the NBA title in that case? How do you know what the Hawks can do? I recall a very many people claiming that the Mavs could never win the NBA championship given their path...

Should the 2011 Mavs pack their bags and refuse to play in the playoffs that year?

And like I said, the only way to get "fairness" is to have everyone play each other 1 or 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 times in the regular season. Which will probably never happen.

I will say it again. The Green Bay Packers or the San Francisco 49ers can jump up and down screaming about how if they were in the Superbowl they would have defeated the Pats and the Broncos...the fact of the matter is you cannot defeat the Seahawks...

You are not the best team in the NFL.

The Seahawks can jump up and down screaming about how much harder their path to the SB was than the Patriots...the fact of the matter is you did beat the Pats when given the chance...

Therefore you are not the best team in the NFL.

aj1987
04-28-2015, 12:26 PM
So basically the same result as if we leave it the same?

The same result that Vegas has?

So why are we changing it again?

Oh, that's right because we want to see the Thunder get swept in the first round instead of Boston :rolleyes:
Yes.

FLDFSU
04-28-2015, 12:29 PM
West fans so mad. It will never change. :lol

There's no need to meddle with stuff that doesn't need to be meddled with.

"Fairness"? Go back to kindergarten, this is a league for adults.

Right. And the only way to achieve "fairness" would be to have everyone play each other 1 or an even number of times through the course of the regular season.

You cannot have an odd number of games because that too would be "unfair" to which ever team has to play the Spurs or Warriors or Clippers or Rockets or Memphis an extra game while the other team does not...they would get to play the Knicks or Magic or "insert whatever eastern conference team here"

zoom17
04-28-2015, 12:30 PM
Round 1:

Cavs vs Mavs (Cavs in 5)

Round 2:

Round 3:

Finals:
Warriors vs Cavs/Spurs

Spurs would crush the Cavs.

oarabbus
04-28-2015, 12:37 PM

:facepalm: troll post?

Bernkastel
04-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Right. And the only way to achieve "fairness" would be to have everyone play each other 1 or an even number of times through the course of the regular season.

You cannot have an odd number of games because that too would be "unfair" to which ever team has to play the Spurs or Warriors or Clippers or Rockets or Memphis an extra game while the other team does not...they would get to play the Knicks or Magic or "insert whatever eastern conference team here"

I know. The West is unreasonably strong this season, but the series aren't guaranteed to be competitive. I mean, do you want to see the Mavs lose a bit later? Or Portland get punked later from their injuries?

There's nothing wrong with this system. Most of the West clearly didn't have a chance this season for one reason or another.

Hey Yo
04-28-2015, 12:39 PM

It's called "wanting to be able to watch your team"

This year would have been Boston vs. GS.

You really think Celtics fan who's got to be up at 6:00am Wed and Friday morning for work is going to stay up till 1:00-1:15am to see the whole game? You'll be lucky to get that guy watch the 1st quarter let a lone the whole game. You really think that the 68yr old retired Celtics fan is going to stay up that late?

Would GS fan who works till 5:00pm and doesn't get home for another 45mins is going to be happy that he just missed over half the game?

Like it's already been said. The NBA is about ratings. They sell time for commercials because of the ratings. If fans can't watch their team, then they make less money......FACT!

To base it on "cause the East fan is afraid of the competition" is stupid as hell.

Droid101
04-28-2015, 12:42 PM
It's called "wanting to be able to watch your team"

This year would have been Boston vs. GS.

You really think Celtics fan who's got to be up at 6:00am Wed and Friday morning for work is going to stay up till 1:00-1:15am to see the whole game? You'll be lucky to get that guy watch the 1st quarter let a lone the whole game. You really think that the 68yr old retired Celtics fan is going to stay up that late?

Would GS fan who works till 5:00pm and doesn't get home for another 45mins is going to be happy that he just missed the first quarter or more?

Like it's already been said. The NBA is about ratings. They sell time for commercials because of the ratings. If fans can't watch their team, then they make less money......FACT!

To base it on "cause the East fan is afraid of the competition" is stupid as hell.
Oh, this retarded canard again?

I guess people are always just Sooooo upset that when the Finals roll around they're constantly missing the first quarter/not wanting to stay up late to watch the end.

What's that you say? That doesn't actually happen?

Bernkastel
04-28-2015, 12:48 PM
People are more likely to adjust for the Finals than the first round.

Droid101
04-28-2015, 12:50 PM
People are more likely to adjust for the match ups that they most want to watch.
Fixed that for you.

Hey Yo
04-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Oh, this retarded canard again?

I guess people are always just Sooooo upset that when the Finals roll around they're constantly missing the first quarter/not wanting to stay up late to watch the end.

What's that you say? That doesn't actually happen?
Since when does the Finals start at 10:30 on the East cost?

Droid101
04-28-2015, 12:52 PM
Since when does the Finals start at 10:30 on the East cost?
So wait, are you telling me that the NBA would *gasp* adjust the scheduled start times for the series that will produce the most ratings?

Hittin_Shots
04-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Well I was up at 2:30am watching the BOS CAVS game 4..

Ratings may not have been affected

FLDFSU
04-28-2015, 12:59 PM
So again, those advocating for a top 16 because it would be "fair" what regular season format would you use?

Everyone plays each other 2x? 4x? Only once?

Hey Yo
04-28-2015, 01:02 PM
So wait, are you telling me that the NBA would *gasp* adjust the scheduled start times for the series that will produce the most ratings?
FANS want to be able watch THEIR teams, regardless of who they're playing

You're the one who's retarded in thinking that the NBA can decide the start time of a series anytime they want.

Droid101
04-28-2015, 01:07 PM
You're the one who's retarded in thinking that the NBA can decide the start time of a series anytime they want.
Yeah, I guess that's why the game start times are planned out so far in advance..

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0o0tTas_CBc/VT--NIDTSnI/AAAAAAAAug4/6qOnM5IY-eg/w494-h481-no/Capture.PNG

Oops!

Bernkastel
04-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Fixed that for you.

Schedule suitability is more important for first round matches. Which is why all major American sports leagues do it.

Hittin_Shots
04-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Just get America to adopt the same tkmezone.across the board. Problem solved...

Droid101
04-28-2015, 01:12 PM
Schedule suitability is more important for first round matches. Which is why all major American sports leagues do it.
Yeah, totally.

That's why Kansas City played the Angels, the Dodgers played against St. Louis, and San Fran played the Nationals in the MLB first round last year. Geographic schedule suitability.

Droid101
04-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Seriously, you're both talking out of your ass, straight making shit up. Stop it.

Hey Yo
04-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I guess that's why the game start times are planned out so far in advance..

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0o0tTas_CBc/VT--NIDTSnI/AAAAAAAAug4/6qOnM5IY-eg/w494-h481-no/Capture.PNG

Oops!
:oldlol: you're so ****ing dumb.

Lemme guess Chicago @ Milwaukee 10:30est and Los Angeles @ San Antonio at 7:00est?

Naaaaaaaaa I doubt the NBA would do that because they're not as ****ing dumb as you. They cater to THE FANS of the teams.

Hittin_Shots
04-28-2015, 01:21 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/-3hM9SedVo1NEKykHe9UeiZTl_en5KpaEFTwB2XTD_SIGMwFW88 BJvkBz5FnclXOeW-jlQPD6ZGQeClB3EN2QvvzESRFCl1Ix7nZY8RFv4vio9pzpRi4M 6R4=w449-h328-nc

2hour time zone diff largest For one state, rest half hour

icewill36
04-28-2015, 01:23 PM
the matchups wont be any better changing the format. the only intrigue is you get to see a lot of teams matched up you would never get to see otherwise unless they met in the finals, which isnt likely

just leave it alone.

Droid101
04-28-2015, 01:25 PM
They cater to THE FANS of the teams.
:oldlol:

The NBA caters to $$$$$$$.

Droid101
04-28-2015, 01:33 PM
Bottom line: Do you think that Russell Westbrook being in the playoffs brings less interest and ratings to the NBA than Deron Williams?

Do you think the Hawks/Nets matchup is as interesting and ratings-grabbing than Harden vs. his old team and Westbrook?

You're fooling yourselves if you think this is a bad thing.

aj1987
04-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Bottom line: Do you think that Russell Westbrook being in the playoffs brings less interest and ratings to the NBA than Deron Williams?

Do you think the Hawks/Nets matchup is as interesting and ratings-grabbing than Harden vs. his old team and Westbrook?

You're fooling yourselves if you think this is a bad thing.
Getting Westbrook into the playoffs is not worth changing the format, you ****ing thick headed idiot.

Droid101
04-28-2015, 01:41 PM
Getting Westbrook into the playoffs is not worth changing the format, you ****ing thick headed idiot.
And yet, straight from the commish's mouth:

"Ultimately we want to see your best teams in the playoffs. And there (currently) is an imbalance and a certain unfairness. ... A lot of owners have strong feelings on it, but I think it is an area where we need to make a change."

So, any other theories?

aj1987
04-28-2015, 01:57 PM
And yet, straight from the commish's mouth:

So, any other theories?
I didn't say it's not going to happen. I never did. All I'm saying is that it's not worth it. Literally one EC team would've been replaced by one WC team. That's it. Getting rid of the conferences for one team? That's just idiotic.

Bernkastel
04-28-2015, 02:00 PM
Flopping is a more pressing matter than this. Of course Silver won't fix that any time soon because a bunch of top draws would get exposed.

Hittin_Shots
04-28-2015, 02:04 PM
I didn't say it's not going to happen. I never did. All I'm saying is that it's not worth it. Literally one EC team would've been replaced by one WC team. That's it. Getting rid of the conferences for one team? That's just idiotic.

People aren't exactly annoyed at who is missing out down the bottom of the stronger division, but the fact the stronger division has to play against stronger opponents each round.

Top 16 has the 1st play 16th and so on whereas atm you got some like spurs clips of 3rd vs 5th or so. Whereas they'd be playing 14th and 12th

DMAVS41
04-28-2015, 02:32 PM
How would the Hawks not be deserving of the NBA title in that case? How do you know what the Hawks can do? I recall a very many people claiming that the Mavs could never win the NBA championship given their path...

Should the 2011 Mavs pack their bags and refuse to play in the playoffs that year?

And like I said, the only way to get "fairness" is to have everyone play each other 1 or 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 times in the regular season. Which will probably never happen.

I will say it again. The Green Bay Packers or the San Francisco 49ers can jump up and down screaming about how if they were in the Superbowl they would have defeated the Pats and the Broncos...the fact of the matter is you cannot defeat the Seahawks...

You are not the best team in the NFL.

The Seahawks can jump up and down screaming about how much harder their path to the SB was than the Patriots...the fact of the matter is you did beat the Pats when given the chance...

Therefore you are not the best team in the NFL.

You simply don't know math. If you think that the Spurs would have the same chance to win it all as the 6th seed in the West and the 2nd seed in the East.

You are just ignorant.

Also, we said its more fair. Obviously no system is likely to be perfect. But, as usual, you straw man and no argument.

What is the argument for keeping it the same?

oarabbus
04-28-2015, 02:34 PM
You simply don't know math. If you think that the Spurs would have the same chance to win it all as the 6th seed in the West and the 2nd seed in the East.

You are just ignorant.

Also, we said its more fair. Obviously no system is likely to be perfect. But, as usual, you straw man and no argument.

What is the argument for keeping it the same?

He's a lebron jockrider dude. You are wasting your time arguing with him, he has no incentive to be rational or frame his argument as anything that might make Lebron look even a tiny bit bad.

Legends66NBA7
04-28-2015, 02:47 PM
If it happens, I'll be fine with it. Don't really have a side on it either way. Not like Toronto's going anywhere either. Just means that the team needs more talent to compete, which is a good thing.

Don't get comparing the NBA to the MLB or NFL. Different sports and leagues, especially considering the NFL playoff game is 1 game not a series.

oarabbus
04-28-2015, 03:06 PM
If it happens, I'll be fine with it. Don't really have a side on it either way. Not like Toronto's going anywhere either. Just means that the team needs more talent to compete, which is a good thing.

Don't get comparing the NBA to the MLB or NFL. Different sports and leagues, especially considering the NFL playoff game is 1 game not a series.

Nothing wrong with it actually. Instead of top 16 making something like the AFC/NFC and AL/NL could be quite good, since the East is just weak outside a few teams

Dave3
04-28-2015, 03:07 PM
As opposed to what happened to the Raptors in the East?

guy
04-28-2015, 11:19 PM

Which Western Conference team over the last 15 years actually wins the title if the format was different? There's only been 5 championship teams from the East in the last 15 years and they were all probably better then any Western Conference team in those years regardless of the format.

This idea that the Western Conference beats each other up so much leading to the Finals that they're much more worn down then the Eastern Conference over the last 15 years is unfounded. In fact, the Eastern Finals team has actually played MORE games then the Western Finals team (358 to 339), which obviously means they had to play more games leading up to the Finals. In fact, only in two years, 2003 and 2014, did the WC team play more games then the EC team.

Legends66NBA7
04-28-2015, 11:23 PM
Which Western Conference team over the last 15 years actually wins the title if the format was different? There's only been 5 championship teams from the East in the last 15 years and they were all probably better then any Western Conference team in those years regardless of the format .

04 Spurs over the 04 Pistons.

06 Spurs over the 06 Heat.

Just my opinion, thought they just matchup better.

34-24 Footwork
04-28-2015, 11:42 PM
The ONLY people advocating for no changes are fans of eastern conference teams and Bran stans who wanna experience the path of least resistance year after year. Extremely shameless and embarrassing. :facepalm

kav23
04-28-2015, 11:50 PM
Your reseeded first round for 2015: Warriors-Celtics (1/16), Hawks-Bucks (2/15), Rockets-Thunder (3/14), Clippers-Pelicans (4/13), Grizzlies-Wizards (5/12), Spurs-Raptors (6/11), Cavs-Mavs (7/10), Blazers-Bulls (8/9)

So the bracket would be
1. Warriors vs. 16. Celtics
8. Blazers vs. 9. Bulls

4. Clippers vs. 13. Pelicans
5. Grizzlies vs. 12. Wizards

2. Hawks vs. 15. Bucks
7. Cavs vs. 10. Mavs

3. Rockets vs. 14. Thunder
6. Spurs vs. 11. Raptors

If the top seeds all win, we'd have this second round:
1. Warriors vs. 8. Blazers
4. Clippers vs. 5. Grizzlies

2. Hawks vs. 7. Cavs
3. Rockets vs. 6. Spurs

So we'd get 6 west teams and 2 east teams in the second round. Hawks/Cavs would be second round instead of conference finals.

If the top seeds continue to win, we'd have this third round:
1. Warriors vs. 4. Clippers
2. Hawks vs. 3. Rockets

and this final
1. Warriors vs. 2 Hawks

Warriors would go through Celtics, Blazers, Clippers to get to the finals.
Hawks would go through Bucks, Cavs, and Rockets to get to the finals.

34-24 Footwork
04-29-2015, 12:06 AM
If there won't be any changes to the format, then there needs to be some team swaps from conference to conference.

East gets Dallas, Houston, Memphis and San Antonio

West Gets Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana and Toronto

:applause: :applause:

kav23
04-29-2015, 12:11 AM
Realigning conferences/divisions geographically would look like this:

West
Pacific: Blazers, Clippers, Kings, Lakers, Warriors
Southwest: Jazz, Mavs, Nuggets, Rockets, Spurs, Suns, Thunder

East
Atlantic: Celtics, Knicks, Nets, Sixers, Wizards
Central: Bucks, Bulls, Cavs, Pacers, Pistons, Raptors, Wolves