PDA

View Full Version : Why do people stan one player?

Prometheus
04-28-2015, 04:51 PM
I honestly want to know what the appeal is. Sure it's normal to have a guy that you root for. If 50% or more of your posting is about one player, that's still reasonable. If that's your guy, support him.

But it's so cringe-worthy to see posters who focus 99% on a single player. This is by far most common for Kobe Bryant, second would be LeBron (though most LBJ stans spend more time discrediting his competition than actually stanning bran) and lately a few guys for Harden.

I mean, don't you see that you look ridiculous? To the point that it honestly seems less like a favorite athlete and more like an actual man crush. There are so many different things happening in the NBA at all times. It's pathetic to be that way.

So really, what gives?

COnDEMnED
04-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Foreigners who don't live in the states, who don't have a team, looking for something to do.

Akrazotile
04-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Same reason you stan one poster.

Youre beta.

lilandywiggins
04-28-2015, 04:55 PM
I see no problem with it.

Prometheus
04-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Same reason you stan one poster.

Youre beta.

What the f*ck are you talking about? Weirdo.

Droid101
04-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Insecurity mostly.

If you can hop on a frontrunner "best player in the league" type player, then it doesn't matter when that guy isn't the best anymore; you just move on to the next one.

Dr Hawk
04-28-2015, 05:01 PM
I have always assumed that those who focus their 99% of their posts are trolls or simply playing a role

Ca$H
04-28-2015, 05:02 PM
I honestly want to know what the appeal is. Sure it's normal to have a guy that you root for. If 50% or more of your posting is about one player, that's still reasonable. If that's your guy, support him.

But it's so cringe-worthy to see posters who focus 99% on a single player. This is by far most common for Kobe Bryant, second would be LeBron (though most LBJ stans spend more time discrediting his competition than actually stanning bran) and lately a few guys for Harden.

I mean, don't you see that you look ridiculous? To the point that it honestly seems less like a favorite athlete and more like an actual man crush. There are so many different things happening in the NBA at all times. It's pathetic to be that way.

So really, what gives?

They have no lives so they live vicariously through their favorite player's success. Examples: dubeta, JT123, LeBron23, and Pauk.

Prometheus
04-28-2015, 05:04 PM
They have no lives so they live vicariously through their favorite player's success. Examples: dubeta, JT123, LeBron23, and Pauk.

Those guys are annoying as f*ck. No doubt. But honestly Kobe stans are still worse. They're so proud to just talk about Kobe all day, every day, and there are so many more of them. Shit's just odd.

And even if it's all just a gimmick or playing a role... f*ckin... why?

Ca$H
04-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Those guys are annoying as f*ck. No doubt. But honestly Kobe stans are still worse. They're so proud to just talk about Kobe all day, every day, and there are so many more of them. Shit's just odd.

Yeah I don't know why Kobe stans still exist. His career is pretty much over. I think there are more Bran stans though.

Crown&Coke
04-28-2015, 05:20 PM
I have always assumed that those who focus their 99% of their posts are trolls or simply playing a role

That's what I think too.

But in the process, they actually morph into that persona

Nash
04-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Insecurity mostly.

If you can hop on a frontrunner "best player in the league" type player, then it doesn't matter when that guy isn't the best anymore; you just move on to the next one.
that is so stupid, get off your high horse jackass. What insecurity? If you have no natural connection to a team its impossible to bother watching their games.

Why do you support the Lakers and not the Clippers? Could it be cuz you had no interest in the irrelevant Clippers pre Paul and Blake? And instead you drifted towards the more exciting and mighty Lakers.

Droid101
04-28-2015, 05:23 PM
that is so stupid, get off your high horse jackass. What insecurity? If you have no natural connection to a team its impossible to bother watching their games.

Why do you support the Lakers and not the Clippers? Could it be cuz you had no interest in the irrelevant Clippers pre Paul and Blake? And instead you drifted towards the more exciting and mighty Lakers.
See the insecurity everybody? So mad.

Marchesk
04-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Wilt Chamberlain

JimmyMcAdocious
04-28-2015, 05:30 PM
On ISH? I think it's more a herd mentality thing.

Heavincent
04-28-2015, 05:35 PM
It is kind of bizarre. It's a lot more fun to root for a team instead of looking for ways to discredit your favorite players teammates

People are goofy.

Akrazotile
04-28-2015, 05:37 PM

Because you know what man, hey, sometimes you just gotta throw a towel over your shiny dome and live on the internet.

It is what it is.

One.

sd3035
04-28-2015, 05:37 PM
It is kind of bizarre. It's a lot more fun to root for a team instead of looking for ways to discredit your favorite players teammates

People are goofy.

unless the teammate is Rondo

sd3035
04-28-2015, 05:38 PM
Because you know what man, hey, sometimes you just gotta throw a towel over your shiny dome and live on the internet.

especially if you can't even hack it as an extra in hollywood

chazzy
04-28-2015, 05:58 PM

It is what it is.

One.
Hahaha you are so paranoid. How many people have you accused as being Josh? #mindrape

poido123
04-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Weak minded individuals.

Loyalty doesn't exist in their world.

chazzy
04-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Foreigners who don't live in the states, who don't have a team
That's actually a sizable percentage of the board

bluechox2
04-28-2015, 06:06 PM
cus they insecure about their team

TheMan
04-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Yeah I don't understand all this stanning. I'm a Bulls fan first and foremost. I love DRose but I also love Jo and Jimmy Buckets as well. MJ is my all time favorite player as he's our franchise GOAT, but I also love Pip, HoGrant, Kukoc, Rodman. Most of my time here when talking about MJ is actually spent on pushing back aganist the attempts at discrediting him by the LeStans, who the OP is 100% right in saying that most of their efforts are based on discrediting past greats instead of actually talking about LBJ's accomplishments. It's like they know they have to knock past greats a peg or two down because LeBron doesn't measure up :confusedshrug:

COnDEMnED
04-28-2015, 06:30 PM
That's actually a sizable percentage of the board
See, I know what I'm talking about. :cheers: Take some ching-chong Filipinos who worship Jordan for example.

Done_And_Done
04-28-2015, 06:32 PM

I would argue that Dubeta and JT have some serious personal issues that need to be ironed out. I understand the appeal with those who choose to troll provisionally but these little twerps take valuable time out of their everyday lives to do this shit. They're committed to their cause. It's probably one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen in my life. To spend moments of your daily existence to spew out bullshit to a bunch of random men on the Internet for a quick rise... Issues man... Issues

Solefade
04-28-2015, 06:34 PM
i like watching one in a generation talents like lebron, they're interesting and rare. i think lebron is a superstar that plays the game the right way and embraces his teammates which is rare for a super star.

i'm a general fan of the sport, i like watching good basketball and don't particularly root for any team, lebron is my dude tho

YouGotServed
04-28-2015, 06:34 PM
Hahaha you are so paranoid. How many people have you accused as being Josh? #mindrape

I have noticed that as well. dude is quick to accuse everyone of being loj. loj living in his head rent free.

Hit_Em
04-28-2015, 06:35 PM
I would argue that Dubeta and JT have some serious personal issues that need to be ironed out. I understand the appeal with those who choose to troll provisionally but these little twerps take valuable time out of their everyday lives to do this shit. They're committed to their cause. It's probably one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen in my life. To spend moments of your daily existence to spew out bullshit to a bunch of random men on the Internet for a quick rise... Issues man... Issues
Why does them trolling bother you.

They do no harm here let dubeta be dubeta and you do you

T_L_P
04-28-2015, 06:36 PM
I see nothing wrong with it.

Been a Spurs fan since 2011 because they got one player. Who cares? :confusedshrug:

COnDEMnED
04-28-2015, 06:39 PM
I see nothing wrong with it.

Been a Spurs fan since 2011 because they got one player. Who cares? :confusedshrug:
Do you live in San Antonio?

SpecialQue
04-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Hero worship mixed with daddy issues and vicarious wish fulfillment. See also: the explosion of superhero movies.

Hit_Em
04-28-2015, 06:41 PM
People who are stans of lbj and kobe do no harm to anyone why does it bother you so much?You can easily ignore them and never see their post.

nba_55
04-28-2015, 06:46 PM
People who are stans of lbj and kobe do no harm to anyone why does it bother you so much?You can easily ignore them and never see their post.

They are too weak mentally to simply ignore them.

Prometheus
04-28-2015, 06:58 PM
I think a lot of you are misunderstanding me. The title of the thread is misleading, so I guess that's on me.

I'm not talking about "player fans". I'm not talking about people who obviously root for a particular player. Solefade, TheMan... you guys are LeBron/Jordan fans, respectively, but while you make that known, you still talk basketball. You don't put out that super cringe-inducing tunnel vision where your entire body of activity on this website is just mindless worship of a single man. This is about the kind of posters who actually focus on only one basketball player for roughly 99% of every post that they make on ISH.

I say Kobe stans are still the most blatant homers of this kind - there are still (even as he's on the verge of retirement and no longer relevant) a number of them who literally mention Kobe in... every... thing... that they say.

And I'm not mad. I'm like a zookeeper who just noticed a rhino fellating a peacock. I'm confused, puzzled, and I just want to understand.

nba_55
04-28-2015, 07:01 PM
I think a lot of you are misunderstanding me. The title of the thread is misleading, so I guess that's on me.

I'm not talking about "player fans". I'm not talking about people who obviously root for a particular player. Solefade, TheMan... you guys are LeBron/Jordan fans, respectively, but while you make that known, you still talk basketball. You don't put out that super cringe-inducing tunnel vision where your entire body of activity on this website is just mindless worship of a single man. This is about the kind of posters who actually focus on only one basketball player for roughly 99% of every post that they make on ISH.

I say Kobe stans are still the most blatant homers of this kind - there are still (even as he's on the verge of retirement and no longer relevant) a number of them who literally mention Kobe in... every... thing... that they say.

And I'm not mad. I'm like a zookeeper who just noticed a rhino fellating a peacock. I'm confused, puzzled, and I just want to understand.

Those guys are in here to get attention by annoying other people. It works, this is why they continue to do it. They make a troll comment that they don't believe in and when someone reply to them, they feel good. For example, GOATbe post a top 10 without Jordan in it, people notice it, reply to him ''what are you smoking? Are you retarded?''. Even if the comments are negative, his mission of getting attention is accomplished.

Prometheus
04-28-2015, 07:03 PM
Those guys are in here to get attention by annoying other people. It works, this is why they continue to do it. They make a troll comment that they don't believe in and when someone reply to them, they feel good.

I think in most cases this is true, but there are some posters who truly seem to believe their bullshit. If those guys are also just trolling, then I guess they're just better at it than the others.

nba_55
04-28-2015, 07:04 PM
I think in most cases this is true, but there are some posters who truly seem to believe their bullshit. If those guys are also just trolling, then I guess they're just better at it than the others.

Like who? Other than 3ball, I don't think anyone else believe their trolling comments. They are way over the top for someone to believe them.

O_City_Thunder
04-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Kevin Durant

Solefade
04-28-2015, 07:23 PM
IMO this really bad/cringey lebron stan thing was a result/chain reaction of kobe stans hating on him and the lebron stans felt like they needed to fiercely defend him

warriorfan
04-28-2015, 07:25 PM

So really, what gives?

:oldlol:

:applause:

sdot_thadon
04-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Hero worship mixed with daddy issues and vicarious wish fulfillment. See also: the explosion of superhero movies.
Bang.

I don't really see anything wrong with defending players you're fans of, to a point of realism of course. Some people go way overboard and it's not just one group in particular, unfortunately it's what makes a board like this one go around. So either ignore the trolling or poke fun at them without getting too emotionally invested as some here do.

**edit**
After seeing the last post prometheus, I feel you. The single minded ones are nuts. I honestly think it has to be calculated trolling. They aren't exclusive to these boards. I've seen a few similar types on boxing boards as well. Is it an illness?(half joking and half serious)

Dr.J4ever
04-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Honestly, in real life most fans I know are team fans. It's only here on this board that I am amazed that there are so many fans of one 1 player to the point that's it's superhero worship to me.

These fans don't seem to care too much about teams and are even less objective discussing history or current history. Everything is slanted to their superhero.

Are you still considered a sports fan if all you do is discuss games that are already part of history? I mean, sports is the "thrill of victory and the agony of defeat", right? So sports is right now, among teams or individuals competing. If you don't care about that, are you a sports fan or a comic book fan?

Spurs m8
04-28-2015, 10:59 PM

So really, what gives?

Closet gays

TheMarkMadsen
04-28-2015, 11:21 PM
most fans will have a favorite player on their favorite team

when that favorite player happens to be an all time legend its very exciting to be a fan of that team/player

when you think player a is better than player b and you sign up for a message board.. you're going to partake in the disccussion if it's a topic about player a vs player b..

We were stanning Clarckson the entire end of the year, because that's what team fans do, they stan their favorite player on their favorite team

Dr.J4ever
04-28-2015, 11:43 PM
most fans will have a favorite player on their favorite team

when that favorite player happens to be an all time legend its very exciting to be a fan of that team/player

when you think player a is better than player b and you sign up for a message board.. you're going to partake in the disccussion if it's a topic about player a vs player b..

We were stanning Clarckson the entire end of the year, because that's what team fans do, they stan their favorite player on their favorite team

And that's perfectly fine. Heck, watch me stan the hell out of Embiid next year. The big but is that he is a 76er, and if he weren't, I might still be an admirer, in the sense that I respect him as a player, but wouldn't idolize him or be proud of him because he's not a Sixer.

chazzy
04-28-2015, 11:45 PM
IMO this really bad/cringey lebron stan thing was a result/chain reaction of kobe stans hating on him and the lebron stans felt like they needed to fiercely defend him
most beta post of the year

Solefade
04-29-2015, 03:44 PM
most beta post of the year

it's true :confusedshrug:

kobe stans are HIV and everything else turned to AIDS cus of them :confusedshrug:

ImKobe
04-29-2015, 03:45 PM
it's true :confusedshrug:

kobe stans are HIV and everything else turned to AIDS cus of them :confusedshrug:

This post is a proof of how insecure people are about Kobe's greatness and his apostles.

Solefade
04-29-2015, 03:51 PM
This post is a proof of how insecure people are about Kobe's greatness and his apostles.

ironically it shows how insecure kobe's fans are that they gotta start hating on guys that are better :confusedshrug: