PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Duncan in 2009-2011?

ArbitraryWater
04-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Seriously.. not a troll thread, but those were his 12-14 seasons...

he looked washed up, declined, keys of the tam handed over to Parker, and then he brilliantly rejuvenated himself from 2012 on. Especially attracting attention in 2013. Is it wrong to say he was somehow a better payer in 2012-2014 than 2009-2011? As weird as it is, thats the way it loks to me... no doubt the Team was better, but he also looked like a much better defensive Player those years.

2008 Duncan exited his prime, but he was still no doubt a superior Player, IMO.

I mean, the difference between Kobe and Duncan from 2008-2010 was huge, then miraculously they were neck to neck again, and Duncan now comfortably besting him, still having an Impact on a contending Team.

Spurs were in a Transition Phase, and fought injuries to key Players such as Manu and Parker (playing hurt) in post-seasons, their role Players were alot weaker, too. This "System" everyone speaks about wasn't truly invented until 2012, with GOAT level ball movement, elite pay on both sides, everyone capable of being the MVP on any night.

ISHGoat
04-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Seriously.. not a troll thread, but thse were his 12-14 seasons...

he looked washed up, declined, keys of the tam handed over to Parker, and then he brilliantly rejuvenated himself from 2012 on. Especially attracting attention in 2013. Is it wrong to say he was somehow a better payer in 2012-2014 than 2009-2011? As weird as it is, thats the way it loks to me... no doubt the Team was better, but he also looked like a much better defensive Player those years.

I mean, the difference between Kobe and Duncan from 2008-2010 was huge, then miraculously they were neck to neck again, and Duncan now comfortably besting him, still having an Impact on a contending Team.

Spurs were in a Transition Phase, and fought injuries to key Players such as Manu and Parker (playing hurt) in post-seasons, their role Players were alot weaker, too. This "System" everyone speaks about wasn't truly invented until 2012, with GOAT level ball movement, elite pay on both sides, everyone capable of being the MVP on any night.

My best guess would be injuries. Having a part of your body not feel healthy will greatly impact performance.

Second best guess is his HGH supplier got arrested

Dizzle-2k7
04-29-2015, 02:50 PM
spurs didnt have a good allaround team back then..

no kawhi, no patty, ..... richard jefferson, etc LOL..

if spurs get kawhi back in 2008 who knows how many chips theyd win already

lilandywiggins
04-29-2015, 02:50 PM
I think it was injuries. He with lost weight making injuries less likely and a little luck, he became healthy enough to contribute well again.

BuffaloBill
04-29-2015, 02:51 PM
My best guess would be injuries. Having a part of your body not feel healthy will greatly impact performance.

Second best guess is his HGH supplier got arrested

I agree. I'd say injuries along with maybe lack of interest. Happens to everybody. In an interview last night he mentioned that he is enjoying the game more now, knowing that his time is winding down.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tim-duncan---i-know-my-time-is-winding-down--so-i-m-enjoying-it-more-102043773.html

ImKobe
04-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Spurs had weaker rosters and he was exposed because he had to do more, plus he wasn't as healthy.

Truth is, he will put up elite numbers in a supporting role, when the defense isn't focused on stopping him, but rather the shooters around him instead.

DMAVS41
04-29-2015, 03:00 PM
He was awesome in 2009 still though. 19/11/4.... Team just fell apart late.

Still very good in 10... Then had a poor year (for him) in 11.

I think his play those years was better than people say.

ArbitraryWater
04-29-2015, 03:01 PM
I agree. I'd say injuries along with maybe lack of interest. Happens to everybody. In an interview last night he mentioned that he is enjoying the game more now, knowing that his time is winding down.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tim-duncan---i-know-my-time-is-winding-down--so-i-m-enjoying-it-more-102043773.html

Spurs had weaker rosters and he was exposed because he had to do more, plus he wasn't as healthy.

Truth is, he will put up elite numbers in a supporting role, when the defense isn't focused on stopping him, but rather the shooters around him instead.

I think both of these are interesting arguments..

Injuries, although we didn't have too many detailed reports (but just a broken down Body generally), which is weird since he was already pretty old, past his prime, yet aged more and got better again.

swagga
04-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Seriously.. not a troll thread, but thse were his 12-14 seasons...

serious answer:

1. bad perimter defense put a lot of stress on duncan those years because of:
- injuries to parker and manu who were still ~30mpg guys
- a decaying richard jefferson and
- lack of depth on the perimeter
2. no other serviceable bigs
- a lot of duncan + bonner
- the other bigs were REALLY washed up
- duncan had to man the middle alone

this in turn made the spurs depend on offense to win, making them run more and exert more energy => tired legs + injuries for duncan.

In the last years they got danny green, kwahi, bellineli and patty mills who assure great perimeter defense and depth. Splitter has also matured and he can defend the rim somewhat. They also have diaw who can take alot of space. So great depth in the frontcourt.

This assures duncan is used for his best skills, and only has to play more in the playoffs, where he gets after resting in the RS.

DMV2
04-29-2015, 03:03 PM
He was still great but I think the Spurs were transitioning from a great all-around defensive team to a great all-around offensive team.

r15mohd
04-29-2015, 03:05 PM
well there was a beasting front court with the best SG in the game going head to head...with the Spurs yearly

Pau/Bynum was too much for TD to handle up front. then add in the X-factors from Kobe and Odom (at times) and it's pretty obvious

ArbitraryWater
04-29-2015, 03:06 PM
well there was a beasting front court with the best SG in the game going head to head...with the Spurs yearly

Pau/Bynum was too much for TD to handle up front. then add in the X-factors from Kobe and Odom (at times) and it's pretty obvious

What does this have to do with Duncan and the team's state from 2009-2011?

Please delet your post, sir.

kennethgriffin
04-29-2015, 03:06 PM
duncans career ended in 2008

hes basically been riding off a legendary team and coach ever since as a role player

swagga
04-29-2015, 03:08 PM

hes basically been riding off a legendary team and coach ever since as a role player

:cry: :cry: :cry:

ArbitraryWater
04-29-2015, 03:10 PM
me in kenneth mode:

so turns out Duncan been doing borderline David Lee production since '08 :yaohappy:

navy
04-29-2015, 03:11 PM
He was asked to do to much.

Odinn
04-29-2015, 03:22 PM
The team was like 1986-87 Celtics in 2007-08 season. Trio without a bench.

It was the transition era. Duncan was better in 2009 and 2010 than 2012-14 span but the team wasn't good enough for playoff success.
In 2010-11 season he didn't have mobility due to massive knee issues.

From 2007-08 to 2009-10 season, that span all but downfall for the entire SAS organization. Not for Duncan.

T_L_P
04-29-2015, 03:23 PM
2009? He wasn't washed up.

He was still very good in 2010 though he faded away in the Playoffs.

2011 was Duncan's "washed up" season. That's when his knees were at their absolute worst and he was carrying around too much weight.

Also, it was Manu's team from 09-11.

BuffaloBill
04-29-2015, 03:31 PM

Better to be a role player than to not be playing at all :cheers:

Cold soul
04-29-2015, 03:34 PM
The team got better players including bench play and system changed for the better. Pop evolved instead playing more inside to Duncan he decided to play more around the perimeter with great shooters and ball movement it opened the floor with better spacing.

WallIn
04-29-2015, 03:41 PM

Role player averaging 18/11/4/2/2 in the playoffs :roll:

dh144498
04-29-2015, 03:42 PM
that was his gay phase. divorce, sucking dudes' cawks, etc.

oarabbus
04-29-2015, 04:15 PM

What's that you say bubblegum? Ended in 08?

Sounds like Kobe's career ended in 96' then :roll:

Leroy Jetson
04-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Role player averaging 18/11/4/2/2 in the playoffs :roll:
Give me 5 "role players" like that as a starting 5 and get a title every year. We don't even need a "star".

AlphaWolf24
04-29-2015, 07:05 PM
Just my opinions, but physically he looks in much better shape.

It looks like he dropped 10 - 15 lbs...the TV announcers even talked about it last night.

If TD got motivated and is on good workout/diet plan then that would help drastically combined with the rest during the regular season.

it awesome watching him still play at a high level at 39 years old....I jumped outta my chair when he blocked Griffin.....blocked Griffin

plowking
04-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Pop found a defensive system that allows his older players to rest more. They play zone all game, which allows players like Diaw and Bonner to get consistent game time, and even Timmy to be out there longer.

For anyone that says teams don't run zone at all in the NBA, then go watch the Spurs. It is about the only thing they run, and teams still haven't figured it out.

T_L_P
04-29-2015, 07:38 PM
Just my opinions, but physically he looks in much better shape.

It looks like he dropped 10 - 15 lbs...the TV announcers even talked about it last night.

If TD got motivated and is on good workout/diet plan then that would help drastically combined with the rest during the regular season.

it awesome watching him still play at a high level at 39 years old....I jumped outta my chair when he blocked Griffin.....blocked Griffin

It's pretty much this.

He wasn't out of shape before. He just had extra weight to bang down low, and that wasn't doing his knees any good and a past-his-prime post player isn't an ideal #1 option.

Now he has arguably the strictest routine in the NBA. Apparently his diet is crazy and all he does in the summer is swim/ride bikes (barely any actual basketball stuff).

Now he's lean as shit and still a force. :applause:

Genaro
04-29-2015, 07:48 PM
The team got better so he doesn't need to carry it, he can play less minutes and can only show during the playoffs. Having Splitter (not much this year though) also allowed him to not have to defend the other's team best offensive big men and focus on help defense.
He is physically better with less weight and can run the floor better.

TheBigVeto
04-30-2015, 04:43 AM
He be chillin then

clipps
04-30-2015, 05:03 AM
He's playing against 2 of the biggest dumbasses in the league when it comes to post defense.